₦airaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,164,407 members, 4,716,061 topics. Date: Thursday, 24 January 2019 at 12:21 PM

The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book (16479 Views)

TÉLLÀ ( A Paranormal Story) / Grabbing The Hot Gate ( A Paranormal Novel) By Akintayo Akinjide / The Marked 2: White Sight. A Nigerian Fantastical Fiction Book. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 6:53pm On Aug 29, 2018
Pls anyone with ObehiD phone number should call her and tell that the time of update is long over due. That She should come and update o or we (her readers) will go on readers strike tongue
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 3:17am On Aug 30, 2018
Fazemood:
Pls anyone with ObehiD phone number should call her and tell that the time of update is long over due. That She should come and update o or we (her readers) will go on readers strike tongue

Lolll. Wow! I can't believe anyone is this engrossed with the story, hahaha, thank you. Alright, I have the next chapter ready so I'll post it now. The next one won't come out till next week though smiley
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 3:23am On Aug 30, 2018
Chapter Eleven
-----------------------------------------------------
St. Luke’s, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria
-----------------------------------------------------

Osezele stood at the back of the auditorium, stupefied by the scene which greeted her. Her eyes darted between the pool of blood on the ground, blood she’d been told belonged to Elliot, to Nosa who knelt with his head in his hands, to the shivering unmarked SS2 boy kneeling in his own vomit, to Beedie who seemed to be wearing the most severe frown she’d ever seen, then to the werewolves all standing around, and then back to the blood. Even as her mind struggled to process all the images and the strewn together words quickly following them, she reeled with the events which had happened only minutes ago, events which had led her to another world. There was a part of her that wanted nothing more than to flee from the gruesome scene in front of her and the tale of shockingly incomprehensible violence which accompanied it. That part of her, the voice in her head urging her to turn around, maybe close her eyes, blink a few times, pinch herself, do something, anything to make the horror go away, only seemed to get louder the more her eyes pivoted around the different sites in front of her. And just when she thought she couldn’t take one more second of standing there, looking at the blood or the vomit, Beedie spoke.

“What took you so long?” he snapped, bearing down on Osezele like a predator would its prey.

Osezele looked up at the hard features on Beedie’s face, noting the determination that seemed to accompany each step he took towards her, and she felt a bolt of fear shoot up her spine. It wasn’t fear for her own physical wellbeing, it seemed more psychological. Her heart slammed riotously against her ribcage as if it recognized the intent behind Beedie’s movements. But then the fear went away, washed off by whatever it was keeping her from retaining the negative emotions.

Beedie stopped a few steps in front of Osezele. He put his hands on his waist and she just then remembered the question she’d been asked. “I came here as quickly as I could.” She replied and was instantly shocked by the calm confidence her voice seemed to portray. She was even managing to look Beedie in the eye, even though she wanted nothing more than to turn around and throw up in the nearest toilet stall.

“That stupid boy,” Beedie began, stretching his hand out in the direction of the shivering SS2 boy, “stuck his nose into our business. It’s your job to take away his memory, and…”

“Take away his memory?” Osezele burst out, interrupting Beedie. She was so surprised by the words he’d spoken that she didn’t register the clenching of his jaw the second she interrupted him. “I’m not the most experienced memoir in St. Luke’s. Shouldn’t Lami be doing this?”

“Do you see Lami here?” Beedie snapped.

Ngozi walked over then, moving around Beedie so that she could get to Osezele. “We both know Lami can’t hold a torch to you.” Ngozi stated calmly. “You won’t just take away his memory, you can replace it with something different.” Ngozi saw the way Osezele’s eyebrows rose and her eyes darted to her and amended. “Something better, less traumatizing.”

Beedie scoffed and Osezele shook her head. “No.” she said. “I can’t do that.”

“Of course you can.” Ngozi replied, somehow managing to keep a rein on the tumultuous emotions coursing through her. “I’ve seen you do it before, remember.”

As soon as Ngozi said the words Osezele remembered. She remembered a night when she’d forced a bond on her bunkie and seen the girl’s vision. Then she’d somehow managed to replace Seyi’s memories with hers. “But that was different!” Osezele exclaimed in exasperation. “That’s because Seyi is…” she cut herself off before she’d said the dreaded words, ‘an augur’.

Beedie caught the slip. “Seyi is what?” he demanded.

Osezele raked through her brain frantically searching for a plausible explanation. Luckily Ngozi provided one. “Because she has a connection to Seyi.” Ngozi stated. Then she added, “Still Osezele, I think you should try.”

Beedie nodded, accepting Ngozi’s explanation. “Yes Osezele. You should try.” There was a warning in his voice as he spoke.

Osezele took a deep breath and turned her gaze back to the unmarked SS2 boy kneeling by the pillars. At that instant he turned his head towards her, almost as if he could sense that she was watching him. There were white streaks on his face, lines that spoke of tears he no longer shed. There was dried up vomit underneath his mouth and on his uniform shirt. Osezele swallowed down the bile that the sight of him wrought in her. She turned back to face Beedie and nodded. “I’ll try.” She said. “I’ll try to make him forget everything he saw. Make him forget coming here.”

Ngozi nodded smiling. She didn’t realize it then, but the biggest worry on her mind had been the unmarked boy. They’d been lucky the last time an unmarked person stumbled upon their secret. That time it had been Tolani and she’d proven herself to be a worthy addition to the group. Something told her this boy wouldn’t be as propitious of a new member if his memories couldn’t be erased.

Beedie had other ideas though. He shook his head. “No. That’s not what I want him to remember.”

Osezele’s brows furrowed. She stared at Beedie trying to decipher the meaning of his words. As he stood there, staring down menacingly at her, she suddenly remembered the fear she’d felt the moment he’d begun walking towards her. It had been an instinctual feeling and it was making its way back into her system. Then it was gone, just as quickly as it came. “What do you want him to remember?” she was almost too scared to ask.

The left corner of Beedie’s lips tipped up in a sardonic smile. “I want him to remember what he did.”

Osezele gulped nervously at the purposefully vague reply. She cast a look towards Ngozi whose previous calm had given way to speculative curiosity. Ngozi stared at Beedie with brows raised, waiting for him to get to his point. The same instinctual feeling which had made her afraid, now spurred Osezele on into asking, “What did he do?”

“What did he do?” Beedie repeated the question with a drop of amusement. “You don’t know what he did?” He asked Osezele.

Osezele shook her head.

Beedie turned to Ngozi, his lips parted and his arms outstretched as if he was sharing his bafflement at Osezele with her. Ngozi stared at him transfixed by the performance he put on. Beedie swerved back towards Osezele. “Why do you think everyone’s here? Why do you think there’s blood on the grass? Haven’t you heard anything anyone has been saying?” he asked derisively.

Osezele frowned. “Elliot is injured.”

“Yes.” Beedie nodded. “And who injured him?”

Osezele’s lips parted as her gaze fixed on Beedie’s face. With all the emotions she’d just watched him cycle, from anger to humor and now to…she craned her neck studying his face again…boredom, she was beginning to fear he was insane. She shook her head. “You.” She replied frankly.

The look of boredom which Beedie had plastered over his face faded, giving way to anger. But before the anger came on there was fear. It only lasted a few moments, too little time for either of the girls with him to notice, but there nonetheless. “No, not me.” Beedie shook his head. He turned around. Slowly, he stretched out his right arm and pointed his forefinger in the direction of the unmarked SS2 boy. “Him.”

Osezele’s mouth hung open. “What?” she snapped, her bursts of fear gone now that she was beginning to get a grip on what Beedie wanted.

Beedie turned back to face her. He’d never liked this girl. Never. Now as she stood there, an SS1 girl daring to question him, he hated her. Slowly, he bent his head towards her till his face was only a breath away from hers. “Didn’t you hear? That SS2 boy must have lost his mind because he broke a bottle and started tearing into Elliot’s flesh.”

Osezele pulled her head back, making more space between them. “That’s not what happened.” She insisted.

Beedie’s jaw clenched. His eyes were cold when he stated firmly. “Yes, it is.”

Osezele turned towards Ngozi. She didn’t know what exactly she was hoping her corner mate would say. Then Ngozi spoke. “It’s smart.” She said, shrugging and Osezele had never been more disappointed in a person in her entire life. She shook her head and turned away from Ngozi.

“No.” Osezele stated.

Beedie was baffled, completely baffled. “No.” he said the word slowly, as if sounding it out, as though he hadn’t heard it before. “No!” he yelled. Then, “No?” he asked. He laughed then. “Oh, but I wasn’t asking.”

Osezele scoffed. “I said no. You don’t have the power to force me.” Even as the words came out of her mouth and she registered the impact they were having on Beedie, her resolve strengthened. Beedie’s face turned into the picture of furious indignation. His nostrils flared, and his breathing was so heavy he looked like he was about to huff and puff and blow her away.

Osezele took a deep breath and tried to come up with ways to salvage the situation. “You made a mistake.” She said. “You lost control. I’ve lost control before, I know how it feels. Just let me go to Elliot. My witch mark is very strong, I can heal him. After I heal him, I’ll make that SS2 boy forget and it will be as if none of this ever happened. Please Beedie, do the right thing.” Osezele begged.

Beedie was so angry he couldn’t speak after she was done talking. It was Ngozi who spoke up. “That won’t work Osezele. Only quintise magic can save him and quintises don’t grow on trees. We wouldn’t even know where to start if we were trying to get a quintise. The only option would be to contact the community because they always have quintises on hand. But alpha venom acts quickly. Even if we were willing to risk getting the community involved, by the time we contact them Elliot will already be dead.”

Osezele turned pleading eyes towards Ngozi. She didn’t know what a quintise was, but she knew that she had to get to Elliot before it was too late. “You’ve seen me do the impossible. I can heal him. Just let me try.” She turned back to Beedie then. “Please.”

Beedie was passed the point of hearing anything she had to say. He snapped his fingers and gestured to the first wolf whose attention he got. “Run as fast as your legs can take you. Go to the outhouses, find Ms. Flowers and tell her there’s been an accident. Tell her that a student is in the sickbay dying. Make sure everybody in that place hears you. GO!” The wolf bowed to him and ran away. He didn’t try to suppress his mark, he just ran.

Osezele was just about to run after him when Beedie grabbed onto her upper arm. “This is how it’s going to go, princess.” Beedie used Nosa’s nickname for her mockingly. “You are either going to convince that boy that he is the reason why Elliot is dying, or I’m going to convince him that it was Nosa he saw, sprouting fangs and tearing into Elliot’s skin. The boy is terrified of me. He’ll say whatever I tell him to. It might not be as pretty as how you would do it, but it’ll work. I promise. And every wolf here will back me. So, either do what I’m telling you to or say goodbye to your boyfriend. He’ll spend the rest of his life in some filthy community jail and you’ll never see him again.” After saying that, he let go of her hand, pushing her back in the process.

Osezele had to struggle to keep herself from falling. She stared with silent wonder at the indents in her skin where Beedie had held her. Then she turned her fascinated gaze up to the boy in question. She couldn’t believe that he would be heartless enough to do it. Osezele looked deeper and for a second, just for a second she felt her commune mark in her. She felt the emotions coming off him. The anger she expected, but what she didn’t expect was the fear and he reeked of it. That was when she realized that spurred by his fear, he was capable of doing everything he threatened to.

Osezele closed her eyes and pulled in the emotions she felt coming from him. Those emotions added to the ones she should have been feeling. They brought her fear to life. They kindled her anger till it burned to smothering rage. They drew out the pain and worry she felt at the prospect of losing Nosa. When she opened her eyes they were red, so red Beedie held his breath and the only emotion he felt was fear. For the first time in her life, Osezele willingly chose the rush of the commune mark. She let it fuel her, let it drive her to inflict as much pain on Beedie as she was feeling in that moment.

And then the emotions went away, just like every other negative emotion she’d had since she destroyed the imps. All the anger, pain, fear and worry running through her body, ran right out, leaving her feeling an intense sense of loss. Without the emotions she had nothing to fuel her commune mark and the red in her eyes went away.

In that moment she came to a daunting conclusion. She realized then what it meant whenever her negative emotions were syphoned off. She’d been denied the opportunity to store those emotions, and without them her commune mark was nothing. Apparently, she wasn’t the only one who’d figured that out.

Beedie laughed.

As much as Osezele wanted to stay in her mind and try to figure out what happened to her commune mark, she couldn’t. There was a crisis in St. Luke’s and she was the only one who could fix it. She turned back to face Beedie and she felt an overwhelming urge to shrink back in fear. Just as quickly as the emotion came, it went away, leaving her with nothing. She felt empty, devoid. She shook her head. “Please Beedie.” She tried again. “Let me save Elliot.”

Beedie stopped laughing. He shrugged. “Fine.” He said. “Go and save Elliot.” He took a step back and waited for her to walk passed him.

Osezele only hesitated for a moment. Then she started walking by Beedie.

Beedie waited until she took the first step before speaking. “But know that as soon as you walk away, I’m going to enact my plan. Maybe you actually can save Elliot. Problem solved. In that case, the wolf I sent just looks like a fool in front of Ms. Flowers. But if you can’t save Elliot, Nosa takes the blame for everything. So, go to the sickbay, go and save Elliot, but make sure you do. Because if you don’t, you will have destroyed Nosa’s life. Are you willing to take that gamble?”

Osezele froze. Unbidden, her eyes moved to the spot where she’d last seen Nosa. He was gone. She turned back around and noticed that Tolani was gone as well. Both of them had left and she’d been too wrapped up in dueling with Beedie to notice.

Osezele considered her options. She knew without a shred of doubt what the right thing to do was. She knew it. So why wasn’t she running towards the sickbay? Every voice in her head seemed to be screaming for her to move, to save Elliot, to leave Beedie and his unconscionable demand behind. But the voices in her heart were begging her to stay, to do what Beedie wanted, to sacrifice an innocent boy’s future to save Nosa’s. Osezele stood rooted to the spot, torn between her desire to do the right thing and her need to protect the boy she loved. The more she considered her options the more sorrow and internal pain she felt. And as the emotions rose up in her, they were washed away, leaving her on an emotional roller coaster which was starting to drive her crazy. She had to make a choice, or she was sure she would lose her mind.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by phoenixchap: 10:03am On Aug 30, 2018
I just don't know how but this beedie of an animal is just right on my nerves, ObehiD please I beg you in the name of whatever u serve let him taste small punishment again either from Nosa or osezele I hate how he's going about the whole thing. I'm seriously in pain right now, Only him being humbled can relieve me. I also hope Osezele make the right choice
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Niwdog(m): 10:20am On Aug 30, 2018
Next update pls o
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 4:50pm On Aug 30, 2018
Beedie is a coward
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by spixytinxy(f): 5:11pm On Aug 30, 2018
Me I yam tired of dis beedie, someone should just put him in his place bare, nice work obehid
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Richykemzy: 6:48pm On Aug 30, 2018
obehiD dis Beedie guy needs to be punished in the next episodes, so annoying
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by GeoSilYe(f): 9:43pm On Aug 30, 2018
Beedie sef ehn!

But obehiD now that Lami was mentioned, are we going to hear anything about her soon?

What about Emeka? And other past ss3 students before Beedie's set?
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Richykemzy: 2:48pm On Aug 31, 2018
GeoSilYe:
Beedie sef ehn!

But obehiD now that Lami was mentioned, are we going to hear anything about her soon?

What about Emeka? And other past ss3 students before Beedie's set?

@geosilye, lami is in beedie's set now
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 3:28am On Sep 01, 2018
@phoenixchap Don't make up your mind against Beedie yet, he may surprise you. But yeah, I'm not a fan of how he handled things too...but maybe he had his reasons...who knows what's going through that boy's mind sef...haha. I don't even know what the right choice for Osezele would be, but soon you'll find out what she does.

@Niwdog update is in the works, coming next week

@Fazemood lol, you won't get any argument from me on that...but maybe you're being too harsh on him...

Thank you @spixytinxy. I agree that something has to happen concerning Beedie cheesy

@Richykemzy you might relent on Beedie a bit after a while...you never know...

@GeoSilYe Lami is going through things. She has been away for a while and she's probably going to be away for a bit longer, but she has things to work through. For the past SS3 students from Emeka's set, I don't want to spoil it, so I'll just say that based on the plan I have right now, none of them are coming back into the story in this book (it is very possible that this could change). But in other books, we may see one or two of them again.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by spixytinxy(f): 8:38am On Sep 01, 2018
U r welcome @ obehid, shld we b expecting any update soon, pls pls drop something light for d weekend.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by tunjilomo(m): 10:19am On Sep 01, 2018
Osezele should just drag Beddie along to Elliott's bedside.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 7:05am On Sep 02, 2018
@tunjilomo she tried using her commune mark on him and found out that they were pretty much useless. I don't think there's much she's able to do with her witch mark, but we'll see what she does cheesy

@spixytinxy I'll be posting the next chapter next weekend. Your desire for something light actually pulled me away from the straight trajectory of the chapters I'd been writing and inspired a look into something else. So thank you for that grin. So as requested, here is something light for the weekend (I guess for Sunday now).
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 7:09am On Sep 02, 2018
Before writing this, I want to say that this post is NOT the next chapter in the book. I don't even know if it's going to be part of the book, it's really just an aside. You can think of it as a short (hopefully entertaining) interlude while you wait for the next chapter. This is what I imagine that specific world looking like, but it could possibly change. Thanks again @spixytinxy for the inspiration.

I don’t know where I am. There is darkness all around. The ground which I walk on is black and the air that I breath is dark. There are others here with me, people of different races giving color to our bleak surroundings, and in front I see gates, so large that even from here I can see them, but even those are black. There is a certain sort of desperation to this march that we do. I stand in this line, walking behind what could be a thousand people, all taking one step after the other probably thinking the same thing that I do: Where am I?

I may not know where exactly, but I know that this is death, at least what comes after. My mind is sharp even though my body seems to be dulling…I will not think of that now. No…what was I thinking of? My mind. My mind is sharp, I remember everything. I remember the life I’d had, the woman I loved and the children we’d brought into the world. I also remember how I died. I saw a boy whom I knew turn into a monster. I watched as hairs sprouted from his body and claws grew from his hands. I watched him transform, in front of my startled eyes, into a beast. If only my mind hadn’t been so addled by this perplexing occurrence, I would have run, yelled, done something. But I didn’t, and so here I am. This must be hell then, because heaven couldn’t look this bleak. But hell? Had I lived such a bad life? I was not rich, being a teacher didn’t pay that much. There was a pay increase when I was promoted to vice-principal but even that wasn’t big enough to be proud or greedy. My family was comfortable, so I went to church every Sunday and I praised God, because there were so many as educated as I who weren’t as lucky. I gave alms and did good deeds, but maybe I didn’t do enough. I mustn’t have, because I’m here, in hell.

Days must have gone by, I think, I don’t know. There is no sun here, no way to track time. But my body feels alien, as if undergoing some sort of transformation. My mind is beginning to dull and that frightens me more than my body. No one speaks here, and so the only solace is in one’s mind. What is one to do then if the mind goes? Yes, days must have gone by, though in truth it only feels like hours. I think time works differently here.

Finally, I exhale, I am at the front of the line. There is a table in front of me. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, I have seen the creature sitting behind it. It is an abomination of white skin and small features, except the ears. The ears are like nothing I’ve ever seen. If I forget everything from this harrying experience, I will never forget the ears. It doesn’t speak, at least I haven’t heard it do so.

The woman at the table stops writing. She stands straight and turns to her left. I watch as a section of the gate opens to accept her. There is no one standing by the gate to open it, just shadows.

I hear the impatient clearing of a throat and my attention snaps back to the creature seated in front of me. It waves me forward and I obey. It stretches out its hand, and I feel an instant instinct to vomit at the sight of the calluses and the long nails. But I resist, though through no power of my own. It feels like my body has lost the ability to vomit.

I stretch out my hand to shake hands with the creature. As soon as my hand touches it, it turns it over so that my palm faces up and I realize it has no intention of shaking me. Instead, it tears through my skin with the claws in its other hand. The pain is extreme. I am…I suppose the right tense is was…a clumsy man, so I cut myself a number of times and I know how it felt. It never hurt this much. How is it that the other things in my body dulled while my pain increased? The creature forces my hand to be vertical and I watch as drops of my blood land on a big book.

My eyes widen. As though spurred on by my blood, the pages begin to flip at an alarming rate, until it stops on a page. The creature leans forward, reads, and then drops back down to its seat with a sigh of disappointment, as if I was somehow found lacking. Curios to know what he’d seen, I look down on the page myself and I see what appears to be the sum total of my life in four bullet points.

- Human name: Henry Danladi
- Human age: 38
- Human origins: Africa, Northern Nigeria (Not born on ancestral soil)
- Human worth: UNMARKED
- Signature: _________________________

The creature points at the space and I understand that I am expected to sign it, and so I do. The creature jerks its head to the left in dismissal and I follow in the same direction as the woman before me. The gate opens as I approach, and I walk into the darkness. As soon as the shadows envelope me, my worst fear comes to life, I lose my mind.

Squirrels. Giant squirrels. That is the first thing I see when I come back to consciousness. Again, the world I now inhabit is black. I am surrounded by people, like me. I no longer feel my heart beating, I no longer inhale air. I feel hollow, as if my insides have been emptied out, as if my life has been taken. It is a very disturbing feeling. So, instead, I look at the squirrels and up from the squirrels to the orange things riding them. They are more like humans than the white creatures from before. Their ears at least are the normal size, although pointy. And the hairs on their head stand out like spikes. They are covered by cloaks, but the features which I can see are strange. Their eyes are slits, but their mouths are full, almost perfect in the shape they form. Their noses are thin, much thinner than any I’ve ever seen, and their faces are observably smooth. Except for one big white spot, like a pimple in the center of their foreheads. They hold whips.

I take my eyes off them and look around. I find that we are encircled, observed, watched like exotic things on display. The white creatures outnumber us now. These creatures, however, look different from the one before the gates. They are dirtier, and more of their skin is revealed. I can see the folds in their hands, unnatural folds…but where I am, who is to say what natural is. Before I can explore any further, a voice rings out banishing the silence.

“Marked, step forward.” It announces.

Five people move out of the rabble of humans and walk towards the orange men on squirrels. A fever begins to spread amongst the white creatures. It is obvious that they want to touch, they are fascinated by the marked, but they stay in line. And then a hole forms in the circle. The white creatures make way and better dressed white creatures come in, riding something I can only call horse ghosts. There are four of them. The first one in the group walks towards two marked. There is a flurry of motion. This creature moves faster than my eyes can take in. In a matter of seconds all the marked have collars around their necks with chains held by the white creatures. They turn on their horses and leave just as they’d come in.

There is the sound of a whip snapping and all of our attentions go to one of the orange creatures on the giant squirrels.

“Come take me to heaven, I don’t deserve to be in hell!” It is a strange cry, one that I know comes from a human, one of us amongst the rabble. It sounds like a woman’s voice. The voice is filled with so much anguish and fear that I almost cry out with her. But I wait, and my hesitation proves wise, as I watch the woman being dragged out of the group by the ends of a whip wrapped around her neck.

Then she is beaten. They flog her. There are about a dozen of these orange creatures on the giant horses and they whip her. At first her cries are loud, then she begs, and then there is silence, but they continue to whip her. It seems an eternity goes by before they stop. Then the woman is hoisted into the air, again with a whip wrapped around her neck, and is flung towards the group of white creatures that circle us. That creates a frenzy amongst the creatures, but I do not look to see what becomes of her, I stare at the orange ones on the squirrels. As I watch their silent observation of us, I come to a daunting realization that we mean nothing to them, less than nothing. I fear the only ones of value were the marked.

Then one of the orange creatures speak. Its voice is hard, but its diction is smooth as if it has had much practice with English. “This is not hell. This is simply what comes after. You are humans. When humans die, they go to one of the three other, more superior, existences. You have come to us. You will fight so we can test your strength. Then you will be beaten so we can test your endurance. If you test well, you will be of high value and belong to a noble. If you do not test well, you will be given to the populace. You do not want to be given to the populace. The populace does not care well for their slaves. Your old lives will be taken from you, your memories destroyed, your bones sublimated, your skin evaporated. You will become of no essence, just slaves to take whichever form your owner chooses. Your minds will start blank, your first memory will be of your owner’s lash. There is no death for you, this is what will be forever. Accept your new reality and you will flourish, fight it and you will know a fate worse than a million human deaths, and feel pain in ways humans could never imagine.” The creature pauses and then orders, “Fight!”

Suddenly a wooden sword appears on the floor in front of my feet. I pick it up and in my last moment of conscious thinking, with the memories of my human life still so clear, I see the face of the boy who killed me.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by spixytinxy(f): 7:23am On Sep 02, 2018
Wow, am so glad dat I inspired u, I feel fulfilled, thanks so much @ obehid. Will read update wen I come bk from church. More inspiration in Jesus name.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 8:39am On Sep 02, 2018
ObehiD you have come again...Now I am caught inbetween, which of these stories should I crave for more of the Next Episodes? This one, I want to know what happens next. The other one, I want to see Beedie humiliated.

ObehiD biko help my matter! grin grin
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by tunjilomo(m): 12:50pm On Sep 02, 2018
OP, this your own –what should I call it, purgatory– gidigan.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 5:04am On Sep 04, 2018
@spixytinxy amen. Thank you

@Fazemood You're not the only one haha, I don't know which one I want to write next! I got carried away with the Danladi angle in the other existence and now I'm just seeing him before/after the sublimation, seeing who he ends up enslaved to, learning the world and culture through some strange view. He'll lose his memory, and his life, at least in his mind, starts after he becomes something else in this new existence and I'm dying to follow his story, but...oh well, the next one is going to be back in St. Luke's

@tunjilomo hahaha, it's definitely quite bleak. Good thing it's just one of three possibilities for life after in this world

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by tunjilomo(m): 8:39am On Sep 06, 2018
Got a question. Is obehiD female?
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 9:15am On Sep 06, 2018
tunjilomo:
Got a question. Is obehiD female?
Yes o ObehiD issa girl . Me I was 'wowed' when I learnt she is.

These write-up isn't like that coming from a ladies brain. Its so mythical and fictional.
And based on my experience, ladies are more romance oriented than any other genre in Literature.

Mehn dis girl 'BAM' for real. I fit make her my paddy, as in initiate her into the BROTHERHOOD (as in a guy to guy friendship Wo!) cheesy

Or as ma bebe. She kukuma fin gaaan! grin With korrect brain wey get 40 ZILLIBYTE of sense and ideas pumping out.

Her only but MAJOR wahala be sey she no de UPDATE quick quick dats why I never wan toast her yet angry .

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by tunjilomo(m): 11:36am On Sep 06, 2018
Fazemood:

Yes o ObehiD issa girl . Me I was 'wowed' when I learnt she is.

These write-up isn't like that coming from a ladies brain. Its so mythical and fictional.
And based on my experience, ladies are more romance oriented than any other genre in Literature.

Mehn dis girl 'BAM' for real. I fit make her my paddy, as in initiate her into the BROTHERHOOD (as in a guy to guy friendship Wo!) cheesy

Or as ma bebe. She kukuma fin gaaan! grin With korrect brain wey get 40 ZILLIBYTE of sense and ideas pumping out.

Her only but MAJOR wahala be sey she no de UPDATE quick quick dats why I never wan toast her yet angry .

Wow! Wow! Wow! There are few women author, who could drop this type of fantasy bomb. And if I am correct in my analysis of this story, it is less inclined to romance.

About her update intervals, I guess we will have to manage, since it's quality and quantity is always unquestionable.

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by monalicious(f): 5:29pm On Sep 06, 2018
Please obehid, once a week is too small oh. Please can we bargain for twice a week? Ppppppllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaasssssssseeeeeeeeeee
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by spixytinxy(f): 5:43pm On Sep 06, 2018
Yes oooo, obehid once a week is two small. Looking forward to ur update
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 4:55am On Sep 07, 2018
In response to the complaints about the frequency of the updates, the thing is I'm not just writing, I'm in school and I'm working so I don't have as much time as I would like for writing this. I definitely won't be able to write enough to keep up 2 chapters a week at least not right now. However, if you all would really like me to post twice a week, then I can break up the chapters, and post the first half in the middle of the week and the second half closer to the weekend. So it's up to you (readers), let me know which you prefer.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 5:21am On Sep 07, 2018
Chapter Twelve
----------------------------------------------------
St. Luke’s, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria
----------------------------------------------------

Nosa breathed in deeply before gently pushing the slightly opened door. The smell of medicine hit him as soon as he walked in. He fought against the smell as his eyes scanned the room. There were six beds in the sickbay, all to the left of where he stood. To the right there was a bathroom and a toilet, next to the single desk in the room. The desk was empty now. The only people in the room where marked students. For some reason, the sight of him seemed to drive them off, because as soon as he forced his legs to move passed the door, the students began a hasty retreat. They left him alone with Elliot.

Nosa walked over to the only bed with a patient in it. He walked by the bed and sat on a wooden chair which was next to the bed. Nosa sat in silence. His eyes scanned Elliot’s profile. Elliot was still, completely motionless as if he was forcing himself not to move. But Nosa could hear the almost inaudible sobs he made, and he felt his strength crumble. The faint beating of Elliot’s heart was his undoing.

“I’m sorry.” Nosa cried out. “I’m so sorry.”

Elliot turned around then. The movement was clumsy, and it seemed to put a lot of strain on him. The corners of Elliot’s mouth tightened as he fought against the pain. He blinked slowly, releasing the tears he couldn’t stop. He knew he was dying, he felt it in every single part of himself. Still, he refused to die knowing that Nosa would bear the blame for it. He refused to let his alpha belittle himself on his account. If there was anything Elliot knew for sure, it was that Nosa was the better alpha, the stronger wolf. There was only one reason why he hadn’t won against Beedie and Elliot was determined to make sure Nosa knew what it was.

Elliot swallowed. He was weak, so weak he wondered if he would be able to do it, to say the words he knew Nosa needed to hear. His drawn eyes rose to Nosa’s face and the grim look of guilt and self-hatred he saw forced him to speak. Elliot gathered every strength in his body, pulling at whatever it was that was keeping him lucid enough to say a single word. “Weak.”

Nosa’s eyes shot to Elliot’s. He studied the boy for the first time since he walked into that room. His chest was bare. Someone had covered the claw marks with some sort of gauze. He guessed they’d cleaned it too, but the gauze was still red in the center and white at the edges. It was obvious that he’d done a good deal of bleeding, and his natural healing wasn’t kicking in. Nosa’s eyes rose to Elliot’s neck. Every vein in his neck seemed to be standing out, as if proudly showing off their golden hue. The bright color stood up in clear contrast against the dark skin. The veins in Elliot’s face were also standing out then. They were still the normal color, but the gold was spreading from his neck to his face. The gold color was an indication of the alpha venom coursing through his veins. Once that color spread to the veins in his face he would be dead.

Nosa’s eyes moved to the white gauze which covered the bite in his neck. Then his eyes searched out Elliot’s. Nosa looked at the weak, barely parted yellow eyes and he nodded. He fought against the tears threatening to spill out of his eyes. He took a deep breath and pushed the anguish down. He refused to cry like a baby and then put Elliot in the position of having to comfort him. Nosa shook his head. This was his penance. He would watch his friend die and learn the one lesson Emeka had never been able to teach him, what happened when you let your pack down. Finally, he nodded in agreement of Elliot’s word. “Yes.” He said. “I am weak.”

Elliot inhaled so sharply the raspy sound tore at Nosa’s pride. This was all his fault, and he knew it. Why did he stand up to Beedie when he was too weak to fight him? Why did he let Beedie do this to a beta who trusted him? Why? Elliot drew in a breath again and the shrilling sound brought Nosa’s attention back to him. Elliot pointed at his chest and somehow managed to say the word again. “Weak.”

That was worse than anything Nosa could bear. He shook his head. “No.” he refused to let Elliot blame himself. He was the alpha, he was the leader, he was to blame. “You are not weak. Don’t even think about blaming yourself for this. It was my fault.”

Again, Elliot made that rasping sound. When he had Nosa’s attention he pointed to Nosa’s chest and said again. “Weak.”

Nosa’s hand instinctively rose to his chest. When he did, his palm rested against Osezele’s pendant, the one he wore around his neck. He understood the message Elliot was trying to pass along then. He wasn’t saying that he was weak, he was saying that the pendant made him weak. Elliot was telling him that he knew without it, he would have won. He was telling him that he was still worthy of being his alpha. Nosa rose misty eyes, filled with unshed tears, to meet Elliot’s.

Then Elliot smiled. It wasn’t a full smile, only a pitiful little gesture, but it was enough, too much. Nosa understood the gesture for what it was, forgiveness, release. Elliot was saying he didn’t blame him for what happened. Nosa’s head dropped into his hands and the tears came pouring out of him.

Nosa struggled to stop crying, and when he finally did, he rose his head to thank Elliot. Elliot’s eyes were closed, and his body was so still, Nosa thought he was dead. Then he listened. He heard the faint beating of Elliot’s heart. It was slowing down, but it was still there. Nosa stood up. He wanted to stay there, wanted to stand by Elliot’s bed and be there for him till he drew the last breath, but he couldn’t do it. He just couldn’t.

Nosa turned around and ran out of the sickbay.

Tolani was running along the slab towards the sickbay when she saw Nosa run by her. She stopped for a moment to call out his name. But when he didn’t answer, she had a very strong feeling of dread. She picked up the pace then, running as fast as she could. Something about the way Nosa ran scared her more than the news she’d heard. Somehow, she hadn’t allowed herself to believe that things could really be so bad. She hadn’t allowed herself to believe it.

Tolani ran through the wooden door of the sickbay and froze at the sight of Elliot. He was so still. She stopped breathing. It was as if she forgot how to, as if she needed to see Elliot do it before she could allow herself draw in air. Then Elliot’s chest rose and fell. It was a slight movement, so small she may not have seen it if she hadn’t been focused entirely on him. But she saw it, and she allowed herself to breathe, to hope.

That was when she realized she wasn’t alone. There was a boy sitting on the chair beside Elliot’s bed. He held Elliot’s hand in his and he was muttering words. It wasn’t till she got closer that she recognized who it was and heard what he said.

Danny’s words were muffled by the tears he cried.

“Trying to break free but there’s shadows everywhere,
The ghosts of the dead skulk around somewhere there.
Clinging to the world with what’s left of hope,
Nobody said, but somebody spoke.” Danny couldn’t go on anymore. He stopped his recitation of the poem and gave into the tears.

Tolani picked up where he left off, making her presence in the room known to him.

“Silence we live in, silence we chose,
That’ll be our downfall, the thorn to our rose.”

Danny’s head rose, and his eyes lifted to hers. Tolani didn’t stop.

“The world is turning dark and everybody feels it,
There’s a bomb to the north, still we’re too afraid to mix.
Instead we keep to ourselves in silent condemnation,
We have what it takes, but we’re wary of damnation.”

Danny joined in then and they recited in unison.

“We are all alone in this world each a misfit.
There’s a rupture and we need to fix it.”

Then they were silent.

Danny wiped at his nose and sniffled. “The two of you would have been good for each other.” He said. Tolani’s eyebrows drew together as she studied Danny. He hadn’t let go of Elliot’s hand. And when he’d spoken to her, after they’d recited the poem, his words were filled with grief and malice. Tolani’s eyes studied his, she watched the way he looked at Elliot. Before she could speak, Danny continued talking. “World of misfits. It’s his favorite poem by Jandy.” He sniffled and then laughed a little sardonically. “It’s the only poem he knows off the top of his head, and he loves it.” Danny shrugged. “Not that I gave him much of a choice. We went to primary school together. He liked to play tag with the boys during break and I liked to play ten-ten with the girls.” Danny smiled wistfully. “I still remember the first time he spoke to me. We were in primary three and two primary six boys forced me to eat sand because I liked playing with girls. After that the girls stopped playing with me. They were scared of the primary six boys. Elliot was the only one who wasn’t afraid.”

Tears slipped down Danny’s face as he spoke. “I was drawing in the sand with a stick, keeping my head down so that I wouldn’t have to watch all the other children playing. Then I saw two feet planted in front of me. I rose my head up and Elliot stretched out his hand to me. ‘You and I are going to be best friends.’ He announced it for the whole school to hear. I smiled despite myself. But just to be stubborn I told him we didn’t have anything in common. He just shrugged. He told me he’d try something for me and I’d try something for him. Later I gave him a book filled with Jandy’s poems and told him that poetry meant a lot to me. He read every single page and a week later he recited World of misfits to me. You should have seen the way he looked. He was so scared that he wouldn’t do it justice, his forehead was furrowed the whole time. He was adorable.” Danny swallowed. “And he loved it. Somehow, the most desolate poem resonated with the happiest person I know. He’s the reason I got into sports. He did something for me, and I did something for him.”

Tolani sat on the left side of the bed. She sat gently, so that she wouldn’t wake Elliot. But she was suddenly filled with the urge to get close to him. A strong part of her wanted to pick up Elliot’s other hand, and let Danny know just how she felt about him. But even in the sudden despair she felt to know Elliot as well as Danny obviously did, she couldn’t do that to Danny, she wouldn’t. “You love him.” She said simply.

Danny’s first thought was to lie. To deny it the way he’d taught himself to. It was wrong to love him, everybody said it was. He’d only made the mistake of admitting it once. Not to Elliot, to his sister. She’d told his parents and their reaction would remain with him for the rest of his life. He shook his head denying Tolani’s words, but somehow he felt his lips part and his mouth move in contrast to his shaking head. “Yes.”

Tolani smiled. It was a tight smile, one that was filled as much with jealousy as it was with pity. “I’m sure he loved you.” She said. Danny shook his head, ready to deny it, to defend his best friend’s honor and prevent him from ever having to deal with the stigma of the perversion Danny knew he was. Tolani didn’t let him. “Not the way you loved him but love nonetheless. You’re lucky to have experienced it.”

Danny stood up so forcefully the chair he’d been sitting on fell to the ground. Not even that loud sound was enough to wake Elliot up. Tolani had already seen the golden color spreading to his face. She understood then why Nosa ran away. She wasn’t sure she could stay here either. Not when it was so obvious he was going to die.

“He’s dying, isn’t he?” Danny demanded.

As much as Tolani wanted to lie, she couldn’t. Not to him. She nodded.

“Oh God.” He muttered. “Oh God!” he exclaimed. Danny walked out of the sickbay in a haze of tears. He was so blinded by the tears that he ran right into Ricky. Ricky had to hold onto Danny to keep himself from falling.

Ricky frowned as soon as he noticed the tears in Danny’s eyes. “You okay bro?” he asked.

Danny couldn’t speak. He just shook himself free of Ricky’s hold and kept walking. For some reason Ricky couldn’t fathom, he found himself following the crying boy.
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by obehiD: 5:23am On Sep 07, 2018
Just at that moment, Osezele was glad for the wind which had taken her from the back of the auditorium to the sickbay in a matter of seconds. When she got there, the sickbay was filled with marked students. She saw Elliot lying on the bed and Tolani sitting next to him and she turned towards them. A hand clamped onto her arm, keeping her in place. Osezele turned and followed the hand back to its owner.

“How did it go?” Ngozi asked.

Osezele swallowed nervously. She took a deep breath and prepared herself to face what she’d done in the back of the auditorium. She sighed and then she started talking. “He told me that either the SS2 boy takes the blame for what happened, or Nosa does.” She’d thought she was ready to talk about it, but as soon as she said the words her lips clamped together.

“And?” Ngozi prompted, shaking the arm she held a little.

Osezele tore her arm free of Ngozi’s hold and stared coldly at the girl she’d once called friend. “And I didn’t like either option, so I tried to take Beedie’s memory away instead.”

Ngozi gasped. “And?”

“And I found out that my witch mark, unlike my commune mark, doesn’t work on wolves in their mark. Beedie went into his mark and…” she trailed off. Osezele closed her eyes and she was standing back in the auditorium, seething with emotions which didn’t last long enough to do her any good. In a stroke of self-acclaimed genius, she lunged at Beedie, prepared to try out her memory altering abilities on him instead of the poor boy. It backfired on her and she’d gotten a backhand slap for her trouble.

When that hadn’t worked she’d tried plan b. She’d pretended as if she was taking the boy’s memories away, but she hadn’t done a thing. As if Beedie had known she would try it, he’d questioned the boy as soon as she was done. Needless to say, the alpha hadn’t been too impressed by her evasive tactics. He made it clear that if he went down, he was taking Nosa with him.

And so she did what he wanted her to. Just the thought of it made bile rise in her throat. Apparently, disgust wasn’t one of the commune emotions because she felt a lot of it then. But she’d had a plan, she still did. When she’d put her hand on the boy’s head she’d hoped it wouldn’t work, hoped she didn’t have the power to do it, but she did. It was there in her combined marks. She touched him and she was somehow able to get into his head. She saw the memory of the killing, watched everything they’d done to Elliot and Nosa and then she’d given the boy another memory, the memory Beedie wanted him to have. Osezele felt the first draft of sorrow rise in her, and then it was gone. She took a deep breath remembering her plan.

Osezele rushed through the rest of the story and finished it with her new plan, the one which had been forced upon her. “I’ll heal Elliot.” She promised, fully trusting in her ability to do it. “After Elliot is well again, I’ll go back and change the boy’s memory. I’ll make him think he never left his class.”

Just as she made that promise Nosa walked back into the sickbay. As hard as he’d thought staying would be, leaving was so much worse. He couldn’t imagine not being there for Elliot so he’d returned to spend the last minutes together with his friend. Nosa heard what Osezele said, and he swiveled, turning to face her. “Can you heal him?” he asked, the hope he felt Unclad in his voice.

Osezele heard it. She turned to face him and for a second she forgot everyone else in the room. It was always this way when she saw him, always as if nothing else mattered. But then she saw the strain in his facial features and his words registered on her. “I’m going to try.” She promised.

“Thank you.” Nosa exhaled. “Thank you.”

She gave him a tight-lipped smile and turned to face the bed. She walked towards that bed, to the side where Tolani sat. As if sensing her presence, Tolani turned around. “Osezele!” she exclaimed, her heart filling with hope. Why hadn’t she thought of Osezele? If anyone could save him it would be her. Tolani jumped off the bed and moved aside making way for her.

Osezele nodded her thanks. She sat on the bed besides Elliot and placed both hands against his chest. She went into her witch mark and her eyes turned blue. “Bitalaba Ekete ma n’oba. Bitisibi Odibo ma n’ise.” She incanted.

Osezele opened her eyes expecting to see a change in him and was sorely disappointed. She took another deep breath before going back into her mark and chanting the same spell over and over again. She kept chanting, but even in her witch mark she could feel its futility. When Osezele came out of her mark, all her hope was gone, along with everyone else’s.

The room was silent now, as silent as a tomb. No one spoke, no one moved, they hardly breathed. “No!” Osezele cried out. “No!” She forced herself to think, to come up with anything else she could do and then it hit her, her blue place. It was smart, it knew things that she didn’t. Just as that answer came to her, she remembered that the only way she could go to her blue place was through a crimson inferno. Even if she was willing to risk building a crimson inferno right there, she couldn’t go into her commune mark for long enough to build one.

Tolani felt it as soon as Elliot stopped breathing. She knew, somehow she knew. She dropped to her knees and let out a shrill cry which was so alien to her, everyone in the room turned to face her. Once they saw her crawl over to Elliot and wrap herself around his neck. They knew. They heard her sob loudly into Elliot’s neck and Tolani’s cry was joined by a chorus of tears.

Osezele reached out to her best friend and pulled her into her arms. The both of them ended up on the floor. Tolani wept. She wept for a love that was now forever denied her. She wept for a life that was wasted. And she wept for herself and all the other students, who would never be the same after losing Elliot. The pain she felt was like nothing she could ever have imagined. It tore at her heart. She kept seeing him standing in front of her in his sportswear and laughingly saying, “Nice smile. For a spitfire.” She saw him attempting to joggle a ball on his knees just to show off for her. She felt so foolish, foolish for wasting a single moment denying how she felt about him, and now she would never get to know where those feelings might have taken them. Because Elliot was dead, he was gone, and he was never coming back. And so Tolani wept.

Beedie walked into the sickbay then. He stopped by the door and studied the grim faces on the students in the room. He saw Tolani weeping, kneeling in Osezele’s arms by the side of the bed, and all he wanted to do was run away from the shame of what he’d done. Some of the people turned to him. There was hatred in the warlocks’ eyes and fear in the wolves. They all stared at him as if it was his fault, as if he’d wanted to kill the boy. All he’d wanted was the respect Emeka got, all he’d wanted was for Nosa to bow. How was he supposed to know that it would end up this way? He couldn’t even remember biting the boy. Yes, he beat Elliot up, but that was just to break Nosa, to make him bow. But clawing at him, biting into him? That wasn’t him, why couldn’t they see that? Why couldn’t they feel what was going on inside him, making him black out with rage at the slightest provocation? Why didn’t they understand?

As much as Beedie wanted to sink into the emotions he felt, he didn’t. He had a job to do. He had to make sure this didn’t get any worse for any of them. He was the only one who was thinking straight. “Kneel down there.” He snapped at the unmarked SS2 boy who he’d set up to take the blame for all of this.

The boy ran into the sickbay eager to follow Beedie’s orders. Then he saw Elliot lying dead on the bed and he broke down. His mind couldn’t fully grasp what he’d done. He knew it was a mistake. He hadn’t meant to hurt Elliot. They’d just been fighting, students fight all the time. But then Elliot slipped, and he fell against a piece of glass sticking out from the grass. The glass punctured his neck. The boy could still remember all the blood. He looked down at the piece of glass in his hands. He’d dug up the glass that Elliot had fallen on, and now his hand was red with blood. He couldn’t raise his eyes. He shut himself out of the room, ignoring everything else happening. The only thing on his mind was the classmate he’d inadvertently killed.

Beedie made to move towards Elliot when the door to the sickbay opened and the wolf he’d sent to Ms. Flowers came running in. “She’s coming.” He announced.

Beedie nodded. He strode towards Elliot. One order after the other he set the stage for the viewing of the body. First, he ordered one of the SS2 wolves to take off his shirt and wear it on Elliot. That way the marks on his chest were hidden and the story they’d concocted was more believable. Next, he ripped off the gauze on Elliot’s neck and pulled out a shard of glass from his pocket. He pushed the shard into the open wound in Elliot’s neck, scraping off more skin, and exhaled in relief when his efforts finally marred the bite marks from his fangs. Then, he partially transformed into his wolf form and tore open the veins in the wrist of his left hand with the claws in the right. He smeared his blood all over Elliot’s neck and face turning him around till the blood completely covered the golden veins. Beedie picked up a piece of Elliot’s discarded shirt on the floor and tied it around his wound. He took a moment to survey his work and nodded in satisfaction. It wasn’t perfect, but hopefully it was enough.

As soon as Beedie was done, he turned around and found the students staring at him as if he’d suddenly become a gruesome creature. Something in him snapped. “So I’m the monster now? You’re all condemning me, comparing me to Emeka, but Emeka never had to deal with what I’m dealing with! Wolves who question my authority, and a grand warlock who’s run away from her responsibilities. I’m carrying all of you on my back! I’m the only person keeping everyone in this room out of the community. You should be thanking me. You should be on your knees kissing the floor I walk on!”

“What should we thank you for? Everything your doing is to keep yourself out of trouble.”

Beedie didn’t even bother to look for who spoke. “That SS2 boy takes the blame and the worst thing that happens to him is that he gets expelled. You think that if I was to go down for this the prowl wouldn’t be here in a heartbeat, tearing you from this school, dragging you into the community and throwing anyone whose ever had the misfortune of knowing you into jail. This is how it works from now on, we protect ourselves. We do whatever is necessary to keep our marks hidden. Because if one of us is caught, we’re all done.” Beedie paused for effect. He turned his gaze, scanning every single student in the room. “Now either get with the program or get out of my sight.”

The students were shocked by the ferocity behind the words Beedie spat out. The majority of them ran out of the sickbay, but a few of them stayed. The ones who stayed were there when Ms. Flowers walked into the sickbay. They watched as she yelled at the innocent kneeling SS2 boy who was convinced of his guilt. They heard her order him to wait for her in the administrative buildings and watched while she called the hospital. They stayed there for an hour, mourning their friend, and waiting for his body to be taken away.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital (UPTH), Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The coroner snapped his fingers at his assistant. “Get me a cloth and some water.” He ordered.

“Why?” The assistant asked, as he ran around the lab to get the supplies his boss requested.

The coroner waited for the assistant before pointing at the face and neck of the body on the table in front of him. “What do you see?”

The assistant frowned. “Blood.”

“Look closer.” The coroner urged patiently. “Think about the cause of death given by the principal and then look at the blood. Now tell me what you see.”

The assistant’s eyes widened. “It looks smeared, as if it was sprayed on.” Then he frowned. “If the boy died from a wound to the neck, wouldn’t the blood have flowed out from that wound around the neck? Why would it get to the face?”

“Exactly.” The coroner praised. He wrung the cloth in the bowl of water and proceeded to wipe away the blood. “Unknowns.” The coroner muttered the colloquial name for those with hidden marks living outside the community, making it clear this wasn’t his first time seeing something like this. “They have marked students in that school. An alpha must have lost control and bitten this one. He didn’t die from exsanguination, he died from alpha venom. This death is Marked Related, we need to alert the community.”

“Didn’t they just have three MR deaths in that school?” the assistant asked. The coroner nodded. The assistant sighed and walked over to the phone.

Before the assistant could pick it up, the door to the lab opened.

Ehi walked in first and a woman walked in behind him. He didn’t give the coroner or his assistant time to cry out for help. He went into his commune mark and sent a migraine straight through their heads. The both of them passed out. “Bind them. Since our brother chose this inopportune time to fall in love, we can’t deal with them ourselves. We’ll have to call in favors with a commune aerie.” His repugnance was plain in the way he spat out the word.

Ose wasn’t much keener on the idea. “You could just kill them.” She volunteered what she believed to be a more pleasant alternative.

Ehi shook his head. “The last thing we need is to raise more suspicion.” Ehi turned to the body on the table and sneered. “Unknowns. They can’t help leaving a mess.”

“Aren’t you just dying to meet the brat.” Ose teased, stringing up the assistant.

Ehi’s faced twisted in disgust. “If this is the best she can do, then Oare’s description of her abilities is vastly exaggerated.”

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by Fazemood(m): 7:57am On Sep 07, 2018
Wow! My heartbeat increased on the realisation that Beedie's work to conceal his deed didn't go as he planned. I feared the marks will finally be hunted down eventually. Thank God for Ehi's intervention, now they are safe, at least for the main time.

Elliot didn't deserve to die, but I believe it is part of the author's plan for the story, and for a greater purpose.

Beedie is a total definition of 'Abuse Of Power' mis-using his gift to do wrong.

As for choosing between one full post a week or divided updates twice a week? I think getting a FULL PACKAGE once a week will be my choice.

Nice but heart wrecking update ObehiD

1 Like

Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by GeoSilYe(f): 10:01am On Sep 07, 2018
Wow this chapter was epiccc!!!

But Elliot dying was just sad

ObehiD I'm up for one full chapter for a week smiley
Re: The Marked:white Sight_the In Between_a Nigerian Paranormal Fantasy Fiction Book by monalicious(f): 11:03am On Sep 07, 2018
Awww. Elliot shouldn't have died. Stupid Beedie. Thanks for the update, pls one full chapter per week is better

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

I Am Done With Honorary Awards, Says Soyinka / Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer / The Pain Of Pleasure - A Must Read For Every Lady And Her Boyfriend.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 524
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.