Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,518 members, 7,808,888 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:40 PM

I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! (71306 Views)

Spent About 14,500 On This Sweet Okra Soup that will last 6 months. / See The Nsala (White) Soup That Will Make You Keep Asking For More (Photos,Video / Recommend N3k Soup That Will Last For 1 Week For A Family Of 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by Phut(f): 7:05am On Jun 26, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Another name for okro is OKRA. He is right.
The original name is Okro. The eating of Okro was a tradition taken by enslaved Africans across the Atlantic to North America, South America and the Carribean. Because of the passage of time, loss of language etc. it came to be mispronounced as Okra. I say stick with the original especially as a Nigerian who knows better.

The English name of the vegetable is Lady Finger. Otherwise stick with the original pronunciation (Okro) and not a mispronunciation which arose as a result of time and circumstance

4 Likes

Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by Freestainworld(m): 7:08am On Jun 26, 2018
I hope , I am not the only one noticing that this soup looks like PDP vs APC querreling.

1 Like

Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by Butterflyleo: 7:09am On Jun 26, 2018
Phut:

The original name is Okro. The eating of Okro was a tradition taken by enslaved Africans across the Atlantic to North America, South America and the Carribean. Because of the passage of time, loss of language etc. it came to be mispronounced as Okra. I say stick with the original especially as a Nigerian who knows better.

The English name of the vegetable is Lady Finger. Otherwise stick with the original pronunciation (Okro) and not a mispronunciation which arose as a result of time and circumstance

You miss the point. Be it okro or okra both are right. Saying one is original is archaic right now. One may be indigenous to Nigeria as okro pronunciation but no longer so elsewhere and even if someone says okra you already know it to mean okro so both of you are right.

If the British call it lady finger or okra, when you get to the UK tell them you want to buy okro and not lady finger or okra and see how they would respond to you.

4 Likes

Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by Rejoice5000(f): 7:12am On Jun 26, 2018
ITbomb:
The soup resemble Lagos bar beach
Hahahahaha
Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by Raylight2(m): 7:14am On Jun 26, 2018
Am I free to laugh? Can I laugh a little?
Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by Phut(f): 7:15am On Jun 26, 2018
Butterflyleo:

You miss the point. Be it okro or okra both are right. Saying one is original is archaic right now. One may be indigenous to Nigeria as okro pronunciation but no longer so elsewhere and even if someone says okra you already know it to mean okro so both of you are right.

If the British call it lady finger or okra, when you get to the UK tell them you want to buy okro and not lady finger or okra and see how they would respond to you.

I live in the U.S. I buy it all the time. I call it Okro and they totally understand what I am asking for. Wake with your “archaic” talk. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

BTW, this is a Nigerian forum. Nigerians always trying to be more British than the British undecided

4 Likes

Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by Rejoice5000(f): 7:20am On Jun 26, 2018
Funny comments,op next time ask for ACHI @the market add it to the egusi soup it will be tick.lol the soup looks like where dey park sand @the river bank.
Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by yourstar: 7:26am On Jun 26, 2018
OK let me help... Steam ur ingredients very well with little water no matter how small it is. Mix the egusi with water and stir, then fry with oil, pour ur ingredients and add water little by little... Note: cook Egusi with scanty vegetable leaf or bitter leaf. Eguzi needs small onions unlike other vegetable soups. Jisike
Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by dabiton: 7:27am On Jun 26, 2018
Elder001:

What do you mean by "you even tried being a man”?

See how primitive, uncivilized and patriarchal the Nigerian society is.

So men don't cook and shouldn't bother?

I still don't understand the rationale behind this you're man so you tried comment..

“Primitive, uncivilized and patriachal” because someone said a man tried cooking.... which type of deluded over-reaction is this
For your information there is nothing uncivilized about gender roles but people like you make it look so. You demean women for playing the natural role of nurturing a family while the father figure does provide for his family- it is how the society was organized and nothing bad about it. Will you not find it strange that men still are expected to propose to a woman, pay her bride price and is expected to be a provider?
What is wrong in a woman making her contributions based on thier natural strengths and tendencies?? Don’t bring the nonsense about equality into every simple discuss using a warped logic. Men and women are not the same and that is not communicating superiority. Why for example is it that women are the only gender that can carry children and have the capacity to withstand the greatest pain known to man- child birth? Women are generally empowered with immense capacity to nurture while men are endowed with instincts to to provide. Same holds in nature. Things have changed a bit but that is not to say there should not be natural division of labor and responsibilities.
There is a sense in which each gender is enabled by nature with some capacity that the other gender is not. I can have a robust debate with you or anyone on this matter so that we can attempt to understand that the genders are not enemies and nature was not partial with its endowments- as long as the discuss will not involve insults and disrespect, of course I can hold my own in that space as well.
Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by Nobody: 7:28am On Jun 26, 2018
even the ladies that can't cook well, will comment.
Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by xynniey(f): 7:34am On Jun 26, 2018
FraNKAPP:
I'm frustrated. This is the third time that I'm facing this issue. I don't know what I did to my village people. �

Why is it that anytime I cook Egwusi soup, the soup will divide itself into two? The egwusi/vegetables/ingredients will go one side and the water will go the other side. Out of frustrations, I have finished the meat and I'm about to get rid of the soup now. I don't know what else to do. I'm frustrated.

Please, my people, I need your help urgently. How can I make a good Egwusi soup that the ingredients doesn't quarrel with the water? If you have the step-by-step guide on how to make a good Egwusi soup, please send it to me because that's my favourite soup. Make me, *Frank Umeadi* happy, please.

Note: This does not mean that I'm not a good husband material o. I'm just preparing myself and I believe that no time is late.

Thank you so much as I await your positive response.

Its from the egusi. Its a new egusi.(just like new yam cant be used for porridge)
Secondly, nextime add waterleaf to the egusi before other leaves (it will help thicken the soup. Or u cn add alittle achi). Except if you are going to use only vegetable leaves.
I hope this helps
Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by Butterflyleo: 7:36am On Jun 26, 2018
Phut:

I live in the U.S. I buy it all the time. I call it Okro and they totally understand what I am asking for. Wake with your “archaic” talk. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

BTW, this is a Nigerian forum. Nigerians always trying to be more British than the British undecided

They may understand you because they sense you meant okra which they are used to calling it.

I am not trying to be more British than the Queen but simply letting you know that you need to get off your high horse and embrace the world and whatever they choose to "correctly" call a thing because even as okra it is also correct.

This being a Nigerian forum does not mean that only Nigerians are here and also does not mean that everyone must embrace our way of saying stuff.

Same way you insist on okro they can also insist on their okra or lady finger. The ability to be flexible with our understanding is key and that is what the Americans where you are are doing with you whenever you say okro rather than okra. Get it?

5 Likes

Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by Sexytemi(f): 7:40am On Jun 26, 2018
FraNKAPP:
I'm frustrated. This is the third time that I'm facing this issue. I don't know what I did to my village people. �

Why is it that anytime I cook Egwusi soup, the soup will divide itself into two? The egwusi/vegetables/ingredients will go one side and the water will go the other side. Out of frustrations, I have finished the meat and I'm about to get rid of the soup now. I don't know what else to do. I'm frustrated.

Please, my people, I need your help urgently. How can I make a good Egwusi soup that the ingredients doesn't quarrel with the water? If you have the step-by-step guide on how to make a good Egwusi soup, please send it to me because that's my favourite soup. Make me, *Frank Umeadi* happy, please.

Note: This does not mean that I'm not a good husband material o. I'm just preparing myself and I believe that no time is late.

It depends on the vegetable, if its ugwu(pumpkin) leaf it drys up the water and you don't need to add much water, even oziza leaf drys up the water, but if its green leaf and some other vegetables like that you need to first per boil the leaf a little o. fire so that the excess water can come out, then you drain the vegetable very well and after its well drained you add it into the egusi thats already on fire, make sure there's no much water in it.
Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by Nobody: 7:48am On Jun 26, 2018
onlinetomola:
Lol... nothing wey you no go fit see finish for this nairaland...dis one wey Onion represent meat for your soup so lipsrsealed Ha APC una don see wetin una cause and you still want Progress from una deceitful Change. E no go work !

Ggty
Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by Phut(f): 7:48am On Jun 26, 2018
Butterflyleo:

They may understand you because they sense you meant okra which they are used to calling it.

I am not trying to be more British than the Queen but simply letting you know that you need to get off your high horse and embrace the world and whatever they choose to "correctly" call a thing because even as okra it is also correct.

This being a Nigerian forum does not mean that only Nigerians are here and also does not mean that everyone must embrace our way of saying stuff.

Same way you insist on okro they can also insist on their okra or lady finger. The ability to be flexible with our understanding is key and that is what the Americans where you are are doing with you whenever you say okro rather than okra. Get it?

Well you need to get off your low horse and grow some self esteem. Chinese, Japanese, Mexicans etc all propagate their culture with pride. All over the U.S. there are Chinatowns, Koreatowns etc. These towns grew because of the pride this people took in their culture and their desire to propagate said culture. And trust Americans and more than willing to learn such culture as long as you believe in self. Unfortunately, some of you are too beggarly to propagate anything. Always trying to fit in. Bunch of lemmings!

4 Likes

Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by Lilimax(f): 7:54am On Jun 26, 2018
Elder001:

Okay..

Ingredients :
Shaki,meat,dried fish, egusi, fresh pepper, palm oil, tomatoes, onion, pumpkin (ugu) or bitter leaf, crayfish and Maggi.

Method :
Heat the oil on the fire. Grind and mix the melon with water into paste, grind the tomatoes, pepper, onion and fry in the already heated oil. Add salt and Maggi to taste, leave to summer for about 5-10minutes and add the mixed melon, add the boiled shaki ,meat ,dried fish and crayfish and add little water and vegetable leaf to allow to cook for sometime until it is ready to be served.
Tomatoes ke inside egusi soup?
The gods must be crazy smiley

1 Like

Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by lobell: 8:05am On Jun 26, 2018
ev4real:

Your app is always crashing, i have uninstalled it.

This is cause for concern. What Phone model and android version are you using?
Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by jrusky(m): 8:07am On Jun 26, 2018
ewa26:

pls, is there a difference between how Ibo and Yoruba tribes of nigeria cook jellof rice, which one too sweet pass

Bro I understand but going the way you are saying it will lead to tribal rants this morning which does not worth it. The guy only asked a question and probably seeking good and honest opinion and I presume he should be given my opinion though...no offense. Thanks God bless
Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by Butterflyleo: 8:10am On Jun 26, 2018
Phut:

Well you need to get off your low horse and grow some self esteem. Chinese, Japanese, Mexicans etc all propagate their culture with pride. All over the U.S. there are Chinatowns, Koreatowns etc. These towns grew because of the pride this people took in their culture and their desire to propagate said culture. And trust Americans and more than willing to learn such culture as long as you believe in self. Unfortunately, some of you are too beggarly to propagate anything. Always trying to fit in. Bunch of lemmings!

Nobody is stopping you from growing a naija town in the US and that is not even what I am on about.

I am simply saying that you were in error when you tried to correct an already correct expression for the word Okra by saying okro. I even said both are correct but you obviously have a blind spot when it comes to properly understanding what you are told or read.

Here you are drifting off to building cultural communities which is rather outlandish considering what I was trying to pass across to you as a message.

I could say that you are the one with an extremely low self esteem about yourself if you feel that by accepting a contrary yet correct pronunciation to what you know is a huge problem for you yet you feel totally comfy when you do the same and the Americans accept yours.

You were obviously too beggarly which was why you opted to move to the US to begin with. Learn not to sound so condesending when trying to say anything. You began that way and you are still continuing that way and that is totally wrong.

You know what you know and they know that they know but they will not change their already existing language for you and neither will you change yours for them so why not embrace what each says which is still very correct from each others perspective? THAT IS ALL I AM SAYING.

Its folks like you who say the British and Americans are wrong when they both express English and your vernacular is correct or you say the Americans are right while the British are wrong and vice versa. Language is simply for communication and what suites and is accepted by one in his or her culture is right from their point of view but that does not make others from other cultures wrong when they also have the same things in their own places but have to call it by their own names.

Perhaps the yorubas are wrong for calling plantain dodo knowing very well that is not what the igbos or hausas or even the Americans call it.

Heal and stop being bitter.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by Phut(f): 8:14am On Jun 26, 2018
Butterflyleo:

[s]Nobody is stopping you from growing a naija town in the US and that is not even what I am on about.

I am simply saying that you were in error when you tried to correct an already correct expression for the word Okra by saying okro. I even said both are correct but you obviously have a blind spot when it comes to properly understanding what you are told or read.

Here you are drifting off to building cultural communities which is rather outlandish considering what I was trying to pass across to you as a message.

I could say that you are the one with an extremely low self esteem about yourself if you feel that by accepting a contrary yet correct pronunciation to what you know is a huge problem for you yet you feel totally comfy when you do the same and the Americans accept yours.

You were obviously too beggarly which was why you opted to move to the US to begin with. Learn not to sound so condesending when trying to say anything. You began that way and you are still continuing that way and that is totally wrong.

You know what you know and they know that they know but they will not change their already existing language for you and neither will you change yours for them so why not embrace what each says which is still very correct from each others perspective? THAT IS ALL I AM SAYING.

Its folks like you who say the British and Americans are wrong when they both express English and your vernacular is correct or you say the Americans are right while the British are wrong and vice versa. Language is simply for communication and what suites and is accepted by one and his or her culture is right from their point of view but that does not make others from other cultures wrong when they also have the same things in their own places but have to call it by their own names.

Perhaps the yorubas are wrong for calling plantain dodo knowing very well that is not what the igbos or hausas or even the Americans call it.

Heal and stop being bitter.[/s]
Drivel!!! Didn’t read!
Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by Butterflyleo: 8:17am On Jun 26, 2018
Phut:

Drivel!!! Didn’t read!

If you had read it, you still would have had a blind spot with understanding it any way so good thing you saved yourself the embarrassment.

4 Likes

Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by Phut(f): 8:26am On Jun 26, 2018
Butterflyleo:

[s]If you had read it, you still would have had a blind spot with understanding it any way so good thing you saved yourself the embarrassment. [/s]

More drivel!!
Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by MorningDew2017(f): 8:30am On Jun 26, 2018
i don't mind assisting you with cooking your Egusi soup if you don't mind Frank?
Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by joblessmilliona(m): 8:33am On Jun 26, 2018
This is Naija
Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by xtianh(m): 8:33am On Jun 26, 2018
FraNKAPP:

grin grin Official Soup of the Super Eagles......

Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by obyikye(f): 8:44am On Jun 26, 2018
FraNKAPP:

copy copy.....
Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by AreaFada2: 8:54am On Jun 26, 2018
Sijo01:

Is that why the ingredient is quarreling with the water embarassed

Lol. Everything and everybody dey vex for 9ja. Maybe his ingredients just like keeping malice with water. grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by Troublemaker007(m): 8:59am On Jun 26, 2018
ITbomb:
The soup resemble Lagos bar beach

Oh my God!

Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by Felicitalisco(f): 9:02am On Jun 26, 2018
You posted this on an Igbo group on facebook
Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by ashpee(m): 9:17am On Jun 26, 2018
Get a straw and sip up the water, your Egusi soup will be complete.

But how do you want the soup not to be watery when you emptied a drum of water inside?? Na community soup?

Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by NaijaWorker: 9:20am On Jun 26, 2018
looks like stadium wey rain carry
Re: I'm Frustrated! This Egwusi Soup That I Prepared Quarrels With Water. Help! by Marsnizz: 9:30am On Jun 26, 2018
The only reason behind your soup is too much water.Note,melon seed does not absorb water, that much.only powder do absorb excess water.kerosine and water are immiscible likewise any oily seed that release oil cannot be completely mixed with water .No matter how you prepare it,when it get cool or put in a flat surface the seed will reabsorb it oil and release water with little evaporation because the water isn't the source of the melon seed.pls do not allow to much water in your soup even if it is not Egusi.make sure the water in your soup dries up by 90% before dropping the pot down from fire

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nunuk Nuraini Is Dead! Creator Of Indomie Instant Noodle Dies / Indomie Generation Doesn't Know The Drink Called Goldspot And Olo / Shaki: What I Saw On The meat(towel) In The Market This Morning(picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.