Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,047 members, 7,807,140 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:10 AM

Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! (8414 Views)

Reporter Removes Clothes While Reporting On Ronaldo / Ethiopia Deny Attack On Nigeria Team Bus / Biased Reporting On London Meet -no News On Okagbare Win On Bbc,cnn,diamond Leag (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Tudor6(f): 8:28pm On Jun 02, 2010
why are u all crying? did the article in any way lie? do fraudsters not send millions of scam letters every year?

what exactly are u all ranting about?

journalism is about speaking, reporting and commenting TRUTH.

i'm sure u all will have no complaints if the article said nigeria was a land flowing with milk and honey. . . .keep deceiving yourselves.

go on BBC, una do well!
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Tudor6(f): 8:35pm On Jun 02, 2010
alamsdee:

[size=20pt]its time we all cry out loud on the injustice bn done to the name of our dear country, my question to the BBC, and i'm yet to get an answer from them is, "IF IT IS A CRIME TO BE AN AFRICAN", pls this is an oppurtunity to protest against undue stereotypization of all Nigerians.[/size]

This is funny. . . .just like a man with shiit in his arse instead of looking for how to clean the mess in his butthole, he decides to spend time blaming and confronting the neighbor whoz pointing and laughing at his dirty ass.

what a waste of time.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by tkb417(m): 8:38pm On Jun 02, 2010
Hey mr stupid
Maybe u shd let the journalist write about the negatives of other countries if truly his profiling must talk about the vices in each country
Why didn't he talk about the drug dealings in mexico, the banprutpcy of greece, americas brutality against iraq, racism againt germany and blah blah

How come 419 is the only crime worthy of mentioning

If his comments were in good faith, why did he remove it?
Nonsense
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by reindeer: 8:52pm On Jun 02, 2010
Tudór:

This is funny. . . .just like a man with shiit in his arse instead of looking for how to clean the mess in his butthole, he decides to spend time blaming and confronting the neighbor whoz pointing and laughing at his dirty backside.

what a waste of time.

No one has denied that many Nigerians(not all) are scammers, we all get those messages but the question is ''does that have anything to do with an article about the world cup''?
Funny i think years of brutalisation by our insensitive leaders have blunted some peoples sense of self respect.
No one has a right to stereotype you for any reason,e.g, all nigerians are scammers, all muslims are terrorists, all whites are racists
the bonehead of a reporter should be called to order.simple.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by katme: 8:52pm On Jun 02, 2010
@ Tudor, This episode just taught me that it's actually a 'waste of time' to ignore such malicious and negative comments about the people of a country.  you don't seem to understand that it was a legitimate complaint dat nairalanders lodged against the BBC because the report was way out of context , and we won! the part of the report which nairalanders complained about was removed from the BBC website, if any thing, u shd give up to d guys here in nairaland ,
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by amaureece: 8:54pm On Jun 02, 2010
I wrote to BBC regarding this issue and I got this reply

Dear Mr .
Thank you for your email about the paragraph headlined 'Adopt them because …' in the Nigeria team profile on the BBC Sport website. This passage was intended as humour, but we accept it was inappropriate and have removed it from the site. We apologise for any offence caused.
Lewis Wiltshire,
Editor, BBC Sport website.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Eziachi: 8:58pm On Jun 02, 2010
People, I cannot understand this constant whining about the BBC. Why do you still watch their channel, listen to their radio or go to their website, if you know that they hated you that much? Why not rely on NTA or FRCN website for their unbiased and fantastic journalism?

Many Nigerians were brought up under military dictatorial mentality of news media image of NTA. Often thinking that BBC works like the NTA. Despite funded by the taxpayers of Britain, they are very independent of anybody. Their production is based on the way they see it and not the way you will like it. Therefore, you do not have to watch, listen or go to their first class news website to read anything. The more you write them to whine, the more programme they will do on you because they knew they had an audience. Trust me!

If Lord Triesman’s recent scandal was to happen in Nigeria, it will be all hush-hush but it was the British media that exposed it even though it might harm their world cup-hosting bid for 2018. Last week the BBC had a big tiff with the new Prime minister because he was trying to have a say on who they should have in a prime time political discussion programme and the government ended up not sending any minister to the programme in protest.

Your football federation hired a technically questionable airplane to take your team to South Africa because someone wanted a kickback and if that is not 419, what exactly is? Years of military psycho tele guiding, had made many Nigerians to still think that criticism is a crime and media is there to tell you want you wanted to hear, just like your NTA.

Water (H2o) said that even though he is the one that kill your brother by drowning him, when you finished crying, it is still him-water, which you take to wash off your tears”.
BBC is so bad, still your late president ignore your own NTA and spoke to BBC when none of you cannot find where he was hiding in Saudi Arabia. There is hardly any Nigerian who is somebody that doesn’t have something he has stolen from Nigeria and hiding it in the U.K and you think that BBC and their people are unaware of that? So why shouldn’t BBC take a shot now at you? Just tell me.
Get real people, honestly!!
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by tkb417(m): 9:05pm On Jun 02, 2010
is this difficult to understand?
How is that related to the world cup is the million dollar question?
Too much talk

BBC goofed simple
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by tkb417(m): 9:09pm On Jun 02, 2010
So BBC even apologised?
And some are saying we should have swallowed it cos it was BBC or cos they are whites?

Some Nigerians are useless I swear!!
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Tudor6(f): 9:27pm On Jun 02, 2010
reindeer:

No one has denied that many Nigerians(not all) are scammers, we all get those messages but the question is ''does that have anything to do with an article about the world cup''?
Funny i think years of brutalisation by our insensitive leaders have blunted some peoples sense of self respect.

i laugh. . . . Nigerians are such bloody cowards.

what have[b] YOU[/b] done about the ''years of brutalisation by our insensitive leaders'' as you put it or is it just to sit behind a computer rant and flex muscles for BBC?

No one has a right to stereotype you for any reason,e.g, all nigerians are scammers, all muslims are terrorists, all whites are racists
the bonehead of a reporter should be called to order.simple.
What stereotyping? can u not read? where in the article did the journalist label ALL Nigerians as fraudsters

katme:

@ Tudor, This episode just taught me that it's actually a 'waste of time' to ignore such malicious and negative comments about the people of a country.  you don't seem to understand that it was a legitimate complaint dat nairalanders lodged against the BBC because the report was way out of context ,  and we won! the part of the report which nairalanders complained about was removed from the BBC website,  if any thing, u shd give up to d guys here in nairaland ,  

Yeeeeeeeey!!!!! you won! give it up for the Nairaland champions!!!!! suddenly Nigeria is a better place and all our problems are solved!

rubbish. . . . if you jokers spent half the time and zeal you spend eja.culating coz of a few statements of truth from the BBC on addressing the issues plaguing our country and confronting our leaders who are ruining this country we will be in a better position today.

like I said, what a waste of time.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by folahann(m): 9:32pm On Jun 02, 2010
I just visited the site, couldn't find it in the article. Thank God  it has been removed. Let's keep doing this, remember playstation3 ad and others
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by novaman: 9:32pm On Jun 02, 2010
What I feel the government should do about things like this, they should notify Network stations like DSTV, HITV, MYTV that is they continue to bash Nigeria just like that, they should discontinue the channel for like a year, the same should go for every news channel like CNN and Aljazera; if you talk about current happenings or maybe a story about a 419er, let the story be zero down to those involved, the nation should not tied to such negative news; there are crazy stories about Americans and the British, but that we never be tied to their nations, yet they do that to others. This is common sense, we should make them respect us.

I wish the government can privatise the NTA and parkage them to the level of Aljazera, this people will never try such nonsense againt, the same way that have since started respecting Doha Qatar and UAE simply because of strength of Aljazeera, so CNN can only report what they can confirm, same way Aljazeera can report their own story; it is vis-a-vis , tit for tat. Until we raise the standard of NTA or support a privately owned station (NOT NN24 linked with CNN), then we can balance the news.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by AngieFan(f): 9:33pm On Jun 02, 2010
I took the comment in the way that it was intended, as humour. Some of you guys are so dang sensitive and I wonder if any of you put the same time and effort into petitioning and complaining when it comes to more important issues. The truth is you complain to the BBC because you know you will be listened to. What about the article on the American site which was worst? Did anyone bother to complain in the same vein there? Nope because the Americans do not give a $hit! LOL!
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Eziachi: 9:39pm On Jun 02, 2010
If they apologise to you it because what they had said originally that it was meant for humour, but does their apology now meant that the production team or writer no longer think or associate Nigeria with 419? I wonder how much apology you will get from NTA even if they get it1000% wrong.

They were doing profile of all the participating nations and this includes references to culture, issue relating to the nation, not just head-on football related. Everybody in the world of sports especially football associates English people with violence/hooliganism. That is a fact that English people cannot get away from anytime they travel to tournaments anywhere and they do get rough treatment more than any other nations fans in the hand of local police because of that.

You cannot see English people whining on why you call us hooligans if only few people are doing it. Rather both their FA, police, immigration has continuously worked hard to prevent hooligans travelling. If you do not like the tag of 419 even when issue in discussion is about sport, then let you and your govt do something. 419ers are not ghost; they are your brothers, sister, uncles etc.

This is like Italians complaining about being tagged with Mafioso, even in football matters. No chance!
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by katme: 9:40pm On Jun 02, 2010
Eziachi:

People, I cannot understand this constant whining about the BBC. Why do you still watch their channel, listen to their radio or go to their website, if you know that they hated you that much? Why not rely on NTA or FRCN website for their unbiased and fantastic journalism?

Without doubt, the BBC is a highly credible and responsive news network, thats why we listen to them. I mean they are so responsive, they answered  about 23,000 complaints from the audience only in the month of April 2010  http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/pdf/summary_apr10.pdf ,  And you should agree wit me that whenever they cross the line from objectivity to bias, then its the responsibility of its audience to call their attention to it ,  A commendable thing nairalanders did by lodging their complaints, ok?
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by novaman: 9:50pm On Jun 02, 2010
AngieFan:

I took the comment in the way that it was intended, as humour. Some of you guys are so dang sensitive and I wonder if any of you put the same time and effort into petitioning and complaining when it comes to more important issues. The truth is you complain to the BBC because you know you will be listened to. What about the article on the American site which was worst? Did anyone bother to complain in the same vein there? Nope because the Americans do not give a $hit! LOL!

Its ok if you think others can do to us what we cannot do to them; but I want you to understand that it is not right because you of all people should know that there are worse news within America and in the UK that they don't allow get to the international audience, that is why they get support from their government, do you really think they are independent; BIG JOKE! have you asked why Aljazeera have not been allowed to penetrate America. We know their are corrupt people in Nigeria, that is the same way we have them across the world in all nation, even in Rome. We have to understand that the same way it is not right for the police to arrest me or you for our brother's crime that is the same way they should understand that their are other good people like you and I living that country, same way people living Jamaica are known for hemp smoking, but Nigeria is seen as a drug nation ahead of countries like South Africa and Jamaica that have worst cases
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Aderupoko2: 9:53pm On Jun 02, 2010
Much as its true that 419 has given Nigeria a bad image locally and internationally,we as Nigerians should not join those that are bent on spoiling the image the more.Last year I travelled to Kenya and bought one of their dailies and it was a tale of corruption from page one till the back page,nothing was spared and I began to wonder,why is it that nobody is castigating this country for this.Britain became great as a result of massive looting and degrading of unforunate colonies.Is harlibourton and Siemens  Nigerian companies?Don't Indians dupe Nigerian businessmen?Corruption is global but Nigeria's case has been over hyped.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by novaman: 10:06pm On Jun 02, 2010
Eziachi:

If they apologise to you it because what they had said originally that it was meant for humour, but does their apology now meant that the production team or writer no longer think or associate Nigeria with 419? I wonder how much apology you will get from NTA even if they get it1000% wrong.

They were doing profile of all the participating nations and this includes references to culture, issue relating to the nation, not just head-on football related. Everybody in the world of sports especially football associates English people with violence/hooliganism. That is a fact that English people cannot get away from anytime they travel to tournaments anywhere and they do get rough treatment more than any other nations fans in the hand of local police because of that.

You cannot see English people whining on why you call us hooligans if only few people are doing it. Rather both their FA, police, immigration has continuously worked hard to prevent hooligans travelling. If you do not like the tag of 419 even when issue in discussion is about sport, then let you and your govt do something. 419ers are not ghost; they are your brothers, sister, uncles etc.

This is like Italians complaining about being tagged with Mafioso, even in football matters. No chance!

The English people are not regarded as hooligans in any news aired by BBC, SKY or CNN, check it properly they single out those hooligans and they don't attach sporting hooligans to other stories, the same way they don't attached unrelated news to sports; it is a known fact that each time the English football team are going for tournaments, SOME die-hard fans who are sometimes regarded as hooligans try to find their way to the venue, but you can never find such news about sporting hooligans being linked with any regular story; what they simply do is attach every negative story about fraud and add the name NIGERIA, they don't care about; first they do the damage, then they wait for us to complain then they apologies and that is the end of story. Something must be done, this cannot continue, we know not all Italians are mafia, same way we know not all Arabs are terrorist.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by DisGuy: 10:08pm On Jun 02, 2010
Well done guys for making your voice heard - GOOD THING WE NIGERIANS HAVE A WAY TO COMPLAIN ABOUT A FOREIGN STATION- its a shame we cant complain about programmes on NTA through the wonderful website

thank you jare, funny thing is that is one of the only website nigeria get their news, football etc from! its very common to see someone proving a point about news stories by posting the BBC. Chances are people will rely on the BBC website for nigerian team news- as the local media cant be bothered
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by DisGuy: 10:10pm On Jun 02, 2010
novaman:

The English people are not regarded as hooligans in any news aired by BBC, SKY or CNN, check it properly they single out those hooligans and they don't attach sporting hooligans to other stories, the same way they don't attached unrelated news to sports; it is a known fact that each time the English football team are going for tournaments, SOME die-hard fans who are sometimes regarded as hooligans try to find their way to the venue, but you can never find such news about sporting hooligans being linked with any regular story; what they simply do is attach every negative story about fraud and add the name NIGERIA, they don't care about; first they do the damage, then they wait for us to complain then they apologies and that is the end of story. Something must be done, this cannot continue, we know not all Italians are mafia, same way we know not all Arabs are terrorist.

Chinese phones are fake in nigeria remember ti.t for tat  grin
something like what? a letter from the ambassador?
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by novaman: 10:11pm On Jun 02, 2010
Aderupoko2:

Much as its true that 419 has given Nigeria a bad image locally and internationally,we as Nigerians should not join those that are bent on spoiling the image the more.Last year I travelled to Kenya and bought one of their dailies and it was a tale of corruption from page one till the back page,nothing was spared and I began to wonder,why is it that nobody is castigating this country for this.Britain became great as a result of massive looting and degrading of unforunate colonies.Is harlibourton and Siemens  Nigerian companies?Don't Indians dupe Nigerian businessmen?Corruption is global but Nigeria's case has been over hyped.

Thank you very much, please ask them what type of corruption is bigger than slavery; we know what Africans suffered in the hands of this people yet they regards us as corrupt, we know what they have done in the Delta region, yet they say we are corrupt, I will not support corrupt, same way I will not accept a bad name.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by novaman: 10:13pm On Jun 02, 2010
Aderupoko2:

Thank you very much, please ask them what type of corruption is bigger than slavery; we know what Africans suffered in the hands of this people yet they regards us as corrupt, we know what they have done in the Delta region, yet they say we are corrupt, I will not support corrupt, same way I will not accept a bad name.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by novaman: 10:28pm On Jun 02, 2010
We agree that we cannot apologies to NTA, and it is also true that we get most of our news from the BBC; for NTA it think when they are privatised and made to run like the BBC, CNN or Aljazeera, then we can querry them, right now they work for the government and there is little we can do. The bashing from the BBC is not against the government but the people of Nigeria; getting good information like sports and entertainment from you doesn't mean you should mess with me; but to think of it I never rely on BBC for anything, Aljazeera and CNN for regular news, Goal.com for football news, and E! for entertainment, so if the government blacklist them from the networks, and the Internet companies, then they should go to hell
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by tkb417(m): 10:32pm On Jun 02, 2010
Is this thread still alive?

Cheap ass twats with no brains
419 this 419 that? Why didn't the poof say the britons are hooligans and let's see how 'humurous' it will sound in the ears of an average briton
If some 9jas are used to been abused,cursed, molested, beaten, raped et al for no reason, I tkb refuse to be a part of the stupid few

Even if we are all 419ers, how does that affect a global sporting event?
Did he mention the recent bribery cases that bedevilled the italian football scenes while profiling the Italians? Moreso when the bribery cases happened within the football fraternity
Did he say anythn about it?
The mofo is not different from those who write for This Day Newspaper
What a dolt!
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by semid4lyfe(m): 11:34pm On Jun 02, 2010
tkb417:

Cheap backside twats with no brains
419 this 419 that? Why didn't the poof say the britons are hooligans and let's see how 'humurous' it will sound in the ears of an average briton
If some 9jas are used to been abused,cursed, molested, beaten, despoiled et al for no reason, I tkb refuse to be a part of the silly few

Did he mention the recent bribery cases that bedevilled the italian football scenes while profiling the Italians? Moreso when the bribery cases happened within the football fraternity
What a dolt!
Chop Knuckle jare. Some Nigerians are just daft & plain silly and unfortunately many of them are on this thread. Wetin relate and join Super Eagles with 419? undecided

Even the BBC has admitted the 419 part was offensive and inappropriate and has pulled it from the article. . .EOD! All these bastards that point at their father's house with their left hands sef. . . .shame on all of una!

Shioor!
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Mudley313: 11:50pm On Jun 02, 2010
Guys, lets join hands to remove this fox news own. its way more offensive, fraught with inaccuracies and an outright slap in the face of all nigerians. Abeg, let start a campaign on this one:

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/32countries/story/Nigeria-32-teams-in-32-days
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Mudley313: 11:52pm On Jun 02, 2010
Contact FOX through this link:

http://msn.foxsports.com/feedback

This rubbish need to end. F.cking crackers angry
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Mubz(m): 4:35am On Jun 03, 2010
Well this was written about france too, so i suppose its a general overview of each country as a whole , I couldn't complain

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8660495.stm
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by illusion2: 6:45am On Jun 03, 2010
Mubz:

Well this was written about france too, so i suppose its a general overview of each country as a whole , I couldn't complain

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8660495.stm
Don't take such a dim view my friend. Let the french handle their own you do yours !

Thank you all for responding accordingly ! Lets go around a search out such falsehoods on the internet and post it here so we can debunk.

I just did the same for the foxsports comments.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by chelseabmw(m): 7:04am On Jun 03, 2010
God punish BBC.GO PUNISH BRITAINS
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Tudor6(f): 7:48am On Jun 03, 2010
tkb417:

Cheap backside twats with no brains
If some 9jas are used to been abused,cursed, molested, beaten, despoiled et al for no reason, I tkb refuse to be a part of the silly few

What a dolt!

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHAAAAAAHAAHHHHHAAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant BELIEVE a NIGERIAN is saying this ROFL!!!! mo gbe!!

[size=16pt]50 FUKCING YEARS YOU'VE BEEN CURSED< ABUSED< MOLESTED< RAPED<SCREWED OVER etc BY THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT[/size] shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked WHAT HAVE YOU DONE ABOUT IT?

Then all of a sudden, the BBC cracks a joke THEN you see all of them pissants falling over themselves to see who can make the most noise. . . . . who are you all deceiving?

'' I tkb refuse to be a part of the silly few''- indeed.

you tkb do you not know the way to aso rock? chicken hearted fools!

Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by tkb417(m): 8:08am On Jun 03, 2010
you want to start with me again Tudor?

you wanna start?

just free me o cos i nor get your time

50 fcking years, ive been abused; says who?

1- im not 50 yrs and you dont even know where ive lived all ma years so why make unncessary comments you cant sleep on
2- cowardice is answering yes sir when oyinbos call you foolish, bravery is calling an oyinbo man a dumbo and a jackass when he makes unintelligent statements

at least, some of us didnt take the insults and we all saw the results
now kindly leave the thread and go play somewhere cos this thread is for those who feel insulted and not those who licks oyinbos man asses
are we clear?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

(1:0) 2 H Means What. HELP / Rashidi Yekini Immortalized By Kwara State Government / Blessing Okagbare Wins 100M In Monaco Diamond League

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.