Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,180 members, 7,807,576 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:31 PM

How can I fast-ripen my Tomatoe plantation at once, Help! - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How can I fast-ripen my Tomatoe plantation at once, Help! (949 Views)

Own A Pineapple Plantation At An Affordable Amount. / 115 Hectares Of Oil Palm Plantation At Olohunda Village In Ibadan / Oil Palm Plantation At Ede For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How can I fast-ripen my Tomatoe plantation at once, Help! by olajide14: 10:57am On Jun 24, 2018
Hello N landers, Can anyone help with how I can fast ripen my Tomatoe farm, I have more than one acre of Tomatoe waiting to be ripen, i started early this year with manual irrigation, targeting peak period like this, But my mature Tomatoe refused to ripe maybe because of the cold rain weather,

I need advise and suggestions from fellow Agro-niralander on how to fast ripen the whole Tomatoe on vine , a friend suggested I should use calcium carbide Aka cambad , but the problem with this method is that I will need to harvest mature green unripe Tomatoe and add calcium carbide during storage.

Can someone advice me on how I can get whole Tomatoe plantation ripen once while on vine. Pls help
Re: How can I fast-ripen my Tomatoe plantation at once, Help! by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jun 24, 2018
olajide14:
Hello N landers, Can anyone help with how I can fast ripen my Tomatoe farm, I have more than one acre of Tomatoe waiting to be ripen, i started planting early this year with manual irrigation, targeting peak period like this, But my mature Tomatoe refused to ripe maybe because of the cold rain weather, I need advise and suggestions from fellow Agro-niralander on how to fast ripen the whole Tomatoe on vine , a friend suggested I should use calcium carbide Aka cambad , but the problem with this method is that I will need to harvest mature green unripe Tomatoe and add calcium carbide during storage. Can someone advice me on how I can get whole Tomatoe plantation ripped once while on vine. Pls help

Interesting!

Firstly, carbide is exrremely dangerous. It causes different kind of diseases, including cancer. This chemical is what most people use with unripe banana. It should be banned. Just do not ever get involved in that kind of wickedness all in the name of high profit. Do not do it. And I know the reason you are considering not to use carbide. It is not about the fact it causes cancer. But I need to just emphasize again why you must not use carbide.

Secondly, how the heck did you start tomato early this year and you have not been harvesting to make high profit? Check your variety. Or maybe you started late and not early enough. You need proper research when doing this kind of project. Obviously, you did not get the variety or timing accurate.

Thirdly, you did not include the cost of storage. One acre tomato farm is huge. So, I am just wondering why you just went ahead to embark on the project without including the cost of building a temporary store on your farm. Your aim was to move tomatoes from farm to basket to market. Come on! One acre tomato and you want to do it like that? Come on!

Come on! Look at how probabaly just additional N100,000 to N200,000 for building a nice store with some cheap crates have put you under intense pressure. Come on!

You still really do not need any short cut. You know what you need to do. I suggest you do it right. You will still make huge profit. Seriously, you do not need advice here. From what you have written, I am sure you know what you ought to do. Just get it done and do it well.

Period!

2 Likes

Re: How can I fast-ripen my Tomatoe plantation at once, Help! by olajide14: 1:22pm On Jun 24, 2018
Thanks for your humble advice, this my first season in farming, I know I will get it well next season, am from electronic background, just want to diversify to agriculture, am heavily rely on informations from internet and friends, someone just mettioned chemical call Ethephon he claimed it has no side effects on human, but no idea on how to use it or source it , any advice on this sir?
Re: How can I fast-ripen my Tomatoe plantation at once, Help! by orbgoblin: 1:37pm On Jun 24, 2018
how much tomato in naira can you get from say a plot of land. 60x120 feet? and oh nice write up by fluentinfor. was hoping someone would discourage the use of carbide for ripening.
Re: How can I fast-ripen my Tomatoe plantation at once, Help! by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jun 24, 2018
orbgoblin:
how much tomato in naira can you get from say a plot of land. 60x120 feet? and oh nice write up by fluentinfor. was hoping someone would discourage the use of carbide for ripening.

I have written so much about it. Tomato is hot cake, not even only during this seadon if you know you make a deep research. However, many people do it wrongly. When you wirk with me, I provide about minimum of three sales options. Honestly, people cut corners these days. And many are reading to cut corners. I know because of feedbacks I get. And it crushes my heart.
Re: How can I fast-ripen my Tomatoe plantation at once, Help! by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jun 24, 2018
olajide14:
Thanks for your humble advice, this my first season in farming, I know I will get it well next season, am from electronic background, just want to diversify to agriculture, am heavily rely on informations from internet and friends, someone just mettioned chemical call Ethephon he claimed it has no side effects on human, but no idea on how to use it or source it , any advice on this sir?

There are many ways of doing it. There are many chemicals or agents you can use.

First, which are safe for health? Second, where do you get good quality? Third, are there natural options instead of using chemicals or agents? Fourth, how do you use them?

My point is you cut down the cost of production. You know exactly what to do sir. We both know.

Personally, I am not the kind of person who will announce a chemical or agent on public forum. I know the Nigerian system very well. No one cares about codaine many years ago. But as soon as one person figures out the other use of codaine, look at what happened.

I like it when farmers get it really right. But sir, my point is that you just went ahead with one acre tomato just like that? Ok. This is exactly what over 99% readers would do. Many read clearly my style, but still come around with one intent - to avoid setting up irigation in order to reduce start up cost.

Wait! How many people think of buying protective clothes, golves or glasses for their workers for spraying? Hmmmmm! Yet they come in here everytime asking for good spraying formular. So, you want to take what will kill your workers gradually from me?

There are herbicides I have tested and they work for different veggies. I know exactly what to use for tomato, cucumber, watermelon, etc. Do you expect me release the information just here like that on a public forum? Of course not. No way. These days, I hide most of these things until I am 100% sure the person is not wreckless. I may opt to buy them for you, disguise them so you don't abuse them. But when I know your intent is good, I can release my research library so you use everything, but first, I must know. And guess what? They all always fail the test. But not all, i mean not all. There are still wonderful Nigerians. Trust me. There are.

I have met wonderful irrigation sellers. And there is one particular friend of mine who sells irrigation set. I have tested him with many things, and I see that his intents are always good. We talk. Trust me, I push responsible buyers to him. Of course not all buyers but only responsible ones.

One guy who sells irrigation materials contacted me for cucumber procedure. He was ready to buy all the things I told him but I was going to supply him some. And I disguised some that I know are harmful. I saw his intent already, so I was on guard. I was right, as soon as he saw the package, and when he could not figure out the real source, he was angered. Coupled with the fact that he only got in touch with me not because he wanted to really plant cucumber, but he had other things running in his mind which he wanted me to do for him. He used purchasing those stuff as a bait which I did not fall for. His attitude changed immediately. And I laughed over it. Someone who permitted errors of my staff member when he felt I was going to fall for his bait became so angered soon later. But "me a no send am". Who cares? Lol.

Sir, are you really sure you have a tomato farm? Your first time with tomato? 1 acre? And you got it right? Manual irrigation? Seriously? On 1 acre? You are able to handle 1 acre with manual irrigatiin? Sir, I am not a fool. With extreme hot temperature in Feb, Mar and April? And you have not harvested at all? Come on! These days, I am scared of smartie Naijas. How you produce names of chemicals show you are not a novice sir. I will not just endorse any chemical on a public forum. Just know that sir.

I will work with you when I am 100% sure your intent is exactly what you portray to the normal innocent readers. People with inner mind can add one plus one sir.
Re: How can I fast-ripen my Tomatoe plantation at once, Help! by orbgoblin: 6:20pm On Jun 24, 2018
I get what you mean and it really does hurt when people cut corners, but I'd just like to have an idea of how much one can make from a plot of land used for tomato farming. look through your posts to see if I can get an answer from them.
fluentinfor:

I have written so much about it. Tomato is hot cake, not even only during this seadon if you know you make a deep research. However, many people do it wrongly. When you wirk with me, I provide about minimum of three sales options. Honestly, people cut corners these days. And many are reading to cut corners. I know because of feedbacks I get. And it crushes my heart.
Re: How can I fast-ripen my Tomatoe plantation at once, Help! by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jun 24, 2018
orbgoblin:
I get what you mean and it really does hurt when people cut corners, but I'd just like to have an idea of how much one can make from a plot of land used for tomato farming. look through your posts to see if I can get an answer from them.

Your question is very difficult to answer. One farmer get 3 tons on 15 plots (1 hectare), and another gets over 100 tons. Same applies to a plot.

Anyway, I have a procedure for 3 to 6 tons on a plot over a period of 6 to 10 months. It is a program for farmers who want sell directly to customers and not those targetting a particular time to sell. And the targetted price is N300 to N700 per kg. Marketing is very important.

We combine it with capsicum which is produced in a nethouse, and just a small open field section for habanero and chill too.

Open field: tomato, habanero and chilli
Nethouse: capsicum
We use about 3 plots of land (max).

I hope I have answered your question.
Re: How can I fast-ripen my Tomatoe plantation at once, Help! by orbgoblin: 7:06pm On Jun 24, 2018
Thanks a lot, your answer is as clear as glass.
fluentinfor:

Your question is very difficult to answer. One farmer get 3 tons on 15 plots (1 hectare), and another gets over 100 tons. Same applies to a plot.

Anyway, I have a procedure for 3 to 6 tons on a plot over a period of 6 to 10 months. It is a program for farmers who want sell directly to customers and not those targetting a particular time to sell. And the targetted price is N300 to N700 per kg. Marketing is very important.

We combine it with capsicum which is produced in a nethouse, and just a small open field section for habanero and chill too.

Open field: tomato, habanero and chilli
Nethouse: capsicum
We use about 3 plots of land (max).

I hope I have answered your question.
Re: How can I fast-ripen my Tomatoe plantation at once, Help! by vhickky(f): 6:13pm On Jun 27, 2018
olajide14:
Hello N landers, Can anyone help with how I can fast ripen my Tomatoe farm, I have more than one acre of Tomatoe waiting to be ripen, i started early this year with manual irrigation, targeting peak period like this, But my mature Tomatoe refused to ripe maybe because of the cold rain weather, I need advise and suggestions from fellow Agro-niralander on how to fast ripen the whole Tomatoe on vine , a friend suggested I should use calcium carbide Aka cambad , but the problem with this method is that I will need to harvest mature green unripe Tomatoe and add calcium carbide during storage. Can someone advice me on how I can get whole Tomatoe plantation ripped once while on vine. Pls help
how far sir? have you been able to get a solution to the issue, please can you give an update on how you did it, or should I send you a PM?
Re: How can I fast-ripen my Tomatoe plantation at once, Help! by majorgr: 6:59pm On Jun 27, 2018
as long as they are physiologically mature, you can harvest them, they immediately will begin the process of ripening, this way, you can even transport it to longer distances it will ripe on the road.. dont leave them on the vine it will take longer periods for it to ripe if left on the vine but as long as they are mature enough harvest them it would not take time for them to ripe

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

5 Tonnes Black Cow Horn Available For Sale In Lagos / Book And Pre-order For Your 1 Month Old Noiler And Broiler / Acres of land for sale In Ibadan South With Survey Plan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.