Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,915 members, 7,806,659 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:02 PM

Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem (8818 Views)

Toyota Highlander 2003 Transmission Problem / Murano 2003: SERVICE ENGINE SOON Indicator. / Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem by Hoteph(m): 5:53pm On Jun 03, 2010
Hey Guys Please share your experience regarding mostly 2003 Murano Transmission problem.
l got this SUV last year and l have changed the transmission before leaving the car behind for my younger brother
and to my greatest dismay l was just called yesterday that the same problem has resurfaced.

While speeding the car will disengage as lf a learner just jumped from gear 4 to gear 1 while on speed the engine sound rise
and it will be indicating on the dash board CVT

Is this problem peculiar to only 2003 Murano's or is my car cursed now l need to get a replacement gear again,
Please l need technical assistance from the who cares to give cos am almost fed up with this ride,

Please advice
Re: Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem by Hoteph(m): 2:13pm On Jun 05, 2010
smiley
Re: Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem by elms: 4:03pm On Jun 05, 2010
Get the vehicle scanned first with an OBDII scanner, they are all over lagos
Re: Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem by eros(m): 4:14pm On Jun 05, 2010
Experts in the house, please give Hoteph good advise, i remember when he got this ride last year and its too early for problems to be plaguing the ride. It might scare away those of us planning to be a Murano soon. sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem by elms: 4:22pm On Jun 05, 2010
Only an autodiagnostic machine can let you know if it is a fault that can be repaired without replacing the transmission. Don't replace the transmission until u av scanned the vehicle. All the best
Re: Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem by Hoteph(m): 7:10am On Jun 06, 2010
@Elms

The scanning has been done on several occasions two pple in Abuja have confirmed its transmission problem then l took it to Kaduna based on the advice of a friend and the guy there says its Brain Box.
But l have read extensively on the internet based on the complains shared by Murano owners across the USA and it is also pointing to Transmission ,
But l was advised to go for a Brain new Transmission rather than Tokumbo,

The whole thing sucks sad
Re: Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem by KunleA2(m): 10:22am On Jun 06, 2010
As much as i am not a guru in the transmission issue (or any issue for that matter) i will like to chime in a little. The Murano uses a CVT (Continuous Variable Transmission) system. Its a little different from the traditional transmission. IT DOES REQUIRES ITS OWN FLUID!. The fluid is different and as i believe its specially made for the CVT transmission. To my understanding, it only available thru the Nissan dealers only! Although i am not too sure about that.

2003 is the new year that Nissan uses the transmission solely on the Murano. Since its the first year, there are few "teething" issues coupled with the fact that most people are not used to them a lot (especially in Naija) hence lots of problem.

Changing the transmission is one thing, caring for it is another.

If anyone is in the market for a Murano, my advise will be that you plan on getting the ORIGINAL Nissan oil for the car. Also, drain and replace the oil at the required interval. The CVT transmission uses specialized rubber banding in operation. Low fluid or contaminated fluid has a bit of negative effect on it. The traditional automatic transmission uses gears and bearings which are more tolerant.

For my $$$$, these are my other advise:

Get Infiniti FX35 - RWD (I will stay away from All Wheel drive). Just me. I can't speak for anyone else.

Get Toyota Highlander (up till 2007 still uses Regular Auto gears. Some 2007 are CVT. Some are traditional)

Get Pathfinder. No CVT yet.

Take very good care of the Murano you have as far as the transmission is concerned. No cutting corners.

Current Nissan CVT transmission are greatly improved. Just maintain what you buy. Unfortunately, in Naija, we don't do that very well.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem by larryshow4(m): 11:32am On Jun 06, 2010
@poster,

A Nissan Murano 2003 Model does have a transmission problem, this is a peculiar problem with first editions of cars, the problem of that of the Murano was rectified in the year 2005 model, Like the room has advices you get the car scanned. That would have been the best thing done. I would advice you take it directly to Nissan Company to get that done, then you can decide what can be done next.
Re: Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem by Hoteph(m): 2:28pm On Jun 06, 2010
Noted with thanks
Re: Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem by chelseabmw(m): 12:51am On Jun 07, 2010
^^^^^^^

Sorry to see u pass through this stress.I saw how u bought ur car.it is so painful that people still scam people
Re: Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem by KunleA2(m): 2:35am On Jun 07, 2010
chelseabmw:

^^^^^^^

Sorry to see u pass through this stress.I saw how u bought your car.it is so painful that people still scam people

I am kinda confused. undecided Where is the scam? I don't get it.

All 2003 have a relatively new type of transmission. It requires a more better monitoring and service fluids otherwise it will fail. It fails here too in the US if not maintained properly. So that is not the fault of the seller. There is no scam here as far as i am concerned.
Re: Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem by EEL: 4:13am On Jun 07, 2010
FOR YOUR MOBILE DIAGNOSTICS SERVICE ON YOUR CARS, CALL 08035496482 or 08055673680. We will Diagnose your Car and get back your Car in good shape anywhere (Mobile Service).

Never Neglect Lights such as; CHECK ENGINE, ABS, SRS AIRBAG, MAINTENANCE REQUIRED, TRAC ON and the rest.

We are trained for all these. (Why leave your office when we can bring our service to your doorstep?)

ALSO, Thinking about purchasing a used vehicle? Let us thoroughly INSPECT the vehicle to make sure that you aren't getting someone else’s problem by running a comprehensive diagnostics check.

Re: Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem by KunleA2(m): 1:45pm On Jun 07, 2010
Here's an Info for you.

Re: Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem by Hoteph(m): 3:03am On Jun 08, 2010
@ Kunle-A

Thanks for that piece of info. l have been there though
Re: Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem by chelseabmw(m): 6:07am On Jun 08, 2010
Kunle-A:

I am kinda confused. undecided Where is the scam? I don't get it.

All 2003 have a relatively new type of transmission. It requires a more better monitoring and service fluids otherwise it will fail. It fails here too in the US if not maintained properly. So that is not the fault of the seller. There is no scam here as far as i am concerned.

Hmmm.maybe i was too fast
Re: Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem by Hoteph(m): 2:17pm On Jun 08, 2010
@chelseabmw

You are fast indeed cool
Re: Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem by OYINBOGOJU(m): 12:18am On Jul 05, 2010
I think the problem is common to Nissan SUVS, My ARMADA 2004 is having exactly the same problem,

I have decided to change the complete Gear.
Re: Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem by Lanko0071: 1:38am On Jul 05, 2010
Kunle-A:

As much as i am not a guru in the transmission issue (or any issue for that matter) i will like to chime in a little. The Murano uses a CVT (Continuous Variable Transmission) system. Its a little different from the traditional transmission. IT DOES REQUIRES ITS OWN FLUID!. The fluid is different and as i believe its specially made for the CVT transmission. To my understanding, it only available thru the Nissan dealers only! Although i am not too sure about that.

2003 is the new year that Nissan uses the transmission solely on the Murano. Since its the first year, there are few "teething" issues coupled with the fact that most people are not used to them a lot (especially in Naija) hence lots of problem.

Changing the transmission is one thing, caring for it is another.

If anyone is in the market for a Murano, my advise will be that you plan on getting the ORIGINAL Nissan oil for the car. Also, drain and replace the oil at the required interval. The CVT transmission uses specialized rubber banding in operation. Low fluid or contaminated fluid has a bit of negative effect on it. The traditional automatic transmission uses gears and bearings which are more tolerant.

For my $$$$, these are my other advise:

Get Infiniti FX35 - RWD (I will stay away from All Wheel drive). Just me. I can't speak for anyone else.

Get Toyota Highlander (up till 2007 still uses Regular Auto gears. Some 2007 are CVT. Some are traditional)

Get Pathfinder. No CVT yet.

Take very good care of the Murano you have as far as the transmission is concerned. No cutting corners.

Current Nissan CVT transmission are greatly improved. Just maintain what you buy. Unfortunately, in Naija, we don't do that very well.

Good luck.
You really know your onions.

1 Like

Re: Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem by chelseabmw(m): 9:10pm On Jul 05, 2010
cool

(1) (Reply)

Dont Drink And Drive(see Pix) / If Nigerian Mechanics Were Doctors: / Please I Want To Buy One Of This Space Bus "Toyota Sienna Or Picnic" Pls I Need

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.