Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,811 members, 7,798,734 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

Nigerian Man Narrates His Experience Growing Up As A Burn Survivor - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Man Narrates His Experience Growing Up As A Burn Survivor (403 Views)

Growing Up, How Many Did You Break Washing This (Photo) / After 14 Days Of Marriage, Nigerian Man Shares His Experience / Mimi Stevenson: Burn Survivor And Her Two Kids Melt Hearts On Social Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Narrates His Experience Growing Up As A Burn Survivor by WotzupNG: 11:19am On Jun 13, 2018
Below is a narration from a Nigerian man about his experience growing up as a burn survivor. He speaks on how his life changed after an accident that was sparked by a lantern while he was a kid.

I was a very handsome kid growing up with a lot of self confidence. You know; the dark and handsome, smart and brilliant kinda confidence. But at the age of 10, I experienced what changed my perception about life: I got burnt, an accident caused by a lantern at home. I was bed-ridden for a whole year and eventually got discharged of 3rd degree burns.
Everything that made sense to me changed, all I used to love made no sense anymore because I had no idea how to live in my new skin. It was a difficult period; kids saw me they’d run and cry, walking in the streets, people would stare and say sorry.

Do u know how many times I was denied taking a look at myself in the mirror? How many times I have been to surgery in different orthopedics, both in and out of the country? Couple of times I thought of committing suicide.

At a point, I tried opening accounts on several social sites looking for new friends who could understand me, only for me to realize I was trying to force friendships and all I was looking for were attention and pity when I should be self motivated.
Nigerian man narrates his experience growing up as a burn survivor

My mom is the real MVP, she spent a lot of money buying drugs, fruits and other stuff to make sure my recovery process was smooth. Not to mention that the night I got burnt and she also got burnt in her hands and legs; she wasn’t going to watch her son get consumed in flames! She even went as far as taking loans from banks to make sure I’m alive. My love for her is incredible!

But now, I guess alot of things did change, I have a mind of my own, I am happy, respectful, taking one step at a time, I learnt how to cope with myself, accommodate people and also love myself. Most importantly believing and hoping on unending love and grace of God upon my life which brought about my blog, www.kayobum..com to inspire those that think like I used to.
Nigerian man narrates his experience growing up as a burn survivor

Trust me, it’s not easy living with scars lol, just imagine if you do have a small kitchen knife slice on your skin, you will try as much as possible to get it cleaned up, imagine mine! Nevertheless, I’m thankful I’m alive to share my story, my scars mean one thing: I SURVIVED! The Psychology I studied in school didn’t heal me, God did @kay_obum

http://www.purplefeel.com/2018/06/nigerian-man-narrates-his-experience-burn-survivor.html

cc lalasticlala

Re: Nigerian Man Narrates His Experience Growing Up As A Burn Survivor by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jun 13, 2018
He must be so strong.

(1) (Reply)

Generator For Sale. / Grow Up But Never Forget These Life Lessons / Man Dies, Wife Gives Birth To Baby Boy After Years Of Searching

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.