₦airaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,191,067 members, 4,777,355 topics. Date: Saturday, 23 February 2019 at 09:53 AM

The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book - Literature (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book (20035 Views)

TÉLLÀ ( A Paranormal Story) / Grabbing The Hot Gate ( A Paranormal Novel) By Akintayo Akinjide / Memoirs Of Blood And Steel ( A Fantasy Novel) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by tunjilomo(m): 7:31am On Dec 14, 2018
Things are getting interesting, they are definitely getting interesting. Chapter 26&27 are one of the best chapters I have read in a long time.

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 10:54am On Dec 14, 2018
These wolves are the major reason this story thrill me. The rawness of strenght and violence, I wish Obehid, you'd post another today.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 12:28pm On Dec 14, 2018
Ewoo, Obehi, you have killed me. See dangerous suspense!
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 3:16pm On Dec 14, 2018
jesus is lord, obehiD kneel down there, how can u put me in this kind of suspense? U better update sharp sharp chai,

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 4:17am On Dec 16, 2018
@tunjilomo thank you!

@Fazemood yeah, I like the wolves too. I think the varmint class as a whole is pretty interesting. I can't wait to really get into shifters and see all the cool things they'd be able to do. Sorry about the posting. I'll be posting the next chapter tomorrow though, so just one day out!

@OluwabuqqyYOLO Just wait, only a few more days. The next chapter (posting tomorrow) goes back to Odion and the past community and then when I post later on in the week we'll be back in St. Luke's.

@Peaceyw hahaha...don't worry, next chapter is posting tomorrow!
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 4:39am On Dec 17, 2018
Chapter Twenty-eight
-----------------------------------------------------
The Community, Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria
-----------------------------------------------------

Oni dodged the ancestry guard’s wooden blade. She jumped back two steps in retreat, looked for an opening, and then swiped at the guard with her blade. The guard had anticipated the move. He stopped her blade with his. Oni took a deep breath and then exhaled slowly. Odion knew she was frustrated. The little girl was frustrated by the man training her. She’d yelled at him earlier for ‘treating her like a child’, but the guard could not be intimidated into harming the God-born’s granddaughter.

Odion heard the deep baritone of a man laughing. She turned around and saw Omoruyi striding casually towards them.

The ancestry guard stopped immediately. He bowed in greeting to Omoruyi and mumbled through an apology. Omoruyi dismissed the man, much to his relief. A dark mist formed around the guard and he was gone.

Oni bit her bottom lip nervously. She curtsied deeply to her uncle and stood back up watching and waiting to see what he’d do. Omoruyi stretched out his hand. Oni dropped the wooden dagger into it.

“What is this?” Omoruyi asked casually.

“It’s my dagger. I’m learning how to fight uncle Uyi.”

Omoruyi chuckled. He handed it back to her saying “Show me what you’ve learnt.”

Oni didn’t need any further prompting. She ran towards Omoruyi with her blade stretched out. Omoruyi hit her on the side of her head knocking her away. Odion remembered that blow. It hadn’t been a playful slap. It had been so hard it’d felt as if her brain was shaking inside her head. But she hadn’t cried. Oni stood back to her full height.

Omoruyi tsked at her. “You can’t run right towards your enemy. You need to strategize an attack. At least fake so that it isn’t obvious.”

Oni nodded. She took a few steps back, her head still ringing, and ran towards her uncle. She had her right hand stretched out with the blade, and then at the last second, she switched the hands and swayed forcefully to the left. Omoruyi had been expecting it. He caught hold of Oni’s wrist and held on tightly, shaking her hand as if to pry loose the wooden dagger. Oni refused to give it up. Omoruyi pushed on Oni’s hand with enough force to pop her humerus out of the shoulder joint. Oni cried out in pain, but she didn’t let go of the dagger.

Omoruyi released her.

Oni stumbled back a few steps. Her left hand rose to her right shoulder joint and with quivering lips, she pushed the bone back into the joint. Odion watched with amazement as Oni bit down hard on her lip to keep herself from crying. When the bone snapped back into place, Oni looked back up at her uncle.

Omoruyi curled his fore finger at Oni, summoning her.

Oni walked towards her uncle.

Omoruyi knelt on one knee in front of her. “I used to think Eroms was most like me, but I was wrong. It’s you Oni. You’re the fighter, you’re the one with the killer instinct. People like Eroms do what they have to do because they have to. People like us do it because we love it, because we enjoy it.”

Oni stared back at Omoruyi, but she didn’t respond. She just looked at him.

Omoruyi chuckled again. “No more ancestry guards. I’ll teach you. I’ll teach you how to fight like an Ehizokhae.”

Oni smiled.

Odion felt her apparition stirring behind her and she walked into it. As she walked through it, she poured over her newly found memories. Something had to have happened to make her so…cold? Scary? She was a grown woman and she was afraid of her eight year old self. She shook her head, as she stepped into the living room in her family’s house.

Eroms knelt on one side of the center table and Idemudia knelt on the other. They were playing a card game. Eroms dropped a card with a dragon on it. He pushed down on something in the center of the card and fire came out of it. Idemudia countered with a card of his own. The dragon’s fire went away. Akhere, or Rere as Eroms had nicknamed her, sat in the corner of the room. She had two dolls in front of her. Odion smiled remembering the names her sister had for those dolls. Tiwi and Tawa. She remembered the language they’d made up to enhance their ‘twin bond’. She didn’t know why Oni was so hard, but she knew Oni could love. That meant she wasn’t a psychopath, right? Odion contemplated that as her gaze went from her twin sister playing with dolls, to their mother, seated on the couch next to Rere, reading a novel. Her mother took her gaze from the book and bent down to play a little with Rere’s dolls. The smile on Rere’s face was pure delight.

The side door leading into the living room opened and her father walked in. Odion knew that normally, at this time of the day, he would be at work. But the anti-ancestry hatred had grown so high that none of them left the house. Itohan, her mother, frequently called the house their gilded cage. But Ejehmen ignored it. Right then, he stood by the door, leaning his back against the wall and watched his family. A gentle smile formed on his face and all the love he felt for each of them was plain to see.

Ejehmen walked towards Rere and picked her up. Rere squealed excitedly, wrapping her arms around her father’s neck.

“Where’s Oni?” Ejehmen asked.

“She’s upstairs.” Rere replied.

Ejehmen kissed her on her forehead and set her back on the ground. He walked towards the glass sliding door which connected the room to the entryway and yelled for Oni. “Come and be with your family!” his voice boomed.

Then he stopped talking. Eroms stilled in the living room too. It was as if they both heard something that alarmed them.

Ejehmen turned towards the big metal door which led into the house and waited. Slowly, the door opened. Two leather clad guards walked in. They were followed by the God-born and two more guards. Ejehmen exhaled.

He walked towards his mother and bowed, bending at the waist till his hand touched the floor. She patted him on the back and he stood up. She drew him closer and kissed him on the cheek.

Ejehmen pulled back. He smiled at his mother and then slowly, inch by inch, the smile morphed into a severe frown. “What are you doing here?!” he yelled.

“Ejehmen…” his mother began in a warning tone.

Ejehmen turned his attention towards the ancestry guard. “Have you lost your minds?” he asked them. “They’re hunting augurs and you let my mother walk here?”

“I wanted to see my family Ejehmen…”

Ejehmen turned on his mother. “Then why didn’t you have them teleport you?”

“Because I will not let InCoSeM dictate where I can or cannot go. I am uhonmon the first.”

“Mother, please…”

“No.” The God-born cut him off. “Now step aside and let me greet my grandchildren.”

Ejehmen’s jaw clenched, but he did as she commanded.

Itohan walked forward and then knelt in greeting. The God-born pulled her up and hugged her.

“Ejehmen is right.” Itohan whispered to the God-born. “Please be more careful, we can’t lose you.”

The God-born just smiled at Itohan. She walked passed her to the little girls kneeling on the floor and the boys lying down in greeting. One by one she pulled them up, kissed them on the cheek and hugged them tightly.

Ejehmen whispered something into Itohan’s ear.

Itohan walked forward. “Come on, let’s go and make something for mamin to eat.” She said to the children as she herded them towards the kitchen.

They’d barely taken a step away when the hall exploded with the loud sounds of someone knocking urgently against the metal door.

The ancestry guard closest to the door opened it.

Toju ran into the room, desperately seeking solace from the five armed locals chasing her.

The ancestry guard closest to the door was the first to drop. The guard standing next to him fell next. Toju vaulted forward and then dropped to the ground. The god-born pulled out a totem similar to Oni’s from her pocket. She swiped her hand over a pole of the totem and flung it in the air, as Ejehmen jumped in front of his family and the ancestry guards pulled out their bijou guns. They both rushed out of the house, one of them fell right in front of the welcome mat. The other fired three shots and fell on top of his comrade.

The God-born walked towards the door, seemingly indifferent to the two left pointing guns at her. She dug into her pocket and pulled out two more totems. She activated both of them, pressing her finger into the poles of the totems and then she flung them at the men firing at her. Both men dropped to the floor. The God-born closed the large metal door and reached for the first totem she’d thrown.

Odion studied that totem with wide eyes. No wonder the God-born hadn’t been afraid. The totem had acted like a shield, it drew all the bullets towards it and stuck them onto the surface. The God-born studied those bullets. She sighed, shaking her head as she pressed into another pole in the totem and it vanished. Odion knew what she’d seen in those bullets. They’d been pure clay red, the same type of bullets that Eroms had used to kill the InCoSeM reps. Which explained why the guns hadn’t made a sound as the bullets were expelled. They were bijou guns. The enemy had bijou guns.

The God-born reached into her shirt and pulled out the necklace she had underneath it. “Ejehmen’s house.” She whispered to it. “Now.”

That was when the fear-induced-shock began to abate. Itohan fell to her knees and crawled towards the corpse of her best friend. She cried as she held Toju’s body. The children clung to their father. Akhere wrapped her arms around his leg and wept into his trousers. Idemudia held on to the arm on his other side, buried his head into the crook of his father’s arm and cried. Eroms looked at the scene in front of him. He turned to the side and his gaze caught on Oni.

Oni stood still. She stared unflinchingly at the dead bodies on the floor and the blood coming out of them. She didn’t cry. Odion remembered that day, she remembered the night that followed. She remembered Akhere crying all through because she couldn’t sleep. She remembered the four of them huddled together in Eroms room. She remembered Idemudia shaking. She remembered Eroms trying to be brave for all of them, and the sound of him throwing up into his bathroom toilet when he thought he’d finally gotten them to sleep the next morning. She remembered everything because she hadn’t slept. She hadn’t slept at all. She’d been numb. Odion remembered the fear she’d felt when the door opened, and the first ancestry guard was killed. She knew then that Omoruyi was wrong, she’d never had a killer’s instinct. Her desire to fight came from a place of fear. She’d wanted to do something. But when aunty Toju was slaughtered, right there in the middle of their house, that was when Odion learned to accept death. Something in her broke that day. Something she’d only been able to fix by having the memories taken away. Now that she remembered, she could feel the fracture form. She hadn’t cried that day because as she stood watching the slaughter of her family’s ancestry, fear had given way to rage. She’d stared at the dead bodies on the ground and silently vowed to avenge them. She’d wanted to kill before, but that was the first time she knew she would enjoy it.

“Take them upstairs Eroms.” Ejehmen ordered.

Eromosele somehow managed to tear his crying brother and sister away from their father. He took them out of the room. Oni followed.

After the children left, whirls of dark mist rose in different spots around the room. Ekuase, Uwa’s father, came out of one of them. He stared at the bodies littered around the house and shook his head. “Take them back to ancestral grounds.” He ordered one set of people. He turned to another. “Clean up the blood.” Then he walked towards the God-born and knelt on one knee in front of her. The God-born impatiently gestured for him to stand up.

“There are seven more outside. All dead, all with bijou guns.” The God-born stated.

Ekuase nodded. He turned to another group of leather clad people and gestured towards the door. They filed out of it. He turned his gaze towards Itohan and the body she knelt by. “Did she find anything?” he asked.

“Did you bring the veilon?” she asked in reply. Ekuase nodded. “Then we’re about to find out.”

The God-born got her son’s attention and inclined her head towards his wife. Ejehmen pulled a desolate Itohan away from Toju’s side. The God-born knelt on one side of the body, Ekuase knelt on the other. He pulled a small spray-bottle out of the inner lining of his leather suit and sprayed the burgundy liquid over Toju’s right palm. As he sprayed, a white piece of paper became visible. It was as if the paper had somehow been etched into Toju’s skin. On the paper were two words written in green ink.

RESERVES COMPROMISED.

“It is as we feared.” Ekuase stated.

The God-born nodded. “We have a mole.” She stated in reply. “Someone in the ancestry. Someone who knows the locations of the reserves of pure elements outside ancestral grounds.”

“A descendant of the Enikaro.” Ekuase added carefully.

The God-born’s gaze narrowed on him. “What?” she demanded.

“They have bijou guns and bullets that can be fired from them. Only Enikaro blood can make those bullets menoba. Someone must be giving them blood.”

The God-born shook her head. “InCoSeM had one of our obos alive for months. We didn’t know why they kept him alive, but I think now we do.”

Ekuase gasped in shock and outrage. “You think they drained his blood?”

“It is the only explanation. No descendant of the Enikaro would willingly give these people blood. No. Our mole is in the ancestry, and I know exactly where to start looking.”

“Isokun.” Ekuase stated.

The God-born nodded. She stood up and walked over to her son. She put a hand on Itohan’s back to console the weeping woman as she spoke to her son. “You will have ancestry guards.” She stated. “Until I can find a way to bring all of you back to ancestral grounds.”

Ejehmen shook his head. “We are not Enikaro…”

“Shut up Ejehmen.” The God-born snapped. “You are an Ehizokhae, the Enikaro is in your blood. You will always be a descendant of the Enikaro, you cannot change it anymore than you can change your blood. You will have ancestry guards. I was not asking.”

Ejehmen glared at his mother, but he didn’t have the chance to respond because she turned around and walked back to Ekuase and Toju’s body. She gestured to one of the ancestry guards, giving permission for Toju’s body to be taken back.

Then she nodded at Ekuase. Ekuase nodded at one of the guards and his eyes turned red. A dark mist formed around them. Odion hadn’t realized how close she’d been standing to her grandmother until the rising mist encircled her too, taking her from her family’s living room to the exterior of the ancestral grounds.

Isokun’s timing couldn’t be any worse. At that moment, as the God-born and Ekuase walked towards him, three ancestry guards behind them, Isokun was talking animatedly with Paul the InCoSeM rep. The InCoSeM rep turned around, noticed the God-born and the guards and he smiled at Isokun. He said a few words to the young man and then bowed grandly in the God-born’s direction before forming a dark mist and teleporting away, before they got close to him.

Isokun dropped to the floor. He lay down in greeting to the God-born as she stopped in front of him. The God-born didn’t waste a moment talking to him. Instead, she turned to her ancestral guards. “Arrest him.” She ordered.

Isokun stared up at the God-born in shock. A dark mist formed around her and Ekuase and they both disappeared, leaving Isokun there with two ancestry guards.

“I didn’t do anything wrong!” Isokun yelled. “I’m doing what the clan ordered.” He struggled against the strong grip the guards had on him. They were both alphas. They went into their mark, their golden eyes beaming as they wrestled Isokun to his feet and began pulling him towards the tunnel of the twins.

Out of nowhere, a dark mist formed behind the first alpha. A long-blade knife came out of the mist and tore into the man’s side. The man let go and dropped to the floor. He was dead as soon as his body touched the ground. The mist formed in front of the second alpha, and again the knife killed the unsuspecting man. The mist went away, leaving a shocked Isokun staring dumbfounded into the ether.

The mist reappeared.

Omoruyi came out of it. He wasn’t alone. The bodies of three dead InCoSeM reps, one white the other two black, came with him.

Isokun’s mouth hung open. “You killed them.” He gasped in shock, staring at the bodies of the InCoSeM reps.

Omoruyi shook his head. “No.” he replied. “You did.”

Isokun took a wide step back. He shook his head.

Omoruyi stretched out his gloved hand offering him the knife in it. “Take the knife, the ancestry guards and the InCoSeM reps back to my mother. InCoSeM patented this technique for killing wolves. Tell her that the InCoSeM reps killed the guards and that you killed them in retribution. It will help you earn back her trust.”

“I thought I already had the clan’s trust.”

“That was before you gave away the secret location of the reserves of pure elements to your new friends.”

Isokun shook his head. “I did what?” he asked, confused.

“You know, gave a little to earn their trust.”

“I did nothing of the such!” Isokun yelled back. “I would never betray the ancestry.” He swore.

“Wouldn’t you?” Omoruyi asked. He shrugged. “Fine.” He replied. “If you say so. Now, take the knife and deliver the reps to my mother.”

“No.” Isokun stated forcefully.

“The way I see it, you have two options, run, or do what I say. If you run, in addition to having the full force of the ancestry turned against you, you will make Efua into a laughingstock for ever trusting you. If on the other hand you do what I say, Efua looks like the wisest woman in the world. Like a queen. Which will it be? Make Efua look like a fool, or a queen?”

Isokun’s hand shook as he rose it to pick up the knife in Omoruyi’s.

“Why are you doing this? Why are you helping me?” Isokun asked.

“I’m helping a friend.” He replied with a conciliatory smile on his face.

Isokun smiled back. “I won’t forget this.” He swore as his eyes turned red and he formed a dark mist around himself and the bodies.

Omoruyi waited for Isokun to leave and then the friendly smile on his face turned menacing. “I know you won’t.” he replied.

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 9:54am On Dec 17, 2018
chai, i wonder what uyi is up to and obehiD, can u remind me who isokun is again, i have forgotten
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 1:34pm On Dec 17, 2018
Peaceyw:
chai, i wonder what uyi is up to and obehiD, can u remind me who isokun is again, i have forgotten

Isokun...I'll start from the basics:

- Isokun is Ehi, Oare and Ose's father.

- Isokun is the man in prison from the last book and the start of this one

- Odion's visions from the last book revealed that:

- -> Isokun is the first ever bi-marked commune augur in the Benin community
- -> Isokun was accepted into the ancestry
- -> Efua blamed Isokun for killing her family
- -> Isokun was being haunted by a spirit that promised to destroy his descendants for what he'd done, if he didn't find a way to make amends
- -> Isokun killed his twin children to create a scarlet diadem and gained his commune sight in the process
- -> Isokun (with the help of an unnamed teenager) use the scarlet diadem to transfer a witch mark from a baby to Odion (that's how Odion became a bi-marked witch-augur, which allows her to see visions of the past)
- -> Isokun wants Osezele in the community
- -> Isokun was in love with Efua

- The visions from this book reveal:

--> Efua trusts Isokun and suggested that Isokun be sent as a spy to the InCoSeM reps meetings.
- ->The God-born suspects Isokun of being a traitor (last chapter posted) i.e being a double agent, turning against the ancestry and supporting InCoSeM
--> Omoruyi saves Isokun from being arrested and tries to help him gain the clan's trust back, by killing InCoSeM reps and giving him their bodies to offer to the clan
- -> Isokun trusts Omoruyi

I hope that helps. There are some other details I'm probably leaving out, but these are all the big things that I can think of, off the top of my head. Hope that helps.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 3:33pm On Dec 17, 2018
obehiD:

Isokun...I'll start from the basics:

- Isokun is Ehi, Oare and Ose's father.

- Isokun is the man in prison from the last book and the start of this one

- Odion's visions from the last book revealed that:

- -> Isokun is the first ever bi-marked commune augur in the Benin community
- -> Isokun was accepted into the ancestry
- -> Efua blamed Isokun for killing her family
- -> Isokun was being haunted by a spirit that promised to destroy his descendants for what he'd done, if he didn't find a way to make amends
- -> Isokun killed his twin children to create a scarlet diadem and gained his commune sight in the process
- -> Isokun (with the help of an unnamed teenager) use the scarlet diadem to transfer a witch mark from a baby to Odion (that's how Odion became a bi-marked witch-augur, which allows her to see visions of the past)
- -> Isokun wants Osezele in the community
- -> Isokun was in love with Efua

- The visions from this book reveal:

--> Efua trusts Isokun and suggested that Isokun be sent as a spy to the InCoSeM reps meetings.
- ->The God-born suspects Isokun of being a traitor (last chapter posted) i.e being a double agent, turning against the ancestry and supporting InCoSeM
--> Omoruyi saves Isokun from being arrested and tries to help him gain the clan's trust back, by killing InCoSeM reps and giving him their bodies to offer to the clan
- -> Isokun trusts Omoruyi

I hope that helps. There are some other details I'm probably leaving out, but these are all the big things that I can think of, off the top of my head. Hope that helps.

i remembered from ur second explaination, thanks
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 9:00pm On Dec 17, 2018
Honestly Obehid, these Incosem really know how to get on my nerve. I just hope they are destroyed. This update is heart wrecking.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 2:32am On Dec 18, 2018
Fazemood:
Honestly Obehid, these Incosem really know how to get on my nerve. I just hope they are destroyed. This update is heart wrecking.

Yes, oh, I hope InCoSeM gets what they get what they deserve cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 7:14am On Dec 20, 2018
Chapter Twenty-nine
----------------------------------------------------
St. Luke’s, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria

Osezele stopped in front of the corner Lami shared with Tolani. She peeped in, mindful of the fight going on in the back of the school block and the need for haste and was taken aback by what she saw. Lami lay curled up on her bed, with her head resting against her pillow, her right hand underneath the pillow and her left tucked between her legs. She stared off blankly into space.

Osezele swallowed nervously. She took a deep breath, looking around the hostel as she tried to figure out the best way to approach her problem. Her eyes glazed over the array of hanging towels, draped over the front rods of bunk beds. It was a colorful display, with a wide range of towel characters and large letters. Most of those towels were magic towels, the infamous type of towels which started off small enough to fit into one’s hand, until the towel was put into water and the entire thing unfolded. Osezele took her gaze back to Lami.

She took a deep breath, said a silent prayer and walked into Lami’s corner. “Please excuse me.” She was sure to call out before walking in.

Lami didn’t even move. It was as if Lami hadn’t heard her.

Osezele didn’t let that faze her. She walked into the corner and bent to a squat by the head of the bed. She positioned herself so that she was directly in Lami’s line of sight. Lami’s eyes didn’t move. They remained just as they’d been before Osezele walked in, staring on, as if Osezele was invisible.

“Lami.” Osezele called out.

No response. Lami blinked, but it was more like a reflex than a response to anything she’d said.

“Lami.” Osezele tried again. “We need you. The wolves are out of control.” Osezele added the last as a whisper so that no one would hear. Granted the closest person was quite a few bunks away, but she wasn’t about to take any chances.

Lami didn’t respond.

In a daring move, Osezele stretched out her hand and grasped Lami on the shoulder. She shook Lami, timidly at first. When that didn’t garner a response, Osezele’s shaking became more vigorous. To Osezele, it was like poking a bear. Luckily, her fear was getting washed away, if not she would never have had the gall to touch Lami, let alone shake her so forcefully.

And then. “Lami!” Osezele snapped.

Lami’s eyes focused on Osezele’s face right as Osezele gasped, shocked by her own audacity. She instantly took her hand off Lami. Lami’s gaze tracked the withdrawal of her hand, and then slowly rose to Osezele’s face once her hand was back by her side. Lami blinked. Osezele gulped. Lami remained still, but her eyes kept moving. They roamed over Osezele slowly, moving from the top of Osezele’s head, to the tip of the toes she had sticking out in her crouched position, and then slowly back to Osezele’s eyes.

Lami sat up.

Osezele took two steps back and then lowered to a more comfortable kneeling position. She crawled towards Lami.

Lami remained quiet.

“I’m sorry Lami.” Osezele began, all the while keeping her voice low, so she wouldn’t be overheard. “I’m sorry, but we need you. The wolves are out of control.”

“Go and find Beedie.” Lami stated.

Her voice was low. Osezele didn’t know if a voice could be exhausted, but Lami’s voice certainly sounded like it was. No, she thought, mentally shaking her head, not exhausted, defeated.

“Beedie is part of the problem. Lami…”

Lami shook her head cutting Osezele off. For a brief second Osezele saw a glimpse of the fire that made Lami such a formidable force. And then it went away. “I can’t.” was Lami’s simple reply. “I just can’t.”

“Of course you can!” Osezele insisted. “Lami we need you…”

“I don’t…”

“Stop it!” Osezele snapped. “Stop. This isn’t you! Look at yourself Lami, just look at yourself.” At some point during her tirade, Osezele had become scared enough to completely throw caution to the wind. She thought about the wolves, about Nosa and Victor, boys that she loved who would die if Lami didn’t shake out of her slump and that thought took away all her inhibition. If she’d been paying any attention to the subject of her tirade, she would have noticed Lami’s glare, or the fisting of her hands, but she didn’t, and so she went on speaking. “I know you’re sad that Moji left, but you did everything that you could. You did everything for your sister, and you did everything for this school. You were the best grand warlock that you could be. The first thing you did wrong, was pull away from us after Moji left. Lami how can you be in this school and not know that there is quintise magic around us? Do you even know that Elliot is dead? Do you know that there is a new student who recently had his first transformation? How can you be here and not know any of these things Lami? The wolves have completely lost control! They could kill themselves! I ran here with the wind, I was moving so fast I could have been caught, all so that I could come and beg for your help. But I shouldn’t have to beg for your help. You are the grand warlock, you should know that we need it, we need you. Moji is safe, she will come back, but if you don’t wake up, she may not have a school to come back to.” Osezele stopped when her panic wore off and the words fizzled slowly to a stop.

It was as if she’d had blinders on, because while she’d been delivering her speech, Lami had stood up. Osezele looked up at Lami, her eyes widened. She put her hands over her mouth. “Lami I’m sorry.” She begged. “I’m sorry, I’m just scared, I…”

“Shut up.”

Osezele stopped talking. There was a tiny part of her mind that told her to be happy. She’d revived Lami. That was what she’d come here for, to pull Lami out, to get her help. So, why wasn’t she happy? Only a fool wouldn’t know the answer to that question, she chided the foolish part of her brain which had dared voice it. Osezele didn’t bother getting up. She decided to save herself time by just staying on her knees. She was sure that Lami would think of an appropriate punishment. ‘I’m an idiot’, she scolded herself as she watched Lami pace in her corner.

Lami walked passed Osezele, and Osezele flinched, expecting a blow that never came.

“How long?” Lami asked.

“Ehn?”

“How long ago did Elliot die?” asked Lami.

There was something in Lami’s voice that Osezele couldn’t quite place. It was a mixture of so many emotions she didn’t even want to try.

“It’s been over a month.” Osezele replied.

“God.” Lami sank onto Tolani’s bed. “How didn’t I know?” she asked rhetorically. She buried her hands into her low-cut hair.

“Lami.” Osezele called out her name gently.

“What?” Lami snapped, without lifting her head.

“This fight with the wolves, it’s serious.” Osezele stated carefully.

Lami’s head rose from her hands. “How do you know there’s quintise magic around the school?”

“My uncle told me. He said it was bijoutise magic.”

Lami’s eyes shone with hope. “Did he have any news about Moji?”

Osezele’s eyes dropped. She shook her head. “It wasn’t that uncle. It was his brother.” She replied.

The hope faded quickly from Lami’s eyes and determination rose to take its place. “What did you mean by you ran with the wind?”

“I’m an elemental Lami, I’m learning to control the wind. I can move with it.”

Lami nodded. “Gather all the marked in the school. Make sure they’re in the back of the school block before I get there.”

Osezele stood up slowly. She nodded and then turned to leave the corner. Then she stopped by the edge of the bunks and turned back to face Lami. “What are you going to do?” she asked.

Lami stood. She frowned at Osezele. “Don’t make me start by punishing you. Didn’t I just send you on an errand?” she asked calmly. Lami blinked and Osezele was gone.

Lami exhaled deeply. She walked over to her bed and pulled out the picture she had underneath her pillow. It was a picture of herself and her baby sister at a resort in Uyo. Moji had a big smile on her face. Lami always teased her about that picture.

As Lami stared at that picture, all of her doubts came back. She thought of everything that her sister would have to live with, everything that she’d allowed happen to her sister and all she wanted to do was crawl back into her bed and never get up. Somedays she felt so guilty it was a struggle just to get out of bed in the morning. She’d been spending so many days just lying in the sickbay, that she’d completely lost track with reality. Elliot was dead. Elliot was dead, and she didn’t even know. How?

Lami shook her head. She stared at the picture again and her lips twitched as she studied Moji’s goofy smile. Nothing in her life would ever be the same. And now, in addition to the guilt of what she’d done to her sister, she would have to bear the guilt of Elliot too?
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 7:14am On Dec 20, 2018
Lami sighed. She kissed picture-Moji on the forehead and put the picture back under her pillow. Lami reached for the other thing she had under that pillow. It was a sheathed dagger, a gift from her mother. She pulled the sheath off to inspect the weapon, remembering everything she’d been told about the InCoSeM councilman her mother had bought it from, and how lethal it was against werewolves. Lami put the dagger into the secret pocket her father had sewn into her skirt. Then she knelt and reached for the other weapon.

She was more careful with this one. There was no sheath, nothing to protect her hand. She had to avoid the prickly ends, because even though it wasn’t poisonous to her, it was still sharp. She grabbed onto the leather handle and pulled the banewhip out from under her bed. Lami stood to her full height looking down at the long length of intertwined metallic wires and the sharp pieces of glass melted in. Believe it or not, it wasn’t the cut from the shredded glass that made wolves drop.

Lami closed her eyes. She knew what she had to do. As much as she feared she wasn’t ready, she couldn’t shirk her responsibilities any longer. Lami left the hostel.

As she made the long walk from her hostel to the back of the school block, she watched the wide-eyed look the students gave her. When was the last time she’d noticed that? She ignored the voices in her head. There’d always been doubt, but there’d also been the louder voice, the one that reminded her that she could do it. There was a reason the students seemed more afraid of her than the cane in her hand. There was a reason Emeka had given the banewhip to her before he’d left. He should have passed it on to Beedie, or Nosa, one of his wolves, but he’d given it to her. Emeka had told her that it was a symbolic gesture, handed over to the leader of the St. Luke’s marked. Her. She was the leader. Yes, Beedie was the alpha, just as Yemi had been the grand warlock, but Emeka had been the leader of the marked and Lami had been the one he chose. Lami looked down at the symbolic banewhip with guilt. Still, she ignored the negative voices in her mind. It was a trick she was an expert at.

Lami got to the back of the school block and stopped, frozen in her path.

Osezele hadn’t been exaggerating. This wasn’t like anything she’d ever seen before. Lami turned her mind off and stormed towards them.

Osezele knew the moment Lami was near. It wasn’t because she’d seen Lami, but because of the reaction in the students who’d seen her. The fight had only gotten more violent. The wolves had spread out so much, the warlocks bit nervously on their nails. Some of them had sunk into hysteria, some were on their knees praying, and others just watched, preparing to meet their end with bravado. But as soon as Lami was sighted, a blanket of calmness descended over the group. The prayers stopped, the shivers ceased, the despair went away. Lami was like a beacon of hope, a lighthouse in the middle of a sea storm.

The lighthouse stopped in front of Osezele.

Osezele watched Lami warily. She knew she’d crossed a line in the way she’d spoken to Lami earlier. SS1 girls didn’t talk to SS3 girls like that. They just didn’t, but she had. Lami rose her hand and the thing she held in it wrought an instant wave of dread in Osezele. She’d known Lami would punish her, but that thing in her hand, that thing could kill her.

“Take it.” Lami said, offering the banewhip to Osezele. “It’ll be faster if you do it. Use your wind and tear through them and flog the wolves with this. It’ll cool them down.”

Osezele’s eyes bulged. She shook her head. “I can’t.” she gasped.

“Why does that sound familiar?” Lami muttered referring to the same words Osezele had refused to hear from her only minutes ago. “Take it joh.”

Osezele stepped back. “No Lami. I can’t they’re my seniors.”

Lami hissed. “You’re more afraid of SS2 and SS3 boys than you are of me?”

It was as if every person gathered around them stopped breathing to hear what Osezele would say. Osezele remained silent.

“Just kneel down there. I’ll come back for you.” Lami ordered in dismissal.

Lami turned back to the crazy fighting boys. She gestured to two of her classmates, two strong healing witches, and they followed as she walked towards the mass of fighting bodies. It was perfect timing because one of the wolves had just received a blow which separated him from the group. Lami tested the banewhip on him. She snapped it forward, and was surprised when the stiff wires became wispy, acting like a whip.

She smiled.

Lami didn’t know anything about fighting with canes, but whips were a whole other story. Lami relaxed into her role as she realized that this was the moment her mother had unknowingly been training her for, all her life.

Lami snapped the whip and the wires wrapped around the boy’s neck, the sharp glass pieces tearing into his skin. The werewolf lashed around like a rabid animal as Lami pulled forcefully, drawing the boy towards her.

The werewolf landed on the floor in front of her, shaking and sweating. His eyes cleared, and his fangs and claws receded. It was just the boy now; the wolf was gone. “Drag him away.” Lami ordered. “We need to separate them.” One of the witches nodded. He pulled the wolf back as the other one walked towards Lami. He nodded at her.

This time Lami had to walk into the fray.

She was ruthless. She started at the side that had the most SS2 boys.

One of the wolves, her classmate was strangling an SS2 beta. She lifted her hand and brought the whip down hard on the back of her classmate’s neck. The glass shredded the boy’s skin, sending the poison in it coursing through his system. He dropped to the floor, right there in the middle of the fight.

Bad for him, Lami thought, as she turned her attention to the frenzied SS2 boy who’d homed in on her as a new target. She slashed the whip across his stomach before he could grab onto her. This one had the good sense to fall to the side. The other witch pulled him back and drew him away. Lami worked efficiently with her poisoned whip. She dodged flying claws and whipped in circles tearing open backs and hooking into already ripped chests. The wolves had done a number on themselves, but, she added smiling a little, they all seemed to be more or less in one piece.

That was when she saw the body.

Someone screamed behind her.

For a moment Lami was frozen in place. She couldn’t move, couldn’t breathe, couldn’t hear, all she could do was look at the mangled body. The boy’s face was so badly broken she couldn’t recognize him. There was blood allover his uniform. His neck bones seemed to have been destroyed, because his head was bent at an unnatural angle. His arm was snapped, the forearm was buried in the dirt tilting the rest up. His trousers and shirt were ripped. But it was the face that Lami couldn’t look away from. It was so badly beaten, it didn’t even look like a face anymore.

A hand clamped onto Lami’s forearm and pulled her back sharply, just in time to save her from the business end of Ricky’s claws. Lami snapped out of her haze. She looked around, surprised to see that there were only six wolves left fighting. Four, she corrected herself, making certain not to look at the mangled body on the ground. Victor and Nosa seemed to be trying to separate two betas one in SS2 and one in SS3. Lami saw the bone sticking out of her boyfriend’s shoulder and looked away. She left the betas to them and focused, not on the body, but on the two golden eyed monsters fighting on the other side of it. One she knew, Beedie. The other one was white, which meant he had to be Ricky.

Lami snapped her whip and it circled Ricky’s neck. She pulled on the edge of it and the glass shards dug into his neck. For a second Ricky growled in pain. He turned around. It looked like he would fight back, and then he just dropped, like the others. Nosa and Victor had managed to separate the betas. Lami’s attention shifted to Beedie.

Without the other wolves’ angers to feed off, Beedie’s eyes cleared. He returned to normal. He frowned at Lami. “Don’t even think of using that thing on me.” He warned.

Lami glared at him. She turned around and took stock of all the people. She counted the wolves in her head, trying to find the one they’d lost. She frowned when she realized that they all seemed to be there. None missing. So, whose body was it? She asked herself.

“Danny!” Ricky screamed.

Lami didn’t turn around. She felt an onslaught of grief as she heard the white boy scream Danny’s name over and over again. But she didn’t turn around. She focused instead on the students standing in front of her. Now that the danger of the wolves fighting had gone away, and the reality of the dead boy had taken its place, they all seemed to be split between sorrow and avoidance. Lami walked over to the witches who’d helped her clean up.

“Are there any unmarked in the school block?” she asked.

One of them, after taking a look at Danny’s body, was on his knees throwing up. The other simply shook his head in response to Lami’s question. His jaw was clenched, he didn’t speak, just shook his head.

“Good.” Lami stated.

“Beedie!” Lami snapped out his name, like a soldier barking out an order. “Come!” Without turning around, she marched towards the classrooms on the other side of the wall. She didn’t check to see if Beedie would follow. She didn’t need to.

2 Likes

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 7:36am On Dec 20, 2018
Give us more of Lami!
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by GeoSilYe(f): 1:07pm On Dec 20, 2018
Poor Danny
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by monalicious(f): 6:40pm On Dec 20, 2018
OMG, that last episode was lit. I'm sorry Danny had to dir, quite painful, but I'm just so in love with lami now, I can almost not grieve for Danny. I guess his death would help Ricky be more sensible.

I remember you mentioning shape shifters, as much as interesting that would be, I feel it's making the scope of the story too broad, we have a lot of different characters already, so as to avoid confusing readers and losing track of the original story, don't you think it would be okay to stick with what we have now?
Its your call though

Meanwhile,

Next episode please.

Well done obehid. U r great
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by spixytinxy(f): 9:56am On Dec 21, 2018
Haaaa, not again. Why Danny now. Good work obehid. Dis suspense is too much oo
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 10:27am On Dec 21, 2018
wow a bane whip, the one i know of is wolfsbane and silverwhip. And obehiD you have forgotten about that after life where dat man went to and marked where seperated from unmarked and they where told to fight to determine whether they would suffer or have a good afterlife. Is this house Danny will die and beedie suppose chop one stroke from dat banewhip.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by tunjilomo(m): 1:54pm On Dec 23, 2018
Is the prowl going to arrive now, or will they also cover this up.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 1:55pm On Dec 23, 2018
@OluwabuqqyYOLO more Lami coming up. In fact, there is sooo much Lami in the coming chapters grin

@GeoSilYe yeah cry

@monalicious Thank you so much for your advice! Yeah, shifters are a type of varmints. I understand that including them may make the story a lot more broad, but the story actually gets a lot bigger from here. I'll have to try to do a better job to make sure that I clear up all confusions. Right now there are no major shape shifters in the nearest future, but I'll try to clear it up if I add more characters. I'd appreciate it if you tell me if/when it gets too confusing. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

@spixytinxy haha, thanks. Next update soon (tomorrow morning latest)

@Peaceyw Yeah, I liked the banewhip too! More of that/more explanation coming up in next chapter(s). The afterlife world that I posted earlier is actually not part of this book, I just put that in to put a little bit of a context on one of the other existences. There may be some short stories based in detail on other existences, but that isn't actually part of this main story.
There is a bit more to the afterlife worlds.
It's really the kind of life a person lived/ their mark/ the circumstance of their death that decides the afterlife world (existence) that they go to. This is actually somewhat of an important concept for the overall story -> the other existences and how they interface with this one. But it really doesn't mean that much right now. The other existences interference will be introduced very close to the end of this book, and explained in a lot more detail in the next one.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 1:57pm On Dec 23, 2018
tunjilomo:
Is the prowl going to arrive now, or will they also cover this up.

That question will be answered fully with the next two chapters (may only need the next one)

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 1:49am On Dec 24, 2018
Chapter Thirty
St. Luke’s, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria

Lami paced the classroom. She made it all the way across the front of the room before Beedie came storming in. He slammed the door behind him, literally shutting it in Victor’s face. Victor had become so used to the way Beedie treated him, the broken nose he got as a result didn’t even bother him. He snapped it back in place and then opened the door. He walked into the classroom and closed the door behind him.

Victor watched Lami and Beedie stare each other off. Beedie eyed the banewhip in Lami’s hand and Lami eyed Beedie. Beedie was furious. Victor knew him well enough to know that he wanted to lash out at Lami. Beedie had changed, it was a fact that Victor occasionally brought up to Lami, a fact that his girlfriend had always chosen to downplay. He had a very strong feeling that they were both about to find out just how much Beedie had changed. If Lami had taken the time to talk to him before summoning Beedie like an errand child, he would have told her that it wasn’t a good idea. But no, she hadn’t spoken to him. Victor wondered how Lami had even known that the wolves were fighting. She’d been so spaced out for so long he hadn’t wanted to worry her with troubling details like the pack’s instability and the quintise magic around the school.

Victor sighed as he fought down another wave of pain. His healing as an omega was much slower than the healing of the alphas and the betas. The alphas had all fully healed. Thinking about alphas brought the image of Ricky kneeling on the floor by Danny’s body back to him. It was such a troubling image, Victor had to force it down. He cleared his throat and called out to his girlfriend to distract himself from the memory.

Lami wasn’t ready to deal with Victor just yet. Instead she turned the full force of her rage on Beedie. “Well done.” She congratulated him. She stalked towards him, moving slowly and dragging the tip of the banewhip on the floor behind her. “Are you satisfied now?” She asked once she was standing only a few steps away from Beedie.

Beedie’s jaw clenched. He glared at Lami. “Who do you think you’re talking to?” he snapped at her.

“Who do you think you’re talking to?” she snapped back at him.

Victor groaned. He rubbed the tip of his fingers against his temple. “Mimi.” He called out again.

Again, Lami ignored him.

“You shouldn’t even be talking Lami.” Beedie stated. “What, you’ve heard from Moji shey? All your problems have finish, so now that your sister is okay you have our time?”

“Shut up.” Lami snapped.

“Where have you been?!” Beedie yelled back at her. “While you’ve been crying yourself to sleep over missing your baby sister, I’ve been carrying the marked in this school on my back. I’m the only reason we are not in the community right now. ME. Nobody else. So, don’t even start with me Lami, you don’t have any ground to stand on. Just respect yourself and thank me for taking care of everybody.”

“Like you took care of Elliot?” Lami asked.

Beedie took a threatening step towards her. Lami struck out with the whip. Beedie jumped back only narrowly escaping it.

“Are you mad?” he yelled at her.

“You are the one that is mad. You must have lost your mind Beedie. The quintise magic must have eroded your brain. Is it me you are trying to threaten? What, like you are going to hit me? Me! Beedie you must be insane. Your village people have held your sense hostage. Idiot.” Lami completed her string of insults with her patented hiss.

“You ungrateful bitch!” Beedie yelled at her.

Victor jumped to his feet. “Hey!” He yelled at Beedie. “That was uncalled for.”

Beedie saw Victor striding towards him and he smiled, happy to have someone he could beat.

Lami cut the banewhip across the air in front of Victor.

Victor stopped.

“Mimi.” He called out.

“Stay out of this.” She snapped at him.

Victor’s mouth hung open. He frowned at the side of his girlfriend he was seeing. Victor knew Lami, he’d always known who she was with other people. But she’d never been that way with him. Until now. He wasn’t sure how to respond. She didn’t give him the chance.

Lami turned her attention back to Beedie. “Yes.” She stated. “I stepped down. I took stock of my state of mind and saw that I wasn’t in any condition to lead. I stepped down and I gave my warlocks to you Beedie, because I trusted you, because we made a promise when Yemi and Emeka handed over to us. Do you remember? Or has the quintise magic taken your memory as well as your self-control?”

Beedie clenched his jaw, but some of the anger drained from his face.

“You are a lot of things Beedie, but at the end of the day, I always thought you were a good person. But now I know that you are not. If you were a good person, you would have acknowledged that you shouldn’t have been leading this group. You would have come to talk to me. No matter how bad things are with me, I would never allow my personal problems get in the way of the safety of the students in this school. Why didn’t you come to me Beedie? Why was it an SS1 girl who had to come and tell me how bad things were? Yes, I stepped back, but that wasn’t my mistake. My mistake was trusting you. Now I see you for what you are. You are a killer Beedie. You are a murderer, Mr. Serial Killer, Oga Psychopath. God forbid bad thing.” Lami snapped her fingers and shrugged her shoulder.

Victor saw it coming as soon as the last words left Lami’s mouth, but he was too slow to stop it. Beedie had already charged at her.

Lami got the exact reaction she’d been hoping for. She wielded the hard wire strands in the air and brought the banewhip down hard on Beedie’s back. He dropped to the floor on his side. Lami wasn’t done. She hit him again. First, on his exposed back, then on his chest, and the last time cutting across his face. Beedie lay on the floor shivering from the effect of the poison in the whip. Lami knew he would heal quickly, because unlike the other students she’d used the banewhip on, the glass shards had only lightly dented his skin. They hadn’t penetrated all the way in to mix with his blood.

Lami bent to a squat by Beedie. “I’m taking the students back. Not just the warlocks but the wolves as well. If you have anything resembling a conscience in that mangled soul of yours, you’ll help me. But don’t fight me Beedie.” She looked him straight in the eye as she put the banewhip down. Beedie’s eyes darted to the whip lying on the floor as Lami pulled out the dagger in her pocket. She slowly pulled off the sheath. Beedie’s eyes came back to her. She put the tip of the sharp knife against his neck. “Do you know what this is?” she asked conversationally. Beedie didn’t respond. Lami hadn’t expected him to. “This is InCoSeM’s patented werewolf-killing blade. Before my mother sent me here, she taught me all the ways to use it to kill a werewolf. How to throw it, where to aim, everything. First it was Mr. Danladi, then Elliot and now Danny. No more Beedie. If any other person dies because of the wolves in your pack, I will kill you. It will be a public service Beedie, like putting down a rabid animal. And you won’t be my first. I come from a long line of wielders.” Beedie’s eyes widened. He gulped nervously. Lami smiled. She nodded. “No more.” She said. And then she stood up.

She took a step back deliberately leaving the whip on the floor. Beedie was back at full strength, she could tell from the way he moved his body. He began to rise, moving slowly at first, and then he jumped up. The banewhip lay on the floor between them. Beedie stared longingly at the whip. Lami watched him.

Beedie looked away from the banewhip. He focused on Lami instead. Something had changed in her. She stood tall. Her bearing seemed more serious, her presence more commanding and her eyes much more lethal.

Beedie was afraid.

Wielders were Beedie’s worst nightmare. He came from a family of augurs, a line of marked who detested varmints. He was all too familiar with the tale of wielders. The deadly warriors armed with weapons, containing concentrated doses of the poison on the banewhip, who went after out of control wolves. There had always been something forceful about Lami and now Beedie knew what it was.

“It was a mistake.” He stated. His voice shook. “It was the quintise magic. I swear Lami, it was the quintise magic. I may not be a good person, but I’m not a killer. We get angry and we can’t control ourselves. It’s like we black out. If you have a solution, I’ll listen.”

“Just make sure your wolves get on the same page.” Lami replied.

Beedie nodded. He took one last longing look at the banewhip, the whip Emeka should have passed down to him, and sighed. He nodded, turned around and walked out of the classroom.

Lami sheathed the dagger, put it back in her pocket and bent to pick up the banewhip.

Victor’s mouth hung open. He couldn’t believe everything he’d just heard, everything he’d witnessed. While Beedie’s capitulation was shocking, it was the revelation that he was dating a killer that had him most out of his depths. She couldn’t really be a wielder, could she? Victor decided to just ask.

“Mimi,” he began gently, on the off chance that she really was a cold-hearted killer and had somehow managed to fool him, “are you really a wielder?”

“You’ve seen me Unclad, you tell me.” She snapped back at him.

Victor was too relieved by her answer to fixate on the tone of her voice. He exhaled, remembering the infamous marks that wielders had on their backs. He had seen his girlfriend Unclad, and he knew she didn’t have that brand. She wasn’t a wielder! Wow. He wouldn’t have thought she was if she hadn’t sounded so serious when she threatened Beedie. And the blade. It was an exact replica of the ones wielders carried. “Where did you get the dagger?”

“My family is rich. My mother bought it.” Lami replied tersely.

Now that the threat of a wielder girlfriend was settled, Victor’s focus went to the tone of her voice. He walked closer towards her. She swiped the banewhip in the air threateningly. Victor scoffed. “Is that supposed to scare me?” he asked.

“It should if you’re half as smart as you think you are?” Lami replied.

Victor threw his hands up in the air. “What is going on? What did I do Mimi?”

“Nothing.” She stated.

Victor smiled. “So why are you…”

“You didn’t do anything Victor. You let things get this bad without telling me. Why?”

Victor took another step towards her and stopped when she rose the banewhip. “Mimi, I didn’t want to put any more on your plate. You were going through so much already.”

“I stepped down because I didn’t know how much I was needed. I’m not fragile Victor. And the fact that I have to tell you that makes me question everything I ever thought I knew about us.” Lami walked out of the room after saying that.

The atmosphere on the other side of the wall was tense. The wolves had been so out of it when they fought that they hadn’t realized what they’d been doing. But now that it was over, and the result of their fight was lying on the grass in front of them, none of them could stomach what they’d done. Not even Lanky, who’d started the whole thing. They hadn’t meant for any of it to happen. Each of them had heard Victor go on and on about the quintise magic and why they couldn’t lose control, but they hadn’t felt the effects for themselves. Most of them had been on the other side of the events with Elliot. They hadn’t been responsible for his death, they didn’t have that guilt to bear. But Danny, Danny was on them. They killed him.

Lami walked over to the other side of the wall. She stood by the wall for a minute, taking in the student’s mood. Most of the warlocks glared at the wolves with sanctimonious disdain, as if they couldn’t believe what they’d done. The wolves all hung back. There was no grouping by class, no gathering of friends. They all stood apart. Some of them stared at the body as if looking at it would make it go away, reverse the actions of that day. Some hung their heads in shame, too disgusted to look at the body or anyone else. Some stared off into space. Then there were Ricky and Tolani who knelt by the body.

Lami continued walking.

As she got closer to the group, the whispers of werewolf disavowal from the warlocks stopped. The wolves pulled their attentions to her. Lami kept walking, furiously scrambling in her mind for words to say and a course of action that would stop anything like this from ever happening again. She could feel the werewolves’ guilt, but sadly, she knew it wouldn’t last. Not when it was so much easier to blame the quintise magic.

Lami climbed up to the pavement.

She kept walking until she was standing in front of the body. She looked down and had to fight her instinctual reaction to the gore. She hadn’t noticed how red everything was. She’d been so focused on the body, she hadn’t paid attention to all the blood on the grass. And there was so much blood.

Lami eye’s rose from the field of blood to the students watching her. She looked at them, one at a time, making sure that she made eye contact with each student and held it until the student broke it. Tolani and Ricky were the only exceptions, but she couldn’t look down towards them, without completely destroying the cool, in-control, mask she currently had on.

She cleared her throat.

“From now on, there will be no more pack meetings.” She announced. “The only way the werewolves are allowed to be together is if all the warlocks are there too. No more running together as a pack. No more wolves hanging out in clusters. I don’t want to see more than two of you together, and if there are two wolves together there must be one warlock with you. At all times. Even when you’re in your hostel. If you can’t find a warlock chaperone, then stay by yourself. Don’t ever think ‘we’ll just meet quickly, Lami won’t know’, because I’ll know. I have eyes everywhere, I’ll know and when I’m done with you, even your parents won’t recognize you.”

After Lami was done speaking, she looked across at the people in front of her. None of them liked what she’d said. The idea of being forced into chaperoning werewolves didn’t seem to be appealing to the warlocks. Tough luck, Lami thought, they all had to step up. She knew that one warlock wouldn’t really be able to stop two werewolves doggedly determined to fight, but Lami planned on arming her warlocks with all the verbal ammunition they would need to keep the wolves in check. And if that didn’t work, the witches all had Yemi’s calling spell, and the augurs were bonded, so the news of the fight would spread faster, and she would be there, or... her gaze darted to Osezele still kneeling close to the back of the group.

“That’s not really a solution.” Lanky stated.

Lami’s focus snapped over to him. She eyed him, letting her eyes roll from the top of his head to his feet, in a rude dismissive manner. “Did I ask you a question?” she snapped the question at him.

Lanky inhaled deeply. “I’m your classmate, you can’t talk…”

“Did I ask you a question?” Lami repeated her previous question, interrupting him. Lanky stopped talking, but he frowned at her. Lami steeled herself and then she deliberately stared at the dead body on the ground and rose her eyes up to meet Lanky, as if reminding him of the events of that afternoon.

Lanky didn’t need a reminder. He would never forget. The image of Danny’s body would haunt him for the rest of his life. That was why he needed a solution. He needed something permanent. He understood what Lami was trying to do, but he knew it couldn’t last. “I know what I’ve done. Trust me, I know. But, how long do you think your solution will work?” Lanky asked.

Lami had been asking herself the same question. “It will work for as long as I say it will. If you really want to make sure this doesn’t happen again, then just do what betas are good at. Obey. Let me worry about everything else.”

Lanky turned his attention to Beedie. Lami had expected that too. Not even their guilt would make them obey a warlock over their alpha. Lanky’s turning prompted the rest of their classmates to turn. They waited to see what Beedie would do, what he would say. Beedie simply nodded. Lami had expected that. What Lami didn’t expect was the SS2 betas turning to Nosa and not Beedie. But that was what happened. It was as if there were two packs with two alphas. She hadn’t expected that and so she hadn’t bothered to take the time to intimidate anyone other than Beedie.

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 1:51am On Dec 24, 2018
Lami’s eyes met Nosa’s. Seconds passed as they stared at each other. Lami had no idea what was running through Nosa’s mind, but she remembered that he and Victor had been the only wolves trying to stop the fight. She knew that had to count for something even though she didn’t know why the magic hadn’t affected them.

Then Nosa nodded and Lami looked away as if his acquiescence was expected.

Lami stepped down from the podium and walked towards Beedie. She spoke underneath her breath all too aware of the fact that every wolf there could hear her. “I’ll leave the clean up to you. Don’t burn the body Beedie, his family deserves to know what happened to him.”

Beedie’s eyes widened. “We’ll go to the community.” He whispered back.

Lami stared at him for a bit, letting her eyes show how little she cared about his fears. She let the silence stretch out just long enough for Beedie to really get worried about the community. Then she spoke. “I know Danny’s parents, and I know that Danny’s gay. I’m sure you can come up with an excuse for why they’re son would get beaten to death in a Catholic school. The sad thing is, his parents won’t even care.”

Beedie wanted to ask how she knew. Lami could see the question form in his face and so she snapped out Nosa’s name and walked away before giving Beedie the opportunity to ask it. Lami knew she had to keep a certain air of mystery around Beedie if she wanted to keep him afraid enough to keep believing she really was the wielder she claimed to be.

Nosa’s response to her summoning was very different from Beedie’s. He’d simply followed her to the other side of the wall. He hadn’t made a point out of walking slowly to show his pack how offended he was by her tone. She called, he came. It was that simple.

Nosa stopped in front of her. He was not as unaffected by her summoning as she thought. He quirked an eyebrow at her. Lami found herself smiling at the gesture. Nosa smiled back.

“That was unexpected.” Lami stated.

“What was?”

“You stealing half of the pack from Beedie. No wonder he’s wound so tight.”

Nosa shrugged.

“Are we going to have a problem?” Lami asked him.

“Are you back for good?” Nosa asked in reply.

“What do you mean?”

“I can’t allow my wolves to rely on you if you’re not up to the job. I understand failing as a leader, because today I did. I mean, Danny was dead before I got there, but I came this close to killing your boyfriend the exact same way Beedie killed Elliot.”

“Beedie killed Elliot?” Lami was shocked. She’d assumed Elliot’s death was an accident, something the entire pack did, like today.

“It wasn’t his fault. I know that now.” Nosa stated. He looked at the banewhip and then the girl who held it. “Emeka used that thing on me enough for me to know that I can’t win against you. And the fact that he gave the banewhip to you makes me not even want to try. But I need to know that you’re back before I tell the SS2 wolves to obey you. Because if I tell them to, they’ll do it. Any order you give them would be as if it was coming from me, and if you make a mistake, I made a mistake. If you let them down, I will lose their trust. I didn’t ask for this…” Lami scoffed with disbelief. Nosa chuckled. “Yes, I wanted it, but I didn’t ask to be their alpha. I bowed to Beedie, I didn’t challenge him. The SS2 boys chose me all by themselves, but now that I have their trust, I won’t break it. So, are you back Lami? Have you found a way to deal with everything that happened to Moji? Can I trust that you are as put together as you appeared to be?”

Lami sighed. She couldn’t believe how much she’d missed. Had she really been away long enough for Nosa to grow into a pack alpha? He was so different from the boy she remembered. She’d never understood Victor’s fixation with him, but now, now seeing this version of him, seeing the potential that both Victor and Emeka saw, she finally understood. In that moment she wished he was the alpha of the pack. She smiled thinking about the conversation she’d had with Emeka the day he’d given her the banewhip. Oshoke had been there. They’d talked to her about two people, one she thought could lead but would make a bad leader, and the other she thought couldn’t lead at all. Now here was Nosa proving her wrong and Emeka and Oshoke right. Could Osezele do the same?

“I’m struggling.” Lami confessed. “All of this used to be more natural, but now I have doubts. I’m scared that every decision I make is the wrong one. But the school needs me and so I’m here. Let’s make a deal Nosa, if you tell your pack to trust me, I’ll do my best to be worthy of it. And if it gets to a point that I just can’t handle it anymore, I’ll let you know.” Lami stretched out her hand. “Deal?” she asked.

Nosa nodded. He took the hand and they shook on it. “Deal.” He replied.

He let go of her hand and began to walk away.

“Call your girlfriend for me.” Lami ordered, right as Nosa walked away.

Nosa spun around. “What do you want Binta for?” he asked confused.

Lami burst out laughing. “Some things never change. I guess when it comes to love, you’re still an idiot. How are you still with that girl?” Lami shook her head. She knew it was none of her business. “Osezele. That’s who I was talking about. Call Osezele for me.”

Nosa didn’t know how to react to Lami’s words. Was it crazy that he actually found it funny? He shook his head and turned around. He walked to the other side of the wall and did as he was bade.

Osezele came running.

“Who told you to stand up?” Lami yelled the question out as soon as she saw Osezele.

Osezele stopped. She knelt down and crawled towards Lami. Lami began moving. She jumped up the pavement and stood by the pillar in front of the classroom door. Osezele stopped crawling in front of the pavement.

“Lami please.” Osezele begged. “I can’t crawl up to the pavement.”

“Frog jump.” Lami replied.

Osezele was about to beg again, but then she stopped herself. Smiling she realized that Lami had actually done her a favour. Osezele crawled backwards and she shifted from her knees to a crouched squatting position. She pulled at her ears in the classical ‘frog-jump’ positioning and pushed herself off the floor. She used all her practice with jumping into the air. As soon as she was in the air she pushed upwards and forward until she felt the wind. Then she pushed downwards so she wouldn’t be launched in the air. The result was a stunningly high and completely unnatural frog-jump onto the pavement. Osezele went back to her knees once she landed and crawled into the class. She was smart enough to hide her smirk from Lami.

Lami smiled at the back of Osezele’s head. As soon as she walked into the classroom, she wiped the smile off her face. She closed the door behind her.

“Stand up.” Lami ordered.

“Thank you.” Osezele replied, getting up off her knees. She dusted off the dirt on her knees and then let her skirt drop back in place before facing Lami.

Lami gestured towards the front row of seats. Osezele sat down. Lami sat on the next row, facing her. “I need your help.” Lami stated.

Osezele was shocked. She didn’t know what she could possibly do to help Lami, but she was eager to try. She nodded.

“What else did your uncle tell you about the bijoutise magic? Did he know any specifics about it?”

Osezele shook her head. “No, he didn’t. He just said that it was what was affecting the wolves and that he was going to find a solution.”

“So, he’s coming back?” Lami’s voice was filled with hope. She hadn’t been expecting this. “Are you sure?”

Osezele nodded. “He’s uncle Oare’s brother.” As far as she was concerned that was all she needed to know to trust him.

“Can you find out when?” Lami asked. “We have phones in our room, so we can call him.”

“I don’t know his number.” Osezele replied.

“Do you think your uncle Oare knows?”

“He might.”

“Then ask him.”

Osezele came so close to nodding. Training with the elements was easy. All the marked knew she was a commune and a witch and so she didn’t have to hide it from anyone. She’d almost forgotten that there was a mark she did need to hide. “I don’t have his number either.” Osezele replied.

Lami scoffed. “No, but you’re bonded with him.”

What? Osezele’s head snapped up. “I’m not…” she saw the look on Lami’s face and chose to revise her statement. “How do you know?”

“Ngozi told Seyi, Seyi told Moji, and Moji told me. Don’t worry, I made sure they didn’t tell anyone else.”

Osezele sighed. “Thank you.” She said as she added Lami and Moji’s name to her mental list of all the people she had to worry about because they knew the truth.

“So, can you ask him?” Lami prompted.

Osezele nodded. She took a deep breath, and then exhaled slowly. Then she closed her eyes and went into her augur mark.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Osezele stood in the middle of a dark room. There was no furniture in the room, nothing but a single flickering light bulb dangling from the ceiling. Osezele swallowed nervously as she waited to see if her uncle would appear. The last time she’d seen him was in the bond with her aunty. She remembered that day. Remembered the young couple that aunty Odion had introduced as her grandparents. She remembered the lovely field. She also remembered the warning not to try to bond with her again.

Oare appeared in front of her.

Osezele ran over to hug him. She threw her arms around him and smiled when he wrapped his hands around her. Then he gently pushed her back. Osezele looked up at him and the smile in her face went away. He didn’t look happy.

“Is something wrong uncle Oare?” Osezele asked.

“I told you not to try bonding with me Osezele. I’m with your aunty in Seclusion. Bonding is dangerous for the both of us.”

Osezele nodded. “I’m sorry. I thought that if you couldn’t bond then you wouldn’t come.”

Oare’s face relaxed. “It’s not like making a phone call.” He admonished lightly. “You’re a very powerful augur Osezele. When you get into a bond with me, I can’t not come. Do you understand?”

Osezele nodded. She felt really bad. “I’m sorry uncle. It’s just that there’s quintise magic in my school and…”

“I know. I also know that you’ve met my brother and that he’s told you he’ll take care of it.”

Osezele wasn’t sure how to explain how urgent things were. She tried to frame the words appropriately and failed. And then she remembered one of the nice tricks about bonding. She remembered that she could share the memory with him. So she did. She pulled out the memory of the wolves fighting, and the fight appeared in front of them as if it was happening in the middle of that dark room. Osezele kept thinking about it, going through the memory up to Lami’s appearance and the body they found once she’d stopped the fight.

Oare sighed.

He held onto Osezele’s shoulder and shook her gently. The force of that shaking tore Osezele’s attention from her memory and the image of the dead body went away.

Osezele’s eyes filled with tears. She realized that she was in pain. She could actually feel her pain. She could feel the pain of not knowing what to do. The fear of watching and praying that the boy she loved didn’t get killed. The tears slipped from her eyes and she cried, weeping desolately from the full force of her emotions. Uncle Oare pulled her into his arms, and she just kept crying. Standing there, weeping in her uncle’s embrace, Osezele realized how much she’d missed this. Not the crying, but the emotions. She didn’t miss having the commune mark, didn’t miss being out of control, or being timid because she was too afraid to speak, she just missed feeling.

She wiped at her eyes and pulled away. “I’m sorry.” She apologized.

Oare shook his head. “You have every right to be afraid.” He stated consolingly. “But you can trust Ehi. He may be a little hard to talk to at first, but he is my brother. He will always have your best interest at heart. And you don’t have to worry about the quintise magic. Ehi has a solution. He will be back by your visiting day.”

Osezele sniffed. Visiting day. She thought. “That’s only one week from now!” she exhaled, in relief, thinking that with Lami back, they could manage for one more week. Oare smiled.

Osezele could sense her uncle’s unease. She didn’t fully understand what Seclusion was, but she knew he was afraid. But there was one more thing they needed. “Uncle, have you heard anything about Moji?”

Oare frowned. “Didn’t Ehi tell you?” he asked. Osezele shook her head. “Well Moji is fine. She’s no longer a medium. He’ll be bringing her back with him on visiting day. Tell Lami that she doesn’t have to worry about the truancy. Her mother took care of it.”

“What truancy?” Osezele asked, confused.

Oare chuckled. “Lami will know. I feel just a little bit safer knowing that there is a wielder in your school, especially at a time like this, with the werewolves so out of control.”

“What is a wielder?” Osezele’s confusion only grew.

Oare winked at her. “I’ve missed our lessons, but I really need to go. You have to promise you won’t try to bond with me again. It is too dangerous for all of us.”

Osezele nodded gravely. She blinked and Oare was gone.

Osezele stared blankly at the open space in front of her.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Osezele came out of her mark feeling a little bit disoriented. She blinked a little dazedly at Lami, given her mind time to readjust. Countless questions flooded her thoughts, questions about the many things uncle Oare had said before he left. And thanks to Seclusion, which she still didn’t fully understand, she couldn’t find out more. Truancy and wielder. Truancy, especially in conjunction to Moji being out of school, she could guess at. But why would Lami be worried about that? Was that why Lami had seemed so depressed? Truancy? And what was a wielder? A wielder of what? He said he was happy that there was a wielder in their school, so it couldn’t be bad right?

Lami cleared her throat. “Well?” she asked impatiently.

“Visiting day.” Osezele replied. “Uncle Oare said that uncle Ehi will help us, and that he will be back on visiting day.” Osezele swallowed.

Lami smiled. “Thank God!” she exclaimed. What was one more week? She could do that, she thought. “Thank you.” She added smiling at Osezele.

“Uncle Oare also said that Moji is fine. He said she’s coming back with uncle Ehi on visiting day.”

Lami screamed. Tears welled up in her eyes. She pulled Osezele into her arms and hugged her tightly.

“He also said to tell you not to worry about the truancy, that your mother took care of it.” Osezele added, within the tight circle of Lami’s arms.

In Lami’s relief she squeezed Osezele even tighter. “Thank you!” she screamed letting go of her. “Thank you so much!” Lami took a step back and ran out of the class, her banewhip in one hand and her other hand over her mouth.

Lami was gone before Osezele could ask about truancy or wielders.

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by tunjilomo(m): 3:35pm On Dec 24, 2018
Umm. Nice.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by GeoSilYe(f): 5:23pm On Dec 24, 2018
But Lami according to her conversation with Victor, verified that she isn't a wielder.

So who is?
Or am I getting it wrong?
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 7:05pm On Dec 24, 2018
GeoSilYe:
But Lami according to her conversation with Victor, verified that she isn't a wielder.

So who is?
Or am I getting it wrong?
You aren't getting it wrong. I'm thinking that there is another Wielder in the school. Maybe not Lami, it could be any of the boys. I don't know for sure sha.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 7:07pm On Dec 24, 2018
These updates are the best! I'm so sorry for being away these few days, I've been very busy. Thank you, Lami, you are awesome but Osezele is awesomely out of this world. She is frigging heaven!
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by GeoSilYe(f): 10:08pm On Dec 24, 2018
OluwabuqqyYOLO:

You aren't getting it wrong. I'm thinking that there is another Wielder in the school. Maybe not Lami, it could be any of the boys. I don't know for sure sha.

Wow
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by spixytinxy(f): 11:08pm On Dec 24, 2018
Did is getting interesting, pls d next chapter should still b on saint Luke. Bikonu
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by monalicious(f): 4:47pm On Dec 25, 2018
I actually think the wielder is lami. She probably has a way of hiding the mark, because the way she scared Beedie was just too real. Her denying that she's a wielder is probably the truancy that was mentioned
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 1:23am On Dec 26, 2018
Merry Christmas everyone!!!

I hope you all had a great day grin.

Thanks @tunjilomo

@GeoSilYe you are right. Lami did say that she isn't a wielder, so now the question is who is? cheesy

@OluwabuqqyYOLO thank you!!! Yeah, I understand this period is very busy. Lami has been down for so long, I almost forgot about how much I like her, but now that she's back I'm remembering. More and more Lami coming up. Of course Osezele is constant

@spixytinxy thank you. A lot more is definitely happening now, although the next chapter slows down a bit, at least I think so. But yeah, the next chapter is still in St. Luke's. In fact the next four chapters are all in St. Luke's. Then we go back to the community, and things are picking up there too.

@monalicious Hmmm...well, I won't say anything right now. I guess we'll have to wait and see smiley The truancy is going to be explained in the next chapter. And then we'll have to wait a bit to see who the wielder is.

Thanks everyone for the continuing interest!!!

Have a great boxing day

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (23) (Reply)

"I Named My Granddaughter Chimamanda" Spanish Fan Tells Chimamanda Adichie / A Christmas Party / Virgins Magazine Is The Best Romantic Magazine In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 677
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.