Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,333 members, 7,780,871 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:23 AM

Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment (11215 Views)

80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report / Why Nigerian Youths Need To Make The Transition From Graduate To Apprentice / Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable And Solutions To The Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by JARUSHUB: 12:44pm On Jun 21, 2018
Uchechi Moses

The typical recruitment processes into good firms in Nigeria go thus:

- Aptitude tests (See how to pass aptitude tests and aptitude tests used by Nigerian banks);
- Personality tests
- Assessment centers or group discussion
- Interview, interview chat and;
- Finally, an offer subject to passing a medical test (See diseases that can make one fail a medical test and jobs: hepatitis and medical tests).

Like we have always noted, the labour market is extremely competitive in Nigeria, and the recruitment processes keep changing. As listed as above, there are many stages in a typical recruitment process to a get a good job in a firm in the country. One of such is the personality test. Types include the situational judgement test, occupational personality questionnaire etc.

Companies have come to realise that it is expensive recruiting people and having their personalities not aligned to the work environment. The work environment is different from the academic environment and assessing for this is an important factor in a recruitment process. In order to reduce bias in the process, firms utilise personality tests to effectively gauge candidates’ suitability for the work place. As a result, the tests are delivered online where candidates can login from anywhere they are. The verified results are collated and compared to others, thereby ensuring the process is sped up and candidates’ answers aligns with company’s plans.

Basically, personality tests – like the name connotes – assesses candidates’ personality, character and attitudinal attributes to work-related scenarios. Top Nigerian companies across various industries use this form of test during their recruitment processes, especially for graduate/entry level positions. Examples include but not limited to PwC, KPMG, StanbicIBTC, First Bank, Shell, Seplat, BAT, GTB, Cardinal Stone, PZ Cussons, Friesland Campina, Olam, Nigerian Stock Exchange etc.

In a typical personality test exercise, there are a number of possible actions that are suggested. There are usually around 4 or 5 actions but this varies depending on the test maker. It is the candidate’s job to choose amongst these possible options and judge which is the most effective course of action to take and therefore which action they would take if faced with this situation. Personality tests are always multiple-choice; no answers other than the options listed are allowed.

Finally, while preparing to scale aptitude tests and other hurdles in the recruitment process; also be prepared to fine-tune your personality to what the firm desires. As failing a personality test gets you a regret mail.

http://www.jraushub.com/why-companies-use-personality-tests-in-recruitment/

L

Re: Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by Pabloosas(m): 3:29pm On Jun 21, 2018
cheesy ok
Re: Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by littlewonders: 3:30pm On Jun 21, 2018
I applaud your in-depth assessment but as long as this country is concern 74% of all the above stated(if not 90%) don't matter. Once you get connected to the right connection which is dominantly a fact progression in this our country's corruptional pollution, then you don't need all of the above grammatical collision to enrol you into any company's decision.

If this your model was our country's model for working, many unemployed graduates would have certainly been engaged with "personality" jobs.

Even me that have passion to go for Russia 2018 shey I am here waiting for Aba boys to start their league.

9 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by jtjohn(m): 3:30pm On Jun 21, 2018
Connection is all that matter.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by Desdola(m): 3:31pm On Jun 21, 2018
Nice info
Re: Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jun 21, 2018
Ok
Re: Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by easzypeaszy(m): 3:32pm On Jun 21, 2018
Did one ystrday..and i was successful...this is the 3rd time am writing it but i think is not all organization that require that to assess..then when answering personality questions..act like a Nigeria and not like ufrom USA...e.g Do you feel taking a pen and paper in your office to use without taking permission is right...You go say No is not right, i cant do dat, that is stealing..oga u r doing ursef..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jun 21, 2018
But when a highly placed political office holder recommends you, personality bla bla bla hits the refuse bin.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by qanda: 3:33pm On Jun 21, 2018
ok
Re: Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by EBUBS(m): 3:37pm On Jun 21, 2018
When is Nigeria's match?
Re: Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jun 21, 2018
When the largest shareholder recommends you personality and other test test give way. Just a sneeze can make the organization fold up
Re: Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by Kingzd: 3:41pm On Jun 21, 2018
All for formality sake when they already know those to employ. They just use it as an Avenue to enervate job seekers and make them more vulnerable.
Re: Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by uzomanny(m): 5:03pm On Jun 21, 2018
Did one some months ago for a global brand (based in Nigeria too),it was a logical and personality based test.

I was given 2 sample questions (diagrammatic) before the actual test and I correctly answered them. This was a booster for me. Before which, I had extensively read & digested the organization's culture so as to pass their personality test.

Fast forward>>>I did so well to the best of my ability (I was like, if I was called to repeat this exam at their office, I will blast it again and again).

To cut the long story short, I was blasted with a regret mail.

What I don't like is the fact that, these recruiters make intelligent Nigerian students look like dullards at the end of the day because they have their own candidate(s).

Where have we missed it in this country?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by opsyswagger(m): 5:15pm On Jun 21, 2018
Is not about the degree is about what u can offer in head will determine..
Re: Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by brodalokie: 5:54pm On Jun 21, 2018
Personality database or permanent account number (PAN) can be hacked and the original owner may never recover. What is the government doing about that?
Re: Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by Izen: 8:38pm On Jun 21, 2018
littlewonders:
I applaud your in-depth assessment but as long as this country is concern 74% of all the above stated(if not 90%) don't matter. Once you get connected to the right connection which is dominantly a fact progression in this our country's corruptional pollution, then you don't need all of the above grammatical collision to enrol you into any company's decision.

If this your model was our country's model for working, many unemployed graduates would have certainly been engaged with "personality" jobs.

Even me that have passion to go for Russia 2018 shey I am here waiting for Aba boys to start their league.

You better wake up. Thousands of youths (myself included) have gotten jobs with multinationals without knowing a single soul in the companies. We went through all these tests. I wasn't the best student in school, I was an average student yet I hustled my way into a solid organisation. Thank God I never listened to the likes of you while I was job hunting. You're only short-changing yourself with statements like this. Wake up and find a job!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by samuel3818: 8:55pm On Jun 21, 2018
Nice. Abeg when is Shell recruiting this year? sad
Re: Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by Petmodan(m): 11:48pm On Jun 21, 2018
Ok naija
Re: Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by piagetskinner(m): 12:58am On Jun 22, 2018
Izen:

You better wake up. Thousands of youths (myself included) have gotten jobs with multinationals without knowing a single soul in the companies. We went through all these tests. I wasn't the best student in school, I was an average student yet I hustled my way into a solid organisation. Thank God I never listened to the likes of you while I was job hunting. You're only short-changing yourself with statements like this. Wake up and find a job!!

bros tell me how u landed yourself with a multinational job...I wan learn biko
Re: Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by NovenaConcepts: 3:21am On Jun 22, 2018
Challenging oneself is better than sob stories.

For a well written CV, email Novenaconcepts@yahoo.com
Re: Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment by cj4someone(m): 6:27am On Jun 22, 2018
How to Start and Run a Successful NGO in Nigeria from Idea to Execution (A Step-by-Step Practical Guide)
===============================================================================

Hi guys, If you ever wanted to start an NGO to pursue your passion of helping your community or target group but do not know how to go about it, then this book is for you..

...As it is a hold-me-by-the-hand practical guide that walks you step-by-step through the process from mere idea to practical execution.
Here's what you will learn from this book and that will be enough to get started on a solid foundation...

Part I – Ideation & Incubation Phase
---------------------------------------------------

***Introduction
***Welcome to the World of Social Development
***Different Thematic Areas of the NGO Sector
***The Size and Scope of the NGO or Nonprofit Sector
***The growth and size of NGOs in Nigeria
***Determining the Purpose of Your NGO
***Identifying and Understanding Your Target Audience/Beneficiary
***Phrasing a Captivating Vision Statement for your NGO
***Coming Up a Clear Mission Statement for your NGO
***Framing Your NGO’s Core Values
***Writing Impact-Oriented Aims & Objectives for your NGO
***4 Pro-tips for Determining the Name of your NGO
***5 Common NGO Name Extensions for your Consideration
***How to Run a Quick Background Check on Your Proposed NGO Name
***5 Pro-tips for Selecting a Board of Directors for your NGO
***Drafting Your Organization’s Governing Documents
***11 steps to Registering your NGO with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC)
***2 Action Steps to take Immediately After Registration

Part II – Execution & Implementation Phase
-----------------------------------------------------------

***How to Set Up a Simple Office for your NGO Without Breaking the Bank
***How to Assemble Your Initial Staff and Volunteers
***7 Typical Job Positions in the NGO Sector
***A List of Operational Documents to Develop for Your NGO
***Essential Marketing Materials You Should Develop for Your NGO
***Why You Should Conduct Advocacy Visits to Stakeholders in Your Host Community – And How to Do it
***How to Initiate and Run Pet Projects to Announce Your NGO Presence
***Why You Should Write Reports and Document Every Activity Undertaken
***Resource Mobilization 2 – 7 Strategic Fundraising Ideas to Explore
***How does NGOs make money for organizational sustainability?

For details please visit: www.toolsforngos.com/how-to-start-and-run-a-successful-ngo-in-nigeria

(1) (Reply)

Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase / What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? / Self Employment Or O & G Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.