Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,006 members, 7,806,922 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:02 AM

Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing (36436 Views)

20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making / Three Friends And Their Careers: The Grammatical Errors At Back Of A Story Book / Grammatical Errors That Welcomed President Buhari Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by Mac2016(m): 11:25am On Jun 20, 2018
SamySamy123:
 1.  At and About

Note that the sentence, "I shall expect you at about five o'clock" is wrong. It should rather be "I shall expect you about five o'clock". 

Reason: 
"At" applies a definite time, and "about" applies to an approximate time. So, using at about is juxtaposition of two unlikes, and should be avoided. You can only say: "I shall expect you at or about five o'clock".

2. Try And

Many a time, people use "try and" when they actually mean "try to". Logically, if you "try and do something", you  have to first of all try,  which is to make a general attempt, and finding out how do. After trying and finding how to do, you then do it. Thus, there are two actions involve, to try and to do.

On the other hand, "try to" implies the single combination of trying and doing. So, learn not to confuse the two today. 

3.  All Right

Note that, while already, almost, almighty and altogether, are right, it is wrong to say "alright". However, there is no reason for this. But if you want your grammar to be absolutely correct, you must use "all right".

4. Misuse of That

It is quite pathetic that most people use the word "That" as an emphatic adverb.

Examples:

"I had no idea the house was that small"

"If the weather is that bad, you had better stay at home"

This use of "That" is wrong and should be avoided. The correct forms of the above sentences are:

"I had no idea that the house was as small as that".

"If the weather is as bad as that, you had better stay at home".

5.  Ought To

Note that the construction " He ought to, didn't he?" is very wrong. Its correct form is "He ought to, oughtn't he?".

I know this sound absurd. But no doubt, it is the correct form. 

6. Parallel With

It should be noted that two lines can not be "parallel to". They can only be "parallel with" each other. So, don't say parallel to from today hence forth.

7.  Averse To

Sometimes, people say they are "averse to". Meaning that they dislike. However, this is very wrong. You cannot be averse to anything, because the suffix "to" signify approach, when the opposite is intended. 

The correct form of "being averse to something" is "being averse from".

8. Moot Point

Note that the word "moot" does not mean the same as "mute". While the word mute simply mean silence, moot is an Anglo-Saxon town assembly, or court of justice which was a moot or mote, while the meaning place was the moot hall. 

9. USE TO

When people make sentences like "He used to live in Lagos" meaning he formerly lived in Lagos, it is quite understood and correct.

But where they say this negatively or in past tense, they make mistakes. Examples:

"He didn't use to live in Lagos".

"Did he use to live in Lagos?".

The correct forms of the above are:

"He use not to live in Lagos".

"Used he to live in Lagos".

Reason: 
"Used to" is a peculiar idiom itself, and there is no point making its variation even more peculiar.

10. Xmas

The only reason why the word "Xmas" can be tolerated is because, "X" was a Greek word for Jesus Christ. Writers who intentionally use "Xmas" having be said to be merely lazy. The most formal form is "Christmas"

Source:
https://www.learnersinfo.com/2018/04/wrong-grammers-nigerians-always-use.html?m=0

Nice post; great effort. I learnt from it

But on these below...

[6]Parallel with...seemingly "parallel to" is acceptable in some instances especially if you're point out difference e.g

"...his political views are parallel to ours!"

[7] Averse to...seems confusing

Those who are totally averse to spicy food often can’t do a hot chicken place at all, and Party Fowl offers a traditional Southern fried chicken with no spice at all, a nice alternative.

Larry Olmsted, USA TODAY, "The Nashville Hot Chicken spot for everyone," 7 June 2018

[8] Moot point; moot is used to signify dead-end or point where progress cannot be made. (An MIT Prof. replied my msg using that word in the manner I stated so, I think he might be right).

[9] Used to...also so confusing
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by jimohomotayo(m): 11:33am On Jun 20, 2018
You ought not to have told him
oughtn't u?

undecided undecided undecided
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by steve6: 11:51am On Jun 20, 2018
Nice
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by apex4545(m): 12:07pm On Jun 20, 2018
Who correct english help? Will it put food on my table? Mtcheeeeew!!!
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by Justinlean02(m): 12:11pm On Jun 20, 2018
zealz4u:
English language is too complicated. These days is all about wat u can offer, how good u are at wat u do, u don't necessarily need to speak good English to be successful, a little ability to read, write, and communicate in English can take u far. The hustle dis days does not need too much good and correct English all the time.

Think smart, work smart ur hustle will surely pay with or without correct English.

WORD...
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by ictCT2UMS: 12:23pm On Jun 20, 2018
READY TO BE A WEB APP WITH FOCUS IN PYTHON?

GET 100% PRACTICAL TRAINING

Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by JULI3BAE: 1:52pm On Jun 20, 2018
abeg check dat your ought and use wella cry
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by taofeeq137(m): 2:36pm On Jun 20, 2018
Fuckyoumod:
why won't you be guilty ? You go school? No be amajiri school you go?
grin grin grin

Bros.... Na play I dey play ooh.

Lmao

I been go almajiri school one time tho grin grin
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by hawksford: 2:52pm On Jun 20, 2018
SamySamy123:

7.  Averse To

Sometimes, people say they are "averse to". Meaning that they dislike. However, this is very wrong. You cannot be averse to anything, because the suffix "to" signify approach, when the opposite is intended. 

The correct form of "being averse to something" is "being averse from".

Source:
https://www.learnersinfo.com/2018/04/wrong-grammers-nigerians-always-use.html?m=0

OP, Good job,

but... You're wrong on this (Dictionary : WordWeb)
Do make due corrections please.

Picture not loading though
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by samlake(m): 7:59pm On Jun 20, 2018
let me just get money with the little i understand.
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by Nobody: 1:48am On Jun 21, 2018
SheikhMuniru:
I AM NOT THEIR, IS IT CORRECT?

Their, there, and they're are tricky. Very common to get mixed up.

Their is used as a pronoun. Meaning belonging to someone. For instance, " i would like to use their phone."
There is used as a noun ( place). for instance. " you can set the plate there"
They're is used as a conj[/s]unc[s]tion. Contaction.(sorry)
They're is the short version of they are. For instance' " they're due to arrive by midnight.
Hope this helps.
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by Jagz16(m): 4:23am On Jun 21, 2018
Who this help biko

Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:21pm On Jul 19, 2018
Georgry:
OK
People quoting and this illiterate little boy is quoting us too.
Not only devine na Delphin.
Illiterate in the village embarrassing himself online.
See as him be.
Ewu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by Georgry(m): 2:03pm On Jul 19, 2018
post=69520652:

People quoting and this illiterate little boy is quoting us too.
Not only devine na Delphin.
Illiterate in the village embarrassing himself online.
See as him be.
Ewu

with due respect sir, you're mad!!
I don't think you know the meaning of illiterate, because if you do you won't use that word for me. I'm a student sir, and apart from that I've got business to do with my precious time!.I am not like you, a foolish, jobless and an educated illiterate....
you think having a degree guarantee success? that's why you're fooling yourself.
go get a life you idiot.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Terrible State Of Irepodun High School, Ipao Ekiti Ikole LGA, Ekiti State / List Of Illegal Degree Awarding Institutions Operating In Nigeria. / Is Kwasu The State University With The Highest Tuition Fee In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.