Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,002 members, 7,806,918 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? (50880 Views)

Why Is The Programming Language Called "Java" Based On A Coffee Type Name? / Any Job Prospect For One Who Studies Software Engineering At NIIT Please? / Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jun 11, 2018
englistic
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by spenca: 6:47pm On Jun 11, 2018
English language graduate
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Shobowalebola: 6:47pm On Jun 11, 2018
English linguist
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by dabaniru: 6:49pm On Jun 11, 2018
AndroBlaze:

I strongly disagree with this.

In most English Speaking Countries anyone who has a strong and formal understanding of a "Foreign" language(s) could be termed a Linguist. Thus if you have have a strong formal grasp of French, calling you a linguist would not be far off.

However you would not be termed a linguist because you studied "English" in an "English" speaking country as:

1. it is not foreign to us
2. Most of the course has to do with English literature and logical thinking and not the scientific "break down" of the language as you highlighted.

The answer is:
1. An English Graduate in the UK and most of the CommonWealth
2. An English Major in the US.

Therefore you should only be termed a Linguist in an English Speaking country if:

1. You have mastered Foreign Languages
2. You study Linguistics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_studies

Hi Blaze, Just wondering what informed your position that a linguist would have to master foreign languages. First, one who is well grounded in multiple languages is a "polyglot" and not necessarily a linguist.

Next, if you read through "your" links, you would learn that linguistics is an important field in English Studies. So again, it beats me why you insist that studying the language does not make you a linguist simply because it is your spoken language - weird logic I must say.

Now, if your position was that studying a course does not automatically bestow you the right to d title ( e.g. not all mathematics students should be called mathematicians), then I might agree with you - since the mere decision to study a course does not make one a master of that course.

So OP, for d sake of clarity, anyone who studies a language and 'masters' the structure, history, grammar, dialects, etc.of that language, can be called a Linguist. To put this in context, your friend studying English Language is studying to be a linguist.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jun 11, 2018
Uyiii:
hi kimbraa. The person is called a Linguist irrespective of the language studied.
English, French, Bini are all languages and if you should study any of these languages, you'll be referred to as a LINGUIST.

peeps saying Linguist should only come in when we talking about foreign languages are only knowledgeable about one side of it's meaning.
Check the meaning of Linguistics, this should do justice to your question.

cheers.
@embolden was exactly what my Linguist room mate told me. I kind of felt they were taught so didn't have much facts to back my claims and when I asked if English isn't a foreign language, she backed out.
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by TeamSimple(m): 6:58pm On Jun 11, 2018
Pedekunle:

You captured my mind.

A linguist must combine, at least, knowledge of a foreign language with the primary language of study. Thus, there is the large tendencies of COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS in the work that qualifies you to be called a linguist.

The study of one pure language such as English doen't make you a linguist even though that is what most students are made to believe
Comparative analysis isn't the basis for being a linguist . There is one common thing about all languages which is the systems of a language , these systems can be found in all languages and that serves as a basis for language study (Linguistics) . The systems are morphology, syntax and Semantics. These three systems can be found in all human languages . Therefore if i study the systems of my own mother tongue ( which probably is the only language I speak) that still qualifies me as a linguist.

Linguistics is the study of language. A linguist is one who study linguistics .
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Yesbody: 7:00pm On Jun 11, 2018
someone who studied physics is called physicist
So someone who studied English should be called Englistic
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jun 11, 2018
cpapa:
it's called Francis
francais I suppose right?

1 Like

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Essential(m): 7:03pm On Jun 11, 2018
kimbraa:
So, months back while in my friend's room, her room mate asked a question and it goes; "A person who studies/studied English language is called what? Well, I said he/she is a linguist, and she asked if I was sure. Told her to check on google, but she said she couldn't find the answer to it on google. Just this night, I remembered to ask a linguist in my room the same question, and she said I was wrong as studying a language doesn't make one a linguist, but she can't answer the question. Where are my English and Literature students? What's a person who studies/studied English Language called?
simple question and simple answer. the person that study english is called englistian. clap for me.
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by sirBLUNT: 7:05pm On Jun 11, 2018
missjoy29 what are you called?
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by lx3as(m): 7:11pm On Jun 11, 2018
Fianze93:

I agree...

Just add

Psychoanalist grin
Historiangrin

If you studied English and your school is not one of those schools that give you the option of choosing from one of these major divisions... Then just call your self an English graduate

But if you had selected and majored in one, say Discourse Analysis for instance, then you are a Discourse Analyst.

As a graduate of English, I major in sociolinguistics (under Language) while my friend went for Creative writing (Literature) right at the 4th year in the University. Our first degree's projects were in these areas.

There are several areas under Language, Literature and other Literary Studies which includes Theater workshop in my School. I have friends that are actors and actresses today; some are newscasters, Editors, etc.

Just call them: English Graduates!

2 Likes

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by dlaw70(m): 7:14pm On Jun 11, 2018
saintkeppy:

grin I was banned by the Mods since 18th May I cud'nt post anything, it was lifted few days ago, kinda busy to sit down to forecast, besides major leagues had ended but I will return hopefully this weekend to post world cup games. smiley

Take Care!
u done d behave well now
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by dlaw70(m): 7:18pm On Jun 11, 2018
A person who study english is called an English

u said u checked google and couldnt get d answzer so pls dnt go bk to disturb google wit my answer
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Amazinpeace(f): 7:29pm On Jun 11, 2018
A grammarian
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Youngados(m): 7:33pm On Jun 11, 2018
A person who studies/studied English Language is called Englishian. (Put your hands together for me)
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by donbachi(m): 7:35pm On Jun 11, 2018
Englishian/Englistist
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by ComrArk: 7:39pm On Jun 11, 2018
Anyone studying English is an English language student.
A linguist studies linguistics. Linguistics is like a tree while English, french, Edo, Yoruba, Igbo e.t.c are it branches. A linguist is more groomed than any particular language student. Even someone that study many language is not a linguist, he/she is a polyglot and the study is polyglotism.
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by mohiozua(m): 7:40pm On Jun 11, 2018
asuustrike2009:
Linguistics is the scientific study of language and its structure, including the study of grammar, syntax, and phonetics. We have various type of linguistics. They include linguistics in English, linguistics in French , linguistics in Yoruba, Linguistics in Efik and among others. A person who studies a language is called a linguist. Hence if I study French or English I am a linguist.

Wrong. If one studies a language or languages, one is a graduate of such language or a polyglot (if one studies/studied more than one language)
A linguist is one who studied linguistics. This is totally different from a polyglot.
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Diso60090(m): 7:43pm On Jun 11, 2018
They are called the British or England
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by mickeyenglish(m): 7:45pm On Jun 11, 2018
lx3as:

As a graduate of English, I major in sociolinguistics (under Language) while my friend went for Creative writing (Literature) right at the 4th year in the University. Our first degree's projects were in these areas.

There are several areas under Language, Literature and other Literary Studies which includes Theater workshop in my School. I have friends that are actors and actresses today; some are newscasters, Editors, etc.

Just call them: English Graduate!

Same here. No thanks to courses such as Semantics,Psycholinguistics and,Discourse Analysis itself, i was able to finally major in the field of Discourse Analysis (CDA to be precise), and my project was super dope.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Duru009(m): 7:45pm On Jun 11, 2018
asuustrike2009:
A linguistics is the scientific study of language and its structure, including the study of grammar, syntax, and phonetics. We have various type of linguistics. They include linguistics in English, linguistics in French , linguistics in Yoruba, Linguistics in Efik and among others. A person who studies a language is called a linguist. Hence if I study French or English I am a linguist

First class product !
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Maxking1: 7:48pm On Jun 11, 2018
ANGLOPHONE
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by drayboi(m): 7:53pm On Jun 11, 2018
;Dit should be ENGLISHIAN
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Shakeeraw(f): 7:57pm On Jun 11, 2018
A grammarian
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by proff010: 7:58pm On Jun 11, 2018
England
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by EnnyIritzy: 7:59pm On Jun 11, 2018
Why do we have to waist our mb to read news, comment on each post, not only that, we even procede to like and reply to every post, comment .
Imma bein tired, do yo think men have to save 'em mb ?
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jun 11, 2018
A Grammarian
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Pacesetter123(m): 8:09pm On Jun 11, 2018
AndroBlaze:

I strongly disagree with this.

In most English Speaking Countries anyone who has a strong and formal understanding of a "Foreign" language(s) could be termed a Linguist. Thus if you have have a strong formal grasp of French, calling you a linguist would not be far off.

However you would not be termed a linguist because you studied "English" in an "English" speaking country as:

1. it is not foreign to us
2. Most of the course has to do with English literature and logical thinking and not the scientific "break down" of the language as you highlighted.

The answer is:
1. An English Graduate in the UK and most of the CommonWealth
2. An English Major in the US.

Therefore you should only be termed a Linguist in an English Speaking country if:

1. You have mastered Foreign Languages
2. You study Linguistics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_studies

Den wot is it called?
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by BabaIbo: 8:10pm On Jun 11, 2018
GrammarNazi1:

...Google...

Typing
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by karlboss: 8:11pm On Jun 11, 2018
Smartademu:
Englinguist
Sense no go kill me. grin
So funny
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by KingOfAmebo(m): 8:12pm On Jun 11, 2018
BadmanBinLaden:
An englishcian

Olodo...lol, more like an englishcian working in an englishineering company. We wee not kee somborri.

A linguist is what they are called ooo
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Pacesetter123(m): 8:13pm On Jun 11, 2018
gurunlocker:
English linguist.... Don't thank me cool
Tanks a lot!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria / 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid / So Many People Will Get This Wrong: What Is The Opposite Of Red?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.