₦airaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,164,096 members, 4,715,370 topics. Date: Thursday, 24 January 2019 at 07:56 AM

The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book - Literature (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book (16452 Views)

TÉLLÀ ( A Paranormal Story) / Grabbing The Hot Gate ( A Paranormal Novel) By Akintayo Akinjide / The Marked 2: White Sight. A Nigerian Fantastical Fiction Book. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 9:43am On Dec 26, 2018
wow, wielders, just like werewolf hunters. Can't wait for next update.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by monalicious(f): 7:52am On Dec 27, 2018
Merry Christmas to the great writer obehid and everyone following this story. May God keep us all to see the new year in joy unspeakable in Jesus name. Amen.

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 12:32am On Dec 28, 2018
@Peaceyw yeap, definitely inspired by werewolf hunters! Hope you enjoy this cheesy

@monalicious Amen and thank you!!! Merry Christmas to you too
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 12:46am On Dec 28, 2018
Chapter Thirty-one
----------------------------------------------------
St. Luke’s, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria

The school block was empty. Nosa climbed onto the raised platform which led to the senior classrooms. It was the middle of the day on Sunday, so he wasn’t surprised that the classrooms were deserted. Most of the students were in their hostels, resting after their lunch of jollof rice and deep-fried turkey. The entire meal had passed by in a haze. Nosa had been too busy looking for Ricky to enjoy what was usually his favorite meal of the week. After the events of the previous day, Nosa wasn’t surprised that Ricky had gone AWOL, but he couldn’t help being worried. First when Ricky hadn’t shown up in the chapel for mass, then when he wasn’t in the refectory for breakfast or in their hostel afterwards. Nosa knew that the Sunday afternoon meal was one of the few Ricky enjoyed, so he’d at least expected him to show up for that. But when the lunch went by and there was still no sign of Ricky, Nosa’s concern heightened.

He walked through his classroom to the other side of the school block. Nosa looked around and sighed when he found it empty. Nosa was running out of ideas. On a whim he jumped down the pavement and walked towards the protrusion in the wall, separating the classrooms from the labs. Nosa kept walking, passed the tap, to the other side of the school block.

Nosa stopped.

Ricky was sitting on the pavement, only a few feet away from where Danny died. He had his arms resting on his legs and his head bent over. Nosa walked slowly towards him. He sat down by Ricky.

“Hey.” Nosa said.

Ricky turned sharply. His head rose up and his eyes met Nosa. For a moment it was as if Ricky couldn’t recognize him, as if in his grief he’d been buried so far down in his own subconscious that Nosa’s presence didn’t register. And then the recognition came. Ricky didn’t respond, he just turned away and took his attention back to staring at the grass.

“You missed a good meal.” Nosa stated, hoping small talk could pull Ricky out of his own head. “I mean, I think it was good. I missed it too. I was too busy worrying about you to actually taste the food I put in my mouth.” He chuckled lightly.

No response.

Nosa sighed. “I’m sorry Ricky.” He stated. “I’m so sorry about Danny. I know it’s not the same, but I went through something similar when Elliot died.” Nosa exhaled slowly. “I’m still going through it. I just had to focus on something else, I had to focus on how much the pack needed me…”

“Don’t talk to me about the pack!” Ricky yelled.

Nosa pulled back, shocked by Ricky’s caustic response. He had Ricky’s full attention now. The boy was staring daggers at him. “I know it’s hard to understand, but it’s not the pack’s fault. It’s the quintise magic.”

Ricky’s bottom lip trembled. He sniffed back tears. “It wasn’t the quintise magic. It wasn’t the quintise magic that pushed Danny to the floor. It wasn’t the quintise magic that started that fight. It was hate, pure and simple. Lanky’s hate, Beedie’s hate, your entire pack’s hate. That’s what killed Danny. It wasn’t magic. It was people.” Ricky wiped at the tears running down his face. He turned away from Nosa, just as his restraint snapped and the tears came rushing out with more force. His shoulders shook as he wept into his hands. “He was killed for loving me.” Ricky whispered.

Nosa put his hand on Ricky’s shoulder and pulled him back around. Ricky knocked Nosa’s hand off. Nosa was resilient. He rose his hand back to Ricky’s shoulder, pulling him towards him.

“Leave me alone!” Ricky screamed. He shoved Nosa, pushing him back so forcefully that Nosa’s back slammed against the back of a pillar behind him.

Nosa stood up. He walked back towards Ricky and made another attempt to comfort him. Again, Ricky slapped Nosa’s hand away. Then he stood up and punched Nosa in the face. The blow was so unexpected, Nosa hadn’t anticipated it, and so it caught him square in the nose.

Nosa snapped his nose back in place and wiped at the blood seeping down his face. A wave of anger rose in him, so strong and stirring he could feel himself start to lose control. Nosa pushed the anger back down hard, giving the scarlet diadem time to balance it out. The only good thing that had come out of the fight the day before was his mental control. Nosa had had to learn how to control himself, to work with the scarlet diadem and keep himself from joining the fight. It had been a hard lesson to learn, but he’d mastered it and used it to keep the wolves from killing themselves before Lami came.

Nosa saw Ricky’s fist flying towards him again, but this time he was ready. He caught Ricky’s hand and pulled the boy closer.

Nosa hugged him.

Ricky lashed around trying to fight off Nosa’s hold, trying to push him away, but Nosa was stronger.

Ricky gave up the fight and accepted the comfort Nosa offered. He wept onto Nosa’s shoulder, and Nosa let him.

“What am I going to do?” Ricky asked. “What am I going to do? I can’t live without him.”

Nosa just held onto Ricky. “It’ll be okay.” He said. “I promise. I didn’t know Danny that well, but I have to believe he wouldn’t want this for you. You have to find a way. It’ll be hard, but you have to find a way.”

“No.” Ricky shook his head. “I have to do something.” He pulled back, out of Nosa’s embrace. Nosa let him go. Ricky looked at the ground and then back up at Nosa. “I have to do something.” He said again. “They’ll get away with it Nosa. If I don’t do anything, they’ll get away with it. Somebody has to avenge him. He was so sweet and so innocent. He didn’t deserve to die like that. He didn’t deserve it. I have to do something.”

“No.” Nosa stated gently, but firmly. “You’ll only make things worse.”

“Things are already worse. Bleep, Nosa, his parents…his parents…” Ricky broke off. He looked away from Nosa and wiped furiously at his eyes.

“What about his parents?” Nosa asked.

Ricky sniffed. He moved his lips around as if he was forcefully trying to get himself to stop crying. “His parents are…when they came yesterday, when Beedie told them that their son was dead…Beedie said that some kids wrote ‘GO TO HELL gay’ on the wall, by his body and Danny’s dad just cut Beedie off. He didn’t even listen to the rest of it, he just looked at Ms. Flowers and said Danny wasn’t his son anymore. I mean, what the Bleep? He disowned his dead son. What kind of parent does that? He didn’t even look at the body, he just walked away with Ms. Flowers and Danny’s mum. All he had to do was look at the body. One look and he would have known that Beedie was full of poo, but he didn’t even care enough to look. Ms. Flowers came back and told us not to tell anyone, that Danny’s parents did want anyone to know what happened to him. They just left. Then Beedie burned the body. He wouldn’t even let me bury him. At the very least Danny deserved a burial. I tried to fight, tried to get the body back and that girl hit me with that whip thing. I was forced to watch as they burned Danny’s body and stepped on his ashes. Like he was dirt, like he didn’t even deserve to be remembered. But he didn’t deserve that. He deserved so much more. He was going to be a poet. He would have changed the world. But now he’s gone, and there’s not even a mark to remember him by.”

Nosa wasn’t sure he could say anything to help, so he went with a very lame, “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry.” Ricky yelled. “I don’t need you to be sorry. I need you to help me avenge him. I need you to have my back.”

Nosa knew he had to reach Ricky, he knew he had to get through to him, but he couldn’t think of any way to do it. At that moment he wished he could trade places with his best friend. Victor would know what to say. It was Victor who’d been able to pull him out from his grief after Elliot died. It was Victor who’d given him a new purpose. Nosa tried to channel Victor and failed. What would Victor do? He asked himself.

The answer came in the single lesson Victor had been trying to teach him. The one thing Victor always said, to put himself in Beedie’s shoes. “What happened?” Nosa asked.

Ricky frowned at him. “I just told you. Danny’s parents just left, and Ms. Flowers let Beedie take care of the body. She didn’t want to look at it.”

“Not that. What happened during the fight? How did Danny die?” Nosa knew it was a gamble, he knew the can of worms he was opening, but the alternative was so much worse. He couldn’t let Ricky leave there hell-bent on revenge, because if he did, the fight from yesterday would probably be repeated, despite Lami’s best efforts to the contrary. This time, Ricky would be the one dead. Nosa refused to let that happen.

“I don’t remember.” Ricky replied. He sounded shocked, as if he hadn’t stopped to think about it. “I…I…” Ricky cleared his throat. “Lanky pulled Danny to the floor and yelled at him. I was trying to defend Danny and so I rushed towards Lanky, but his friends held me back. He spat at me, they beat me, and then…” Ricky broke off.

“And then?” Nosa prompted, hating himself a little with each word.

Ricky’s brows pulled together in a severe frown as he tried to pull the memory out of his head. “I don’t remember. It’s like I blacked out or something. The next thing I remember was lying on the floor and feeling numb as if I’d been poisoned. And then I saw Danny’s body.” Ricky shook his head. He was in a frenzy. He passed his fingers through his hair and then turned desperate eyes towards Nosa. “Oh God, do you think I killed him? Did I do it, was it all my fault? Why don’t I remember?”

Nosa took a deep breath. He’d known Ricky would reach that conclusion, that was why hadn’t wanted to ask. Ricky had probably not even stopped to think about it. He’d seen Danny’s body on the floor and just drawn his own conclusions. Nosa knew it was possible to remember, he knew because while he’d been tearing the fighting wolves apart, he’d forced himself to remember every single thing he’d done to Victor. It was the memory that had helped him strengthen his mental control. He didn’t share that with Ricky though. “It was the quintise magic.” Nosa stated again. This time, he knew Ricky was ready to hear it.

Ricky shook his head. “I can’t accept that. I can’t kill magic, I can’t take Danny’s vengeance on magic.”

“No, you can’t.” Nosa stated. “But you can take it on the people who made the magic.”

Nosa recognized the hope that came to life in Ricky’s eyes. “Who did it? Just tell me…”

“We don’t know yet, but when we find out, they’ll pay for what they’ve done, for the innocent lives they’ve taken. I swear.”

Ricky believed him. “Can you tell me how the quintise magic works?”

Nosa exhaled. He knew the worst was over now. He could see Ricky’s anger recede. It wouldn’t go away, Nosa knew that because his anger hadn’t gone away, and he didn’t want it to. No, the anger was just suppressed, waiting, growing in force until it was unleashed on the right target. “We don’t know how it works, we just know that it feeds off us, off werewolves’ anger at each other.”

“Then why don’t we just leave?”

“What?”

“Why don’t we just leave? If all of this is happening because of werewolves annoying each other, then why don’t we just leave the school. The magic is in the school right?”

“It doesn’t work like that. It’s quintise magic, it’s like a disease, once you’re infected, you’re infected. Even if you leave the school, the next time you see a werewolf, even one whose mark hasn’t come out yet, you’ll lose control and snap.”

“That’s only IF you see another werewolf outside the school. What are the chances of that?”

“They’re high.” Nosa stated. “And that’s if you decide to leave school. I don’t know how things are in America, but here, there’s truancy.”

“Are you kidding me?” Ricky scoffed. “Truancy is a joke.”

“In America.” Nosa added for him. “Here, the community is very strict about unmarked living outside the community. They did some search and found out that over ninety nine percent of marked found by the community, attended day schools or what they call lower-strike-boarding schools, which are just schools that are not very strict with keeping students in school. Since that search, all day schools and lower-strike-boarding schools are required to have all new students cleared by the community before admission. Higher-strike-boarding schools like St. Luke’s don’t have the community clearance for new students, but in exchange they have stricter truancy rules. If a student is found missing from school, the school administration is required by law to report it to the community. So, if we were stupid enough to leave the school infected with quintise magic, the community will come after us because of the truancy laws.”

Ricky sighed. “So, we’re screwed. We’re just going to keep provoking each other, and killing people?”

Nosa shook his head. “Not if we listen to Lami.” He stated with a lot more confidence than he felt. He’d told his SS2 betas the same thing. He’d made Lami into the solution. It was perfect because Lami was untainted by any of the previous killings. He told his betas to trust Lami and he was telling Ricky that now too.

Ricky recoiled at the sound of her name. “You mean the bitch who whipped me and kept me from burying Danny?”

“She kept you from starting a fight with Beedie.” Nosa stated. “And if you’re smart, you’ll never call Lami a bitch again. If there’s any student in this school you should be afraid of, it’s Lami.”

Ricky frowned. “You’re afraid of a girl?” he asked with disbelief.

Nosa had to exert a lot of will power to keep his face straight as he lied, “yes. Lami is more than just a girl. Don’t test her.”

“She does have an interesting way of making werewolves fall around her.” Ricky acquiesced.

Nosa nodded gravely. He couldn’t wait to share this conversation with Victor. Nosa’s mirth quickly faded as he watched Ricky’s melancholy return.

“Come.” Nosa ordered, as he walked towards the stone pavement they’d been sitting on. He knelt in front of that pavement and went partially into his mark. His eyes turned gold and his claws came out. Then he stuck the claw of his fore finger into the solid pavement and carved out a sign which read:

DANNY WAS HERE.

Nosa came out of his mark and turned to face Ricky. Ricky’s eyes filled with tears.

“Now Danny is immortalized.” Nosa said. “As long as St. Luke’s stands, Danny lives on.”

Ricky wiped away the tears in his eyes. “And when we find the people responsible for this, we will avenge him?” he asked.

Nosa nodded. “We will avenge them all.”

Ricky smiled. The tears were gone. “Thank you Nosa.”

Nosa smiled back. “You’re welcome.”

The boys didn’t have the chance to revel in the moment, because just as Ricky pushed all his thoughts of killing Beedie and Lanky and the entire pack aside, Lami walked into the back of the school block and saw the two of them together.

Without a warlock chaperone.

“I must be hallucinating!” Lami yelled out. “I know I’m not seeing two wolves together like this.”

“Oh no.” Nosa groaned under his breath.

At that same moment, Tolani and Osezele approached the duo from the other side. Like Nosa, Tolani had been worried about Ricky. She’d gone looking for Ricky, and Osezele had insisted on coming along. They both stopped by the protrusion in the wall, desperate to stay as far away from Lami’s anger as possible.

Nosa and Ricky stood as Lami made her way towards them. She stopped in front of the boys and put her hands on her waist. Lami disregarded the SS1 boy. She chose instead to focus all of her attention on Nosa.

“Well? What’s your excuse?” she asked.

Nosa shook his head. He held Lami’s gaze for a second and then his eyes moved down till he was staring at the ground. His lips twitched as he apologized. “No excuse.” Nosa said. “I’m sorry it won’t happen again.”

“Nosa, are you mad?” Lami asked. She didn’t wait for him to finish. “You better have a good excuse for disobeying me, and you’d better start shouting it out right now. Don’t try me.”

Nosa gulped. He rose his eyes back up to meet and hold Lami’s gaze. “Please.” He begged, deciding appealing to Lami was better than discussing Ricky’s grief. When he didn’t see any compassion in Lami’s eyes, he looked away. “Can’t you just trust that I wouldn’t do anything to risk anyone else’s life?”

“Who does this one think he’s talking to?” Lami asked the question out loud as she took a step towards Nosa.

Ricky jumped forward, blocking Lami’s path. “He said he’s sorry.” He stated.

“Eh!” Lami gasped. “Look at this oyinbo boy oh.” She shouted out in shock. She turned her gaze to Ricky and glared at him. “Was I talking to you?” she asked.

Ricky remembered Nosa’s warning to respect Lami and so he swallowed down his retort and shook his head.

“Then you’d better keep your mouth shut, because if this my hand should touch your face, you will learn the history of Nigerian slap. My friend, will you get out of my sight!” Lami snapped.

Ricky pulled back and frowned.

“Go.” Nosa ordered.

Ricky looked between the both of them, and then he shrugged. He turned around, put his hand over the side of the pavement with Danny’s name written on it, and then he walked away. He went in the opposite direction and so he only got as far as the protrusion before Tolani stopped him by pulling him towards them.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 12:47am On Dec 28, 2018
Lami crossed her hands over her chest and eyed Nosa. Nosa kept his gaze on the ground as he listened to the gentle pounding of Lami’s heart, trying to gauge how angry she was. The longer she remained silent the more worried he got. He felt bad about breaking her rules only a day after she’d made them, especially after she’d taken the time to talk to him personally and he’d promised to keep his betas in line.

Lami sighed. She lowered her voice so that the SS1 students wouldn’t hear her, though she knew Ricky would if he chose to listen. “Do you think that I can’t punish you?” she asked lightly.

Nosa shook his head. He didn’t raise his eyes to meet hers.

“Then you’d better start talking. Give me a good reason why you disobeyed me, or I’ll make an example out of you.”

Nosa exhaled. He rose his head to meet Lami’s gaze and then he took a step closer to her. “Ricky needed me Lami.” He whispered. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to disobey you.”

Lami held that gaze for a few more seconds, searching Nosa’s eyes for the truth, and then she nodded. She tilted her head to the side in a ‘go’ gesture.

Nosa exhaled. “Thank you.” He said, and then he turned around and made to leave the same way Ricky had. By the time he saw Osezele standing there with Ricky and Tolani, it was already too late. As painful as he thought walking by her and having her ignore him would be, turning around and walking away would be worse.

Nosa steeled himself for rejection as he walked by the trio. And just because he was a glutton for punishment, he stopped when he got to them and said, “Hey.” To Osezele. There was a brief pause, a moment when her facial features seemed to tighten with pain, and then she smiled, and his heart skipped a beat. “Hey.” She replied.

Nosa’s lips parted as he opened his mouth to speak. He had no idea what he was about to say, but he knew he couldn’t let the moment go to waste.

“Osezele Omorodion. Come here.” Lami yelled out.

The moment was gone. Osezele cringed when she heard Lami call her name and then she waved him goodbye and left him standing there, staring after her, and wondering why he felt as if he’d just been hit by a truck. Nosa pulled himself together and continued walking.

Osezele ran towards Lami. “Yes Lami.” She said as soon as she was standing in front of her. Osezele had been dreading this moment. She’d been afraid, and had her fears washed away. Been generally anxious and had that go away too. But over the last twenty-four hours, whenever she heard anyone mention Lami’s name, she’d known that the moment of reckoning was coming. She’d been unforgivably rude to Lami, and Lami had to make her pay. Osezele had tortured herself for a bit, trying to mentally prepare herself for the punishment that Lami would give. She didn’t feel ready.

“I’ve been meaning to ask you a question since yesterday.” Lami stated.

“I’m sorry…” Osezele began to apologize.

“Shhh, johr.” Lami said, cutting her off. “You came here yesterday,” Lami began and Osezele nodded nervously. Lami almost smiled at the girl’s unease. “and you saw the wolves fighting. What did you do about it?”

Osezele frowned. “I came to call you.” She replied.

“What did YOU try?” Lami asked again, stressing the ‘you’.

Osezele’s confusion grew. “I came to call you Lami.”

“Osezele.” Lami called her name warningly.

Osezele cleared her throat. “Other than calling you, nothing.” She replied.

“Why?” asked Lami.

“What else could I have done?” Osezele replied.

“Did you ask yourself that?” Lami countered with a question of her own.

Osezele sighed. “Lami, I’m sorry for the way I spoke to you…”

“Shut up.” Lami drew the words out, making them sound like a song. “Do you know how many SS3 marked students there are in this school?” Lami asked rhetorically. “None of them came to call me. None of them told me how bad things had gotten. Not even my boyfriend. Not Ngozi, not Chiamaka, not Beedie, not Lanky, no one. None of my classmates, no one in SS2, even Tolani who I thought was the bravest SS1 student in this school was too afraid to talk to me. Only you Osezele. You are the only one who was brave enough and who respected me enough to come to me. So, stop apologizing. Answer my question. Did you think of what you personally could have done?”

Osezele was so relieved by Lami’s words that she rushed to answer her question. “No.” she replied. “What could I have done? All I have is the wind.” Osezele stood for a while and thought to herself. “Maybe I could have run through them really quickly and pushed them apart. But they’re my seniors Lami. It wouldn’t be my place. You were the obvious solution.”

Lami smiled at Osezele. “You don’t even know how powerful you are. I had been wallowing in self-pity and depression until you came to my corner and snapped out my name. When you called my name, it was as if you reached into me and pulled me back out. Osezele, you don’t have a place. We got lucky yesterday. Lucky that Nosa and Victor were able to hold the wolves back for a while. Lucky that Emeka left the banewhip to me. Lucky that the cane turned into a whip when I needed it to. And lucky that my mother trained me to fight with whips. But you are too powerful to rely on luck. What if I hadn’t gotten there in time and the wolves killed themselves and the people around them?”

Osezele could see Lami’s point. “I didn’t think about that. But even if I did Lami, I don’t think I would have gone in, it’s not my…I’m not supposed to.”

“Who says what you’re supposed to do? When you came into my corner and you tried to get me to help, I saw something in you that I’ve never seen before. Do you know what that is?”

“A fool?” Osezele asked only a little jokingly.

Lami giggled. “A leader.” She replied. “There’s a leader somewhere in there. Oshoke saw it, but she left before she could pull it out. Now it’s my job.” Lami stated determinedly.

Osezele saw the look in Lami’s eyes and gulped nervously. She wasn’t sure she liked the sound of that.

“We’ll start with this.” Lami said. She reached into her hidden pocket and pulled out the sheathed dagger. Then she handed it over to Osezele.

Osezele’s eyes widened, but she took it.

“You have the wind.” Lami stated. “Hold onto that for the next week. It has varmint poison on it, like the banewhip, it can bring wolves down. If there’s another fight between the wolves, stab them with that knife. Make sure you stab their arms or their legs. There are trigger points around the rest of their body which could be fatal, if you accidentally hit them.”

Shaking her head, Osezele stretched her hand out to give the knife back to Lami. “Lami I can’t.”

“Why?”

“Because they are my se…”

“If you say it’s because they’re your seniors, I will slap you.” Lami warned. Osezele’s mouth closed. Lami’s face turned serious. “Why can’t you?”

Osezele pulled the knife back. What was she so afraid of? She wondered. A memory rose in her mind of Beedie flogging her with wires because she’d mistakenly hurt him when she couldn’t control the emotions she’d absorbed. Did she want to go through that again with all the SS3 and 2 wolves? The answer was no. But then she remembered the fight from the day before and Danny’s body when it was all over. Danny was dead because the wolves couldn’t control themselves, because there was magic around the school keeping them from controlling themselves. Osezele could still remember the conversation she’d had with him. He’d seemed so lost. What if she could have prevented his death? What if she’d gotten there just a little bit earlier, before the fighting started, and she’d had this blade? She could have saved Danny. She looked at the dagger and drew off the sheath. It seemed to glint in the sunlight.

Osezele’s head rose. She met Lami’s gaze and replied, “I can.”

“Good girl.” Lami praised. “Come to my hostel before evening food, and I’ll teach you how to sew hidden pockets into your uniform so that you can carry it around easily.” Osezele nodded. “We’ll make a leader out of you Osezele Omorodion.” Lami promised as she walked away.

Osezele couldn’t see herself as a leader. She walked back towards Tolani and Ricky as she tried to imagine herself as a leader of the St. Luke’s marked. Like Lami. She shook her head. It was too implausible, too unimaginable to think that she could go from Osezele the class mute to Osezele the leader that people turned to in dire situations. She shook her head. No, she wasn’t that girl.

Osezele was so preoccupied by her thoughts that she was distracted as she told Tolani about going back to their class to put the dagger in her bag. The last thing she wanted was to lose the thing before she got back. She was too distracted to catch the look on Tolani’s face. She just took off, running with the wind to their classroom.

Ricky wasn’t so distracted.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, as they walked towards the pavement on the other side of the protrusion, in front of the SS2 classrooms. They walked all the way through a class, to the other side of the pavement before Tolani answered.

“Nothing.” She lied.

Ricky held her upper arm, stopping her. “There’s something wrong. Talk.”

Tolani bit her bottom lip. She felt angry, sad, indignant and guilty, all at the same time. “I saw the look on Lami’s face, heard what she said. She’s going to groom Osezele for the head girl position. She’s going to tell Aishat to hand over to her.”

“So?” Ricky asked.

“It’s mine!” Tolani yelled. “I’m the smartest in our class. I’m social and I’m a disciplinarian. Junior students see me, and they shudder. I was made for that post.”

“Oh. You’re jealous.” Ricky stated.

“I’m not jealous.” Tolani lied. “It’s just so unfair. I love Osezele, and since she found out about her marks, I’ve been helping her. But this post was mine. I’ve been working for it since I started at St. Luke’s. I’m supposed to be the one Lami grooms. Now that Lami has seen leadership potential in Osezele, she’s going to groom her. All because she’s marked. It’s not fair. I’ve worked for this, but it’ll just go to her, without her even trying.”

“Sounds like jealousy.”

“I know.” Tolani snapped. “And I hate myself for feeling like this. This isn’t me. I’m not this person, I’m bigger than this. Still, I can’t help feeling this way. She has the marks. I was supposed to have this.”

“What are you going to do about it?”

Tolani glared at Ricky and stormed off. Ricky ran after her. Leaving behind a startled Osezele, shaken by everything she’d overheard.

Nosa jumped down the roof and landed on the green fields in front of the pavement. He rose to his feet and climbed onto the pavement with Osezele. He’d been on his way back to the hostels when he’d convinced himself to turn around and check on Ricky to make sure the boy was okay. At least, that was the excuse he gave himself for coming back. Then he’d seen Osezele standing behind them as Tolani and Ricky talked. He was going to ask how much of the conversation she’d heard, but he could see it all in the look on her face.

“Are you okay?” he asked instead.

Osezele shook her head. She held onto the memory of Tolani’s words, to the raw emotions she’d heard in them. Tolani had sounded like she hated her. She held onto that feeling, replaying the memory so that her emotions of pain couldn’t get washed away. “I don’t even want to be head girl.” Osezele stated. Her voice was raw with emotions.

Nosa touched Osezele’s upper arm and the bolt of electricity she felt from that contact knocked the memory of Tolani’s words right out of her head, and the pain they’d wrought along with it.

Nosa felt it too. He knew he should take his hand away, but he couldn’t, he couldn’t make his fingers let go of her. Their eyes met, and they couldn’t look away. Nosa smiled. “You know, this avoiding you thing isn’t working for me.” He stated.

Osezele smiled back. “It’s not working for me too.”

“So let’s stop.”

“Stop?”

“Stop avoiding each other. We can be friends, can’t we?” asked Nosa. Even as the words left his mouth, he regretted them. He knew it wasn’t fair to ask it of her, knew that they could never just be friends. But the alternative, not having her in his life at all, it seemed so much worse. He was being selfish, he knew it, but he couldn’t help how badly he needed her.

Standing right there, with Nosa’s hand on her arm, and staring into his eyes, Osezele would have agreed to anything. She nodded slowly.

Nosa’s smile widened. It felt as if there were bugs crawling up his stomach. She said yes! He couldn’t believe it. “Friends don’t avoid each other.” He remarked.

Osezele agreed. “Friends talk to each other.”

“Friends walk together.”

“Friends make each other happy.”

“We’ll make great friends!’ he exclaimed.

Osezele nodded.

Nosa let go of her arm, and Osezele felt it in her heart. With his arm gone, the spell was partially broken, broken enough for Osezele to think, to remember what he’d done to her, how he’d broken her heart. She couldn’t be friends with him. It would kill her! And then she thought of how much she missed him, missed hearing his voice, missed seeing the smile he was currently giving to her. Friends, she agreed in her head. Just friends. If she couldn’t have him as her boyfriend, she could have him as her boy friend.

Nosa stretched out his hand to seal the deal of their friendship with a handshake.

Osezele giggled. She put her hand in his and the electricity came back.

“Friends.” They both said at the same time.

Again, their eyes met, and again neither of them could break the gaze.

“Nosa!” Binta’s voice sounded from the junior block on the other side of the field. “I’ve been looking for you.”

The spell was broken. Osezele drew her hand back and looked away. She felt dirty, she told herself that they hadn’t been doing anything wrong, but she couldn’t fight the feeling. Binta only made it worse when she stopped in front of them and looped her arm in Nosa’s.

“What’s going on here?” she asked accusingly.

Osezele felt the pain in her heart again. Looking at the both of them took her back to the first time she’d seen them making out, and to the day Nosa had told her to wait for him and she’d waited under the pouring rain for a boy who’d never come back. And now she’d agreed to be friends with him. Why? She’d had a good thing going before. She’d numbed herself to him, stopped thinking about him, or at least tried to, pretended not to see him when they walked by each other, until he walked pass and she turned around to sneak a peek. She was hopelessly in love with a boy who was in love with someone else and she’d just agreed to be his friend. What was wrong with her? She asked herself the question even as she waited to hear his response to his girlfriend’s question. She knew he would lie, say something like they’d just run into each other, or that Osezele was just leaving, whatever it was guys said when they were caught cheating. The dirty feeling came back. They hadn’t done anything, but it felt like they’d done everything. Osezele realized the only thing worse than feeling like she did, was worrying that Nosa didn’t feel the same way. She was really starting to lose her mind. Osezele knew she had to leave.

“I was talking to my friend.” Nosa replied unapologetically.

Binta gasped in outrage, Osezele gasped in shock. Neither of them had been expecting that. Osezele’s eyes locked with Nosa’s. He smiled sadly at her. There was something in that smile, something that she couldn’t place. She tried to study it, try to decipher it, as if it could tell her if he loved her, and if he did, why he’d chosen Binta over her.

Binta didn’t give her the chance. She whispered something into Nosa’s ears, and Nosa looked worried. His full attention turned to Binta.

“Bye.” Osezele called out as they walked away, the picture of a happy couple.

Nosa didn’t turn around.

Binta did. She smirked.

Again, the pain came back. This time she didn’t try to hold onto it. She looked around for anything to distract her, anything to take her mind off Nosa.

She found it.

Fatima and Oluchi walked by her.

Osezele turned around, not the least perturbed by the way they’d ignored her, pretending as if they hadn’t seen her standing there. No, Osezele didn’t care about that. Her attention was on the maroon beret on Fatima’s head. There was something familiar about that beret. Osezele knew that it wasn’t Fatima’s. In their three years as friends, they’d switched beret’s enough times for Osezele to know that it wasn’t hers. So, whose was it? And why did it seem so familiar?

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Richykemzy: 2:53pm On Dec 28, 2018
grin ;Dsuspense........... ghen ghen ghen more mysteries to be unravelled in next episodes. am eagerly waiting for dem!!!!
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by tunjilomo(m): 4:36pm On Dec 29, 2018
This is getting more intriguing by the moment.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 1:08am On Dec 30, 2018
@Richykemzy thank you! the wait is over cheesy

@tunjilomo thank you. It's going to get even more intriguing!

The next three chapters are really short, so I'm going to be posting three chapters this week. Hope you enjoy them!!!
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 1:12am On Dec 30, 2018
Chapter Thirty-two
-----------------------------------------------------

Tolani ran into Osezele’s hostel. She made her way through the empty hostel, running until she got to Osezele’s bunk. Even from where she stood, she could hear Osezele’s cries of pain. Tolani kept moving, deaf to anything but the torment she could hear in Osezele’s voice.

Oke, the hostel prefect, stopped her.

It took Tolani a while to pull her attention from Osezele to Oke. The senior girl had her bag on her back and was on her way to the door, heading out of the hostel. “It’s only you people left. Tell Aishat to lock the door when she leaves and bring the key to the refectory.” Oke ordered before walking away.

Tolani watched Oke leave. She heard the door close behind Oke and in a part of her mind she registered that the hostel was empty. It was time for prayers, so most of the students were in the chapel, preparing to go through the mandatory praise and worship session and proceeding rosary prayer. Tolani was supposed to be there too, but Aishat had sent someone to call her, and the message the student had carried had seemed so dire Tolani had come running.

Another sharp cry from Osezele pulled Tolani back to reality. She turned back around and continued walking towards Osezele’s corner.

Tolani walked into the corner, foregoing the expected ‘please excuse me’ statement, in the face of Osezele’s pain. She looked around her. Ngozi, Aishat and Seyi were there. They all watched with anguish as Osezele writhed on her bed. Seyi sat by Osezele and wiped away the sweat on her forehead. Aishat sat on the foot of the bed, stroking Osezele’s leg in a cajoling manner. Ngozi sat on her bunk watching the whole thing with a panicked expression on her face.

Tolani could imagine why Ngozi would panic. Osezele being in this much pain could not be a good sign.

They’d all begun to relax.

Things had gotten off to a rough start when Lami caught Nosa and Ricky together only a day after she’d made her new ‘no werewolves together alone’ law. But it had been smooth sailings since then. Surprisingly, the wolves stayed in line. For some reason Tolani wasn’t quite sure of, Beedie seemed terrified of Lami. His fear seemed to have spread to the other wolves in his pack, because they obeyed Lami, unquestioningly. It was as if Lami had turned into something else overnight, something that made werewolves afraid. Tolani didn’t know what it was, but she was grateful for it because an entire week had gone by without incident. And so, with only one day left before visiting day, they had all begun to relax.

Not anymore.

Tolani sat in the middle of the bed, between Aishat and Seyi.

Osezele thrashed around. She screamed again, and bent her legs towards her stomach, putting her hand over her belly. She was in so much pain, she seemed oblivious to the rest of them.

“What happened?” Tolani asked.

“She was complaining of menstrual pain like ten minutes ago and then senior Ngozi gave her Panadol, but that only made it worse.” Seyi replied.

“This can’t be menstrual pain.” Tolani stated, as Osezele thrashed around more violently, groaning and shivering.

“That’s what it started as.” Ngozi replied.

Tolani frowned. She stretched out her hand to touch Osezele. Her hand snapped back. “She’s burning up.” Tolani stated.

“It’s only been getting worse.” Aishat said.

Tolani knelt on the bed, bending over her. She held onto Osezele’s face, trying to get Osezele’s attention by talking to her and then frowned when she saw Osezele’s eyes closed. “Osezele.” Tolani called out. There was no response, her eyes remained closed.

“Her eyes have been closed for close to two minutes now.” Seyi said.

Tolani’s confusion grew. “Hold her face.” She ordered Seyi as she climbed further up in the bed. Aishat and Ngozi both stood up and moved closer to watch what Tolani was going to do. Seyi put both of her hands on either side of Osezele’s cheeks, holding her still. She had to use force to keep Osezele’s face in place while the rest of her was writhing on the bed.

Tolani put her finger over Osezele’s right eye and gently forced the eyelid up, exposing the orbs.

Seyi gasped, letting go of Osezele in the process.

Osezele’s face turned to the right sharply and Tolani quickly took her hand away to keep from poking Osezele’s other eye.

All three of the senior girls glared at Seyi.

“What’s wrong with you?” Tolani snapped.

Aishat pulled Seyi off the bed by her shirt. “Abeg move joh.” Aishat added, taking Seyi’s place at the head of the bed.

Aishat held onto Osezele’s face as Seyi had done before, holding her still so that Tolani could pull her eyelids back again. They all stared with shock at Osezele’s eye. The eye was filled with red and blue spots, completely covering the white. It was as if the circles were fighting, because the blue ones swelled as the red receded, taking over space the red previously occupied, and then the red pushed back, trying to recover its stolen ground.

Tolani pulled her finger back and Aishat let go of Osezele’s head.

“What was that?” Seyi’s voice shook as she asked the question.

“It looks like her commune mark is trying to come out.” Tolani stated. “She said it was suppressed, so why now?” she asked herself.

“What should we do?” Ngozi asked Tolani.

Tolani was already asking herself the same question. She closed her eyes and thought back to everything she’d ever read. Osezele cried out again and she had to force her mind to ignore it. She tried to remember the bi-marked warlock her father had met. She remembered something.

“My father studied a bi-marked warlock.” Tolani said. “He kept a journal about his findings. I remember reading something about natural pain. He called it the third type of pain. There’s physical pain which comes from the body’s reaction to physical external stimulus, like when you hit your leg against a rock. Then there’s emotional pain which comes from the body’s reaction to non-physical external stimulus, like when someone says something that hurts you. But natural pain comes purely from within, it is pain that results from the body’s functioning. Menstrual pain is natural pain. Communes’ powers come from negative emotions, which means emotional pain. And we know from everything that happened to Osezele when she absorbed all those emotions, that physical pain somehow helped her control her commune mark, so maybe it overrides emotional pain. And maybe natural pain is the opposite, maybe natural pain amplifies emotional pain.”

Ngozi marveled at Tolani.

Aishat’s mind was churning too. “Maybe I can help.” She stated.

All eyes zoomed over to her.

“How?” Ngozi asked.

“If Tolani is right, then Osezele’s menstrual cramps are sending her emotional pain into overdrive. Maybe it’s the combination of both of them that’s putting her in so much pain. I can absorb some of her emotional pain, and give her enough room to clear her mind. Maybe that’ll help.”

Ngozi nodded.

Tolani shook her head. “I don’t think it’ll work. Osezele is a very strong commune, you’re not strong enough to absorb all of her emotions.”

Aishat smiled at Tolani. “I’m a leak,” She stated. “a pain leak. I can absorb more than Osezele can store, I just won’t be able to store it.”

“Of course!” Tolani exclaimed. “You’re a leak! Everything makes so much more sense now. Do you know what to do with it?”

Aishat nodded saying, “Oshoke taught me.” Just as Ngozi said, “You’re the good commune.”

All eyes turned to Ngozi.

Ngozi shrugged. “When I was in the community, they were doing all this research to turn founts into leaks. Leaks can’t kill. Founts can. They called the leaks the good communes.”

Aishat went into action mode, choosing to ignore Ngozi’s words. She couldn’t blame the rest of the world for their fear of communes, it was scary to know that someone had the power to take your life simply by thinking about it. Aishat knew there was more to it than that, but that was the gist. All her life she’d wanted to be a fount. This was the first time she’d felt pride in being a leak. She could help Osezele in a way a fount couldn’t.

“Tolani, Seyi, go around the hostel and find blankets, towels, wrappers, anything you can use to cover the windows close to this bunk. In case anyone is walking by.” Aishat ordered. Tolani and Seyi got off the bed and went to do as she asked.

Aishat walked over to her bunk. She pulled out her box and dug inside her bag for the mat. She pulled it out and then closed her bag back up and took the mat back to Osezele’s corner. She spread the mat out on the floor of the corner. The mat had been specifically designed to fit into Oshoke’s corner. Unfortunately, Oshoke’s corner had been much bigger than the one Osezele shared with Ngozi.

“Ngo, can you please help me push these bunks back?” Aishat asked.

Ngozi nodded. She took her eyes off the beautiful mat and walked with Aishat to the bunkbed by hers. Together they pushed that bed, reducing the size of the adjacent corner. Tolani and Seyi rushed over to help, after covering up the nearby windows. They pulled the shoes, box and buckets that had been under the last bed, so that they were still under the bed when it was moved. All four of them repeated the action on Ngozi’s bunk, increasing the corner space that they had. The mat fit into the corner then.

Tolani walked into the corner and stopped. A wide smile formed on her face. “Is that what I think it is?” she asked Aishat.

Aishat nodded distractedly. She sat by Osezele’s head on her bed, and put her hand over Osezele’s forehead.

“What is it?” Seyi asked.

“It’s a fire-doily.” Tolani replied.

“What does it do?” Seyi asked.

“Shh.” Aishat called out, silencing them. “I’m trying to concentrate.” Then she went into her mark. Her eyes turned red.

Aishat gasped as she felt Osezele’s pain flow into her. She directed it towards the doily.

The fire-doily was a mat with a number of intricate patterns embroidered on it. Those patterns looped around into flowers on some parts of the mat, they formed into stars on others, some were letters, and some were just curved lines with loops. Each of the patterns had different colors and were made out of a very special type of candle wick.

Aishat began. She absorbed some of Osezele’s pain and channeled it onto a rose pattern on the doily. That lit up one end of the blue pattern. The candle wick caught on fire at that end, and a dazzling blue fire spread all through the pattern, until it completed its loop, meeting back where it had originated. Once the cycle was complete, the pattern lifted off the mat and rose in the air. Tolani, Seyi and Ngozi watched the pattern rise, mesmerized by the beauty. It hovered in the air for a bit, and then the blazing pattern erupted, sending blue embers back onto the mat. The embers were absorbed by the mat, right as another pattern rose to take its place.

“They call it commune fireworks.” Tolani whispered to Seyi.

“It’s amazing!” Seyi said in reply.

On and on it went, patterns being lit on the mat, then released into the air, and coming back as colored embers to be absorbed back into the mat. It was beautiful.

Osezele gasped.

Aishat came out of her mark and stared down at Osezele. Osezele’s eyes were no longer blue and red. They were just one color.

Red.

“She’s in her commune mark.” Aishat stated.

“Is that a bad thing?” Seyi asked.

“I guess we’re about to find out.” Tolani said in reply.

2 Likes

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by lukfame(m): 3:36am On Dec 30, 2018
Ghen ghen. Lol..
Nice story you have here ma'am. Keep up the good work
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 9:17am On Dec 30, 2018
Wow! I can't breathe, I can't breathe. I can't breathe! Intense!
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by tunjilomo(m): 1:16pm On Dec 30, 2018
Interesting.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by sampz: 9:08am On Dec 31, 2018
OluwabuqqyYOLO:
Wow! I can't breathe, I can't breathe. I can't breathe! Intense!
read again and maybe you can breathe
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by spixytinxy(f): 10:25am On Dec 31, 2018
Wow, am short of words
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 4:23pm On Dec 31, 2018
That tolani is a betrayer, how can you even be jealous of your own best friend that you have been together for long? fake friend. I can't wait to see what she will do in her commune mark, maybe hurt tolani small I hope.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by phoenixchap: 11:14pm On Dec 31, 2018
Wheeeeewww.... ObehiD good work dear... Lovely lovely, been AWOL, now I'm back..
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by tunjilomo(m): 12:16am On Jan 01
Happy New Year, Obehid. Hope you are dropping something today.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by GeoSilYe(f): 9:50am On Jan 01
Peaceyw:
That tolani is a betrayer, how can you even be jealous of your own best friend that you have been together for long? fake friend. I can't wait to see what she will do in her commune mark, maybe hurt tolani small I hope.

She is human naw and we all know that Tolani is far from being a fake friend

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 3:34pm On Jan 01
Happy New Year everyone. I hope 2019 surpasses 2018 for each and everyone of us!!!

@lukfame thank you so much!!!

@OluwabuqqyYOLO hehehe, don't worry when I post the next one your airways will clear grin

@tunjilomo thank you

@sampz lol, is that what you did? cheesy

@spixytinxy grin grin grin. That's what I wanted...my evil plan is working hahaha. Thank you!

@Peaceyw Is she really a fake friend though? I think jealousy is a human emotion and what really matters is how she deals with it. Sometimes, when a friend gets everything you want, you can't help feeling jealous. What really defines a person is how they deal with that jealousy. Even after being jealous and everything, when Tolani heard Osezele was in pain she ran to her hostel to help her...I think that says something about Tolani

@phoenixchap Glad to have you back! Hope you had/are having a great holiday. Thank you!

@tunjilomo happy new year to you too! I was planning on posting the next chapter tomorrow morning so that it's a little closer to the last one I'll be posting this week (on Friday), but I can post it today if that's preferable?

@GeoSilYe I agree, she's human, just like Victor, and just like Beedie. They've all made mistakes. I think what really defines them are the choices they make next.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by tunjilomo(m): 3:49pm On Jan 01
Go on with your schedule, please.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 1:25am On Jan 02
Chapter Thirty-three

Osezele looked around the all-white room.

It had been a while since she’d been here, but she could never forget it.

It was her white place.

The last time she’d been in here was after the imps merged. She could still remember sitting on the floor, by the corner, and crying into her knees. She remembered Nosa coming to save her, she remembered him calling her ‘princess’.

“Blood of my blood!” the voice echoed throughout the walls of the room.

Osezele jumped hearing the familiar voice. She hadn’t thought about the other world she’d visited in a while. Hadn’t thought about the creatures she’d seen or the strange horse ghosts they rode. Hadn’t thought about the complete blackness, the lack of color.

“Sada-hi-masan, blood of my blood!” The voice came back again.

Again, Osezele swerved around, trying to find the source of the voice. There was nothing. Just the white walls and the sound.

“Blood of my blood!”

Osezele turned. “What is this?” she screamed.

“The nothingness will grant you a thing from the not so…”

“Stop!” Osezele yelled at the voice. “Stop!”

“Sada-hi-masan.”

“Blood of my blood.”

“The nothingness.”

“They form a whole.”

The words were all coming together now, all talking at the same time, all loud and jarring as they fought to be heard, speaking over the one before.

Osezele felt as if she was being consumed, as if she was being swallowed whole. She put her hands over her ears to protect them from the loud discordant sounds even as the voices continued. “Stop!” she yelled. The voices grew louder, as if they were coming towards her.

Osezele’s fear spiked.

She couldn’t see anything, but it felt as if the voices were surrounding her. The room was empty, but she could feel a presence. It was as if she could see the voices in her mind, as though a subconscious part of herself recognized the voices as a being with a form. And that form was in front of her now, even though she couldn’t see it, she just knew. She knew she wasn’t alone in the room, she knew there was something in the voices.

“Please.” She begged. “Please, just stop.” Her voice took on an edge of despair as she pleaded with the invisible force.

To her surprise, it listened. The voices went away.

Warily, Osezele took her hands off from around her ears and brought them down towards her sides. She looked around the empty room nervously. She could still feel it. It felt as if it hadn’t moved, as if the voices were still standing in front of her, even though she couldn’t see or hear anything.

Osezele cleared her throat. “Who…” she shook her head. “What are you?” she asked.

“There’s also a white place.” The voice that responded was Dele’s, the food prefect who’d been killed. Osezele remembered the conversation from the time she’d gone into herself and spoken with Dele’s imp. It had told her about the white place.

“You’re my white place?” Osezele asked.

“Yes.” This time the voice that responded was hers.

“Don’t you have a voice of your own?” she asked.

“Memory.” The voice that replied this time was Beedie’s.

Osezele sighed. She was able to put two and two together. She knew it was telling her that its voice was her memories. She just didn’t understand what that meant. And since she had no idea, she didn’t think it would either, especially not if it only spoke through her memories.

“Why am I here?” she asked.

“The nothingness will grant you a thing from the not so past, a thing from the not so present, and a thing from the not so future. Together they form a whole that answers the most pressing strain on your mind. Sada-hi-masan, blood of my blood.” The voice was the memory of the time she’d gone to the black world.

Osezele was confused.

“It was preparing me for the wind.” She said to the presence she felt in the empty room. “It was preparing me to get my heart broken by Nosa.”

“Together they form a whole that answers the most pressing strain on your mind.” The sentence from the memory was repeated to her.

Osezele’s confusion grew. “I’m missing something.” She said more to herself than the presence. And then to the presence, “What am I missing?”

The memory of the vision she’d seen in the nothingness came back to her. The space around her morphed into the blackness of the nothingness. It was as if the presence had turned to the memory the same way it turned to the voices. She was back in the dark place, back to staring at Nosa with the bow and arrow in his hand. He shot the arrow through her and again she felt strong when he was done.

“The nothingness will grant you a thing from the not so past, a thing from the not so present, and a thing from the not so future. Together they form a whole that answers the most pressing strain on your mind.” The voice echoed as the memory continued. The girl in the beret unshackled the merged imps and…Osezele’s head snapped back to the beret as the voice said again.

“Together they form a whole that answers the most pressing strain on your mind.”

Why did the beret look so familiar? She thought, as the memory continued with the merged imps running towards her.

“I was talking to my friend.” She heard Nosa’s voice, followed closely by hers, saying, “Bye.”

She knew her white place was trying to point her to another memory, even as she continued in her memory of fighting the merged imps in the blackness of the other world she’d been in.

She saw the beret again and heard her voice saying, “Bye.”

And then she remembered.

The beret.

It was the same beret that she’d seen Fatima wearing! That was why the beret had looked so familiar.

The memory rewound, going back to the girl in the beret releasing the merged imps.

“Together they form a whole that answers the most pressing strain on your mind.” The voice repeated.

What was the most pressing strain on her mind? The answer was in the beret, in the person wearing it.

“The agent!” Osezele exclaimed.

“Bye.” Her voice said again, and she remembered Fatima wearing the beret, just as she saw again, the image of the girl wearing the beret, releasing the imp. But she knew the beret wasn’t Fatima’s. So, whose was it?

“The nothingness will grant you a thing from the not so past, a thing from the not so present, and a thing from the not so future. Together they form a whole that answers the most pressing strain on your mind.” The voice repeated again.

The memory rewound, going back to the start. She saw Nosa shooting an arrow through her heart. The memory rewound. Nosa shot the arrow through her heart again. She felt stronger. Rewind. Again, Nosa shot the arrow through her heart, as the voice said,

“Together they form a whole that answers the most pressing strain on your mind.”

Osezele watched as the memory rewound again. She muttered the words to herself, “Together they form…” she stopped.

Osezele’s eyes widened.

Her mouth opened in shock.

Again, the memory of Nosa shooting an arrow through her heart was repeated.

‘Together they form’, she repeated just that phrase to herself. Even as she could feel the answer coming to her. TOGETHER. She thought, putting emphasis on the first word. The memory went back to Nosa shooting an arrow through her heart, and then fast forwarding to the girl in the beret releasing the imps.

“Together they form a whole that answers the most pressing strain on your mind.” The voice from the memory repeated.

Together. Osezele thought. Meaning that the person who released the imp was connected to Nosa shooting an arrow through her heart.

“Oh my God!” Osezele exclaimed. “Oh my God! I know who it is. I was right.” She said the words to herself. “I was right all along.” She couldn’t believe it! “Thank you!” she yelled at the white place.

But it wasn’t done.

The memory went back to her fighting with the merged imps. The imp rushed towards her with its red cutlass and a blue one appeared in her hand to duel it.

“You need to learn how to fight with a…” this time the voice was uncle Ehi’s. She remembered it from before he left. And then “Cutlass.” Was added in her own voice, as she continued to watch the memory of herself fighting the imp.

“I know I need to learn how to fight…” Osezele began to say.

“A thing from the not so past, a thing from the not so present, and a thing from the not so future.” The voice from the memory repeated, cutting her off, as she continued to watch the memory of herself fighting against the imp.

Osezele couldn’t decipher this one. “I don’t know what you’re trying to tell me.”

“A thing from the not so past.” The voice from the memory repeated, as the memory in front of her went back to Nosa shooting an arrow through her heart.

Now she knew that the vision had been warning her about Binta. Binta was the reason Nosa shot an arrow through her heart.

“I heard they were doing it in the refectory after food.” The voice that came was from a memory Osezele had forgotten. She remembered it then, it was the memory of walking behind a group of students talking about Nosa and Binta. That all happened before she’d caught Nosa and Binta making out.

“A thing from the not so past.” The voice from the memory said again. The voice was juxtaposed with the image of Nosa shooting an arrow through her heart.

Osezele finally got it.

“A thing from the not so past.” She stated. Understanding now why the strange man she’d met in that black place had said the words. She’d just thought it was some bad phrasing, but now she understood. It was the not so past, because it had happened in the past, had been happening in the present, and was also going to happen in the future. Nosa shot an arrow through her heart because of Binta, and he hadn’t only done it in the past.

“A thing from the not so present, and a thing from the not so future.” The memory came back.

Osezele understood now. Everything that she’d seen in that vision had happened in the past, was happening in the present when she’d seen it, and was going to happen in the future. She understood the significance of the bow and arrow now. She also understood the significance of the girl in the beret. But the imp being released? The imps had been released in the past, by the medium, controlled by the agent, which she now knew was Binta. But according to the words the man had said, she also now knew that the imp was going to be released again. She also knew that it couldn’t be the merged imps, because she’d already killed one, which meant it had to be one of the two she’d let go. Dele or her classmate. The vision was telling her that the imp was coming back, and that was why she needed to train with a cutlass. Because she had to fight the imp again.

As soon as Osezele grasped the full impact of the vision, she parted her lips to thank her white place, but it was gone. Now she was surrounded by darkness. There was a single red glow coming from a corridor to her right.

Osezele walked towards it.

As she got closer, she could hear the dangling of chains, and the rattling of a gate.

Then a raspy voice she’d never heard before said, “An uspec chained by an umani. Of all the insults, this one is the greatest.”

Osezele frowned. She had no idea what it meant, but before she could get any further, a pool of blue water appeared underneath her feet. She found herself being dragged backwards, away from the rattling chains and shaking metal gates. Until she was surrounded by blue.

Seli stood in front of her.

“What was that?” Osezele demanded, inching her head backwards, in the direction of the voice.

“Nothing.” Seli replied.

“It wasn’t nothing.” Osezele persisted.

Seli sighed. “It summoned you.” Was its only response.

“It summoned…” Osezele broke off. She was in her mind. It was the first time since the whole bizarre thing started that she realized that. She was in her mind. The only way to go into her mind was through a crimson inferno. But she didn’t remember building an inferno. In fact, she couldn’t have, not with her commune mark suppressed. ‘It summoned you.’ Seli’s response sounded in her head. “That was my commune mark, wasn’t it?”

Seli shook her head. “Your commune mark does not live, just as your witch mark does not live. It was what you would call your red place.”

“My red place.” Osezele intoned. “Why is my red place locked up? Is that why my commune mark is suppressed? Are you suppressing my commune mark?” she demanded.

“I do not possess that much power.” Seli replied. “You are the only one capable of suppressing your mark.”

Osezele shook her head. “I don’t understand.” She stated.

“Only you can suppress your mark. If you wanted it out, it would be.”

“I want it out.” Osezele replied, instinctively.

“Do you really?” Seli asked. “What did you do after you got rid of the merged imps?”

Osezele tried to remember. She knew she’d come back out of her mind, knew that she’d stopped the fire, but she couldn’t think of anything she could have done which would have affected her mark. “I don’t know.”

“The answer is in the memory.” Seli stated cryptically.

“Why can’t you just tell me?” Osezele asked exasperated. Was nothing ever simple with Seli?

“I will just tell you. I will just tell you why it summoned you. It summoned you because the imp has entered St. Luke’s. It feels its presence and wanted to warn you. Now that the imp has come into the bijoutise magic, things will be so much worse if your wolves lose control again.”

The imp, Osezele thought. What imp? She asked herself. And then she remembered what she’d learned from the white place. It had to be the imp that she was going to fight. One of the imps she’d released. And it had returned, even though she’d told it not to.

Another thought crossed Osezele’s mind. “My red place was trying to help me.” She said, surprised that it would when it had sounded so angry at her.

“We all try to help you.” Seli stated.

Before Osezele could respond, she felt herself getting light-headed. The blue faded as her eyes closed.

When she regained consciousness, she was back in her hostel in St. Luke’s with four pairs of eyes staring down at her.

2 Likes

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by tunjilomo(m): 8:08am On Jan 02
Ah! Ah! The ending is too ... What word can I use ... Ok, let's forget that. I think I am getting most of these things now. Every of the marks has some sort of avatar. The white was the Augur mark, the red the Commune(Uspec right? And what's an Umani?), the blue was the Witch mark. Obehid, I just wish Osezele will start some sort of training soon(or achieving her destiny). She is just too powerful. And just to remind you, maybe after this St. Luke episodes, you can write about those Wolf and Commune living together(That place Ashanti and Binta came from.)
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 8:22am On Jan 02
God. Obehi, you make me love reading even more. I save your updates for the last 'cos I fear that I could read something inferior after I read something most superior. Wow.

Back to the story, Osezele must regain her mark, whether she knows how to or not. She sha must get it.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by GeoSilYe(f): 8:59am On Jan 02
Happy New Year ObehiD!

obehiD:
Happy New Year everyone. I hope 2019 surpasses 2018 for each and everyone of us!!!

@lukfame thank you so much!!!

@OluwabuqqyYOLO hehehe, don't worry when I post the next one your airways will clear grin

@tunjilomo thank you

@sampz lol, is that what you did? cheesy

@spixytinxy grin grin grin. That's what I wanted...my evil plan is working hahaha. Thank you!

@Peaceyw Is she really a fake friend though? I think jealousy is a human emotion and what really matters is how she deals with it. Sometimes, when a friend gets everything you want, you can't help feeling jealous. What really defines a person is how they deal with that jealousy. Even after being jealous and everything, when Tolani heard Osezele was in pain she ran to her hostel to help her...I think that says something about Tolani

@phoenixchap Glad to have you back! Hope you had/are having a great holiday. Thank you!

@tunjilomo happy new year to you too! I was planning on posting the next chapter tomorrow morning so that it's a little closer to the last one I'll be posting this week (on Friday), but I can post it today if that's preferable?

@GeoSilYe I agree, she's human, just like Victor, and just like Beedie. They've all made mistakes. I think what really defines them are the choices they make next.

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 9:37am On Jan 02
GeoSilYe:

She is human naw and we all know that Tolani is far from being a fake friend

she should have kept the thoughts to herself and should not have said it out.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by monalicious(f): 9:58am On Jan 02
Tolani's reaction to Danny's death is quite surprising, seeing that she was crushing on him. I expected her to mourn him more, there's no mention of Tolani mourning
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by spixytinxy(f): 11:20am On Jan 02
Chai obehid why now, it unfair ooo. Abeg Friday update should be very very very long ooo. Happy new year to u too dear
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 11:42pm On Jan 02
@tunjilomo So, I don't want to spoil it. I'll just say that the uspec and umani business is actually from a different language (not spoken in the standard existence). That part is really just a teaser for more things to come. The next book is going to have the explanation for that and a lot more about the marked, how they came about, what they really are...it'll have the origin story and those names are part of it. Osezele's training on her marks has already started (with the elements). I don't think there's going to be a big formal training for her to master all of them at once, I think it'll just be in parts. Actually, the next book will have an all-round training of sorts, but she will indeed achieve her potential at some point. About going back to the village (where Ashanti and Binta come from)...I'll just say that it is going to happen, and leave it at that cheesy

@OluwabuqqyYOLO Thank you grin. Haha, she has to learn how to get it back first, which means she has to know how she lost it

@GeoSilYe thanks and same to you!!!

@monalicious So, when Danny dies, Tolani is with Ricky, crying over the body. After that though, you'e right, there is no mention of Tolani mourning Danny. She did have a bit of a crush on Danny, but it was a short-lived thing that passed. They were more friends than anything else, and they hadn't really known each other for that long. But the scene after really focuses on Ricky's grief and we don't really know if/how she mourns. I'll have to be more careful about those details in the future. Thank you!

@spixytinxy thanks! These weeks chapters are really short, which is why I'm posting three instead of two this week, but the next one will be longer than the last two smiley
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Ultimategeneral: 10:03pm On Jan 03
seriously if i don't comment i do be doing great injustice to the OP. one of the very best fictional books in African setting, i've ever read.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 12:06am On Jan 04
Ultimategeneral:
seriously if i don't comment i do be doing great injustice to the OP. one of the very best fictional books in African setting, i've ever read.

Thank you!!! Wow, my head is swelling oh grin
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 12:06am On Jan 04
Chapter Thirty-four

“Osezele!” Seyi squealed. She wrapped her arms around Osezele’s neck and hugged her.

Osezele blinked. Her head felt full with everything she’d just learnt. She put her arms around her bunkmate, more to pull her off than anything else, but Seyi just clung to her, and so Osezele hugged her back as she forced them both into an upright sitting position.

“Abeg let her breathe.” Aishat teased.

Seyi laughed. She let go of Osezele and moved to the side.

For the next few minutes, Osezele listened with partial attention to the tales of Seyi’s fear and Tolani’s brilliant knowledge of the different types of pain and then finally Aishat’s uncovering of the fire-doily. She listened as Seyi screamed about how beautiful the display was, and received another monster hug from her bunkmate. Aishat hugged her as well, and then she went from concerned friend mode to assistant head girl mode and told them they had to leave the hostel for dinner. They’d apparently already missed prayers.

Osezele listened as attentively as she could through all of it, all the while barely restraining the need to explode with her own big secret. Until finally, they all left the hostel and separated when they got to the refectory. Osezele grabbed onto Tolani’s hand before she could walk in.

“What is it?” Tolani asked, as she allowed herself to get dragged away by Osezele.

Osezele waited until they got to the tap at the back of the refectory and then she said, “Binta is the agent!”

Tolani rolled her eyes. “You can’t start this again Osezele.” Tolani snapped. “You just sound like a jealous ex.”

Osezele drew back. She frowned at Tolani, wondering why her best friend would respond like that. Then Osezele remembered what she’d heard Tolani say to Ricky last Sunday. She’d spent the entire week avoiding the topic and pretending that she didn’t see the hurt look on Tolani’s face whenever Lami sent for her.

“I heard what you told Ricky on Sunday.” Osezele confessed.

Tolani’s heart pounded. “What?” she asked.

“I heard what you told Ricky. I don’t want to be head girl. If that’s why you’re snapping at me, then you can stop. I’m going to tell Aishat and Lami that Aishat can hand over to you. I’ve never wanted that post.”

“But you’ll get it anyway.” Tolani stated bitterly.

“Tolani, I’m telling you that I know who the agent is. Instead of focusing on that, you’re focusing on something that’s not even going to happen.”

“Binta is not the agent.” Tolani replied.

“Why won’t you listen to me? I saw it in the vision from when I went to that black world the day that Elliot died. I just didn’t know what I was seeing. Now I know.” Osezele insisted.

Tolani shook her head.

“What’s wrong with you Tolani? Is it because of the post? Why don’t you believe me?”

Tolani sighed. “Tell me exactly what you saw.” She conceded.

Osezele smiled.

She told Tolani everything that happened in details. She didn’t leave anything out. She started from the vision in the nothingness, to the memories and the way her white place guided her to understand it all. She watched as the mask of disbelief fell away from Tolani’s face and slowly, the logical part of her mind, the part that was always looking for the solution came to the front.

“Oh my God!” Tolani exclaimed as soon as Osezele was done. “It’s Binta.”

Osezele nodded smiling.

“You were right from the very beginning!” Tolani stated.

Again, Osezele just nodded and smiled.

“What are we going to do?” Tolani asked.

As soon as she asked the question Osezele replied with, “I have to tell Nosa.”

As Tolani said, “I have to tell Lami.”

And once they both heard what the other said, they changed places. Tolani screamed out, “Nosa?” in question.

Just as Osezele asked, “Lami?”

Then they both stopped, realizing they’d been talking over each other, and they burst out laughing. It was a laughter free of tension, free of Osezele’s fear of losing her friend to a post she didn’t want, and Tolani’s jealousy of everything Osezele had that she didn’t. They stopped and smiled at each other.

“I don’t want the post.” Osezele stated.

“I know.” Tolani replied. She still smiled, but Osezele could see the sadness in her face when she added. “That just makes it worse.”

“I’ll tell Aishat not to give it to me.”

“Don’t.” Tolani stated. “I’ll get over this. It just took me by surprise. I’ll get over it, I promise. I waited a very long time for a friend like you Osezele. I won’t let my jealousy get in the way of that.”

“I’m sorry.” Osezele said, not sure what else to say.

“Don’t be.” Tolani replied. She shook her head and forced her sadness back down. She smiled at Osezele. “Back to Binta.”

Osezele nodded. “We have to tell Nosa.”

“Why? Why is he the first person you think we should tell?”

“Because he has to know.”

“Not because you want to break them up?” Tolani asked honestly.

Osezele pulled back in shock. “Of course not.” She lied. “We’re just friends.”

Tolani rolled her eyes. “You and Nosa will never just be friends. It’s impossible. Every school has the one couple with the tragic love story, and in St. Luke’s that’s you and Nosa.”

Osezele shook her head. “We are just friends.” She insisted. “I want to tell him because that’s what friends do when they learn something about their friend’s girlfriend.”

“Don’t do it Osezele.” Tolani warned.

“Why not?”

“Because he’ll think you’re being jealous. Nosa has taken enough from you, don’t give him your self-respect too.”

Osezele ignored Tolani. “I’m going to tell him.” She stated determinedly. “He deserves to know. He’s the most affected by this.”

“Really?” Tolani asked. “More affected than…oh, I don’t know, Lami, whose sister Binta used to kill people.”

Osezele stubbornly refused to hear what Tolani was saying. She could just see it in her head, Nosa smiling at her the way he had last Sunday. She could feel the electricity from when he’d touched her. She remembered the way it had felt before he’d been about to kiss her. She knew that she could finally have the boy of her dreams. “I’m going to tell him.” Osezele stated, and then she took off, running with the wind.

Nosa and Binta were sitting on the table in the middle of the refectory. It was the table reserved for food prefects and the senior prefects. Seeing as Binta was neither of the two, Osezele wondered what she was doing there. As soon as Binta saw Osezele walking towards them, she wrapped her hand around Nosa’s arm and sidled closer towards him. She kissed Nosa on his neck and rested her head on his shoulder. Osezele rolled her eyes.

She stopped in front of the couple.

“Nosa.” Osezele called out, her heart pounding wildly. “Can we talk?” she asked.

Nosa was shocked. “Yes, of course.” He said, extricating his arm from Binta’s vise grip. His full attention was on Osezele and the look on her face as he walked beside her, into the walkway which led to the kitchen.

“What is it princess?” Nosa asked, as soon as they were standing outside the refectory.

Osezele heard the note of worry in his voice. She couldn’t help smiling at the way he’d called her princess. “It’s Binta.” Osezele replied.

Nosa frowned. “What about Binta?” he asked.

“I don’t know how to tell you this.” Osezele stated.

“Just say it.” Nosa prompted.

Osezele sighed.

“Binta is the agent.” Osezele said.

“What?” Nosa asked, recoiling.

Osezele watched him draw back from her and she felt a sharp pang in her chest. She swallowed it down. “Binta is the agent. The one who was using Moji to kill students. The one who is most likely behind this quintise magic thing. It’s Binta.”

“Why would you say that?” Nosa asked.

“Because it’s the truth.” Osezele replied.

“Says who?”

Osezele scrambled in her mind for a way to explain it to him. She couldn’t tell him the truth without exposing her augur mark. “Don’t you trust me Nosa?” she asked instead. “It’s the truth. I promise.”

“Why would you say something like this?” asked Nosa in reply. “Is it because you’re jealous of Binta?” As soon as the question left his mouth Nosa regretted it.

“I’m not jealous of Binta!” Osezele yelled. “I came to talk to you because I thought, giving everything we’ve been through, you would believe me. I was wrong.” Osezele began walking away.

Nosa stopped her. He grabbed onto her arm. “I’m sorry.” He apologized. “I shouldn’t have said it. It’s just that I don’t understand where this is coming from. Of course I know you, and of course I trust you. But I also know and trust Binta. I know that she’s not capable of what you’re saying.”

Osezele sighed. She shook her head, chastising herself for her own stupidity. She should have listened to Tolani.

Nosa watched Osezele’s face fill with pain and he tried to fix it. “Shey we’re friends?” he asked.

Osezele hesitated, but she nodded.

“Okay.” He said smiling. “Then I understand why you came to me. I understand and I’m grateful. You heard something and you wanted to warn me, to protect me, as a friend would. Thank you. But I don’t need the protection. So, as my friend, I need you to believe me, to trust me when I say that it isn’t Binta. Can you do that?” he asked.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 12:07am On Jan 04
Osezele almost nodded. She was transfixed by his smile, it was the same one he’d given her on Sunday, the one she loved. She shook her head, snapping herself out of the spell he so easily cast on her. “I’m sorry, I can’t.” she replied.

Nosa sighed, but he didn’t give up. “That’s okay, you just need some more convincing. I can do that.” He said.

“Nosa!” Binta yelled, walking out from the refectory.

Nosa’s attention shifted from Osezele to Binta.

Osezele took the opportunity to pull her hand back from Nosa’s grip. She turned around and walked away. For the first time in her life, Osezele knew what it meant to hate. It was a bitter emotion, but she felt it. It oozed out of her as she glared at Binta. She knew. She knew what Binta was, she knew what Binta had done and Osezele hated her for it. She should have listened to Tolani. As Osezele walked into the refectory, she made her way determinedly towards Lami. She may not have listened the first time around, but she would now. She was actually excited at the idea of unleashing Lami on Binta.

Binta stopped in front of Nosa. She splayed her fingers over Nosa’s chest and smiled up at him. Nosa smiled back. “What did she want?” Binta asked.

Nosa’s smile wavered. “Nothing you need to worry about.” He replied. “I think this quintise magic thing is just really getting to her.”

Binta suspected he was lying. So, she wrapped her arms around his neck and inched up on her toes to kiss him. She slipped her tongue into his mouth, and while they were kissing, she bonded with him, forcing herself into his mind. She knew that the kiss would distract him long enough for her to find the memory she was looking for.

By the time Nosa realized what Binta was doing, it was already too late. She’d found the memory of his conversation with Osezele.

Nosa pushed Binta back. “Haven’t I told you to stop doing that?” he yelled at her.

Binta’s lips quivered. “Is that how you talk to the mother of your child?” she asked in reply. Then the tears came. She found her acting career useful at times like this when she could get herself to cry on demand. The tears streamed down her face.

Nosa felt guilty. “Come on, why are you crying now?” he asked. “Just because I shouted, I’m sorry.”

Binta sniffed. “It’s the hormones.” She lied.

Nosa smiled at her. He pulled her closer and wiped away the tears streaming down her face. “This one that you’re crying anyhow like this so, I hope my son won’t now come and be a cry baby oh.” He teased.

That got the reaction he wanted. Binta laughed. She smiled at him, and Nosa couldn’t help admiring her beauty, even though she wasn’t the beauty he wanted. Nosa forced that thought down as he pulled Binta closer.

Binta sniffed as the last of her tears fell. “Do you believe Osezele?” she asked unnecessarily.

Nosa shook his head. “Of course not. It’s this quintise magic, it’s just making her nervous. I wish I could find a way to stop it, for her.” He stated absentmindedly.

“For her?” Binta asked.

Nosa shook his head. “I mean, for all of us. I wish there was someone I could talk to, someone who could help with all of this.”

Binta couldn’t believe her luck. This was the opportunity she’d been waiting for, the chance to see if Nosa knew how to get in touch with Emeka. Uncle Joe would be so happy. Binta knew she couldn’t push too much without giving herself away. “Yeah, I guess that would help.”

Nosa nodded.

“I’ve been meaning to ask. Are there any older marked students who’ve graduated from St. Luke’s? Maybe they could help.”

Nosa looked down at Binta. He smiled. “Well,” he said, “there’s Emeka and Oshoke.”

“Who are they?” Binta asked. She had to pull on all of her acting, and all of the calming lessons she’d learned to keep him from suspecting anything. It worked.

“Old students. They graduated last year. No one has heard from them since then.”

Binta’s spirit dropped as soon as she heard that. So the St. Luke’s students didn’t know where they were either?

“You know, I haven’t told anyone else this.” Nosa whispered. “But Emeka left me with a way to get in touch with him, in case of an emergency.”

Binta couldn’t believe her luck! She almost let her mask slip. “He must have really cared about you.” She said.

Nosa nodded. “He was like a brother to me. He really cared about the pack. He would hate to see what it’s turned into.”

“Maybe you should reach out to him.” Binta prompted. “Get him to come back to St. Luke’s. If this quintise magic is not an emergency, then I don’t know what is.”

Nosa smiled at her. “You’re right.” He stated. “Why didn’t I think of him sooner?” he asked.

Binta shrugged. “Two minds are better than one.” She replied.

Nosa kissed her on her forehead and then he ran away, running towards the school block, towards the incomplete building and the plan Emeka had left in place for when Nosa needed to get in touch with him.

Binta watched Nosa leave, and she smiled. Now she only had one more problem to take care of. Osezele.

Binta bid her time. She waited for an hour after the evening food, to make sure that the back of the school block would be deserted before she went back there. Saturdays were the only days that the students weren’t required to go for evening study hall, so she knew she had the best chance of climbing the fence undetected then. To give herself an extra layer of protection, she waited till it was dark to climb over the fence.

She had a very simple mission. All she had to do was get to the other side of the school and phone the village to deliver the two new pieces of information she had. The first was that she had found a way to contact Emeka. That had to go first. It would put uncle Joe in a good mood for the second piece of information, which was that her identity had been compromised.

Binta got to her hidden phone without any problem. She was put through to uncle Joe without incident. She delivered her first piece of news and beamed at the praise in his voice. Then she had to deliver the bad news. She spent more time than she cared to admit apologizing in preparation for the bad news she had to deliver. He surprised her though. Instead of being angry, he said it didn’t matter. He said they’d send someone to the school that evening to pick Osezele up. A commune he said. The commune would be in and out quickly. Teleport to Osezele’s hostel, grab the girl and teleport out. Uncle Joe told Binta he was proud of her.

Binta spent the rest of the evening on cloud nine. Not only was uncle Joe proud of her, but he was taking Osezele away. No more ‘friend talks’ for Nosa. No more competition. Binta was ecstatic.

Lami, Osezele and Tolani walked along the slab. They stopped in front of Osezele’s hostel. With the bell ringing in the background and the students rushing off to get to their hostels before the time-keeper made a full sweep of the school, Lami had to raise her voice more than she would have liked.

“What did Nosa say?” she asked Osezele.

“Nosa is a little biased.” Tolani stated. Lami glared at Tolani, which spurred her into muttering an “I’m sorry.”

Lami’s attention moved back to Osezele. “He didn’t believe me.” Osezele replied. “He said he trusted her.”

Lami sighed. “And you’re sure?” she asked.

“Yes Lami.” Osezele responded confidently. “It’s Binta.”

“Okay.” She stated. “But we aren’t going to be able to do anything about it until we get proof.”

“How will we get proof?” Osezele asked.

“Tomorrow is visiting day. Let’s just wait till then and talk to your uncle. Maybe he’ll have some ideas.”

Osezele nodded.

“Goodnight.” Lami said.

Tolani waved Osezele goodnight as she and Lami began to walk away, back to their hostel. Osezele turned around and walked into hers.

The rest of the night flew by quickly. Osezele went through the regular routine of washing her clothes and then taking her bath. After that, the other SS1 girls in her hostel did their chores, but because she was a school prefect, she didn’t have any chores to do. She just went back to her bunk and waited for the final evening prayers. They had the prayers, right before light-out, when all the lights in the hostel were turned off.

After the day she’d had, Osezele was exhausted. As soon as her head hit the pillow she was out.

Osezele woke with a start.

She didn’t know exactly what it was that woke her up, but as soon as her eyes opened, she was grateful for it.

There was a man, dressed completely in black, standing in the middle of her corner. Osezele opened her mouth to scream right as the man clamped his hand over her mouth.

His eyes turned red.

Osezele felt a change in the air right as a dark mist began to form around him.

She panicked.

She felt the wind around her, and on instinct, she pushed at the man’s chest. She shoved him back violently, and the man was launched in the air with the force of the gust of wind she’d unknowingly created. Osezele jumped to her feet as she watched the man land in the middle of the hostel. She started moving towards him, but by the time she got to where he’d been, he was gone.

“Who’s that? What’s happening?” A sleepy voice called out from a corner behind her.

Osezele ran with the wind, back to her bunk. She jumped back into bed and closed her eyes pretending to be asleep as the student who’d woken up, walked around the hostel.

Osezele waited for the girl to go back to sleep and then she sat up in her bed asking herself the same questions the girl had.

Osezele didn’t go back to sleep.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

I Am Done With Honorary Awards, Says Soyinka / Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer / The Pain Of Pleasure - A Must Read For Every Lady And Her Boyfriend.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 715
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.