Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,475 members, 7,781,385 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:37 PM

Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss (7474 Views)

Kogi Tribunal Discourse: Yahaya Bello Is Technically Out / New INEC Chairman: Buhari Is A Sectional Leader, Says Fayose / Prof Mohamood Yusuf: Top 10 Things You Need To Know About The New INEC Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by ELEOVIE(m): 8:07am On Jun 02, 2010
LAGOS—BARRING any last minute change of mind by President Goodluck Jonathan, there are very strong indications that Bukhari Bello would replace out-going National Chairman of Nigeria’s Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, Professor Maurice Iwu and this is authoritative.

In addition, the National Council of State, NCS, a body made up of past heads of state and Chief Justice of the Federation, with all the state governors will meet Thursday to consider the nomination as required by the constitution.

Vanguard can also disclose that Bello’s nomination might have been the indirect result of consultations with a key segment of the Nigerian society: the human rights community.Enquiries by Vanguard, yesterday, revealed that Bello, who might “have been screened and passed fit to be the chairman of INEC, is very capable” of taking charge at INEC.

Contrary to speculations in the media, Vanguard can authoritatively reveal that Nigerians would be shocked at the expected announcement of Bello as the new helmsman at INEC.

Vanguard’s cue on the possible person to replace Professor Iwu was provided by President Jonathan in far away Nice, France. A source said that Mr. President had immuned himself from “the plethora of persons who had been presented as possible replacement.”

Bello, who had been at the helm of affairs at the National Human Rights Commission, NHRC, is said “to be a very energetic and zealous individual.”

Vanguard can confirm that President Jonathan had never met Bello before in his life. In fact, the delay in the announcement, apart from the needed endorsement of the NCS, was caused by Jonathan’s lack of any personal of filial relationship with the nominee. Vanguard can also confirm that Bello’s nomination was the handiwork of a bloc, the human rights community.

Jonathan’s cue

President Jonathan had, Sunday, in France revealed that the final screening for a new INEC Chairman was concluded Saturday night, and would be made known to Nigerians after the National Council of State, NCS, had ratified the nomination.

Jonathan also said that though he had neither seen nor met the new appointee all his life, but from the report of the screening, the new man could possess the needed energy and zeal to conduct credible elections that could stand the test of time.

President Jonathan had also made it clear that none of those being speculated by the Nigerian media came close to the identity of the man that would eventually emerge, noting that throughout his career as civil servant and politician he never met with the lucky Nigerian.

Jonathan, who arrived the Nice International Airport at 3.00 p.m. (local time) narrated how the names of possible nominees (State commissioners) proposed and submitted to him by some governors for consideration were jettisoned simply because of his desire to give the best to Nigerians.

He also noted that after the stabilization of the nation’s polity, one of his priorities was  how to conduct credible elections for Nigerians, adding that he hoped to achieve this by giving it all it takes for the nation to get it right for the first time, in terms of elections where every vote counts, appeared excited at the choice he had made for Nigerians.

By Jide Ajani

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/06/02/bukhari-bello-is-new-inec-boss/
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by ELEOVIE(m): 8:46am On Jun 02, 2010
Who knows this man? undecided
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by ELEOVIE(m): 8:48am On Jun 02, 2010
This is the first time I have heard his name. Well I hope he is going to do a great job this time around.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by jamace(m): 9:36am On Jun 02, 2010
Don't know him too. However, I have a feeling he will deliver since he is from the human rights angle.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by Abagworo(m): 9:43am On Jun 02, 2010
jamace:

Don't know him too. However, I have a feeling he will deliver since he is from the human rights angle.

yes he will.afterall he is bu(k)hari.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by ELEOVIE(m): 9:47am On Jun 02, 2010
bu(k)hari.

he he he he grin grin grin grin
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by desgiezd(m): 10:05am On Jun 02, 2010
http://www.fidh.org/Dismissal-of-the-Executive-Director-of-the

Joint press release : the International Service for Human Rights (ISHR) -/ The Observatory (FIDH - OMCT)Human Rights Defenders
23 June 2006
Dismissal Of The Executive Director of The National Human Rights Commission

PDF Version PrintSend by e-mailShare
The International Service for Human Rights and the Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders, a joint programme of the World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT) and the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), call on the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to revoke the decision to dismiss Mr. Bukhari Bello as Executive Secretary of the National Human Rights Commission of Nigeria (NHRC).
As a member of the United Nations Human Rights Council, Nigeria has the responsibility to uphold the commitments it made upon assuming its seat on the Council. It was on the basis on these commitments that Nigeria was selected to serve on this body in May 2006. Among its commitments, Nigeria pledged “its determination and commitment to continue to promote and protect human rights at home by strengthening and actively supporting the work of the National Human Rights Commission”.

On 19 June 2006, Mr. Bello received a letter from the Federal Ministry of Justice purportedly removing him from the office of Executive Secretary of the Commission. According to the information received, the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria instructed the Attorney General and Minister of Justice to remove Mr. Bello from his office due to discontent on the part of the Government on the positions taken by Mr. Bello.

In particular, the Government appears to have been displeased with comments made by Mr. Bello regarding proposed amendments to the Constitution of Nigeria prolonging the term of office of the Presidency of the Federation as well as his condemnation of the attacks by law enforcement personnel on members of the media, including the arrest and detention of a television journalist.

The purported removal of Mr. Bello from his position constitutes an interference with the independence of the National Human Rights Commission and violates the United Nations principles regulating the status and functioning of National Human Rights Institutions, which are spelled out in the Paris Principles.

The National Human Rights Commission of Nigeria was established by the Act of 1995 as an independent institution mandated to promote and protect human rights, including by monitoring and reporting on the situation of human rights in the country and submitting recommendations on human rights policies and legislation to the government, the parliament and any other relevant bodies.

The decision to remove Mr. Bello also constitutes an attempt to silence the Commission and to prevent it from carrying out its human rights mandate, an act which falls short of international standards established in the United Nations Declaration on human rights defenders. According to Article 6(b) of the Declaration, “Everyone has the right ,  to impart or disseminate to others views, information and knowledge on all human rights and fundamental freedoms.” The Declaration further provides for the right to hold opinions on the observance of human rights and fundamental freedoms, and to draw public attention to those matters.

The International Service for Human Rights and the Observatory call on the government of Nigeria to respect the independence of the National Human Rights Commission and to revoke the decision to remove Mr. Bukhari Bello from his position as Executive Secretary of the Commission.

For more information, please contact:
ISHR: +41 22 733 51 23
OMCT: + 41 22 809 49 39
FIDH: + 33 1 43 55 20 11
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by desgiezd(m): 10:06am On Jun 02, 2010
If he was once dismissed from the National Human Rights Commission for speaking out against third term project of OBJ and also against maltreating members of the press, then he is likely to be his own man and not dance to the tune of government.

This will be another shocker for OBJ
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by TonyTone1: 4:16pm On Jun 02, 2010
Bukhari Bello
Dismissal of Bukhari Bello as Executive Secretary of the National Human Rights Commission of Nigeria
Posted on 2006/07/02

Front Line is concerned by reports received regarding the removal of Bukhari Bello as Executive Secretary of the National Human Rights Commission of Nigeria on 19 June 2006. The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) of Nigeria is recognised as a national human rights institution by the Coordinating Committee of African Human Rights Institutions in accordance with United Nations Paris Principles, however this removal may pose a threat to the independence and integrity of the NHRC.

Bukhari bello seems like a man with integrity from the looks of his former position, as Executive secretary, But many questions come to mind regarding the present structure of INEC, the police and the greedy politicians who would do anything to hijack ballot boxes or sabotage the system, although to some extent i believe the head of any agency in Nigeria can influence it to change its face, but it goes beyond this guy, in my opinion the Uwais report should also be implemented to back this up!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by Fhemmmy: 4:24pm On Jun 02, 2010
Well the fact that we dont really know him could mean that we are getting tired of recycling the leadership of the nations.
However, will wait and see how it goes.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jun 02, 2010
Who is his godfather ?
obj or danjuma
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by Fhemmmy: 4:36pm On Jun 02, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Who is his godfather ?
obj or danjuma

Hmmmm . . . . . Great question, never thot of that
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by safeact(m): 4:47pm On Jun 02, 2010
hehehe, i wouldnt want to say anything now until he is confirmed. His name does not ring any bell to my ear! But if he is really d person to take over, then there is no surprise at all to some of us since we can not really build that cönfidence in him owing to his previous SOUND records until we see d change. If not, we remain sceptical which might not sound good to us.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by nearest(m): 10:41pm On Jun 02, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Who is his godfather ?
obj or danjuma
I'm his godfather
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by Nobody: 1:42am On Jun 03, 2010
What did the Muhamaid Uwais report say about appointment of INEC Chair ?

Its not just about who, it is also about how. If people are not confident in the next INEC Chair based on the manner of his appointment, I am sorry people will stick to their cynical behaviours in the run up to the election.

The appointment of any INEC chief by direct Presidential fiat is the beginning of the dearth of Uwais Report.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by Nobody: 1:49am On Jun 03, 2010
mikeansy:

What did the Muhamaid Uwais report say about appointment of INEC Chair ?

Its not just about who, it is also about how. If people are not confident in the next INEC Chair based on the manner of his appointment, I am sorry people will stick to their cynical behaviours in the run up to the election.

The appointment of any INEC chief by direct Presidential fiat is the beginning of the dearth of Uwais Report.
is the report not still in the NASS ?
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by Nobody: 1:56am On Jun 03, 2010
~Bluetooth:

is the report not still in the NASS ?

somebody sent it to the NASS knowing its full contents.

Why exploiting the most important issue which the Uwais Report tried to correct before NASS passes the Uwais recommendations into law?.

Sounds like someone is pulling a fast one here. The NASS has a history of passing things into law quickly. Whats the delay here all about?

We have a provitional or acting INEC chair, it is possible to continue to have that while the NASS conclude on electoral reform.
You don't start a reform and disarm the reform of the most contentious issue. It seems to me we are up for a cosmetic reform.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by Nobody: 2:05am On Jun 03, 2010
mikeansy:

somebody sent it to the NASS knowing its full contents.

Why exploiting the most important issue which the Uwais Report tried to correct before NASS passes the Uwais recommendations into law?.

Sounds like someone is pulling a fast one here. The NASS has a history of passing things into law quickly. Whats the delay here all about?

We have a provitional or acting INEC chair, it is possible to continue to have that while the NASS conclude on electoral reform.
You don't start a reform and disarm the reform of the most contentious issue. It seems to me we are up for a cosmetic reform.

the whole electoral reform thing is a charade to me.i dont want to be too pessimistic but what i know is that the passage of that bill may not go down well with some powerful forces within the pdp whom the 2011 elections may not favour.the delay by the NASS is intended to frusutrated all preparations for the election proper.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by Nobody: 2:10am On Jun 03, 2010
~Bluetooth:

the whole electoral reform thing is a charade to me.i dont want to be too pessimistic but what i know is that the passage of that bill may not go down well with some powerful forces within the pdp whom the 2011 elections may not favour.the delay by the NASS is intended to frusutrated all preparations for the election proper.

Is it impossible for Presidency to pressure the NASS? all they need to do is openly tell the Nigerian people that delay in passing electoral reform bill is capable of delaying elections and Nigerians will pile pressure on NASS to either pass the current bill or reject it.

So why is the Presidency not saying anything about the reform bill? appointing an INEC chair which is a prominent issue in the reform bill sounds to me like the Presidency is an accomplice in this electoral reform scam.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by Musiwa13: 2:13am On Jun 03, 2010
You ask why no nigerian have ever heard of the name before. Your answer they made up the whole story. That is nigeria for you and they put it on the internet because you people are mugu. Buhari what ever is name is na 419

Noone has every heard of the name before. Nigeria Human commission, you are making me laugh over. They just want to use him to ring election jo. You mugu ,,

If they want a fair election. Jonathan should name Wole soyinka as INEC chairman. Wole Soyinka is the only man in Nigeria that would be considered to have done the job well.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by Beaf: 2:33am On Jun 03, 2010
mikeansy:

Is it impossible for Presidency to pressure the NASS? all they need to do is openly tell the Nigerian people that delay in passing electoral reform bill is capable of delaying elections and Nigerians will pile pressure on NASS to either pass the current bill or reject it.

So why is the Presidency not saying anything about the reform bill? appointing an INEC chair which is a prominent issue in the reform bill sounds to me like the Presidency is an accomplice in this electoral reform scam.

In order not to derail 2011, the next best thing was to get a radical who wouldn't tow anybody's line into the post. If this man is confirmed, I expect immediate and full scale war within PDP, cos they fully intend to maintain the fundamental PDP right to rig. cool

If the NASS is sitting on the Uwais report in order to frustrate electoral reform, then the best way to checkmate them is by agreeing with them on the  recommendation they hate most, which is that the President must NOT choose the INEC chair.

Jonathan 1, NASS 0 . . . and the saga continues.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by Jeboy(m): 5:32am On Jun 03, 2010
In d Electoral Reform debate at NASS, making the NJC appoints the INEC chair is not supported if you follow the electoral debate in the hallowed chambers so the President is on course.I remembered NASS invited the INEC chair in Ghana and he admitted that despite the fact he was appointed by the President he was confident in declaring the President's  opposition party as winner of election.This boils down to the fact that it is about the person appointed not neccesarily who appoints. I also believe the presidency did a lot of consultation with civil society and human rights group before getting this guy so is on course. Ghana had the presidency appoint INEC Chair and it worked.

Also, you cannot expect UWAIS report to be taken hook,line and sinker. He is just a humane prone  to errors like us so full implementation cannot be justified and it is not even an assurance for electoral success. A report is meant to be viewed and to take the one that best suit the circumstance not as most of us are calling for.

Lastly, appointment of key officers has always been the perogative of the president even in Ghana who had a successful election, bringing the National Judicial Council to the appointment might expose the Judicial Council to partisan politics,it is unheard. I heard NASS has approved the formation of Election Offenders Commission and the budget of INEC has also been put under consolidated revenue making them fully independent of the Presidency so what else would INEC chair give as reason for not performing? His appointment to me is ok and will be hailed by civil society. The fact that he is not too known before is good afterall we complain when people are being recycled for a position
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by emmydee(m): 11:55am On Jun 03, 2010
I hope this Bello guy is not gonna be another mistake.
I wish him d best
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by alldone(m): 12:00pm On Jun 03, 2010
nobody knew Dora before NAFDAC. there are still some men of integrity. Let us wait a see, but also remember who ever pays the piper dictate the tune.
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by txtcampus: 12:04pm On Jun 03, 2010
Lets see what he has to offer

Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by Hotwire(m): 12:15pm On Jun 03, 2010
@ All
It looks like the choice of Bukhari may satisfy most Nigerians since he is not a politician, he is not a recycled material, not Godfathered by the bad and has no known corrupt dealing. More details later
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by obailala(m): 12:16pm On Jun 03, 2010
I'm still wondering if I'm the only one that has noticed this. . .Why is it ONLY 'Vanguard' that has carried this info?

Saharareporters, 234next, pointblanknews, sunnewspaper, Tribune etc etc all seem to be in the dark about this development.

I thought GJ was suppose to announce the name next week?
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by salesauto: 12:18pm On Jun 03, 2010
I pray his not another IWU
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by md4real(m): 12:21pm On Jun 03, 2010
jamace:

every has a price
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by Musiwa13: 12:22pm On Jun 03, 2010
what nonsense are you talking about can Buhari who is nearly a member of the PDP party become chairman, this is a man appointed by the PDP. That is not fair. This is why, they wanted the constitution change. How can a president appoint who is going to conduct his own election.??

That not fair. Look  you solution is ?? how can Buhari a PDP party appointed person become INEC chairman.?? this is why africa has a problem.

Wole soyinka is the best person to conduct a poll in nigeria.

[img]http://babajidesalu.files./2010/02/soyinka1.jpg[/img]
Re: Bukhari Bello Is New INEC Boss by 123jml: 1:17pm On Jun 03, 2010
Just appointed him and standstill agitating to us period.

Musiwa,:

what nonsense are you talking about can Buhari who is nearly a member of the PDP party become chairman, this is a man appointed by the PDP. That is not fair. This is why, they wanted the constitution change. How can a president appoint who is going to conduct his own election.??

That not fair. Look you solution is ?? how can Buhari a PDP party appointed person become INEC chairman.?? this is why africa has a problem.

Wole soyinka is the best person to conduct a poll in nigeria.

[img]http://babajidesalu.files./2010/02/soyinka1.jpg[/img]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Femi Adesina: Some Governors Attack Buhari To Escape Paying Salaries, Pensions / VP Sambo's Convoy Defies Traffic Rules In Abuja / Man Jailed 5yrs For Stealing Gold Earrings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.