₦airaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,164,052 members, 4,715,320 topics. Date: Thursday, 24 January 2019 at 07:30 AM

The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book - Literature (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book (16448 Views)

TÉLLÀ ( A Paranormal Story) / Grabbing The Hot Gate ( A Paranormal Novel) By Akintayo Akinjide / The Marked 2: White Sight. A Nigerian Fantastical Fiction Book. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by sampz: 2:10am On Jan 04
just wana see the famous emeka
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by tunjilomo(m): 6:58am On Jan 04
Osezele is always lucky.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 9:40am On Jan 04
this binta is very smart, I like her but nosa is to gullible chai, me waiting for update like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by GeoSilYe(f): 12:11pm On Jan 04
Damn this is soooo good.
They so underestimated Osezele to have brought a common commune to take her away.

But then why do I feel like Uncle Joe might dispose Binta soon or later?
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Rynne: 2:50pm On Jan 04
....but why do I have this feeling that these updates are two short, it makes following the story abit difficult for me....reason! Wen someone is getting absorbed in the story it suddenly comes to an end,jst my thoughts though.
....while suspense is good, I feel much of it has the reverse effect on the reader,maybe you look into it.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by spixytinxy(f): 6:45pm On Jan 04
Obehid u want to kill us with suspense, me I want more oooo. Remember u promise to make dis update long, pls fulfill ur promise.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by phoenixchap: 11:54pm On Jan 04
Binta! Your end will be worse, I promise!she's such a devil. I hope Osezele is prepared for battle and stewpid NOSA I do hope the Vail over his eye falls off pretty soon.
Thanks ObehiD.. But you promise a very lengthy update I'm still waiting because this update didn't even wet my appetite.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 8:43am On Jan 05
I might be taking this a little harder than intended, but if I am, it's because I don't like being accused of going back on a promise, especially not a promise I made to you guys cry cry cry

At the start of the week I posted this, before I posted the last three chapters:

The next three chapters are really short, so I'm going to be posting three chapters this week. Hope you enjoy them!!!

I acknowledged that the chapters would be short and that's why I went from the usual posting of twice a week, to three times, because the chapters were shorter. And in reply to spixytinxy's comment for the third update to be long, I wrote:

These weeks chapters are really short, which is why I'm posting three instead of two this week, but the next one will be longer than the last two smiley

I said that the last chapter I posted would be longer than the previous two before it, and it was longer than the other two. Over 2 pages longer than the first and over 1 page longer than the second. I feel like I need to defend myself because I wouldn't go back on a promise I made, unless there were circumstances beyond my control, and if I did, I would post something explaining and apologizing for it.

But sha, I'm also a little flattered by it because I can't believe you people are enjoying the story like this, so THANK YOU!

@sampz lol, I know right, it kind of makes you wonder if one person could really be worth all the trouble...but Emeka is something. There's more to him than meets the eye, we'll see more of this in the next book

@tunjilomo she's lucky and she's also powerful. A great combination

@Peaceyw hahaha. I thought I was the only one who liked the devious cunning of some evil characters! The way Binta is playing Nosa ehn, it's almost too painful to watch (more like read I guess)

@GeoSilYe thank you! I know, but now uncle Joe would have learned his lesson. Can you imagine, just one commune against Osezele, smh, that man's brain needs to be examined grin

@Rynne thanks for the feedback! You're right, these chapters are a lot shorter than the previous ones which is why I posted three this week, and I made a post beforehand to let everyone know to expect shorter chapters this week. I'm not posting like this for suspense. Sometimes, starting off, I feel like a chapter should be longer, but I start writing and I get to a point that feels like a natural end, so I let it end there. It also goes the other way. Sometimes I keep writing more than I planned to, because it doesn't feel like a good place to end. If you recall from earlier posts, the length of the last chapter I wrote is actually close to the average length of a chapter in this book and even the last one

@spixytinxy thank you, I find it very flattering that you think there's that much suspense. Really, really, flattering, so thank you. But I didn't say the update would be long now, I said it would be longer than the last two and it was. But I'll make sure the next chapter is longer than this one.

@phoenixchap hahaha, leave my Nosa oh! LOL. Ah, poor Nosa. If he doesn't stand up for the 'mother of his child' who will? hahaha, abeg I like Nosa's blindness, but I feel sad for him. Hopefully the veil over his eyes falls off. Ah, not just lengthy, but 'very lengthy', lol! I didn't promise that oh! But the next chapter will be longer than this one (longer than this one, not very lengthy grin)
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Rynne: 1:43pm On Jan 06
obehiD tnks for taking time to respond to my comments, make me feel special for once tongue....I am just short of words to describe wat m reading and who the writer is...God keep u real good..
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 12:35am On Jan 07
Rynne:
obehiD tnks for taking time to respond to my comments, make me feel special for once tongue....I am just short of words to describe wat m reading and who the writer is...God keep u real good..

Amen, and thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it smiley
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 12:36am On Jan 07
Chapter Thirty-five
-----------------------------------------------------
The Community, Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria

The room cleared as the locals who’d come to listen to Paul, the InCoSeM rep, left. Odion couldn’t help noticing how much larger the crowd had grown compared to the last time she’d been in one of these meetings. That afternoon, there’d barely been standing room. Paul’s message was spreading, and people were coming in droves to listen to him talk.

Isokun was one of the last two people to leave. There was one other man there.

Odion frowned watching him.

He had on a simple black coat which concealed his body, and a black hat which he had tilted down and forward. In addition to all of that, he also stood with his head bent, making it impossible for anyone to see his face.

As soon as the room cleared, the mysterious man walked towards the front of the room, keeping his head bent the entire time.

Odion moved closer to Paul and Isokun.

“…it is the right thing to do.” Paul concluded as Odion stopped besides him.

Isokun shook his head. He looked around the room nervously as if he was worried about getting caught speaking with Paul.

“It’s the ancestry.” Isokun stated. “You can’t win against them.” There was a tremble in his voice.

Paul’s attention moved from Isokun to the man dressed in all black, approaching them. He waited till the man stopped, standing still a few feet behind Isokun. And then he asked, “What do you think?”

Isokun, noticing that Paul was no longer talking to him, whirled around and came face to face with the stranger.

Isokun gasped.

He took a step back, his mouth hanging open with shock.

Odion couldn’t imagine what caused Isokun’s reaction until she shifted slightly to her left. The man dressed in all black had finally risen his head. The man slowly lifted his hand to his head, and took off the hat, revealing his identity.

Odion felt as if she should be more shocked by his presence there.

“Menovie.” Isokun greeted, bowing lowly to the unmasked obo.

Omoruyi smiled at Isokun. He gestured with his hands for Isokun to stand to his full height. Isokun obeyed.

The shock was evident in Isokun’s face as he said, “it is a surprise to see you here, menovie.”

“Don’t worry, you still have the clan’s trust. They didn’t send me here in your place.” Omoruyi teased.

Isokun’s eyes widened. He stared with shock at Omoruyi. Then his attention zoomed over to Paul who’d begun chuckling.

“Yes, Isokun, I know. Omoruyi told me about the clan’s plan to use you as a spy, as hope for the people.” Paul smiled and then nodded in greeting towards Omoruyi. Omoruyi nodded back.

Isokun’s shock increased. “It was you, wasn’t it?” He asked. “It was you who told them about the reserves of pure elements.” Isokun frowned. “But why would you do such a thing? Why would you betray your own family?”

Omoruyi’s face turned sad. He shook his head as he responded to Isokun. “There is nothing in my family worth being loyal to.” He stated resignedly. “Paul is right.” Omoruyi confessed. “The ancestry is a lie.”

Isokun’s mouth hung open. He turned from Omoruyi to Paul, who stood still, patiently listening to everything Omoruyi had to say with a gentle smile on his face.

“But it can’t be.” Isokun stated.

“The ancestry is doomed Isokun.” Omoruyi said in response. “Doomed. InCoSeM will win, InCoSeM is more powerful than the ancestry, and I refuse to sacrifice my life protecting a lie. No, I stand with Paul, with InCoSeM, with the people.”

Isokun frowned. “You do?” he asked, his voice heavy with disbelief.

Omoruyi nodded as Paul said, “And in return, we will spare the lives of his brother and his brother’s family. We could do the same for you too Isokun. Do what we ask of you, and we will spare Efua. InCoSeM is not here for meaningless bloodshed, we are here to help, to give the people what they want. You saw them today Isokun, you saw them in their numbers. Do they look like they are being forced to be here? Do they?”

Isokun shook his head slowly.

“It is pure insanity, that a few people should have the right to decide the fate of so many who are against their rule. The people have a voice and I am here to return it to them. I have played my part Isokun, the rest is up to you. Who will you side with? What will history remember you as? The man who served a dictatorship, or the man who liberated his people? Who are you, Isokun? Will your children grow up to feel pride when they hear your name mentioned, or slink back in shame? Only you can decide.” After saying that, Paul put his hand on Isokun’s shoulder, squeezed his shoulder lightly, and then walked away, leaving Isokun and Omoruyi alone.

Isokun waited the token seconds to give Paul time to leave, before he turned fully to face Omoruyi. “What is this?” Isokun demanded. “What new ploy has the clan planned?”

Omoruyi shook his head gravely. “I’m afraid this isn’t a ploy.” Omoruyi’s eyes were filled with fear as he looked at Isokun. “Can I trust you?” he asked desperately. “Will you swear not to tell the clan of this?”

Isokun’s lips parted, but no words came out.

Omoruyi’s voice shook as he said, “I’d hoped that I could rely on you. I have to protect myself Isokun. I don’t want to die.”

Isokun blinked. “Then you truly believe that InCoSeM could win?”

Omoruyi nodded. “The ancestry doesn’t stand a chance.” Omoruyi replied. “And anyone who stands with the ancestry will die.”

“Efua will die?” Isokun asked.

Omoruyi nodded. “If you don’t do what Paul asks, Efua will die with the rest of them. How much do you care about her?”

“More than I care about my own life.” Isokun stated. “I love her.”

“What about your wife, and your children?” Omoruyi asked.

“I was young when I married. If I had known Efua would come along…” Isokun cut himself off. “I would do anything to protect her.”

“Then do what Paul says.” Omoruyi stated.

“He wants me to burn the place down.” Isokun confessed. “He wants me to destroy your ancestral grounds and, with it, everyone in the ancestry. I don’t know if I can do it.”

Omoruyi nodded as if in commiseration. “I cannot make that decision for you. All I can tell you is that InCoSeM will win. I know what the ancestry is capable of, and I know we cannot withstand what InCoSeM has planned. InCoSeM has armies of exceptionally trained quintises, unbelievably perceptive spotters, stunningly accurate fire-doily throwers, fearless wielders, and so much more. The ancestry has nothing. The only choice you can make Isokun is whether or not Efua goes down with the rest. It’s either you burn down the ancestral grounds, or InCoSeM’s armies do it. Either ways, the ancestry dies.”

“The ancestry cannot win.” Isokun stated in acceptance.

“The ancestry cannot win.” Omoruyi confirmed.

“Then I must do what I must to save Efua.” Said Isokun.

“As I have done to protect my brother’s family.” Omoruyi added.

Isokun exhaled. He didn’t smile, but his facial features relaxed. “What would I do without your advice?” Isokun asked. “You are a better friend than I deserve.”

Omoruyi smiled kindly at Isokun. “You give me too much credit.” He said in reply.

Isokun bowed deeply to Omoruyi and left the room.

Omoruyi’s smile went away. He crossed his arms over his chest and remained in his position, as if he was waiting for someone to show up.

Paul walked back into the room.

“He will do it.” Omoruyi announced.

Paul smiled.

“I kept my part of the bargain. Will you keep yours?” he asked.

Paul nodded. “I cannot make any guarantees Omoruyi. They hate all ancestries, they may not choose to spare you.”

“An audience is all I seek.” Omoruyi stated.

“Then an audience you will receive.” Paul replied. “An hour before the fire goes off, we will come to take you and your brother’s family to safety. You will meet with The Corona then.”

Omoruyi smiled. He stretched out his hand saying, “thank you.”

Paul grabbed onto Omoruyi’s hand, and they shook on it. Then Paul nodded at him and walked out. Omoruyi followed.

Odion followed him. As she followed Omoruyi out the door, her mind reeled from everything she’d just heard. Despite her personal feelings about her uncle, she’d always thought of him as an ancestry man. He’d seemed like the type to die fighting for the Enikaro’s power. It didn’t make any sense to her that he would sacrifice the power of the Enikaro for a meeting with The Corona. The Corona was the ruling council of InCoSeM. It was a group made up of elected members, drawn from the most prominent InCoSeM countries. Odion couldn’t think of any reason why Omoruyi would want to meet with them so badly, he’d sacrifice the ancestry for it.

Odion was so preoccupied with her thoughts that she almost missed the figure lurking in the trees in the forest which surrounded the building they’d just walked out of.

Omoruyi formed a dark mist, oblivious to the person in the trees, and teleported out. The person in the trees came forward then. It was an older man. Odion identified him as Ekuase, the God-born’s trusted confidant. Ekuase’s eyes were golden as he walked closer to where Omoruyi had been. He stopped right by Odion, on the spot Omoruyi had stood only minutes ago.

“Traitor.” Ekuase said. And then he spat on the floor where Omoruyi had stood. “I will not let you burn down the ancestry.” And then Ekuase took off, running as fast as he could in his mark.

Odion summoned her apparition.

She was taken back to the ancestral grounds.

Ekuase was storming through rooms and running along walkways, in a sort of determined frenzy. He latched onto the arm of every ancestry guard he walked past, asking the same thing: “where is the God-born?” None of them seemed to know. Each time Ekuase would swear at the guard for their ignorance and then he’d storm off.

Ekuase walked past yet another endless corridor, down a spiral staircase on the outside of yet another marbled building, and Odion followed, only partially paying attention to him. Her mind was still on the meeting and everything she’d heard, starting with Omoruyi convincing Isokun to betray the ancestry, and then Omoruyi asking to speak with The Corona. That was the part that bothered her. Why would Omoruyi do all of this just to speak with The Corona? Maybe he really believed that the ancestry was doomed.

Sadly, with this vision, Odion was finally getting close to putting all the pieces together. She was starting to understand the chain of events that led to the fate of the ancestry, which she’d been shown in one of her first visions. She could still remember that one. She remembered Efua running towards what Odion now knew was the ancestral grounds. She remembered Isokun chasing her. And Odion remembered the way Nature’s voices called Isokun’s name. The sound repeated in her mind again. The ominous voices had frightened her the first time she’d heard it, but now that she knew why and what they meant, the voices were like music to her ears.

Odion stopped walking.

She’d been so consumed by her thoughts that she hadn’t been paying attention to her changing surroundings. Now she couldn’t look away. She was mesmerized. She’d always known the ancestry was wealthy, but she hadn’t known just how wealthy.

They stood in front of a two-story mansion made out of glass and dazzling blue marble. There was a small forest behind them, encircling the house and marking the boundaries of the compound. Odion looked to the side and saw a smaller version of the bolokhon field she’d seen in her previous vision, the one of the day her parents met.

Odion didn’t know whose house it was, but she imagined it was the God-born’s because of how expensive it looked.

Odion’s perusal of the house continued. She frowned as she studied the modern architectural design. This was the kind of house that the abaci in her world built. This was the kind of house only the wealthiest of them could afford. It seemed somewhat anachronistic in this vision. Odion realized that she’d fallen into thinking of this time as much older than it actually was. This was her own lifetime, she reminded herself, of course things couldn’t have changed that much in only two decades. But it had changed a lot, the rest of the community had changed a lot.

Ekuase stormed into the house and Odion followed.

Where were the guards? She wondered. All the times she’d seen her grandmother, she’d rarely ever seen her without her ancestry guards. So why wouldn’t they be protecting her home? She asked herself all of this as she walked into the entry of the house. Ekuase pushed open the glass door and walked in.

Odion’s mouth hung open. And she’d thought it was something from the outside!

The house had a somewhat open design. There was a large pool in the middle of the house. The pool had the most natural looking waterfall in the middle. The waterfall sprung from the top of a mountain of tall glittering rocks. The mountain went all the way up to the base of the second floor. Odion stared at it, trying to figure out how it had been made to look so real. There was a wooden bridge connecting from the second floor of the mansion, to the top of that waterfall. There was also a clear tubed twisting slide, which connected from the other side of the second floor, all the way down to the pool. Was that a rainbow? Odion’s eyes widened at the light-trick. Wow! She thought as her gaze continued to scan the mansion.

Then the hall filled with the sound of rocks sliding.

Odion’s attention went back to the pool, and the rock mountain within it. She could tell that something had changed, but she couldn’t tell exactly what it was, until she heard a woman’s voice giggling and a man chuckling behind her.

“I wish everyday could be like this Uyi.” The woman said.

Out of the corner of her eye, Odion noticed the clenching of Ekuase’s jaw, and the slight change in his stance. It was as if he was preparing himself for a fight.

Odion didn’t have to wait too long to find out why.

A couple came walking through the waterfall. It was obvious that they’d been inside the rocky mountain thing, which only spiked Odion’s interest to see within it. When they came out through the waterfall, her eyes widened. They were both stark Unclad.

Odion recognized them immediately. It was Uwa, and her uncle Omoruyi. This wasn’t the God-born’s mansion. It was Omoruyi’s, she thought, as Uwa turned around to face the rest of the room.

Uwa froze.

“Father!” she squealed, draping her arms over her body to cover her more private parts.

Ekuase’s face was filled with scorn. He glared at his daughter for ten seconds, Odion counted, and then he dismissed her, turning his attention to Omoruyi.

Uwa ran out of the pool, as Omoruyi stared back at her father, Unclad and unashamed.

Odion kept her gaze on his face.

“Put some clothes on.” Ekuase snapped.

Omoruyi’s eyebrows lifted. He frowned at Ekuase, and then shook his head. “I’m in too good of a mood to let you dampen my spirits old man.”

“How dare you?” Ekuase yelled. “How long has this been going on?”

“What?” Omoruyi asked, moving closer towards them.

“This, with my daughter.” Ekuase demanded enraged.

Omoruyi shrugged. “Are you going to pretend that you didn’t know? After all the ancestry functions we’ve attended together?”

“I thought you were an honorable man.” Ekuase yelled. His eyes flashed golden as he spat the words out. “I thought your intentions were good. But this is not how an honorable man treats a lady.”

Omoruyi remained quiet. He silently walked out of the pool, passed Ekuase, and towards a wooden wall. He turned his back on the room as he replied, “Your daughter is not a lady.”

Ekuase’s control seemed to snap, because his eyes turned fully golden. He launched himself in the air towards Omoruyi.

Omoruyi had been expecting it. He spun around just as Ekuase landed in front of him. Omoruyi had a long sword in his hand. He put the sharp tip of the sword against Ekuase’s chest and pushed lightly when Ekuase made to move closer. Ekuase stopped, but his eyes remained golden.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by StLukesLAG: 12:40am On Jan 07
“Traitor.” Ekuase snapped. Eyeing the sword derisively. “How much did it take to buy your loyalty? Was this weapon part of the deal? You even flaunt your relationship with InCoSeM. Your mother will be so ashamed when she learns what you really are.”

Omoruyi pushed the blade a little deeper as Uwa ran into the living room.

“Please.” She begged, latching onto Omoruyi’s arm and pulling the blade back.

Omoruyi’s eyes turned red.

Uwa screamed, falling to her knees on the floor by him.

“Is this how you treat a woman?” Ekuase screamed. “What kind of man are you?”

“That’s enough from you!” Omoruyi snapped. “I am menovie, you and your daughter are nothing compared to me. I could have you killed for coming into my house uninvited. Now get out before I decide that I really want to kill you.”

“I came here to give you the chance to explain, to justify what I heard you say to Isokun and to Paul, at that meeting. But now that I know…”

Ekuase wasn’t given the chance to finish. Omoruyi ran the sword through Ekuase’s chest before the last words came out of his mouth. Omoruyi pulled the sword out. Ekuase dropped to the floor, dead.

Uwa screamed.

“Shut up!” Omoruyi yelled at her.

Uwa was mindless. “Father!” she screamed, crawling to get to his body.

Omoruyi sighed. He grabbed onto her by the back of her neck and pulled her back.

Uwa’s eyes were golden as she rose to her feet on the floor.

Omoruyi had the blade’s tip against her chest before she could take another step towards him. “I really don’t want to kill you, but I will. I am too close to everything I’ve ever wanted to let you or your father ruin it. A few more days, a week at most, and everything will fall into place. Not only will I ‘catch’ Isokun in the act of trying to destroy the ancestry, and by so doing, make Efua look like the fool she was for trusting him. I will also have The Corona. Unlike my mother, I will not beat around the bush. I will slay my enemies, caught off the serpent’s head. In one single strike, I will end InCoSeM and prove once and for all, the invincibility of the Enikaro. The elements will name me Uhonmon. I will be my people’s redemption. Everything is going exactly as I want it to. And you, my pretty Uwa, will not get in the way.”

The gold slowly faded from Uwa’s eyes.

“Good girl.” Omoruyi praised. Slowly, he lifted his hand to her face, put down his sword, and pulled her closer. “I’m sorry I had to kill your father. He would not have been able to understand what I did. He sees things in black and white, people like him cannot compromise. Not like people like you and me. You are your father’s legacy.” Omoruyi stated, looking into Uwa’s crying eyes. “His blood. When I succeed, you will see all his dreams come true. You will make his bloodline part of the Enikaro.”

Uwa’s tear-filled eyes widened. “You will marry me?” she asked, shocked.

Omoruyi frowned at her. “Marry you?” he asked in reply, seemingly confused by her question. “No, not me. When I am uhonmon, I will marry you off to an obo, an Enikaro prince.” Uwa’s lips trembled as the tears came streaming down her face with more force. “Don’t do that.” Omoruyi tsked. “If I was going to marry you, I would have done it already.”

“Why not? I thought you loved me.” Uwa asked.

Odion’s gaze went from Ekuase’s body, to Uwa’s face. Her father hadn’t even been dead an hour and she was thinking about marrying the man who killed him. Odion was disgusted. Her uncle deserved better. Odion frowned. Where did that thought come from? Now that she knew why Omoruyi did what he did, she was relieved. It was obvious Efua’s plan wasn’t working, and the God-born’s wasn’t either. Someone had to do something, someone had to stop InCoSeM, and Omoruyi seemed like the only person willing to do the job. Odion didn’t care how many people he killed and how many people he lied to, to get the job done, as long as he did. Odion was excited at the prospect of seeing InCoSeM blood flow. Odion shook her head. No, she thought, no, no, no, she didn’t want that. Why was she thinking that? Who was this other person in her head? No, she hated Omoruyi. Omoruyi was wrong. Omoruyi was heartless. How could he just kill Ekuase like that? And for what? Odion already knew how it would end. She’d already seen it.

“I am of the Enikaro.” Omoruyi stated in response to Uwa’s question. “We believe in the sanctity of marriage. We know that finding a partner who satisfies the oath our ancestors swore to Duraya is a gift, one we treasure for as long as we live. I could never remain faithful to one woman, and anything less in an Enikaro marriage is an affront to Duraya. Don’t worry Uwa, it will be hard, but when the time comes, I will give you up. You deserve to have your bloodline in the Enikaro. It just won’t be with me.”

Uwa’s mouth hung open in shock. “But I love you.” Uwa said. Omoruyi was starting to get impatient. “Why are you doing all of this? What is the point of fighting so hard for the Enikaro if you don’t plan to procreate?”

“I don’t need to procreate. I already have my legacy. Four strong Ehizokhae children.”

“It is your fault that they were cast out of ancestral grounds. You almost had the girls killed!” Uwa yelled.

“I thought Itohan cheated on my brother, I thought she’d been unfaithful. I believed the girls weren’t his. My brother deserved better than a non-ancestry taint. Maybe my hatred for her colored my views. Maybe I was blinded by it. But I was wrong. There is more of me in Oni than any of the others. Those girls are Ehizokhaes and I will make it up to them. I will adopt them all. I will make sure their rights are restored to them. They will rejoin the Enikaro. Everything I do now, I do for them.”

“You love them, don’t you?” Uwa’s voice was filled with disbelief.

“What is love? Love is a paltry emotion made for poets and fools. I don’t love them, I am devoted to them. There is a force in Ehizokhae blood. It is strong. It knows its own. It is an instinct that pulls you to care for, to protect, to die for family. Love is a meaningless word compared to the compulsion that is our blood. There is nothing I will not do for my family.”

Uwa was speechless.

Omoruyi let go of her.

Odion couldn’t help looking at him with new eyes. She turned her attention to Uwa and saw that she wasn’t the only one looking at Omoruyi with new eyes. There was fear in Uwa’s eyes, an overpowering amount of fear as her attention finally went back to her father’s dead body. But there was something else in her eyes. There was hatred. Odion sighed looking at it. She wished she could reach out to her uncle and remind him of the famous adage, ‘hell hath no fury’. That thought surprised her, because it was a protective instinct. She wanted to protect Omoruyi. Odion knew she was losing herself, or at least the person she’d come to think of as her. That angry eight-year-old girl was rising to take her place. The one intent on vengeance. And Omoruyi was right, that girl was more like him than anyone else in their family.

Odion felt the gentle stirring of her apparition, right as Omoruyi picked up a necklace which had the same carvings as the one the God-born had used to summon Ekuase and the ancestry guards to Ejehmen’s house. “My house.” She heard him say, as she walked into the apparition. “I have found the mole.” He added, glancing towards Ekuase’s body.

The last thing Odion saw before her apparition took her away, was the look of resentment in Uwa’s eyes.

Odion was led to another, more familiar, part of ancestral grounds. The God-born stood alone, on a balcony, much similar to the one Efua had been standing on the day that Odion and Akhere were born. The God-born had a grim look on her face as she watched the people in the fields beneath her. Odion looked down.

There was a mass of fighters, and from the clothing they wore, she could tell that they were all mixed between ancestry and Enikaro. Close to one edge of the field, there were people fighting with interesting looking wooden blades. They looked more like cutlasses than swords, but the blades were a lot longer than a typical cutlass. Odion could tell that they were skilled. They dodged, spun, attacked, all with an ease that she could only marvel at. There didn’t seem to be any rhythm to the fight. It wasn’t a typical one-on-one spar. In some spots there were just two people fighting, in others there were groups fighting, and some parts had a block of ten people all facing one in the middle. Odion had never seen anything like the way the soldiers trained.

Off to another side of the field, there were people with brands on their backs, fighting with whips. Those brands were folklore. Wielders. There was a kind of mesmerizing beauty in the way their bodies swayed in line to the whips they wielded. One in particular caught her interest. She noticed that the wielders fought differently from the ones with the blades. They faced off in groups of three. Two groups of three fought each other, and the rest of them simply watched. In each group, there was a fighter with a long single-tail whip, one with a long whip that started off as single-tailed until the tip, were it broke off into many smaller shreds with metal balls at the edge, and the last fought with two short whips. Something interesting happened, as the man with two small whips attacked an opponent. The man flicked his wrist and the whip turned into a cane-like structure made of intertwined wires. Odion found it fascinating.

She wanted to join them. To jump down and train with them, to fight with them.

The sound of approaching footsteps broke Odion’s fixation with the fights. She turned to her right.

“Good afternoon menoba.” Efua greeted, curtsying deeply.

The God-born managed a distracted smile for her, before turning her attention back to the fighting.

“Do they train on your orders?” Efua asked gently.

The God-born sighed. “Yes.” She said. “We have tried doing things your way, and it is only getting worse. I’m afraid it is time to fight back.”

Efua’s face fell. She turned to the field and watched solemnly.

Odion noticed a fireball being thrown in the air. Before she could follow the direction it had come from, to the person throwing it, Efua spoke up.

“The bridge of Kohini has been erected. It is ready for you, menoba.”

The God-born’s face lit up with hope. She smiled at Efua. “Well done my daughter. Lead the way.”

Efua curtsied. She turned around and began walking. They walked all the way around the balcony, to the other side of the building, and then Efua stopped in front of a white door. She held the door open for the God-born to precede her. The God-born walked through first, and then Efua followed. Odion walked in behind them and was surprised when she was surrounded by darkness. She could hear their footsteps in front of her and so she moved forward and almost tripped on the stairs. Odion reached out for a railing and grabbed onto it for dear life as she supported herself, walking through the unlit stairway. It felt like the journey from hell, as they continued to descend in total darkness and silence. Until finally, Odion heard the sound of stone on stone. Light shone from below as the God-born walked into a room only a few steps away. Itohan followed. As did Odion.

Odion recognized this place. This was where the God-born had come to pray to Duraya the day she’d taught Oni how to activate the totem.

They walked passed the pools of blue water and the grey rock surrounding it, all the way to the raised dais.

Efua didn’t climb.

The God-born did.

“You must give an offering of your blood and then say who you are, menoba.” Efua instructed.

The God-born nodded without turning around.

She pulled out a knife from within the folds of her velvet cloak and tore open her flesh. As her blood dropped into the pool of water in the bowl formed by the multicolored rocks, she intoned. “I am Ehizokhae one, the God-born, daughter of Duraya, Nature’s own, Uhonmon the first, Omoye.”

As soon as the last words left her mouth, she was gone.

And then she was back.

Odion didn’t know if it only seemed like it had been instantaneous because she was in her vision. She already knew that in the visions, her apparition could skew time, making things happen faster if it wanted. Odion didn’t know what or why, just that the God-born was back.

The God-born’s eyes were wide with shock.

She took a step forward and then fell, falling on her knees on the white dais.

Efua ran up to help her. She knelt by the God-born and asked, “What is it menoba?”

The God-born’s gaze seemed a little unfocussed as she stared at Efua. “It is so much more than we thought.” She said, her eyes still staring blankly. “A big sacrifice must be made for the greater good.”

“What sacrifice menoba?” Efua asked. “Menoba?” Efua repeated, shaking the God-born lightly.

The God-born snapped out of it. She turned to Efua and then she smiled. It was a small smile at first and then the smile spread, taking over her entire face. “She wasn’t cursed.” The God-born stated.

Efua frowned. “I don’t understand.” She said in reply.

“My grand-daughter, Akhere, she wasn’t a curse, she was a gift. Her mark was to be passed down to her daughter. The girl was to be a gift from Duraya to the Enikaro. She was to be pure-blue. An augur and a witch, completely unspoiled by the ferocity of the commune mark.”

“A bi-marked warlock born to the Enikaro. It has never happened before.” Efua stated amazed. “She will be powerful.”

“No.” the God-born shook her head. “She was to be powerful. She was to be a bi-marked warlock. But that was before. Now everything has changed. She will not merely be powerful. She will be an Ehizokhae tri-marked warlock. She will be unstoppable.”

“A tri-marked warlock!” Efua exclaimed. “Is such a thing even possible?”

The God-born merely smiled at Efua. There was something in her eyes, an undercurrent of sadness that Odion couldn’t understand.

“Ejehmen and his family must be made to move back to ancestral grounds.” Efua said. “Akhere must be protected.” Efua dropped to her knees in front of the God-born. “Forgive me menoba, for the part I played in casting them out.”

The God-born pulled Efua to her feet. “No.” she said, admonishing her slightly. “You did what you thought was best. You have nothing to apologize for. Now we know. Now we can bring them back.”

As Efua rose to her feet, the wall opposite them parted. A leather clad young boy ran in. He fell to his knees in front of the God-born.

“What is it?” the God-born asked.

“Ekuase is dead menoba.” The boy replied. “He was the mole. Your son killed him.”

The God-born’s facial features tightened. “Ekuase couldn’t have been the mole.” She whispered. “He’s dead?” she asked.

The boy nodded.

“Take me to him.” The God-born ordered.

The boy rose from his feet.

“I’m sorry for your loss.” Efua said, as they prepared to leave. “Ekuase was a good advisor.”

“He was more than just an advisor.” The God-born replied. “He was my friend.”

Efua nodded.

The God-born walked towards the door.

Then she stopped by the open wall. “Efua.” She called out.

“Yes menoba.” Efua replied.

“Stop the trainings.” She ordered.

Efua frowned. “Menoba?”

The God-born smiled sadly. “I spoke with my ancestors, the Ehizokhae twins. War is not Duraya’s will. You were right. We will not fight them. We will not slaughter our own people.”

After saying that the God-born left, leaving a stunned Efua behind.

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD2: 12:59am On Jan 07
Please ignore the different accounts. I ran into some anti-spam ban issues in trying to post the chapter.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 9:12am On Jan 07
obehiD2:
Please ignore the different accounts. I ran into some anti-spam ban issues in trying to post the chapter.

fixed!
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by tunjilomo(m): 11:59am On Jan 07
�. Let's just say our shy, little, beautiful Osezele is the cornerstone upon which the God born placed all her hope and that of the ancestry. �.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 10:07pm On Jan 07
wow obehiD you had this planned out, uyi is now remorseful for what he did, he never trusted his brother's wife. and can you explain the bridge of Kohini very well
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 3:46am On Jan 08
This never stops, the suspense, the unexpected turn of events. Obehid it is good being back after a long unplanned sabatical leave smiley . I am impressed with omoruyi's action although it is a coward's way, he still does things for family sake.

I am beyond impressed with the way you explain things to your reader's digest. Thanks obehid happy New year my friend
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 7:02am On Jan 09
@tunjilomo I know right, no pressure Osezele...though, it may not all be on her...

@Peaceyw Yes, I was really excited about Omoruyi's twist. It's not over yet though. The bridge of kohini is a one-way bridge to another existence. Right now, the bridge isn't really a main plot theme. So, all you need to know about it is that the God-born is able to use it to talk to people in the supreme existence (her ancestors in Nature). Later though, the bridge of Kohini will be more instrumental to the overall story line.

@Fazemood is back! Welcome back from your unplanned sabbatical grin. Thank you, and happy new year to you too!!
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by MhisTahrah: 8:16am On Jan 09
Thanks for this beautiful update, ObehiD. I remain your greatest fan. tongue

I think omoruyi has some other ulterior motives though, he shouldn't have killed Ekuase just like that.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by phoenixchap: 9:06am On Jan 09
ObehiD come and finish what you started o. Who is this Akhere self abi it my darling Osezele??
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by GeoSilYe(f): 9:41am On Jan 09
phoenixchap:
ObehiD come and finish what you started o. Who is this Akhere self abi it my darling Osezele??

Osezele's Mom?
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 9:57am On Jan 09
MhisTahrah:
Thanks for this beautiful update, ObehiD. I remain your greatest fan. tongue

I think omoruyi has some other ulterior motives though, he shouldn't have killed Ekuase just like that.

when did you come sef that you don turn to greatest fan, abeg go and join the back of the line of the greatest fans.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by MhisTahrah: 1:15pm On Jan 09
Peaceyw:

when did you come sef that you don turn to greatest fan, abeg go and join the back of the line of the greatest fans.
grin grin Okay sir.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by phoenixchap: 5:51pm On Jan 09
GeoSilYe:

Osezele's Mom?

Tri-marked warlock... Its a rare coincidence. And only Osezele has been described as such since the start of this book.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 7:59pm On Jan 09
MhisTahrah:
grin grin Okay sir.
thank you for complying
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 12:01am On Jan 10
@MhisTahrah thank you! Does Omoruyi have ulterior motives...I guess we'll find out soon grin

@phoenixchap GeoSilYe is right, Akhere is Osezele's mum. You're right too, when the God-born was talking about a tri-marked warlock, she was talking about Osezele. So, you may or may not remember this, but when Akhere (Osezele's mum and Odion's twin sister) was born unmarked, her family got kicked out of the ancestral grounds because there had never been an Enikaro child that wasn't either a varmint or a warlock, so they thought that the family (Ejehmen and his wife Itohan specifically) must have done something to displease Duraya. Now though, the God-born is saying that Akhere wasn't born unmarked as a punishment, but as a reward. She was born unmarked because her mark was to be passed down to her daughter (Osezele). So Osezele was supposed to only be bi-marked, but something happened in the supreme existence to make Nature change its mind and decide to make her tri-marked. What happened, we don't know yet. Does that help clarify things?

LOL @Peaceyw

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 11:31pm On Jan 10
Chapter Thirty-six
St. Luke’s, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria

Once every semester St. Luke’s opened its imposing metallic gates to welcome the students’ family members and friends. This day was termed Visiting day. On visiting day, the normal stringent school rules went out the window, and the students were allowed to indulge in delicacies brought in by visitors. It was without doubt, one of the most anticipated days in the entire school calendar.

For the marked students, this particular visiting day took on a whole new level of importance. This was the day that Lami had extoled. She’d held it up to them, raised it on a pedestal, used it as a promise to keep the wolves in line. Only one week, she’d said over and over again, only till Visiting day. And now visiting day was upon them. The warlocks couldn’t wait to go back to their normal schedule of not chaperoning wolves, and the wolves restlessly craved running together with their pack. Visiting day was the promise. They’d all held up their part of the deal, and now it was Lami’s turn to do the same.

Lami was terrified.

Of course she didn’t let it show. She marched along the slabs, snapping at students who she deemed to be in too much of a haste to get to the visiting area. She was her usual caustic self. Looking at her, looking at the confident way in which she strode, the easy way she smiled at her classmates and glared at errant juniors, the natural way she delivered offhand insults, no one would be able to tell just how scared she was. But she was. It wasn’t just about everything with the quintise magic, it was the hope of seeing her sister again. For all the promise that she’d placed on Visiting day for the regular marked, she’d placed so much more on it for herself. If visiting day was the end of the bother for them, it was the end of torture for her, because she was finally going to see her baby sister Moji.

Lami marched up the steps leading to Osezele’s hostel and walked in, ignoring the bustle of students preparing themselves to see their families. She stopped in front of Aishat’s corner and leaned against the solid wooden bunk, watching as her assistant, languidly polished her sandals as if she had all the time in the world.

Aishat’s bunk was only a few bunks away from Osezele’s. Lami turned her attention to the corner Osezele shared with Ngozi. Her lips twitched as she watched Osezele standing in the middle of her corner with her hands on her hips as she talked down to a kneeling Seyi. Seyi opened her mouth to argue and then snapped it shut immediately, without uttering a single word. Lami smiled. This was the version of Osezele that Tolani called Osezele 2.0. And Lami agreed. The girl was a lot different from who’d she’d been before the disaster with the imps. She was more confident, more assertive, with her juniors. When it came to her seniors, that was a whole different ball game. How was she going to get through to her? How could she get her to speak up over her own inherent ideas of respect? Lami knew it was only the first semester, she still had two more before Aishat would officially hand over her post to Osezele, but she worried anyway. What would happen after she left? Would Osezele be able to protect the school? Would Aishat let her? The last thing she wanted for her warlocks was the caustic relationship which she’d recently discovered existed in the werewolves’ pack.

“Lami!” Aishat gasped.

Lami’s attention went back to Aishat. In her shock, Aishat had yelled Lami’s name out so loud that the students in surrounding corners had heard her. The news of Lami’s presence in the hostel begun to spread like wild fire. Her name was being whispered around, from one student to another, from one corner to another.

“Madam, have you finished?” Lami asked Aishat.

Aishat swallowed nervously and then she nodded.

Lami eyed her, letting her eyes roll from the top of Aishat’s head to her feet. “Did you hear the bell?” she demanded.

Aishat nodded again.

“It’s been thirty minutes since Tolani rung that bell for Visiting day and you haven’t even counted. You’d better get off that bed right now and rectify your situation.” Lami hissed. “See as you’re nodding your head like agama lizard.” She added before walking away from Aishat’s corner.

“It is time for Visiting…” Aishat begun to yell as soon as Lami was done talking. “You have till the count of ten to leave the hostel. ONE!”

Lami stopped by Osezele’s corner. Seyi was just about done with straightening her bed. Seyi ran towards the wall of cupboards behind her bunk and opened her little rectangular space. Lami watched as Seyi took out her bottle of white powder and poured a little into her hand. She slapped her hands together, before proceeding to apply the powder to her face. Lami sat on Osezele’s bed, leaning back against the wooden ladder which led up to Seyi’s bunk, as she continued to watch her school-daughter’s preparation. Next Seyi pulled out her Vaseline container and applied a thick layer of oil onto her lips.

“See focus oh. Ah-ah, Lami, wetin you dey watch like this?” Ngozi asked, walking into her corner.

Lami smiled at Ngozi before pursing her lips towards Seyi. Ngozi followed the direction of Lami’s pointed lips and laughed.

That got Seyi’s attention.

Seyi turned around immediately. She saw Lami and Ngozi watching her and ran behind her towel, which hung from the back of her bunk, in a bid to hide her face.

“Why are you hiding now?” Lami asked. “Buddy me,” she teased, calling Seyi the nickname she had for her, which translated to ‘my school-daughter’ “come and yarn me about the boyfriend you’re making up for like this.”

Seyi groaned from behind the towel. Ngozi laughed.

Osezele joined in Ngozi’s laughter as she walked into her corner. She smiled a hurried greeting at Lami as she rushed towards the back of her bunk and combed her hair while throwing some basics into her backpack. She was all too aware of the fact that Aishat was on six. She had absolutely no intention of being in the hostel after Aishat counted ten.

Seyi walked back into the corner. She was so embarrassed she couldn’t meet Ngozi or Lami’s gaze.

“Who are you forming shy-shy for?” Lami asked, putting a little bite in her words.

Seyi rose her head. “Good morning Lami.” She greeted.

Lami winked at her. She got off Osezele’s bed and walked towards Seyi. Lami tipped Seyi’s head up and then wiped off the excess of oil she had around her mouth. “That’s better.” She said smiling.

Seyi beamed. “Thank you.” She said.

“Are you ready to leave?” she asked.

Seyi nodded, reaching up to grab her bag from her bunk.

Lami threw her arm around her school-daughter’s shoulders before turning her full attention to Osezele. The first thing Lami noticed was that Osezele was rushing through her preparations to make sure she was out of the hostel before Aishat was done counting. Lami approved. Sadly, she was about to make life a little bit more difficult for her.

“Osezele.” Lami called out, stopping the SS1 girl mid-preparation.

“Yes Lami.” Osezele replied, moving closer.

“Wait twenty seconds after Aishat is done counting before you leave the hostel.” Lami ordered.

Osezele eyes widened. She shook her head.

Lami almost smiled at the predictable response. If she’d given the order to Tolani, Tolani would have asked ‘why’ before trying to refuse. But when it came to Osezele and disrespecting her elders, her innate response was no. Too bad.

“I like how close we’ve gotten.” Lami stated dryly, in a tone that implied she meant the opposite of what she’d said. “Lately, I tell you to do something, and you say no. Do you notice that you’ve been doing that?”

Something interesting happened as Lami watched. Osezele’s face filled with fear, and then she relaxed, as if she’d willed the fear away. “Please Lami, I can’t.” she said softly.

“Well,” Lami said, “I’m going to be standing outside your hostel. I’ll leave it up to you to choose between disobeying Aishat and disobeying me. And you’d better not use me as an excuse for being late.” After saying that, Lami turned around and walked out of the hostel with her arm draped around a curios Seyi.

Seyi waited till they’d gotten outside the hostel before she turned wide eyes to Lami. “Why d’you ask her to do that?” she asked.

Lami frowned at Seyi as she replied, “It concern you?”

Seyi shook her head and looked away.

Lami waited.

About thirty seconds later, Aishat closed the hostel door. She was done counting.

Another thirty seconds after that, the door opened, and one pissed off Osezele came walking out. She saw Lami, and to Lami’s surprise, she glared at her, for a whole second before she realized what she was doing and wiped the look off her face, making her appear as emotionless as she could pull off.

Osezele walked towards Lami and stopped without saying a word.

Lami smiled.

“I see Aishat didn’t punish you.” Lami remarked. That was unexpected. The last time Lami had seen Aishat and Osezele together, Aishat bad been beating the girl under a mango tree for being rude to her. Lami had no idea what had happened since then to change their relationship, but she was ecstatic that it had. It meant a lot less work for her. She’d have to talk to Aishat of course, make sure she knew why Osezele came out after she counted, but Lami smiled because one part of her job was already done. Aishat wouldn’t stand in Osezele’s way. She just had to focus on re-shaping Osezele’s ideas of seniority and the respect she alluded to it.

Lami turned around and walked away, leaving a stunned Osezele behind.

Visiting day was in full swing. Opposite the basketball court, next to the auditorium and the chapel, the usually empty field was filled with a variety of parked cars. The gates opened at nine o-clock and closed at five. There were parents there, who’d been waiting for close to thirty minutes for the gates to open. Parents who’d travelled from different parts of the country to be there, and who’d rather air on the side of being too early than too late. Those parents would most likely only be there for half of the day. The other half they’d spend travelling back to their homes. It was the local Port-harcourt families that got to take full advantage of the day. Most of them stayed for the full time. There were exceptions to that rule. Parents like Nosa’s, who took the following Monday off work so that they could spend the entire day with their child and then make the long trip back home the next day. Those parents were amongst the first to get there and the last to leave.

Tolani was so excited to introduce Osezele to her parents that she couldn’t stop talking. She was so chatty that Osezele hadn’t been able to get a single word in all through the long walk from their hostels to the visiting area on the other side of the school. That meant that she hadn’t been able to tell Tolani about her encounter with Lami, and the unbelievable thing that Lami had made her do. Osezele could still remember the hurt look on Aishat’s face when she’d walked to the door a good twenty seconds after Aishat counted. She hadn’t been expecting any special treatment, so as soon as she got there and saw the kneeling group of students by the door, she’d made to join them. Aishat hadn’t let her. She’d simply asked why Osezele was late, expecting her to have a good reason. Osezele had had to lie, because Lami expressly told her not to use her name. She’d ended up giving an excuse that she would have punished herself for if she’d been in Aishat’s shoes. Aishat had frowned for a while, and then she’d just told her to go. Before she left, she’d seen the hurt look on Aishat’s face. The last thing Osezele had wanted was to be disrespectful to her, and it was all Lami’s fault.

“Here she is!” Tolani announced, pulling Osezele out of her own head. When had they walked all the way over here? She thought, as Tolani made the introductions.

They were standing close to the edge of the school property. Apparently Tolani’s parents had gotten in very early, because they’d claimed one of the few benches around the visiting area. The bench was a grey slab built to encircle about ten feet of open grass.

Osezele was introduced to Tolani’s father. She didn’t know what she’d expected, but she’d expected more. This was the great reincarnate who’d lived twenty-seven lives? He just looked like a man. He was dressed in a stylish yellow agbada with a matching cap on his head. He was a skinny man, with a clean-shaven face which revealed the lines around his eyes and mouth. He looked young for a father of four. Osezele continued her perusal of the man’s face, up to his eyes.

She gasped.

Tolani’s father chuckled. He stretched out his hand for a handshake saying, “Good morning Osezele. Tolani has told us a lot about you.”

Osezele had to pry her eyes off his. She knew that staring to the degree in which she had, had to be considered rude, but she’d found it so hard to look away. She’d never seen eyes like that. It didn’t even look real.

Osezele curtsied, bending at the knee as she took his hand and shook it. “Good morning sir.” She greeted in return.

“Lani.” A female voice called out from behind them.

Osezele turned around in time to see a woman, dressed in a matching yellow lace dress. The woman was fair, very fair, in comparison to her husband.

“Lani?” Osezele asked, looking at Tolani.

Tolani rolled her eyes.

A little girl in a sunflower dress climbed down from the back of the black range rover parked closest to their bench. She ran over and jumped into Tolani’s arms as the woman in the lace dress came closer.

“Osezele, this is my little sister Tam.”

“Hi.” Tam greeted, clinging to Tolani. She pulled her head out from behind Tolani long enough to say hi to Osezele, and then she went back, hiding behind her sister.

Osezele smiled back at her. “Hello.” She said in reply, to Tolani’s stomach.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 11:33pm On Jan 10
“Don’t mind Tam oh, she’s just so shy.” The woman in the lace dress said. “I’m Lani’s mother, and you must be the famous Osezele that she spent the entire summer break raving about.”

Osezele turned to Tolani smiling widely as Tolani shook her head and rolled her eyes at her mum.

Osezele curtsied. “Good afternoon ma.” She greeted.

“Good afternoon my dear.” She replied, moving closer to hug Osezele. With Osezele within the circle of her arm, she turned to her daughter and said, “Your friend is so courteous.”

“Implying that I’m not?” Tolani asked in reply.

Tam giggled from behind Tolani.

Tolani reached behind her for Tam’s head, and pushed her forward, forcing her to look at Osezele. “Say hi to my friend Tam.” She prompted.

“I already said hi.” Tam bantered.

“Well then say something else.” Tolani rejoined.

Tam turned to Osezele. “Hello.” She said. They all burst out laughing.

Osezele walked over to Tam and bent slightly. “Hello Tam.” She said in reply. “It’s nice to see your face.”

They all laughed again.

“What is Tam short for?” Osezele asked.

“Tambara.” She replied.

“Wow.” Osezele said. “That’s a beautiful name.”

“Thank you.” Tam said, before moving back to her previous position, hiding her face behind her big sister.

Tolani sighed. “That’s the most you’re going to get out of her.” She stated.

Osezele understood. She just smiled in response.

“So, Osezele, is your mother going to be here?” Tolani’s mum asked.

“Yes ma.” Osezele said in reply. “She never misses Visiting day.”

“That’s good.”

“From your reaction to looking at my eyes, I assume you’ve never met another recall?” Tolani’s dad asked.

Osezele knew that recalls were a type of people with the sage mark. She remembered that there were two types of recalls, remems and omems, and that as a reincarnate, Tolani’s father fell into the remem category. She turned back around to face him. “No, I haven’t sir.” she replied.

With the mention of those eyes, Osezele’s gaze went back to them. She couldn’t think of any good way to describe them. The first thing she’d noticed staring at them was that they were all black. Not the way her eyes filled with red when she went into her mark, but all-black in the sense that you couldn’t differentiate the pupil from the iris. They were both the same shade of black. The second thing she noticed was that his pupil and iris filled up much more of his eyes than anyone else she’d ever seen. She couldn’t see white spots above or underneath, which made it look more like black space within rounded lines, than the circular iris she was used to. The last and by far most striking thing was the outer lining of the iris. Around the iris, there was a thin line which had a color she couldn’t name. It was black, but it wasn’t just black, it was a kind of black that seemed to shine off the light it absorbed. Osezele couldn’t think of any other way to describe it, but it was mesmerizing.

“Hello! Hello!” A loud booming voice called out from behind her.

Osezele turned around.

She stopped breathing when she saw him.

And then she remembered they were ‘just friends’ and he’d sided with Binta, his crazy-killer-girlfriend over her. Osezele took a deep breath after that and let it out easily. She smiled at the man and woman walking into the circle carved out by the concrete bench.

The woman was a bit plump. She had one of those smiles that made you want to smile back. The man had a pot belly and a moustache Osezele struggled not to laugh at.

“Is this the Osezele that cost me over ten thousand naira phone credit?” the man’s voice boomed.

Osezele was mortified. Nosa buried his face in his hands and groaned.

The man just kept walking forward. He walked towards Tolani’s father and extended his hand. “Your daughter possessed my son’s holiday.” He said as he shook Tolani’s father’s hand vigorously. “Whenever you see Nosa’s phone ringing and it says Osezele, that’s it, Nosa is gone for the rest of the day.” The man laughed loudly and continued speaking before Tolani’s father could clarify his relationship to Osezele. “I’m telling you this now so that when it comes to wedding time, we can take away the ten thousand naira I’ve already paid from the bride price.”

“Daddy!” Nosa yelled out. He knew he shouldn’t have brought them to her, but they’d been so insistent, and he’d wanted to see her after the way they’d left things the previous day. He should have trusted his instincts.

“Sorry.” Nosa said to Osezele, looking at the grass by her feet. He was too embarrassed to look at her.

“Why are you apologizing?” Nosa’s father asked, letting go of Tolani’s father’s hand and enveloping Osezele in a side hug. “We’ll all be family soon.” He said, and then he burst out laughing.

“Daddy stop now, ah-ah, can’t you see you’re embarrassing them?” Nosa’s mother chastised her husband.

“Mummy, who am I embarrassing?” the man yelled out in reply.

Nosa’s mother just shook her head. She was used to her husband by now. “Where are your friends Nosa? This time I brought more than enough food for the whole werewolf pack. Victor and Elliot no go see mouth to use complain.”

“The mark is supposed to be a secret mummy.” Nosa chastised, shaking his head.

“Which kind secret. But Osezele is…”

“Mum!” Nosa exclaimed, cutting his mother off.

At that point Nosa was wishing for the ground to open up and pull him in. This was why kids shouldn’t be friends with their parents. Nosa told his parents everything. He was their only child, they didn’t have any secrets. He was rethinking that decision though.

“There are marked students in this school?” Tolani’s father asked, turning to stare accusingly at Tolani.

“Ah-ah, how will you not know your own daughter…”

“She’s not my daughter.” He stated. He narrowed his eyes at Tolani. Tolani begun to join Nosa in wishing the ground would open up and swallow her. “Tolani is.”

“Oh!” Nosa’s dad yelled. “Oh, I’m sorry sir.”

Nosa shook his head.

“And who is Tolani?” Nosa’s father asked.

“She’s Osezele’s best friend.” Nosa replied.

“You know, I have an identity, other than Osezele’s best friend.” Tolani stated.

“Tolani Olatunji!” Tolani’s mother snapped. “There’s no need to be so rude.”

“You know what we need?” Nosa’s mother called out. “Some of my special ofada rice. Go and call your friends Nosa, tell them to come here, and we can all eat, and clarify these issues with Tolani’s parents. Tell Elliot that I cooked isi ewu specially for him.”

The woman’s words were greeted by a very heavy silence.

“What is it?” Nosa’s father belted out, his arm still around Osezele.

Nosa was quiet. Tolani seemed to have lost her voice. Osezele remembered that they’d both been so much closer to Elliot than she was. She heard herself saying, “He left the school.” Before she’d fully processed the words.

Both Nosa and Tolani’s eyes flew over to her.

“He left the school?” Nosa’s mum asked. “Why?”

Again, Nosa and Tolani remained quiet. “His parents found a school for him in Abuja.” Osezele lied. She didn’t realize what she was saying until she’d said it. But her instincts told her to lie. The last thing they needed was having parents worry about the quintise magic.

“Eya.” Nosa’s mum said. “Chai. You must really miss him Nosa, the two of you were so close.”

Nosa had to swallow down the grief. He sniffed and then nodded.

“But Victor is still here?” she asked.

Nosa nodded again.

“Oya go and call the rest of them, let me go and bring the food. Daddy, come oh, the food is too much to carry. You will help me drive the car closer.” After saying that, Nosa’s mum left.

“It’s good to finally meet you, Osezele!” Nosa’s dad yelled as he followed after his wife.

There was a moment of silence after they left where Tolani’s parent glared at her and she did her best to look at anything other than them, which of course increased her compulsion to look at them, until she snapped, saying, “It wasn’t my secret to tell.”

“You know enough about children with hidden marks, to know that I would never want you in a school with…” Tolani’s father began.

“Darling.” Tolani’s mother said, cutting him off. She looked pointedly at Osezele, and then back at him, before saying, “I’m sure we can talk about this later.” She turned to Osezele and smiled.

Osezele smiled back and then awkwardly looked away.

At that point, Osezele was praying for anything, any excuse to leave the family to what was obviously a very pressing personal debate, one she didn’t want any part of. Going to look for her mother would be a good excuse, but she knew her mother wasn’t there yet. She’d always had a weird sixth-sense about when her mother arrived during visiting. Now that she knew about her elemental mark and how Seli communicated with the elements, she wondered if anything she’d just known or just done was instinct, or if it was informed by the elements. She didn’t know.

“Mojisola!” Tolani screamed.

Osezele turned around. “Uncle Ehi!” she yelled out, running towards the big man with the military bearing. She threw herself on him, hugging him the same way she would have his brother.

Ehi wasn’t sure what to do. He knew it would be rude to pull her off him, but he wasn’t exactly keen on the idea of her having her hands around him. Standing there, Ehi realized that he’d never really been hugged by anyone other than his mother, and that had been a very long time ago. His sister, Ose, didn’t do hugs. In a bid to escape looking down at the child with her arms around him, he looked up at the people around them. The woman smiled at him, the man didn’t.

Both men stared at each other with the eyes of people who were very well acquainted, and then looked away before their recognition was caught.

“Let’s go and find Lami!” Tolani screamed, pulling Moji with her, as she turned around and muttered some excuses to her parents. Tolani was so relieved to have an excuse to evade the discussion they wanted to have that she didn’t even give Moji the chance to say hello to Osezele.

Politeness be damned, Ehi had had enough. No matter what she said, he was not her uncle. Ehi grabbed onto her hand and gently, but forcefully, pushed Osezele back.

“We need to talk.” He said to her.

Right as he spoke, Tolani’s mother moved forward. “Good morning sir.” She greeted. “I’m Theresa Olatunji, Tolani’s mother. We’ve just been getting acquainted with your niece…”

“She’s not my niece.” Ehi was quick to point out. A little too quick, by the look of confusion on the woman’s face. “Family friends.” He added, hesitantly.

Tolani’s father’s eyes widened in awe and shock. He looked between Ehi and the girl he held at arm’s length. “Her family friend?” he asked. If the other participants in the conversation heard the stress he put on the word ‘her’ their facial features didn’t show it.

Ehi nodded curtly.

Tolani’s father put two and two together. “My God!” he gasped. Staring with his mouth agape at Osezele. Osezele didn’t notice.

Ehi frowned at him. “Please excuse us.” He said, as he begun to move, pulling Osezele along with him. Ehi kept his ear on the conversation and so he heard when Tolani’s mother asked why he’d gasped. Before Tolani’s father could reply, Ehi turned around.

His eyes met Tolani’s father’s.

He frowned at him.

Tolani’s father shook his head.

Ehi’s eyes narrowed. He kept that look for a long pause, and then he turned around, accepting the promise in Tolani’s father’s expressions.

Ehi walked away.

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by sampz: 8:17am On Jan 11
very long..buh too short
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by AmaUwana(f): 8:24am On Jan 11
Nosa's father can talk oh
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by GeoSilYe(f): 9:07am On Jan 11
Eeyah I actually felt bad in Elliot's part.

I hope Akhere visits tho because we haven't read about her for a while now.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 6:45pm On Jan 11
so tolani's dad knows ehi, can't wait for that story

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

I Am Done With Honorary Awards, Says Soyinka / Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer / The Pain Of Pleasure - A Must Read For Every Lady And Her Boyfriend.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 569
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.