₦airaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,212,141 members, 4,829,581 topics. Date: Saturday, 23 March 2019 at 05:49 AM

The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book - Literature (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book (20411 Views)

The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) / TÉLLÀ ( A Paranormal Story) / Grabbing The Hot Gate ( A Paranormal Novel) By Akintayo Akinjide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by siralabai(m): 10:02am On Jan 18
I'm left hungry for more. So Lami is a real weilder. That school is a blessed one.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 10:37am On Jan 18
Odehiiidd. ooooo what did i do to deserve this over loaded excitement? My God beedie got what he deserves again grin grin grin . Loving this update is an under statement. Make i hammer, Netflix must by this movie $23,000,000 this is sweeter than merlin. Wow girl keeping it coming
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by monalicious(f): 6:30pm On Jan 18
Obehid I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love yo I love you
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by monalicious(f): 7:34pm On Jan 18
Why do I have a feeling NOAA's over confidence wld almost mess him up. I really hope not oh. Beedie needs to be contained. I wish he cld be expelled to the community
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by spixytinxy(f): 7:38pm On Jan 18
Me I can never get enough but it will b selfish of me to ask for more. Thanks for dis long update.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by spixytinxy(f): 7:40pm On Jan 18
Me I can never get enough but it will b selfish of me to ask for more. Thanks for dis long update.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 10:06pm On Jan 18
chai, alpha brawl, let nosa win ooo, and pls expose the agent(binta) quickly, her days of evil is over. And those welders must be very dangerous for incosem to want them. Patiently waiting for Monday
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 10:09pm On Jan 18
monalicious:
Why do I have a feeling NOAA's over confidence wld almost mess him up. I really hope not oh. Beedie needs to be contained. I wish he cld be expelled to the community

I thought it was only me, but if his over confidence mess him up, then it will be like a cliche(a predicted move in a movie or story used many times in other movies or stories) and I am having this feeling that obehiD will want to make use of the cliche.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 10:12pm On Jan 18
Fazemood:
Odehiiidd. ooooo what did i do to deserve this over loaded excitement? My God beedie got what he deserves again grin grin grin . Loving this update is an under statement. Make i hammer, Netflix must by this movie $23,000,000 this is sweeter than merlin. Wow girl keeping it coming

and I thought I was the only one that was thinking this story should be adapted by Netflix into a series, but I did not want to mention it cuz it might sound awkward, dis story for make sense die for Netflix series just like dem Teen Wolf, The Originals and Vampires Dairies.

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by phoenixchap: 7:12pm On Jan 19
Thanks ObehiD... I'm so appreciative, Love this update been reading and re-reading Gosh in awestruck but this latest update but you know now. Oliver twist (Give me more tongue)
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by phoenixchap: 7:14pm On Jan 19
Friday is to late a wait pls ooo. Just do 2 1k words and I will gladly wait till next week please.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 8:03am On Jan 20
Wow, so many comments! I'm so excited!!! Haha, thank you all grin. I love reading comments smiley

So, drum-roll, I am almost done writing this book. I'm working on the last few chapters now. That means I can now increase the amount of posts I make a week! I will be posting four times this week. One right now (after this comment), then Tuesday morning, Thursday morning and Saturday morning. The pace is going to be considerably faster now, and I really hope you all enjoy it.

@GeoSilYe thank you for thanking me grin, and thank you for your continuing support with this story. I really appreciate it! As for Beedie...yes oh, that reminds me (see bolded comment below)...but Beedie, anyway, he may still turn around and become a human being.

GENERAL QUESTION/NOTE FOR EVERYONE: Did anyone catch the part where Beedie confesses in his thoughts to killing Mr. Danladi? I haven't really seen any comments about it, so I just thought I should make sure it doesn't just pass by unnoticed!

@sampz Eh! Indeed oh, come and see tori lol cheesy

@lukfame Thank you for enjoying it! It really means a lot to me that you do, so thanks again grin

@Ultimategeneral As in ehn, you read my mind oh. After I read that Ehi told Lami she was a wielder, I was just thinking, about Osezele's luck cheesy. I have to commend the way you're putting some connections together!!! I like it sha...that's all I will say.

@siralabia Come and eat oh! Next update is out after this! Haha. And I was thinking the same thing with Lami's wielder thing. That school get as e be. See all the things they have:
- tri-marked warlock
- spotter with pieces of spectral in him
- wielder
- an unmarked that knows SOOO much about the marked
- plus the jaras => an omega, a commune leak...
The school is indeed a blessed one.

@Fazemood Ah-ah, you don't have to do anything to deserve it na. It should just be given by virtue of coming to read grin lol. Thank you! Let me come and be praying so that you will hammer oh!

@monalicious Hey! Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!
It's more than your own because the thank you for staying with this story for so long is also included in there! As to Nosa's overconfidence, what can we do, except hope that he doesn't let it hamper him! Ah, you're grasping the full extent of Beedie's something. The problem with sending him to the community is that he will not keep the marked in St. Luke's secret. Anyway, he is still young, there is still room for change

@spixytinxy Thank you for thanking me, and hearing that you can't get enough, even after this long one, it's like pure bliss. So, thank you again! I really appreciate it.

@Peaceyw Well, we'll see how this Binta exposure will go smiley I agree, there has to be more to wielders for InCoSeM to want them like this. As for the alpha brawl, that is another one to look forward to...and you know why cliches are cliches? Because people like them tongue lol grin

@phoenixchap Ah, if after this one you still want more, then there is no satisfying your hunger. Kukuma change your name to Oliver Twist and rest, hahaha! Jokes aside, thank you, thank you so much for the continuing support and interest. I appreciate it. Ps, who's waiting till Friday? By Friday three new chapters would have come out oh! I'm posting the next one now, so, Oliver Twist, come and eat grin
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 8:06am On Jan 20
Chapter Thirty-nine
----------------------------------------------------
St. Luke’s, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria
----------------------------------------------------

One day after visiting and the atmosphere in St. Luke’s was a mixture of contentment and longing. The students were happy to have gotten the chance to visit with their families, but also sad as the visiting had only served to highlight their status away from home. After the one free day without the rigid schedule, it was back to the grueling pace of the school. This fact was highlighted by the students running along the walkway towards the school block. It was a marathon for the junior students who began running outside the refectory at the sight of Rume, the SS1 time keeper, and then continued when, once out of Rume’s field of view, they encountered Tolani. At the first sign of respite, after running passed Tolani, they saw Nosa, and so they continued on the run, stopping only when they got past him, which was a few feet away from the school block.

Osezele and Ricky walked along the walkway besides Tolani. While the rest of their classmates ran at the sight of Nosa, they didn’t, because they enjoyed the distinction of walking by Tolani who, due to her post, didn’t have to run from any senior prefect. That was just one of the many perks Tolani enjoyed.

“I can’t wait for Binta’s trial.” Osezele said.

Tolani giggled. Ricky scoffed. “Good for you.” He stated.

“What?” she asked.

Ricky turned towards her and smiled slightly. “Good for you.” He repeated. “You’re always so nice, it’s good to see that you can be human.” His face turned solemn as he added, “I can’t wait for it too. That girl is going to pay for what happened to Danny.”

Osezele’s brows pulled together at the frightening tone of Ricky’s voice.

“You sound like you want to kill her.” Tolani joked.

“I do.” Ricky replied flatly.

Osezele gasped.

Tolani’s eyes widened.

Ricky looked at the both of them, studied their reactions and then looked away. “If she’s the agent, she’s responsible for killing so many people. She deserves to die.”

“I hate her.” Osezele confessed. “I never knew I could hate anyone, but I hate her. Still, I don’t want her to die. If we wish her dead, then we aren’t any better than she is. Leave vengeance to God.”

Ricky scoffed. He didn’t make any comment. After that painful day, the day he lost the only boy who’d ever gotten past his defenses, he’d grown a soft spot for Osezele, and so he kept his thoughts to himself.

“What’s your best outcome?” Tolani asked. “What do you want to happen after the trial?”

“I want her out of here.” Osezele replied emphatically. Out where she couldn’t cause any more trouble.

“That’s it?” Ricky asked, frowning.

“I won’t cry if Lami flogs her with that banewhip thing.” Osezele retorted a little menacingly.

Ricky approved. Tolani burst out laughing.

Osezele found herself giggling a bit too. She was about to make another comment when she saw him. As soon as Osezele saw Nosa, her heart rate picked up. She stopped walking in the middle of the walkway, disrupting the flow of the running students behind her.

“What is it?” Tolani asked, stopping as well.

Ricky stopped. He turned his attention to Osezele and waited.

“Nosa.” Osezele’s voice was half way between a groan and a gasp.

“So?” Ricky asked frowning.

Tolani rolled her eyes ignoring him. “Do you want us to go the other way?” she offered, fully understanding Osezele’s plight.

Osezele began to nod when Ricky cut in. “No way.” He stated. “There is no way in hell that I am walking all the way around, just so you can avoid seeing Nosa. Forget it.”

Tolani poked Ricky sharply in his side with her elbow. “Do you want us to go around?” she asked.

Osezele swallowed, and then she shook her head. “We’re just friends.” She stated. “I can talk to my friend.”

Ricky scoffed. “Girls.” He muttered, shaking his head. He continued walking.

“Did he just say ‘girls’?” Tolani asked, pointedly turning to her right to look at Osezele.

Osezele nodded.

Tolani turned back around and faced Ricky fully.

Ricky arrogantly quirked an eyebrow at her as if asking ‘what are you going to do about it?’

Tolani frowned at him. She lifted her hand up and tried to hit him, but by the time her hand came down, he’d started running away. Tolani followed, chasing after him. Ricky turned around and, running with his back, yelled out “Stop it!”

Osezele yelled “Tolani!” when she noticed how close they’d gotten to them.

Tolani and Ricky were so fixated on each other that they didn’t see the couple walking behind them. Ricky kept running until he heard a “Hey!” which was followed by the sound of a person hitting the ground. He stopped running and turned around. Tolani stopped too. They both stared with barely suppressed smiles as they looked at Binta’s irate face.

Ricky turned to face Osezele and he winked at her, as if he’d tripped Binta down on purpose.

Binta didn’t miss that wink.

It took Nosa a while to realize the chaos going on around him, but as soon as he did, he stretched out his hand to help Binta up, and then he frowned at Ricky and Tolani.

“Sorry bro.” Ricky said to Nosa.

Nosa’s eyebrows pulled together as his frown deepened. “I’m not the one you should be apologizing to.” He chastised.

Ricky took one dismissive look at Binta, saying “sorry” in the least remorseful way he could.

Osezele joined them. She’d unconsciously started walking faster as soon as she’d seen the collision. She tried to get her eyes to focus on anyone but him, but she couldn’t help herself. She smiled at Nosa and waved saying. “Hey friend.”

Nosa inhaled sharply at that smile. “Hello.” He replied.

They stared at each other as if they were the only ones there. That look lasted all of three seconds before Binta wrapped her arm around Nosa’s waist and pulled closer to him.

“Is that all you have to say?” she demanded.

Nosa frowned. Binta’s arm around him had gotten Osezele’s attention more than his. Osezele looked away. Nosa looked down at Binta. “What do you mean?” he asked.

“They just pushed me to the ground!” she whined.

Tolani rolled her eyes at Binta’s overreaction.

Nosa sighed. He bent so that his head was closer to her ear and then asked in a whisper, “what do you want me to do?”

Binta gasped with shock. “She didn’t even apologize!” she screamed.

Nosa closed his eyes, put his fingers against his temples as if to massage them, and then opened his eyes back up. He turned to face Tolani and said, “apologize.”

“For what?” Tolani demanded. “It was a mistake, and I’m not the one who hit her.”

Nosa’s eyes narrowed in warning at Tolani.

“Fine.” Tolani acquiesced. “I’m sorry.” She said, looking at the air to the left of Binta.

“I wasn’t talking about her.” Binta stated in reply.

“Who then?” Nosa asked, starting to get irritated.

Binta heard the irritation in his voice, but in her jealousy, she was too irrational to pay heed to it. “Her.” She said, inclining her head towards Osezele.

Osezele didn’t react, she just turned her attention to Nosa while Tolani clapped her hands together in exaggerated shock and Ricky shook his head, muttering ‘girls’ again.

“No!” Nosa replied emphatically. “She wasn’t even here when they hit you, why should she apologize?”

Binta gasped. Her eyes filled with tears as she stared at Nosa. “They did it because of her!” she exclaimed. “She told them to do it.”

“You’re being silly.” Nosa scolded. “Osezele would never do anything like that.”

Osezele looked at the floor to hide her reaction to Nosa’s words. Tolani didn’t make any attempt to hide the smirk on her face. Neither did Ricky.

“You’re calling me silly, in front of her?” Binta asked. The tears in her eyes threatened to pour.

For the first time since he found out about the pregnancy, Nosa found himself immune to her tears. “Why do you always have to be so dramatic?” he asked in reply.

Binta sniffed. She rose her hand to cover her face, but only after she made sure Nosa saw the first few tears drop. Then she turned around, and ran away, smiling victoriously when Nosa called out behind her, “Binta! Come back now, I’m sorry…” She didn’t turn around. He deserved to wallow in his guilt for the way he treated her in front of Tolani, Ricky and that girl.

Osezele’s short victory had turned sour by Binta’s overreaction and Nosa’s guilt. Now it was just awkward. “See you.” She said to Nosa, not really expecting a response as she walked away.

She didn’t get one.

Nosa was too preoccupied with worrying about his supposedly pregnant girlfriend, to pay attention to her. Tolani eyed him, glaring at him as she walked away with Osezele. Tolani didn’t know how Osezele did it, but she couldn’t. There was no amount of love that could make Nosa’s actions tolerable to her.

After the girls walked away, Ricky tsked, moving closer to Nosa. He bumped Nosa with his shoulder and then said, “I was trying to help you out dude, but you just made a mess of things.”

Nosa frowned. He turned to Ricky and glared at him. “Help me, is that what that was? Because, thanks to you and your careless feet, I’m going to be apologizing to Binta for the rest of the day.”

“Dude, you need to get your balls back from her.” Ricky teased.

Nosa scowled, but he didn’t say anything.

“That girl is…” Ricky broke off. He’d been updated about the whole agent thing, including Nosa’s unshakable faith in Binta. “Everyone can see how much you love Osezele, but you stay with Binta like she has you leashed or something. What gives?”

Nosa sighed. He managed a sad smile for Ricky, before he turned his gaze back towards the looming school block in front of them.

Ricky shook his head. “What the Bleep man? I don’t do alphas, but you made me change my mind, you made me want to be part of a pack as long as you were the head. You did that. You’re a good guy, so I don’t understand why you’re doing this to her. Can’t you see how much it’s hurting her, how much you’re hurting her.”

Nosa had the choice between anger and guilt and he already felt guilty. He felt guilty every time he looked at her and saw that smile on her face. He felt guilty about not being able to let her go. All he felt was guilt. “Since when do you care so much about Osezele?” he snapped at Ricky.

Ricky stopped. He jumped into Nosa’s way, forcing Nosa to stop too. “I hate girls.” Ricky said. “Especially the good catholic girls. But before Danny died, he was so low. He was hurting because he couldn’t be catholic and love me. He went to Osezele asking her to pray for him. He went to her expecting disgust and condemnation and she showed him more compassion than his parents. So yeah, I care about her. My question is why the Bleep don’t you?”

Nosa exhaled. There was a part of him that wanted to lash out at Ricky, a voice in his head that told him it would be easier, but with the mark gone, that voice was just a little pest. The sane part of himself was much louder. “I love her. Of course I want to be with her. But I can’t. I have responsibilities Rick.” Nosa said, whispering so that the running students wouldn’t hear him.

“Responsibilities?” Ricky spat the word out. “What, is Binta pregnant?” he joked.

Ricky saw the truth in Nosa’s eyes.

“Oh. That sucks. Dude, I’m so sorry.”

Nosa shrugged. “It’s my child, I’m not sorry that he or she exists, I just wish I’d been more careful. I wish I’d waited, I wish I hadn’t slept with Binta.”

“Upsides of being gay, I don’t have to worry about that.” Ricky teased.

Nosa’s lips twitched in a smile gesture. That was the best he could do. Ricky got out of his way and the both of them continued their walk towards the school block in silence. Nosa focused on the running feet slapping against the ground. He couldn’t pick up the sounds he would have been able to with his mark, but it was still relaxing, still able to distract him from thinking about Osezele.

“Nova!” A loud voice boomed as a hand clamped onto Nosa’s shoulder from behind.

Nosa barely had a second to reorient himself before all the SS3 betas descended on him calling out teasing greetings as they encircled him. They slapped him on the shoulder, shoved him lightly, all while calling him ‘Nova’ and teasing him about being a lady-killer.

Nosa actually managed to keep a smile on his face throughout the onslaught.

“What was that?” Ricky asked, as the group of SS3 betas moved on, smiling back at Nosa as they walked away.

“That is the smell of the wind changing.” An SS2 beta called out from behind them. He hit Ricky playfully on the back of his head and nodded in greeting to Nosa. Nosa nodded back.

“Can I join?” he asked, walking to Nosa’s other side.

Nosa nodded.

“Wind changing?” Ricky asked.

“From Beedie to Nosa. The SS3 boys are ready to bow to you Casanova.” He chuckled.

“That name is going to stick isn’t it?” Nosa groaned, pushing down his instinct to revel in the boy’s words.

The beta nodded.

“Okay, my eyes weren’t playing tricks on me then, because it looked like they were kissing your ass.” Ricky commented.

The SS2 beta laughed.

Again, Nosa didn’t respond.

Beedie stood behind them, watching with disbelief as his classmates had ignored his presence there and flocked to Nosa. He knew the SS2 beta was right, his classmates were throwing their support behind a younger alpha. Beedie was livid. He wanted to kill something, anything. But without his mark, all he felt from his rage was rage. There was no power, nothing but a fire burning in his belly to make them all pay for how easily they’d dismissed him. He was going to beat Nosa, he knew that. No matter what, regardless of the cost, he was going to beat Nosa and then he would deal with all his disloyal friends.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 8:06am On Jan 20
After the journey along the walkway, the students had a brief period to go into their classrooms and drop of their bags, before heading to the assembly ground. The students lined up into neat files on the bottom of the assembly ground. The senior prefects, Lami and Beedie, and their assistants, Nosa and Aishat, stood on the raised platform of distinction at the head of the assembly ground, leaning against the four pillars there. The teachers also stood on that platform with Ms. Flowers off to the left. This assembly was different. Because on that day, there was a new teacher standing on the raised platform. He was professionally dressed in a suit which looked much more expensive than anything any of the other teachers wore. He stood with his arms crossed behind him and his feel planted a few paces apart. He had his hair cut low in a similar style to people in the army. The students didn’t know who this man was, but he stood out from the other teachers on the platform, and so they couldn’t stop looking at him.

The assembly began in the usual fashion. The students sang a bit of praise and worship, then they had a student climb onto the platform and read the reflections for the day from a catholic booklet. After that the students sang the national anthem, said the pledge to their country and sang the school anthem. Once the school anthem was over, two SS3 students walked up to the raised platform and delivered the school news, which mostly consisted of funny anecdotes that had the students and teachers laughing. Not the new man though, the new teacher didn’t even smile. His face remained straight, as his hawk-like eyes scanned over the students. They were already developing a healthy fear of him.

After the news, Aishat walked forward from her position, towards the middle of the platform. She gave a bit of more directed news about school rules, reminding students that certain regulations were not optional. Ms. Flowers came forward after Aishat was done, and the period the students had been waiting for finally arrived. Ms. Flowers introduced the tall, imposing man as the new vice-principal. The students were to call him Mr. Ehi. She demanded a round of applause for him and the students willingly complied.

Ehi nodded towards the students and gave what the students would soon learn was a very rare gift.

He smiled.

None of his teeth showed, but it was a smile.

Then the assembly was dismissed, and the students were sent to their classrooms.

Victor was particularly slow in returning to his. He had the first period off, and he was determined to use it in talking to his girlfriend. She’d been avoiding him and he’d had enough of it. He knew she’d be going to their secret room and so he went to the library for a bit and then headed for the secret room of the marked.

Victor stopped when he got to it. He took a deep breath mentally preparing himself to walk in.

Lami stood with her back against the wall of paintings decorating the secret room of the marked in the school. She had her hands folded in front of her as she listened to Lanky talk.

“They’ll bow to Nosa.” Lanky promised.

Lami watched Lanky with a corner of her mouth tipped up. “Will they bow to him, or will they bow to anyone you tell them to?” she asked.

Lanky frowned, looking at her with narrowed eyes.

Lami hissed with disgust. “I’m not having this conversation with your eyes oh.”

Lanky smiled. “I did what you asked me to Lami. They’ll bow to Nosa.”

“And if it’s a choice between you and Nosa?”

Lanky gritted his teeth. “They’re not going to follow a natural born beta like themselves. If I can lead, then any of them can. They’ll choose Nosa. I’ll choose him.” Lanky added, looking down at the floor.

Lami smiled. “I hope he’s ready.” She stated.

Lanky nodded. “He is. He’s not the arrogant little boy who was fighting with Beedie at every turn. It wasn’t even hard to convince them. Somehow, along the way, Beedie lost their trust. Maybe it’s just easier to blame Beedie for Danny, than it is to blame themselves. You told me to exploit that, I did…”

Lanky stopped talking when he heard the door to the room open. This was one of the things he missed about losing his mark. It had been impossible to have anyone sneak up on him. Now he felt as if he was blind, constantly being surprised by people he wasn’t expecting. He couldn’t wait for the alpha brawl so that he could get his mark back.

Lanky gasped in shock as he felt soft hands clamp on his upper arms and yank him forward. After that, he felt a pair of lips lock against his. Small round breasts pressed against his chest. Lanky didn’t even have the chance to enjoy the kiss before Lami was pushing him away. He looked up to meet her eyes, and jerked backwards when he saw that she wasn’t even looking at him.

Lanky turned around.

Victor was standing by the door.

Lanky frowned at Lami. What was she trying to do to him? The last thing he needed was a fight with Silver. Not when Silver was Nosa’s best friend. Lanky pulled himself free of Lami’s hold and turned around. He marched towards the door, slowing when he reached it and the boy standing by it.

“I’m sorry.” He said to Victor.

Victor didn’t even look at him.

Lanky walked out and closed the door behind him. He started moving off towards his class but thought better of it. He decided to wait to talk to Silver, to make sure Silver knew he hadn’t been the one behind that kiss.

Victor knew.

As soon as the door closed behind Lanky, Victor put his hands on his waist and just stood there, staring at her. Lami had her arms crossed in front of her. She stared daggers at Victor. Neither of them said anything, they just stood in their individual spots glaring at each other.

After a while of meaningless glaring, Victor shook his head and walked towards her. Lami kept her posture, watching him with her eyes as he moved closer towards her. Victor stopped in front of her, standing far enough that he wasn’t in her face, but close enough to hold her if he lifted his arms.

“That was very productive.” Victor teased, sarcastically.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Lami replied. She rolled her eyes and then she looked away.

Victor’s head tilted back as he looked towards the ceiling as if praying for divine control. He took his gaze back to her. Lami eyed him and then looked away and Victor found himself chuckling. He’d just walked in on his girlfriend kissing another guy, and he found it funny? He didn’t know, but the alternative, getting angry, that would only make the situation worse. He knew that much. If he yelled at her, the Lami that terrorized the rest of the school would come out, and there was no reasoning with that girl.

“I hurt you. I know that, and I’m sorry for it.” Victor began. Lami looked at him, scoffed and then looked away. With his forefinger, Victor tipped her head back towards looking at him. There was anger in those eyes, but he could still see love. At least he liked to think he could. “I’m sorry. It came from a place of love. I wanted to protect you, I thought I had the bijoutise situation handled.”

“You obviously didn’t.” Lami remarked scathingly.

Victor’s jaw clenched. He looked to the ground, waited a few moments for his anger to pass, and then he looked back up at his intransigent girlfriend. “No, I didn’t.” he admitted. “I was in over my head. Osezele shouldn’t have been the one to call you, it should have been me.”

“Yes, it should have. So, why wasn’t it? Is it because you’re intimidated by me? You saw an opportunity to take charge and you took it, right? You wanted to make yourself feel like more of a man? You failed.” Lami hissed and then looked away.

Again, Victor took a pause to get himself back under control. “Mimi, now you’re just trying to hurt me. When I did it, it came from a place of love. Where is this coming from?”

Lami looked at him and then she looked away.

Victor sighed. “I can say I’m sorry till I’m blue in the face, if you’re not ready to forgive me, you won’t. If you need time Mimi, I’ll give it to you. If you need space, it’s yours. But we’re not children, so let’s stop acting childish. I love you, but what you did just now, kissing Lanky, it’s not okay. You can yell at me or you can give me the cold shoulder, but you cannot go around making out with other guys. You’re angry, so I’ll let this go, this one time, but it won’t happen again. We don’t play games Mimi.”

Lami exhaled. She stared at him for a while. Victor couldn’t begin to imagine what she was looking for in his eyes, but he didn’t look away. She could still take his breath away every time she smiled. She would always be the most important person to him. And she was hurting. If she needed someone to lash out at, he’d gladly be that person. But he wouldn’t stand aside while she disrespected herself. Lanky, he thought grimacing. He almost felt bad for her. She’d have to live with kissing Lanky for the rest of their time in school.

Lami bit her bottom lip and then she nodded.

Victor exhaled.

He smiled at her.

She smiled back.

His gaze went from her eyes to her smiling lips and the next thing he knew, he had his hands around her waist and hers around his neck. Victor couldn’t think of a single word to describe the way it felt when her lips molded against his. It had been so long that being with her again felt like coming home. He got lost in it. They moved backwards so that Lami was leaning against the wall, and Victor’s hands dropped lower, to the hem of her skirt. He began pulling it up.

The slap was so unexpected, Victor had to blink a couple of times to get his mind working properly after it.

He stared dumbfounded at Lami.

Her smile was plain evil as she said, “Do you really think it’s that easy?” Then she pushed him away and began walking towards the door.

Victor watched her hips sway as she walked away and groaned. She walked out, and he turned around and leaned back against the wall. He closed his eyes and let his head drop after the door shut behind her.

Moments later the door opened.

“Silver?” Lanky’s voice called out cautiously.

Victor shook himself out of it. He pushed himself off the wall and walked towards the door. Lanky moved aside when he got there. Victor walked out and closed the door behind him. He took one look at Lanky and then looked away. He was suddenly feeling an overwhelming urge to hit Lanky in the face.

“Look, I don’t know what you think you saw, but that wasn’t me oh. It’s Lami that just grabbed me and…”

Victor nodded. Still not looking at Lanky, he said, “I know” cutting Lanky off.

“So, me and you, we’re fine?” Lanky asked.

That made Victor turn. He frowned, his eyes scanning over Lanky’s face. What was this? He wondered as he looked at Lanky’s outstretched hand. “What,” Victor began, letting his gaze move upwards from Lanky’s open palm to his troubled face, “are you worried that now that our marks are gone, I can beat you?”

Lanky laughed awkwardly. “I just don’t want there to bad blood between us.” He said in reply, his hand still outstretched.

They both turned around when they heard two new voices approaching. Both voices were so familiar, Victor wasn’t surprised when Lanky called out ‘Nova’ in greeting. Apparently, the entire pack preferred Nova to Nosa, because most of them had taken to calling him that.

It was obvious that they’d interrupted something. Nosa and Ricky both stared at Lanky’s outstretched hand.

Victor watched the brows on Lanky’s head begin to furrow the moment Nosa got there. Understanding dawned as sweat formed on Lanky’s forehead. He didn’t care about Victor, it was Nosa he was worried about. Victor scoffed, and then he did what he always did for the pack, he put his own feelings aside. If Lanky was serious about accepting Nosa as alpha, Victor wasn’t going to be the one to get in the way. He shook Lanky’s hand, even managing a smile which calmed Lanky considerably. Then Lanky walked away, slightly bowing to Nosa as he did.

“It’s like being in a twilight zone. I can’t really believe everything I’m seeing.” Ricky remarked as he watched Lanky’s departing back. “The dude can’t tear his lips off your ass, it’s ridiculous.”

“Shouldn’t you be in your class?” Nosa asked, ignoring Ricky’s comment.

“Sure boss. Whatever you say boss.” Ricky replied and then he bowed slightly imitating Lanky. He ran away before Nosa’s raised leg hit the back of his.

Victor chuckled watching Ricky go. “He’s not wrong you know.” He commented. “It’s so bad, Lanky was even sucking up to me, an omega, all so he wouldn’t be on your bad side.”

Nosa swallowed. “I don’t know if I’m ready for this.” He confessed. “If you still think Beedie is the best alpha, I won’t even challenge him.”

“That ship has sailed.” Victor replied. “Besides, we already established that I never thought Beedie was the better alpha. Just the better one for the pack. With the SS3 boys acting the way they are now, it’s obvious that Beedie’s lost their trust and their respect. He’s no longer the best alpha for this pack.”

“Pfft.” Nosa replied. “They’re just ready to bow to me because it’s easier than blaming themselves.”

Victor couldn’t believe what Nosa said. He didn’t smile, didn’t make any sudden gestures, just feigned confusion as he asked, “What do you mean?” All the while wondering if Nosa had finally learnt the lessons he’d been trying to teach him.

“It’s easier to blame Beedie for everything that happened than blaming themselves. They put it all on Beedie and then turn to me as if I’m their redemption. What if it happens again? What if I can’t control the pack any more than Beedie could? I almost killed you Victor. What if I fail?”

Victor felt like a proud mother. He put his hand on Nosa’s shoulder as he reassured him. “Beedie was a spark igniting the fire. You may not be able to control it, but you will never be the one who starts it. You’ll make a great pack alpha Nosa, I’m not concerned about that. I’m more concerned about the alpha brawl. Everyone else seems to have written Beedie off, but I know Beedie. He won’t go down without a fight.”

“I look forward to giving him one.” Nosa stated smugly.

Then his mien changed.

He looked to the ground and then looked back up a little warily at Victor. “So, I have your support?” he asked. His voice shook a little with uncertainty.

“Always Casanova.” Victor teased in reply.

Nosa smiled.

2 Likes

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 10:46am On Jan 20
Chai, hot slap in the morning, it will ruin the rest of ur day, I like this whole new drama between Lami and Victor and we did not miss the part about Mr danladi's death ooo, it just flowed with the story and their was too much stuff to comment about due to the super long chapter. Quick question obehiD, if u are through with this book, how long will it take for u to begin the next one?
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by GeoSilYe(f): 11:07am On Jan 20
Yes ObehiD I remembered that part of Beedie's thoughts.

He has messed up so bad by trying to prove that he is a better and a stronger alpha.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by sampz: 1:37pm On Jan 20
obehid is there anyway i could hacked into your head and read the remaining chapters..man is going gaga here
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by phoenixchap: 5:23pm On Jan 20
Thanks ObehiD I won't ask for more just yet... Not because I'm satisfied o but I will chew on this till Friday, and Nosa shouldn't just be too comfortable because Beedie is also a born alpha even if Nosa is Natures elected alpha but it won't be a walk in the park still. Mr Ehi undecided ...I won't be commenting my reserve just yet
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by monalicious(f): 10:19am On Jan 21
Lami also accused Beedie of killing Mr Danladi when she was trying to get him in check. I can't quite understand why he had to kill the man though. I thought he was working with Ashanti's father when he killer Mr danladi, because it was d man's death hat gave room for Ehi to step in. Also there was a place where binta was to take a pregnancy test, you didn't continue on that, or I probably missed it. In glad someone has started talking some sense to Nosa. I want to believe he would ruminate over it in his alone time. Binta really needs to be placed. And thanks for all the love obehid. The plenty thank yous got me rotflmao.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 12:03pm On Jan 21
@Peaceyw haha! Yeah, I'm with you, I really like the new twist with Lami and Victor. Thank you for clearing my mind about the Mr. Danladi part, phew, I'm glad that was obvious. As to starting the next one after this, I honestly don't know when I'll start it. I like to take a little bit of a break between books (to figure/iron out some of the details of the book and to focus on some other things for a bit), and I don't know how long it'll be. I'm sorry I can't give a more precise answer.

@GeoSilYe Thank you for clearing that up. I was scared it was missed. Yeah, Beedie has definitely taken a turn, but is he irredeemable?...I guess we'll see grin

@sampz haha, unfortunately my brain has incredible malware protection so there's no getting in wink. Next chapter posting tomorrow morning though, so it's not too long of a wait.

@phoenixchap Lol, okay. No need to wait till Friday, I'm almost done with the book, so more updates coming out at a faster rate. I'm posting the next one tomorrow. I know right. Nosa shouldn't just write Beedie off oh! And this your comment about Mr. Ehi...well, I'll reserve my comment on your comment until you unreserve your comment so that I comment on it grin

@monalicious Yeah Lami did. I'm starting to think Lami's instincts, or the things that she just spits out are a wiser than she knows, lol. So, at least whet Beedie said, was that it was a mistake, he lost control. That he regretted it at the time, but he didn't any more. And if we think about the timing, the mistake angle adds up, because the night Mr. Danladi died was the night that the quintise magic around the school was set, so Beedie could have been feeling the effects of the quintise magic. I left out writing about the details of Binta taking the pregnancy test, because we know that Binta already got a pregnant woman's urine and that she was given ways to preserve it with verdant magic, so she would pass the test whenever she took it. Victor is definitely a quiet behind the scene voice of reason. Nosa is lucky to have him...I just hope Nosa realizes his worth.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Richykemzy: 3:53pm On Jan 21
Lami frgv victor jawe, binta plots wud soon cast am really waiting for dat nd ha punishment dat wud give osezele nd ricky joy, am looking forward to dat too. Obehid thanks for d updates
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 9:14pm On Jan 21
@obehiD don't let the break be to long sha
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 2:26am On Jan 22
@Richykemzy Shey...Ah, Victor is only human na, she should forgive him. Hehe, well, you don't have to wait too long cheesy. Thank you for reading!

@Peaceyw I don't think I'll be able to stay away for too long grin
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 2:27am On Jan 22
Chapter Forty
-----------------------------------------------------
St. Luke’s, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria
-----------------------------------------------------

As the sun set on Ehi’s first official day in St. Luke’s, the marked students gathered on the other side of the barbed wire fence. They stood by the incomplete building muttering under their breaths as they wondered about Ehi’s summons. Some thought he’d merely called them to introduce himself. Some thought he’d called for a repeat performance of what he’d shown the werewolves the previous day. Some just stood as they’d been told to with their minds empty, refusing to waste brain power on idle speculation. With the minutes ticking away, eating into the start of evening prep, the students all began to converge on the same thought: where was he?

Ehi was on the other side of the incomplete building with Osezele, Tolani, and Lami. Tolani shared another one of her nuggets of wisdom and Ehi’s lips twitched. There was a light in his eyes as he watched Tolani, staring at her as if they both shared a secret no one else did. From the moment he’d been introduced to her, that light had been there. It spoke of familiarity, of a knowledge which wouldn’t exist if he hadn’t met her before.

Osezele stood with an empty calabash in her hand. She turned her gaze to Ehi. “What do I do now uncle Ehi?”

“Go into your elemental mark.” He ordered.

Osezele nodded. She closed her eyes and went into her mark. When her eyes opened, they were blue.

“Repeat after me.” Ehi’s voice was lower as he spoke. “Remhen Ebhonata.” He chanted.

Osezele repeated Ehi’s words, intoning. “Remhen Ebhonata.”

“Repeat it.” Said Ehi. “You’ll know when it works.”

“Remhen Ebhonata.” Osezele chanted, over and over again.

It felt as if something slammed into her. She jerked backwards, gasping as her hands, seemingly acting of their own accord, rose, lifting the calabash into the air.

The calabash filled with water.

Tolani’s mouth formed into an O as she watched Osezele kneel with the bowl still in her hands. She placed the gourd on the ground. With her arms emptied, she stretched out her left hand and a black rock appeared in it. She cut open the flesh of her right palm with that rock. She tipped the hand over so that drops of her blood entered into the water in the calabash. Then she bent and picked up the calabash with her uninjured hand. She stood, holding the calabash in one hand. She put the other hand into the water in the calabash. As soon as she did, flames came out of the water. The flames went away as Osezele lifted her hand from the water in the gourd.

Osezele’s eyes cleared, the blue seeping away as she came out of her mark.

Smiling, she turned to the people standing around her. Lami watched her with a speculative smile on her lips, Tolani watched with amazement.

“How did you do that?” Tolani asked. “How did you know what to do?”

“I just did.” She replied with a shrug. “It was as if I’d always had the memory in me, and when I chanted ‘remhen ebhonata’ something unlocked the spell, allowing me to access it. I can’t explain any better than that.”

“You don’t have to.” Lami cut in before Tolani could demand any more answers. “I just want to get done with this trial.”

Ehi led the way. He walked into the incomplete building and then out the other way, to the mass of whispering students awaiting his arrival. When they saw Ehi, the whispers died down. Then he continued walking, and the students saw Osezele and the calabash in her hands and the whispers were resurrected as speculations ran rampant.

Ehi stepped off the platform and then stretched out his hand to help Osezele down. He guided her by the elbow as she joined him, still holding the calabash with the ame in it. Tolani and Lami jumped down after her. Ehi whispered for Tolani to join the group of students in front of them. Lami and Osezele were to stay where they were.

Ehi walked forward.

“I need two representatives of the Varmint class.” He bellowed.

“Nova!” Lanky yelled out.

The rest of the wolves cheered in agreement, with the exception of one.

As Nosa walked forward, Beedie pushed his way through the crowd of wolves. No one stopped him. Nosa and Beedie walked towards Ehi. Ehi directed them to stand by the girls. Beedie stood between Nosa and Osezele.

Ehi cleared his throat, pulling the attentions of the students who stared, puzzled by the proceedings. “We are here to uncover a mole.” Ehi announced without preamble.

The murmurs began again. This time it took Ehi yelling for silence to get the students back under control.

“Osezele.” Nosa called out to her in a whisper.

Osezele knew why Nosa was calling her name. It took will power, but she ignored him.

Nosa turned towards Osezele. “Osezele.” He called again, as a harried Binta forced a bond on him.

“Binta Gambari. Please step forward.” Ehi’s booming voice stopped all the wagging tongues. Heads turned as the students moved to get a better view of the accused. Shifting the focus to Binta cleared a path so that Binta was directly in Ehi’s line of sight.

Binta’s heart was pounding. Thanks to the suppressant Ehi gave to the wolves, they couldn’t hear the drumming sound of her frantic heart, but Ehi could.

Binta shook her head.

Ehi’s eyes narrowed. “Step forward.” He ordered.

‘Do something!’ Binta yelled into the bond she’d forced on Nosa. She looked around nervously as the blank disbelieving stares of the students around her began to morph into something resembling suspicion. Binta shook her head, trying to wordlessly convince them of her guilt, but it was obvious that the longer she stood where she was, the less innocent she seemed.

Binta forced herself to relax as she began the torturous walk towards Ehi. She was an actress, she reminded herself, all she had to do was pull of the performance of a lifetime. After all, it was just Osezele’s word against hers. And who would believe the crazy jealous ex?

Binta stopped in front of Ehi. “This is ridiculous.” She said. “Everyone knows that Osezele is just jealous of me and Nosa. She’s been trying to break us up since the day we started dating.”

Osezele gasped. She was warned against responding by the severe look and curt head shake that Ehi gave her.

“Regardless, you’ve been accused, and we are all gathered here today to determine your guilt or innocence.” Ehi stated uncompromisingly.

“And how will you do that?” Binta asked. “It’s obvious that you are already on Osezele’s side.” Binta turned around then. “But think about it, which is more plausible: that I am some sort of mole or that Osezele is jealous of me?”

Ehi stared unflinchingly at the actress. “Binta Gambari today you will be tried with these people as witness and sentenced by a jury of your own peers.” He motioned with his hand towards the four students standing behind him, as he mentioned the jury of peers. Ehi turned backwards towards Osezele and took the calabash with the ame in it. As he turned, he extended his hand over the calabash and dropped something in it. He did it so quickly that he was sure no one noticed as he turned back to face Binta.

Binta looked suspiciously at the calabash, but she didn’t say anything. She just turned to Nosa and glared at him. ‘Do something!’ she demanded again, in the secrecy of their bond.

Nosa felt powerless. He didn’t know what to do. ‘Don’t worry, just do whatever they want. They’ll see your innocence.’

‘And when I prove my innocence will you finally see how conniving Osezele is?’

Nosa didn’t respond.

“Each member of the jury will ask you a single question.” He stated. “You will be condemned by the words out of your own mouth and nothing else.”

Binta almost exhaled in relief. Her own words? What a joke. “Let’s get started.” Binta stated confidently. She almost rolled her eyes at Osezele’s stupidity. What would make her incriminate herself with her own words? Binta concluded that Osezele had to be foolish.

Ehi stretched out his hand with the calabash in it. “Drink this ame, juice of the elements, and know that you are bound to the truth.” He said as he handed the calabash over to her.

Binta frowned. “I’m not drinking that.”

“You will if you have nothing to hide.”

Binta’s relief vanished in the face of the liquid in the calabash. She shook her head.

‘Nosa.’ Binta snapped into the bond.

‘Do you have anything to hide?’ Nosa asked in response.

‘Of course not.’ Binta replied.

‘Then just drink it.’ He stated.

Binta sighed. She knew she was screwed as she took the calabash from Ehi. They’d completely blindsided her. She hadn’t seen this coming, hadn’t even suspected. Binta had seen trials like this, she’d seen what ame did to liars after they’d drunk it.

Binta lifted the calabash to her mouth, as if preparing to drink it, and then at the last second, she let the calabash slip from her fingers.

Ehi had anticipated it. As soon as she let go of it, he caught it. Then he held it up to her mouth and waited patiently for her to open up. He wasn’t taking any chances, he fed it to her himself. Then he stepped back.

“Osezele.” Ehi called out, spurring her on to ask the first question.

Osezele looked at Binta, and as she did, the hatred she felt for the girl rose in her, burning through her with the rage of a wild fire. Binta could see it in her eyes. “Binta, have you been helping the people who are behind turning Moji into a medium and putting the quintise magic around the school?”

Binta gulped nervously. “Of course not.” She lied.

There was a moment, a sweet brief interlude, where Binta believed that she’d gotten away with it. Nothing happened. Nosa smiled, Binta smirked and the viewers standing behind them seemed to exhale collectively, as if they preferred the idea of Osezele just being jealous, to Binta being a cold callous killer.

Then the moment passed.

Binta screamed out in pain as a burning sensation began in the back of her throat. Little hot fingers clutched the insides of her throat and clawed at her, as if burrowing out. Then the pain spread from her throat upwards to her mouth and downwards to her chest. Binta dropped to her knees on the floor, intermittently bouncing between screaming and panting.

Ehi walked over to Osezele and whispered in her ear. “You control the level of pain. If you don’t stop it, she’ll die.”

Osezele’s brows furrowed as she tuned to Ehi, looking as confused as she felt. “I don’t understand.”

“Will the pain to stop. It’s your blood in the ame, it’s linked to you, you control it.”

For a moment Osezele toiled with the idea of feigning ignorance. She was surprised to find out that there was a part of her that wanted to kill Binta. It was ugly and dark, but it was there. She’d heard Binta lie and for a moment she’d been shocked, and then the pain had started, and she’d smiled, exalting in another person’s pain.

“Forgive me.” Osezele muttered, as she closed her eyes for a brief prayer.

When she opened her eyes, she pushed down all the voices in her head telling her to do worse. She ignored the images of Binta and Nosa together in her mind. She shut them all out, and chose instead to focus on the trial. She looked at Binta, but instead of seeing Binta, she imagined Tolani there, going through that much pain. That thought made her feel sorry for Binta’s pain and want to alleviate it.

Binta stopped screaming. The pain subsided. She wiped at her wet face, her eyes glued to the floor.

“Answer the question truthfully.” Ehi stated. Then he turned to Osezele and nodded for her to repeat it.

“Binta, have you been helping the people who are behind turning Moji into a medium and putting the quintise magic around the school?” Osezele repeated.

Binta’s head rose as she glared at Osezele. Fresh tears rose in her as she turned pleading eyes to Nosa. ‘Are you going to let them do this to the mother of your child?’ she demanded into the bond they shared.

Nosa looked away.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 2:27am On Jan 22
Binta thought about lying and a dull ache began in her head. It was as if the ame had read her thoughts. “You don’t know what it’s like growing up in that village!” she screamed at them. “You don’t know how the marked outside the community really live. I pray that you’ll never find out.” She said the words as tears streamed down her face. “So what a few unmarked died? People die every day, but leaders like Emeka are one in a million. A man like him could keep us safe, keep us protected for another generation.”

“What does Emeka have to do with this?” Lami asked.

“All of this is for Emeka.” Binta screamed. “They just want Emeka back. They want him back where he belongs. It’s his fault that all of this has happened here, not mine. He never should have left. Death is the only way out of the family.”

Lami began to speak and Ehi shook his head, cutting her off. She’d already asked her one question.

“Binta, have you been helping the people who are behind turning Moji into a medium and putting the quintise magic around the school?” Osezele repeated.

“Yes!” Binta screamed, glaring with hateful eyes at Osezele. “Yes.” She said again, and her shoulders shook as more tears came out. “Yes, I’m the agent.”

The students gasped. Whispers began amongst the crowd of onlookers. Those whispers grew into furious bellows as the magnitude of Binta’s confession began to register on them. She was the reason why so many people had died in this school.

“Just give her to me!” One of the students yelled.

“Let that ame burn her from the inside out!” another yelled.

“Devil!” a voice shrieked.

“Burn her! That’s the only way to kill a demon!”

Ehi yelled for silence, but the students’ fury was too strong to be throttled by a strange voice.

“Shut up!” Lami snapped.

It took a moment, but the students dialed back from yelling out their thoughts, to whispering it, and then finally to keeping it restricted to the sanctuary of their minds. There was silence.

Nosa felt the eyes on him and he knew it was his turn to ask a question. He couldn’t. He felt sick. Bile rose in his throat, a prelude to the puke coming behind it. Nosa didn’t have the time to go further than the side of the incomplete building. He ran there, ran as fast as his non-werewolf legs could take him. It wasn’t far enough. He was still in full view of all the students when he bent over and threw up. He wretched everything he’d had in his stomach, it all came out in the space of sand between two small patches of grass.

When he was done, Nosa wiped at his mouth with the back of his hands and proceeded to bury the vomit, taking his time to dig out sand from the area around it and with his hand, lay it over his puke. Nosa also used the time to think. Not that he needed to. There was only one question he wanted to ask, one thing he needed to know. He already suspected it, but he had to know for sure. He had to know just how much of a blind fool he’d been.

Nosa got up from his crouched position and walked back towards the trial. He ignored the smirk on Beedie’s face. “This is your alpha?” Beedie taunted, and then he spat on the ground by Nosa’s feet.

One of Nosa’s betas stepped forward. He handed Nosa a bottle of water.

“Thank you.” Nosa said.

The boy bowed slightly to him, and then he smirked back at Beedie. His response was in his eyes.

Beedie was outraged. His betas ran away at the first sign of weakness, but Nosa’s stayed. He had to get his pack back, he had to punish the wolves. As his eyes turned to Binta, a plan began to form in his head.

Nosa drank a bit of water and then spat it out. “Are you really pregnant?” he asked dryly.

Osezele’s head snapped to the right. She turned to stare at Nosa. Pregnant? She thought. The pieces began to fall into place in her head. Suddenly, everything Nosa had done made sense. But why didn’t he just tell her? Osezele wondered.

“Please Nosa.” Binta begged. “Don’t do this to us. I love you. Please.”

Nosa stared back at Binta unflinchingly, as if he wasn’t the least bit moved by her declarations of love or her tearful pleading. “Are you really pregnant?” he asked.

“No.” she replied.

“Chai!” A male student yelled. “God forbid bad thing! See as this girl be one kidnap Nosa’s destiny. Demons are real. Burn her oh! Burn her!”

Lami glared at him, cutting the outburst off at its source before it had the chance to grow any further.

“Nosa.” Binta called out. “Nosa I love you, Nosa…”

The look Nosa gave her stopped Binta mid-sentence.

Nosa turned away.

Ehi turned to Beedie. “You have one question.” he prompted.

Beedie nodded. “What do you think we should do to you?” he asked.

“Is it her you will ask?” a student yelled out.

Again, Lami glared at the source of the outburst.

Binta was grateful for the question. “Let me go back to the village.” As soon as the words were out of her mouth, the students began shouting to the contrary. They took the opportunity to heap even more insults on her. “Please!” Binta begged. “Let me go back. It’s the only thing you can do. I was put in a nexus and sworn to never divulge the names of the people who sent me or where they can be found. If I try to break it, the nexus will know, I’ll be dead before the words come out my mouth.” The whispers had gone down as the students strained to hear what she said. “You know I’m not lying!” she screamed. “With the ame I can’t lie. I’ve told you what they want, so just let me go. Please! I’ll even lie to them!” her pleading turned frantic as she looked desperately at the students in the jury. “I’ll tell them that I got Emeka to come back, I’ll tell them that he’s coming home. That’ll buy me time to come up with a plan, and it’ll buy you time to get rid of the quintise magic. I don’t know what else they have planned, but I know that if you kill me, the nexus will know, and they won’t wait for the quintise magic to complete, they’ll come in here and kill you themselves!” she swore.

Binta’s words were disconcerting, but no one could argue its credibility, not when she was under the influence of the ame.

Ehi turned to the jury of four he’d made and said, “It’s up to you to decide her fate.”

“What should we do uncle Ehi?” Osezele asked.

Ehi shook his head. “It’s up to you.” He repeated, keeping an emotionless face. There were no clues in his eyes, no signs of what he would do in their place.

Beedie turned to Nosa and somehow managed a look of pity. “I will do whatever you say. You know her best.”

Nosa wasn’t the only one stunned speechless. If Beedie had an ulterior motive, his genuinely sad face didn’t show it.

Beedie’s words were greeted by a rumble of suspicious assent.

“Please Nosa.” Binta begged. “Please. At least look at me.”

Nosa kept his gaze away from her. “Let her go.” He said flatly. “I never want to see her again.” After saying that, he walked away, leaving the students staring stunned at his departing back.

Beedie’s lips twitched as his eyes glinted with victory. No one watched him, so no one saw it.

“Don’t let her go.” Lami stated. The warlocks cheered her rowdily. “We can’t kill her, but we can’t just let her go, not after everything she’s done.”

Ehi turned to Osezele.

Osezele swallowed. She tried to ignore Binta’s pathetic pleas and shut out the pressures of the students yelling out what they thought she should do. She tried to keep her focus on the trial and not the boy who’d walked away, not the pain she’d seen in his eyes, not his dispirited countenance. The trial.

As much as she hated Binta, Osezele could not agree to have anyone executed. She believed that God was the only one who had the right to decide when a life should end. So, she couldn’t side with the students yelling for death. But what was the other option? Osezele thought about questioning her, but Binta already said she couldn’t tell them who sent her, couldn’t tell them where they lived, couldn’t tell them anything. A part of her wanted to push, to push till Binta got to the point of telling them and then have the people she worked for kill her. Binta’s death wouldn’t be on them then. But she couldn’t. It went against everything she believed. So, if they couldn’t question her and the couldn’t kill her, what could they do? Osezele almost turned to Lami and asked for the banewhip. Binta at least deserved to feel some pain for everything she’d put her through. Osezele thought of the kiss she should have gotten, of the time she should have spent with Nosa, and the hatred rose its ugly head. Osezele shook her head. The only reason she wanted to hurt Binta was to get back at her for stealing Nosa. That wasn’t justice, and that wasn’t on Binta. Nosa made his own decisions. Nosa chose to believe Binta. Nosa chose to not tell her why he chose Binta. Nosa made all of the decisions, Binta didn’t bewitch him.

There was also the thing she’d seen her uncle slip into the ame before giving it to Binta.

“Let her go.” Osezele stated.

That shocked everyone. They’d expected Osezele to take her pound of flesh. Everyone knew the nasty rumors Binta had spread about her. Everyone knew just how much Osezele had suffered from Binta’s hold on Nosa. The fact that she was willing to give Binta what she wanted after all of that…they didn’t know what to think, and so they were shocked silent.

Ehi stretched his hand out, handing the calabash back to Binta. “Drink this ame, juice of the elements, and know that you are released from the truth.”

Binta grabbed it in her relief. She drank it and then she handed the calabash back to Ehi. “I enjoyed that.” She lied, testing to see if she was really free. Nothing happened. Tears slid down her face as she sighed in relief.

“You’re free to go.” Ehi announced, stretching his hand out in the direction of the road behind the school.

Shocked students watched with mouth agape as the student responsible for the misery they’d been put through walked away unscathed.

As soon as Binta was gone, the students began yelling out their thoughts. “How can you just let her go like that, after everything she did?”

Lami watched with pride as Osezele spoke over the senior students yelling at her. “We didn’t, did we uncle Ehi?”

Ehi smiled at her. Again, he felt that alien feeling of pride in his chest and he pushed it down hard. He turned to face the group of students. “Historically, marked spies are augurs. Can anyone guess why?”

Everyone was silent as they wondered why Mr. Ehi was giving them a history lesson in the middle of a hollow victory. Binta was supposed to be punished, not set free.

“Augurs can bond.” It was Victor who answered the question.

“Good, but not quite there. I’ll give you a hint, Binta said it.”

“Nexus.” Tolani stated.

Ehi smiled at her, nodding slightly. “Go on.” He urged.

“A bond is dangerous.” Tolani stated. “A bond can be hijacked. A more powerful augur could go into an augur’s mind and force a bond on her. If they did, they’d see all her memories, and if she was in a bond, they’d be able to join it too. Now, while being in a bond could make communication instantaneous, it’s a great way to have the whole mission unfold if the spy is caught. A nexus on the other hand is a bond to a white mind. A white mind is basically a dead augur’s brain preserved with verdant magic. A nexus is formed for a specific purpose. An augur spy’s nexus is almost always formed for the purpose of keeping the mission secret. It’s kind of like having a bomb in your mind. If you try to do anything contrary to the purpose of the nexus, the bomb goes off, and you die. If anyone tries to access any memory that could jeopardize the mission, the bomb goes off and you die. It wouldn’t matter if the augur was conscious or not, the nexus keeps the mission secret. When an augur is in a nexus, her mind is impenetrable. No other marked could keep a secret that well.”

The students stared at Tolani awed by how much she knew.

Ehi wasn’t the least bit surprised.

“But we didn’t just let her go, did we uncle Ehi?” Osezele asked again.

Ehi shook his head. “I put a tracker in the ame. It’s very rudimentary verdant magic which stays away from her mind, so the nexus kill switch won’t be triggered. The downside is that it is very very rudimentary. It’s mate magic. I put the female part in her and the male part in a werewolf that I trust. The male and female want to mate, and so the werewolf will be pulled to her. She’ll lead him to her village, and he’ll send me the location.”

Lami smiled. “So, we’re about to find the people behind all of this?” she asked.

Ehi nodded.

The students relaxed, grateful for Osezele’s uncle Ehi.

‘You won’t find them, not if I have anything to do with it.’ Beedie thought, breaking off from the rest of the group. He walked towards the road, following Binta to her village.

2 Likes

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by lukfame(m): 5:25am On Jan 22
obehiD:

‘You won’t find them, not if I have anything to do with it.’ Beedie thought, breaking off from the rest of the group. He walked towards the road, following Binta to her village.
this Beedie is really going mad o. As in really really mad. Why is jeopardizing all their plans just for his pride and selfish interest?
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by GeoSilYe(f): 8:30am On Jan 22
Eheyyy what does this boy want to do again?

ObehiD can you just let small thunder fire him before he does anything stupid?

Poor Nosa, I sort of feel sorry for him.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 10:56am On Jan 22
I don't even feel sorry for nosa, dat guy is just stupid, binta thought she could escape. I think Beedie wants to go and kill binta(my thoughts though)
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Richykemzy: 11:06am On Jan 22
Beedie o, dont spoil dia plan nw. I feel so sorry for nosa(wasted time sticking to crazy binta) waiting for next episodes nd i hope beedie gts punished.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Ultimategeneral: 1:11pm On Jan 22
lukfame:
this Beedie is really going mad o. As in really really mad. Why is jeopardizing all their plans just for his pride and selfish interest?
i don't think so? I think Ehi is using him as the tracker werewolf

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Ultimategeneral: 2:16pm On Jan 22
[quote author=obehiD post=74990322].

Ehi shook his head. “I put a tracker in the ame. It’s very rudimentary verdant magic which stays away from her mind, so the nexus kill switch won’t be triggered. The downside is that it is very very rudimentary. It’s mate magic. I put the female part in her and the male part in a werewolf that I trust. The male and female want to mate, and so the werewolf will be pulled to her. She’ll lead him to her village, and he’ll send me the location.”

[/quote/]
Ehi hmmm. very smart guy. he chose well using Beedie as the werewolf. he knew beedie might want to destroy the group. so he was the Right person to use, though without his consent.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by GeoSilYe(f): 10:05pm On Jan 22
It might be actually be Beedie but the problem is, how will Ehi get the location? And won't he betray them at the end?

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (23) (Reply)

What Was The Last Book You Read? / Alpha Squad. / Authors On Okadabooks Drop Your Book Info Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 529
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.