Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,842 members, 7,802,693 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:04 PM

"Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag (22807 Views)

Black Panther In UNILAG Final Year Medical Exam Question (photo) / Monitor Lizard Killed Now In UNILAG (Photos) / Strange Test Econometrics Question In UNILAG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by GozieAchara(m): 10:07am On Jun 14, 2018
lool.. bro we are used to it..

mine happened in UNIPORT... IT WAS PAST 8PM,I WAS GOING FOR NIGHT CLASS, THEY STOPPED ME, I PRETENDED I DIDN'T HEAR THEM UNTIL ONE OF THEM CHASED ME AND ASKED THEY WERE CALLING ME AND I WAS STILL GOING, THEN HE TOLD ME TO COME BK TO WERE THIS FELLOW HOODLUMS WERE, I LOOKED AT HIM AND DECIDED TO IGNORE ME, THEN HE SAID SOMETHING THAT SENT SHIVERS DOWN MY SPINE.
HE SAID "ABOBI, U WAN RUN"

THAT WAS WHEN I REMEMBER READING STORIES ON FACEBOOK OF PEOPLE BEING STABBED AND KILLED ALL BECAUSE THEY WERE TOO STUBBORN TO DO WHAT THEY WERE TOLD...
I WENT WITH HIM, THEM HE TOOK ME TO THE OTHERS AND IMMEDIATELY FOUR BEARDED GUYS WTH DARK LIPS WERE AROUND ME..
ASKED ME MY DEPARTMENT.
I TOLD THEM MEDICINE ND SURGERY
WERE ARE U GOING ? ANOTHER ONE ASKED, I WAS ALREADY SHIVERING, I TOLD HIM NIGHT CLASS.
HE ASKED WHAT LEVEL I WAS, TOLD HIM 200L.
THAT WAS WHEN THEY ASKED ME TO EMPTY MY BAG AND BRING OUT MY FONE ND ALL CASH I WAS WTH, I TOLD HIM O CAN'T GIVE THEM MY PHONE..

UNKNOWN SLAPP STARTED LANDING ON MY CHEEKS, I DIDN'T KNOW WHEN I GAVE THEM MY BRAND NEW K7 AND THE N500 I WAS WITH..
DEN THEY ENTERED A CAB AND LEFT, IT WAS THEN PEOPLE A COUPLE CAME AROUND AND ASKED WHAT HAD HAPPENED, WHY I WAS PANTING, THEN I TOLD THEM MY ORDEAL, WAT I GOT WAS EYAAAH...

AFTER THE SCENARIO, I JUX WENT BACK HOME, READING TIRE ME, WENT TO MY BED, AND TOOK OFF IN DEEP SLEEP..

UP UNTIL NOW, I STILL AM AFRAID TO WALK ALONE AT NIGHT.
IF I WANNA GO TO NIGHT CLASS NW, I GO BY 6PM.

UP UNIQUE UNIPORT..
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by rickymayne(m): 10:16am On Jun 14, 2018
Fresher...you would still learn...first and foremost unilag has a very low level of cultism and violence...if uve been to other federal schools ,you would understand...and the longer you stay the more you would understand how to manage situations like that...Welcome to unilag.

2 Likes

Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by kingthreat(m): 10:22am On Jun 14, 2018
Cultism just has to stop. Robbery among students is perpetrated by cultists.
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by rickymayne(m): 10:36am On Jun 14, 2018
The one thing that bother me is...unilag is this kind of school where if you complain about the bad egg in your indomie...they would just stop giving you both the indomie and the egg...I just pray unilag managements dont see this post...cos they would take it out on the innocent students with their crazy rules...if dem see this post im sure they would start doing 6pm curfew...dont expect the university to be like your secondary school...it comes with exposure...you would definitely learn and know how to handle such situations with time, irrespective of casualties which is normal...i can say that unilag security is like 80% ...the security personnel also warn you not to walk around some areas when it gets dark...at your own risk!

2 Likes

Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by seguno2: 10:44am On Jun 14, 2018
Hyinkar97:

Make I no fresh because say na book I come read abi?

Lemme drop this here:
Countless number of times, I have seen people try to portray the likes of Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates, Aliko Dangote e.t.c as rich people who don’t live a flashy lifestyle just because they don’t wear “Gucci” and all other designers considered as “flashy/classy” being worn by Hushpuppi and all other celebrities. I can’t help but laugh at their ignorance.

Taking the owner of Facebook as an example, they say he “ordinary plain grey T-shirts” despite having a net worth of over 72 billion USD. Have you ever tried checking out how much each of the T-shirt costs? In case you’re not informed, each of them costs around $300-$400 and he has lots and lots and lots of them. There are even rumors he doesn’t wear a T-shirt twice. So you can imagine how wearing $2100-$2800 worth of “ordinary plain grey T-shirts” a week portrays you as being “simple”.

Do you even know he spent $100 million on buying two properties on Kauai Island in 2014 alone? He has several other properties which amounts to millions of dollars. Now is that still a “simple” life? Bill Gates owns a house that costs $123 million and he’s a “simple” man just because he doesn’t wear Gucci?

The fact that people spend money on what they wear doesn’t mean they don’t have investments/businesses. A person buys an iPhone X/Samsung S9 plus and the next thing people say is “He should have bought a land in Ibeju”, “Why didn’t he invest that money on cryptocurrency?”, “Oh, he is living a fake life. He should have invested the money on landed properties”. Do you know if the person in question has built two houses in Ibeju already? Do you know if he has a substantial amount of digital currencies? Do you even know if he doesn’t like the idea of doing business at all?

The point is, we all have different personalities and what entices or makes us happy are distinct from one another. We all have different mentalities. So, if man A decides to spend HIS money on clothing and fashion items, man B might decide to spend HIS on buying cars. Man C might decide to spend it on houses. This doesn’t mean man A is trying to be flashy or man C is a “simple” man. It all depends on what makes you happy.

Everyone is entitled to his/her own kind of lifestyle!

A whole load of trash to justify the fake life of poor black people in their shittyhole nations.
Mark Zuckerberg spends what % of his earnings and wealth on clothing compared to the % spent by mentally lazy blacks who slave for him and other whites?
Can you be wise or it is impossible for you

1 Like

Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by Nobody: 10:47am On Jun 14, 2018
TarOrfeek:
Go ask them for Zambezi.

Them still never foork the person mama, way go born the bastard way go try obtain me.

Man up, bro!

what would u have done, if u were in his shoes
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by leocollins(m): 11:03am On Jun 14, 2018
bro4u:
UNIUYO has been suffering this, the 'show me love boiz'

lol,you know the matter bro,that year for annex small gate..it has reduced sha..
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by Teespice(f): 11:04am On Jun 14, 2018
FSS, DLI, back gate, those staff quarters are places to avoid late at night if you are in unilag.

1 Like

Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by bro4u: 11:08am On Jun 14, 2018
leocollins:

lol,you know the matter bro,that year for annex small gate..it has reduced sha..
oboi dat annex small gate was their regular spot aswear... In annex its now around dat field area while town camp na 4 mini stadium
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by leocollins(m): 11:11am On Jun 14, 2018
Kyllahmc:
mehn reading some comments from guys just dey vex me... all of them go dey waka majestically like say dem be men but na women them be... how you go allow your fellow man intimidate you like that
My grandpa no be obote
my papa no be obote
so how I go be obote.. when no be obote blood dey my system?

y'all man up abeg it's embarrassing... or remain obote forever!

lol,you where know..nothing fit shake you.. dodos
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by leocollins(m): 11:12am On Jun 14, 2018
bro4u:

oboi dat annex small gate was their regular spot aswear... In annex its now around dat field area while town camp na 4 mini stadium

yea,as a wise man u no suppose waka for that mini stadium for night na,even if u wan to move with ur cartel..the street is military..
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by leocollins(m): 11:16am On Jun 14, 2018
bibiking7:

We learn everyday, i finished from unilag a few years ago. I am not sure about private universities, but these things happen in most public universities. The last time i went to Unilag, there were security men with Pump action rifles, guess that did not help. Its the same in the outside world, so brace yourself. Folks that believe that they are strong will always try to prey on those they perceive as weak.
When going out at night, walk through well lit areas. Make friends and stop walking alone (be a liverpool fan, just kidding). I was never obtained because , My voice was very hoarse and my face strong. My pidgeon game was tight. Plus i had some friends that feared nobody (Based on where they grew up), and we were always together.

I no say make you go join bad gang o.

true bro, pidgeon dy help oh,plus confidence..
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by tunize(m): 11:19am On Jun 14, 2018
Truth is it rains everywhere.....you wen decide to waka for night two tinz involve either u meet person or person meet you......my skool na normal tin so wen we decide to go out we go out blank jst incase of sorry " na only slap".
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by isahusiomon58(m): 11:30am On Jun 14, 2018
lol..... na today come to Auchi polytechnic, you go know wassup �
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by Jabarzee(m): 12:44pm On Jun 14, 2018
Hybrid606:
It's a very common thing in FUTO. A friend of mine was robbed of his phone, wallet, and even the clothes he wore were robbed of him. He came back to his lodge with only boxers.

Lwkmd
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by Hyinkar97(m): 12:51pm On Jun 14, 2018
seguno2:

A whole load of trash to justify the fake life of poor black people in their shittyhole nations.
Mark Zuckerberg spends what % of his earnings and wealth on clothing compared to the % spent by mentally lazy blacks who slave for him and other whites?
Can you be wise or it is impossible for you
The blacks you consider lazy, do you know what % of their earnings and wealth they spend on clothing?

It’s obvious the only time the word “wisdom” and your name can appear in a sentence is when it says you lack it.
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by Pentools(m): 1:04pm On Jun 14, 2018
bibiking7:

We learn everyday, i finished from unilag a few years ago. I am not sure about private universities, but these things happen in most public universities. The last time i went to Unilag, there were security men with Pump action rifles, guess that did not help. Its the same in the outside world, so brace yourself. Folks that believe that they are strong will always try to prey on those they perceive as weak.
When going out at night, walk through well lit areas. Make friends and stop walking alone (be a liverpool fan, just kidding). I was never obtained because , My voice was very hoarse and my face strong. My pidgeon game was tight. Plus i had some friends that feared nobody (Based on where they grew up), and we were always together.

Lolz!!! Seems we had a lot in common regarding this stance bro cus that was my exact case, remembering how dem go Dey drive people for campus bar once Dey reach my part dem go do jump n pass (Typical Livepool Fan In Team n In Movement) although you live with the eagle eyes n snake smartness to avoid mistaken identity during clashes of the Titans.
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by Pentools(m): 1:09pm On Jun 14, 2018
Hyinkar97:

The blacks you consider lazy, do you know what % of their earnings and wealth they spend on clothing?

It’s obvious the only time the word “wisdom” and your name can appear in a sentence is when it says you lack
it.

lolz!!!
Broda rapper that line is butchery, take am easy no bloodstain here Biko.

1 Like

Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by seguno2: 1:19pm On Jun 14, 2018
Hyinkar97:

It’s obvious the only time the word “wisdom” and your name can appear in a sentence is when it says you lack it.

The % of their earnings and wealth spent on clothing is evident in their total dependence on whites for all their modern products and services.
I hope that your wisdom can fathom that in order to make amends in your priorities.
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by seguno2: 1:22pm On Jun 14, 2018
bibiking7:

Is the highlighted part not a key sign of a shittyhole nation that is failing
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jun 14, 2018
Teespice:
FSS, DLI, back gate, those staff quarters are places to avoid late at night if you are in unilag.
You're smart.I never went to DLI/Back gate/high rise areas at night and this was even in the late 1990s.I never heard of any incidences as a unilag jambite then but a sharp boy can just tell those areas are security risk at night,too quiet even in the day.

Try walk or look mean just a little. It works every time.
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by Sommydisaster(m): 2:28pm On Jun 14, 2018
Octaves:
didn't experience this through out my years in Awka.
then you probably stayed in the school hostel
for Zambezi...... anything is allowed
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by Octaves(m): 2:32pm On Jun 14, 2018
Sommydisaster:

then you probably stayed in the school hostel
for Zambezi...... anything is allowed
I stayed at odogwu Awka and I read every night at st Joseph term site coming back around 9pm thru that Kofi road
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by Sommydisaster(m): 2:40pm On Jun 14, 2018
Octaves:
I stayed at odogwu Awka and I read every night at st Joseph term site coming back around 9pm thru that Kofi road
Then your mama's prayer really followed you
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by Octaves(m): 2:43pm On Jun 14, 2018
Sommydisaster:
Then your mama's prayer really followed you
I guess so

1 Like

Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by Hyinkar97(m): 4:35pm On Jun 14, 2018
seguno2:

The % of their earnings and wealth spent on clothing is evident in their total dependence on whites for all their modern products and services.
I hope that your wisdom can fathom that in order to make amends in your priorities.

Okay!
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by Teespice(f): 5:06pm On Jun 14, 2018
doreto:
You're smart.I never went to DLI/Back gate/high rise areas at night and this was even in the late 1990s.I never heard of any incidences as a unilag jambite then but a sharp boy can just tell those areas are security risk at night,too quiet even in the day.

Try walk or look mean just a little. It works every time.

at a point I used to live at back gate so max 7ish I am out of school. any business I forgot to do can wait till the next day.

those good ol uni days.
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by blank(f): 9:12pm On Jun 14, 2018
I last heard obtaining in secondary school over 15 years ago. It's outright stealing, no need to sugarcoat it.
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by captainrock(m): 9:44pm On Jun 14, 2018
UnilagPwins:
"Obtaining" is a popular word used by most students on campus. If you're just hearing that, don't worry, I'll explain it to you. "To obtain" means to forcefully collect one's property either by using armed instruments (e.g knife, gun) or using some strange or scary voice..(can I call this "robbery "�) I don't know any other way to explain this but as you read through, you'll surely understand what I'm talking about. Permit me, cos I'm gonna be making use of the word "obtain".

"Obtaining" as become a culture in the university of Lagos (no offence. I'm also a student there�) and a lot of people have kept quiet about this, maybe because of the pressure or the response they get after reporting to the security officers or maybe to their friends and you know how friends do behave, especially guys. They'll just laugh over it or call you names like "ode" (meaning "fool"wink.

I was once in the midst of my friends when a guy came in and was talking about this same issue. He shared his experience with us, how some notorious guys went away with his belongings (his phones, laptop and the little cash with him) after threatening to kill him if he shouts or make any silly move. He said,

"I was on my way home after we had an evening class in my faculty (revising for my forthcoming exams). I usually pass this road and something like this has never happened to me but I've heard of it a lot. It was 7:45pm when I left my faculty and was heading towards the second gate when I heard someone calling. At first, I pretended to be deaf not until two guys walked past and stopped me. The first guy was like " where u dey go?" and I replied him immediately that I was on my way home. At that point I noticed everywhere was so quiet and there was hardly anyone passing through that route. It was only the three of us there. Then I knew that I've entered into the lion's den�. The first thing I thought of was the laptop with me. It was given to me by my friend to make use of, for a quick revision. At that point I knew everything was just gonna disappear. I gave up.

The second guy told me to bring everything I have on me. At first, I tried to prove stubborn by not giving them anything not until the other guy showed me a gun� just below his belly. Well, I've watched lots of Nigerian movies where they make use of toy guns to rob, but I can't risk my life at that moment, besides, that was the first time someone's gonna show me a gun. Immediately, I gave them my 2 phones (with the charger�), laptop and my wallet (containing about 7k). I was just praying to God to come rescue me�. As soon as they collected everything, they disappeared into the thin air. I was speechless. I didn't even know when I shouted and some guys came and I narrated everything that happened to them. All they told me was to be careful next time, that incidents like this do happen, even on campus. Well, I'm a fresher. Maybe this is the way Unilag wants to welcome me�

After the guy narrated the whole story, my friends just bursted in laughter. "Sheybi u go dey form jagaban for campus. Why u no fight them na", said Uche, one funny guy in my dept.

But, truth be told, incidents like this are happening everyday and I know one of you reading this has been into such situation, one way or the other, or you know someone who has. Students are no longer safe in the campus environment and some have made a decision, never to step out of their hostel once it 7:00pm. Some have even decided never to stay on campus till they finish their education, due to incidents like this.
Yes, we know a university is a place where we meet different kind of people from different part of the country but if we all make up our mind to curb this social act by students (yes...students are the ones involved), working alongside with the management of the university, then we can for sure alleviate this mess.

I just hope this article gets approved so that people can be aware of what's happening in the University of Lagos. And the management of the university can do something about it or do more (if they're working on it). We're tired of this. Come to our rescue.�

#ObtainingOfStudentsMustStop

Prince N. (UnilagPwins)
Instagram: @unilagpwins

I totally agree to this, guys will always be guys and I can relate to this. I went to buy a phone at ikeja and I paid 8k for the phone and was told to put it in ma pocket because of police, me wey fear dey catch, I put am sharp sharp only for me to enter a bus to yaba and I decided to press my phone small only for me to see something light"
When I got to the hostel, I told dem about my ordeal that they packaged FuFu inside blackberry case for me and the next thing I heard shocked me "o pe ooo, I kuku get soup... bring fufu make we chop" I just weak straight up, if I come this world again, I will still be a guy... Ogun kiiiii Emotion
Re: "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag by InansBobo(m): 5:07pm On Jun 15, 2018
itzprezy:
It happens in almost all unis.esp off campus.in futminna na only long knife dem go show u .try struggle with dem na blood go full ur body
bosso or gk?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Anti-Islam Policy: University Of Ibadan Professors Petition Management / Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU / Governor Abiodun Gives Best 2020 LASU Graduating Student Bungalow, ₦2 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.