Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:07 AM

How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. - Science/Technology (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. (91190 Views)

Stop Wasting Your Money On Data!! / Affordable European Standard Samsung Led Tvs (used & New) / How Nigerians Access Instant Loans On Fairmoney Without Collateral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by PaulH07: 12:16pm On Jul 22, 2020
I think the op went too far in his analysis..

How on earth do people waste money in UHD and quantum led tvs when there are hdmi s in the market undecided

I use Samsung 42 inches led TV but with the help of hdmi.. I get ultra high definition resolutions.. cool

How doesn't the hdmi give you HD resolutions. I know it's cord is most times used for connecting to laptops...

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by PaulH07: 12:22pm On Jul 22, 2020
Bossman:
Have to agree. Even here in the US, the cable tv providers have very few 4k content. And one is required to upgrade to their latest cable boxes in order to be able to receive 4k. Unlimited internet data, which rarely exists in Nigeria, is a must as well. Pretty much every Home has unlimited internet here, so that limitation does not exist.

So unless you have unlimited internet and a provider that transmits 4k content, having a 4k tv there in Nigeria, a country where most people still access the internet via their mobile phones, makes no sense.

So where do ya'll access your internet service? Your buttholes
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by PaulH07: 7:28pm On Jul 22, 2020
mu2sa2:
I still prefer 4k tvs but not the overpriced ones like Samsung brands. With 200k one can get a 55 inch 4k of a good brand like hisense. I get the point Op is making but I cannot downgrade.

Samsung 4K of 197k dey jumia. 43" sef...
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by PaulH07: 7:29pm On Jul 22, 2020
ollah2:

You are getting somethings wrong. An average Nigerian doesn't know about all these things. YouTube is popular but they would stream YouTube on their phones and laptops than TVs. An average Nigerian watches only DSTV on their TV hence the op is spot on.

I have a friend that didn't know his monstrous TV could stream and the first thing he did which I set up for him was netflix and it wasnt even 4k. His internet finished within a week and focused only on Dstv.

How many Gig did he subscribe?
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by PaulH07: 7:32pm On Jul 22, 2020
Boss13:
OP is talking about 4K when people are doing QLED UHD 4K and OLED UHD 4K TVs. There are many 4K contents available now. When I was in Nigeria, I unsubscribed from DSTV. Apart from Sports, their contents are old, unexciting and the price doesn’t match the service. Hence, I was only paying for sports.

So I decided to move to big dish, Netflix and IPTV with premium 4K contents and upgraded my internet. OP it was a beauty to watch. You may be right with your analysis, but many Nigerians are moving to other platforms for entertainment. Also, if you want a fast reliable internet in naija, Na your money kill am.

Can you tell me more about this? I'll like to know whether I'll still need to get a decoder after buying a 4K UHD smart TV. Thanks
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by PaulH07: 7:53pm On Jul 22, 2020

the op is not spot on if he could only refer to one single feature of a 4k tv .
maybe he is the nigerian being referred to, a lazy bum who cannot be bothered to do any research into what his tv can actually do.

the only potential issue with 4k tvs is that most of them run propietary oses and not android. last i checked, only sony does android tvs. and those sony tvs cost an arm and a leg

So what happens if I buy a Samsung 4K TV without an android but a proprietary OS?
I use a Samsung Galaxy S8 by the way...
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by PaulH07: 8:18pm On Jul 22, 2020
Getsaved:

OP, your analysis is a bit good but skewed in part. Now, 4k tv is the in thing. I would agree with you that some may be wasting money on it. A balanced analysis should let people know what 4k tv is all about - the good & drawbacks. And inform people about the knowledge of their budget b4 going for 4k tv.
Research has shown that HD t.v. would still be around for some time. Truth be told, 4k tchnology is phasing out hd. have you discovered the prices of hd t.v. dropped drastically? 4k has come to stay. Research has also shown many broadcasting network ( digital and online) are already planing to beam their programs on 4k platform from 2019. Many video games are already into it. Long story short.

If you have the cash and you are about to start having home appliances like tvs and the likes, go for the latest technology to avoid re buying same things in a couple of years. If you already have hd, don't be in a hurry to go for a 4k t.v. lets I forget, 4k tvs can maximally be enjoyed when you buy from 50" TV of it and above. So, look at your financial budget, do a good research ( online and offline) about what you want to buy b4 making your decision about buying 4k television.

I already got a 40" 3D FHD TV, and it looks big enough already. Now thinking of upgrading to 43" 4K UHD; but you come dey talk 50" again

Uno wan kee pesin ni?
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jul 22, 2020
TechCapon:
@TechCapon

4K UHD TVs are the best display TVs in the market but it's not for the Nigerian market! What am I even saying ? It's not even for the African market ! But we see this TVs in the showrooms and eventually in the homes of people, even some government office connect their CCTV cameras to 4K TVs so the security men can see what's really happening around the building. Funny, they just buy it without understanding the concept behind it. This post is for enlightenment purpose because people are fund of buying electronic gadgets without doing little research or at least seek the advice of an expert. They rather rely on the advice of salesmen/saleswomen who are just there for one reason, make profit ! It is a good thing to embrace new and better technology, but there’s a difference between embracing new technology and just wasting money. In this post I’m going to explain exactly why Nigerians are wasting money on one of such technologies.

THE 4K ULTRA HIGH DEFINITION TV.

First of all, what is 4K ?

It's not a fancy name, 4K is actually a resolution (2160 X 3840). The highest video display resolution right now! To enjoy the power of true 4K UHD technology, you must have a high video resolution of 2160 X 3840 pixels to match with the 4K UHD TV, that's when you can say you're watching 4K TV. This display is a lot better than the usual HD and full HD displays and produces super-rich quality, life-like displays.

Sorry to say this but a lot of Nigerians don’t understand how resolutions work. A lot of people who buy 4k UHD TVs have never watched 4k videos before. THE MAJOR PROBLEM IS, there are few 4K contents available. A 5 minute 4k video is about 2GB in size how much more a full movie of almost 2 hours. A lot of TV shows, movies and TV networks are not even available in 4K resolution ! Not even MTV, CNN, BEIN SPORTS, SUPER SPORTS, FOX NEWS, AFRICAN MAGIC, SOUNDCITY, NAT GEO WILD etc displays 4K UHD videos. They only display in HD. So what’s the point of splashing huge amount of cash on 4K UHD TV only to go home and watch the regular videos or cable TV channels. You’re not different from the guy who bought a much cheaper FULL HD TV because its same video resolutions and you can hardly notice the difference. Agreed it does upscale the video quality to some extent but it's still not 4K. TV stations around the world are not ready to embrace the 4K UHD technology yet! Unless you ready to stream 4K videos directly from NETFLIX or AMAZON PRIME at mind blowing data rates, you can hardly enjoy the 4K experience. Even if you have the cash to burn, which internet service provider in Nigeria can give you enough bandwidth to stream 4k movies non-stop on Netflix at 2160 X 3840 pixels everyday ? This is a secret no TV sales man will ever tell you. Buying such TV in Nigeria is like buying a Ferrari and driving it in a street full of potholes. You can hardly enjoy it !

Do you think Nigeria will be ready for the 4K TV technology in the next 5-10 years ? Tell us in the comment section

SOURCE: http://techcapon.com/how-nigerians-are-wasting-money-on-4k-uhd-tvs/

So whats d best TV spec for naija internet that is not 4K?
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Preator: 3:28pm On Nov 13, 2020
Some of us use it for gaming. Infact, its a prerequisite for the next-gen consoles. And there are lots of gamers in Nigeria
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Ugosample(m): 5:47pm On Nov 23, 2020
Mizk:
True but no one will pay attention to that in a country where everyone is trying to outdo each other, its all for showoff

True

Out doing each other and wanting to show off
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by 4gunners(m): 3:07pm On Nov 28, 2020
maynia:
Just remembered one of Mayweather videos showing off one of is Maybach
He didn't get the pronunciation properly
The person he was showing the car to, corrected him
And mayweather said:
You know how to pronounce it
I know how to buy it
grin grin grin
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Bigsteveg(m): 6:42pm On Feb 04, 2021
BestDataDeals:

Where do you think I bought it sir. I bought it from cash and carry ikeja. Isn't that a genuine place to get it.??

Check out the receipt na

What can you say about hisense smart tv? The picture quality especially. Am thinking if getting one
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Bigsteveg(m): 6:42pm On Feb 04, 2021

And it broke in transit?? In the packaging?
Sorry oh.

What can you say about hisense smart tv? The picture quality especially. Am thinking if getting one
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Bigsteveg(m): 12:12pm On May 18, 2021
Boss13:
OP is talking about 4K when people are doing QLED UHD 4K and OLED UHD 4K TVs. There are many 4K contents available now. When I was in Nigeria, I unsubscribed from DSTV. Apart from Sports, their contents are old, unexciting and the price doesn’t match the service. Hence, I was only paying for sports.

So I decided to move to big dish, Netflix and IPTV with premium 4K contents and upgraded my internet. OP it was a beauty to watch. You may be right with your analysis, but many Nigerians are moving to other platforms for entertainment. Also, if you want a fast reliable internet in naija, Na your money kill am.

Which internet/data plan are u using
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by MontyNG(m): 3:55pm On May 18, 2021
I'm happy with my 1080P samsung plasma tv that is 60inches.

(I also have the 50inch version for sale... DM if interested)

But with the new gen consoles now, 4k is not such a waste of money. It is the people buying 8k that I'm laughing at.
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by stupidmod3: 4:48pm On May 19, 2021
Lexusgs430:
Phablets would gradually kill off TV........
in which worid?
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Lexusgs430: 4:57pm On May 19, 2021
stupidmod3:
in which worid?

In terms of portability......... cheesy

Oga, that was posted in 2018..... May your past not turnaround and hunt you........... cheesy
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by stupidmod3: 5:21pm On May 19, 2021
Lexusgs430:

In terms of portability......... cheesy

Oga, that was posted in 2018..... May your past not turnaround and hunt you........... cheesy
and its 2021 as it taken over?
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Lexusgs430: 5:34pm On May 19, 2021
stupidmod3:

and its 2021 as it taken over?

I am on the toilet now, using my Microsoft surface duo........ In my world in terms of portability........ YES......
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by stupidmod3: 5:38pm On May 19, 2021
Lexusgs430:

I am on the toilet now, using my Microsoft surface duo........ In my world in terms of portability........ YES......
use am flush
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Lexusgs430: 5:46pm On May 19, 2021
stupidmod3:
use am flush

That would be an expensive shit.......
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by stupidmod3: 5:55pm On May 19, 2021
Lexusgs430:

That would be an expensive shit.......
sheyyy
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Alfaabass123: 9:43am On Jul 14, 2021
incase anybody need to copy 4k movies that has been compressed with minimum of like 6gb to 15gb holland me on WhatsApp if you are in lagos to maximize your 4k TV on 08023935400
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Phillipz09: 10:38pm On Jul 27, 2021
TechCapon:
@TechCapon

4K UHD TVs are the best display TVs in the market but it's not for the Nigerian market! What am I even saying ? It's not even for the African market ! But we see this TVs in the showrooms and eventually in the homes of people, even some government office connect their CCTV cameras to 4K TVs so the security men can see what's really happening around the building. Funny, they just buy it without understanding the concept behind it. This post is for enlightenment purpose because people are fund of buying electronic gadgets without doing little research or at least seek the advice of an expert. They rather rely on the advice of salesmen/saleswomen who are just there for one reason, make profit ! It is a good thing to embrace new and better technology, but there’s a difference between embracing new technology and just wasting money. In this post I’m going to explain exactly why Nigerians are wasting money on one of such technologies.

THE 4K ULTRA HIGH DEFINITION TV.

First of all, what is 4K ?

It's not a fancy name, 4K is actually a resolution (2160 X 3840). The highest video display resolution right now! To enjoy the power of true 4K UHD technology, you must have a high video resolution of 2160 X 3840 pixels to match with the 4K UHD TV, that's when you can say you're watching 4K TV. This display is a lot better than the usual HD and full HD displays and produces super-rich quality, life-like displays.

Sorry to say this but a lot of Nigerians don’t understand how resolutions work. A lot of people who buy 4k UHD TVs have never watched 4k videos before. THE MAJOR PROBLEM IS, there are few 4K contents available. A 5 minute 4k video is about 2GB in size how much more a full movie of almost 2 hours. A lot of TV shows, movies and TV networks are not even available in 4K resolution ! Not even MTV, CNN, BEIN SPORTS, SUPER SPORTS, FOX NEWS, AFRICAN MAGIC, SOUNDCITY, NAT GEO WILD etc displays 4K UHD videos. They only display in HD. So what’s the point of splashing huge amount of cash on 4K UHD TV only to go home and watch the regular videos or cable TV channels. You’re not different from the guy who bought a much cheaper FULL HD TV because its same video resolutions and you can hardly notice the difference. Agreed it does upscale the video quality to some extent but it's still not 4K. TV stations around the world are not ready to embrace the 4K UHD technology yet! Unless you ready to stream 4K videos directly from NETFLIX or AMAZON PRIME at mind blowing data rates, you can hardly enjoy the 4K experience. Even if you have the cash to burn, which internet service provider in Nigeria can give you enough bandwidth to stream 4k movies non-stop on Netflix at 2160 X 3840 pixels everyday ? This is a secret no TV sales man will ever tell you. Buying such TV in Nigeria is like buying a Ferrari and driving it in a street full of potholes. You can hardly enjoy it !

Do you think Nigeria will be ready for the 4K TV technology in the next 5-10 years ? Tell us in the comment section

SOURCE: http://techcapon.com/how-nigerians-are-wasting-money-on-4k-uhd-tvs/
Op you are 100% right, just seen this somewhere else, I never knew. A lot of people are just buying for show off

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Thazard(m): 12:14pm On Jan 02
gmajor10:
Op going by your analysis, even buying HD TV is waste of money..... No local Nigerian station shoots and stream in HD. Even the almighty dstv has very few HD channels, unless you go premium. And that still is limited, most channels are on SD standard definition.

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Akposkiz: 2:21am On Jan 04
Good insight! 4k ultra hd plasma tv is absolutely waste of money!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Stunning Shot Of Gorilla Surrounded By Butterflies Wins Photography Contest(Pix) / Massive Hippopotamus Killed In Lokoja / Drone Spotted At Ojota Bus Stop This Afternoon(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.