Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,203 members, 7,780,361 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:02 PM

Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine (9838 Views)

Things I Got For 75k In Ado Ekiti. / 150 Hrs Cook-A-Thon: Ondo Chef Deo Sleeps After Cooking For Over 80 Hrs (Video) / Lady Wins Pounded Yam Eating Competition In Ekiti (Photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by Probz(m): 3:36am On Jun 21, 2018
Following on from another thread.

cc.9jakool

Let’s talk about indigenous foods from Eastern Yorubaland and Ekiti.

I’ll go.

Isapa soup
Ondo Town okro soup (the standard version)
Pounded yam and efo riro
Pupuru
Eweta (Marugbo) soup
Ekuu Odede (Ondo-style ukpo ogede/plantain mai mai)

That’s all I know off the top of my head. Anyone who knows about these cuisines can add more.

How common are standard Yoruba foods (all red and green shades of ayamase, dodo, ...) in these parts? I know ayamase’s more associated with Egba/Ogun people.

1 Like

Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by orisa37: 4:39am On Jun 21, 2018
Beware of Fulani Herdsmen in all these cuisines
Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by 9jakool: 7:31am On Jun 22, 2018
@Probz

Ondo, Ekiti and Ijebu have very colorful cuisines.

Amuyale- This dish is from Ondo and it's grated water yams wrapped and steamed in plantain leaves
Ojojo- Fried grated water yams from Ijebuland. It's commonly eaten for breakfast.
Obe eyen/Obe eyin - Yoruba version of banga soup.
Obe gbanunu- Aromatic soup made from a varierity of herbs like efirin from Ondo.
Obe koowu- This is one the most "bizarre" soup to an average Nigerian. It's made from the seeds of the cotton plant.

1 Like

Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by Probz(m): 7:42am On Jun 22, 2018
9jakool:
@Probz

Amuyale- This dish is from Ondo and it's grated water yams wrapped and steamed in plantain leaves
Ojojo- Fried grated water yams from Ijebuland. It's commonly eaten for breakfast.
Obe gbanunu- Aromatic soup made from a varierity of herbs like efurin from Ondo.
Obe koowu- This is one the most "bizarre" soup to an average Nigerian. It's made from the seeds of the cotton plant.

Is the last one not owo soup?

1 Like

Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by 9jakool: 8:21am On Jun 22, 2018
Probz:

Is the last one not owo soup?
Are you talking about owo soup from Edo or the town?
Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by Probz(m): 12:43pm On Jun 22, 2018
9jakool:

Are you talking about owo soup from Edo or the town?

I’m talking about the resemblance between the last soup you mentioned and owo soup since they’re both made from cotton

1 Like

Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by ADUKKY(f): 1:33pm On Jun 22, 2018
9jakool:
@Probz

Obe gbanunu- Aromatic soup made from a varierity of herbs like efurin from Ondo.
I think amuyale is also known as Ebiripo. I school in Ago iwoye, i remember laughing when the hawkers chant their wares, you hear something like Iboriiii o. Ikokore is also peculiar to the ijebus and they also have their way of cooking their egusi, if you are easily irritated you may nt be able to eat it but very sweet.
Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by Ederahobaby(f): 4:06pm On Jun 22, 2018
Probz:

I’m talking about the resemblance between the last soup you mentioned and owo soup since they’re both made from cotton
owo soup is not made from cotton oh
Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by 9jakool: 5:40pm On Jun 22, 2018
Probz:

I don't think owo soup is made from cotton.
Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by 9jakool: 5:48pm On Jun 22, 2018
ADUKKY:

I think amuyale is also known as Ebiripo. I school in Ago iwoye, i remember laughing when the hawkers chant their wares, you hear something like Iboriiii o. Ikokore is also peculiar to the ijebus and they also have their way of cooking their egusi, if you are easily irritated you may nt be able to eat it but very sweet.

Yes, you are right. It's the same thing but with different names.

I forgot to mention egusi ijebu, garri ijebu, and ikokore.
Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by ewa26: 6:30am On Jun 26, 2018
9jakool:

pls, is there a difference between how Ibo and Yoruba tribes of nigeria cook jellof rice, which one too sweet pass hon
Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by anonymuz(m): 4:28pm On Jun 28, 2018
Ederahobaby:
owo soup is not made from cotton oh
it made from cotton seed
Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by ewa26: 12:59pm On Jul 03, 2018
anonymuz:
it made from cotton seed
hi hon, is there a way the Yoruba and Ibo tribe’s of Nigeria cook the jollof rice, and do old ibo women cook party jollof rice and lastly which tribe in Nigeria is Jellof rice most associated with

I really do appreciate u answer ok
Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by ewa26: 12:59pm On Jul 03, 2018
ADUKKY:

hi hon, is there a way the Yoruba and Ibo tribe’s of Nigeria cook the jollof rice, and do old ibo women cook party jollof rice and lastly which tribe in Nigeria is Jellof rice most associated with

Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by anonymuz(m): 7:38am On Jul 04, 2018
ewa26:

I believe anybody can make jolof rice depending on you pocket and recipes. Believe me or not party rice dey sweet for ibo land o
Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by ewa26: 9:40am On Jul 04, 2018
anonymuz:
I believe anybody can make jolof rice depending on you pocket and recipes. Believe me or not party rice dey sweet for ibo land o
ok Tnx dear, but what the difference between how Ibo and Yoruba ppl cook jollof rice, I heard ibo women only cook local rice with palm oil na crayfish
Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by Mariangeles(f): 2:16pm On Jul 04, 2018
ewa26:
ok Tnx dear, but what the difference between how Ibo and Yoruba ppl cook jollof rice, I heard ibo women only cook local rice with palm oil na crayfish
No, We cook our jollof in a more special way.
We finish up the cooking with peas, sweet corn or any vegetable combination...it's called vegetable jollof!
Happy??
Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by ewa26: 2:34pm On Jul 04, 2018
Mariangeles:
No, We cook our jollof in a more special way.
We finish up the cooking with peas, sweet corn or any vegetable combination...it's called vegetable jollof!
Happy??

ok tnx dear, erm do Igbo people tend to add the krayfish to their rice more than yoruba and how long has jellof rice been cooked in Ibo land in the modern sense
Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by Mariangeles(f): 3:04pm On Jul 04, 2018
ewa26:

ok tnx dear, erm do Igbo people tend to add the krayfish to their rice more than yoruba and how long has jellof rice been cooked in Ibo land in the modern sense
Apart from jollof rice, we have banga (palm fruit) rice with traditional spices and ingredients... Jollof rice has been cooked as long as I can remember
Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by ewa26: 3:29pm On Jul 04, 2018
Mariangeles:
Apart from jollof rice, we have banga (palm fruit) rice with traditional spices and ingredients... Jollof rice has been cooked as long as I can remember

Ok Tnx dear, and what’s the colour of jollof rice like in Igboland, pale yellow or deep red
Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by Mariangeles(f): 4:00pm On Jul 04, 2018
ewa26:

Ok Tnx dear, and what’s the colour of jollof rice like in Igboland, pale yellow or deep red
Jollof rice =red/orange
Banga rice = yellow/mustard
Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by ewa26: 6:52am On Jul 05, 2018
Mariangeles:
Jollof rice =red/orange
Banga rice = yellow/mustard

ok Tnx dear, erm lastly now is there a way different states in d ibolamd cook jallof rice

say anambra vs. enugu, owerri vs. awka
Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by Mariangeles(f): 8:58am On Jul 05, 2018
ewa26:

ok Tnx dear, erm lastly now is there a way different states in d ibolamd cook jallof rice

say anambra vs. enugu, owerri vs. awka
No!
Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by ewa26: 12:47am On Jul 20, 2018
anonymuz:
which tribe in nigeira makes the best jollof/is Jellof rice most associated with, erm what’s the difference between Ibo and Yoruba and is part jollof like popular in Ibo land
Re: Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine by Probz(m): 8:13pm On Sep 06, 2018
9jakool:

You got anything to say for traditional Oyo/Ibadan food 9jakool?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Three Crowns Milk Rewards Mums In ‘Cook For Mum’ Mother’s Day Campaign / Download Your Maggi Cook Book Here ♨ / Yought, What Is Real Taste?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.