Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:02 AM

Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System (18764 Views)

American University Of Nigeria School Fees (photos) / The Inherent Fallacy In The Nigerian Secondary School System / Nigeria: School Where Boarding, Day Pupils Pray Against Rainfall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by Myrealface: 5:24pm On Jun 21, 2018
I came across this piece on facebook and I think it's worth sharing...

Samuel Abatan

REASONS I HATE THE NIGERIA SCHOOL SYSTEM

1.IT KILLS CREATIVITY
We were made to believe that there is only one gate to the market, majority of the teachers will tell you to write only what he/she teaches you & anything outside that will amount to nothing but ZERO. if you try going extra mile by writing what you discovered based on your personal research, then you are on your own!
No room for creativity at all. The only way to be a creator is to think different from the crowd. How can we do this when we have been trained by school that there is always one solution to any problem?
2. IT IS A TIME WASTER
Strike action has become a normal protocol that must be observed by majority of our schools. Hardly can a school finish a semester without Having to go on strike due to issues ranging from nonpayment of salaries, unfulfilled government promises, poor management decision, and the likes...
The adverse effects of strike cannot be over emphasized as it results In unnecessary delay...
Let's not forget the long ASUU STRIKE, LAUTECH strike that lasted for almost 2 years.
3. THE SYSTEM IS TOO POROUS
Our education system is just too porous at the moment! Anything goes... The system is too porous to the extent that even "drop outs" are now teaching in our schools. In fact, the easiest job to get in Nigeria now is TEACHING. Once you can speak a little grammar (Eboobu) and stand before crowd you're good to go... WTF!
Also, The system is so weak that Students sitting for exams like JAMB, WAEC, NECO, etc are already loaded with expo even before the paper commences. Who's supplying them?
How can a student who earned his/her grades via Expo become a "game changer" after graduation?? Never!
4. IT IS PRIMITIVE
The world system is not static-it changes day by day, but it's very unfortunate that many of the reading materials used in our schools are obsolete. How will someone be using a material that was last revised 10 years ago. Which way na?
5. TOO MANY SQUARE PEG IN ROUND HOLES
If our education is gonna rise again, then the team involved in recruiting teachers should "up their game" in this aspect...
Recruitment according to Collins (2001) is "getting the right people on the bus, the wrong people off the bus, and the right people in the right seats"
Majority of our teachers today are teaching "strange subjects" I.e subject they know little or nothing about. Can you imagine someone who knows nothing about computer teaching students Information Technology. Will such teacher deliver effectively? No o! You can't give what you don't have...
6. WE WORSHIP CERTIFICATE & GOOD GRADES
In Nigeria, we love Worshipping grades & certificates... whether you understand what you were taught in school or not that concerns no one...
At the expense of getting good grades many students that cannot bribe will engage in the "LA cram la pour" system. Instead of reading to understand, majority will just "read for passing sake". That is not education! The real education is not about what you have inside the paper (certificate), but the one you have upstairs (Sabificate)
Your certificate is useless if you cannot solve problem in real life.
Year in year out, our schools produces A lot of graduates, but how many problem solvers has the system produced so far??
While Nigeria focuses on producing Certificate owners, advanced countries like America, Japan, China, etc focus on building Quality men via a sound education system.
Go and check the list of the greatest inventors of all time, how many Nigerians are there??
So, in a nutshell... I'm imploring All the stakeholders in the Nigerian Education sector (Students, parents, teachers, school management, government, etc) to arise and do the needful.
THANKS & GOD BLESS NIGERIA
#NigerianEducationSector
#ILoveNigeria
#GodblessNigeria
#June24IsMyBirthday

https://mbasic.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=886678894849965&id=100005235873075

41 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by GloriaNinja(f): 5:32pm On Jun 21, 2018
undecided NIGERIA'S SCHOOL SYSTEM IS THE SHITTIEST ON EARTH...VERY SHITTY TO THE CORE, MORE SHITTY THAN SHIT ITSELF.

23 Likes

Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by Myrealface: 5:33pm On Jun 21, 2018
GloriaNinja:
undecided NIGERIA'S SCHOOL SYSTEM IS THE SHITTIEST ON EARTH...VERY SHITTY TO THE CORE, MORE SHITTY THAN SHIT ITSELF.

Honestly It's annoying!

6 Likes

Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by kjsun15: 5:42pm On Jun 21, 2018
Tell the leaders! They failed to do the right thing at most times.

1 Like

Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by Myrealface: 5:45pm On Jun 21, 2018
kjsun15:
Tell the leaders! They failed to do the right thing at most times.

cry cry cry
Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jun 21, 2018
Finland has the best Education system in the world. I just cant help reading about the Finish system every now and then.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by Davidfashman: 8:02pm On Jun 21, 2018
K
Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by rentAcock(m): 8:02pm On Jun 21, 2018
Captain Obvious, what is news here?
Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by Imustreturn(m): 8:03pm On Jun 21, 2018
grin

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by Davidfashman: 8:03pm On Jun 21, 2018
Alryt
Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jun 21, 2018
Myrealface:

Samuel Abatan

So, in a nutshell... I'm imploring All the stakeholders in the Nigerian Education sector (Students, parents, teachers, school management, government, etc) to arise and do the needful.

Thanks for sharing

Help me tell the writer he is ALSO a stakeholder.

As he has taken out time to fish out and describe the flaws, he can also help in suggesting possible solutions

Thanks again

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by HeWrites(m): 8:05pm On Jun 21, 2018
In Nigeria, if you don't go to University, you're termed an ILLITERATE. They forgot that UNIVERSITY in Nigeria is a SCAM.

14 Likes

Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by qanda: 8:05pm On Jun 21, 2018
It is a case of misplaced priority for an institution to insist that Undergraduates must have at least 75% attendance record before they are allowed to sit for exams; while unconcerned when a learner with over 75% attendance fails an exam. Beyond attendance, Nigerian Tertiary institutions should focus on how Undergraduates can easily access lecture materials in text, audio and Videos.

A Nigerian Startup Company, Techpedia Ltd built an Android Mobile App (Q and A App) to bridge this gap - Access study materials, Job Test Questions and Answers, Scholarship resources and Past Questions on Q and A App. Download Q and A App on Playstore

A lot is wrong with the Nigerian Education System. Rather than stay put on the Problem, we should begin to suggest solutions.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by Quality20(m): 8:05pm On Jun 21, 2018
that's y u shd vote ppl like Atiku n igbenedion who have experience in running private schools n universities

1 Like

Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by kolafolabi(m): 8:06pm On Jun 21, 2018
Your opinion though

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by IronTete(m): 8:06pm On Jun 21, 2018
smiley

Looking forward to studying In London for free? Here's 2018 University of Westminster Fully Funded International Scholarships
https://www.collegeforbes.com/2018/02/university-westminster-full-international-scholarships.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by abdeiz(m): 8:06pm On Jun 21, 2018
The Nigerian university killed my creativity.

What I am doing now is nothing related to what I studied and my degree didn't get me the job, imagine if I hadn't gone to school and started earlier back then... well that's just wishful thinking.

I was tormented and cheated in the Nigerian university and frustrated beyond tension limit. Hustled for upper class but narrowly missed out ... bureaucracy. It sucks.

When I see my peers rushing to do their masters in a Nigerian university... I just spit and wish them good luck. Cos they would definitely need it more than they think.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by Oyindidi(f): 8:06pm On Jun 21, 2018
Ok
Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jun 21, 2018
If you can school here and graduate with third Class (with all the sex for marks, no classrooms, lecturers witch-hunting students, STRIKES, etc), you can make a first class in foreign schools.
Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by Sweetcollins: 8:08pm On Jun 21, 2018
Hate or like
No level?
Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by CodeTemplar: 8:08pm On Jun 21, 2018
Booked.
Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by KaptainAfrika: 8:08pm On Jun 21, 2018
Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by drpips1(m): 8:11pm On Jun 21, 2018
School system generally can structure your mind with stuffs that are not beneficial

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by eleojo23: 8:12pm On Jun 21, 2018
noted
Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by CodeTemplar: 8:12pm On Jun 21, 2018
Myrealface:

Samuel Abatan

https://mbasic.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=886678894849965&id=100005235873075
Those points are true and most are more pronounced in public sch system.
Cc: HigherEd.

1 Like

Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by maberry(m): 8:12pm On Jun 21, 2018
Unfortunately Op
All your points are valid undecided
We have gotten it all wrong in our Educational system

6 Likes

Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by Pavore9: 8:13pm On Jun 21, 2018
Thus the reason many graduates have no idea what's next.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by ifedolapoferanm(m): 8:13pm On Jun 21, 2018
Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by kikiwendy(f): 8:13pm On Jun 21, 2018
I swear everyone just reads to pass exam not to know the real stuff

1 Like

Re: Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System by whiteTORTIISE(m): 8:15pm On Jun 21, 2018
my client told me that my Delay degree certificate is an unrecognizable paper in New Zealand.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Typhoon? Hurricane? Cyclone? Here's The Difference / Auchipoly Admission List Out / 2013 Cowbell Mathematics Competition (download Past Questions, Entry Form Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.