Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,242 members, 7,807,820 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:53 PM

300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned (10839 Views)

Chicken Stolen From Store, Manager Sacked / Nigerian Man Disowned By His Father For Choosing Carpentry Over Medicine Returns / Street Sweepers In Benin Stage Protest Over Non-payment Of 7 Months Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by 2Ebisco: 9:58am On Jun 18, 2018
There is confusion regarding the actual employers of the 300 street sweepers’ supervisors that were recently sacked in Lagos State, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.

Environmental Utility firm, Visionscape Sanitation Solutions Ltd (VSS) told NAN on Sunday in Lagos that the supervisors were employed for the Lagos State Government, under the Cleaner Lagos Initiative (CLI).

Mr Adebola Shabi, the Special Adviser to the Governor on CLI said the government had nothing to do with the news making the rounds that it had sacked the 300 supervisors.

Shabi said that the CLI contracted Standard Street Manpower Ltd. (SSML) on the employment of street sweepers.

According to him, Cleaner Lagos is a government initiative, not a contractor, while Visionscape is the contractor, hence, government can decide it does not want Visionscape but Cleaner Lagos will remain.

“Maybe it is Visionscape that sacked them, Cleaner Lagos has not sacked anybody.

“SSML is a consultant to the state government on engagement of sweepers but we have told them that at the end of June, all sweepers should be handed over to the Ministry of Environment.

“We don’t know any issue about the sack; I have been trying to get the information from Visionscape and they are directing me to their head office.

“The sack has nothing to do with Cleaner Lagos because we did not employ and we did not sack. Lagos State does not believe in sacking people,’’ he said.

The Head, Corporate Communications, VisionScape, Mrs Motunrayo Elias, told NAN that the company was not the only contractor under the CLI.

Elias said that when the structure for waste management was put in place, government said it wanted street sweepers to clean the inner streets, among other arrangements.

She said that the structure for street sweepers’ supervisors was also put in place, that was the arrangement between CLI, VSS and SSML, which was the company managing the street sweepers.

Elias said that the supervisors were hired by SSML but were trained by VSS and worked with VSS Area Managers, to ensure the synergy of sweeping and packing the refuse.

“Now, with the controversy about PSP operators wanting to go back to work, government said that the street sweepers should revert to them.

“So if you have taken the street sweepers, what are you going to do with their supervisors?

“When we had a meeting, the issue was brought up and government asked how much was the salary, that was where the problem started.

“Government said it cannot afford the salary, which was between N80,000 to N120,000 but can only pay N25,000 per month.

“So the company paid the supervisors their disengagement bonuses, with Visionscape paying them two months’ salaries, while government was trying to decide.

“For fact, the supervisors were supposed to be transferred to the Ministry of Environment. It was a labour contract from the CLI,’’ she said.

Elias said that the structure that was put in place for waste management in the state injected income to the economy, as people were better off.

She said that it was essential to take the good with the bad, as nobody talked about the good that the whole system was doing when it was creating employment.

NAN reports that the disengagement letters to the supervisors was signed by the Head, Human Resources and Administration, SSML, Oluwatoyin Ayoola.

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/06/300-sacked-lagos-street-sweepers.html

Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by thanki410(m): 10:32am On Jun 18, 2018
Lairs ,
you sacked a sub branch that has people under them and expect their workers not to get affected.....
Haba , such denial that they knw nothing of such is a little to deep a lie

3 Likes

Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by Teewhy2: 7:18am On Jun 20, 2018
Government sha , person earning 80 - 120 k monthly you said you can pay him more than 25k, these are people who are finished tertiary institution so what is the hope of the Nigeria youths.
O GOD please make a way for me and relocate my family to where the works of their Labour will be appreciated and paid for appropriately.

Senegalese jollof rice is better than Nigerian jollof rice, argue with your super eagles players.

9 Likes

Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by Exwizard: 7:18am On Jun 20, 2018
You want to pay 25k for grown up workers in Lagos state, it will never be well with our politicians.........

10 Likes

Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by wonuks(m): 7:18am On Jun 20, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by wonuks(m): 7:18am On Jun 20, 2018
Too bad

Still looking for a beautiful and mobile friendly website design for your business or organization? No advanced payments required. Check my signature. Only serious people please*
Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by Timoleon(m): 7:18am On Jun 20, 2018
Nigerians can know there is problem when even government is outsourcing for staff. Directly or indirectly, I still feel Cleaner Lagos Initiative is responsible. After years of paying fees higher than normal to patrons who own SSML and vision scope, its now they found out they can no longer pay more than 2500? What did they expect? The company fetching staff for you would always inflate salaries so as to get a fat cut.

I might be wrong though.

3 Likes

Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by Tintinnoty(m): 7:19am On Jun 20, 2018
In one word, you gave 300 people hope and dashed it in a twinkle of an eye.

And this man is saying AMBO LEKAN SI

3 Likes

Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by Jethrolite(m): 7:19am On Jun 20, 2018
Nigeria my country.
Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by gbengaoyeladun(m): 7:21am On Jun 20, 2018
I also notice this that I don't see all this woman again on my way to work.

2 Likes

Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by jtjohn(m): 7:21am On Jun 20, 2018
This country self
Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by Jokerman(m): 7:22am On Jun 20, 2018
Why are you lying, Oga government
Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by Yinxies(f): 7:22am On Jun 20, 2018
Instead of trying to create more jobs, you are there sacking more...

3 Likes

Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by Irohjohnpaulc(m): 7:22am On Jun 20, 2018
De should come and seek for justice

Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by Teeisaac(m): 7:23am On Jun 20, 2018
After cutting d head can d p-r-i-k function yeye people
Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by freemanbubble: 7:23am On Jun 20, 2018
the suffering has began
Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by bigerboy200: 7:23am On Jun 20, 2018
Dem sack supervisors but retained the seeepers..chaai
Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by Authoreety: 7:24am On Jun 20, 2018
Wicked
Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by olaniputu: 7:26am On Jun 20, 2018
oya omenkalives come and lick yeroba Muslim asss as usual cheesy
Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by cbngov01(m): 7:27am On Jun 20, 2018
Lagos that is now dirtier than aba! And u are still sacking cleaners....kwontinue! Thats the only area i know AMBO did not upgrade on FASH's legacies.infact, lagos regressed in terms of lagos cleanliness
Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by NoToPile: 7:28am On Jun 20, 2018
Interesting read.

As far as I am concerned the problem with this initiative started when the so called SSML put their hands in this matter which also led to the overall crash of the initiative. If visionscape HR had handled the supervisors as they had from the beginning without contracting/transfering it out to ssml (who knows maybe they were practically mact the supervisor out to SSML too so they too will chop small money) things would have not been like this.

Even Doheny services that started the recruitment process 2 years ago would have handled this better ( very professional coy) they placed the advert without mentioning the coy name back then.

SSML started the magomago unfortunately visionscape is dragged into this mess.

Ssml was the on that started replacing supervisors that were already trained by people who had long leg( and had no idea of the job desciption). A HR company that will send you date and venue without sending the time, you have to send text to ask for time before they resend the whole message to everyone, they will send and recall mails immediately as if those they are dealing with have not been through recruitment processes before.

By the way the salary is not between 80 -120 k. The amount ssml paid supervisors was 80k meanwhile they had heared vibes that it was 120k visionscape was to pay each supervisor so the so called ssml was scraping 40k from each supervisor, I guess that's the reason why visionscape spokesperson said between 80-120k. I also heared that when the were disengaged ssml offered the supervisors 1 month salary meanwhile when visionscape spoke they said they paid 2months.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by SheikhMuniru(m): 7:35am On Jun 20, 2018
UNEMPLOYMENT LOOMING
Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by Johnrake69: 7:51am On Jun 20, 2018
Working a whole month for #25,000.

1 Like

Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by uuzba(m): 7:54am On Jun 20, 2018
Tintinnoty:
In one word, you gave 300 people hope and dashed it in a twinkle of an eye

This is how our government campaigns with statements like: 1 million jobs will be provided for the youth.
.... when they have no plan to sustain the employment with salaries.
Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by Teacher1776(m): 7:56am On Jun 20, 2018
Well,
Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by rhektor(m): 7:59am On Jun 20, 2018
The government has nothing to do with the news making rounds? Plausible deniability our government will lie without any remorse Chai, government contracted the job, the writer even wrote that it was a Labour contract and then government has nothing to do with it all of sudden? Naija I hail o
Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by paroleski(m): 8:16am On Jun 20, 2018
Can't politicians ever be straight forward in this country? Now everyone is denying the supervisors, Visionscape forgot they were the ones who employed them and even trained them countless times. Before forcefully transferring them to SSML.

Let us note that those hardworking supervisors resigned from their previous place of work to ensure the dream of a cleaner Lagos is actualized.

Let us note that at the issuance of the redundancy letter, they were paid one month, not two(as they claim)

If they say they can afford only N25,000. Why did they seek out graduates to take up the roles of supervisors.?

The image LASG is creating over this is bad, and I hope something is done quickly to correct this injustice on the part of the graduate supervisors.

3 Likes

Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by opydan: 8:42am On Jun 20, 2018
“The sack has nothing to do with Cleaner Lagos because we did not employ and we did not sack. Lagos State does not believe in sacking people,’’ he said.

Lies everywhere.

What of so many workers in contract worker in phcs in under contract for 5yrs sacked last year because they protested for 8 months allowance not paid. The government used them for 5yrs promising regularization every year. So also in other department and ministries. There is God

1 Like

Re: 300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned by phanthom33: 8:53am On Jun 20, 2018
Tired of Your Website Embarrassing Your Business? Get the Best WEB DESIGN EXPERIENCE

1) We build powerful websites, mobile apps, and seemless web applications
2) We're affordable.
3) We are friendly.
4) We're honest.
5) You're the BOSS

Why don't you contact us now and be OUR NEXT BOSS?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should I Quit My Job To Pursue More Education ? / Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job / A Career As A Lecturer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.