Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,999 members, 7,806,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:39 AM

Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. (15011 Views)

13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings / Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. / 4 Nigerian Slangs Currently Making The Rounds On Social Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by gregyboy(m): 3:44pm On Jun 24, 2018
Sinistami:

Yes I noticed this from a Benin friend although he's parents are from Warri. he was born and raised in Benin. when he came to Yenagoa I noticed him getting lost in our pidgin slangs so I told him "you de looseguard how u no go know wetin Ofurukpe be? you weh na Pure Benin man no bi dia bi center for pidgin?" and then he said Benin all this slangs no de we na pure pidgin we de speak. and I was wondering how is it pure pidgin. lol at dat Slang Skul me in Yenagoa we say Learn me lol although it's sort of a blunder we still say it. but I think if pidgin is standardized Baffi would be the standard one. but sometimes slangwords do turn standard too. To me the places were pidgin is spoken as a first Language speaks it correctly that is the Core Nigerdelta which is Delta Bayelsa and Rivers and although they have much slangs Edo is just right in the middle in the perfect balance of not having much Tribal junk and not having much slang junk either.

I have heard many pidgin english in nigeria i notice difference in them especially niger delta thier pidgin english is of balance lacks grammer and construction it full of slangs and tribal words
Here are d diff btw an edo pidgin and others
Americans: o boy
Rivers: o men,
Yorubas: omo
Edosshocked boy
Ibos: una men...
And so others edo pidgin is still not perfect but to
The others i have heard it is ....

Some pple dont know that pidgin can be corrected speaking enough pidgin slangs or speaking a bristish english grammer does not guarantee you speak a good english or pidgin
As for me if pidgin english is to be official it should be edo any tribe can adopt to it within a short period of time its easily understandable to the rest .....
I don't know for the baffi if its more suitable than the edos then we should consider it official then
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 1:42pm On Jun 25, 2018
gregyboy:

I have heard many pidgin english in nigeria i notice difference in them especially niger delta thier pidgin english is of balance lacks grammer and construction it full of slangs and tribal words
Edosshocked boy

Some pple dont know that pidgin can be corrected speaking enough pidgin slangs or speaking a bristish english grammer does not guarantee you speak a good english or pidgin
As for me if pidgin english is to be official it should be edo any tribe can adopt to it within a short period of time its easily understandable to the rest .....
I don't know for the baffi if its more suitable than the edos then we should consider it official then

Aboy Edo pidgin is Baffi that's what I meant. Baffi is the name of dialect of pidgin spoken in Benin Edo. Warri's own is called Waffi Sapele's own is called Saffy. Yenagoa's own is called Yeniz.
I don't still understand why you listed America there
undecided
gregyboy:

Edosshocked boy

Aboy Edo pidgin is Baffi that's what I meant. Baffi is the name of dialect of pidgin spoken in Benin Edo. Warri's own is called Waffi Sapele's own is called Saffy. Yenagoa's own is called Yeniz.
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by gregyboy(m): 9:32pm On Jun 25, 2018
[/quote]

Now i get you...i never knew there is a name for a particular pidgin baffi cool

Are u u edo
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by gregyboy(m): 9:39pm On Jun 25, 2018
Sinistami:

undecided

ote]

Are u u edo
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 10:26pm On Jun 25, 2018
gregyboy:

ote]

Are u u edo

Nope Iam proudly Bayelsan Straight outta Yentown. And their is another thing I want to say The pidgin spoken in ND isn't ungramatical as to the unwritten rules of Pidgin the ones that are ungramatical are the ones spoken in the other Regions because there it's not a first or native language there and most hardly speak it. The thing is that assuming Baffi is the standard version the variant with the received pronunciation then the pidgin dialects spoken in the deep south can be compared to Edo the way many English dialects spoken in the British Isles are compared to Queens English the one which is seen as more received. because the other English dialects are in many ways difficult to understand which is different from queens English which is just Simple.
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 5:33pm On Jul 29, 2018
To add a few

Blah: Smoke

cover : Slap

lace: Shoot

Nyanch man: Gay

Nyanch girl: Lesbian

Okpo: Prostitute

You use soap?: A Sarcastic reply to "You Don baff? ". Popular in Yenagoa.

Gem: weed

E weigh: Makes a lot of sense

Catch fame: Going famous

Yu no get breeze for yanch: Yu got no guts.

injekena: A person that tells a lot of tall tales.

1 Like

Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by zubike01(m): 9:52pm On Apr 07, 2020
Baba, I would like to see you translate the highlighted area to Pidgin. It’s a page from my Novel -DON’T JOIN

Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by darfay: 2:08am On Apr 08, 2020
So this is the rubbish that is causing the death of our native languages?

If you must speak English, speak it properly!!!
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by IamAtikulate: 1:33pm On Apr 08, 2020
zubike01:
Baba, I would like to see you translate the highlighted area to Pidgin. It’s a page from my Novel -DON’T JOIN
I am not endorsing cultism, since it is for educational purpose here is my little help.

"who goes?

Na me Norwich (state his real name), vikantical Aro Mighty One a rugged sailor or you can use the rugged son of Odin, one time Eastman, one time Pilot, current StrikeChief, zone 10.10.80 Marin patrol, currently sailing ABC onboard Santa Golgotha marine patrol (or any university deck) as Arch man .

ABC means he is still in school and a cultist and there is nothing like quarter master either you meant Sailing Skipper or Duffman (position 3 and 4) arch man is position 2 after Executioner. Since your character is not a student, use... Current Arch man Santa Golgotha towndeck.

What this means is that he is number 6 in Zone 10 marine and number 2 in Santa Golgotha town deck. That is he is sailing onboard two ships. It is allowed.

There is nothing like member Intel 5.5, if Intel 5.5 is a specialized group or strike group within a deck use Cartel instead..

Something like ...norwich dim, vikantical Aro Smoking Viper, (or any name you can think of), onboard... Marin patrol, Intel 5.5 cartel
....... ..
The above are basic, an experienced cultist will add more ID to show how OT rugged he is. They sing their praises.
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by zubike01(m): 9:45pm On Apr 09, 2020
IamAtikulate:

I am not endorsing cultism, since it is for educational purpose here is my little help.

"who goes?

Na me Norwich (state his real name), vikantical Aro Mighty One a rugged sailor or you can use the rugged son of Odin, one time Eastman, one time Pilot, current StrikeChief, zone 10.10.80 Marin patrol, currently sailing ABC onboard Santa Golgotha marine patrol (or any university deck) as Arch man .

ABC means he is still in school and a cultist and there is nothing like quarter master either you meant Sailing Skipper or Duffman (position 3 and 4) arch man is position 2 after Executioner. Since your character is not a student, use... Current Arch man Santa Golgotha towndeck.

What this means is that he is number 6 in Zone 10 marine and number 2 in Santa Golgotha town deck. That is he is sailing onboard two ships. It is allowed.

There is nothing like member Intel 5.5, if Intel 5.5 is a specialized group or strike group within a deck use Cartel instead..

Something like ...norwich dim, vikantical Aro Smoking Viper, (or any name you can think of), onboard... Marin patrol, Intel 5.5 cartel
....... ..
The above are basic, an experienced cultist will add more ID to show how OT rugged he is. They sing their praises.

Wow you went a bit deeper than I expected but it’s all good. It’s very educative and yes. I made a lot stuff up, because I don’t want an innocent wanna be to start capping and become victim of impersonation. I expected you to use the-same words but in pidgin. My pidgin is Lagos pidgin.

“Na you na who?”

Instanta, I echoed “ Na me, Na me .... but yeah I noticed concerting stuff from pidgin to English and vice versa isn’t that easy.

Thanks a lot I enjoy reading your post. I learnt something new like ’Form Stunch: Act tough’ among others.

The funny thing in Sierra Leone, creole which is their own version of pidgin is taught in school. But here we are someone is claiming that pidgin is killing our local language how.

1 Like

Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by IamAtikulate: 10:48am On Apr 10, 2020
zubike01:

Wow you went a bit deeper than I expected but it’s all good. It’s very educative and yes. I made a lot stuff up, because I don’t want an innocent wanna be to start capping and become victim of impersonation. I expected you to use the-same words but in pidgin. My pidgin is Lagos pidgin.

“Na you na who?”

Instanta, I echoed “ Na me, Na me .... but yeah I noticed concerting stuff from pidgin to English and vice versa isn’t that easy.

Thanks a lot I enjoy reading your post. I learnt something new like ’Form Stunch: Act tough’ among others.

The funny thing in Sierra Leone, creole which is their own version of pidgin is taught in school. But here we are someone is claiming that pidgin is killing our local language how.

Sierra Leone?

That's nice.
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 10:24am On Apr 20, 2020
zubike01:

“Na you na who?”

Leave that one Abeg o! E no know say when e come to language nothing like good or bad de.
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 10:26am On Apr 20, 2020
zubike01:

“Na you na who?”

Man he just said translate it to pidgin he didn't say translate it to OT. This one is too deep na.. Although its all good. Kudos for that sha.
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Sinistami(m): 10:47am On Apr 20, 2020
zubike01:

Lemme try this one is more like the Bayelsa own.

Goes there?

Na once nai me I answer. "Omo na me o! Aboy mighty... Odin pikin.... One time dis one, One time dat one... Currently strike chief sailing onboard Adaka Boro marine... Goes the ointa? " Dem come contact, close mouth de look captain k say make im sef ID show himself.

But I put am for dem body. "I say who goes the Ointa? "

Pressure bin de the way I take talk am, like say say raksin wan commence.

Dem con kpor me, one con talk say. "Na me, Dim. Devoted son of Odin. 5.55 Cartel.

Na I bust for am. "Wetin be your rank? "

E con reply- Current klaint.

Na I look am like say I de para con say. " Come on pay me my salama. "
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by zubike01(m): 7:32pm On Apr 26, 2020
Sinistami:

Lemme try this one is more like the Bayelsa own.

Goes there?

Na once nai me I answer. "Omo na me o! Aboy mighty... Odin pikin.... One time dis one, One time dat one... Currently strike chief sailing onboard Adaka Boro marine... Goes the ointa? " Dem come contact, close mouth de look captain k say make im sef ID show himself.

But I put am for dem body. "I say who goes the Ointa? "

Pressure bin de the way I take talk am, like say say raksin wan commence.

Dem con kpor me, one con talk say. "Na me, Dim. Devoted son of Odin. 5.55 Cartel.

Na I bust for am. "Wetin be your rank? "

E con reply- Current klaint.

Na I look am like say I de para con say. " Come on pay me my salama. "

Nice one
Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by maxxrules: 10:38am On Jun 18, 2022
Sinistami:
To add a few

Blah: Smoke

cover : Slap

lace: Shoot

Nyanch man: Gay

Nyanch girl: Lesbian

Okpo: Prostitute

You use soap?: A Sarcastic reply to "You Don baff? ". Popular in Yenagoa.

Gem: weed

E weigh: Makes a lot of sense

Catch fame: Going famous

Yu no get breeze for yanch: Yu got no guts.

injekena: A person that tells a lot of tall tales.

What is the meaning of akpikor

Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by Ologbo147: 2:58pm On Jun 18, 2022
NO 14- Okada. It entered into the pidgin lexicon to mean the motorcycle. It is the name of a Bini town in Edo state. An indigene of that town founded the first private airline in Nigeria. The airline was seen as swift, the motorcycle came in around the same time, those who could not afford the ticket to travel started attributing the name of the airline to their substitute and alternative which is also swift on land and with the ability to manuevre between hold ups and go slow. Then the name stuck. That is how it came to be known as okada in the greater part of Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. by AreaFada2: 6:39pm On Jun 18, 2022
Ologbo147:

NO 14- Okada. It entered into the pidgin lexicon to mean the motorcycle. It is the name of a Bini town in Edo state. An indigene of that town founded the first private airline in Nigeria. The airline was seen as swift, the motorcycle came in around the same tiwhime, those who could not afford the ticket to travel started attributing the name of the airline to their substitute and alternative which is also swift on land and with the ability to manuevre between hold ups and go slow. Then the name stuck. That is how it came to be known as okada in the greater part of Nigeria
Actually pidgin has a very long history in Benin. It was actually Portuguese based pidgin that some people spoke in Benin. As it was going out of use British colonisation came. Therefore the Pidgin English in Benin today blended the old Portuguese words in.

For example, we say "Adesuwa too dey do oversabi". Well, sabi is from saber, a Portuguese word (from Latin word sabere) meaning "to know".

As a kid, I would hear old papa saying "Amadin, go bring that kalaka to pour this ogoro/udegbotor for Papa Agbontaen", especially if non-indigenes were also present. Well, kalaka comes from the word Caneca, which is Portuguese word for a mug/cup.
So Benin Pidgin is not a new invention where you just willy-nilly puts new slangs into the language. The Portuguese pidgin was once a commercial/business Language spoken by some of the elite/mercantile class and their assistants.

(1) (2) (Reply)

This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. / Kano Anti-corruption Agency Halts Probe On Emir Sanusi / Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.