Stats: 3,149,956 members, 7,806,768 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:08 PM

Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 (6300 Views)

Lagos, Ogun, Kano Account For 27% Of Nigeria’s Mobile Subscriptions — NBS / Samsung Leads In 5G Smartphones In Q1 2020 / Global Smartphone Sales Down 4% In Q1 To 330 Million - Report (2) (3) (4)

Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by BrandSpurNG: 5:40am On Jun 14, 2018
The total number of mobile subscriptions was around 7.9 billion in Q1 2018, with 98 million new subscriptions added during the quarter.

Key findings

During Q1 2018, 98 million new mobile subscriptions were added globally.The total number of mobile subscriptions was around 7.9 billion in Q1 2018.China had the most net additions in Q1, likely due to intense competition among operators.There are now 5.5 billion mobile broadband subscriptions.Global subscription penetration in Q1 2018 was 104 per cent.

The number of mobile subscriptions grew at 4 per cent year-on-year, reaching 7.9 billion in Q1. China had the most net additions during the quarter (+53 million), followed by India (+16 million), Indonesia (+6 million), Nigeria (+3 million) and Bangladesh (+2 million). The high growth in China during the quarter is likely the result of intense competition among operators, driving up the number of subscribers with multiple subscriptions.

The number of mobile broadband subscriptions1 is growing at 20 per cent year-on-year, increasing by 200 million in Q1 2018. The total is now 5.5 billion.

The number of LTE subscriptions increased by 210 million during the quarter to reach a total of 2.9 billion. The net addition for WCDMA/HSPA was around 10 million subscriptions.

Over the same period, GSM/EDGE-only subscriptions declined by 90 million. Other technologies declined by around 32 million.

Subscriptions associated with smartphones now account for around 60 per cent of all mobile phone subscriptions. The number of smartphones sold declined to around 340 million in Q1, representing around 85 per cent of all mobile phones sold in the quarter.

There are now 5.5 billion mobile broadband subscriptions.

Top 5 countries by net additions Q1 2018

1. China +53 million
2. India +16 million
3. Indonesia +6 million
4. Nigeria +3 million
5. Bangladesh +2 million

The number of mobile subscriptions exceeds the population in many countries, which is largely due to inactive subscriptions, multiple device ownership or optimization of subscriptions for different types of calls.

As a result, the number of subscribers is lower than the number of subscriptions. Today, there are around 5.3 billion subscribers globally compared to 7.9 billion subscriptions.

104 per cent global subscription penetration in Q1 2018.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/global-mobile-subscriptions-nigeria-among-top-5-countries-by-net-additions-in-q1-2018/

Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:10am On Jun 14, 2018
Obviously
Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by Robi65(f): 7:10am On Jun 14, 2018
Yh we don’t joke anymore for Naija..that one sweet..World Cup starts today tho

Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by akeentech(m): 7:10am On Jun 14, 2018
The girl above is Mammywater

Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by lilfreezy: 7:11am On Jun 14, 2018
The telecoms industry in Nigeria is a ripoff. They are taking advantage of the consumers.
Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by anochuko01(m): 7:11am On Jun 14, 2018
any country that wants to see growth must have cheap access to internet connection and stable electricity.

unfortunately, internet and electricity in Nigeria are at the premium and its hindering our rate of development.
Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by teamsynergy: 7:12am On Jun 14, 2018
we av the population and a huge land mass to become a great nation... but our leaders are too brain dead to put naija on world map as a great nation

Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by olahero(m): 7:12am On Jun 14, 2018
Good
Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by navzla(m): 7:12am On Jun 14, 2018
And Glo network is shit
Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by directonpc(m): 7:13am On Jun 14, 2018
Opportunities! Opportunity for Nigerians to use mobile tech to sell products and services. And solve problems using tech.

Extra:
Are you a football fan, do you use Android or Google calendar?

Get full world cup fixtures for Google Calendar here: http://7rl.in/wc2018
Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by Nobody: 7:14am On Jun 14, 2018
Yet NCC will sit and watch as our useless telcos milk us dry...

If they're not forcefully subscribing you to one nonsense package, they'll will be promising you 10000% recharge bonus that you can't use to make more than 60 seconds call..

May amadioha visit all of you, from the heads of the telcos to the heads of NCC that are too docile

Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by Buhari2019: 7:14am On Jun 14, 2018
God bless Buhari. Forward ever.
Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by Authoreety: 7:15am On Jun 14, 2018
Jjjsj
Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by maryjan8(f): 7:16am On Jun 14, 2018
Top 5, How?
Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by Nobody: 7:19am On Jun 14, 2018
Y shud montly subs lsst 3 or 4 days/
Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by slawomir: 7:19am On Jun 14, 2018
BlackAfrican:
Yet NCC will sit and watch as our useless telcos milk us dry...

If they're not forcefully subscribing you to one nonsense package, they'll will be promising you 10000% recharge bonus that you can't use to make more than 60 seconds call..

May amadioha visit all of you, from the heads of the telcos to the heads of NCC that are too docile

bro
Airtel nearly frustrate my life for that subscribing of their useless package and service without my consent. for every day this people just dey activate packages for me and na so i dey call them begin beg them make them stop
Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by IMASTEX: 7:20am On Jun 14, 2018
It is a welcome development. At least more persons are getting been exposed via the online medium.
Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by KINGwax007(m): 7:21am On Jun 14, 2018
That's because of the lack of PCs and favourable data package for them.

But it's all good na ni
Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by mudiana(m): 7:26am On Jun 14, 2018
To hell with glo. I subscribe every week and I wonder wat I do with my data. Uninstalled my Facebook to see wat consumes my data and if this one runs out under a week, I ll delete glo from my life.
Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by BabaIbo: 7:28am On Jun 14, 2018
Doesn't have any visible economical growth in the life of the masses, na just ripoff
Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by DAntivirus: 7:34am On Jun 14, 2018
no comment cos anything about Nigeria disinterests me right now
Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by abdulrazat(m): 8:12am On Jun 14, 2018
Is devil that is talking to your ear, telling you to abandon glo for mtn or airtel. Don't listen because these ones will milk you my brother.

mudiana:
To hell with glo. I subscribe every week and I wonder wat I do with my data. Uninstalled my Facebook to see wat consumes my data and if this one runs out under a week, I ll delete glo from my life.
Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by mudiana(m): 12:18pm On Jun 14, 2018
abdulrazat:
Is devil that is talking to your ear, telling you to abandon glo for mtn or airtel. Don't listen because these ones will milk you my brother.

adenuga child... Get thee behind me.
Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by faithfull18(f): 12:36pm On Jun 14, 2018
Okay,see my profile.
Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by topbollz(m): 1:10pm On Jun 14, 2018
Them dey tell you now you dey show muscle hear and read my story and another wet just happen.
I just loaded 1.5GB this morning and it got exhausted in less that 3 hrs. I was like wow this is strange. I decided to call customer care they told me. Its finished that to monitor my MTN Data usage I should download their app. MyMTN. I took the advice downloaded the said app and it was cool as per user Interface. Reloaded another 2.5GB data and in less than 20 mins I got an alert saying you have about 500MB Haa!!! MTN Wayoo... MTN No try at all. I caught them with their Salamis techniques of stealing back from customers. Called customer care and it was like I was taking to a Robot telling me it must be some app on my phone. The App that burns data most is YouTube because its video and O can't remember the last time I visited. The CSP kept on Repeating that it must be an application that used the data in 20mins how do you explain that. Fraud, fraud, fraud everywhere. How do you explain data purchase of 3700 in less than 5hrs and you bearly used it for anything. Every news about the country is just frustrating and now to do your work with data na wahala. MTN dey steal from you.

I have concluded its time to pack out of this MTN network like Zither the unfortunate part is they seems to be the only organization with good coverage that was why I optioned for them in the first place. But with this sorry! Before now it was call rate wahala now that the demand on data is on the increase they are defrauding customers on that too. Anyone still thinking should not they are really stealing from us.

Government steal from us, politicians steal and now MTN! I will spread this news everywhere I go. Yeye people
Re: Global Mobile Subscriptions: Nigeria Among Top 5 Countries In Q1 2018 by rodeo0070(m): 7:56am On Jun 18, 2018
Naija for life!

A Nairalander Just Scammed Me / Dream Big with Infinix Alpha! / How To Get 530MB On Your Glo Sim For Just N200 (2014 Offer)