Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,769 members, 7,798,565 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:59 AM

US Police Stop Traffic For Snake - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / US Police Stop Traffic For Snake (1281 Views)

Lagos To Divert Traffic For Today's Match Between Nigeria And Liberia / Helicopter Picks Billionaire Stuck In Traffic For 2 Hours On Lagos-Benin Road / Breaking: Motorist Stuck In Traffic For 6 Hours After Bridge Broke Down (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Police Stop Traffic For Snake by tiger28: 5:05am On Jun 24, 2018
Police stopped traffic so this venomous snake could cross the road unharmed
By Dana Hedgpeth

June 21, 2018 at 10:25 AM

A venomous snake needed to get to the other side of the road in Virginia, so police helped it along by stopping traffic at a busy intersection.

The incident unfolded Tuesday morning in Roanoke along Franklin Road, according to the Roanoke Police Department.

Wildlife experts said the snake is a timber rattler, which is venomous. Timber rattlesnakes are found in much of the eastern United States, as well as in western Virginia.

Randy Leftwich told CBS News that he took a video of officers stopping traffic for the snake as he was dropping off dry cleaning. At first, he said, he thought it was a turtle.

“When I saw the snake I thought cops get such a bad rap these days, here are two officers helping out an animal,” he said.

Related: [Snake slithers out of car’s air vent as Virginia woman is driving]

The video shows police officers redirecting traffic as the snake slithers into the intersection. An animal warden officer is seen helping the snake get safely into a grassy area off the road.

Animal Warden Stephanie Montgomery said it was her first snake call, adding the snake was three or four feet long.

“Awesome to see these guys out there helping,” Leftwich told CBS News.

Suzie Gilley, a wildlife expert for the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, said snakes are unlikely to harm humans.

“These snakes are an important part of the ecosystem and don’t tend to be overly aggressive,” she said. “They simply want to be left alone to do their job of eating rodents.”

Still, Virginia officials warned residents to watch out for snakes, which typically are more active in the summer heat. Earlier this month, a snake slithered out of a car’s air vent as a Virginia woman was driving. And a snake was found near the stairs of a commuter rail station in Maryland.

Related: [Snake found near stairs of commuter rail station in Maryland]

It is illegal to kill or relocate snakes in Virginia, unless they’re an “immediate danger to people,” the Roanoke Police Department said in a Twitter message.

An animal warden officer helped a snake cross the road in Roanoke. (Roanoke Police Department/)
Typically, the department said, its animal wardens don’t respond to snake calls, but noted that this was a “special circumstance.”

There were plenty of comments on social media.

Steve Gianni wrote, “I’d like to commend the snake for observing pedestrian law and staying in the crosswalk.” Elizabeth R. Apgar Triano wrote on Facebook, “Whoa! Brave and wow!”

Not all were in favor of the snake. Andrew Wilkins wrote on Facebook, “I’m killing every one that I see.”

Nigerians see your lives!
Re: US Police Stop Traffic For Snake by Bari22: 5:10am On Jun 24, 2018
Lalasticlala
Re: US Police Stop Traffic For Snake by Talknochip(m): 5:21am On Jun 24, 2018
hmmmm
Re: US Police Stop Traffic For Snake by Viralkid: 5:35am On Jun 24, 2018
they important to the ecosystem, they are also important for making leather.
Re: US Police Stop Traffic For Snake by symbianDON(m): 9:37am On Jun 24, 2018
chai!!....oyibo people sef
Re: US Police Stop Traffic For Snake by bularuz(m): 10:15am On Jun 24, 2018
I know Lalasticlala will not like this
Re: US Police Stop Traffic For Snake by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jun 24, 2018
Nice...
As long as the snake wasn't harming anyone, no need to take its life. Let it get on into the woods....and live its life.

1 Like

Re: US Police Stop Traffic For Snake by excanny: 11:04pm On Jun 24, 2018
"[b]It is illegal to kill [/b]or relocate snakes in Virginia, unless they’re an “immediate danger to people,” the Roanoke Police Department said in a Twitter message."

CC . Lalasticlala
CC Seun

1 Like

Re: US Police Stop Traffic For Snake by Lexusgs430: 4:29am On Jun 25, 2018
If that snake made any form of mistake, turned left, instead of right........

We know it would eventually end up on nairaland (courtesy of lalasticlala).....

(1) (Reply)

Ghana's New Airport Terminal Beats Nigerian Airports / How I Spent 10 Hours Flying From Lagos To Chad Instead Of 3 Hours / Eastern Development: Agulu Lake Oasis In Anambra (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.