Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,319 members, 7,808,072 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:42 AM

US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC (32148 Views)

WANTED!!! Man Of 27 Wanted By The EFCC Over $2.2million Email Scam / Death Toll In Sokoto Gunmen Attack Rises To 74 (Graphic Photos) / FBI Arrests 74 In Global Crackdown On Email Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jun 12, 2018
The US has arrested 74 people including nearly 30 in Nigeria, as part of an effort to combat email scam artists.

It said the arrests reflect a coordinated crackdown on people who convince correspondents to wire them money for fraudulent activities.

The US said such scams are "prevalent" and pledged to pursue perpetrators "regardless of where they are located".

Authorities said they have seized, recovered or disrupted more than $16m (£12m) since January.

The effort, which involved local and federal law enforcement agencies, targeted scammers who trick people into transferring them money, for example by impersonating a business partner or colleague.

In one case, the US alleged that two Nigerians living in Dallas posed as a property seller when requesting a $246,000 wire transfer from a real estate attorney.

Authorities also went after "money mules" - "witting or unwitting accomplices" who receive the money from the victims and transfer it as directed by the fraudsters.

'Disrupt and dismantle'

The US said arrests occurred in the US, Nigeria, Canada, Mauritius and Poland.

One man was extradited from the UK in 2016 for his role in a scheme that allegedly sought to take $2.6m. He pleaded guilty in January to wire fraud and identity theft.

FBI Director Christopher Wray, whose agency funded and coordinated the operation, said: "This operation demonstrates the FBI's commitment to disrupt and dismantle criminal enterprises that target American citizens and their businesses."

The FBI said people have reported losing more than $3.7bn since it started tracking the issue through its Internet Crime Complaint Center.

"The devastating effects these cases have on victims and victim companies, affect not only the individual business but also the global economy," the US said.

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

US arrests 74 in global email scam crackdown - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44445436

10 Likes

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by emeijeh(m): 4:54pm On Jun 12, 2018
Seen.
Yahoo plus boys, take note.
Next!!!

39 Likes 6 Shares

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by talk2archy: 5:01pm On Jun 12, 2018
You are looking at me, dont you know the Nigerians?
they are coming for your skull

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by Smellymouth: 5:01pm On Jun 12, 2018
Yahoo yahoo don tear everywhere now
And we act like it’s so cool

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by Tekecoms1(m): 5:01pm On Jun 12, 2018
So small sef. Let them search further cos I believe they will discover the hidden.

4 Likes

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by CodeTemplar: 5:01pm On Jun 12, 2018
good move.
Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by delugajackson: 5:01pm On Jun 12, 2018
Just one of their many formats. If you know, you know.

MR JACOBS SALAMI
BANK OF AFRICA (B.O.A)
OUAGADOUGOU, BURKINA FASO,
WEST AFRICA.
Tel:+226 78 59 58 30
Dear Friend,
Greeting to you!!!
I know that this mail will come to you as a surprise as we never met before. I am the Director in charge of Auditing in Bank of Africa (B.O.A), I Hoped that you will not expose or betray this trust and confident that I am about to repose on you for the mutual benefit of our both families. I need your urgent assistance in transferring the sum of Twenty Two Million and Five Hundred Thousand united state dollars ($22.500 000mUSD) Immediately to your account.
The fund has been dormant (in-active) for 11 years in our Bank here without any body coming for it. I want to release the fund to you as the nearest person to our deceased customer (the owner of the account) who died a long with his supposed next of kin in air crash since on February 16, 1998. I don't want the fund to go into our Bank treasury as an abandoned fund, so this is the reason why I contacted you, so that my Bank will release the fund to you as the nearest person to the deceased customer.
Please I would like you to keep this proposal as a top secret and delete it if you are not interested. Upon receipt of your reply, I will send you the application form you will fill and send to the bank for transfer of the fund into your bank account and also note that you will have 40% of the above mentioned amount if you agree to help me execute this business.And also 10% had been mapped out for you for the expense you will make in this transaction and 50% is for me. I need your informations so that Iwill send you the application form.
YOUR FULL INFORMATIONS
Your Name,
Your Home Addresses, ,
City, ,
Country, ,
Home Telephone, ,
Private Telephone, ,
Fax No, ,
Marital Status, ,
Sex,
Age, ,
Occupation, ,
Religion, ,
waiting for your urgent response so that we will proceed immediately.
Best Regards,
MR JACOBS SALAMI.

42 Likes 9 Shares

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by naijaguy123456(m): 5:01pm On Jun 12, 2018
The internet fraud with Nigeria is a result of unemployment and get rich quick syndrome, bearing in mind the societal decadence but the news said US arrested Nigeria national inside Nigeria ! What a joke of a nation are we irrespective of their crimes and it went further a Nigeria was extradited to the USA from UK. There are countless British national who are into cyber crimes, I can't remember the last time one was successfully extradited to the USA, they launch court battle that never finished.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by opsyswagger(m): 5:01pm On Jun 12, 2018
Why showing us money nw.... angry angry
Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by BigSarah(f): 5:02pm On Jun 12, 2018
Fake news
Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by magicminister: 5:02pm On Jun 12, 2018
Wowww
Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by IsaacBuchi(m): 5:02pm On Jun 12, 2018
undecided

After scamming us of our mineral resources & using our fathers as slave to build their land they now want to crack down on the guys that wants to get back what belongs to their fore fathers... grin

I didn't say anything cool

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by opsyswagger(m): 5:02pm On Jun 12, 2018
Alaga 40-40 grin
Smellymouth:
Hhmmm

1 Like

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by flexyrule(m): 5:02pm On Jun 12, 2018
Don't jail them in the US.
Try them and transfer them to a Nigerian prison.

One of them that was recently released from a US penitentiary has already secured a contract with a record label, ready to release songs he wrote while serving jail term in the US.

After 5 years in Kri-Kri.... They won't even remember how to boot a computer.

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jun 12, 2018
grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by tiana29(f): 5:02pm On Jun 12, 2018
Okay..
Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by yourwish: 5:02pm On Jun 12, 2018
Okay
Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jun 12, 2018
shocked

1 Like

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by LZAA: 5:03pm On Jun 12, 2018
givan:
The US has arrested 74 people including nearly 30 in Nigeria, as part of an effort to combat email scam artists.

It said the arrests reflect a coordinated crackdown on people who convince correspondents to wire them money for fraudulent activities.

The US said such scams are "prevalent" and pledged to pursue perpetrators "regardless of where they are located".

Authorities said they have seized, recovered or disrupted more than $16m (£12m) since January.

The effort, which involved local and federal law enforcement agencies, targeted scammers who trick people into transferring them money, for example by impersonating a business partner or colleague.

In one case, the US alleged that two Nigerians living in Dallas posed as a property seller when requesting a $246,000 wire transfer from a real estate attorney.

Authorities also went after "money mules" - "witting or unwitting accomplices" who receive the money from the victims and transfer it as directed by the fraudsters.

'Disrupt and dismantle'

The US said arrests occurred in the US, Nigeria, Canada, Mauritius and Poland.

One man was extradited from the UK in 2016 for his role in a scheme that allegedly sought to take $2.6m. He pleaded guilty in January to wire fraud and identity theft.

FBI Director Christopher Wray, whose agency funded and coordinated the operation, said: "This operation demonstrates the FBI's commitment to disrupt and dismantle criminal enterprises that target American citizens and their businesses."

The FBI said people have reported losing more than $3.7bn since it started tracking the issue through its Internet Crime Complaint Center.

"The devastating effects these cases have on victims and victim companies, affect not only the individual business but also the global economy," the US said.

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

US arrests 74 in global email scam crackdown - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44445436
We do not need to check names na
Na dem grin
Cc immhotep pointzerom iceberg3 DaBullIT

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jun 12, 2018

1 Like

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by SwaGUnLimiTeD(m): 5:03pm On Jun 12, 2018
X
Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by GavelSlam: 5:03pm On Jun 12, 2018
All those boys EFCC swooped in on that night.

You lot were complaining as usual.

Nigeria and indeed the world is changing.

You better recognise.

1 Like

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by EweduAfonja(f): 5:03pm On Jun 12, 2018
Ali-Son
Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by TheUbermensch: 5:03pm On Jun 12, 2018
My contention is the US is not ready to battle internet fraud maybe because majority of those engaging in it are not in the country.

Otherwise what will it cost to catch these boys? You think it's by Nord VPN? Smh. They just phish a page and think they are Hackers. Lmao.

The US doesn't just have their time yet. If not in less that a month. Just a month.

12 Likes

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by Martinola(m): 5:04pm On Jun 12, 2018
9ja....I Hail ooo

1 Like

Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by CyberWolf: 5:04pm On Jun 12, 2018
Hmmm Ali and wire boys..
Re: US Arrests 74 In Global Email Scam Crack Down - BBC by madenigga(m): 5:05pm On Jun 12, 2018
I wish the Us wud take this move serious and let other countries copy, china and other asian nations.

If anybody gets swindled even if its in the past as far as theres an account number let them trace the scammer to whatsoever country he is, extradite him and try him.

Let the jail term be a minimum of 10years.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Three Wedding Guests Missing In Imo (Photos) / ‘I Killed Our 3-day-old Baby To Cover Up Pre-marital Sex’ / Bayelsa Cultists Caught & Tied Up While Holding Meeting At Their Hideout

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.