₦airaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,190,254 members, 4,775,592 topics. Date: Friday, 22 February 2019 at 01:42 PM

The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book - Literature (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book (19953 Views)

TÉLLÀ ( A Paranormal Story) / Grabbing The Hot Gate ( A Paranormal Novel) By Akintayo Akinjide / Memoirs Of Blood And Steel ( A Fantasy Novel) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 7:53am On Jan 23
@lukfame hahaha! Really mad...lol. Hmmm...well, I won't comment. Let's wait and see cheesy

@GeoSilYe What indeed? Thunder strike him? Where's the fun in that...besides, who knows what his motives are/what he's planning grin. Poor Nosa indeed.

@Peaceyw Ah! So hard on Nosa cry He allowed himself to believe and be vulnerable with Binta. She lied to him. Does it make him stupid for choosing to believe in her? ***shrugs*** who knows. Maybe he saw the signs and chose to ignore them...anyway, something tells me Nosa will move on wink

@Richykemzy Yes oh! Let's all start talking to Beedie, let him not spoil the plan oh. After everything! Nosa, Nosa, Nosa...well, like I said before, I have a feeling that he will move on cheesy

@Ultimategeneral I like the way you think! i won't say anything though...we'll find out soon enough! Lol.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by tunjilomo(m): 2:27pm On Jan 23
I miss not being able to comment all this while. Nice work, Obehid.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 2:44am On Jan 24
tunjilomo:
I miss not being able to comment all this while. Nice work, Obehid.

Thank you! Welcome back to the comment section cheesy
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 2:45am On Jan 24
Chapter Forty-one
---------------------------------------------------------
The Village, Rupokwu Forest, Rivers State, Nigeria
---------------------------------------------------------

Beedie’s taxi stopped right at the bend in the road where Binta’s had seconds before. Beedie jumped out of the taxi. He absentmindedly fished in his pocket for the fare and then threw the bills at the driver as he ran towards the forest. He ducked behind a tall iroko tree when Binta turned around sharply. Then he bounced back, swatting low hanging branches away in his bid to get to the village before the werewolf Ehi sent.

Beedie’s attention was fixed on Binta’s back. He wasn’t paying attention to his surroundings, so he missed the large root in his way. He hit his toes against that root and had to bite down the yelp. He was more mindful of the terrain after that.

Beedie kept going, following closely behind Binta until they got to the gates of the village. He stood behind the stem of a large palm tree, watching as Binta spoke to the armed gatemen. There seemed to be a bit of confusion, because they denied Binta entry. Binta made some irate hand gestures and one of the gatemen turned around and walked away. Minutes later, the man returned.

Beedie’s mouth hung open as he stared at the girl behind the gateman. She was the most beautiful girl he’d ever seen.

The girl snapped at the gatemen. Bowing, he hastily opened the gate, and then the beautiful girl pulled Binta into her arms and hugged her. They both walked away with their arms around each other’s waist.

Beedie turned around then, looking for his prey. It didn’t take long to find him. Behind a larger tree further off to the right of where Beedie stood, there was a skinny looking man hiding to prevent detection. The man reached into his pocket and pulled out a cellphone.

Beedie wished he hadn’t foolishly allowed Ehi to suppress his mark. Not to worry though, he came prepared.

Beedie had brought with him a pack of knockout fireworks. He pulled one of those out of the pack and lit it by scratching it against the side board. Then he threw the knockout to the ground and ran to a neighboring tree to hide.

The loud sound of the fireworks jarred Ehi’s werewolf and startled the armed gatemen.

“Who’s out there?” they yelled.

Ehi’s wolf’s hand shook. In his fear, he dropped the cellphone.

Beedie used the distraction of the knockouts to get to the wolf undetected. He stopped one tree away from him and then he fished in his pocket for his price.

He pulled out a dagger and unsheathed it.

As Ehi’s wolf continued to scramble, bending to his knees on the floor to pick up the phone, Beedie allowed himself a minute to gloat. It had all been too easy. First stealing the blade from Osezele and now distracting the wolf. Beedie shook his head at Lami. She should have known better. You never give a prized possession to a person who couldn’t understand its value. Never. But she had foolishly given the dagger to Osezele and Osezele had foolishly left it in her cupboard at night. Beedie was sure Lami never did that, but Osezele had. Having a junior girl take the dagger had been simple.

The knockouts were done. The air filled with a charged silence as the armed gatemen continued their parole, staring into the forest for the source of the sound.

Carefully, Beedie pulled out another knockout, lit it and threw it towards the gate.

Again, the sound startled Ehi’s wolf so much that he dropped the phone. Where did Ehi get the slowpoke from? Beedie wondered, sneering at the wolf.

When Ehi’s wolf turned around, Beedie was standing in front of him. The werewolf paused for a second, frowning as he studied the boy.

That second was all he had.

Beedie hesitated, but when he saw the man begin to frown, his instincts took over and he stabbed the man right in the chest, as his parents had threatened to do to him if he ever got out of hand.

The man clutched his chest and then he fell to the ground, releasing the phone in the process.

Beedie watched him die. He stood there, staring at the man’s dead body and smiled. It hadn’t been as difficult as he thought it would be. He felt a surge of power from knowing that he’d done that, that with his mark suppressed, he’d still been able to kill a werewolf. He’d just proven that he was more than just brawn, he was brain too. Not just that, but he was also willing to go out of his way for the good of his pack. As far as he was concerned, he had everything a good pack alpha needed. He could almost smell the victory. When he won, after he beat Nosa, he would deal with the rest of the wolves. He’d spent the last day brainstorming the best ways to make them pay. There were a few punishments he couldn’t wait to try out on them. And they’d have their wills bound to him too, he thought with a malicious smile on his face, so they wouldn’t be able to resist him. They would do whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted. He was starting to rethink his stance on Ehi, without him Beedie wouldn’t be so close to having everything he’d ever wanted. But no, Beedie concluded, Ehi had to go. Beedie looked at the dead wolf and smiled. This was exactly how Ehi was going to die. Alone.

The wolf’s phone vibrated.

Beedie kicked it out from under the wolf’s body and picked it up. He saw Ehi’s name as the caller ID. He scoffed. Beedie dropped the phone on the ground and stepped on it, crushing all the pieces within. He didn’t stop until he was sure nothing could be salvaged from the mess. Then he bent down to do the one really unpleasant bit of business.

He started from the man’s shirt and took off his clothes, all while searching the man’s body for his mark. He found the mark on the inside of the man’s right thigh. Beedie was just glad he’d found it before he’d been forced to take off the man’s boxers.

He knelt by the thigh, and placed the sharp edge of the dagger against it. One slide after the other, he sawed into the man’s skin. Once the blade hit the man’s bone, he pushed in with more force so that he could tear the leg off.

Beedie was sweating by the time the leg separated from the rest of the man’s body. He put the dagger back into its sheath and then back into his pocket. With all the preparation done, Beedie bent and picked up the leg, before making his way to the gate.

“Stop there!” One of the gatemen yelled when he caught sight of Beedie out of the corner of his eye.

Beedie rose his hands in the air in a gesture of surrender, but he kept walking. He walked right into both gatemen’s field of view and then he dropped the severed leg on the ground in front of the gate. Both gatemen were standing behind the gates. The gates were interesting. There were two sets of gates. That’s why Beedie hadn’t been able to see more of the village from his vantage point behind the trees. The first gate was made of metal rods, connected by an arch at the top and a straight horizontal rod at the bottom. The rods were separated with space between them, making it possible for Beedie to see through to the men on the other side. There was nothing but clear space between the gates. The gatemen sat on white plastic chairs in the vacant space. The second gate was a black solid gate which was impossible to see through.

Beedie’s gaze scanned over the men. “Whoever is in charge is going to want to see me.” he stated confidently.

The gatemen laughed. One of them pointed the nozzle of his big machine gun back in the direction of the forest Beedie had come out of, as the other said, “Nobody dey for inside here. Na empty land.”

Beedie kicked the severed leg. It turned around, revealing the mark. The men looked at each other when they saw that mark.

“Binta led him right to you.” Beedie said. “I took care of your problem. Whoever is in charge is going to want to hear what I have to say.”

The men looked at each other again, then one of them nodded. He turned around and pulled open the pedestrian gate, embedded into the middle of the large black gate. Then he walked in, shutting the door behind him. Beedie had only gotten a glimpse of the sandy land inside when the gate shut.

He paced for a bit, waiting impatiently as he ran over the details of his plan in his head.

Finally, the pedestrian gate opened back up. The gateman who’d left, nodded at the one who’d stayed behind. That man opened the pedestrian entrance to the rod gate.

Smiling, Beedie bent to pick the severed arm and followed the gateman’s direction in through the first gate, and then the second.

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 2:46am On Jan 24
Beedie’s first reaction was disgust. It was nothing more than a village. As he walked down the long sand road leading to the smaller gates in front, he studied the plots of land and the huts built on them. Children played in front of some of these huts. The children were dirty. Some of them were half-dressed, others fully clothed in stained outfits. They watched him with the same level of fascination as he watched them.

The gateman took him all the way to the gates, and then bent to the right, towards another sand walkway. They walked off the road bordered by plots of land and huts, to a circular mud hut covered with dried palm fronds. There was a curtain hanging over a small cut out of the mud. That curtain was pulled back as Beedie approached.

He walked into the hut.

The hut was lit by kerosene lanterns on tables around the perimeter of the room. In the middle of the room, there was a circular mat with three people seated forming an outer ring around two people seated in the middle. Those two had a wide calabash between them, a large sheet of stained brown paper, and a long sharp knife.

Beedie heard footsteps behind him. He turned around and smiled appreciatively when he saw the beautiful girl who’d hugged Binta walk into the room. The girl had a shabby looking boy behind her. Beedie passed one cursory look over the haggard boy, before turning his attention to the girl standing in front of him. Slowly, he let his eyes roam over every inch of her perfect body. From her full breasts, to her tight stomach, to the curves of her hips, and down her long legs. He saved the face for last and he wasn’t disappointed.

“My God.” Beedie gasped, smiling.

Ashanti smiled back. She was used to that reaction from men. She walked forward slowly, giving Beedie the chance to appreciate the sway of her hips as she moved. “My name is Ashanti.” She introduced herself, stretching out her hand.

“Beedie.” He replied, taking her hand in his. “You’re so beautiful.” He said a little breathlessly, as if he couldn’t believe her existence.

Ashanti smiled even wider. She pulled her hand back from his. “I hear you have a gift for us?”

Beedie stretched out the severed leg. “A werewolf with mate magic to track Binta. I killed him before he could send out her location.”

“Thank you.” Ashanti said, curtsying a little. As she rose back up, her eyes caught and held Beedie’s. “You must be really strong to kill a werewolf.” She teased.

Beedie shrugged. He was bursting with pride internally, but he couldn’t let it show. “I’m an alpha.”

“An alpha! Wow!” She held his gaze for seconds after her comment and then she looked away shyly. “Take the leg.” She said to Bingo.

Bingo nodded. He walked out from behind her, and took the severed leg from Beedie. He handed the leg to the people seated on the rug. The one he gave it to passed it to one of the two in the middle.

“If you’re lying, I’m going to have to kill you.” Ashanti stated sweetly.

Beedie nodded in acceptance.

Ashanti grinned.

The person with the leg picked up the long knife and carved out the part of the skin with the mark in it. She dropped the cut flesh into the calabash and put the rest of the leg off to the side. She steered the cut skin in the calabash with the tip of her knife as the rest of the group began chanting. The three on the outside joined hands. Two of them stretched out their legs, touching the ones inside with the soles of their bare feet. Their eyes opened, showing lavender orbs.

Silver fumes rose from the calabash.

“He was an omega.” Ashanti stated.

Beedie’s jaw clenched. He didn’t know if he was imagining it, but he heard censure in her voice. As if killing an omega was easy, as if anyone could do it. Beedie kept his gaze locked on the group in the middle.

“They are our quintise.” Ashanti said again.

Beedie’s heartbeat increased. He smiled. “In that case, I owe them a debt of gratitude.”

“You do?”

“For the magic they put around our school. A werewolf can never truly know what it means to be a wolf until he stains his fangs with human blood. The bijoutise magic gave me my first kill.”

Ashanti had suspected he knew. “You never forget your first.” She said. Then she turned to face him. “So, you know?” she asked.

Beedie nodded. “Binta confessed. That little bitch Osezele somehow found out and she told her snake of an uncle. He did a trial and they forced her to drink ame. She confessed, we cast her out.” Beedie turned to face Ashanti. “Didn’t Binta tell you?” he asked sweetly.

Ashanti’s smile didn’t waver. “No, she didn’t. She said she came back because she’d gotten Emeka and Oshoke to come back to the village. It sounded too good to be true.”

“Sounds like you have a problem.” Beedie stated impassively.

The other person in the middle picked up the parchment. He tore a piece of it off and dropped it into the bowl. The woman steered for a little bit longer, and then the man dipped his hand into the bowl and picked up the parchment.

It was blue and white when it came out.

He put the parchment into his mouth.

The woman stopped steering. She put the knife down.

They stopped chanting, but remained connected with parts of their bodies touching.

The man with the parchment in his mouth turned to face Beedie. It was unnerving having those lavender eyes staring at him, but he didn’t react.

“Mate magic.” The man confirmed. “The boy is telling the truth. The man was mated to Binta. He was also a thrall to a powerful bi-marked commune werewolf. He was tasked to find her location and report it back. It was a thrall prerogative.”

Ashanti turned to Beedie and bowed slightly to him. “You get to live.” She teased. “You also get my gratitude. Is there anything else you want?” she asked.

Beedie smiled. “I want to be pack alpha.” He stated.

Ashanti’s head tilted to the side. “Go on.” She smiled back.

“You just lost an agent, and not a very good one if you ask me. You want Emeka and Oshoke, and I want the two people they loved most out of my school. So, if you get your quintise to make me a potion that makes me pack alpha, I will deliver Nosa and Osezele to you.”

“Intriguing. But why would I want them?”

“Obviously, killing every student in our school isn’t working. If there’s anyone who knows where Emeka is, it’s Nosa. And if there’s anyone Oshoke will surrender for, it’s Osezele. They will make very good baits.”

Ashanti nodded. “Is there an alpha challenge coming up?”

Beedie’s jaw clenched. He wanted to yell that there shouldn’t be one, that his pack already had an alpha, but he didn’t. He couldn’t give that much of his feelings away. Instead, he calmly said “An alpha brawl.”

“That’s daring, with quintise magic around the school.” Ashanti downplayed it. She thought it was more than daring, she thought it was foolish. No pack would host an alpha brawl when they knew there was quintise magic around the school. Not even werewolves where that stupid. Being part shifter, Ashanti had very little regard for the brutish ways of werewolves. Still, there had to be a reason why they would risk it, something more than Beedie was saying. And so she made her statement, fishing a little for whatever she was missing.

“Make me pack alpha and I will hand you the reigns to that school. I’ll tell you what you’re fishing for. After you make me alpha. Not a second before.”

“A smart natural born alpha. I always thought that was an oxymoron.” Ashanti teased.

“What will it be?”

Ashanti stretched out her hand. “You have a deal Beedie. The quintise will make you a potion that has the effect of the bijoutise magic around your school. It will feed off your emotions and make you stronger than any other werewolf you face, all while keeping you in control. You will win the alpha brawl.” She promised.

Beedie took her hand and shook it. “Then you will get Emeka and Oshoke.” He swore.

“Let’s start with a bit of your blood.” Ashanti said smiling.

Beedie willingly stretched out his arm.

With the false smile on her face, Ashanti noted that Beedie was in fact just as dumb as she assumed all natural born alphas were. Only a fool would give an unknown quintise blood. Only a fool, or someone too ignorant to realize the consequences of their action.

2 Likes

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by AmaUwana(f): 6:47am On Jan 24
woah!!!!!! Thanks op.... That Beedie is dumb
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by monalicious(f): 7:55am On Jan 24
Arrrgggggghhhh. But I expected ehi to be smarter now. How could he have sent a slow poke to find binta, I actually thought beedie was d mate. Beedie is really evil, I hope Ashanti kills him. And u seem to be mistaking Ashanti for Aisha. Thanks for d update.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 8:54am On Jan 24
@AmaUwana hehe, thank you

@monalicious Wow, thank you for the catch!!!! The wolf was definitely very jittery. Maybe he didn't expect to have company...it really should have been an easy mission. Thanks again for the Aishat/Ashanti correction!
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 9:28am On Jan 24
And I thought beedie was smart, mumu, concentrate on what you came to do you are looking at fine girl, I hope he gets killed or much more pain. But osezele was careless how can she keep dat blade in a cupboard? Lami will kill her if she ever finds out.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by GeoSilYe(f): 10:22am On Jan 24
I just tayah for Beedie
Na wa oh
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by spixytinxy(f): 3:41pm On Jan 24
Beedie is a fool, just hope Nosa put him in his place
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Richykemzy: 3:43pm On Jan 24
Beedie y nw? i was even finking d test wud go wrng but anyways i sha hope he wont go scot free cos he don dey do mumu alredi
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by lukfame(m): 5:08pm On Jan 24
Ultimategeneral:

i don't think so? I think Ehi is using him as the tracker werewolf
Well, as u can see, he only wanted to jeopardize their plans ... He's not the tracker
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Aphroditee(f): 10:25am On Jan 25
This has got potential
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Aphroditee(f): 10:26am On Jan 25
This has got potential.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by monalicious(f): 10:54am On Jan 25
lukfame:
Well, as u can see, he only wanted to jeopardize their plans ... He's not the tracker
It all seems too good to be true for beedie. I don't believe ehi and osezele would be that foolish or dumb. How come osezele dropped the blade just like that, I think beedie is one of d two trackers, he probably doesn't know that he's being used. Beedie, Ashanti n DAT her evil father need to get served.

And its like today is Thursday oh @ obehid. Pardon my oliver twistish nature
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 8:46pm On Jan 25
@Peaceyw hahaha! Osezele kept it in her space. I feel like if she knew that the cupboard wasn't safe she would have kept it somewhere else, lol. But yeah, for her sake, I hope that Lami never finds out.

@GeoSilYe Yes oh, Beedie has gone sour. I tayah for him too.

@spixytinxy We'll just have to wait and see wink

@Richykemzy I know. Beedie's making me want to cry. We'll have to wait and see what happens...

@lukfame to be fair though, I don't think he wanted to jeopardize their plans as much as he wanted to guarantee his position as pack alpha. He's just in secondary school, and he's been traumatized a lot by the quintise magic. Maybe what he did under the influence of the magic affected his brain somehow, and has skewed the line between right and wrong, I don't know. But even with everything he's done, I still feel like he's another victim

@Aphroditee cheesy thank you

@monalicious There is a bit of hindsight knowledge involved in this though. If Osezele believed her cupboard space was safe, then she had no reason to think it would be unsafe to keep it there. She was a bit careless, considering the care that Lami took (sleeping with it under her pillow and such), but Lami knows the value, Osezele really doesn't. If only she'd known that someone would try to steal it, she would have been more careful. I'm with you oh, Ashanti and her father they need to get served, but Beedie... Maybe there's still room for him to repent and change for the better grin
Today is Friday! LOL!!! I'll post the next chapter soon. Should be out by tomorrow morning.

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by spixytinxy(f): 8:52pm On Jan 25
Chai obehid y now, no Friday update. Am heartbroken
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 12:45am On Jan 26
Beedie just dug a grave for himself. All these just to spite another. His arrogance and carelessness will cost him his life.

Ehi made a mistake, revealing his plan to a whole cult isn't smart. He should have held back more details of his plan and just left the students with tolani's explanation. That way the students would be curious to see what would unfold next.

Osazele is a kind and wise leader, Nosa deserves her, they both deserve each other.

I hope my latest inconsistency would be pardoned. It's work and it is getting tightier Obehid. Thanks for these updates, they are good as usual
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 1:27am On Jan 26
@spixytinxy update dropping now

@Fazemood I understand, work gets busy, I'm just glad that you are able to read at all. Thank you!

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 1:28am On Jan 26
Chapter Forty-two
----------------------------------------------------
The Community, Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria

The God-born walked into Ejehmen’s living room. Efua walked in after her, followed by a handful of leather-clad ancestry guards. The guards stopped, standing close to the door they’d just walked into, as if forming a barrier against the only entrance into the room. Efua walked a few paces forward, stopping right by the carpet in the center of the room.

Odion looked around.

It looked as if they were packing. The furniture which had filled the living room were gone. The walls, which had previously been decorated with hanging family portraits were stripped bare. There were large suitcases packed and full and situated in various locations around the room.

Rere stood watching with wide eyes, her right thumb was in her mouth and her left hand clutched Eroms’ arm. The fear she felt was evident in her eyes. Idemudia looked afraid too. He had his arm wrapped comfortingly around Oni, but looking at her brother and her younger self, Odion could easily tell that she was not the one in need of comforting. Eroms’ face didn’t show any emotions.

Ejehmen smiled.

It was such a different smile from any that she’d ever seen on her father’s face that Odion found herself turning back to watch him every so often. He looked like a man at peace, as if he’d slain every demon he’d ever had. Itohan was nervous. She stood on the other side of Oni and rubbed her hand placatingly on the girl’s shoulder. Her mother’s eyes darted to Ejehmen and then nervously back to the God-born.

The God-born nodded at her son and then Itohan, before turning to wink and smile widely at her grandchildren. Then she stood straight, returning to her previous regal composure, and stated in a lofty voice, “I can see that you are ready.”

Ejehmen nodded.

Odion knew exactly what the God-born was referring to. Her family was moving back to ancestral grounds. With Efua’s blessing, it had been very easy to convince the clan to welcome Ejehmen and his family back into the fold. In fact, by the end of that meeting, the clan members had been the ones begging for the God-born’s forgiveness.

As soon as Ejehmen heard the news, he’d smiled. The smile was a lot like the one he had on his face now. Watching him over the eight years that they’d been outside ancestral grounds, Odion had never had any reason to believe that he even missed the ancestry lifestyle. But it was obvious in the joy he freely showed now, that in some ways, he had. Itohan was the least pleased about their impending return. She didn’t trust the ancestry anymore. Not after they’d tried to kill her, not after they’d tried to kill her daughters, but Ejehmen wasn’t swayed by her worries. He just smiled at his wife and told her everything would be okay. He reminded her that he was an Ehizokhae and Itohan stormed out of the room, swearing that she’d never known a family name could be so infuriating. Ejehmen had chuckled to his irate wife’s back.

Now they were packed, packed and ready to go back to ancestral grounds. Rere was worried. She’d spent her entire life outside of it and she wasn’t sure what to expect, but Oni simply saw it as their due. They were Ehizokhaes, of course they would return to their rightful place in society. Idemudia was also afraid, but he tried his best to hide it. Eroms didn’t seem to have any feelings about it one way or the other. He’d been told they were returning, and he’d simply shrugged and gone to his room to start packing.

“Efua, give us a shroud of solitude.” The God-born ordered, without turning around to face the subject of her order.

Efua frowned. She stood still for a while, furrows forming on her forehead as she deliberated and then she shook her head, and did as the God-born ordered. Efua stumped her feet against the ground and then she moved her arms in the air, swaying her body from side to side as she moved. Odion was so caught up in watching the dance that she almost forgot to cross to the other side of the rising fog.

The shroud had been formed enough times for Odion to figure out what it did. It seemed to act like a soundproof wall that kept sounds on either side of it from crossing over.

When the fog rose all the way to the roof, Odion took her attention back to her family, watching casually as the God-born walked over to pull the scared Rere into her arms. She hugged her grand-daughter fiercely as she let her gaze roam over the other occupants of the room. She put her left palm against Eroms face, smiling as the boy’s lips twitched into a brief smile and faded, the expression on his face pensive, as if he was waiting for the other shoe to drop. The God-born smiled at him.

She left her right hand wrapped around Rere’s shoulder as she stood to her full height. She smiled slightly at Itohan before turning to face her son.

“What is it mother?” Ejehmen asked. “Has the clan changed their mind? Will they not allow us into ancestral grounds?”

The God-born smiled sadly as she shook her head at him. “Of course they will let you in.”

Ejehmen exhaled in relief. “Then why the shroud?” he asked
“You will not be staying in ancestral grounds.” The God-born stated.

Ejehmen pulled back in shock. Rere’s thumb popped out of her mouth as she tilted her head backwards to stare up at her grandmother. Eroms scoffed as if he wasn’t surprised. Itohan was the only one who smiled.

“Why not?” Ejehmen asked.

The God-born let go of Rere. She turned around and began to pace in front of them. She stopped suddenly and turned around to face her son. “Have you ever heard of the bridge of Kohini?” she asked him.

“Of course.” Ejehmen replied.

The God-born smiled tightly, her face taut as she continued to stare at her son’s perplexed, frowning, face. “I had it built.”

Ejehmen’s confusion gave way to shock. “You did what?”

The God-born ignored the question. “I spoke to our ancestors, the Ehizokhae twins.” She walked forward towards her son and placed both of her palms on either side of his face, holding him steady as she smiled at him. “They love you, my son. You have found favor in Nature’s eyes.”

Ejehmen blinked. His brows pulled together as he frowned. He shook his head and parted his lips to speak, but she stopped him.

“Duraya has set you and your family on a different path. You must leave the community.” She stated. “You and your family must leave. It is not safe for you here.”

Ejehmen gasped. “Is it truly that bad mother? Is InCoSeM…are they really that much of a threat?”

The God-born’s face was sad as she gravely nodded at her son.

Ejehmen shook his head. “Then we must stay. We must stay and fight. I will not leave you here. I will not. Please don’t ask it of me.”

“Will you choose your will over Duraya’s?” She asked in a censorious tone. “Your path over his?”

Ejehmen’s jaw clenched. “That is not fair mother.”

“I am more than capable of fighting. As is your brother, and as is the clan. You have been set on a different path. Nature smiles on you my boy. Don’t turn your face away from its light.”

Ejehmen sighed resignedly. He bent, prying his face loose from his mother’s hands, and then kissed her on each cheek. “Me and my family are hers to command mother. If Duraya says we leave, we leave.”

The God-born exhaled, as if she’d been holding her breath for a long time. She closed her eyes and a single tear drop slid from her right eye. Ejehmen wiped it off.

The God-born cleared her throat. She turned to the rest of the room, smiling as convincingly as she could manage. “Pack everything you can into one bag. Each of you can take a single bag pack, so only pack the essentials.”

She walked over to Eroms.

The God-born put a hand on his shoulder and bent so that she was whispering into his ear. “Your family will need you my love. Can you protect them?” there was a teasing tone in her voice as she said the whispered words. The words were carried and amplified by the wind, making it possible for Odion to hear them. From the look on Ejehmen’s face, Odion wasn’t the only one who heard.

Eroms nodded, his face straight as he said, “with my life mamin. I swear it.”

The God-born chuckled. She kissed him on the cheek as she stood to her full height. She walked over to the fog and placed her palm against it, saying, “You have till evening to prepare. The guards will take you to the tunnel of the twins. I will meet you there.”

As she finished speaking, the shroud came down, the fog evaporating, bringing Efua and the rest of the ancestry guards back into view.

The God-born turned her back on her family and walked towards the guards. She stopped in front of one and ordered, “Take me back.”

The guard bowed. When he straightened, his eyes were red. He formed a dark mist around them and when the mist disappeared, they were gone.

Odion felt the stirring of her apparition and so she walked into it.

The sun had gone down when Odion emerged from the apparition. She looked around her, frowning at the time change. It had been morning when she walked into the apparition and now it was evening, which meant the time the God-born had given to her family was up. She walked around a little, her eyes darting to the familiar tree and the log underneath it. She still remembered that tree, it was the one she’d been sitting under when she had her first vision of Efua dancing in the stream. She turned her gaze back to the tall walls marking the perimeter of the ancestral grounds.

A few feet away from her, an arched tunnel protruded from the impenetrable walls. That tunnel was the only way into the ancestral grounds. It was the tunnel of the twins.

Odion heard footsteps approaching her. She turned around and watched the calm procession of her grandmother, followed closely by the entire congress of kings. Efua was the only obo with them. The people in velvet were surrounded by guards in leather.

The tranquility of the calm procession was disturbed by the sound of wildly running feet. It took a while for the runner to catch up to the congress, but as soon as she did, she yelled “Menoba!” over and over again, as if crazed.

The procession stopped. The uhonmons turned to face the running woman as frowns formed on their faces. They looked more than a little irritated by the loud wailings from the distraught woman. As the woman continued her harried approach, the God-born made her way to the front of the group of uhonmons.

Finally, the woman reached them.

Odion was stunned by her appearance. She was clad in a black leather wrapper. The single wrapper was tied around her chest and fell to her ankles. Her hair had been sheared off, so that her head was bare. The head was white at that moment, as if powder had been poured all over it. The woman’s feet were bare, there was dirt allover her feet, covering her previously lighter skin with dark brown mud.

The woman fell to her knees in front of the God-born. She crawled towards her and grabbed onto the hem of the God-born’s snow-white velvet wrapper. She bent her head to the floor, and rested her forehead against the God-born’s feet as she wept.

“Forgive me menoba!” she screamed. “Forgive me!” she wailed like a banshee.

The God-born frowned. She gently extricated her feet from the woman’s hold and bent towards her. The God-born took the wailing woman’s face into her hands and held it up as the tears streamed down the woman’s face.

“What is it Uwa?” The God-born asked, revealing the identity of the wailing woman.

Odion’s mouth hung open in shock. Uwa looked so different with her hair cut off, that Odion hadn’t even recognized her.

“Forgive me menoba. Forgive me!” she just kept screaming.

“What is it my daughter?” the God-born asked.

“Forgive me!” Uwa pleaded.

The God-born sighed. She pulled Uwa’s crying face closer and kissed her on her wet cheeks. “For the love I bore your father, I beg you tell me what the problem is and let me do what he would in my stead.”

Uwa’s crying reduced. She rose her body up, kneeling as fully as she could with her face still in the God-born’s hands. “I am guilty of the most heinous crime a daughter can commit against her father. I am guilty of being unfilial.” She confessed.

Suppressed gasps greeted Uwa’s shocking words.

The God-born’s confusion only seemed to increase. “What is this you speak of my daughter?”

“I lied! Oh!” The tears came down again. “Duraya turns away from me. I see his rejection when I close my eyes, I feel it when I pray. I must confess my sins, or I am doomed.”

“What is this lie?”

“My father was not the mole.” Uwa announced.

In her shock, the God-born let go of Uwa’s face. “But it was your word that damned him.”

“I was working under the influence of a man I feared. I feared for my life menoba, I feared for my safety. He told me to lie and so I did, to cover up his crimes, to transfer his guilt to that of a wrongfully killed innocent man. Forgive me menoba! Forgive me!”

The God-born stood. She stared down at Uwa still kneeling on the floor. Her face was cold, unforgiving, as she stared at the woman’s white scalp. The God-born seemed deaf to Uwa’s pleas for forgiveness. Then she sighed, and her features softened slightly.

“For the love I bore your father, I will give you one chance to correct your mistake. Who is this man you speak of?”

Uwa’s eyes widened. “I can’t speak his name.” her voice shook as she said the words. “The elements protect him. If I were to say his name, they would morph it into something else.”

Uwa’s words had the uhonmons reeling. She reached into the knot of her leather wrapper, tied at her chest and fished out a piece of paper. She handed it over to the God-born.

The God-born took the paper from Uwa, read it and then crumpled it in her hand. The cold look on the God-born’s face turned into rage. “How dare you!” the God-born screamed. She turned around, turning her head towards one of the leather guards. “Take her to the inquest.” She ordered. “I don’t care if she dies in the process. I will have the truth!”

The guard knelt on one knee, nodded, and then stood to pull the wailing Uwa away.

“It’s not a lie menoba!” Uwa screamed. “Please believe me!” When she saw that the God-born had already begun to turn away from her, she turned her head wildly from side to side. “Father!” she screamed. “Forgi…” before the word was completed, the guard’s eyes turned red, and Uwa became unconscious. She passed out by the guard’s feet and the guard formed a dark mist around them both.

“Proceed.” The God-born ordered calmly, as if the interlude with Uwa had merely been a minor inconvenience and nothing worth discussing. Whether or not the other uhonmons agreed seemed to be of little consequence to the guards who turned around, turning to face the direction of the tunnel, and began walking.

The other uhonmons followed silently, but it was a pregnant silent, one filled with the single question each one of them wanted to ask, but somehow knew to refrain from voicing: whose name was on that paper? They didn’t ask, and the God-born didn’t share. She just clung to the sheet of paper and kept her head up and her eyes fixed on the arched tunnel.

A dark mist formed in front of the entrance to the tunnel.

“Mamin!” Rere yelled as soon as the mist came down.

The God-born opened her arms and Rere came running. The other children and their parents held to ceremony. They went around greeting each uhonmon as was customary. The girls knelt briefly in front of each one and the boys bent at their waist till their hands touched the floor.

The group gathered in front of the entrance to the tunnel of the twins.

“Do they know what must be done?” an older uhonmon asked Ejehmen.

Ejehmen bowed, bending at the waist, before he nodded in response.

“Then let us proceed.” The old man prompted, extending his arm towards the entrance.

Efua led the way. The rest of them followed. One by one they walked into the tunnel of the twins, until Odion was the only one standing on the other side of it. She made to walk in and her apparition formed in front of her, blocking her way in.

“Step aside!” Odion heard herself command her apparition, her voice filled with indignation. It had suddenly become so important to her that she walk into that tunnel and see what her family was doing.

The apparition stirred. The now familiar hole formed in its center. Odion knew what that hole meant. She knew that it meant she wasn’t going into that tunnel. She sighed and walked into the hole, resigned to go wherever the apparition led her.

Rays of mesmerizing blue light filled the place. There were no windows, no cuts into the walls through which light could come in. There were no lightbulbs, no lanterns, not even candles, nothing to light the room artificially. There was no obvious source for the blue light which filled the room with its dazzling splendor. The ground was red, clay-red, the red of natural Edo soil. It was everywhere. Trees grew tall nurtured by its purity. Silver rocks dazzled against it, and the channel of blue water, in the middle of the room, was simply picturesque against the red of the soil.

All of the trees were spectacular, none of them looked natural. It wasn’t too difficult for Odion to decipher that they were verdant grown trees. Natural trees didn’t have the orange leaves of the firmgourd leaf Eroms had used to save the boys Idemudia almost killed, or the blue and yellow of the coverdaub which had saved Eroms from the InCoSeM killers. There were other trees like that, some with a purple bark and small silver fruits hanging from them.

Odion kept walking, admiring the trees, the soil, the water, the lighting, everything really. The further she moved, the darker the blue lighting got, until it became evident that she was moving away from the main area. She turned around and walked back to the brighter part. She kept going till she got to the wall on the other side, where the blue light was brightest. That was when she noticed the sacks. There were large brown sacks filled with seeds of different colors.

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 1:29am On Jan 26
Curious, Odion stretched out her arm to sink her hand into the sack of seeds. The wall chose that minute to part.

Odion jumped back, as the previously solid red wall, cracked in its center and a rectangular hole formed in it. She kept walking backwards away from that hole.

“What?” Odion yelped, startled by the scorching heat behind her. She turned around. Her mouth hung open as she looked up, up, up into the tall creature standing in front of her. The creature had the same combination of parts as her apparition. It had a puddle of water at its base, a body of fire above that water, wind at its top, rocks emanating from the sides of the fire, and leaves sprouting from the rocks. The main difference was in how big it was. Unlike her apparition, this creature overshadowed her. It was so tall in fact that the top of its head of wind brushed against the ceilings. It was so big that the smallest leaf emanating from the arm of giant rocks was double the size of her entire hand. The fire that burned at its belly was so big and so hot, she had to move back to keep from getting burnt by a stray ember.

Odion moved backwards and the creature’s huge head of wind bent down. Odion had an eerie feeling that it was looking right at her. Then it rose its head back up and Odion remembered how to breathe.

Then she turned back around to face the rest of the room, and experienced another loss of air. The giant creature she’d seen standing behind her wasn’t the only one in the place. The area had suddenly filled with them. There were at least ten, just as huge as the one behind her. They all stood by the walls, like guards.

Before Odion’s bemused eyes, a smooth dark silver canoe rose from the blue water. The canoe came out of the water as if it was being lifted from below. Even after the bottom reached the surface of the water, the canoe continued to rise, lifted by green leaf hands. The creatures behind those hands rose from the water too, their heads of wind parting the blue waters. There was one standing at the front of the canoe and one standing at its back. Those creatures were much closer to the size of Odion’s apparition than the giant ones surrounding her. The creatures lay the canoe on the water and climbed into it.

The sound of feet rubbing against the dry soil pulled Odion’s attention back to the hole in the wall. She watched as the God-born walked in, holding Oni and Rere’s hands in hers. Both girls stared at the place with wide eyes. As Odion watched her younger self, she began to remember what it had felt like to see the room for the first time. There was one thing missing in her memory, the giant creatures around the room. She couldn’t remember seeing them. It was obvious from watching their reactions that none of them could see the creatures.

Idemudia walked in after them, followed by Eroms and then their parents. They each had a single backpack on their backs. Ejehmen held a small duffel bag.

“What is this place, mamin?” Eroms asked.

“It is our village.” The God-born replied. “Do you know what an Enikaro village is?” she asked him.

Eroms shook his head.

“It is home. This is the safest place for a descendant of the Enikaro. Every Enikaro wedding is consecrated here. This is where our families begin. Element guards from the supreme existence live here. They watch over this sacred place and protect it. As long as there is a descendant of the Enikaro in this world, our village will remain right here, a safe haven when needed.”

Rere’s eyes were wide as she stared up trustingly at her grandmother. Oni looked a little skeptical, but also very impressed and very stunned. Idemudia’s frightened eyes darted over the room as if he was terrified that the element guards would leap out and attack him. Ejehmen and Itohan just smiled, having heard the tale so many times. Eroms was not buying it. He laughed.

“What is it really?” he asked.

The God-born just shook her head at him. “You have so little faith in Nature, in Duraya. I don’t blame you for it, not after everything that was done to you and your family in Duraya’s name. But never forget that Nature is made, in part, of your ancestors. Let Duraya set your fate.”

Eroms scoffed. “I set my own fate.” He stated stubbornly.

The God-born’s face contorted with grief, but then she smiled sadly. “Perhaps it is for the best.” She said.

“Mother?” Ejehmen asked.

“You cannot serve Duraya out there. It is too dangerous. That is the first thing they will look for. Even the slightest slip could give you away. You must live as the unmarked do. Maybe pick one of their religions. I hear Catholicism is common amongst the unmarked.”

“You must be joking.” Ejehmen spat out derisively.

“I am not.” The God-born stated firmly.

Ejehmen turned away stubbornly.

The God-born sighed. She let go of the girls’ hands and knelt in front of Oni. She pulled the little girl into her arms hugging her fiercely. “Nature’s best has given the elements your name, they will not forget you. Remember the totem Efua gave you. Remember that the totem will remain with you for as long as the elements watch over you. When you need it, it will appear.” After saying that she hugged Oni tightly and kissed on her cheek. Then she let her go.

The God-born turned on her knees to face Rere and spread her arms wide. Rere came running into them. “You are special.” The God-born said to her. “You will have a daughter, a girl with more power than anyone could ever imagine. You must protect yourself Akhere, you must make sure that you bring her into this world.” After saying that the God-born rose her hands to her neck and took off a beautiful necklace. Looking closer, Odion saw that it was actually a rosary. The God-born put it over Rere’s head so that it rested on her shoulders. It was too big for her, so the cross hung down almost to her waist. “This is a bijou made right here, in this village. Your daughter will need it, so you must protect it with your life. You must make sure she gets it.” The God-born looked up to Ejehmen and Itohan. “No matter the price, you cannot sell it. No matter the burden, you must not part with it. Do you understand?”

Ejehmen pulled a sobbing Itohan into his arms. They both nodded.

The God-born pulled Akhere closer and hugged her tightly. Then she let go. She stood up and moved on to Idemudia.

Idemudia smiled a little warily at her. The God-born chuckled. She rubbed the back of the fingers of her right hand against Idemudia’s cheek. “You have a great destiny.”

Idemudia gasped. “Me?” he asked, shocked.

The God-born smiled. “Yes Idemudia, you. You are special too. You will have children, special children. In some ways, they will be the most special. Don’t be afraid to be hard on them. Sometimes children need to be hard and strong to survive in this world. They will need to be even stronger and harder to survive in theirs. And remember this, doing Duraya’s will isn’t always difficult. It could be a pleasure.” She added the last part with a teasing smile on her face.

“I don’t understand.”

“When the time is right, you will.” Then she reached into the pocket of her white velvet skirt and pulled out a parcel wrapped in a strip of white velvet cloth. “This is a single crystal of a scarlet diadem. Do you know what a scarlet diadem is?”

Idemudia stared at the cloth with wide eyes. He nodded, never taking his eyes off the cloth.

The God-born chuckled. “Good. Take it.” She handed it to him. Idemudia took it with a trembling hand. She pinched his chin between her thumb and her forefinger keeping his gaze locked on her. “Do not use it. It may be tempting, but that is not what this is for. Do not use it for commune magic, no matter how dire the situation. This is a gift that will buy you your life. Do not spend it before its time. Do you understand?”

Idemudia gulped nervously and then he nodded.

She pulled him into her arms and hugged him. Then she kissed him on the cheek and let go of him. She walked over to Eroms.

Eroms looked steadily at her. There was grief in his eyes, as he stared at his grandmother.

“My little man.” The God-born teased.

“I’m not little anymore mamin.”

“You are fourteen years old.” She stated flatly.

“People think I’m eighteen.”

“Nobody thinks you are eighteen.” She replied.

Eroms smiled. The smile didn’t reach his eyes, it only showed in the curve of his lips. “This is goodbye, isn’t it?” he asked. “We’ll never see you again, will we?”

The God-born sniffed. Her eyes seemed a little wet, but no tears fell. She shook her head. “No, you will not. This is goodbye.”

Eroms’ jaw clenched. He nodded. “Don’t worry about us mamin. After we leave, don’t fret. We’ll be fine. Focus on here, on the ancestry, on this fight with InCoSeM. We will survive. I swear it.”

The God-born smiled at him. She put her palm against his cheek. “Don’t make oaths you don’t have the power to keep.”

“I will do everything within my power then.” He said, his voice shaking a little at the end. For a second, Odion thought he would join his crying mother, but he didn’t. He didn’t shed a single tear.

She reached into both pockets. Odion wondered how deep her pockets were, when she pulled out the bijou gun Omoruyi had made for Eroms from one pocket, and a small bag from the other. She handed them both over to Eroms. Eroms took them from her.

“There is a bottle of pure Edo soil in the bag, soil gotten from this village. There is also parchment grown from that tree.” She turned and bent her head to the side. Odion followed the God-born’s gaze to the tree she referred to. Behind the stream of blue water, there was a most unusual tree, which had rolls of parchment hanging down like fruits. “I have given your mother some seeds to grow. Grow the coverdaub on pure Edo soil and it will make the soil multiply.”

Eroms nodded. He bent at the waist, bowing till his hand touched the floor. “Thank you mamin.” He said.

The God-born pulled Eroms into her arms and hugged him tightly to her chest. She kissed him on both of his cheeks before letting him go.

She turned to Itohan and pulled the crying woman into her arms. “Be strong Itohan.” She said to her as Itohan wrapped her arms around the God-born. “You have been through so much, and I apologize for the role I played in your sufferings. But you still have so much in front of you. Life will not always be easy, so you must remain strong. I know you have the strength in you. I will forever be grateful to Duraya for blessing my son with a wife like you.” The God-born kissed Itohan on both of her cheeks, as Itohan continued to cry.

“Thank you, menoba.” She said, her words muffled by her tears.

The God-born moved on to her son.

Ejehmen’s jaw clenched. He released it and then clenched it again. “Is there nothing I can say to make you change your mind?” he asked.

The God-born’s head tilted to the side. “You know better. I am uhonmon the first. What kind of leader would I be if I abandoned my people when they need me the most?”

Ejehmen pulled his mother into his arms. “Thank you, mother. You are a treasure beyond words. I’ve never deserved you.” He pulled back and kissed her on both cheeks.

“I’m the one who has never deserved you. You are a gift Eje. A gift…” she broke off, her words catching in her throat. She pulled him towards her and kissed him on both cheeks. “May you continue to find favor in Nature’s eyes. May Duraya continually watch over you.”

After saying that, she pulled away and sniffed. She took a deep breath, cleared her throat and then said, “You must leave now.” She paused. “I have created an unmarked account for you. It is under the name Ejehmen Omorodion. There is more money in it than all of you could spend in a hundred lifetimes. You will live like royalty amongst the unmarked. There is a remem I trust, a reincarnate on his twenty-seventh life. He is the longest African chain. His name is Damola, Damola Olatunji. He is young, but don’t let his youth fool you. Like I said, he has lived a lot of lives.” She reached into her pocket and pulled out a small sachet. “That is the male to the female part of mate magic he has in him.” She handed it to Ejehmen. “Once you ingest the male part, you will know exactly where he is. As soon as you leave, go to him. He will help you get access to your fortune.”

Ejehmen appeared speechless. He took the sachet from his mother’s hand and then bowed, bending at the waist till his hand touched the floor. “Thank you, mother.” He said. “Thank you isn’t enough for all that you’ve done for us, but it’s all I can give.”

The God-born smiled. She pulled Ejehmen up. “It is time to go.”

Ejehmen hugged his mother one last time, and then he let her go.

Itohan knelt on both knees in front of the God-born. “Thank you, menoba.” She said, her words audible now that her tears had subsided.

The God-born nodded, gesturing with her hand for Itohan to rise.

Itohan and Ejehmen pulled the children together and they made their way to the canoe.

“Goodbye mamin.” Oni called out, as Eroms lifted her onto the canoe.

The God-born’s only response was a smile.

Odion watched as one by one, her family members loaded themselves onto the canoe. Seeing how tight it was, she understood why the God-born had told them they could only bring a bag pack each. Odion watched herself and her memories from that day came back. She remembered being afraid and sad because she knew that she would never see her mamin again. She remembered wondering where they were going, and not fully understanding why they had to leave. She remembered the shock of feeling the canoe begin to move once they’d all sat on the wooden benches in it. She remembered wondering how it was able to move by itself.

Now, as she looked at the creatures which were like her apparitions, the ones who’d brought the canoe out and climbed into it, she knew that it hadn’t been moving by itself. Those creatures’ arms of rocks had turned into paddles which pushed against the water, propelling them onwards.

The one thing Odion remembered most clearly was the sound of her father’s muffled tears.

The God-born stood there. She watched them leave, standing straight even as Akhere broke down into tears. Ejehmen didn’t turn around, Odion knew it was because it was too hard on him. Itohan waved, tears streaming down her face as the canoe began to move into the darker parts of the place. Eroms turned. He rose his hand up in farewell. The last thing Odion saw before the canoe moved completely out of view, was Oni’s eyes staring at her grandmother. She’d known it was goodbye, she’d known she’d never see her mamin again, but she hadn’t cried. She just stared at her, her face emotionless. Odion remembered what she’d been doing in that moment, she’d being trying to memorize her grandmother’s face.

The God-born waited for the canoe to leave and then she pulled a totem out of her pocket. She swiped her finger across the edge of the totem and then threw it into the blue waters.

Her voice shook with suppressed tears as she yelled, “I am Ehizokhae one, the God-born, daughter of Duraya, Nature’s own, Uhonmon the first, Omoye. You know who I am, you who are of me who are of you. I seek to speak with a Seliat.”

Odion watched transfixed as nothing happened. She wasn’t sure what was supposed to happen, but she had a feeling it wasn’t this.

The God-born didn’t give up. “I am your kin. I know that I am not Nature’s best, you have not chosen me. I know that I am not an elemental, Nature hasn’t given me the gift of seeing you. But I am your kin, and I have been anointed by two Nature’s best, two elementals you’ve chosen have found me worthy, so please, grant me an audience with a Seliat.” She sounded desperate.

Still nothing.

Then gentle waves began to form in the blue water. From those waves two drops of water, as big as Odion’s head, emerged. The drops were followed by a huge drop of water and two more long drops hanging from the tip. Odion had never seen anything like it. It seemed similar in some way to her apparition, but it was different, because it was only made of water. The creature moved out of the blue channel of water and stopped on the red soil. Odion noted that like her apparition, this creature also moved on a puddle of water.

“Greetings Ehizokhae one, the God-born, daughter of Duraya, Nature’s own, Uhonmon the first, Omoye. I know who you are, I who are of you, who are of me acknowledges your presence.” The creature sounded like it was singing. The drops of water at its tip swayed as it spoke.

The God-born’s eyes widened. She looked at the creature, her mouth hanging open as if she was at a loss for words. Odion realized than that the God-born hadn’t expected the creature to actually show up.

The God-born bowed slightly to it. “Greetings kin.” The God-born replied.

“What is it you seek?” the creature asked.

“You.” Was the God-born’s reply.

The drops of water at the tip pulled back. “Please, clarify.”

“My great-granddaughter will be an elemental. I want her to be closely bound to water. I want you, not fire, not air, not earth. Only you.”

“Why water?”

“Water is graceful. Water is calm. It is not rash. It fights on the defensive, it does not attack recklessly. With water in her, she will be a good warrior. But more importantly, she will be a good leader.”

“Only single marked witches are considered for water. From them, only the most deserving receive the gift. What you are asking is no small favor.”

“I know. But I am asking.”

There was a period of silence.

“I know who you are. I will grant your request, but something like this cannot come without a price.”

“Name your price.” She said hastily.

“For an Ehizokhae to be born with water, an Ehizokhae must give its life to water.”

The God-born nodded with acceptance, as if she’d been expecting it. “Take my life. I will happily give it for that girl to succeed.”

“Your life is not yours to give. We both know that.”

That was when the God-born’s confusion set in. “I don’t understand. I am the only Ehizokhae in the community.”

“Are you?”

She frowned. The furrows on her forehead cleared as understanding dawned. “No. I will not sacrifice Omoruyi.”

The drops of water at the tip bobbed. “It is your decision to make.” It said. A small drop of water rose from its large drop in the center and crystallized. The blue crystal floated in the air, over to the God-born.

The God-born took it.

“That is my seed. You know what to do if you want the girl to be born with water.”

2 Likes

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by GeoSilYe(f): 9:18am On Jan 26
ObehiD I dont understand what happened to Uwa.

Thumbs up by the way.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Peaceyw(m): 10:44am On Jan 26
wow, dis is a cliffhanger, I don't even know wat to say.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 12:14am On Jan 27
@GeoSilYe Thank you. As to what happened to Uwa, I don't know...we can make up a story. Maybe she cut off her own hair and put herself in that state once she went to pray and she felt Duraya's anger at her. Or maybe someone else did it to her. cheesy

@Peaceyw hahaha...thank you, that's the goal grin
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Botaflica(m): 12:16am On Jan 27
My goodness, thanks for the mention. I was away for so long that I missed the earlier chapters. Great work I can't be waiting to be educated and inspired from this. Thanks ObeihD
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 12:23am On Jan 27
Chapter Forty-three
St. Luke’s, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria

Osezele leaned against the side of the incomplete building facing the school, and watched as Nosa jumped down the fence. His landing wasn’t smooth, but it was better than the other wolves’ had been. She continued her stalker-like study of him, as he peeled the solid gloves off his hands and tucked them into the waist band of his trousers. Ehi had bought all the marked students and Tolani gloves, to make sure that they could climb over to this side of the fence. With the imp in the school, he didn’t want to risk discussing anything even remotely important, where it could possible overhear.

Nosa fell to the ground when an SS3 beta jumped from the top of the fence and landed against him. The boy rolled off Nosa and began such a profuse apology that Osezele had to blink to make sure that her eyes weren’t deceiving her. Nosa didn’t seem the least bit surprised. He glanced dismissively at the SS3 boy – Osezele’s eyes widened at the casual disrespect – and then his lips moved. She didn’t hear what he said, but apparently it had been funny, because all the wolves in hearing distance laughed riotously, SS2 and SS3 boys, slapping themselves on the back, their lips moving too. It had been a long time since anyone had seen the pack this relaxed. Osezele beamed with pride knowing that Nosa was the one responsible for the change.

Nosa clamped his hand onto the shoulder of the SS3 boy who’d fallen. The boy returned the gesture, throwing his hand over Nosa’s shoulder. They walked together towards the incomplete building where Osezele stood, gawking at them.

She hadn’t spoken to Nosa since the whole debacle with Binta. Granted it was just Wednesday and the thing had only happened two days ago, but still, this was supposed to be their moment, their time. He was supposed to run to her and apologize for everything that happened, giving her the chance to be angry at him, but then graciously forgive him. He was supposed to have given her the opportunity to wow him with how big she was. But he hadn’t. Instead he avoided her, as if she was the one at fault. He chose a psycho over her, but she was the one paying for it. It didn’t seem fair.

So why was she moving towards him and the SS3 boy he walked with?

Osezele stopped in front of them. The SS3 boy let go of Nosa and walked away to give the two of them privacy. Nosa took one look at her, and then he looked away. His face seemed so distant. There had been a flash of pain in his eyes before he’d looked away, but she hadn’t seen that, she only saw the emotionless features.

Osezele sighed. “Hey Nosa.”

Nosa’s jaw clenched, but he didn’t say anything. He dug his hands into the pockets of his trousers and stared at the ground. Osezele bent her head downward to see what could possibly be so fascinating about the sand and grass. All she saw was the dirt he kicked around with the front of his sandals.

“Why won’t you talk to me?” she asked. There was a hitch in her voice, a sign of the wealth of emotions behind those words. Those emotions could be washed away if she let them, but she didn’t, she wanted him to know how she felt.

Nosa heard it and his head snapped up. His eyes locked with hers and for a second, Osezele saw the Nosa she recognized behind them. The one who cared about her, the one who ran into Ebo’s power sink to save her, and ended up being enthralled to the commune. The one who’d tried everything he knew how to, to save her from the commune. The one who’d put himself in pain to carry her off the road when the merged imps took over her. And then he was gone, back to the emotionless mask that had taken over the boy she loved.

“Nova!” Lanky called out, slapping Nosa’s back as he walked by. He looked at Osezele and then back at Nosa and winked. “Na real Casanova oh.” He remarked to the SS2 and SS3 boys walking by him, they all laughed.

Nosa didn’t.

The laughter quickly faded to a few awkward chuckles.

Nosa looked away from Osezele. “I have to go.” He stated flatly, and then he side-stepped, moving around her, to join his pack.

He put his arms around Lanky and the SS2 beta standing next to him. “Can anyone think of a nickname that means ‘big mouth’?” he asked, staring pointedly at Lanky. Lanky was the first to laugh, the other wolves laughed as well. Nosa chuckled when Lanky retorted with some taunts of his own, throwing in the name ‘Nova’ a few times.

As they walked away, Osezele caught a glimpse of the Nosa she knew. His head tilted backwards, which revealed his white teeth as he laughed at something someone else had said. Obviously, he wasn’t emotionless with everyone, just her.

Watching Nosa, Osezele felt the urge to cry. Tears burned her eyes. She sniffed.

“Don’t even think about it.” Tolani scolded, pinching Osezele in the arm.

The pain from the pinch was exactly what she needed. It broke Osezele’s fascination with Nosa, giving the emotions a chance to get washed away.

“Thank you.” Osezele said, too embarrassed to look Tolani in the eye.

“Is he really worth it?” Tolani asked. “I mean, he seems to be good for the pack, and good for Ricky, but he’s not good for you. Now there’s absolutely nothing standing in his way. There’s nothing keeping the two of you apart, so why is he treating you like this?”

Osezele sighed. “Please.” She begged. “Let’s not talk about it.”

Tolani shrugged. “So, how are the cutlass fighting lessons going?”

Osezele exhaled. She let her eyes move to Tolani’s briefly, as if to test the waters, and then she let her eyes remain there when she didn’t see any judgement in her best-friend’s face. Only concern. She smiled in gratitude. “They’re going well. I don’t even believe how good my instincts are getting for blocking. But I’m still having trouble attacking. I think uncle Ehi has decided I’m hopeless.”

Speaking of the devil, Ehi walked towards the girls right after Osezele mentioned his name. He caught her eye, held it, and tilted his head towards the group of students gathered a good distance away from them. He did all of this without breaking his stride. Osezele nodded. She slipped her hand into Tolani’s and pulled her friend along as they walked to join the group of marked students.

Osezele stood as far away from Nosa as she could.

Ehi paced in front of the gathered group. Osezele shook her head. No, pacing wasn’t good enough to describe what he was doing. Marching, she thought smiling at him, marching was better.

He stopped. He stood with his hands held behind his back and his feet planted a shoulder’s-width apart. It was as if he was standing at ease.

“We are in the end zone.” He stated. “We have run out of time with the quintise magic. We have till the end of this week before the bijoutise completes. When that happens, the wolves in this school need to be united under a single alpha.” Ehi paused. He took his time to stare the wolves in the eyes. He took note of Beedie slinking away in one corner, venomously eyeing Nosa and the wolves around him. Ehi looked away. “The alpha brawl is set for Friday afternoon, after the lunch meal, right here.”

“What about the quintise magic?” Victor asked.

Ehi nodded in his direction, before proceeding to answer the question. “I have arranged for a quintise to be here for the rest of the week. They will make sure that the brawl is free from the effects of the magic surrounding the school. They will also do bijoutise magic of their own to reverse the effects of the first bijoutise magic done.”

The students all began to talk as one. They were ecstatic. They chatted on and on about the same thing. For a moment, Ehi stood back watching with a perplexed look on his face, as he wondered how so few people could make so much noise.

Ehi cleared his throat.

“Shut up!” Lami snapped. “See the way you people are acting like uncultured maggots. Abi you’ve never heard good news before?” She concluded her remarks with her patented hiss.

The chatter ceased. The students became quiet, staring expectantly at Ehi.

Ehi’s lips twitched. He took his attention to Lami and tilted his head to her in a gesture of appreciation. Lami smiled in response. Ehi turned back to face the group. “I just got word from the quintise. They have arrived at the Port Harcourt International airport. I need some of you to go and pick them up.”

Some of the students gasped in shock. Ehi couldn’t tell if it was a shock that meant they wanted to go or that they didn’t. Not that it was up to them.

“Why didn’t they just teleport here instead of flying?” Victor asked.

Ehi turned his attention to Tolani and quirked a brow as if to ask ‘do you want to take this one?’.

“InCoSeM borders.” Tolani replied. “InCoSeM restricts teleportation between countries to specific routes. They control those routes. So, if anyone tries to do a cross-country teleportation InCoSeM would know.”

“Thank you.” Ehi said, hiding a smirk. He would never get used to the shocked expressions on the faces of the marked students every time Tolani showed just how much more she knew about their marks, than they did. He continued talking. “I would go, but I have a meeting with the headmistress that I cannot miss. So, Osezele will go in my place.”

Osezele jumped. “Me?” she asked, her voice squeaky.

“Yes, you.” Ehi replied, without turning to look at her. “I’ll need a student who can drive to volunteer to go with her. Lami,” he began turning to face the head girl. “I’ll also need your strongest healer and your strongest augur to go with them.”

Lami nodded. “Ngo and Theresa.” She announced. Then she turned back to Ehi. “Do you need my strongest memoir too?” she asked.

Ehi appreciated the gesture. He showed this by smiling slightly at her, before shaking his head.

Lanky stepped forward. “I’ll take them. I have my driver’s license in school.”

Ehi nodded. “Good. I’ll walk the four of you to the bus. The rest of you should wait here with Lami.”

After saying that, Ehi turned to face Osezele and tilted his head sharply to the side. He wasn’t giving her the chance to argue, wasn’t giving her a choice really, she was going. She gulped nervously and then made her way towards the three students walking away.

“I’ll go too.” Nosa said.

Osezele stopped walking. She stared at him with shock. She caught Nosa’s gaze and held it. It was obvious from the look on his face that he wanted to go because of her. Osezele looked at the ground and smiled.

“What use is a werewolf without his mark?” Ehi asked.

Nosa turned his attention to Ehi. He shrugged. “I’ve spent time in Port Harcourt. I know the city. I know the way to the airport and back.”

Ehi inclined his head to Lanky. “He lives in Port Harcourt. He knows the way too.”

If Nosa was shocked by Ehi’s knowledge of Lanky’s place of residence, he didn’t show it. “What do you need an augur for?” he countered with a question of his own. “I don’t care if you need me or not. I’m not letting her go without me.”

No one needed to ask which ‘her’ he was referring to.

Ehi scoffed. “Right now, you’re practically unmarked. If there’s any trouble, and there shouldn’t be, but if there is, you’ll be a liability. She’ll be the one protecting you. She doesn’t need that. She needs her mind on the mission.”

“It’s not a mission, it’s an errand. And I’m not asking.” Nosa replied. He didn’t say what the real reason was though, he didn’t say that he couldn’t bear the thought of sitting in school and twiddling his thumbs while he worried about her. Something about this felt dangerous. Why else would Mr. Ehi ask for a healer if he didn’t think someone could get hurt? No, Nosa was going. He had to be there for her, to protect her, it was his responsibility.

At that moment, Ehi contemplated the alternate reality of a world where the boy had followed Ebo, his commune master, to his grave. An evil smile twisted his lips as he thought of how much simpler that world would be. “Fine.” He conceded. “Come.”

Nosa nodded. He didn’t even look at Osezele as he walked past her.

Osezele frowned at the back of his head. She fumed as she walked behind them, wondering why Nosa was so determined to come if he wasn’t even going to talk to her. Then a thought crossed her mind. Maybe she wasn’t the ‘her’ he was coming along for. Maybe it was Ngozi or Theresa. With Nosa she could never really tell.

Ehi led them around the incomplete building and past the wall of shrubs that grew around it. They walked the familiar route, emerging on a muddy road and walking past the mud to the black tarred road behind it. There was a small white bus parked by the side of the road. The bus didn’t have any labels on it, it didn’t have any distinguishing marks. It had four rows of seats for passengers. Each of those rows looked like they could easily take three people seating comfortably, six if they squished together. The last row was a bit longer. It had room for two to four more people.

Ehi pulled the keys out of his pockets and tossed them to Lanky.

“With the truancy bill, if you get taken by the police, you will be sent to the community.” Ehi turned to face Osezele. “You must not let that happen.”

Osezele’s heart seemed to beat a little faster in her fear. Was she imagining things, or had he just emphasized the word ‘you’ while staring at her, as if saying that keeping them from getting caught was her personal responsibility? She swallowed nervously. What was she supposed to do if they got caught?

“If you are taken to the community, they will come to St. Luke’s next. They will arrest your family, arrest your friends, arrest everyone who’s ever suspected what you are.” After delivering the ominous warning. Ehi’s tone lightened. “All I’m saying is be careful.”

After saying that, he turned around and walked away.

‘Is this wise?’ Ose’s voice sounded in his head. ‘If she gets caught, it will be very hard to get her out of it without the news of who she is spreading.’

‘Please,’ Ehi thought in response, ‘It’s the Port Harcourt community we’re talking about. That place is easier to infiltrate than the void in the Benin community. And you know how easy it is to get into the void.’

Ose sighed. ‘I could have picked the quintise up and brought them to you, or you could have teleported to get them. This is all too much of a risk. One we could end up paying for with our lives. You’re the one who keeps saying that the ones who know are not the forgiving type. If they find out what you did to their…’

‘Stop!’ Ehi snapped. ‘It’s my decision to make and I’ve made it. That girl needs to toughen up. She needs to learn to fight for herself. She needs to know how it feels to fight with the pressure of her friends’ lives at stake. Those are things I cannot teach her.’

‘She defeated the merged imps. She killed an imp, something no one else has ever done. She did all of this while her friends were in danger. She’s already learnt those lessons Ehi. You are being too hard on her.’

‘I’m her trainer. I know what she needs to learn, and I decide how to teach it to her. Unless you want me to start interfering with the way you manage your charges, I’d advise you to back the hell off.’

Ose huffed and then her presence in Ehi’s mind faded.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 12:24am On Jan 27
Ehi turned around. He was far enough out of the way that they wouldn’t see him, but close enough that he could see them. He watched as they climbed into the bus. He watched the bus roar to life, and then move off.

Ehi pulled out his cellphone and dialed in the number of the Port Harcourt police captain. He’d made a point of making friends with the captain. It had cost him close to a million community Naira, but it was money well spent.

“Good evening sir.” Ehi greeted as soon as the man picked the call.

“Ah, my young friend, how are you?” the loud voice echoed from the other side of the phone. It was the voice of a man with an exaggerated sense of self-importance.

“Fine sir. Do you remember the side job we talked about? The one with me working for you as a bounty hunter for unknowns living outside the community?”

The man laughed. “Yes, my ambitious friend. I remember telling you to prove that you could handle it, and never hearing back from you.”

“I was working on it sir. Now I have something. Five children, all marked, they’re going to pick up five marked adults from the International airport. They will be passing through Choba, driving in a small white bus. If you can get your officers to pick them up, I will deliver them to the community personally and bring the reward back to you sir.”

There was a moment of silence on the other end of the line. Then the loud voice laughed. “I am impressed.” The man bellowed. “I will arrange for my officers to meet you in front of my house in old GRA, after they pick up the marked people.”

---------------------------------------------------------------
Port Harcourt International Airport, Rivers State, Nigeria
---------------------------------------------------------------

That had been the single most uncomfortable ride of her life. Between Nosa pointedly ignoring her, Theresa’s rambling commentary, and Ngozi’s ‘jokes’ that their safety was on her, Osezele had spent the entire ride wishing she’d been anywhere else. Now they were finally at the airport, and Osezele didn’t know how she was going to endure the ride back. Maybe Tolani was right. Maybe she just had to get over Nosa. The pain of loving him was starting to overshadow any joy she’d ever felt in it.

Lanky managed the herculean task of finding a space to park in the crowded parking lot. He ended up driving onto a ramp, and parking next to the other wrongfully parked cars. Lanky turned off the car, pulled the key out of the ignition and put the slip he’d gotten while driving into the airport into his pocket. He jumped out of the car and rushed to the other side to open the door for Ngozi, who’d sat beside him in the front of the bus.

Things in the back were less orderly.

Osezele had shared a seat with Nosa on the first row, leaving Theresa alone in the second. They all seemed to have the idea to leave at the same time, because they all rushed for the single slide door at the same time. Osezele and Theresa pulled back, allowing Nosa to grab the handle and slide the door open. He jumped down first and stretched his hand out to help Osezele down.

It was a testament to how piqued she was, that she ignored his outstretched hand and jumped down by herself.

Nosa frowned.

Theresa grabbed the open hand and allowed him to lead her down.

Nosa slid the door shut when she got down.

“Princess.” He called out, walking hastily to catch up with her.

Osezele pretended not to hear him. She jumped down the ramp they’d climbed on, walking along the road, when she saw the first police vehicle parked off to the side with four armed soldiers seated within it. The Nigerian police vehicles where impossible to miss. They looked like four-door-pickup trucks with a tent and seats built into the cargo bed. They had long rectangular blue and red blinker lights attached at the top. Three of the soldiers sat in the rear of the truck, the muzzles of their guns pointing out, and one sat in the open backseat of the vehicle.

Osezele curtsied, greeting the soldiers in passing. The soldiers glanced at the students, nodding in response to their greeting. One of them even smiled.

“We should have changed out of our uniforms.” Theresa whispered once they’d safely made it past the soldiers.

Ngozi rolled her eyes. “Abeg relax Tess. The truancy bill is strict to keep soldiers from suspecting every student in uniform. The fact that we’re walking around out here is justification to them that we couldn’t possible be marked. So just take a deep breath and control yourself. Ah, this your fear is affecting everybody oh.”

“Do we even know what the quintise looks like?” Lanky asked.

They’d walked towards the front of the airport, on the slab in front of the departures section. They turned to their left and walked towards the arrivals. They got to the gate, and caught a glimpse of the arrivals tent where the passengers coming in did their immigrations check and baggage claim. They had to give up the slab because the crowd around those gates was so large, large enough to spill onto the road.

The kids walked down the slab, around the large crowd. There was a fast-food restaurant close to them, but they were all too terrified of getting caught to waste time on treats. They found a spot on the slab behind the crowd of people surrounding the gate, and squeezed into it, preparing for a long wait.

Ngozi gasped.

The area was so crowded, and milling with so many people, that none of the other students heard her.

Her eyes went white. A hand gently held onto her shoulder as the image of a person wrapped from head to toe in a lavender cloth infiltrated her mind. The invasion was gentle, but so strong and evident of so much power that Ngozi was helpless against it. It felt like an attack. She shivered.

‘Relax Ngozi. I am a friend.’ The person in her mind said. Ngozi couldn’t help her shaking. It was impossible to see the person’s face behind all the wrappings, and the person was so much stronger that she or he could scour through Ngozi’s thoughts and memories without her being able to do a thing about it. She’d never met a stronger augur.

‘My name is Kaya. I am the augur in the quintise that Ehi sent you to pick up. Relax, calm yourself. I am a friend.’

In a gesture to prove the words she’d said, Kaya relaxed her control on the bond, giving Ngozi the opportunity to push through and access her memories if she wanted to. It was an unbelievable sign of faith and goodwill. Ngozi breathed out. She could feel her heart rate slow down.

‘You scared me. Most augurs who push a bond on other people are not good. I learnt that the hard way in the community.’ Ngozi’s voice in her head held a note of censure.

The lavender clad, mummy-like person in her head, bowed slightly. ‘Forgive me. If we could talk, we would have done the introduction in a more traditional way.’

‘If we could talk?’ Ngozi asked confused.

Kaya sighed. ‘We thought Ehi would tell you why we asked for an augur to come along. We are mute.’ Kaya chuckled briefly. ‘No, it is not a choice.’ She said in answer to the questions in Ngozi’s mind. ‘We are not a usual quintise. We do jobs that could be very dangerous if the wrong people find out, and so we decided to make sacrifices to ensure no one ever can. Our first sacrifice was our ability to speak.’

‘Wow.’ Ngozi thought, with a sense of awe. She wasn’t sure she could make that sacrifice for anyone.

‘Do you have control of your mark? Can you dualize? Can you stay in this bond while conversing with your friends?’

Ngozi nodded. ‘Learning to control my mark was one of the few good things that came out of my time in the community.’

‘Good.’ Kaya said.

Osezele’s eyes roamed the area casually. She wasn’t looking for anything in particular, but when she stumbled upon Ngozi with a hand on her shoulder and her eyes white, she knew.

“They’re here.” Osezele whispered. Her voice was shaky. She cleared her throat and then nudged Nosa in the side. “They are here.” She said more loudly this time.

Then, with her eyes, she followed the hand on Ngozi’s shoulder to its owner. It was a light-skinned woman, in a long flowing shapeless white gown, with a white turban wrapped on her head. As she studied the woman, her gaze broke off from the back of Ngozi’s head and turned to her. Startled, Osezele gasped, rearing backwards as she stared at the most unnerving thing she’d ever seen. Half of the woman’s face was wrinkled and discolored, as if she’d been burned, and the other half was normal. The unnerving part was her eyes. She stared at Osezele with one normal eye, a brown iris surrounded by white, and the other half split between lavender and white.

A smile formed on her face as the one normal eye began to split. Half of the eye turned white, the other half remained normal.

On a whim Osezele closed her eyes. It was just in time too, because as soon as her eyes closed, she felt the woman forcing a bond on her.

‘Osezele.’ She heard in her mind. She saw a person standing in front of her, wrapped completely in strips of lavender cloth.

She guessed the person she saw was the woman she’d been looking at, and so she greeted. ‘Good evening ma.’

‘Good evening. My name is Kaya.’ The woman paused. ‘It is an honor to meet the first ever tri-marked warlock. But you are out of balance.’ She remarked.

Osezele wasn’t sure what to say. First of all, she was reeling from the knowledge that the woman knew that she was a tri-marked warlock. And out of balance? What did that even mean? She wasn’t sure. She opened her mouth to respond, then stopped. She blinked.

Startled, she realized she was out of the bond, staring at the woman whose second eye had returned completely back to normal.

“This is the quintise.” Ngozi stated.

Osezele turned her attention to Ngozi and was taken aback when she saw that her eyes were like the woman’s. She had one eyeball which was completely white, evidence of her being in her augur mark, and one that was normal.

“We should move towards the car before I complete the introductions. Too many people.” She said. Then Ngozi’s white eye cleared completely. The woman’s did too.

Ngozi inclined her head to the side, leading them to the parked car and five people broke off. There was a man, dressed in a red long-gown, with pants underneath, it looked like a galabia. He followed directly behind Ngozi. He also had a turban wrapped around his head. There were two more men and one woman. One of the men wore blue, with a green turban wrapped around his head, the other had the same color clothing but with a white turban. The last woman wore a blue gown with a blue turban.

Lanky led them towards the parked car.

They all walked together silently. The students kept looking at the strangely dressed people with their strange turbans, while the quintise kept their eyes on the road in front of them, making too much of an effort to avoid looking the students in the eyes. When they finally reached the parked car, there was a collective sigh of relief. Finally, they could talk. Osezele and Nosa filed into the back of the bus. The quintise took up the middle. Ngozi sat with Kaya in the first row of the passengers’ seats.

Lanky started the bus.

As he drove, Ngozi began with the introductions. She started by explaining that the members of the quintise were mute and that was why they hadn’t spoken. She introduced the woman seated beside her as Kaya, the augur in the quintise. Kofi, the man in red, was their commune. The woman in blue with the blue turban was an elemental witch, named Amie. Seth was the man in blue with the green turban. He was their verdant. The last man, Raoul, was a celestial witch, he was the one in the blue gown, with the white turban.

By the time Ngozi was done with all the names, she moved on to briefly summarize their history. Kaya was from South Africa. She was born there, raised there and spent her entire life in a quintise academy. Mention of a quintise academy had the students gasping, so Kaya explained – through Ngozi – what she’d believed was common knowledge.

InCoSeM farmed out the training of different types of marked groups to different countries. There were countries solely responsible for wielder hordes, some for fire-doily thrower colonies, some for aeries, and others for quintises. There were also countries tasked with breeding, but Ngozi left that part of the discussion out. Just knowing about it made her cringe. Upon graduation, every member of the groups mentioned were given a special tag, a symbol that showed that their group was InCoSeM approved, and that they’d been trained up to InCoSeM standards.

Kaya was born in a quintise academy in Johannesburg and was retained by the academy and trained as a quintise augur. Kofi was Ghanaian. He lost control and killed three people the first time his mark came out. Since he was underage, he was taken to the Accra community, instead of jail. That was where a quintise recruiter visiting from Kaya’s academy saw potential in him and had him sent off to Johannesburg for training. Amie was born in Sierra Leone and moved with her family to Algeria when she was young. She became an elemental in a foreign country, surrounded by foreign elements that were not very friendly. Amie taught herself something very few elementals knew, she taught herself how to force the elements to obey her. The elements had a will of their own, so they always fought back. It was the elements retribution that brought Amie to the community’s notice. Her ability to manipulate hostile elements made her a prime candidate for the academy.

Seth was born in a community in Egypt. When he was ten, he sat for one of InCoSeM’s many placement exams and scored in the ninety-ninth percentile for quintise potential. His family’s wealth guaranteed that he got his pick of quintise academies all over the world. He chose Johannesburg. Raoul was born in the void in a community in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The void was the InCoSeM mandated part of the community, where unmarked born in the community were kept. The thinking behind keeping these unmarked born from marked parents in the community, was that they had the potential to pass on their marks to their children. The community searched for this occurrence during random raids on the void. Raoul spent his life avoiding detection during those raids. He’d spent eighteen years as an orphan in the void and had survived by making himself an illegal dealer of witch talismans. He was caught by the community on his nineteenth birthday. Since he’d broken the law and was legally an adult when he was caught, he was sent to jail. Raoul demanded a proper trial. In a stunning show of self-representation, Raoul somehow managed to get his sentence changed to years doing menial labor in a quintise academy. Once in the academy in Johannesburg, it hadn’t been too difficult to convince them that he would be of more use as a celestial in a quintise than as a janitor.

The five of them had been set together, as all quintises were. The unforeseen complication with them though, was that they actually liked each other. Kaya fell in love with Raoul, and Seth and Amie got married, all of which broke InCoSeM’s strict quintise non-fraternization rules. But they weren’t caught and so the five of them made it through to graduation. They had the ceremony which bound them to each other in perpetuity, as a quintise, and were given the tags which certified them as InCoSeM approved. Their first assignment had been to the Benin community in Nigeria. They didn’t share what they saw there with the students, but it was enough to push them over the edge. They left the Benin community as a renegade quintise.

“poo!” Lanky yelled, interrupting Ngozi’s story.

“What?” Ngozi asked. They’d all been so fixated on the story that they’d stopped watching their surroundings.

“Police checkpoint.” It was Nosa who replied. “It’s standard Lanky, just act like we’re not doing anything wrong.”

The police man, dressed in his all-black uniform, made a gesture for Lanky to roll his window down, which he did.

“Pull over.” The officer ordered, pointing the muzzle of his gun towards the side of the road.

Lanky looked back at Nosa through the front-mirror.

“What should I do?” he mouthed the question, without voicing it.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 12:25am On Jan 27
Botaflica:
My goodness, thanks for the mention. I was away for so long that I missed the earlier chapters. Great work I can't be waiting to be educated and inspired from this. Thanks ObeihD

Thank you! I'm just glad to have you back grin. Hope you enjoy it!
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Ayodipths(m): 12:41am On Jan 27
obehiD:

obehiD:

nobody even notice that me the naughty boy not around since upto 3month ago, I miss everybody here Sha, if they can't miss me..
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by LightQueen(f): 12:45am On Jan 27
Ayodipths:
nobody even notice that me the naughty boy not around since upto 3month ago, I miss everybody here Sha, if they can't miss me..
undecided undecided
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Ayodipths(m): 1:06am On Jan 27
LightQueen:
undecided undecided
ahah Treasure

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (23) (Reply)

My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? / English Grammar Lesson / A Christmas Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 750
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.