₦airaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,164,131 members, 4,715,434 topics. Date: Thursday, 24 January 2019 at 08:16 AM

The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book (16458 Views)

TÉLLÀ ( A Paranormal Story) / Grabbing The Hot Gate ( A Paranormal Novel) By Akintayo Akinjide / The Marked 2: White Sight. A Nigerian Fantastical Fiction Book. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by phoenixchap: 11:10pm On Aug 06, 2018
ObehiD I have been away for some time now I'm back... Good work and I just hope Mr Danladi isn't dead for real. More ink to you pen.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 9:17pm On Aug 08, 2018
phoenixchap:
ObehiD I have been away for some time now I'm back... Good work and I just hope Mr Danladi isn't dead for real. More ink to you pen.

Thank you!!! It's good to have you back smiley
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 2:07am On Aug 10, 2018
Chapter Eight
----------------------------------------------------
The Community, Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria

The light shone down on the marble blue walls of the terrace, reflecting onto the teenage girl lounging on a long leather chair. The girl blinked. She opened her eyes and glared wrathfully at the sun. Then she sighed. She sat up straight allowing Odion her first glance at the girl’s face. It was Efua. Efua stood up from the lounging chair and walked over to the rails on the balcony.

The mahogany doors behind her opened, pushed apart by two leather clad guards. A woman walked out of the doors. Odion recognized her too, she was Toju, the girl who’d introduced her mother to her father. She wore leather, a single wrapper tied around her chest. The door closed behind her.

Efua turned. Toju dropped to her knees in front of the teenage Efua and bowed her head.

“Rise.” Efua ordered. Toju stood. She walked closer when Efua beckoned her forward.

“That’s a beautiful ring menovie.” Toju remarked.

Efua stretched out her hand. A smile formed on her face as she looked at the jewel on her finger. It had a silver band and a sparkling grey stone gem. “Touch it.” Efua ordered.

Toju nodded. She rose her hand towards Efua’s finger and stroked the band lightly. As soon as her finger touched it, the silver band turned black and the stone gem changed color from grey to light pink. Toju’s mouth hung open.

“What do you see?” Efua asked.

“Air.” Toju replied, her gaze locked on the top of the pink stone. She pulled her finger back and the band returned to silver and the stone to grey.

“I see fire, when the hole chooses to appear that is.” Efua drew her hand back and let it rest on the railing.

“Why is it different?” Toju asked. “Is it just our eyes? Do we see different things?”

“It becomes something different when it’s touched by a different elemental. It morphs to the element the elemental is most closely bound to.” Efua clarified. She turned to look at Toju. “You’ve taken the oath. You couldn’t be here otherwise.”

Toju’s face lit up. “Yes menovie.” She replied. “I’ve sworn my bloodline to the ancestry.”

Efua’s lips twitched. She traced her finger against the ring. “This is the first bijou you’ve seen then?”

“Yes menovie.”

“A gift from the God-born.” Efua’s gaze scanned over the taller, older, woman standing by her. “Why are you here?” she asked.

“I’ve been assigned to serve you.”

Efua scoffed. She turned away from Toju and stared straight ahead. She remained silent, her gaze fixed on the building in front of them.

“It is my honor to serve Iwebo, the high priest of Duraya. But if you would prefer someone else…”

Efua cut her off with a raised hand. “I don’t mind having you, obviously someone thought it was a good choice; good enough to make without consulting me. No, I don’t mind, it’s just that I don’t know you.”

“My name is Toju…”

“I know who you are. I’m well aware of your lineage. I don’t know the type of person you are. I suppose I’ll find out now.” Efua turned back to face Toju and sighed. “What do you know about the bijou?”

“I know that it’s priceless to an elemental witch.”

“It comes in two forms. The first form is as a whole, usually a beautiful artifact. In this form it’s priceless to an elemental witch. It directs, amplifies and sometimes subdues our mark. The second form is dust. In that form, it can be used by anyone who’s kin to the elements.”

“Kin to the elements?” Toju asked.

“Do they teach elementals outside the ancestry nothing?”

“I’m sorry menovie.” Toju bowed her head and apologized.

“Why are you sorry? I was only asking a question. You’ll have to tell me exactly what they teach you someday.” Efua stated. Toju nodded. “Do you at least know the difference between Eletaturein and Durein?”

“Blood of the elements and blood of Duraya.”

“I’ve never liked that translation for Durein. I prefer Nature’s blood. Eletaturein is what flows through our veins as elementals. It is purely elemental, undiluted by other marks. When we make a bijou, we use our blood to bind it, to keep it solid. Only Eletaturein can forge a bijou and only Eletaturein can call to a bijou in its whole form. Do you know how a quintise is made?”

“From Durein.”

Efua nodded. “The first quintise was formed after the first ancestry, bound by Nature’s blood coursing through the veins of the Enikaro living in that time. Since then, every child born into the Enikaro adds their blood to the mix. During the ceremony Durein comes into the quintise. That makes every warlock in the sodality of coven members kin to the elements. We’ve seen the impossible become possible when they get their hands on bijou dust.”

“How is the dust created?”

“It takes very strong commune, augur and elemental magic to sublimate the Eletaturein. Once the Eletaturein is gone, anyone who’s kin to the elements can draw power from the dust.”

“Every quintise has to have a commune, an augur, and three witches. Doesn’t that mean that any quintise with an elemental witch can make a whole bijou and the dust?”

Efua smiled. “Nature always imposes a balance. The Durein in the quintise dilutes the Eletaturein in the elemental. An elemental in a quintise is no longer pure and so cannot make a bijou.”

Toju nodded. “You would think that since the quintise is made from Enikaro blood, they would be bound to the Enikaro.”

“Impressive. Just like that, you’ve stumbled upon the secret kept by the priests of Duraya.” Efua praised. “The power of the quintise comes from the ancestry. If the Enikaro were to stop existing, the ancestry goes away, and so does quintise magic.”

“Does InCoSeM know this? One would think that with all the reliance that they put on the quintise, they would want to keep their magic alive.”

“They don’t know.”

“Why don’t we tell them? They’d stop trying to destroy us if they knew that destroying us meant destroying the sodality of coven members, their precious quintise.”

“Yes, they’d turn from trying to destroy us to trying to enslave us. I know which I prefer.”

“Do you think they can destroy us?” Toju asked.

Efua gestured with the movement of her head towards the building across from where they stood. “Do you know what that is?”

“The tunnel of the twins, named after the Ehizokhae twins who gave our community the gift of the ancestry.”

“Do you know what it does?”

“Every child in the Benin community knows what the tunnel of the twins does.” Toju replied.

“Then every child in the Benin community knows that InCoSeM can never destroy us.” Efua stated haughtily.

Efua turned to the left abruptly. The terrace that they stood on extended like a ring around the building, encircling the one they stood in and bending behind to where it met another building. Every building there was connected through that terrace. As Efua watched, two men made their way down the windy terrace. As they came closer it became easier to see who they were. The one standing to the right was Ejehmen. He wore a velvet robe which had a golden belt holding it together in the center. Omoruyi walked besides him, in his regular velvet trouser and shirt. They both bowed at the waist when they got to where the teenage Efua stood with Toju.

“Menovie.” They greeted as they stood up straight.

Efua turned to face them. She nodded in greeting. “You’re dressed for a formal occasion.”

“My brother is part of the hunting party.” Omoruyi explained.

“For the errant quintise?” Efua asked. Ejehmen nodded. “I was just telling Toju about the dangers of a quintise with bijou dust. It’s a shame that all elementals don’t know the right protocols to follow when they lose a bijou. If they did, our Accra friends wouldn’t be facing so much upheaval.”

“Not all elementals are known.” Ejehmen stated.

Efua nodded. “I’m sure you and your team will bring the quintise to heel. If you happen upon the one who created the bijou be sure to bring the elemental back with you. He or she either needs retraining or restraining.”

“Yes menovie.” Ejehmen bowed.

Efua nodded. She turned around and walked away with Toju following quickly behind her.

“An edict from one obo, is an edict from the entire conclave of princes. Now you don’t have a choice, you have to go.” Omoruyi stated once Efua was out of sight.

Ejehmen exhaled deeply. He turned harried eyes towards his brother. “My wife is giving birth. How can I leave her?”

Omoruyi shrugged. “What are you going to do for her that our most skilled healers and verdants can’t?”

“Hold her hand.” Ejehmen replied.

“That’s what I’m here for. That’s what your sons are here for. That’s what our mother is here for. Go and help our Ghanaian friends, and when you get back, you’ll have two new daughters.”

Ejehmen smiled. “Daughters.” He said the word wistfully. “I told you she was a gift, didn’t I? Two boys and two girls each three years apart. Duraya smiles on us, she loves my wife.”

“Duraya is a kind mother. So, go to Accra and show her your gratitude by rounding up the quintise.”

Ejehmen exhaled. He turned to his brother and put a hand on Omoruyi’s shoulder. “You’ll look after my family?” Ejehmen asked.

“Of course. Your family is my family.” Omoruyi swore.

Ejehmen nodded. He turned and took one last long look at a distant building before foisting himself over the railing. Omoruyi watched Ejehmen walk away and waited till he was out of sight before turning and walking in the other direction. Odion wanted to follow her father, to go with him on the mission and see where it would lead. She looked down the rails wondering what would happen if she jumped the way her father had.

“Follow the other Ehizokhae.”

Odion swiveled, searching with no success for the source of the voice. She shook her head and chose to ignore it.

“Follow the other Ehizokhae.”

This time it was more persistent. She sighed, took one last look at her father and turned around to follow her uncle Omoruyi.

Omoruyi walked along the winding twists of the terrace, till he reached a white door with golden knobs. There was a woman dressed in leather standing in front of that door. She played with her fingers, her eyes darting in all directions as though she was nervous. As soon as she saw Omoruyi she let go of her finger. “I don’t think I can do this Uyi.” She said.

“Of course you can. You do love my brother, don’t you?” Omoruyi asked.

The woman nodded. “With all my heart. But he loves his wife. And the God-born. What will she do to me?”

Omoruyi smiled. “Trust me, my mother will be too busy to even consider searching for you.” After saying that, he twisted the golden knob and pulled the door open.

Five women and Six men stood in the middle of the room they walked into. Some of them wore white and red velvet, four of them wore snow-white velvet. Omoruyi bowed till his hand touched the floor and the woman knelt and placed both hands on the ground.

“What gives you the right to call a meeting of the clan?” An old man in snow white velvet demanded.

Omouryi stood. He bowed slightly to the man before responding. “With all due respect menoba, this isn’t a meeting of the clan. My mother and Efua aren’t here.”

A younger woman in red and white asked, “What do you want Omoruyi?”

Omoruyi bowed to the woman and smiled. His eyes lit up with mischief as he smiled intimately at the woman. He winked at her and she smiled back. “I want to help you, menobas, menovies, to do the job that Duraya requires of you. I want to help you keep our ancestry untarnished.”

“What does that mean?” Another man in white and red asked.

Omoruyi turned back towards the leather clad woman kneeling behind him. He nodded at her and she swallowed nervously. “I have seen the God-born’s granddaughters.” She announced with a tremor in her voice.

The faces of the people in the room lit up. “What will they be?” One of the obos, dressed in red and white, asked.

“An augur…”

“Augurs like their grandmother. Duraya smiles on her.” Another obo remarked.

The kneeling woman looked almost too scared to speak. She cast a pleading glance at Omoruyi and shook her head. Omoruyi’s eyes turned cold. He looked menacingly at the woman, a dark gaze which seemed to promise dire retribution if she didn’t speak. The woman’s shoulders shook as she turned back to face the rulers standing in front of her. “Only one of them is an augur menovie. The other is unmarked.”

The occupants of the room seemed to be appalled by the words. Omoruyi watched their reactions and smiled. He wiped the smile away as soon as the shocked rulers turned back to face him.

“Impossible!” An uhonmon, dressed in snow-white velvet, exclaimed. “Absolutely impossible. They are identical twins, the God-born herself has seen it. Never in the history of the marked has there been identical twins that are not identically marked. Never.”

“The God-born has seen the children. Surely, she’s seen the marks. This woman’s augury is nothing compared to the God-born.” Another uhonmon stated.

“Maybe she’s seen the marks, maybe she hasn’t. My mother would tell you herself that the sight is never perfect. It depends on the seer. Maybe she doesn’t want to see it. Maybe she doesn’t want to say what she’s seen. Maybe she doesn’t want you, honorable rulers, to have enough time to decide on an appropriate response to this problem. My mother’s love for my brother’s wife has clouded her vision. It is up to you, honorable rulers, to secure our ancestry.”

The rulers spoke in hushed tones amongst themselves. As they spoke Odion watched Omoruyi wondering what his angle was.

“It’s an abomination!” an obo cried out.

Omoruyi’s lips twitched.

“We already have a response in place for this.” An uhonmon stated. “We keep the child who satisfies the oath in the Enikaro and the child who doesn’t is cast out to the ancestry.”

Murmurs and nods of assent followed the words.

The obo who’d smiled at Omoruyi earlier spoke up. “In fulfillment of the oath of our ancestors, we have never had children borne to the Enikaro outside the marks promised. The only exception was when the sage mark was created. Every ancestry played its role in releasing that mark to the world. Other than that, Duraya has not violated the oath he swore to our ancestors. We’ve kept our bloodline pure and he has given us warlocks and varmints. This unmarked child is an abomination.”
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 2:08am On Aug 10, 2018
“Duraya would not break her oath unless we offended her.” Said a male obo.

“The offending parties must make reparation!” An uhonmon stated.

The cries of assent were much louder now.

“What do we do?”

“This is a decision for the clan of rulers.”

“But the God-born is obviously biased. If she wasn’t, she would have brought this to us herself.”

“Regardless, she is uhonmon the first. Her vote overrules us all. There is no point discussing what to do without her consent.”

“Girl.” The oldest uhonmon called to the still kneeling woman. “Go and find Efua. Tell her to meet us in the Eguae, the throne room. The God-born told me she would wait out the delivery there, with her grandsons.”

“Yes menoba.” The woman bowed and stood from her knees. There were tears running down her cheeks as she ran out of the room. Omoruyi scoffed at her.

“Let us go.” The old man said. He led the way towards the other door in the room. The young woman who’d smiled at Omoruyi waited till he walked up to her.

“It’s in motion now.” She whispered to him. “Do you really hate your brother this much?”

Omoruyi frowned at her. He stopped in front of the door. “I’m doing this because I love him. His wife is a plague. I told him not to marry her, now Duraya is punishing us all.”

The woman smiled. “I know you Uyi. I know you well enough to know you don’t believe that.”

Omoruyi turned away from her and walked out the door. The woman walked out behind him and Odion followed behind them. As soon as she walked out the door, she was taken to another room. Odion gasped. She turned around and found concrete wall behind her, a sign that she’d been teleported from the last room to this one.

It was a large circular room with golden beams and mosaics on the floor and walls. Odion could just make out the profile of a young boy running along the front of the room. As she walked closer towards him, she saw an older woman seated on the floor. It wasn’t till she got closer that she could make out her grandmother, the God-born’s, profile. She had a baby in her arms. From the look of him, Odion would guess he was three, maybe four years old. The younger boy stopped running around the room and ran towards the God-born. He stood in front of her and folded his hands across his chest. His feet were planted on the floor, about a shoulder’s width apart, and he stared with adorable focus at the double doors leading into the room.

Tears ran down Odion’s face as she studied the little boy, dressed in his little red velvet suit. He looked like a miniature version of their father. She ran to him and fell to her knees in front of him. She wanted to hug him, wanted to pull her brother into her arms, even though she knew she couldn’t. She was only a watcher. Still, the yearning was so much it almost undid her. Then she turned her attention to the younger boy standing in the God-born’s embrace. Odion wiped furiously at the tears streaming down her face.

The doors opened and Efua walked in. The other rulers followed behind her with Omoruyi bringing up the rear. The God-born rose to her feet, carrying the child with her. She put her hand on the older boy’s shoulder and rubbed it comfortingly. Odion beamed with pride at her brother. He’d moved before the rulers had walked in, moved to protect his grandmother as if he’d heard them coming. And he looked like he was only six. He couldn’t be more than seven, she thought.

The smile on the God-born’s face went away as soon as the other rulers got close enough for her to see. She bent to sit the baby down. “Play with your brother Eromosele.” She said, moving him to the side. Eromosele, the older boy, shook his head. He pushed back, struggling to get back in front of her, to defend her as though he could sense a danger she couldn’t. The God-born bent to her knees by him. She whispered something into his ears and pulled back. Eromosele nodded. But he frowned as he walked over to his brother and sat by him.

“What is it?” The God-born demanded. Ignoring the bowing obos.

“Have you seen your granddaughters’ marks?” asked the old uhonmon.

The God-born shook her head. “No.”

“One of them is unmarked.”

The God-born’s head jerked from left to right more sharply in refusal. “I would have seen it.” She said. “It’s not true.”

“If it is, it is a sign that Duraya is not pleased with that family. They cannot be part of the ancestry.” Another uhonmon stated.

The God-born turned to her grandsons playing on the floor. “As long as they have Ehizokhae blood flowing through their veins, they are a part of the ancestry. I swear, it will not go well for anyone who says otherwise.”

The old man spoke. “We understand why you would feel that way, but as a clan, we have decided that your son and his family are an abomination against Duraya. We will not let them destroy our ancestry. We have the blessing of Iwebo.”

All eyes turned to Efua then. “You sanctioned this?” the God-born asked, staring at the teenage girl.

“I respect you menoba, but an unmarked child born to the Enikaro cannot have any good meaning for our ancestry.”

The God-born turned cold eyes on the people standing before her. “While the blood of the twins runs through my veins I will not allow you to deny my first-born child his birthright. I am uhonmon the first. My son and his children are descendants of the Enikaro.”

“Then you will be standing against us and against the will of Duraya. You may be uhonmon the first, but we are all servants of Duraya. Iwebo, the high priest of Duraya, has made known her desire. Who are you to stand in the way?” Asked the old man.

“I am an Ehizokhae. Who are you?” the God-born replied.

Omoruyi stepped up, revealing himself for the first time to his mother. He bowed to her, bending till his hand touched the floor and then stood up. “Perhaps there’s another way.” He said cajolingly. “We can all agree that my brother’s sons show every indication of being propitious, with the older being an alpha with senses much keener than his age and the younger a commune. And they have three years between, a most auspicious age gap. I don’t think that these boys did anything to offend Duraya. I think the crime is with the girls. If Duraya is displeased by the girls, then maybe it’s because Duraya is keeping her oath and watching over us. That leads me to only one possible conclusion. How can two boys born of the same mother and father be blessed while the two girls who come after are cursed? Something must have happened, something different.”

“Perhaps she’s been unfaithful.” The woman obo who seemed to be friends with Omoruyi called out.

“And if she’s been unfaithful, then Duraya would have every right to be offended. My brother is not to blame, and his sons are not to blame. The woman is. There is only one punishment for infidelity to a descendant of the Enikaro. The woman must die. Her lover must die. Her cursed children must die.”

The God-born turned sharply to face Omoruyi as the other rulers nodded in agreement.

“Even now Ejehmen risks his life to bring peace to Accra. He is a true son of the Enikaro. If his wife has been unfaithful she must pay.” Efua announced. “Does this decision please you menoba?” Efua asked the God-born.

The God-born turned around, casting her gaze back to her grandsons playing on the floor. Omoruyi walked closer to her. He spoke underneath his breath. “Please mother, if you fight them on this, you’ll tear the clan apart. What other reason could there be for Itohan to have an unmarked child in an identical twin set? When has Duraya ever broken her promise to an ancestry?”

The God-born watched the boys play as seconds rolled into minutes. She watched the way the younger one laughed and the older one made silly faces to keep him laughing. She watched the way the older boy occasionally turned as if he understood what was happening. Then she turned back to the clan and she nodded. “If Itohan has been unfaithful to my son, she must pay.”

Just at that moment, right after the God-born conceded, the double doors leading into the room burst open. A man in leather ran into the room and dropped to his knees. “She’s delivered the babies menoba, you have granddaughters!” he screamed out the words with pride.

Eromosele jumped to his feet and pulled his younger brother with him. “Sisters!” he yelled, running towards the door.

“Wait!” the God-born shouted and ran after them. The clan of rulers followed behind. Odion went with them. As soon as she walked out of the door, she was taken into a bedroom. Her mother lay on the bed. Her hair was ruffled, and her face looked tired, but she smiled as she held two baby girls in her arms. There were a number of women gathered in the room around them. They all wore leather. One of them tried to take the babies away, but Itohan wouldn’t let go.

The door to the room opened and Eromosele ran in. Itohan sat up and smiled at them. “Eromosele, Idemudia, come and meet your sisters.” She said, stretching out her arms with the babies towards the boys. Before either of them could reach her, two ancestry guards ran into the room and picked the boys up. Eromosele screamed, twisting and turning. When the man wouldn’t let go, he bit the guards arm. The guard let go and Eromosele fell to the floor. He ran over to his mother and sisters and sat on the bed next to them.

He ran his fingers over the face of the twin closest to him and frowned. Then he asked. “Why are they wet?”

Itohan laughed. “You were wet too when you were just born.”

Eromosele’s little eyes were filled with awe as he looked at them. “My sisters.” He said. Then he tried to carry one of the twins. The God-born nodded and the guard picked him up and carried him with a hand around his belly. Eromosele fought against the hold, but this time he didn’t win. When he noticed he wasn’t getting loose he screamed at the top of his voice. That made the babies cry.

“Take the boys out.” The God-born ordered.

The guards bowed and walked away, leaving the room.

“Take the babies.” The old uhomnon ordered. Two more guards marched into the room. They headed straight for Itohan, who had become wary enough to fight them. The guards ripped the crying babies from her hands. Itohan rose to her feet. It was obvious from the way she moved that she was struggling, that she was too weak to stand, but somehow she managed to. She stretched out her hands towards the guards who had her babies. Both guards’ eyes turned white. One of the babies stopped crying and her eyes turned white. The other baby just cried louder.

“This one is an augur. That one is unmarked.” One of the guards announced.

Itohan fell to her knees and crawled over to the God-born. She bowed till her head was resting against the God-born’s feet and she wept. “Please don’t take my babies away.” She begged.

The God-born’s lips moved. She didn’t say anything, but it was obvious from the look on her face that she was fighting not to reveal any emotions.

It was Efua who spoke. “Your unmarked child is unnatural, your twins are an abomination, an insult against Duraya. They are not descendants of the Enikaro. You have been unfaithful to your husband and you will pay with your life.”

Itohan shook her head. She looked up at the God-born. “I have never been with another man. I swear it on my life. Please don’t harm my children.”

“Your sons will be fine. Your daughters though, they are an insult to the Enikaro.” Omoruyi stated.

Itohan glared at Omoruyi. “You’ve always hated me. Don’t let your hatred for me cloud the love you could feel for your nieces. I swear they are of your blood. Please. Do what you want with me, but let my children live.”

The old uhonmon gestured to a woman standing at the back of the room. “Kill her.” He ordered. The woman bowed. Her eyes turned red as she walked towards Itohan.

“Get out of my way!” A voice yelled from the hallway behind them. Stunned rulers turned to face an irate Ejehmen, who pushed indiscriminately through them. He launched himself at the commune who’d been chosen to execute his wife. The woman fell. Ejehmen knelt by Itohan and pulled her into his arms as she wept.

“How dare you interfere with a ruling of the clan?” the old man demanded.

“What crime is she being tried for?”

“Infidelity.” Efua replied.

Ejehmen held tighter to Itohan. “It’s not true.” He swore.

“The identical twins she bore are not identically marked. One is an augur the other is unmarked.”

“I don’t care! It’s not true.” He yelled.

“The judgement has been passed.”

Ejehmen turned to his mother. “It’s not true.” He said. “I swear it. Could you kill an innocent woman?”

The God-born turned to the clan. “Maybe we should wait until we get proof.”

“Duraya has given us all the proof we need.” An obo stated stubbornly.

The God-born turned to Efua. “Ask the elements.” She pleaded. “The elements see everything and they never forget. Ask them.”

Efua shook her head. “The honor of speaking to the elements is not one I currently possess. I can’t force them to talk to me when they never have before. They speak in their own time.”

“Justice must be done.” Ejehmen stated, speaking in a low voice. “When the elements tell you that she’s never been unfaithful, I will take the blame for my unmarked child. I will leave the ancestry and I will rescind any claim to the Enikaro. I will take my family out through the tunnel of the twins and we will live outside this sacred space dedicated to the ancestry. I swear it.”

“And if she has been unfaithful?” Efua asked.

“There is only one punishment for infidelity to a descendant of the Enikaro. I swear to uphold it.”

Efua nodded. “I will try.” She rose her hand closer towards her face and looked into the ring on her finger. As soon as she did, her eyes became blue. Minutes ticked away as everyone in the room remained silent, watching Efua. Then she came out of it and blinked. “You swore an oath to me Ejehmen Ehizokhae and you are bound by it.”

“Yes menovie.” He nodded, clinging even tighter to his wife.

“She has not been unfaithful.” Efua pronounced. “You and your family must leave through the tunnel of the twins and reside in the community, outside this sacred space dedicated to the ancestry.”

Odion felt a force pulling her back, away from the group. Away from her mother who wept into her father’s robe. Away from her grandmother who clung to the bedpost as if it was the only thing keeping her standing. Away from her uncle who had set this whole thing in motion. She let it pull her out.

Odion stood on a patch of grass in an area which had become familiar to her from her earlier visions. She turned to her left and smiled at the tree. She’d been sitting underneath that tree when she saw Efua for the first time.

“What have you done?”

Odion turned back around at the sound of the voice. Standing in front of her were the God-born and her father.

“What kind of man would I be if I abandoned my wife and my daughters?”

“Sometimes I can’t tell if you’re foolish, or if your brand of wisdom just makes it seem so.”

Ejehmen laughed. “Don’t worry about me mother. It’s not like they kicked us out of the community. There’s always good work for a beta.”

“You’re my son. You weren’t born to work. You were born to the Enikaro and you gave that up for a woman.”

Ejehmen smiled sadly. “You would have done the same thing.”

The God-born shook her head. “We are Ehizokhae’s our first and last duty is to the Enikaro. You and your children were the best chance we had at keeping our bloodline in the Enikaro. Your brother will never marry.”

“Have you seen it?”

The God-born sighed. “I don’t have to see it to know. I would have let them die if it meant that you and your sons could remain in the Enikaro. I don’t know where you came from.” She shook her head. “And I don’t know if I can forgive you for what you just did to our bloodline.”

Ejehmen shrugged. “I know you will. It may take some time, but you will. Till then, I’ll give my wife the life she always wanted. We can’t go by Ehizokhae now, so we’ll take her last name. And I’ll take care of the children so that she can go back to school. She always wanted that.”

The God-born’s jaw clenched as she stared at her son. “You’re the best person I know, and right at this moment I hate you for it.” She turned around then, and walked away, leaving Ejehmen standing alone.

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 10:50am On Aug 10, 2018
By God ObehiD, if I don't say this I might collapse. You lived this life, don't even try to deny it. How can you script this just by imagination?
You must be writing about your bloodline, a story you relate with. Please say that I am correct.

By Jove, I am awed by this literary prowess. The composition of words, conversations and actions are perfecto. Apart from Larrysun, Divepen1, no other has written a literary work that astounds like yours. I need you to please relieve me of this urge to say that you have stolen a big part of my heart. Oh My! I've said it.

Are you single or married? I ask cuz I'm loving u rai now grin

2 Likes

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by GeoSilYe(f): 12:11pm On Aug 10, 2018
What a wawu! shocked
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Richykemzy: 1:01pm On Aug 11, 2018
Wowwwwwwww am loving this!!!!�����
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 8:55pm On Aug 12, 2018
@GeoSilYe and Richykemzy thanks!!! I'm soo glad about the response particularly to the parts about the past. I was a bit worried that like the last book, the scenes of the past in this one might not be easy to follow.

@Fazemood hahahahaha...rofl...how did you know? Ejehmen was like my great grandfather's brother's sister's husband's great granduncle's wife's nephew's niece's father's friend. So we grew up on stories of him! LOL. Nah, this is all my imagination, and I'm so very flattered that you enjoyed it this much grin. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 9:33pm On Aug 12, 2018
obehiD:

@Fazemood hahahahaha...rofl...how did you know? Ejehmen was like my great grandfather's brother's sister's husband's great granduncle's wife's nephew's niece's father's friend. So we grew up on stories of him! LOL. Nah, this is all my imagination, and I'm so very flattered that you enjoyed it this much grin. Thank you.

Thanks 4 Confusing me sad

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 2:26am On Aug 13, 2018
Fazemood:

Thanks 4 Confusing me sad

Yay! My evil plan worked ha-ha-ha cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 6:26am On Aug 17, 2018
Chapter Nine
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
St. Luke’s, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nosa stood in front of the principal’s door and fought against the urge to pace. A few days had gone by since Mr. Danladi was reported missing. A general announcement had been made to the students, but none of them had been called aside for questioning, none until him, Nosa thought with a grimace. He wondered what he’d done to get that particular honor. Nosa studied the lines on the wooden door, counting each dent. He distracted himself with a particularly curiously shaped one close to the door knob. He moved closer and ran his finger along the indentation as he wondered what had made it. That was when the door opened.

Nosa jumped back.

Ms. Flowers beckoned him into the room with a kind smile on her face. As Nosa walked in, he prepared himself for an inquest. He could still remember how it felt to be overpowered by a community guard. He had to breathe, to calm his heart, if not the pounding against his ribcage would give him away before he said a single word. Nosa exhaled. He took one last long deep breath, before raising his head.

He’d been prepared to see men and women in the military style uniforms of the wolf who’d caught him in that dreadful village in Ugbekun or in long robes like the one Oare had worn.

That wasn’t what he saw.

What he did see was just as jarring, more so, he thought, because his expectations had seemed in the realm of possibilities. This didn’t quite fit.

Standing in front of Nosa was a young teenage boy about fifteen years old, dressed in the pink trousers and checkered shirt of an SS1 St. Luke’s student. To Nosa, the uniform looked ridiculous on the white-skinned boy with hazel eyes and wavy black hair. His eyes ran over the boy, sizing him up. Nosa’s lips twitched when his eyes met his subject’s and he realized he’d been studied in the same way.

Nosa turned his disbelieving gaze to Ms. Flowers just in time to hear her say. “Nosagie this is Ricardo. He is a new student at St. Luke’s. His father was recently named the American ambassador to Nigeria. This is Ricardo’s first time in Nigeria, and his first time in a boarding school. I would like you to show him around and make him feel welcome.”

“Why would an American ambassador send his child here?” asked Nosa in response. He was so surprised by the presence of an American in his school that he asked the question without thinking.

Ricardo scoffed and Ms. Flowers gasped in outrage. A pair of narrowed eyes turned to Nosa. “And why wouldn’t his parents send him here? St. Luke’s is just as good as any other school in this country.” Ms. Flowers stated.

If Nosa disagreed, he kept it to himself. “Yes ma.” He replied.

Ms. Flowers accepted the apology she heard in his voice. “His class is SS1B. Can you take him there?”

“Yes ma.” Nosa nodded to her and then inclined his head to the oyibo boy who couldn’t possibly know what he was signing up for. “Let’s go.”

The boy bent to pick up a black backpack sitting on the chair beside him. He flung the bag carelessly onto his right shoulder and followed Nosa out of the office.

Nosa led the way out of the administrative building. They walked down a carpeted walkway with pictures hanging from the walls which showed only the most illustrious of the St. Luke’s alumni. The pictures of the less famous alumni decorated the walls of the first floor. It took a herculean effort not to let his feelings show when he walked by the office which had once belonged to Mr. Danladi. As he thought of the man, his mind filled with images of what had been left of him before Aishat turned him to ashes. He hadn’t been Nosa’s favorite person that night, not the day after he’d flogged all the prefects in the school. But the man didn’t deserve to die, not like that.

“Are the international schools too boring for you?” Nosa forced out the question in his desperation to get Mr. Danladi out of his mind.

Ricardo shrugged, not that Nosa could see it with his back to him. “My parents said I had to come here. Guess I’m something of a disciplinary case.”

Nosa chuckled. At that point they’d reached the door leading to the staircase down and out of the building. He opened the door and they walked through. They took the stairs two at a time and were on their way out of the building in no time. Nosa stopped to let Ricardo get his first look at the school block from this angle. That was when he responded to Ricardo’s statement. “If I were you I’d learn discipline quickly and leave. St. Luke’s isn’t the school for you.”

Ricardo took his time to look at the buildings in front of him. From where they stood, he could hear the lectures going on in the classrooms around him. He’d never seen a school quite like this. For one, it was a lot more outdoorsy than he was used to. Where he came from, all the classes where done inside the building. They only got to go outside during lunch. He liked this layout better. “How do you know what the school for me is?” Ricardo replied belligerently.

“You can’t talk to me like that.” Nosa stated flatly.

“Like what? Like you’re a dumbass, because, no offence, but you really seem like you are. Now are you going to take me to the class or do I have to find it myself?” Ricardo waited a beat for Nosa’s response.

Nosa was too baffled to move. He just stood there, staring with disbelief at Ricardo.

Ricardo scoffed. “You know what freak, I’ll find the class myself. Thanks for nothing.” He shook his head and began moving towards the right in the direction of the junior classrooms.

It took Nosa a full minute to come to terms with the fact that he’d just been insulted by an SS1 boy and there wasn’t a thing he could do about it. He felt a quick wave of fury rise in him. It was so strong and overwhelming that if he wasn’t wearing Osezele’s heart pendant, he worried he might have ripped the foolish boy’s head right off his shoulder. As it was, he had on the necklace so he could fight the rage. “You’re going the wrong way!” he yelled as soon as he recovered.

Ricardo stopped. He turned around and headed in the other direction. Nosa waited for Ricardo to walk passed him before following behind. On an urge he closed his eyes and went into his marks. He was going on an impulse, just off a theory he had. He’d noticed that since the night Mr. Danladi died, every time a werewolf in his school did something even the slightest bit irritating, his first instinct was to kill him. Whenever he was around the wolves it had become too easy to slip into a murderous rage. That was why he went into his combined marks and took a big whiff. He smelled dog, a dog on fire.

Nosa smiled.

Not for the first time since he’d discovered a new marked in St. Luke’s he found himself wishing that like the other augurs in his school he could use his sight to tell a person’s mark. He’d only been able to do it once and only in a vision when he’d been bonded with the other augurs. His sight just wasn’t developed enough yet, at times he wondered if it would ever be. But his smell was good, good enough to know that the white boy in front of him was a werewolf.

Nosa opened his eyes in time to see Ricardo staring at him as if he thought he was crazy. Nosa grinned. “I was wrong.” He said, walking up to Ricardo. “St. Luke’s is exactly where you belong.” Nosa didn’t bother to mention all the reasons why. But he couldn’t wait till the required week of grace was over. He’d love to teach this particular student discipline. Luckily for him, the boy was a wolf, so he’d heal. As they walked silently together up the top floor of the senior block, Nosa wondered how much Ricardo knew about himself. Had his mark come out already? His parents had to know. Why else would they send him here?

As soon as they got to the SS1B classroom, Nosa stood aside and gestured for Ricardo to walk in. He walked in after him. The moment Ricardo became visible from the side of the class, all the attention had moved from the math teacher’s lesson to the white boy wearing the St. Luke’s school uniform. Now the entire class had turned to stare at him with fascination.

Ricardo felt like an exotic animal at a zoo, and he hated it. So, he scanned the classroom for a victim and he found one seating in the front of the row across the class from him. He let his smile turn lazy in that way he’d toiled for years to perfect. “What, have you never seen such a handsome face before?” he teased.

Tolani scoffed. “I’ve seen better.” She replied, and the class laughed.

Nosa cleared his throat. “I’m sorry to interrupt sir. Ms. Flowers asked me to drop him off in his class.”

The math teacher snapped at Nosa. “You’ve dropped him off, now you can leave.”

Nosa nodded and walked out of the class. He didn’t get far though. As he began his walk down the concrete slab, away from the classroom, he turned his face. He lied to himself, said he hadn’t been searching her out, but he knew he had. He turned his face right to where he knew she’d be sitting looking at him, and she was. He smiled.

“You!” the math teacher snapped at Ricardo, who still stood in the back of the class, effortlessly taking the attention of the entire classroom away from the teacher. For most of the students, it wasn’t that they’d never seen a white boy before, it was that they’d never seen one in St. Luke’s. “Sit down!” the math teacher ordered impatiently.

As he looked around the room, a number of girls called out to him, waving their hands as they shoved against their seatmates so that he could sit next to them. Ricardo walked by one such seat which had Oluchi, Fatima and Binta seated in it, all three of the girls were too proud to wave at him the way others did, but all three squeezed to the side to make space for him in the off chance one of them was able to win the discreet prize of catching his eyes with theirs. Ricardo ignored them all as he made his way to the only bench he had any interest in. Wasn’t it just fate that it turned out to be the only one with only two people on it?

Ricardo stopped by the bench that Tolani and Osezele shared. “You girls are smoking.” He whistled. “I would love to get between the both of you.”

Tolani rolled her eyes. “In your dreams.”

Ricardo smiled as he looked her straight in the eyes and replied, “Then it’s going to be a looong night.” He teased, then bit his bottom lip wondering if she would get his meaning.

Of course, Tolani did. “Eww, perv.”

“My friend, will you sit down!” the math teacher snapped.

“It would be my pleasure.” Ricardo winked at Tolani and sat down next to her. Tolani just shook her head. “Ricardo.” He stretched out his hand to her. “My friends call me Ricky.”

Tolani accepted the handshake. “Tolani.” She said in response.

Ricardo stretched out his hand to Osezele, then pulled it back when he noticed that she didn’t seem to be remotely aware of his presence in that seat. Her attention was fixed on something else. Ricardo followed the direction of Osezele’s eyes, smirked and then turned back to Tolani. “Looks like your friend is taken. Guess I’ll have to focus all my attention on you.”

Tolani followed the direction of Osezele’s gaze and shook her head when she saw Nosa standing by the window. Neither of them seemed to be aware of the fact that the entire class was starting to become aware of the nauseatingly long look they shared. Tolani turned to Binta and smiled when she saw that Binta, like everyone else in the class, watched them. Of course, Binta was technically dating Nosa, but everyone in the entire school knew that if he could, he’d be with Osezele and it gave Tolani immeasurable pleasure to watch Binta frown. She couldn’t believe she’d ever been dumb enough to walk up to the celebrity Binta Gambari and gush over her. Of course, Binta had humbled her in a way she would never forget. It felt like justice to see Binta being force fed her own piece of humble pie.

“Nosagie!” The math teacher snapped.

Nosa physically shook his head, as if it took more than mental prowess to break the look they’d shared. He rose his hand in greeting. She waved back. Somehow, he found the strength to walk away.

The math teacher continued his lesson, and teacher after teacher, the rest of the classes passed in a blur. During break the SS1B classroom was so full, Tolani laughingly remarked to Ricardo that the entire school had come to see the oyibo boy in St. Luke’s. He’d asked her what the word meant, she’d explained that it simply referred to a white person, such as himself, and he’d laughed.

He kept flirting outrageously with her throughout the day. It didn’t take Tolani long to pick up the oddity in it. He said all the right words and did all the right things that went along with the ritual, but there was something off about it. To her, it came across as a performance he felt compelled to put on. That was actually what drew Tolani to him, the façade of the handsome boy obsessed with a beautiful girl. He played his part, she played hers and by the time lunch was over they were better friends than either of them would have thought possible. Tolani became his navigation and he paid her every compliment imaginable as thanks.

On occasion, during the period of preparing for the inter house sports competition, afternoon preps were turned into auxiliary sporting times so that the students could practice. This was one of those days. The blue house and red house students occupied the school field as they played a friendly football game. While on the main slab, which connected the school gates to the administrative building, green house students marched ferociously to the tune of the drums and the orders of an overly boisterous Oke.

Osezele stood, one of two on the front lines leading the march. She’d been chosen along with an SS2 student of about the same height, to carry the house banners. So now she marched on a single spot, with her left hand clamping an invisible wooden post and her right hand swinging back and forth as Oke yelled, “Left. Right.” And the students responded with a sharp. “Lefturege.” Even as she roared out the word she wondered where it came from. No one ever knew how things like that were created.

“Forward march!” Oke ordered.

“One. Two.” The students yelled in response, stamping their feet on the ground. Then they proceeded to march forward.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 6:27am On Aug 17, 2018
“Choir master!” Oke began a chant.

Osezele laughed thinking again of things that became staple in St. Luke’s even without anyone knowing when or how it started. She sang with the rest of them. “With your big belle, if you marry yeye woman you go get belle.” And on they repeated the same song as they marched sharply, a single formidable unit, with arms and legs swinging in unison. They were so good in fact that the drummers, ran with their drums to beat it specifically for their house, ignoring the other houses marching on the slab. At least that was the excuse Nosa gave as he forced his fellow drummers, and the dancing crowd they drew with them, towards green house and the princess in the front line.

By the time the drummers got close the song had changed from various other hilarious sport songs of unnamed origins, to the green house chant. “Green house marchers, marching through the storm, if you block our path, we will march you on. Eh! Green house marchers, marching through the storm, if you block our path, we will march you on. Eh! Green. House. Life. Aye! Green. House. Life. Aye! Green. House. Life. Aye! Aye!! Aye!!!” By the time they sang this, everyone who wasn’t watching the football or basketball matches, was watching them. It was the first time that a green house marching team had been able to pull it off. Osezele knew how much work it had taken, and how much pain, she added grimacing at the thought of the punishments when they got it wrong. But they’d all mastered it and now when they sang the song as they marched, they all rose their right fists sharply in the air punctuating the cries of “Eh!” and “Aye!” and continued marching without breaking their stride. It was a study in arm-leg coordination and Osezele had told Tolani as much. She could still remember that conversation. Tolani had laughingly said it wasn’t that hard. Of course, Osezele had made her try it. After over a dozen failed attempts of raising her hand and bringing it back down in time to swing her arms in tune to her marching feet, Tolani had willingly accepted that it wasn’t as easy as they made it look.

Osezele was so preoccupied with her thoughts that by the time she came back to reality, she jumped in shock when she saw Nosa and his band of drummers, drumming in front of them. As soon as Nosa had her attention, he winked and tossed his drumstick in the air, caught it and continued drumming without breaking the tune. The students around him cheered as he tried over and over to outdo his last daring drumming feat all in order to show off for her. Osezele was so enraptured by Nosa’s skill and the way he looked showing off that she abandoned her marching all together, breaking the line. When Oke called, “All halt!” she knew she was going to pay for it, but she didn’t care, not when Nosa was looking at her like she was the only person in the world.

In the other side of the school, another girl stared with infatuation as she watched a boy she liked showing off. Elliot took it a little too far when he realized he had her attention. Of course, Danny stole the ball from him and everyone laughed. He turned to see what Tolani thought, but she was no longer alone. She was with the white boy. Again. Elliot sighed and got his head back into the game. He ran after Danny. He got a chance to tackle him, but Danny was in rare form as he always was around this time. Danny smirked at him. He dodged one of Elliot’s team’s defenders, by swerving at the last possible moment, and he made a mockery of Elliot by kicking the ball between his spread feet. By the time Elliot turned around, Danny was making an impossible shot and of course the ball curved into the goal post. It was so close to the top right corner of the goal post that the keeper couldn’t possibly have stopped it. Just a little higher and it would have gone out. Danny was good, too good, and he knew it. Elliot groaned when the keeper shot the ball over to him and he was back in the position of having to keep the ball with Danny tackling him.

“Who’s the one in blue?” Ricardo whispered the question into Tolani’s ears.

“Danny.” She replied. “He’s really good.” She stated evenly.

“So, it’s not Danny you’re eye bleeping.” Ricardo teased.

Tolani glared at him. “You’re just foul.”

“It’s the one in red you want.” He stated, ignoring her comment. “That’s your type huh.” He shrugged. “I can see it. What’s his name?”

“I don’t know who you’re talking about.” Tolani lied.

“We can do this the easy way or the hard way. And the hard way involves me teasing you mercilessly and going so TMI on your ass you will be begging me to stop talking. It’s a no brainer for me, I like being hard.”

Tolani groaned in mock disgust at the double-entendre implied in his words. “His name is Elliot.” She gave in, thinking that there really wasn’t much he could do with a name.

She was wrong.

“Elliot!” Ricardo screamed out at the top of his voice.

Tolani was mortified. “Stop it. What are you doing?”

Ricardo grinned unapologetically at her. “Look at you acting all girly.” He teased. “Elliot!!” He screamed the name even louder this time.

“If you don’t stop calling him right now, I will hurt you. I swear.” And she meant every single word.

“You’re cute.” He replied, laughing off her threat. “Elliot!!!”

Elliot heard his name and stopped playing. He turned his attention towards the edge of the field, where Tolani stood with the white boy, and was taken aback when the white boy gestured for him to come over. Elliot got a replacement from his house and walked over to them. Only, by the time he got there, Tolani was gone and Ricardo was laughing so hard tears came out of his eyes.

“She likes you.” Ricardo said, when he finally stopped laughing.

Elliot smiled. “I know.” He lied. He’d suspected it, but he hadn’t known for sure.

“Do you like her?” Ricardo asked.

Elliot stopped smiling. “Yes, I do.” There was a warning in his voice. He’d said yes, but his tone sounded like he was really saying ‘she’s mine, back off.’

Ricardo didn’t stop smiling. “You like her, she likes you, what the hell are you two waiting for?”

“That’s none of your business, white boy.”

“Ricky.” Ricardo was quick to correct. He sure as hell didn’t want his name to turn to ‘white boy’. He inclined his head towards the field. “Can I play?”

“Do you like Tolani?” Elliot’s eyes fixed on Ricardo’s face.

Ricardo just kept smiling. “You have nothing to worry about boss. Now can I play?”

Elliot shook his head and found himself smiling despite himself. “Are you any good?” he asked.

“I’m the best.” Ricardo replied.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Undisclosed Location, Ikeja, Lagos State, Nigeria
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Ehi sat in the spacious waiting area, he took in the expensive furnishings. The floors were white tiled, the walls painted yellow. There was a TV on a stand to the right of the door the little boy had gone into to get his father. That TV was set on a sports channel where professional teams were playing basketball. He didn’t follow the sport, so he didn’t know who played and he didn’t care. After growing up in the community and being a core player in a bolokhon team, the mainstream sports of the unmarked held little interest to him.

The door by the TV opened and the man he’d come to see walked in. Ehi took in the white agbada set and the matching cap and rose a single eyebrow. “Going somewhere?” he asked.

The man nodded. “A wedding.” He moved passed the door and closed it behind him. Then he went to sit by Ehi. “I have some good news.”

Ehi turned to face him.

The man continued. “As you know, my daughter is a student in St. Luke’s. What you may not know is that I was only recently appointed to the PTA board.”

“I’m waiting for the good news.” Ehi stated frankly.

The man scoffed. He’d known Ehi for a long time, long enough to not be offended by the man. “I need assurances Ehi. I do you a favor, and my blunder with the ancestry is forgiven. I had no way of knowing that just a few spoken words could trigger such a tragic set of events.”

Ehi eyed the man curiously. “Your debt is to the Enikaro, not to me.” There was amusement in Ehi’s voice. “Now what’s the good news?”

“You serve the Enikaro Ehi. Helping you is helping the Enikaro. The elements never forget. I would rather they look kindly on me and mine.”

Ehi was starting to lose his patience. “Your debt is to the Enikaro, not to me.” He stated again, this time more forcefully.

The man sighed. “Stubborn oaf.” He muttered. “You wanted an in to St. Luke’s and I got you one. You will be interviewing for the now vacant position of vice principal. I’ve spoken to the principal Ms. Flowers. It’s as good as yours.”

The only response the man got was a less severe frown. Very Ehi.

Ehi nodded and stood. “That’ll do.” He walked towards the door.

“Can this at least pay my debt for the other matter?” The man asked. “And buy their silence.”

Ehi shook his head. “When will you learn, you can’t buy their silence, you can only ask for it. If you’re so worried that she’ll find out you had her mark taken away, maybe you should tell her yourself.”
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 11:23am On Aug 17, 2018
I like the way you described the match pass done by the Green House. I felt attached to it cuz back in school days, I was part of the Green House and we had challenges competing with the other colours, Reds were always leading, next was Yellow, Blue and then us Green. It was a streak losing constantly until we won the main championship after long time and with a long hard practice. Since then, Green became the new Red. cheesy

Back to the story...

Who are these men talking about now? Who is this lady whose mark was taken away? Is it Odion's twin sister ?
Hmmm... I hope it is, b'cuz there is this mysteriousness surrounding the birth of Odion and her sister, the excitements and tension were too thick.

I am awed and glad that the story is updating BTW... Pls bring in more ASAP
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by tunjilomo(m): 2:13pm On Aug 17, 2018
Hmm, at least we're back to St. Luke. That white boy, get mind ooooo, we shall see what will happen to him soon.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Richykemzy: 10:09am On Aug 18, 2018
Now am gting confused but I trust u obehid,evrything would soon be clear.���
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 6:01pm On Aug 18, 2018
@Fazemood it was actually the opposite for me. I was in red house in secondary school and we were always winning. In my final year we went from inter-house sports to inter-house arts competitions and we still won that one! HAHA...so yeah, scenes like this are really fun for me to write. It's like a trip down memory lane.
As to your questions of the story...that's part of the suspense grin grin grin

@tunjilomo as in I really like Ricardo...I think it's fair to say that he will usher in some interesting twists in the story wink

@Richykemzy OH NO!!! cry When? Where? How? Please tell me so that I can remove some of the confusion.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Richykemzy: 11:27pm On Aug 19, 2018
@Richykemzy OH NO!!! cry When? Where? How? Please tell me so that I can remove some of the confusion.[/quote]

Oh dear,dont worry jawe continue wif d suspense cos I know it wud soon b clear after oda episode are been posted. Thanks anyway
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 3:40am On Aug 20, 2018
Richykemzy:

Oh dear,dont worry jawe continue wif d suspense cos I know it wud soon b clear after oda episode are been posted. Thanks anyway

Okay. But please let me know if after sometime it's still not clear. Thank you smiley
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 8:31pm On Aug 21, 2018
ObehiD whats the hold up, post nah?
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 5:11pm On Aug 22, 2018
Fazemood:
ObehiD whats the hold up, post nah?

Hahaha. I'm still working on the chapter. I should have it ready tomorrow, Friday at the latest. Thanks for the enthusiasm! cheesy
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 5:24pm On Aug 22, 2018
obehiD:

Hahaha. I'm still working on the chapter. I should have it ready tomorrow, Friday at the latest. Thanks for the enthusiasm! cheesy
You are welcome, just keep doing it well and maintain the quality this story has smiley
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 6:00am On Aug 23, 2018
Chapter Ten
St. Luke’s, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria

They sat in the back of the auditorium, concealed by the empty building behind them. Neither of them had any right to be there, especially not during evening prep. But then again, neither of them had any right to be drinking alcohol in school. If they weren’t afraid to do the latter, they didn’t waste a moment’s thought on the former.

Nosa took a swig of the amber liquid in the bottle hidden by a brown paper bag and then passed the bottle over to Elliot. Elliot eyed it warily. He sighed, took the bottle from Nosa and took a more hesitant sip. Elliot winced once the burning liquid hit the back of his throat and coughed so loudly Nosa felt compelled to help him by pounding the flat of his left hand against Elliot’s back. Elliot glared at Nosa for the help. Nosa chuckled. He picked up the other drink he’d bought during their run. This one was a creamy white liquid in a transparent bottle. Nosa took two gulps of the much sweeter palm wine and handed it over to Elliot who eagerly accepted with one hand and handed the stronger liquor back with the other. Nosa took another gulp of the burning drink.

“For some reason, I really like that white boy.” Elliot remarked.

Nosa snorted in response. He looked Elliot over before casually stating, “He’s a werewolf.”

Elliot was taken aback by that revelation. “What kind?” he asked, not even questioning the authenticity of the announcement. He knew that if a spotter said it, it had to be true.

Nosa shrugged. “I can’t wait to find out.”

Elliot shivered at the tone of Nosa’s voice. “Don’t go and kill the boy.”

Nosa smiled coldly. He took another swig of the liquid in the paper bag before replying, “He deserves it.”

Elliot turned to stare at Nosa. He tried to bore into the alpha’s head, to read his thoughts. Then he shook his head when he realized the futility of his actions and decided to change the topic. “Who do you think killed Mr. Danladi?”

“It had to be an SS3 boy.” Nosa replied.

Elliot’s eyebrows rose. “Is that wishful thinking or do you actually have proof?”

“I’ve asked all the SS2 boys and they all said they didn’t do it. That leaves the SS3 boys.”

Elliot couldn’t help laughing at that logic. “Did you consider the possibility that they could have been lying?”

Nosa turned to face Elliot. He caught Elliot’s eyes with his and he held the gaze. Seconds rolled by as Nosa kept Elliot’s gaze imprisoned in his, letting a bit of his mark out just as Emeka had taught him to do. He reached into the part of himself where his yowl was, the start of his werewolf mark. He didn’t let it come out in its entirety, not even enough for his eyes to turn golden, he just let the alpha out, the leader without the rashness of the wolf behind it.

Elliot swallowed nervously. He couldn’t look away to save his life and when he heard Nosa ask, “Did you kill Mr. Danladi?” His brain didn’t even seem to be able to function well enough to lie. “No.” he replied.

Nosa broke the gaze and pulled the alpha back in.

Elliot took a few long gulps of palm wine then asked, “What was that?”

Nosa smiled. “Something Emeka used on me.”

“Can you question everyone else in the pack like that?” Elliot asked.

Nosa sighed. If only it was that easy. “It only works because you think of me as your alpha.”

Why did natural born alphas get all the cool tricks? Elliot wondered. They got full control and they got this stare thing too? Even Silver had a yowl that only the pack could hear. What did betas have? Elliot’s thoughts were interrupted by the sound of Nosa swearing under his breath. Elliot turned to look at Nosa. He saw that Nosa’s focus had shifted to the left of where they sat, so he followed his gaze. He saw what Nosa saw and swore underneath his breath too.

They both jumped to their feet, and inched closer together in preparation for the coming threat. Four SS3 boys walked towards them, all members of the pack. Beedie led the procession, Lanky and the others followed behind him.

“What do you think he wants?” Elliot asked. He couldn’t hide the tremor in his voice.

Nosa could hear the beating of their hearts as they came closer, a steady rhythm that seemed to pound with determination. “Nothing good.” Nosa replied, moving forward so that he stood in front of Elliot to protect him. The bond between alpha and beta went both ways.

Beedie snickered when he got to where they stood. He picked up the discarded bottle hidden by the brown paper bag and lifted it to his nose. He took a whiff of the liquor in the bottle and passed it back to Lanky. “Who gave you permission to buy that?” Beedie demanded.

Nosa’s jaw clenched. “We buy things all the time when we go on runs.”

Beedie shook his head slowly from left to right, tsking as he did. “You buy things with the alpha’s permission. You never used to buy anything without asking Emeka first.”

Nosa sneered at Beedie as their eyes met. “You’re not Emeka.”

Three words. They were only three words, but they were words that drummed through Beedie’s mind every day. Not Emeka. Not as good as Emeka. Not as deserving as Emeka. Emeka held the pack together. But that was because when Emeka was in charge nobody questioned him, they bowed to him, respected him. Only Emeka. Not him! Beedie thought with outrage. He’d bowed to Emeka when Emeka was in SS3 and he was pack beta. He’d done his due and waited his turn. Why couldn’t Nosa do the same thing? He shrugged off the voice in his head reminding him of the time he’d tried to defy Emeka. He’d learned. An awful smile spread along his face when he came to the conclusion that it was time Nosa learnt too.

Nosa hadn’t been expecting it. He was so unprepared for the blow that when Beedie’s fist made contact with the side of his face, the force of it knocked him down. He jumped back up of course, but when he did he was in an all-consuming rage. This time he welcomed the anger.

“Nosa.” Elliot called out. There was worry in that voice. Worry and fear. That combined with the ruby red pendant resting against his chest chased Nosa’s anger away.

Nosa wiped at the blood dripping down his lip.

Nosa.” One of the other SS3 boys teased, mimicking Elliot’s word but doing so in a high pitch tone meant to resemble a girl’s. “You sound like a baby crying out for his mummy.” The boy spat out in disgust.

The rage seemed to be spreading, because now it had consumed Elliot. He dove for the SS3 boy who’d teased him, knocking the boy onto his back. The only thought on Elliot’s mind was wiping that smile off the boy’s face. He got two solid punches in before he felt himself being lifted off the SS3 boy and flung in the air. He landed in front of Beedie.

Beedie bent and wrapped his left hand around Elliot’s throat. Elliot tried to fight him off, but Beedie was stronger. Elliot got his nose smashed in for his efforts.

The rage Nosa felt came back with vengeance. He launched at Beedie, but all three of the SS3 betas got in his way. As Nosa dodged a blow from one and sent the other flying in the air, he welcomed the bloodlust. He wanted to kill them, he wanted to rip their heads off their bodies and then do the same thing to Beedie for daring to threaten Elliot, for insulting him. He let his memories fuel his anger. And he put up a good fight, but he had Osezele’s ruby red pendant across his chest and its calming powers came back to bite him in the ass. He wasn’t at full strength. With blinding rage, the enormous desire to kill that he felt, tearing through the betas should have been easy. But he was weaker with that heart-shaped gem resting close to his heart, and for some reason, together, the betas were stronger than they were when they fought alone. They restrained Nosa. The three of them forced him to lie on the floor and they held him down as he was forced to watch what Beedie did to his beta.

Once Beedie had Nosa’s full attention. He let go off Elliot’s throat and gestured for the beta to stand. He spread out his arms and taunted for the fight he knew the SS2 boy was thirsty for. Come get me, Beedie teased with his stance. And like a fool, the SS2 boy ran into his own demise.

Beedie made quick work out of him. Elliot was lying on the floor bloody and broken in no time. Nosa fought against his captivity and Beedie laughed. He turned his attention to Nosa and jeered. “Bow to me. Call me your alpha. Beg me to forgive you, and maybe I will.”

Nosa’s eyes flared with hatred. He spat on the floor in front of where he lay. The SS3 boys holding him down laughed, but Beedie didn’t share their sense of humor. He stood there, his eyes darting between the defiant SS2 boys and all he wanted to do was kill. “BOW TO ME! CALL ME YOUR ALPHA! BEG ME TO FORGIVE YOU!” Beedie yelled the words out with so much rage and ferocity, even his classmates stopped laughing and bowed their heads. Nosa, however, remained defiant.

Beedie growled. It was a low guttural sound laden with hatred and fury. There was a part of himself that told him to stop, the better angels in his mind pulling him back from an abyss he could never return from. Those angels whispered of other things, other horrors, but he could not stop, he could not listen, because the demons were louder. They cried out for blood, and he was more than willing to feed them.

Beedie’s eyes turned gold as he did what even Nosa hadn’t thought him capable of: he went into his mark, but with control, the full control of a natural born alpha. Nosa had underestimated him, he’d judged Beedie based off himself and so hadn’t thought Beedie capable of teaching himself full control. He had underestimated Beedie’s resolve, his anger, his indignation. And so he stared with horror as the claws in Beedie’s hands flicked out, and Beedie pulled Elliot up to his knees. Nosa couldn’t believe the rage that possessed Beedie to swipe at the skin of Elliot’s stomach and chest, ripping the uniform he wore to shreds and taking off chunks of skin with each swipe. When Beedie turned his gaze back to Nosa, asking with his eyes for Nosa’s supplication, Nosa remained silent. This time though, Nosa’s silence was a result of the astonishment he felt at the maniacal rage which had possessed Beedie, not a lack of willingness to acquiesce to the alpha’s demands.

Beedie wasn’t aware of the thoughts coursing through Nosa’s head. Beedie wasn’t even in full possession of his own thoughts. In his bloodlust, he did something that Emeka would never have done, something no alpha ever should to a member of his pack. He pulled his lips back and sunk his fangs into the side of Elliot’s neck, biting off a huge chunk of the boy’s flesh.

As soon as the venom from Beedie’s fangs got into Elliot’s system, Nosa yowled. It was a sound so deep, rough, loud and filled with power that the betas holding him back jumped off him immediately. The sound was impactful enough to bring Beedie back to awareness, where he could let go off Elliot and stare with shock at what he’d done. The sound was so compelling all four of the boys were so focused on it that they didn’t see the heart-shaped pendant, which Nosa had resting against his chest, glow. They didn’t see that glowing red gem form crack lines dividing it into three parts. They didn’t see the glow in one of those parts dim to black, and they didn’t see the visible red glow which seemed to course through Nosa’s veins with his blood, till it got to his eyes. They were too preoccupied with hiding from the power in that sound, that they didn’t see Nosa’s eyes break into three parts just like the gem. One part had the golden irises of his wolf mark, one part had the pure white of his augur mark, and the last part, that was something confusing, the last part had the ferocious red of a commune.

Once the divide in Nosa’s eyes was complete, his yowl did something no one could have expected, something no one had seen before, something only one person could see now, and she was in the other side of the school, behind the school block.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 6:01am On Aug 23, 2018
Nosa’s yowl had been so loud that the entire school heard it, and every one of them stopped to wonder what it was. The few who knew, dropped whatever they were doing and ran in search of the source of that sound. Victor was one of them, one of the people who knew instinctively where that sound came from. So, he broke off the conversation he’d been having at the back of the school block with Tolani and Osezele and ran as fast as his werewolf agility could take him in search of Nosa. If only he’d known what would happen after he left.

Tolani and Osezele stared in shock at Victor’s departing back. He’d heard the sound, as had they, and he’d taken off without saying a single word. Osezele was still trying to figure out what had happened, what had caused the terrifying sound she’d heard, and why she felt such a strong pull towards it, when everything changed.

A rip formed in the air besides her. It was a black gash, the kind of tear that one would see in a fabric, but it wasn’t in a fabric, it was in the air. She stared gaping at it. “Tolani.” She whispered with awe. “Do you see it?”

Tolani who’d been startled by Victor’s impromptu departure, turned to Osezele and scanned the air around them. “See what?” she asked when she couldn’t find anything out of place.

Osezele only meant to point in the direction of the tear in the air. She hadn’t meant to touch it, but once she did, she was pulled in and she disappeared.

“Osezele!” Tolani screamed. She blinked, not really sure that she could trust her eyes. She’d seen Osezele vanish, seen it with her own eyes. “Osezele!” she yelled louder.

But where Osezele was, it was impossible for her to hear her best-friend’s panicked cries.

For as far as her eyes could see there was nothing. Just black. It was a monochromatic black. Underneath her there was dark black, very dark black in the grains on the ground. It looked a lot like sand, black sand. Around her, the black was lighter, like a dark shade of grey. Used to the nomenclature of the place she’d come from, she likened the black grains underneath her to the ground and the grey above to air, and she could almost swear she saw a gust of wind, as black and grey mixed together in her eyesight. But it wasn’t air, and it wasn’t sand, because where she was the elements could never go.

Osezele stared in wonder as question after question flooded her mind. Starting with the obvious, where was she? How had she come here? Then the fear kicked in and she wondered, how she would leave. If she could leave. That thought forged a knot of fear in her throat. She fought to swallow it down and waited for it to leave her the way it had been since she defeated the imps. No such luck. Whatever had been keeping her negative emotions in check had not come here with her. She reached into the part of herself where her marks were to pull one out, but to her utter dismay, she felt nothing. She was alone and unmarked. Osezele shivered.

Then she took in a deep breath and then let it out. She could do this. She knew it. If she’d come here, there had to be a way out, back to the life she knew and understood, back to the colors. She started walking, searching desperately for anything. There were no trees, no grass, no mud. There was only the flat black terrain. But she kept walking hoping that eventually she would run into someone she could ask for help. The more she walked, the less likely that alternative seemed to be. It felt like she’d been walking for hours and in that time, she hadn’t seen a single thing to indicate that there was life in this strange place. But she kept going.

Osezele kept walking until her feet hurt, until her throat was parched, until every urge in her body screamed for her to stop, to take a break, and even then, she walked some more. Till finally not even the force of her will was strong enough to make her legs move. She fell to the ground.

Osezele caught herself on her palms. Her hands sunk into the black grains and she knew from feel that this wasn’t sand. It was granular, but it felt soft, it didn’t itch, it didn’t prick. It was something she’d never seen before, and the unfamiliarity of it finally forced her to face the reality that where she was, was nothing like anywhere she’d ever seen or heard of.

That was when she saw the first sign of color. Dark green, white and black. Those were the colors she saw. As the colors came closer, she started to separate them. The black was at the bottom, the green was in the middle and the white on the top. It wasn’t till the colors got much closer that she saw that they were people. She shook her head. No, not people. Creatures. Separate creatures, about twenty of them. They came towards her riding black things that moved like horses, but the closer they got, the better she could see that these moving objects seemed to be made of mist, black mist. They looked like wraiths, without any discernible features.

As if the ghosts they rode weren’t terrifying enough, the things on the wraiths made Osezele move back a few paces. They had eyes, at least the round orbs looked like eyes. There was nothing in the eyes, no other rings or circles. Circular glasses seemed to cover those eyes, but these glasses didn’t have frames, no, they seemed to extend from the white creatures faces, they seemed to be a part of the face. They had noses, but the noses were flat, so flat they looked like two holes in their faces, and they had mouths, but their lips were scaly, reptilian. They also had ears, but the ears were too big, each one was almost half the size of their faces, and they extended out of their heads like big plates. The rest of the creatures’ bodies she couldn’t see as they were covered in green robes.

All too soon they were in front of her and Osezele jumped to her feet. The creatures circled her, surrounding her. She gulped nervously. Then the wraiths which they’d ridden to carry them to her, disappeared from beneath them as the creatures were lowered to the ground. She gaped, they were little. But the lines on their faces, if she could even call it that, showed off age. These creatures weren’t children, they looked more like the height they’d grown to, which only reached up to her waist – and she wasn’t even that tall – was the final height they would ever reach.

They didn’t seem to have any weapons. Osezele thought with relief as she continued to stare at the things. Then they spoke. Their voices sounded empty, barren, lacking in some way just like the rest of this cesspool.

“We are the wardens of Sada.” They cycled the speaking, each one saying only one word while the one to the right said the next word and on and on it went. “The keepers of time and destiny, the guardians of the annals of life. Who dares to trespass on our realm?”

Osezele gulped nervously. There was something funny about this, something funny about the little comical creatures, something funny about the black, something funny about the wraiths. It all seemed like a joke someone was playing on her and she looked around waiting for the joke to end. Unfortunately, it didn’t. Maybe she was having a vision? That thought gave her hope. But the hope didn’t last long. She’d seen Seyi’s vision, and it hadn’t looked like this.

Her voice was coarse when she replied. “My name is Osezele Omorodion, I…”

“Osezele Omorodion Osezele Omorodion Osezele Omorodion…” they cut her off, repeating her name as they cycled through, until every single one of the twenty had said both names. There was something very ominous about the way they called out her name. Then they chanted, “Uninvited. Unwanted. Unsought.” and Osezele felt fear, true fear, the likes of which she was sure she’d never experienced before. Her skin crawled with it and her nerves jumped. Then the long sleeves of the creatures’ green robes were pulled back, revealing white scaly hands and translucent claws. She looked at those sharp nails and it suddenly became nerve-rackingly clear why they hadn’t needed weapons. As they moved closer towards her, she realized with spine chilling fear that they were the weapons.

Osezele closed her eyes and prepared herself for death.

Then she heard the snap of a whip.

She opened her eyes.

New colors rode into the mix. She saw brown, red, and white. He got close enough to her and she could see the animal he rode. It was big, much bigger than what the creatures had ridden in on, and it was covered allover with white fur. But it wasn’t a wraith. It was an animal, or at least a variation on the animals she knew. It came closer and she recognized it by its facial features, not from previous sight, but from watching the marked movie Tolani suggested, the one that starred Binta Gambari. It was a squirrel, a white squirrel, but it was the biggest squirrel that she’d ever seen. Big enough for the man to ride it. And it was a man. Well, he was more man than the other creatures. His skin unlike the pure white of theirs, was creamier, more translucent. But that was the only otherworldly thing about him. His face was human, his irises were black, and the hands he revealed from beneath the red velvet robe were human.

The man stopped on his animal a few paces in front of the creatures and he snarled at them. They spoke rushed words between themselves that she couldn’t understand. But as they spoke she prayed that this man could convince them to leave. She felt kinship to the cream-white man because he at least was human. It occurred to her that he was just as capable of nefarious deeds as the other creatures, but she chose to side with the human. And she got her wish. The horse-wraiths appeared underneath the white creatures and they rode away, leaving her alone with the man.

Osezele opened her mouth to explain who she was and ask him to help her get back. But before she could speak, she felt a knife slice against the side of her face. Only it wasn’t a knife, it was a tongue with a tip as sharp as a knife. The tongue cut her cheek and took her blood back to its owner.

Osezele’s fears returned. She’d seen that tongue. It was too long to be human. And the way it snapped back into his mouth like a frog’s, she cringed just thinking about it. She watched the man close his eyes and savor the taste of her blood, and knew she was a goner.

Then his eyes opened and what she saw in those black orbs was surprise not malice. The corners of his lips crept up as he seemed to be regarding her in a new light. He said something in the strange language she couldn’t understand. Then he shook his head as if reminding himself that she couldn’t understand the language he spoke. When he parted his lips and words came out, they were words that she could understand. “Blood of my blood.” He intoned.

Osezele didn’t know what that meant, and she wasn’t giving any time to ask. The tip of the man’s whip came down and she flinched preparing for the strike. She was not its target. With unnerving precision, the man drew a perfect circle around her using only the tip of the whip. Then he curled the whip back and snapped it. The tip touched the circle he’d drawn and the ground underneath Osezele’s feet gave way. She found herself falling. As she did, she heard the man’s voice above her saying, “The nothingness will grant you a thing from the not so past, a thing from the not so present, and a thing from the not so future. Together they form a whole that answers the most pressing strain on your mind. Sada-hi-masan, blood of my blood.”

When Osezele stopped falling, there was more color. The ground was still black, the air still grey, but there was someone else there, a student in her school uniform. He turned around and the breath caught in Osezele’s throat. “Nosa.” She called out. But a bow and arrow appeared in his hand and without pausing to think, he fired the arrow straight through her heart. Osezele expected it to kill her then, but it didn’t. It hurt, it literally felt like she could feel the arrow piercing her heart, but somehow it made her stronger.

Then Nosa vanished. But there was still color to her left. She turned around and what she saw made her gasp. There was a student with her back to her. It was a St. Luke’s student. She wore a raincoat, so Osezele couldn’t tell by the girl’s uniform what class she was in, but she could clearly see the backpack the girl had, and she could see the maroon beret on her head. It wasn’t the girl that bothered Osezele, it was what stood in front of her. The girl’s hands rose up to unshackle a creature Osezele was all too familiar with. It was the nightmare she’d fought to wake up from and the crucible that had forged her in fire. It was the merged imps. And it was coming right at her.

The familiar urge came back to run, to run away like the coward it had tauntingly called her. But she stood her ground. She was not that girl anymore. The thing had a red cutlass in its hand, the same cutlass it had attacked her with. It rose the cutlass in the air, bringing it swinging down on her and she rose up her hand to block it. Only, when she rose her hand, her blue cutlass appeared in it. She dueled with the imp, somehow having the grace to match it swing for swing, and the skill to evade it. And at the last moment, she turned and sliced through it.

The merged imps vanished and in its place was a gash, the same one which had brought her here. Without stopping to think Osezele ran to it.

“Osezele!” Tolani screamed for the third time, turning around to face the other direction. Her parted lips froze in shock when she turned back around and found Osezele standing in front of her. “What happened?” Tolani asked. “One second you vanish and then the next you reappear.”

Osezele was just about to share all the incredible things she’d just seen with her best friend when she heard a voice in her head. It was Ngozi and she had a single message. “Come to the back of the auditorium. Now.”

In the back of the auditorium, Ngozi stood fighting the urge to vomit when she saw the blood gushing out of Elliot’s neck. He had his hand over the wound trying to stop the bleeding, but it still bled. Then he moved his lips as though he was trying to speak, but no words came out of his mouth, only blood. Ngozi tore her gaze from the wolf as more and more of them arrived. Orders were being given to get Elliot to the sickbay and to send for the healing witches. But Ngozi had seen the yellow coloring in his eyes and the veins standing out in his neck. She knew he had poison in his blood and there was nothing even the best of their healing witches could do for him. Only quintise magic could save a wolf with alpha venom running through his system.

Shamefully, the panicked looks on the faces of the St. Luke’s marked students wasn’t for the beta who was dying before their eyes, it was for their own self-interest. It was miserable despair for their safety and the life they’d come to know. It was anguish that their short time outside the community had come to a crashing end. Because, by the side of the auditorium there was an SS2 boy kneeling with his hands braced against the floor, crying hysterically and throwing up everything he had in his stomach. Because that SS2 boy was unmarked and he’d just seen Beedie partially go into his werewolf form.

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 9:32am On Aug 23, 2018
OH MY! shocked What has Beedie done? Now he stands to lose the little respect he has among the pack.

Osazele has gone beyond, what did that creature do to her? And Nosa's arrow to her heart? I can guess that it didn't just make her bolder if not stronger, it did something more. WOW! Amazing every episode gets juicier than the former. grin

ObehiD post another one today Pls? grin
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by monalicious(f): 9:59am On Aug 23, 2018
Wow. Interesting update. Now I can see that d people in the community are the ones manipulating the students at st Luke. They probably want to bring in the quintise by all means, thereby making Beedie do d unthinkable. The little magic the quintise did outside d school earlier is probably having effect, especially on the werewolves.
But this story is suppose to be an in between, its beginning to look like an end
Pls another update ASAP. Can't wait for these series to come out as a book

More pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeee
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 10:19am On Aug 23, 2018
monalicious:
Wow. Interesting update. Now I can see that d people in the community are the ones manipulating the students at st Luke. They probably want to bring in the quintise by all means, thereby making Beedie do d unthinkable. The little magic the quintise did outside d school earlier is probably having effect, especially on the werewolves.
But this story is suppose to be an in between, its beginning to look like an end
Pls another update ASAP. Can't wait for these series to come out as a book

More pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeee
And you are absolulely right. The community has a hand in these recent event happenings in St.Lukes and it affects the wolves more than the other elementals. Beedies rage and Nosa's aren't ordinary, they're fueled by the magic of witches.

And also, I can't wait to own a hard copy of this amazing story grin. Its a bestseller
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by tunjilomo(m): 5:36pm On Aug 23, 2018
Osezele probably met Duraya(the man on the giant squirrel.) at where she disappeared to and the place she disappeared to might be the beginning of time.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 3:25pm On Aug 24, 2018
@Fazemood I know, I tire for Beedie oh...but then is it really Beedie's fault...

So, I'm trying to keep the posts balanced out at one chapter a week. There are some weeks where I'm free enough to write more than one chapter and other weeks where I'm too busy to write at all. If I post as I write it won't be very uniform. Sometimes I break this, but that's only when I know I have a lot written, or at least enough to not have a whole week go by without a post (unfortunately I'm not there right now). So, please bear with me, and I'll keep trying to make them worth the wait wink

@monalicious You remember the quintise outside the school! Yay!!! Yeah, honestly, when I named the book and when I finished the last one I really wasn't planning for this one to be like this. The story has evolved quite a bit since I chose the name, hahaha. But...the name 'in-between' is also now tied to the past...I'll just leave it at that grin

@tunjilomo I don't want to spoil anything. That being said, you have the right idea. Osezele did go to one of the other existences, but it wasn't the supreme existence (where Duraya resides). I really like the idea of her going back to the beginning of time though. Can I steal that? cheesy
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Ultimategeneral: 6:28pm On Aug 24, 2018
obehiD well-done
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by tunjilomo(m): 8:58pm On Aug 24, 2018
Sure, obehiD, and kudos to you with your world building, it is really neat. So I salute you, and what's the name of that book of yours which you published on Kindle?
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by phoenixchap: 4:10pm On Aug 26, 2018
ObehiD. Good job I've been very busy in fact too busy to check but I have just caught up with the update.. Bessie is a gonna and I just osezele is able to revive Elliot.. Omoruyi I hope he finds what he's searching for.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 4:16am On Aug 27, 2018
Thank you @Ultimategeneral

@tunjilomo thank you. The name of the book is Crimson Night. It's the first book in the marked series.

@phoenixchap I know how those busy stretches can be. Thank you for making out time to keep up with the story! Hope things calm down soon.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

I Am Done With Honorary Awards, Says Soyinka / Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer / The Pain Of Pleasure - A Must Read For Every Lady And Her Boyfriend.

Viewing this topic: obehiD and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 748
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.