₦airaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,164,401 members, 4,716,046 topics. Date: Thursday, 24 January 2019 at 12:16 PM

The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book - Literature (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book (16478 Views)

TÉLLÀ ( A Paranormal Story) / Grabbing The Hot Gate ( A Paranormal Novel) By Akintayo Akinjide / The Marked 2: White Sight. A Nigerian Fantastical Fiction Book. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by phoenixchap: 11:23pm On Jan 11
Lani's Dad is a recall 27 Lives had be lead by him so hr must know a thing or must have his observation about Ehi... And guess Ehi also know his cover has been busted I just don't know why I'm feeling like Oliver Twist always asking for more..
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 1:11am On Jan 12
This isn't what I expected the visitation to be like. It is so sensitive for comfort
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by LightQueen(f): 8:53am On Jan 12
Fazemood:
This isn't what I expected the visitation to be like. It is so sensitive for comfort
sad sad
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 10:47am On Jan 12
LightQueen:
sad sad
Hi your majesty � .
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by LightQueen(f): 11:16am On Jan 12
Fazemood:
Hi your majesty � .
Good morning
You disappear again sad
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 10:24pm On Jan 12
obehiD you are sighted

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 10:45pm On Jan 12
@sampz haha, thank you. Don't worry, the next chapter is coming out Monday morning

@AmaUwana I know. I could feel Nosa's pain when the man just kept talking hahaha grin

@GeoSilYe Yeah, and Nosa's mum cooked specially for him oh. Really sad cry...thinking about Akhere, I don't think she's been in the story (as an adult) since the first book.

@Peaceyw yes, he does. That story is going to be told in parts. It'll all be explained closer to the end. But, spoiler alert, pieces of it have already been revealed in the book so far.

@phoenixchap yeah, in his 27 lives he has definitely come across some things. Has Ehi's cover been busted though...I guess we'll find out. Oliver twist lol, thank you for the continuing interest!

@Fazemood Haha! What did you expect? Please help me understand so I can compare notes. Maybe this is something I should look into grin. But the visiting day isn't over yet though wink

lol @Peaceyw, yes oh, I'm here responding to comments grin Ps, I like the font in your picture. It's fancier than what I have
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 11:08pm On Jan 12
hmm, can't wait to see how the story will play out, patiently waiting for Monday. and thanks about the font, changing it soon though.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 11:53pm On Jan 12
LightQueen:
Good morning

You disappear again sad
I don't intend doing so but what can I do ? I hardly have time for myself lately. How are you darling?
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 11:56pm On Jan 12
obehiD:

@Fazemood Haha! What did you expect? Please help me understand so I can compare notes. Maybe this is something I should look into grin. But the visiting day isn't over yet though wink

it's nothing to worry about over. I enjoyed the chapter, hope the update comes up faster
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by LightQueen(f): 12:12am On Jan 13
Fazemood:

I don't intend doing so but what can I do ? I hardly have time for myself lately. How are you darling?
You have to share it oo grin one for me, one for you cheesy

I'm doing good dear kiss
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by phoenixchap: 7:49am On Jan 13
@ObehiD I can see you around... Please drop the rest of the updates na, we have to wait a whole week every week . cry
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 4:34pm On Jan 13
LightQueen:
You have to share it oo grin one for me, one for you cheesy

I'm doing good dear kiss
Hahaha okay o. Yes ma
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 2:44am On Jan 14
Sad, I hope you're changing it to something better @Peaceyw

@Fazemood oh, okay, thank you

@phoenixchap wait a whole week? I've been posting twice a week for a while now. And I've already explained why I post like this. If I posted a new chapter anytime I liked, it would be very irregular, and if something happens and I'm not able to write during a period, weeks could go by without me posting. So, I don't change the frequency of my posting unless I'm sure that I can sustain it. When I have enough written to post more, I'll increase how often I post. That's why I went from posting once a week to posting twice a week when I got to a period that I could write more. But even with the last one, don't you remember how I increased how much I posted when I got to the end and I'd finished writing? I posted everyday until I finished. I even posted the last two or three chapters all at once.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 2:54am On Jan 14
Chapter Thirty-seven
-----------------------------------------------------
St. Luke’s, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria
-----------------------------------------------------

As they walked along the slab, away from the congested visiting area, Ehi looked down at Osezele. He was somewhat taken aback when he saw her looking up at him with eyes full of awe and a smile full of trust. He wanted to yell ‘you don’t even know me’. He was angry at her for trusting him so easily, angry at the look on her face. But for all his anger, he couldn’t look away. Ehi had never known what it felt like to have someone think of him as a savior. Was this how Oare felt?

Ehi cleared his throat. “So, are you still crying under the rain over boys?” he asked dryly. There was a note of censure in his voice. He knew he was being unfair in his treatment of her, but he couldn’t help detesting the way she looked at him, the way she treated him.

Osezele giggled. “Not since I saw how disappointed it made you.” She teased.

Ehi stopped walking. He couldn’t have heard her right, could he? He looked down at the impishly smiling face and realized she’d been teasing him. His lips quirked upwards in a smile. As soon as Ehi realized what his face was doing, he corrected it, turning the smile to a severe frown. He glared at her as he continued walking.

Osezele frowned. “I’m sorry uncle…”

“I’m not your uncle!” he snapped. Ehi watched the way her shoulders drooped, and he felt guilty. When had he become the kind of man who snapped at little children? Was that a conscience? Ehi thought, slightly amused, because he hadn’t known he had one. He looked down at the sullen girl. She no longer looked up at him as if he was her hero. She just looked ahead. Would she cry now? He thought. That was what she did wasn’t it, she cried. Why did he care? Ehi didn’t know. “Call me uncle if you want.” He acquiesced, “But don’t blame me when you end up regretting it.” He muttered the last part.

Osezele’s frown didn’t go away. “Why don’t you want me to call you uncle?” she asked him.

Ehi didn’t respond. He kept his gaze determinedly forward as he continued to lead her towards the administrative buildings and the solitude he knew he’d find there. Ehi had scoped out the school. He knew every inch of the school now better than the students. He had to, it was the only way he could stay there. He looked down at the hurt child beside him and regretted it when her sad eyes caught and held his. When he still didn’t answer her question, she looked away.

“You don’t know me.” He said finally.

“I know you’re a person I’d be proud to have as an uncle.” Osezele replied.

Ehi scoffed. “You don’t know that. How could you possibly know that?” he asked.

“Because you’re here helping me.” She replied.

What a simple world she lived in, Ehi thought with resentment. Not a care in the world. And when problems came, him and his siblings were at her beck and call, killing themselves to fix it for her, to keep her world simple and pretty. His life would be simple and pretty if her and her entire family were dead, or at least, out of his life. But no, he had to pay for his father’s mistake. And so his life was one of service. Ehi was surprised by his own vitriolic thoughts. He’d been serving others before her, he’d never hated it.

He sighed.

It was because they knew. It was because they didn’t call him uncle and look up at him with painfully sweet trust, as if he was an equal, as if he was family, as if he was loved. They knew who they were and what he was. They treated him as he was meant to be treated. Not as family. They didn’t make him feel things he shouldn’t be feeling. They didn’t make him want to be any different than who he was.

Ehi led Osezele to the back of the administrative buildings. He looked around his surroundings, making certain that there was no one around, and then he pulled the girl closer to him and went into his mark. A dark mist formed around them.

They were teleported to the other side of the gates. When the dark mist came down, they were standing by the incomplete building.

“People are usually more awed by commune teleportation.” Ehi stated lightly. He realized that he was doing something he’d never done before, he was apologizing, trying to make his rudeness up to her by making small talk. He didn’t even know why. He wasn’t here to be her friend, definitely not to be her uncle. He was here to keep her safe, at least until his brother got out of Seclusion.

He thought about Oare and smiled a little.

Oare had never learnt his place, that was why he’d been foolish enough to fall for Odion. That was why he’d been unguarded enough to accept Osezele’s trust. Ehi wouldn’t be surprised if Oare actually thought of himself as part of the family. Oare would learn, Ehi thought sadly, they always changed after they learnt the truth. Odion wouldn’t be any different. Ehi knew she would break his brother’s heart, and a part of him was glad for it. Oare needed to toughen up. He looked down at the little girl. She needed to toughen up too. One day she’d learn who she was and that the world wasn’t simple and pretty.

Osezele had remained quiet. She waited, waited to see his attention settle on her before she replied saying, “After you’ve seen where the power comes from, you know it’s not something to be awe by.” She replied sadly.

Ehi searched his brain, for the part of her history that would make her respond that way. That was another thing he hated, the fact that he knew everything about her. He’d been forced to learn every puny detail of her life, while she knew nothing about him. And she had the audacity to trust him. “Ebo.” Ehi stated.

Osezele nodded. “I watched what he did to Nosa. I watched how he drew his power from Nosa’s pain every time he needed to teleport. I will never forget the sounds Nosa made.” For a moment Osezele was back in that time, back with the commune who’d taken her away from her school and enthralled Nosa in the process. He was the reason she’d hated the commune mark. And that was before the imps had merged. All she saw in that mark was pain. Then a thought struck her mind. “You didn’t have a source.” She stated, looking hopefully up at her uncle. “You didn’t hurt anyone to teleport.” She stated, smiling a little as she thought about it.

“Oh I hurt someone.” Ehi stated, desperate to wipe that smile off her face. “I have many thralls.”

Osezele’s hope died. “Why?” she asked.

It was a simple question, but there was so much pain and accusation in that single word, that Ehi found himself bending so that his face was more level with hers. He put both hands on her upper arms and said, “I don’t enthrall anyone who doesn’t want to be enthralled.” As soon as the words were out his mouth, he frowned, wondering why he’d said them. He’d had her where he wanted her. She’d finally stopped smiling at him. Ehi realized he didn’t want to hurt her. He let go of her and stood straight. He shook his head at his own muffled thoughts. At least she wouldn’t believe him, he thought, she wouldn’t believe anyone would want to be enthralled.

Osezele smiled. “I understand. I have a thrall.”

Ehi was taken aback. This was one detail he hadn’t know. “You?” he asked with disbelief.

Osezele nodded. “Victor.” She said. “He’s an omega.”

“Well look at you.” Said Ehi. “How did you do it? Omegas are usually too smart to let themselves be enthralled by communes.”

Osezele’s smile turned sad. “He didn’t know what he was doing. He just wanted to help me, but instead he became my thrall.”

Ehi did it again. He heard the sadness in her voice and contrary to ever instinct he’d thought he had, he bent to take it away. “Is he affected by the quintise magic?” Ehi asked. Osezele shook her head, confused. “Then he has you to thank for that. Being your thrall made him immune to it.”

“Really?”

Ehi nodded. “And that’s not all. The bond between commune and thrall goes both ways. Communes are usually selfish. We take and don’t give. But it is possible to give back. It is possible to use that bond to make your thrall stronger.”

Osezele’s eyes widened. She was doing it again, looking up at him as if he was her hero, as if he was the uncle she called him. “Can you show me how?” she asked.

That wasn’t the point of a thrall, Ehi thought. He could hear his father drumming it into his head, over and over again. Thralls were slaves, there to serve a commune master. Why wasn’t he telling her that, teaching her the way he’d been taught?

“It’s not something I can teach you. It’s an instinct. Just know that if he ever needed you, you could help him.” Ehi gave himself one second, one moment to bask in the smile, one moment to allow himself feel it, and then he shut down, hating her even more for making him want it. “Update me on the bijoutise magic.” He ordered abruptly. “Have there been any more fatalities? Is anyone else immune?”

Osezele gave him a quick run-through. She didn’t really know about the intimate details of the power struggle in the pack, but she knew about the fight the week before. She told him about that. Ehi had already heard all about it from Oare, but he listened more to hear the way she described it than anything else. “And Nosa seems to be immune.” She added after her detailed account of the previous weeks battle and the student they’d lost as a result.

“Nosa.” He mused. “Why does that name sound so familiar?”

Osezele had no idea why it would sound familiar to him. “He’s…” she twisted her lips not really knowing how to describe her ‘friend’. “He’s…” she tried again.

Ehi understood. “He’s the boy you were crying under the rain for.” She nodded. Ehi chuckled. “He’s also the boy that Ebo enthralled.” He stated. Osezele nodded unnecessarily. He has pieces of the spectral in him, Ehi thought, thanks to the botched liberation Oare had forced them to do. All so Osezele wouldn’t lose the boy she loved. He still remembered that night, remembered Ebo slowly dying and stubbornly clinging to the boy with each breath he took. He refused to set the boy free. They’d taken matters into their own hands. The three of them had formed a whole and fought to set the boy free. It was a wonder Nosa had survived. Ehi looked down at the girl, wondering if she’d ever learn all the things done to keep her alive and happy.

It was about time she learnt to fight for herself.

“Get your blade.” Ehi stated without preamble.

“My what?” Osezele asked.

Ehi had a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. What had she been doing with all the time he’d given her? He’d told her to train. Was she so used to having people fighting for her that she hadn’t even bothered to learn how to fight for herself? Ehi was too angry to speak. Instead, he formed a dark mist around himself, teleported to the warehouse where he kept his wooden sparring blades – and his thralls – and brought two blades back. He threw one of the blades on the ground in front of her.

“Pick it up.” He ordered. “Show me what you’ve learnt.”

Osezele was too dazed to respond. The combination of his teleportation and his demands to see her fight combined to slow her responses. It took her a while to realize what he was asking her to do. Once she understood, she blinked, staring blankly at him.

Ehi sighed. “What did I tell you to do before I left?”

Comprehension dawned as she switched her focus from the wooden blade on the ground between them to the tall imposing man standing in front of her. She gulped nervously. “Well,” Osezele began, speaking defensively, “you told me to train with Sedum.”

“I told you to learn how to fight with a cutlass.” Ehi countered with a raised voice.

Osezele took a step back. “You told me to wait and that my trainer would come. I waited. Sedum came, and he helped me learn how to control the wind.” Her voice was low as she spoke, her eyes cast down to hide the guilt in them.

Ehi glared at her. Stupid girl, he almost snapped. He took a deep breath to steady the wave of anger rising in him. Why didn’t she listen? He asked himself. Maybe she was like the others underneath all of that manners and blind trust, maybe she was just like the rest. Just as entitled, and just as arrogant. Why else would she think that doing what she wanted was preferable to what he’d asked her to? It was the kind of behavior he’d come to expect from the ones who knew, the ones he’d served. Ehi shook his head, sighing internally at himself for mentally separating her from them. Of course she was just as arrogant. And she didn’t even know yet.

Osezele could sense Ehi’s unease. She could tell that he was angry, not that he was making any effort to hide it. She felt like all she’d been doing since he came back was disappointing him. That had to be why he seemed so angry at her, why he didn’t even want her calling him uncle. “I’m sorry.” She apologized. “I just really needed to learn control of the wind for the inter-house sports race and…”

“Inter-house sports?” Ehi yelled. “You’ve got to be kidding me.” He muttered underneath his breath. She really was a fool.

“Let me show you.” Osezele said.

Ehi rose his eyebrows in question.

Osezele picked up the wooden blade.

She gasped.

The last cutlass she’d held had been her blue place, and it hadn’t felt anything like this. Osezele palmed the handle of the wooden cutlass, switching it from one hand to another with an ease that shocked Ehi. She was measuring its thickness, assessing it, with the familiarity of a skilled soldier. Osezele had no idea what she was doing, but the moment she picked it up, she knew that it felt right. Her fingers wrapped around the head of the cutlass and on instinct, she extended the cutlass, charging at an imaginary foe. That also felt good. She swished the cutlass around in her hand, slashing it one way and then the other. It felt natural, like an extension of herself.

“I’m ready.” Osezele said.

Ehi scoffed. He decided to show her just how unprepared she was. Granted, the way she held the wooden blade was impressive, but fighting with it was a whole other story. Determined to teach her a lesson Ehi lifted his blade in the air and brought it down hard, aiming for the side of her head. All he got was empty space.

He felt something poking into his back.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 2:55am On Jan 14
Ehi turned around, and there she was, smiling up at him with a mischievous glint in her eyes. She had the rounded edge of her blade pressing into his back. Ehi found himself smiling before he realized what he was doing. He swerved around sharply, trying to catch her by surprise.

He was the one surprised.

She launched herself in the air. While Ehi stared up into the sky for a sign of her, she came back down and had the curved edge of the cutlass poking gently into his right side.

Ehi’s smile widened.

As fast as he could, he moved to hit her cutlass with his, but she was quicker. She ran to the side, evading his attack, and had her cutlass poking into his left side, faster than he could blink.

“Impressive.” Ehi grudgingly praised.

Osezele gave a lofty bow. She giggled. “I know why you wanted me to learn how to fight with the cutlass. I know that one of the imps is back. But I chose to focus on the wind, because with it, I can move faster than the imp. If the imp can’t see me, it can’t beat me. It wasn’t just about the inter-house sports.”

Ehi’s lips twitched, but he refused to smile. “That’s very well thought out.” He replied, internally taking back his previous comments about her intelligence. “There’s only one problem with that.”

Osezele frowned in confusion. She hadn’t told him the full story, hadn’t told him how she’d completely forgotten about the cutlass training he’d asked her to do, until the day before, when her white place had shown her why she needed to train and what she was going to fight. Thanks to the person who broke into her hostel the night before, she’d stayed up all night thinking about a lot of things. Her lack of cutlass-fighting skills was one of them. That was when she’d realized that with the wind, she didn’t need to know how to fight, just how to use the cutlass to cut. But uncle Ehi said there was a problem. “What problem?” she asked.

“You don’t know the first thing about imps.” He stated calmly.

“I know that I can kill them.” Osezele replied arrogantly.

Ehi felt a sudden burst of pride at her confidence. He forced it back, suppressing the urge to smile that came along with it. Shaking his head, he said, “You literally do not know the first thing about imps.”

Osezele frowned. “What is the first thing about imps?” she asked.

Ehi stared her in the face as he replied, “They live in the spectral existence.”

“What is that?”

“There are four existences. One we live in, which is called the standard existence. One you somehow stumbled upon, where you saw the Nothingness. That one is called the fourth existence. There are two others, the supreme existence where the elements originate from, and the spectral existence, where imps live.”

“I don’t understand.” Replied Osezele. “How is that a problem that stops me from killing the imp?”

“It’s a problem, because your way relies on having the wind. There is no wind in the spectral existence.”

Osezele’s eyes widened. “I don’t understand. But the last time…I saw the imps. Does that mean that I can see the spectral existence?”

Ehi chuckled. “For the longest time, that is what we believed. We believed that specific communes who’d gained the sight could see the spectral existence. We believed that because that was what the Kaisers, the ones who rule in the spectral existence, wanted us to believe. There are only a handful of people who know the truth, only a handful who’ve truly seen the spectral existence.”

Osezele couldn’t believe what she was hearing! “So, the spectral existence is another world like the black one that I went to, where I saw the nothingness?”

“I’ve never been to the fourth existence, so I cannot compare both. I have only been to the spectral existence. I can only talk to you about that.”

“So, even though I can see the imp, I won’t be able to fight it unless I go to the spectral existence?”

“Think of it as looking at something through a glass door. You may be able to see it, but you can’t touch it unless you go to the other side of the door.” Ehi paused, then he asked, “Have you seen the imp in the school?” Osezele shook her head. “This is the part the Kaisers don’t want you to know. There is magic in the spectral existence, powerful magic, magic which allows the imps in the spectral existence to show themselves to communes in this existence. We only see what they show us.”

Osezele’s eyes darted around, studying her surroundings. “So the imp could be right here and we wouldn’t know?” she asked.

“If an imp with spectral magic didn’t want you to see it, you wouldn’t. But you don’t have to worry about the imp in your school. Once it walked into the bijoutise magic, it added its spectral magic to it. It’s now bound to the same area as the bijoutise magic. It cannot leave the school.”

‘Now that the imp has come into the bijoutise magic, things will be so much worse if your wolves lose control again.’ Osezele could hear Seli’s words in her head, and now she understood it. The imp’s magic was adding to the bijoutise.

“Why do I have to kill it?” Osezele asked.

“What?” Ehi frowned. Was she getting scared again? Right after he’d been commending her for her bravery.

“If the imp is in the spectral existence, and I’m in this one, why should I care what the imp does?”

“Imps are tenacious fiends. Once an imp sets its sight on you, it spends the rest of its immortal life searching for ways to make you pay.”

“But imps aren’t immortal.”

“You are the only one who’s ever killed one. Apart from the imp’s tenacity, there’s also the little matter of the spectral magic. There are ways to reverse the bijoutise magic, but there is no way to reverse bijoutise magic mixed with spectral magic. We can’t even attempt to reverse the bijoutise magic unless the spectral magic is gone, and the spectral magic lives on with its source. The only way to get rid of that magic is by killing the imp. And the only one who can kill an imp is you. And the only place you can touch the imp is in the spectral existence. Where all you’ll have is a blade. No marks, no wind. Do you understand now?”

Osezele looked down at the wooden cutlass in her hand. What did she do? How did she let herself get so carried away with the wind, that she forgot what she was really supposed to learn? “How would I even get into the spectral existence?” she asked.

“I’ll take care of that.”

Osezele sighed. “I’m sorry uncle Ehi.” She said, looking up to meet his gaze. “If I’d known…I should have listened to you, I should have told Sedum to teach me how to fight with the cutlass. I should ha…”

“We don’t have time to waste on regrets.” He admonished, cutting her off. “Why don’t you just go back to the Visiting and enjoy today. Starting tomorrow, we’ll be meeting at 4 am, train till breakfast and then train from lights out till 1 am. Today is your last day of rest. Enjoy it.”

Osezele shook her head. She could tell that her mother still hadn’t come. Until her mother got to the school, there was nowhere better she had to be.

“No.” Osezele stated. “I’ve already wasted too much time uncle Ehi. Let’s start now.”

Again, Ehi felt that instinctual burst of pride. He allowed himself a smile this time. Just a little one, so small he knew she wouldn’t see it. What was the harm in that right?

Ehi began barking orders. He adjusted her stance till she was standing just right. He didn’t need to teach her how to hold the wooden cutlass, that part she seemed to know. Ehi was a firm believer in the principle of learning by doing.

Ehi started her off with an attack. He did it to test her instincts. As far as he was concerned, there were two types of fighters. The ones whose natural inclination was to attack, and the ones who blocked. He didn’t think there was anything inherently wrong in either styles, he just needed to know which she was.

“No wind.” He ordered.

Osezele nodded, doing her best to remember everything he’d told her about her stance.

Ehi attacked. He put his weight behind the wooden cutlass as he aimed it at her head. It was a straight forward attack, so straight forward, she could easily block it with her cutlass.

That was not what she did.

What she did stunned him.

Not as much as it shocked her.

Ehi attacked, and Osezele evaded, bending backwards with a level of skill Ehi had never seen before. He didn’t give either of them time to dwell on it. He attacked again, this time aiming low, for her feet. Osezele jumped over the swinging blade, rolled over on her side, and jumped back to her feet, back into the same stance she’d taken before the attack.

Osezele’s eyes widened as she stared with shock at her own body.

Ehi frowned. No one was that naturally skilled.

He aimed his blade for her head and grabbed onto her face as she prepared to dodge his attack.

For a brief second, her eyes turned blue.

“What element are you most closely bound to?” Ehi asked.

“Water.” Osezele replied without hesitating.

Ehi’s eyes widened. “Grace.” He stated. “Fire is brave, earth is strong, air is fast and water is graceful. I cannot decide if you are just one lucky coincidence or the result of a carefully planned combination of marks.”

Osezele shook her head, completely confused by what he said.

“Your elemental mark, the water, it knows how to move. You go into your mark when you evade the blade.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know…”

“No, it’s okay.”

“But you said, no marks and no wind in the spectral existence.”

“The element will teach you how to move. Now you can only do it in your mark, with a little practice, it’ll become instinct. That means I can just focus on teaching you how to attack, the water in you will teach you how to defend. You know, back in the days when marked communities had armies, they’d fill the front rows with fire elementals, the middle with the earth, and the back with the wind. Do you know where they put the water elementals?”

Osezele shook her head.

“Guarding the most important people. Water elementals are very rare.”

“Why couldn’t I fight like this with the merged imps?” she asked.

“Was your elemental mark in you?” he asked in reply.

Osezele thought about it for a while. She remembered fighting with her blue place. She shook her head. No, the elemental mark wasn’t in her, it was in the sword she used to fight.

“That’s your answer.” Ehi stated.

He faced off, preparing to start teaching her in earnest when an older girl came climbing over the fence.

“Ngozi.” Osezele called out as the girl approached.

Ngozi smiled at the both of them before she said, “Osezele, my mum asked me to give you this, from your mother.” She handed Osezele a folded letter. Osezele took it.

She scanned through the letter and then frowned.

“What is it?” Ngozi asked.

“My mother says she isn’t coming. She’s sick, but it’s not too bad. She said I shouldn’t worry.”

“I’m sorry.” Ngozi said. “You can come and do Visiting with my family. My mother brought a lot of food.”

Osezele shook her head. “No thank you.” She replied. She turned back towards Ehi and said, “I need to train.”

Ehi waited an entire five seconds before wiping off the smile of pride on his face.

3 Likes

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by GeoSilYe(f): 8:09am On Jan 14
Aish I really wanted to read about Akhere, that is from her POV.

Anyway, this was good, thanks ObehiD
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 9:15pm On Jan 14
obehiD, for a moment there I got scared when they were talking about the imps and spectral existence. But how did she know an imp is back for her and which one?
P.S I will no longer change the font again because of you.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 10:27pm On Jan 14
This is why I need to marry obehid. She is wonder full grin
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by phoenixchap: 12:29pm On Jan 15
Peaceyw:
obehiD, for a moment there I got scared when they were talking about the imps and spectral existence. But how did she know an imp is back for her and which one?
P.S I will no longer change the font again because of you.

When she went into state the last few episode and Aishat and co had to help her when Ngozi thought it was menstrual pain. Her mark informed her of a imp something from the Not far future Not too present and not tooo future, or so
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by spixytinxy(f): 7:50pm On Jan 15
Wow, nice one dear, keep asking my self where u got dis knowledge from, how do u even do it. U r just to bless obehid. Don't even know how to praise u sef.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 10:52pm On Jan 15
@GeoSilYe sorry about that. Honestly, I'm pleasantly surprised that Akhere made that much of an impact on you (Good for her grin ) I only say that because she hasn't really been in this story much. Hmmm, I hadn't really planned to have her in the story anytime in the nearby future, but I'll try to change that for you. It won't be in this one sha, more likely in the next, but I'll try to make sure you get to read from her POV. And thank you!

@Peaceyw Why were you scared about the imps and the spectral existence? As to how she knew about the imp, phoenixchap answered that (thanks @phoenixchap). It goes back to chapter 33, when Osezele was pulled into herself and she spoke with her white place. The white place ended up clarifying the vision which she got in the nothingness. So, it explained to her that when she saw the vision of herself fighting the merged imps in the nothingness (this is from a looong time ago, the part when Elliot died) it was actually showing her something from the past, present and future (same as Nosa breaking her heart, and Binta being the agent). So, with that information, Osezele understood that the merged imps she saw herself fighting in the nothingness was from the past (last book), but it was also going to happen in the future. However, since she's already killed one of the imps, she understood that she wouldn't exactly be fighting the merged imps. She surmised that she would be fighting one of the other imps that remained (since it had to be an imp from the past as well -- this is from the not so past, not so present, not so future thing -- ). Now, 'which imp' is a good question, that's the question she ended the vision with the white place pondering. That was all before the blue place explained to her that the red place had pulled her into herself because the imp had entered the school. I hope that clears it up. And, thank you for keeping the font for me, I appreciate it cheesy

@Fazemood Lol. Thank you. I really like the way you separated the wonder and full. I appreciate being thought of as full of wonder...and there's still so much more wonder yet to come grin

Thanks for the explanation @phoenixchap. My head swells when I read the story back through someone else's words. grin

@spixytinxy thank you! You don't need to praise me anymore than that, it's already SO much. I was smiling anyhow when I read it. So much so that the people around me started looking at me one kain. Thank you! grin
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 9:24am On Jan 16
@phoenixchap @obehiD thanks for the explanation
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 11:32pm On Jan 16
Peaceyw:
@phoenixchap @obehiD thanks for the explanation

You're welcome grin
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 12:38am On Jan 18
This one is long oh! Longest chapter so far, and it will most likely be (by far) the longest in this book. Even @sampz won't be able to complain cheesy and @phoenixchap won't be asking for more grin.

Enjoy.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 12:38am On Jan 18
Chapter Thirty-eight
----------------------------------------------------
St. Luke’s, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria
----------------------------------------------------

The sun which had shone so bright all through the day had finally gone down. It was dark now. The school had since quieted after the exhaustive rounds of children bidding farewell to their departing visitors. That had been followed by a chaotic round of cleaning for the students in JSS1 to SS1. Being the seniors of the school, the SS2 and 3 students were usually left out of these school-wide cleanings. The junior students had been assigned to areas in the school to pick up dirt, sweep, arrange, and generally put the school back in order after the day. At exactly 6:30 pm, Tolani rang the bell for the students to go into the refectory for supper. At 7:30 they’d ended the meal and had gone into their hostels. It was 8 pm now, and Osezele and Ehi hadn’t stopped, not even to indulge in a moment to catch their breaths.

Osezele’s cutlass cut in from the left, poised to take Ehi by surprise. At the last minute, Ehi side-stepped, swerving so that her blade hit the air and not his side. He grabbed hold of Osezele wrist as the blade went by him.

“What did you do wrong?” he demanded.

Osezele shook her head. She was exhausted. Right then she wished she’d participated more in the school mandated Saturday morning sporting events. Every muscle in her legs and arms felt sore. “I don’t know.” She replied panting.

“You moved too forcefully with your body. I would have to be blind and deaf to not see your attacks coming.” He chastised.

“Can I try again?”

Ehi grinned. He stared down at the girl, wondering if she even knew that the sun had gone down and the moon had risen to take its place. Could she see the darkness around her, or was she so focused on training? He’d never met anyone like her. She never complained, not even when it was obvious he was hitting harder than he needed to. She never whined, she never asked for breaks. She had to be hungry, it had been over seven hours of this, but she hadn’t asked to stop, not once. She made it very hard to hate her.

“Are you tired? Do you want to stop?” he asked.

Osezele was shocked. She almost left her mouth hanging open, gaping at him because the question was so unexpected. He’d been training her for hours, with the doggedness of a drill sergeant, and hadn’t stopped once to ask her if she was tired. The truth was that there were many times throughout the day when she’d wanted to quit. Like when the sun became so scorching she knew it was getting to the middle of the day, closer to the end of Visiting and any chance she’d have to eat Nosa’s mum’s ofada rice. Still she’d kept pushing. Then she’d heard the bell for dinner and had almost broke down and begged him to stop, to give her a chance to eat, but then she’d seen the look on his face. He’d been proud of her, proud of her resolve, and so she kept going, even as the sun began to set and any chance she had for supper went down with it. Now he was asking if she was tired? “No uncle Ehi.” She lied. “I still have so much more to learn.”

Ehi put the blade aside. “Yes, you do.” He confirmed. “But right now, I have other business to attend to.”

“You just want to stop because you’re tired.” She teased while maintaining a straight face.

Ehi laughed.

He hadn’t meant to, but as soon as she said the words, the reaction just came out of him. He stopped it of course, cutting it off in a way that made the laughter die an obviously unnatural death.

Osezele frowned. “Uncle Ehi.” She called out.

“Hmm” Ehi responded absent-mindedly, not even noticing the appended uncle anymore.

“Why do you do that?”

“Do what?”

“Stop yourself from smiling or laughing. Every time you smile, it’s like you catch yourself smiling and then stop. Why?”

Ehi turned around. He began walking towards the incomplete building, pointedly ignoring Osezele’s question. And then he stopped in his tracks and swerved towards the left, towards the gates which separated the incomplete building from the rest of the school. For a brief second, his eyes turned brown as he continued to stare at the fence. Osezele turned to, frowning as she puzzled at the cause of Ehi’s reaction. Then they both saw a dark figure climbing to the other side of the fence and then letting go of the barbed wire and jumping to the ground, landing on his feet.

With the way the person landed, Ehi knew it had to be a werewolf. If the landing hadn’t made it obvious, the speed at which the person ran towards them did. On instinct, Ehi ran towards Osezele and stopped in front of her, to shield her from the danger of the unknown werewolf.

“Vic.” Came Osezele’s voice from behind the tall imposing man.

Victor smiled slightly at the man and then craned his head so that he could see behind him. His smile widened as Osezele walked out from behind Ehi.

“We were worried about you.” He stated, warily eyeing the man standing by her.

Osezele shrugged. “Why? Ngozi saw me here.”

Victor nodded. He pried his eyes off the man and focused solely on Osezele. “She said your mother didn’t come. Are you okay?”

Osezele nodded. She hadn’t really given it another thought, not that she’d had the opportunity with the way uncle Ehi had been grilling her. “She’s sick.” Osezele replied. “I’ll see her when we go home for the break.”

Victor nodded in acceptance. Then he turned towards the tall man and greeted, “Good evening sir.” Bowing slightly.

“Good evening Victor.” Ehi replied, smirking at the young wolf. “You have perfect timing. I was just about to send Osezele for you.”

“You were?” Victor asked. A question which was mirrored in Osezele’s eyes as she stared at Ehi.

Ehi nodded. “I need you to summon your pack.”

“Oh.” Victor replied. “Why?”

“Because I said so.” Ehi turned around then, dismissing Victor with the curt words. Ehi put a hand on Osezele’s shoulder and began moving, prompting her to walk with him as he walked towards the incomplete building.

“Who is he?” Victor mouthed out the question to Osezele.

Osezele begun to move with uncle Ehi, but she turned her head around as she walked and whispered, “You can trust him Vic, he’s here to help us.”

Victor nodded and then he yowled.

Ehi’s hand on Osezele’s shoulder tightened imperceptibly when he heard the words she’d said to Victor. He still couldn’t allow himself to accept the trust he heard in her voice. He couldn’t accept it because he didn’t believe in it. She didn’t know him, didn’t know anything about him. How could she truly trust someone that she didn’t know?

They kept walking till they got to the foot of an incomplete pillar, one of many in front of the building. The pillar was tall enough to get to the second floor of the concrete blocks, but not any higher. That was as high as he needed, so Ehi didn’t care.

“Practice the attacks I taught you on the pillar.” He ordered, as he positioned her directly in front of it. “Don’t forget, the wall doesn’t hit back, but I do.” He teased, chuckled and then tussled her head, all without fully realizing what he was doing. And then he stopped, standing stiff and uncomfortable when his playful actions wrought a smile of pure ecstasy in her face. He didn’t have the will power to keep himself from smiling back which just made her smile even more. His smile was tight, and his body was positioned away from her, all classic signs of his discomfort, but she didn’t hold that against him. She just smiled as if, even after the hell he’d put her through training her, she still thought of him as a hero.

Ehi shook his head and then began to turn away from her.

“Where are you going uncle Ehi?”

Why was that ‘uncle’ becoming more and more familiar with each time she called him that? Ehi sighed. “I have some business with the werewolves.” He replied without turning around. “We’ll just be behind you, so don’t go easy on yourself, I’ll be watching.” He warned, and then he continued walking without waiting for a response. He knew he didn’t need one. If there was anything he’d learned about her, it was that she didn’t go easy on herself. Not when she felt as guilty as she currently did. Ehi wasn’t even slightly perturbed by the fact that he’d laid it on thick, building up her guilt by pointing out that she would have already learnt all of this if she’d been training the way he’d asked her to. The security of the school was in her hands and he wasn’t shy to play that card either. He could see the steel in her now. It was the kind of steel that greatness was forged from. The kind of steel that allows a girl to become as proficient with controlling the wind as Osezele had become in a matter of weeks. It was the kind of steel that would make her into a formidable fighter. He was just doing his part by adding coal to the fire.

When Ehi got back to where he’d left Victor, there were a lot more boys standing there. He took his time to survey the crowd of people. There were a few strong looking ones he approved of. There was a boy standing off to the side, separated from the rest. The boy had his hands crossed in front of him and his feet planted apart. He had his facial features tightly schooled so that he came off as aloof and a bit arrogant. If Ehi had to guess, he’d say the boy was the alpha. And, from the chemistry in the group, the way that all the other werewolves hurdled away from him, not a very good one. Werewolves were drawn to power. They respected it, and that was why they acted foolishly all in defense of their alpha. A close pack would surround their alpha.

Like the one to the other side.

Interesting, Ehi thought, as he turned to the opposite side of the alpha.

There was another boy that stood out there. He had a slight smile on his face as one of the boys to his left whispered something to the group closely hurdled together. The boy stood out in front of the group. His arms were crossed in front of his chest and his eyes scanned Ehi as if sizing up a potential enemy. The boys standing around him leaned in towards him. They seemed attuned to every single gesture he made. There was a younger white boy standing by his side. That boy looked both angry and grief-stricken, as he stared at the scattering of boys in the middle.

Ehi could group them based off the uniforms they wore. He could tell that the boys standing hurdled together where in a different class from the ones standing in the middle, looking like lost sheep, and the aloof one standing to the other side. Ehi’s focus turned to the scattering of wolves standing in the middle and he shook his head. They didn’t surround any one wolf in particular, they just stood apart, scattered, like a pack without an alpha.

Victor was an interesting one. He stood with the scattering of wolves, but unlike the rest of them, he stood as close to the group of boys hurdled together as he could without actually joining them. It was clear from the way his body turned towards them that he wanted to, but something kept him from making that last step.

Ehi had no trouble figuring out how this pack could have been responsible for three deaths. This was the absolute worst kind of pack to have under the influence of quintise magic. A pack divided. Good thing he was about to uncomplicate their lives.

“Victor.” Ehi called out. His voice was deep and loud, so loud in fact that Osezele gasped hearing it, and turned towards them. Ehi heard that sound.

He wasn’t the only one.

Nosa stared at her. He smiled and waved back when she caught his look and smiled at him. Every time she gave him that smile, the uncomplicated one which seemed to be unaware of their history, he couldn’t help the way his heart lurched in his chest.

Ehi cleared his throat. He’d suspected the boy who’d been sizing him up was Nosa, because he was the only who looked vaguely familiar. Ehi felt an alien protective instinct rise in him, as he watched the boy gawking at Osezele. This was the ungrateful idiot who’d left her crying in the rain. Without fully realizing what he was doing, he marched up to the boy and slapped him on the back of his head. “Eyes on me Casanova.” Ehi snapped.

Nosa’s smile turned to a frown as he turned his attention from Osezele’s sweet smile to her uncle’s sour face. He glared at the man.

“Wipe that look off your face before I do it for you.” Ehi ordered. He was baiting him. He’d surmised all he needed to know about this pack from watching them. He knew there were two packs, just as he knew Victor had to be joined to both from the fact that his yowl had summoned all of them. He’d also identified Nosa as one of the alphas, and the one to the other side as the other. He knew he needed to establish his authority over the pack quickly, and there was no better way than to beat the alpha. Which alpha was entirely up to the two boys.

Nosa took a threatening step towards Ehi.

Ehi gave him an arrogant lop-sided grin which only served to catalyze his indignation.

Then Osezele called out, “Nosa” in a shocked surprised tone, which served as a scolding and warning all in one. Nosa heard his name, but what he heard underneath that name was ‘don’t you dare, can’t you see he’s your senior?’. Nosa smiled at the scolding. She was right of course, he’d lost his mind for a second. Sometimes Nosa found it so hard to believe the influence she had on him.

“I’m sorry sir.” Nosa said, bowing slightly as he apologized.

Ehi was disappointed. He’d been aching for a reason to flatten the boy. “I’ve got my eyes on you Casanova.”

Ehi had watched as the name which had set Nosa off the first time he called it, infuriated the boys standing around him. This time Nosa’s lips twitched and his friends suddenly found the same name hilarious. They laughed, clapping him on the shoulder. Even the sullen one smiled. Ehi nodded at the boy. He knew this was not the alpha to beat up. His pack loved him, beating their alpha would have the opposite effect of what he needed to get done. Luckily, he wouldn’t need to. Not when Osezele called him ‘uncle’, and Nosa had made it clear how he felt about her.

“Your attention should be on your training.” Ehi scolded. He made sure his voice was even louder.

It was enough to jolt Osezele from staring at Nosa and take her attention back to the pillar in front of her.

“Who are you?” the question came from one of the SS3 wolves scattered between Beedie and the boys hurdled by Nosa.

“My name is Ehi.” Ehi stated. Again, his voice was deep and confident. It was an alpha’s voice. Ehi had spent a long time perfecting it. “And I am your new vice principal.”

That definitely got the tongues wagging.

Again, Osezele stopped her practice. She couldn’t have heard him correctly. Did he really say new vice-principal? She turned around and stared at her uncle Ehi. Ehi turned around too. He pointed at the pillar. She sighed and took as much of her focus as she could back to it.

“Vice principal?” one of the wolves asked.

“Aren’t you marked?”

There were a few other questions, but they all seemed trivial in comparison to the, “Why did you send for us?” Beedie belted out.

Now that was an alpha’s voice, Ehi thought, turning his attention to the lone boy standing by the other side. It was too bad the voice tried so hard to hide its insecurities and doubt. But there was real metal underneath it. Ehi looked between Nosa and Beedie and then he chuckled. This was going to be a lot more fun than he’d thought.

“What is your name?” he asked the boy.

“Beedie.” Was the simple reply.

Ehi nodded.

“I sent for you to take away your marks.” Ehi replied conversationally. As soon as the wolves heard his words, they began to riot.

Lanky was the loudest. “Just forget about it. Go back, who asked you to come!” His classmates cheered him on. Even the SS2 boys seemed to support him. Ehi could appreciate how rare of a thing that was.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 12:39am On Jan 18
Ehi smiled. It was an evil smile, one that had all the wolves looking at him, cringing. Lanky’s words ignited the pack and they all began to yell disavowals, one of the SS3 boys made the mistake of insulting Osezele for bringing Ehi there. Nosa heard and he yelled back at the SS3 boys. Ehi watched as the pack began to lose control. He let it go on for a bit, waiting till their eyes began to flicker and then he grabbed hold of the first fist that went flying. It was Lanky’s hand.

“This is the last time that you will allow yourselves to lose control while I am in this school. If you ever, ever, allow yourselves lose control like this, I will beat the poo out of each and every single one of you.” His voice was loud, so loud that the wolves were forced to shut up and listen to him. “I am a wolf.” Ehi stated, triggering his emotions enough to show off his brown eyes. That begun his need to transform fully, since he didn’t have the control of a natural born alpha, but showing his eyes was a trick he’d learned a long time ago. It required control to keep himself right at the edge. “I am also a commune.” He added. As he spoke his previously brown eyes filled with red. It was fascinating watching the red push the brown away and fight for prominence. Those who’d seen Ebo in his mark would later say that Ehi’s eyes were even more ominous than the renegade commune. The boys gulped nervously.

Still holding onto Lanky’s wrist, Ehi pulled on one of his thralls. He used the thrall’s pain to ignite his mark, and send migraines through the heads of the boys standing in front of him. They all began to groan, placing their heads in their hands as they felt the effect of Ehi’s commune mark. Beedie went into his werewolf mark, hoping that like regular single-marked communes Ehi’s mark would be useless on him in his mark. He was wrong.

Ehi waited till he could smell fresh blood dripping from noses, before he pulled back and stopped the pain. He wasn’t done with Lanky though. He punched the boy in the face with enough force to send him sprawling on the floor.

“As I was saying,” Ehi began again, “I sent for you to take away your marks.” This time a heavy silence greeted his words. No one made a sound. “Temporarily.” There were slight sounds as the boy’s exhaled in relief. “As you all know, there is quintise magic around this school. Unfortunately, we have to let the quntise magic complete its circle before we can do anything to stop it. That’s the bad news. The good news is that I have a solution. But for my solution to work, you need to be one pack, with one alpha. Not just any alpha, but the strongest alpha. My plan involves all of you binding your wills to that alpha. That alpha must be the strongest to hold your wills. So, we are going to have a good old fashion alpha brawl. Every wolf must fight, the only way out is to get knocked out. Last wolf conscious emerges alpha of the pack.”

Ehi wasn’t surprised by the loud cheers that greeted his words. He even noticed the SS2 boys clapping Nosa on the back and the SS3 boys gulping nervously as they stared between Nosa and Beedie.

“Mr. Ehi.” Victor called out deferentially. “Isn’t that dangerous with the quintise magic?” he asked.

Ehi nodded, smiling at the omega. “Very. Which is why I have sent for a quintise of my own. They are going to be coming her from Johannesburg later this week. Since the bijoutise magic around the school isn’t complete, they can spin some magic of their own to temporarily remove the effects of the quintise magic. It won’t last long, but they’ll keep renewing it for as long as the brawl lasts. Now my question for you. Do you think you can handle an alpha brawl?”

The wolves went wild cheering and hooting. “I’ve been waiting all my life for one!” Lanky yelled.

“You don’t stand a chance.” An SS2 wolf teased.

Surprisingly Lanky laughed.

“One alpha!” Ehi promised.

“The right alpha.” Victor amended.

“Nosa!” The SS2 boys all yelled in unison.

The SS3 boys remained conspicuously quiet. Ehi could sense Beedie’s rage. He was expecting his classmates to raise him up, as Nosa’s did him. Ehi could have told him that he’d lost his pack and it would take him winning the alpha brawl to get them back, but he didn’t. He just watched and enjoyed the entertainment.

“But Mr. Ehi,” Lanky called out. “Why do you need to take away our marks?”

“It’ll just be until the alpha brawl. Without your marks, the bijoutise magic can’t affect you. And since the circle isn’t complete yet, we can still use a quintise potion to suppress them. This isn’t a long-term solution. It’ll last a week at most, but by the end of this week you won’t need it. You will have an alpha.”

“You said bind our wills to the alpha. What does that mean?” Another SS3 beta asked.

“It means, in essence, you do whatever your alpha says. You no longer have a choice.” Ehi replied. He could already hear the whispers of refusal. “It’s not necessarily a bad thing. It also means that you will form a bonded pack. You can draw strength from it. You can draw strength from your alpha.” By the time the night was over, he intended to show them what that meant.

“And what if we don’t want our marks suppressed?” Beedie asked.

Could it really be this easy? Ehi thought smiling. “Why wouldn’t you want it suppressed? Are you afraid?” he asked.

Beedie scoffed. “I’m a natural born alpha, you’re a natural born beta. Take away that commune mark, and I could run you into the ground. What do I have to be afraid of?”

Young, ignorant, arrogance. Ehi felt like he was in heaven. “Care to put your money where your mouth is?” he asked calmly.

Beedie could sense the attention his words had gotten him. His classmates were nodding, bolstering him up a little. If he beat Ehi, he would get his pack back. It was there in their gestures. Beating Ehi would be like taking candy from a baby. “You’re not going to cheat with your commune mark when you’re bleeding out more blood than you thought you had?” Beedie teased sneering at him.

His classmates burst out laughing. They actually moved closer, egging him on. Beedie knew it was time to give his pack a real alpha story. Not the fables Emeka shared about beating an alpha more than twice his age and size. This would be real, and they would all bear witness to it. No one would ever challenge him again. Beedie marched towards Ehi.

“A wolf that cheats in an honest challenge isn’t worthy of the mark.” Ehi replied, walking closer towards the foolish boy.

Ehi stopped in front of him. They both stood a few feet away from each other and stared at each other, measuring the opponent up. As Ehi watched Beedie, he tried to remember what he’d been like at that age. Sixteen, maybe seventeen, eighteen at the oldest. Yes, Ehi had been arrogant. But, unlike this spoon-fed little boy, he’d had reasons to be arrogant. Ehi could just hear Beedie’s mind churning. He could count all the strikes Beedie had against him. Beta for one. What natural born alpha thinks he’s weaker than a natural born beta? Bi-marked for another. While being bi-marked from the same class of mark made a mark stronger, when the marks were across different classes, it made the marks weaker. All of those things actually made Beedie’s odds pretty good. But there were a few things Beedie didn’t know. The first was that Ehi was already in a bonded pack, he’d already tied his will to his alpha, so he wouldn’t be fighting with the strength of a beta. The second was that he wasn’t just bi-marked, he was part of a bi-marked whole set. That fact alone should have made the boy tremble. Perhaps it would have if he’d been smart enough to study his opponent.

Young arrogance, Ehi thought smiling as he easily dodged Beedie’s predictable blow.

Ehi smirked.

Beedie’s heart began to pound. He could feel himself start to lose control from the confrontation with Ehi. The smirk on Ehi’s face grew even wider and Beedie knew he had to wipe it off. The quintise magic began to take effect. His eyes turned golden and his claws and fangs came out. It couldn’t have happened any faster as far as Beedie was concerned. This was exactly what he’d wanted. He’d started to think of the quintise magic as a friend, a friend which gave him surges of power he couldn’t even begin to reach without it. And he’d lied a bit to Lami. He wasn’t as sorry as he’d claimed for the lives lost. The guilt he felt was going down with each life he took. Danny should have known better, Beedie thought as he completely lost control.

Ehi thought about dragging it on, then he saw the smile on Beedie’s face as he welcomed the quintise magic and thought again. This boy would be trouble. Ehi could tell from that smile.

‘Little help sis.’ Ehi thought as he grabbed onto Beedie’s right hand. The boy’s left claws came for his face and he narrowly escaped them. ‘Now Ose!’ Ehi snapped in his mind.

‘I’m supposed to be the alpha.’ Ose’s voice boomed in his head.

Ehi could feel her strength as soon as she gave it to him. It felt as if he was being supercharged. He’d been distracted and so Beedie had been able to break himself free and attack with his other hand. Those claws tore into Ehi’s face. Ehi saw Beedie’s open mouth follow his flying claws and he decided the fight had gone on for long enough. His strength combined with his sister’s and he grabbed Beedie by the mouth, deliberately sinking his hand into Beedie’s fangs.

As soon as that happened the boys gasped.

Ehi smiled.

With his right hand still clamping Beedie’s mouth open, he slammed his left fist into Beedie’s face, cracking the boy’s jaw bone. The pain overwhelmed all of Beedie’s emotions, yanking him back from under the control of the quintise magic. It also made him weaker. Ehi pushed Beedie’s head down and slammed his kneecap into his face. All the students heard the sounds of bones breaking. Ehi let go of Beedie. As Beedie dropped to the floor, Ehi kneed him in the lower abdomen rhetorically asking, “what did I just say about losing control when I’m in this school?”

Beedie collapsed into a bleeding mess on the floor.

Ehi scoffed at him and then walked away.

The wolves’ eyes widened. They stared at him, watching silently as his skin began to take on the golden pigmentation from Beedie’s venom flowing through his system. Ehi felt it, but it had the impact of a tiny quiver in his belly. He’d been trained for moments like this, taught how to postpone death from an alpha’s venom for long enough to get a quintise. It was a lesson he’d learned while training with his siblings. Ose’s mark always won against all the alpha’s their father got to bite them. And these were lessons he’d learned before he turned six. The venom made its way to Ehi’s chest and was pushed back by the strength of Ose’s mark. Ehi felt the venom leave him.

The students watched it happen. They watched the brown move to replace the gold, returning Ehi to his normal color. They whispered about the beta whose will was stronger than a natural born alpha’s. Victor knew it was impossible.

“How did you fight off the venom?” Victor asked.

Ehi smiled, nodding slightly at him in praise. “I’ve bound my will to my alpha. It makes me immune to the quintise magic. Just as being Osezele’s thrall has made you immune to it as well. Binding my will to my alpha also means that I can request her strength, and bind her mark to mine, if she allows it.” Ehi turned his attention from Victor to the gaping boys around him. “Binding your will to your alpha doesn’t have to be a bad thing. With the right alpha, it is the ultimate pack experience. His strength is yours, his power is yours, his will cements the pack, it holds it together. It’s a brotherhood for life. A lifelong bond, through the alpha to each werewolf in the pack. It also has the perk of making you able to live through an alpha’s bite, as long as your alpha is stronger than the one who bit you. So, what will it be? Or are you afraid you don’t have an alpha worthy of binding your wills to?”

‘Good speech.’ Ose teased in his head.

‘Get out of my head.’ Ehi snapped jokingly.

‘You’re welcome.’ She said, feigning outrage and then she chuckled as she pulled her mark back from him.

It was different for them. While he could communicate with his sister in his head, these wolves would never be able to. Because, it wasn’t binding his will to hers that allowed them to communicate in their minds, it was that special thing very few knew about. It was being a whole set. It allowed them to bond in ways augurs couldn’t even begin to imagine.

Ricky stepped forward, surprising everyone by being the first to speak. “I’m not afraid. I’ll do it gladly.” He smiled at Nosa as he said, “you’re the only one I’d trust my will to. Which works out perfectly since you’re the strongest wolf in the pack. It’s about time you became the pack alpha.”

The SS2 boys cheered Ricky loudly. They patted him on the back, echoing his sentiments much to the obvious discomfort of the SS3 boys. Beedie glared at Ricky and the SS2 boys cheering him on. In the silence of his mind he vowed to make them pay when he won, when he beat Nosa once and for all and wiped that smug look off Nosa’s face. He could see how much Nosa was enjoying this and Beedie swore to every god that ever existed that he would make Nosa rue this day. Ricky would regret it. And, as he watched Silver step forward agreeing to have his will bound to the alpha, he added Silver’s name to the list of people who’d have to pay. Beedie jumped back up to his feet. In his mind he could see an image he’d fought for so long to suppress, the image of a dead teacher, one who’d been in the wrong place at the wrong time. He’d been ashamed of what he’d done that night, so ashamed he’d blocked it out. But not anymore. Now he reveled in it. He stared at Ehi and vowed to give him the same treatment as he gave his predecessor. They would all pay. Nosa, Ricky, Silver, Ehi, Lami, the SS2 boys, every single one of them would pay for the disrespect they were treating him to.

One of the SS2 betas turned to Lanky. “What’s wrong?” he teased. “You don’t think your alpha’s as strong as ours?” The SS2 boys laughed jeeringly. “Or is it that you don’t think he’s worthy of having your will bound to?”

Another SS2 boy yelled out, “What is it Beedie? You dey fear?”

The SS2 boys laughed even louder now.

Beedie ground his teeth together. He took a step forward, glaring at the SS2 boys. That just made them laugh louder. Beedie turned towards his somewhat loyal SS3 betas and jerked his head forward, in a clear order for them to step up and agree to have their wills bound to him when he won.

Some of them moved, others stayed behind. Lanky, who was supposed to be Beedie’s unofficial second, was the most notable of the ones who stayed behind.

Beedie added Lanky’s name to the list of the people who would have to pay for the insults he’d been treated to that evening.

“Don’t worry Lanky,” one of the SS2 betas called out, “you can trust your will with Nosa. He’s the kind of alpha werewolves die for!”

The SS2 betas cheered even more rowdily.

Nosa turned around then. He didn’t know why he did it, he just did. He turned around, taking his attention to the SS3 boys who stayed behind. He passed a cursory look over the lot of them and stopped when he locked eyes with Lanky.

Something unexpected happened in that moment.

Lanky switched sides.

Nosa looked away. He didn’t know that he’d gotten the support of the second most influential werewolf in SS3, didn’t know anything other than that he wanted the entire disaster with the quintise magic to be over with.

But Lanky saw something in Nosa, something he’d seen in Emeka the day Emeka guided his first transformation. It was the call to serve an alpha. Lanky didn’t know how it happened or why it did, just that it had.

He stepped forward and the rest of the SS3 boys walked with him.

Ehi nodded.

Right there, in front of them all, he formed a dark mist around himself and teleported away. The wolves didn’t get the chance to become antsy because moments later, Ehi was back. He brought three things with him. One was an empty light-blue glass bowl another was a small cup made out of calabash, and the last was a tall wooden stool. He put the glass bowl on the stool and stood off to the side.

“Step forward,” he ordered. “You have to give me a bit of your blood of your own free will. The blood serves two purposes. First it ensures that it is your desire to have the mark suppressed. If you don’t put your blood in the bowl, you can’t take the potion which suppresses the mark. The second is to bind your will to the alpha’s. After the alpha brawl, the quintise will use the contents of this bowl to perform the binding spell.”
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 12:40am On Jan 18
Nosa was the first to walk forward. He walked through a group of chanting boys, slapping him on his back, hitting him on the back of his head, shoving him, punching him in in the side and stomach, and he took it all with a smile on his face. He stopped in front of the glass bowl and went partially into his mark, letting the gold in his eyes shine. He flicked his little finger and the claw came out. He used that claw to tear into his other hand and watched as drops of his blood went into the glass bowl and was swallowed up by it. Then he began walking away when,

“How do you do that?” Ricky asked, staring at Nosa’s eyes and his single claw.

Nosa chuckled. “It’s a natural born alpha thing. Don’t worry, I’ll teach you.” That sent the SS2 wolves off on another round of cheers. This time it was Ricky who they egged on. One of them pushed Ricky forward, making him next in line.

Ricky stretched out his hand to Nosa.

Nosa lifted his right eyebrow in question.

“Could you do me with your claw?” Ricky asked.

Nosa smiled. He extended his hand, waited for Ricky to put it in his open palm and then he cut a small tear into Ricky’s hand. Ricky put his cut hand over the glass bowl and then stepped aside as the tear healed. An SS2 beta walked up next. He gave his hand to Nosa, following Ricky’s lead, and Nosa repeated the process. As the rest of the SS2 boys came forward, repeating the same gesture, the act morphed from the simple action of tearing flesh, to a symbolic action of showing their trust in Nosa.

Nosa accepted it, tearing slightly into each hand offered to him until the last SS2 boy was done.

What happened next made the SS2 boys gasp and the SS3 ones groan.

Lanky walked up.

He put his hand into Nosa’s.

Nosa couldn’t believe the submission he saw in Lanky’s eyes. His hand actually shook as he tore into Lanky’s palm.

Beedie’s blood was boiling with rage.

A few more SS3 boys followed Lanky’s lead, offering their hands to Nosa, and then Beedie walked forward. He glared at Nosa, before going into his mark and tearing into his own flesh. He watched the bowl absorb his blood and then shoved Nosa away, before taking his spot. He stretched out his hand for the rest of his classmates who were loyal. The rest of them came forward and repeated the process, giving their hands warily to Beedie, all the while staring at Nosa with apologetic looks.

Nosa couldn’t believe it.

Beedie was furious. His anger made him tear much deeper than he needed to.

Finally, the blood draw ended.

Ehi passed around the calabash instructing that they put their hands into the calabash and pull out a single cube. Their hands were grated by the side of the calabash walls as they made to pull out the cubes. That grating tested their blood against the blood absorbed by the bowl and allowed them get to the cubes if the blood matched. Each one of them pulled out a cube from the calabash. After they had all gotten cubes, Ehi told them to eat it. They were a bit wary at first, but after Nosa shrugged and threw his in his mouth, his betas followed. The SS3 boys did as well, not wanting to look less brave than their juniors.

“I can feel it.” Victor muttered.

Nosa nodded in agreement. They were referring to the loss of their wolf mark. For the ones affected by the quintise magic, it felt like the first time in a long time that they could finally breathe.

In an uncharacteristically charitable move, Ehi teleported them across the fence so they wouldn’t have to climb it. With their wolf marks suppressed, they wouldn’t be able to heal as quickly as they once had.

When he got back, he walked back towards Osezele. He had to give it to her, she’d done a lot more training with the pillar than he’d expected. For all the commotion going on with the wolves, she’d only turned around seventy percent of the time. She had the good sense to look guilty when he stopped in front of her.

“Now, I need to speak to the wielder.” Ehi stated, ignoring her previous lack of attention to the task he’d given her.

“Wielder?” Osezele asked excited. “What is a wielder? I asked uncle Oare, but he was in so much of a hurry with Seclusion that he didn’t explain.”

Ehi smiled, another uncharacteristic gesture. But he was in a good mood. He didn’t know why dealing with a troubled pack would put him in this mood, but it had. “Wielders are a special type of marked with a gift for killing varmints.” He replied. “They can come from any non-varmint class. A long time ago, when the marked world was ruled by monarchies, wielders fought with whips. They were an elite fighting group in the royal guard. Since the creation and growth of InCoSeM, wielders have become something of an endangered species. InCoSeM wants them, we don’t know why, but we suspect it’s because of the poison. There is a special poison, one that only wielders can make. That poison is the fastest way to kill a varmint. In the old days the poison was only put in dilute doses into whips and only wielders could use them. These days the poison is put in concentrated doses into knives and swords and pins. Technically, only InCoSeM wielders are legally allowed to own those weapons, but things like that can’t really be controlled anymore. Those weapons are now available to the highest bidder, you just have to know where to look.”

Osezele’s eyes widened. Things were coming into place now. The dagger that Lami had given her to help control the werewolves. Thankfully she hadn’t had to use it, but that had to be one of the weapons Ehi was talking about. And the banewhip Lami had, had to be another. Osezele remembered Oare’s words, after she’d shown him the vision. “It’s Lami!” Osezele gasped, shocked by the revelation that things like wielders existed and that there was one right there in their school. If only they’d known from the start, they could have kept Elliot and Danny alive. Why hadn’t she called Lami sooner?

“Be a doll and fetch her, would you?” Ehi prompted

Osezele nodded. She dropped her wooden cutlass and was gone.

Ehi whistled. Had she truly picked up controlling the wind so quickly, he wondered to himself.

He paced the grounds in front of the incomplete building as he waited for their return.

Lami shook her head at Osezele, ignoring the girl hovering in the air above her, as she carefully climbed the fence. She had on thick gloves which protected her hands from the barbed wire, but she still had to be careful with her feet. Coming down was a little easier. As she narrowly escaped a coiled wire springing back into place on her way down, she began to rethink her decision to not use magic to part the gate. They had so little juice left in their talismans that Lami didn’t want to waste it on unneeded magic like tearing a hole through the fence.

She jumped down unto the other side of the fence. Osezele landed beside her.

“You’re really enjoying this wind, aren’t you?” Lami teased.

Osezele nodded laughing. “Lami,” Osezele began carefully.

“What is it? This one that you’re calling my name like person wey no get voice.”

Osezele giggled. “Why did you tell me to come out after Aishat counted this morning? She was really hurt.”

Lami looked at Osezele and smiled. She waited a pause as they continued to walk towards the silhouette by the incomplete building. “Because I wanted to see what your relationship with Aishat was like.”

“Why didn’t you just ask me?” Osezele asked with a slightly raised voice.

Lami stopped. She crossed her arms over her chest and frowned at Osezele.

“I’m sorry.” Osezele rushed to state.

Lami hissed. “You’re lucky that Moji came back today and I’m in a good mood.” She turned around and continued walking, picking up the pace.

They walked the rest of the way in silence.

“Lami, this is my uncle Ehi.” Osezele introduced as soon as they reached him. “Uncle Ehi, this is Lami.”

Ehi took a moment to measure her up. There was a certain confidence in the way she stood. And there was that severe look on her face. There was ruthlessness in her, he could sense it. Definitely a wielder, he thought.

“You can go now Osezele.” Ehi stated. “We’ll continue your training tomorrow.”

Osezele nodded. “Thank you uncle Ehi.” She said. She turned around to leave, but Lami stopped her.

“Wait.” Lami ordered. She turned her focus back towards Ehi. There was something familiar about his bearing. She knew she’d never seen him before, but she felt as if she knew people like him. There was just something so familiar about his comportment. She directed her next words to him. “We think there is an agent in the school, someone working for the people behind everything that’s been happening to us. We spent a long time looking for the agent, but now, we think we know who it is.”

“Really?” Ehi asked impressed.

Lami nodded curtly. “The problem is that we don’t have any proof. If I had proof when Osezele told me last night, that girl won’t still be in the school right now.”

“I see. I have the perfect solution.” He said.

“What is it?” Osezele asked.

“Ame.” Ehi replied, smiling a little. “Juice of the elements. It’s like a truth serum, only more painful. Go get your rest Osezele. Tomorrow evening, we are going to have a trial.”

Ehi was stunned by the evil smile on Osezele’s face. She ran with the wind before he could dig deeper into it, but the fact that it existed at all, shocked him. He would never have thought that Osezele had it in her to wish anyone ill. But from the look on her face, she hated the agent. Interesting, Ehi thought, adding that to his mental repertoire.

Lami cleared her throat.

Ehi turned to face her.

“Osezele said you wanted to see me.” Lami prompted. “Is it about my sister?”

Ehi shook his head. “Where did you train?” he asked.

“Train?” Lami replied with a question of her own.

“Which wielder horde do you belong to?” Ehi asked.

Lami laughed. “So, you heard about that huh? Well, I’m not actually a wielder. I just told Beedie that to keep him in line. He’s always been terrified of wielders. He confessed it to me when we just started in St. Luke’s, in JSS1. He must have forgotten.”

Ehi couldn’t believe it. “Beedie didn’t tell me you were a wielder, my brother did. He saw it in the way you fought with the banewhip. Oare is never wrong about things like this. And you have that air about you.”

“No.” Lami replied still laughing. “My mother taught me how to fight with the whip. And before you ask, no she isn’t a wielder either. She’s just a very good fighter.”

Ehi laughed at her naivety. “When a mother wants to teach her daughter to protect herself, she teaches her how to use a knife, a dagger, maybe even a sword. Certainly not a whip.”

Lami frowned. “I don’t have the mark.”

“Have you killed a varmint?” Ehi countered.

Lami warily shook her head.

“The mark comes out after you take your first varmint life.” Ehi bent slightly, catching and holding her gaze. He stared into those eyes for seconds, watching as they widened with fear of the possibility of truth in his words. He realized that she truly hadn’t known what she was. “A wielder should not be without her horde. It’s a very dangerous world for your kind Lami.” Ehi felt a bit of kinship with wielders. He always had. He knew he wasn’t one, but there was something about them that pulled at him.

Lami shook her head. She took a step back, breaking the look they shared. She frowned. “My parents did every marked test. If I was a wielder, I would know.”

“Your parents know. If your mother didn’t know, she wouldn’t have trained you with a whip. Every wielder is born into a horde. Your horde matron would have known you the moment you were born. She would have reached out to your parents. She would have taken you from them, unless exceptions were made, and your parents swore to bring you back to her.”

Lami’s head shaking grew even more vigorous as her denial grew. Ehi grabbed onto her shoulder in a bid to calm her. Lami shrugged his hands off her. “It’s not possible.”

“Where’s the banewhip?” he asked.

Lami had sewn a secret stash into her uniform to keep the long whip. She’d thought it would make it difficult to bend throughout the day, but she’d been wrong. It had been comfortable. Too comfortable she thought with a frown.

Lami turned around, giving herself time to think as she undid the straps. Now that she thought about it, she was a little too informed about wielders. While her mother’s lessons with Moji had focused on Moji’s mark, with Lami it had centered around the whip. She’d never really thought about how strange that was.

Lami sighed.

She pulled out the solid banewhip and removed the heavy cloth wrapping she’d made to protect herself from the shards. All for the safety of the wolves, she thought with a sigh. She handed the whip over to Ehi.

Ehi took the handle and he flicked his wrists. Nothing happened. The whip remained as it was, straight, solid, intertwined wires.

He handed it back to Lami. “Give it a flick.” He urged.

Lami took the banewhip from him with a shaky hand. She flicked her wrist and the previously solid wires turned into a whip, just as it had the day she’d separated the wolves. She’d thought it had been luck that day, but now she knew different. “It doesn’t turn to a whip when you use it does it?”

“Banewhips only turn to whips when they’re wielded. That’s where the name wielder comes from. It wouldn’t matter how much I tried. As long as I held it, it would remain straight solid wire, like a cane. You flick it, and it turns into the whip you want.”

“I’m a wielder.” Lami stated, stunned. “With a horde and an augur matron and everything?”

Ehi nodded. “I’m sorry I had to be the one to tell you.”

“I’m not.” Lami replied. “I’m happy I know. The legend of wielders is a little bit intimidating, but I’ve always looked up to them.” She smiled a little. “Do horde matrons really carry the pregnancy in their heads when a wielder is born into their horde?”

Ehi chuckled. “I’ve watched it happen. The swollen head looks as weird as it sounds.” He replied.

Lami giggled. “Can you tell me more about the hordes?”

Ehi nodded. “Let’s start from the beginning.”

3 Likes

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by GeoSilYe(f): 1:05am On Jan 18
Ahh ObehiD thank you so muchhhhh

As for Beedie let that jealousy and anger burst that his wicked head, nonsense and ingredient!
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by sampz: 7:30am On Jan 18
see tori
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by lukfame(m): 8:25am On Jan 18
Thanks for the long update. I enjoy reading your stories.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Ultimategeneral: 9:52am On Jan 18
Wao osazele gathering her soldiers unknowingly

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

I Am Done With Honorary Awards, Says Soyinka / Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer / The Pain Of Pleasure - A Must Read For Every Lady And Her Boyfriend.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 661
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.