Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,457 members, 7,808,630 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:30 PM

1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. (2703 Views)

Marseille Vs Lyon Game Called OFF After Shocking Case Of Team Coach Attacked / Manchester United: Carrick To Step Down As First Team Coach / Real Madrid Declared Spain National Team Caoch As Next Manager. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by Samunique(m): 10:20pm On Jun 24, 2018
Former Spain national team coach Javier Clemente has laughed off calls by Super Eagles skipper Mikel Obi asking Croatia coach Zlatko Dalic to play his regulars against Iceland on their final Group D game of the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup on Tuesday.
Following Croatia’s qualification into the round of 16 with a game to spare, there are reports that Dalic could rest some of his key players like Luka Modric, Ivan Rakitic, Ivan Perisic and Mario Mandzukic.
And reacting to the report, Obi called on Dalic to show sportsmanship and field his best players against Iceland, believing the outcome of the game could have an effect in the game between Nigeria and Argentina which will also be played on Tuesday.
Iceland could qualify ahead of Nigeria and Argentina if the debutants beat Croatia by a wide margin and the Super Eagles and Argentina draw.
But Clemente who was Spain head coach at the 1998 World Cup in France when they crashed in the group stage, was having none of Mikel’s call for sportsmanship.
At the 1998 World Cup, Spain who lost 3-2 to the Super Eagles in their opening group game, needed the Eagles to avoid defeat against Paraguay while Clemente’s team had to beat Bulgaria to progress into the round of 16.
Having already qualified for the round of 16 following wins against Spain and Bulgaria, Super Eagles key players like Austin Okocha, Victor Ikpeba, Okechukwu Uche, Celestine Babayaro and Mutiu Adepoju were all rested against Paraguay.
Paraguay went on to beat the Eagles 3-1 and progressed while despite thrashing Bulgaria 6-1, Clemente’s Spain crashed out.
Recalling the events that unfolded at the 1998 World Cup, Clemente tweeted on Sunday: “Obi Mikel of Nigeria asks Croatia for sportsmanship and wants them to plays with the regulars.
“Nigeria in ’98 played with their substitutes against Paraguay and lost, Spain crashed out. That day it seemed sportsmanship was not important.”

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ex-spain-coach-clemente-now-mikel-wants-sportsmanship-from-croatia-nigeria-rested-players-in-98/
Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by HARDDON: 10:30pm On Jun 24, 2018
Ouch!

The man with the vendetta touch! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Eagles? YOu have heard it, We have to win Argentina come what may and put this guy to shame

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by Acjohn(m): 10:31pm On Jun 24, 2018
Nigerians better win to shame that guy, if not he will laugh the forever

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by saintkeppy(m): 10:50pm On Jun 24, 2018
You see

Had it been we drew against Croatia, but this same Iceland qualify ahead of Croatia in the Euro world cup Qualifyin'Series, they can be stubborn. Iceland need win like 2 or 3goals to stand a chance.
Croatia get bench sha, we pray they hold the Ice guys for 90mins.
na for Naija to win their Game simple!
Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by zeenaman: 10:56pm On Jun 24, 2018
Mikel should stop acting like a failure-prone coward, and focus of winning Argentina. It's too early for speculation. No excuse for failure

4 Likes

Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jun 24, 2018
The man has been pained for 20 years! cheesy grin

Anyway, Nigeria will beat Argentina tongue

4 Likes

Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by Abdulnur(m): 11:02pm On Jun 24, 2018
If he like, let him lend Spaniards to Argentina.Rohr explored unexplored asset, thats going to Messify the Argentines.

3 Likes

Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by EbukaHades10(m): 11:14pm On Jun 24, 2018
Ogun kill am
Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by WizzPoll: 11:57pm On Jun 24, 2018
if we beat Argentina all this nonsense will count for nothing

3 Likes

Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by webincomeplus(m): 5:23am On Jun 25, 2018
LOL! What made it even more painful for Spain that year was that they walloped Bulgaria 6-1 in their final game. But that result turned out useless.
Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by coolebux(m): 5:56am On Jun 25, 2018
All I see here is "vendetta"
Spaniards are known for keeping malice
So nothing new to me

The former coach decided to shake our Innoson plastic table small gringringrin
Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by bro4u: 6:29am On Jun 25, 2018
Someone should let this man know that vengeance belongs to God alone grin
Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by abbeyty(m): 6:56am On Jun 25, 2018
Lol, so this thing still dey pain the man for over 20years? Wa wa ok
Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by RemedyLab: 7:13am On Jun 25, 2018
Let your health win...check my signature
Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by Rickjordan(m): 7:36am On Jun 25, 2018
we dont need his bleeping help,let's defeat Argentina nothing else

1 Like

Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by Encrypted: 7:48am On Jun 25, 2018
As much as I want to be positive here , I can’t help but think Argentina is going to rain goals on us.

They know they still have a chance and with the talent they have , I can’t help but think they will get the Job done this time.

Our defense has been shaky and If the coach plays 2 strikers (Aguero & Higuain) , I’m not sure we’ll be able to handle it.

Aguero and Higuain will be the distraction , putting less attention on Messi and giving him chance to show how dangerous his left foot is.

I hope the eagles prepare (and defend) well and make everyone proud.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by wayne4loan: 8:36am On Jun 25, 2018
The man is right... Karma is bitchh
Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by jbtobsyn(m): 9:02am On Jun 25, 2018
Encrypted:
As much as I want to be positive here , I can’t help but think Argentina is going to rain goals on us.

They know they still have a chance and with the talent they have , I can’t help but think they will get the Job done this time.

Our defense has been shaky and If the coach plays 2 strikers (Aguero & Higuain) , I’m not sure we’ll be able to handle it.

Aguero and Higuain will be the distraction , putting less attention on Messi and giving him chance to show how dangerous his left foot is.

I hope the eagles prepare (and defend) well and make everyone proud.
So you think we went there to play abi. Argentina will improve and we also will improve. I don't know why you people are afraid. We didn't go to the world cup to play. We went there to give our best and we shall make it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by Lordcenturion2(m): 10:01am On Jun 25, 2018
Mikel is a nonsense captain, wats ur business with Croatia selection, if u handle ur profession well and do ur work well, u won't be here using style to beg, mikel rates in both matches is disgraceful for the whole captain who suppose to carry his team mates along... He only good in pass back, the worst captain in the history of Nigeria.. Just retire from international after world cup and let Musa take over...

2 Likes

Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by Randy100: 10:11am On Jun 25, 2018
What Nigeria did in 1998 was very wrong. Maybe karma has come knocking.
Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by chibuthanks: 10:40am On Jun 25, 2018
ARGENTINA ALL D WAY SE SHOULD COME BACK THEY HAV TRIED
Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by EmekusTHEgreat(m): 11:11am On Jun 25, 2018
We didn't win

1 Like

Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by johnmartus(m): 12:15pm On Jun 25, 2018
I said it those guys can't be trusted at all. The match you don't play yet fear grip you . wait there and call for failure of other .
Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by Emmiasky(m): 1:13pm On Jun 25, 2018
who's making noise there? grin grin grin

If you struggle with admission or know someone who is and is feeling down, please watch this and share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0GxWy3acNE&t=77s
Re: 1998' Spain National Team Coach: "It's Pay Back Time For Nigeria. by bennyann: 3:39pm On Jun 25, 2018
Chai!!

Mikel fall hand sha

(1) (Reply)

Week 14 Pool Fixture 2020 / Ever Heard of Stefano Okaka Chuka?? / Again, Nigeria Falls In Fifa Ranking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.