Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,026 members, 7,807,036 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:47 AM

What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? (50882 Views)

Why Is The Programming Language Called "Java" Based On A Coffee Type Name? / Any Job Prospect For One Who Studies Software Engineering At NIIT Please? / Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by BabaIbo: 8:13pm On Jun 11, 2018
GrammarNazi1:

...Google...

Mr GrammarNazi1 answer the question and stop directing her to Google.
I am sure if it is to find error in people's comments/replies you won't hesitate to quote them.
Fake grammarian cheesy grin
I know you u will try to find an error in my quote grin

1 Like

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by GrammarNazi1(m): 8:17pm On Jun 11, 2018
BabaIbo:

I am sure if it is to find error in people's comments/replies you won't hesitate to quote them.
I, in fact, pointed out her error! I didn't ask her to check it on Google!
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by gr8tone: 8:17pm On Jun 11, 2018
AndroBlaze:

I strongly disagree with this.

In most English Speaking Countries anyone who has a strong and formal understanding of a "Foreign" language(s) could be termed a Linguist. Thus if you have have a strong formal grasp of French, calling you a linguist would not be far off.

However you would not be termed a linguist because you studied "English" in an "English" speaking country as:

1. it is not foreign to us
2. Most of the course has to do with English literature and logical thinking and not the scientific "break down" of the language as you highlighted.

The answer is:
1. An English Graduate in the UK and most of the CommonWealth
2. An English Major in the US.

Therefore you should only be termed a Linguist in an English Speaking country if:

1. You have mastered Foreign Languages
2. You study Linguistics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_studies

I still stand with the person you quoted sir. Until one studies a foreign language b4 he can be termed a linguist? I find it difficult to believe in spite of the source you gave.
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jun 11, 2018
mohiozua:

Wrong. If one studies a language or languages, one is a graduate of such language or a polyglot (if one studies/studied more than one language)
A linguist is one who studied linguistics. This is totally different from a polyglot.
It just a name. A linguist is someone that studies a language or languages google is there for clarity
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by GrammarNazi1(m): 8:19pm On Jun 11, 2018
BabaIbo:

...find an error...

Or

...find errors...

The second is better in the context of your sentence.

2 Likes

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by KingOfAmebo(m): 8:20pm On Jun 11, 2018
AndroBlaze:

I strongly disagree with this.

In most English Speaking Countries anyone who has a strong and formal understanding of a "Foreign" language(s) could be termed a Linguist. Thus if you have have a strong formal grasp of French, calling you a linguist would not be far off.

However you would not be termed a linguist because you studied "English" in an "English" speaking country as:

1. it is not foreign to us
2. Most of the course has to do with English literature and logical thinking and not the scientific "break down" of the language as you highlighted.

The answer is:
1. An English Graduate in the UK and most of the CommonWealth
2. An English Major in the US.

Therefore you should only be termed a Linguist in an English Speaking country if:

1. You have mastered Foreign Languages
2. You study Linguistics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_studies

A simple check on the definition of a linguist would have saved you all the time and energy you put in typing all that. The last time I checked the meaning of a linguist doesn't elaborate on wether you studied a language as a native or a foreigner. Please save us all this jargons.
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Pacesetter123(m): 8:24pm On Jun 11, 2018
cpapa:
it's called Francis
...........or Francisca if she is a girl graduand grin grin grin
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by fratermathy(m): 8:26pm On Jun 11, 2018
babyfaceafrica:
An English graduate .....linguistics is different abeg.....even topics are different..modules differs...linguist use the minimalist theory by Chomsky for syntax while english use LFG by halliday.......

Wrong! English is a language and all models of grammar can be applied to it. Chomskyan syntax is a core course in all English programmes in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by fratermathy(m): 8:27pm On Jun 11, 2018
Sulemanial:
A PERSON THAT STUDIED MUSIC IS CALLED MUSICIAN WHILE A PERSON THAT STUDIED ENGLISH IS CALLED "ENGLISHIAN" Chikena

Who studied Music is called a Musicologist, not a musician.

There's nothing like Englishian!

2 Likes

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by BabaIbo: 8:31pm On Jun 11, 2018
GrammarNazi1:
...find an error...
Or
...find errors...
I disagree with you, my sentence is correct.
Another way in which I can write it is "find the* error"

2 Likes

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Lazyuth: 8:33pm On Jun 11, 2018

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by fratermathy(m): 8:34pm On Jun 11, 2018
lx3as:

A linguist is one who studies Linguistics.

A graduate of English or being called based on the aspect or area within English the graduand or student chooses as field, eg:

Grammarian

semanticist

Sociolinguist

Poet

writer

critic

playwright

prose-writer, proseman, proser (obsolete)

discourse-analyst, etc.

The most wholesome answer so far.

English is a broad discipline that covers both English linguistics and literary studies. It's so unfortunate that almost all the answers so far have been language-oriented. A graduate of English in the US or Canada can't be called a linguist because English Studies there essentially refers to English Literary Studies. In Nigeria and many other nations, English linguistics and literature are combined and the graduates can't all be called grammarians or linguists as some have posited here.

A general term would simply be: graduates of English.

More specifically, we would have those called:
Critics
Creative Writers
Grammarians
Discourse Analysts
Phoneticians
Phonologists
Pyscholinguists
Literary Historians
Stylisticians
Semanticists
Pragmaticians
And so on.

Stick to generalities or use specifics.

1 Like

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Dammylois(f): 8:38pm On Jun 11, 2018
;DEnglistician
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by BabaIbo: 8:39pm On Jun 11, 2018
KingOfAmebo:

A simple check on the definition of a linguist would have saved you all the time and energy you put in typing all that. The last time I checked the meaning of a linguist doesn't elaborate on wether you studied a language as a native or a foreigner. Please save us all this jargons.

the guy you quoted is actually right according to Google/dictionaries definition of a linguist.

1. A linguist is someone who is good at speaking or learning foreign languages.
2. A person who studies linguistics.

I think you should check Google and see for yourself
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Pacesetter123(m): 8:39pm On Jun 11, 2018
GrammarNazi1:

...find an error...

Or

...find errors...

kikikikikikikiiiiii!
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by gcof(m): 8:43pm On Jun 11, 2018
saintkeppy:
Studied English: English Language Graduate

Studies English: English Language Student

Ok, wait a minute!

English Language Trainee grin

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by nigeria005(m): 8:47pm On Jun 11, 2018
English teacher grin grin
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by saintkeppy(m): 9:00pm On Jun 11, 2018
dlaw70:
u done d behave well now

Whatcha Sayin'hommie?? undecided
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jun 11, 2018
GrammarNazi1:

I, in fact, pointed out her error! I didn't ask her to check it on Google!
If you knew English as much as you claim, you'd have been able to answer this question than pointing out an error that's inconsequential. And stop abusing exclamation marks.

#charlatan. grin
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by saintkeppy(m): 9:10pm On Jun 11, 2018
fratermathy:

The most wholesome answer so far.

English is a broad discipline that covers both English linguistics and literary studies. It's so unfortunate that almost all the answers so far have been language-oriented. A graduate of English in the US or Canada can't be called a linguist because English Studies there essentially refers to English Literary Studies. In Nigeria and many other nations, English linguistics and literature are combined and the graduates can't all be called grammarians or linguists as some have posited here.

A general term would simply be: graduates of English.

More specifically, we would have those called:
Critics
Creative Writers
Grammarians
Discourse Analysts
Phoneticians
Phonologists
Pyscholinguists
Literary Historians
Stylisticians
Semanticists
Pragmaticians
And so on.

Stick to generalities or use specifics.

In conclusion,
Besides the above terms or specifics,
So I was correct by sayin' English Language Graduate or English Language Student??
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jun 11, 2018
kimbraa:
So, months back while in my friend's room, her room mate asked a question and it goes; "A person who studies/studied English language is called what? Well, I said he/she is a linguist, and she asked if I was sure. Told her to check on google, but she said she couldn't find the answer to it on google. Just this night, I remembered to ask a linguist in my room the same question, and she said I was wrong as studying a language doesn't make one a linguist, but she can't answer the question. Where are my English and Literature students? What's a person who studies/studied English Language called?
Answer: "An English."
But when they are many, "The English."
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by fratermathy(m): 9:21pm On Jun 11, 2018
saintkeppy:

In conclusion,
Besides the above terms or specifics,
So I was correct by sayin' English Language Graduate or English Language Student??

100% correct!
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by DECENCY3: 9:22pm On Jun 11, 2018
A person who studies English is ENGLISH STUDENT

A person who studied English is ENGLISH GRADUATE

chai! I really tried
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jun 11, 2018
asuustrike2009:

What would you say for a person that studied French in a French speaking country?
If one studies >
Physics : A Physicist.
Chemistry: A Chemist.
Science: Scientist.
English Language: An English.
French Language: A French.
Igbo Language: An Igbo.
Notice that one of physics, chemistry, ..., doesn't have the word "language" attached to it, hence the suffix "..ist." Otherwise, the first name represents the person.
Plz, note I studied Engineering. Atleast, I know I'm correct above!
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by mannobi(m): 9:27pm On Jun 11, 2018
]A linguistic is the scientific study of language and its structure, including the study of grammar, syntax, and phonetics. We have various type of linguistics. They include linguistic in English, linguistic in French , linguistic in Yoruba, Linguistic in Efik and among others. A person who studies a language is called a linguist. Hence if I study French or English I am a linguist[/quote]
It's Linguistics is the scientific study of language. Not linguistic. Don't massacre the course if you don't know it's a big error to omit the S.
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by GrammarNazi1(m): 9:28pm On Jun 11, 2018
kimbraa:
If you knew English as much as you claim, you'd have been able to answer this question than pointing out an error that's inconsequential. And stop abusing exclamation marks.

#charlatan. grin
Even you know that that was not an abuse of exclamation mark.

Besides, when you make a claim, you have to include evidence. What evidence supports your claim that I abused the exclamation mark in that sentence?
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Joseph96(m): 9:32pm On Jun 11, 2018
kimbraa:
So, months back while in my friend's room, her room mate asked a question and it goes; "A person who studies/studied English language is called what? Well, I said he/she is a linguist, and she asked if I was sure. Told her to check on google, but she said she couldn't find the answer to it on google. Just this night, I remembered to ask a linguist in my room the same question, and she said I was wrong as studying a language doesn't make one a linguist, but she can't answer the question. Where are my English and Literature students? What's a person who studies/studied English Language called?
He/She is a linguist in English!
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by saintkeppy(m): 9:34pm On Jun 11, 2018
fratermathy:

100% correct!

OK...Just wanna cos some Professors like gcof don dey quote me with Oshiomole pishure cheesy
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jun 11, 2018
Drnice2:
Answer: "An English."
But when they are many, "The English."
But if you don't want to use this, in a common sentence, you may say:
One who studies English > "Learner of English."
One who studied English > "Graduate of English."
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Bamibamz: 9:40pm On Jun 11, 2018
kimbraa:
If
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Bamibamz: 9:43pm On Jun 11, 2018
kimbraa:
If the person is still studying English the person is an Englishing but if it is a graduate of English language we call them Englishcian or Englishionist.
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jun 11, 2018
GrammarNazi1:

[s] Even you know that that was not an abuse of exclamation mark. [/s]

Besides, when you make a claim, you have to include evidence. What evidence supports your claim that I abused the exclamation mark in that sentence?

GrammarNazi1:

I, in fact, pointed out her error ! I didn't ask her to check it on Google !
Obviously, the tone in which you wrote with doesn't require exclamation mark, and more especially, your last statement. A full stop would've done justice.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid / So Many People Will Get This Wrong: What Is The Opposite Of Red? / Nasarawa State University Admission List Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.