Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,787 members, 7,806,180 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:38 PM

Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? (849 Views)

Why Are Some Christians Not Following Jesus Closely? / People's Assumptions When Some Christians Suffer Misfortunes / What Made The Early Christians So Devoted? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jun 26, 2018
Now, we can all agree to an extent that metaphysical and or paranormal activities are existent. What pains me is the way some 'Men of God' (of all denominations) prey in this and turn their entire congregation into paranoid Christians.
As a result of this, a lot of people attribute the sudden appearance of; Birds, Bats, Cats, Cockroaches, Cobwebs, Spiders, Snakes, and even Rats, to supernatural beings using them to monitor their lives or bring them bad luck.

This has a negative effect on their lives because when things are not going as expected, rather than procure solutions, you will most likely find them reporting the situation to their pastors, who in turn beef up their paranoia by attributing their problems to the spirit world. This subtly reduces their faith in God and increases their faith in the pastor.

This singular act breeds backwardness. How can we end this menace with this generation?
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jun 26, 2018
Earthbound:
Now, we can all agree to an extent that metaphysical and or paranormal activities are existent. What pains me is the way some 'Men of God' (of all denominations) prey in this and turn their entire congregation into paranoid Christians.
As a result of this, a lot of people attribute the sudden appearance of; Birds, Bats, Cats, Cockroaches, Cobwebs, Spiders, Snakes, and even Rats, to supernatural beings using them to monitor their lives or bring them bad luck.

This has a negative effect on their lives because when things are not going as expected, rather than procure solutions, you will most likely find them reporting the situation to their pastors, who in turn beef up their paranoia by attributing their problems to the spirit world. This subtly reduces their faith in God and increases their faith in the pastor.

This singular act breeds backwardness. How can we end this menace with this generation?

Christianity is not a cover for obstinate stupidity, it's the devil that is promoting senselessness in order to scare honesthearted people away from taking Christ or the Bible seriously. So as long as Satan is let on the loose many more stupid and foolish ideologies will continue to erupt. As for your question "How can we end this menace with this generation?" Jesus commissioned a preaching and teaching program some 2000 years ago, it was to unravel all the nonsense and ingredients Satan fabricated as forms of worship to keep honesthearted persons busy,Jesus' program will benefit mankind in many ways. First of all you must attend Christian meetings in other to know what the Holy Spirit is revealing to the congregation of God to keep each person unblemished and to encourage one another,secondly you have to set a time within each week that you'll be going to knock on the doors of your neighbors with a Christian partner to chat with them about what each person feels about God and how HE should be worshipped, there you will see how and know the level of ignorance and religious security within your neighborhood, you will also be known for the preaching and teaching program to the extent that if anyone should feel he/she has something special or unique than yours they'll first think of speaking with you. What has God got to say about this? Well an ancient prophet of God prophesied that during the last days there will be a lot of confusion regarding how to worship God acceptably but for faithful and honesthearted people he wrote "you will notice a religious group that's always going about to discuss with their neighbors about God and how to worship HIM acceptably" in conclusion "this will serve as a sign for you to IDENTIFY those having the key of knowledge to pure worship" Malachi 3:16,18 This was 500 years before Jesus later commissioned the preaching and teaching program in fulfilment of that prophecy, when He was teaching His followers on how to go about it they find it so boring,tiring and downgrading but those who remain with Him got a blessing from God as Jesus who never prayed for or with anyone before PRAYED with this faithful men! John 17:1-26 please take note of verses 8&9. So before His ascension back to heaven(His home) He promised them that God will empower them by HIS spirit to do this work to the ends of the entire inhabited earth. Matthew 28:18-20 Act 1:8,9 Satan immediately initiated his own counterfeit religion to overshadow what Jesus commissioned. Matthew 13:24-30 And that was how many people started forming all sort of worship (in Jesus name) claiming Christians. Today you will see those group in your neighborhood, please welcome them as learn a lot from them and don't forget that what majority were taught as acts of Christianity today is totally different from what Jesus actually taught, so instead of arguing with them why not humbly ask them thought provoking questions and see how much they can prove the truth from God's word? (the Bible) Isaiah 54:17

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by Nobody: 7:58am On Jun 27, 2018
Riofidelio:
Christianity is not a cover for obstinate stupidity, it's the devil that is promoting senselessness in order to scare honesthearted people away from taking Christ or the Bible seriously. So as long as Satan is let on the loose many more stupid and foolish ideologies will continue to erupt. As for your question "How can we end this menace with this generation?" Jesus commissioned a preaching and teaching program some 2000 years ago, it was to unravel all the nonsense and ingredients Satan fabricated as forms of worship to keep honesthearted persons busy,Jesus' program will benefit mankind in many ways. First of all you must attend Christian meetings in other to know what the Holy Spirit is revealing to the congregation of God to keep each person unblemished and to encourage one another,secondly you have to set a time within each week that you'll be going to knock on the doors of your neighbors with a Christian partner to chat with them about what each person feels about God and how HE should be worshipped, there you will see how and know the level of ignorance and religious security within your neighborhood, you will also be known for the preaching and teaching program to the extent that if anyone should feel he/she has something special or unique than yours they'll first think of speaking with you. What has God got to say about this? Well an ancient prophet of God prophesied that during the last days there will be a lot of confusion regarding how to worship God acceptably but for faithful and honesthearted people he wrote "you will notice a religious group that's always going about to discuss with their neighbors about God and how to worship HIM acceptably" in conclusion "this will serve as a sign for you to IDENTIFY those having the key of knowledge to pure worship" Malachi 3:16,18 This was 500 years before Jesus later commissioned the preaching and teaching program in fulfilment of that prophecy, when He was teaching His followers on how to go about it they find it so boring,tiring and downgrading but those who remain with Him got a blessing from God as Jesus who never prayed for or with anyone before PRAYED with this faithful men! John 17:1-26 please take note of verses 8&9. So before His ascension back to heaven(His home) He promised them that God will empower them by HIS spirit to do this work to the ends of the entire inhabited earth. Matthew 28:18-20 Act 1:8,9 Satan immediately initiated his own counterfeit religion to overshadow what Jesus commissioned. Matthew 13:24-30 And that was how many people started forming all sort of worship (in Jesus name) claiming Christians. Today you will see those group in your neighborhood, please welcome them as learn a lot from them and don't forget that what majority were taught as acts of Christianity today is totally different from what Jesus actually taught, so instead of arguing with them why not humbly ask them thought provoking questions and see how much they can prove the truth from God's word? (the Bible) Isaiah 54:17
Good one. To be honest here, I'm not all about going door to door. The harbingers of this menace command millions of followers and the 'virus' has eaten deep into the populace
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by budaatum: 11:03am On Jun 27, 2018
Earthbound:

It is amusing isn't it. A person claims to believe in Christ, yet they fear that Christ does not protect them. What a waste of Christ, I say, or the pointlessness of believing. It's why I say "believing" is rather silly, and that knowing is much better.

If people bother to understand better by diligently seeking knowledge, they'd have the wisdom to overcome this nonsense. But 'understanding' that leads to such knowledge has been shielded by a cherubim with a flashy sword for fear they reach up for the fruit of the tree of life itself and know how godly they really are!

In the most fundamental form, the "cherubim with a flashy sword", is the same as the terror and fear one imparts in one's own child in the guise of teaching them stuff, and expressed in the stupid statement "the fear of the Lord", which really ought to have read "The love of the Lord", for better meaning!

This generation, has less fear than the generation that came before for they learn from the ignorance of their parents, who feared less than their parents. The next generation will fear exponentially less because they learn from the ignorance of their grandparents and from you their parents. So just teach your children and the menace will depart from them.

As an aside, atheist that I am, with non-excessive religious parents at the time they bore me, they baptised me with a name that means "The Lord is my Shepherd". Could you imagine the stupidity of fear in a person with a name like that?!

Do note that the above is intentionally convoluted.
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jun 27, 2018
budaatum:

It is amusing isn't it. A person claims to believe in Christ, yet they fear that Christ does not protect them. What a waste of Christ, I say, or the pointlessness of believing. It's why I say "believing" is rather silly, and that knowing is much better.

If people bother to understand better by diligently seeking knowledge, they'd have the wisdom to overcome this nonsense. But 'understanding' that leads to such knowledge has been shielded by a cherubim with a flashy sword for fear they reach up for the fruit of the tree of life itself and know how godly they really are!

In the most fundamental form, the "cherubim with a flashy sword", is the same as the terror and fear one imparts in one's own child in the guise of teaching them stuff, and expressed in the stupid statement "the fear of the Lord", which really ought to have read "The love of the Lord", for better meaning!

This generation, has less fear than the generation that came before for they learn from the ignorance of their parents, who feared less than their parents. The next generation will fear exponentially less because they learn from the ignorance of their grandparents and from you their parents. So just teach your children and the menace will depart from them.

As an aside, atheist that I am, with non-excessive religious parents at the time they bore me, they baptised me with a name that means "The Lord is my Shepherd". Could you imagine the stupidity of fear in a person with a name like that?!

Do note that the above is intentionally convoluted.

My folks are excessively religious. Well, my father mostly, and in recent years it's been rubbing off on my mother. Some of his actions are mind blowing and things he attributes to the spiritual are just plain ridiculous.
I know the reason though, it is another characteristic of many Christians. The frequenting of different churches with different doctrines for the sole purpose of fulfilling materialistic need. I'm Catholic by birth but I have been to Celestial, Cherubim and seraphim, Mountain of fire, and CAC all because kids are supposed to obey their folks. I lost my faith along the line.
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by budaatum: 1:16pm On Jun 27, 2018
Earthbound:

My folks are excessively religious. Well, my father mostly, and in recent years it's been rubbing off on my mother. Some of his actions are mind blowing and things he attributes to the spiritual are just plain ridiculous.
I know the reason though, it is another characteristic of many Christians. The frequenting of different churches with different doctrines for the sole purpose of fulfilling materialistic need. I'm Catholic by birth but I have been to Celestial, Cherubim and seraphim, Mountain of fire, and CAC all because kids are supposed to obey their folks. I lost my faith along the line.
Our poor parents. Mine were rather opposed to the religion prevalent when I was born, only for time to pass and them becoming like those they've always abhorred such that I began to wonder if old age addled their brain.

We must evolve and not present the same to our offspring!
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jun 27, 2018
budaatum:

We must evolve and not present the same to our offspring!

This is exactly what I think about daily. Not just religiously but in all spheres. We're supposed to learn from our parents how not to raise our kids. Check out this thread https://www.nairaland.com/4566746/name-parenting-trait-parents-never

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by budaatum: 1:39pm On Jun 27, 2018
Earthbound:

This is exactly what I think about daily. Not just religiously but in all spheres. We're supposed to learn from our parents how not to raise our kids. Check out this thread https://www.nairaland.com/4566746/name-parenting-trait-parents-never
Good post. Especially the bit about comparing one with the children of others.

I recall when I finally blew up and compared the parents of a cousin I was compared to with my own parents. They were wealthy and could afford to provide better opportunities for their child than mine could for me. I was rather content with my lot as I knew quite a lot of people who were relatively worse off.

Then my cousin's parents died when my cousin was still young.

"Do you want to die too ma?" I asked ma, and she never compared us again!
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jun 27, 2018
budaatum:

Good post. Especially the bit about comparing one with the children of others.

I recall when I finally blew up and compared the parents of a cousin I was compared to with my own parents. They were wealthy and could afford to provide better opportunities for their child than mine could for me. I was rather content with my lot as I knew quite a lot of people who were relatively worse off.

Then my cousin's parents died when my cousin was still young.

"Do you want to die too ma?" I asked ma, and she never compared us again!

Exactly! The comparison is usually with people who are well off or have had better opportunities. I'm glad to have experienced this so I wouldn't repeat it to my kids. I would also give them freedom of religion. I know this would be strange but in the end it's the best thing to do

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by budaatum: 2:01pm On Jun 27, 2018
Earthbound:

Exactly! The comparison is usually with people who are well off or have had better opportunities. I'm glad to have experienced this so I wouldn't repeat it to my kids. I would also give them freedom of religion. I know this would be strange but in the end it's the best thing to do
You'd be amazed that "freedom of religion" translates to "freedom of learning", which has the compounded effect of increasing the knowledge in your household and increasing the confidence your child has too.

The CoE has a problem stemming from this fact. As soon as most children turn 16 or leave for university, their parents can't get them to go to church anymore, with most leaving for a pentecostal or leaving church completely. When I talk to these kids about it, they tell me they find the sort of belief their parents have, and the thinking that stems from it, absurd.

Unfortunately, the rigidity of the parents causes conflict in the home as they see it as disobedience of the child. Funnily, though sadly, I remind the parents how they were disobedient to their own parents in not worshipping the idols their parents worshipped. Most refuse to see it however.

Only arrogant and stupid parents would insist their children only learn from themselves. The assumption would have to be that they know it all, which they just possibly can't.
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jun 27, 2018
budaatum:

You'd be amazed that "freedom of religion" translates to "freedom of learning", which has the compounded effect of increasing the knowledge in your household and increasing the confidence your child has too.

The CoE has a problem stemming from this fact. As soon as most children turn 16 or leave for university, their parents can't get them to go to church anymore, with most leaving for a pentecostal or leaving church completely. When I talk to these kids about it, they tell me they find the sort of belief their parents have, and the thinking that stems from it, absurd.

Unfortunately, the rigidity of the parents causes conflict in the home as they see it as disobedience of the child. Funnily, though sadly, I remind the parents how they were disobedient to their own parents in not worshipping the idols their parents worshipped. Most refuse to see it however.

Only arrogant and stupid parents would insist their children only learn from themselves. The assumption would have to be that they know it all, which they just possibly can't.

The know it all part gets me everytime. My dad would literally say 'You people don't know anything' everytime to any suggestion tabled in a situation. There's also the wanting of everything done his way with little or no input from others.

It's crazy, my maternal grandparents are Muslim so is my my paternal grandmother. Only my paternal grandfather was Christian and belonged to the African church denomination. My father single handedly converted to Roman Catholicsm. That you cannot think as to how your children perceive this is beyond me.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by budaatum: 3:03pm On Jun 27, 2018
Earthbound:

The know it all part gets me everytime. My dad would literally say 'You people don't know anything' everytime to any suggestion tabled in a situation. There's also the wanting of everything done his way with little or no input from others.

It's crazy, my maternal grandparents are Muslim so is my my paternal grandmother. Only my paternal grandfather was Christian and belonged to the African church denomination. My father single handedly converted to Roman Catholicsm. That you cannot think as to how your children perceive this is beyond me.
Funny isn't it. When my parent's say I "know nothing", I ask them why they invested so unwisely in educating me, after all, "it is that education that makes me think to say what I say that you are now telling me is 'nothing'"!

In response, my mum is fond of saying "Omo a se be si o". (Your children will do likewise to you). I say, "Ami". If I behave as my parent's do sometimes, and my child does not behave to me like I do to mine, I will bash it's bastard head in because it can't be my child or have my genes!

I refuse to educate my child to know "nothing"!
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jun 27, 2018
budaatum:

Funny isn't it. When my parent's say I "know nothing", I ask them why they invested so unwisely in educating me, after all, "it is that education that makes me think to say what I say that you are now telling me is 'nothing'"!

In response, my mum is fond of saying "Omo a se be si o". (Your children will do likewise to you). I say, "Ami". If I behave as my parent's do sometimes, and my child does not behave to me like I do to mine, I will bash it's bastard head in because it can't be my child or have my genes!

I refuse to educate my child to know "nothing"!
As much as Yoruba parents believe this, it is partly false and is likely not to ever happen. How you raise your kids is what you get as end product

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by budaatum: 4:14pm On Jun 27, 2018
Earthbound:

As much as Yoruba parents believe this, it is partly false and is likely not to ever happen. How you raise your kids is what you get as end product
I guess, in the end, we have to be grateful for the opportunities they've provided us. They've made us who we are and we wouldn't quite be without them.

By the way, you are an example of what I mean when I deride 'believing'. We learn more when we consider what we are told instead of just accepting the facts we are given. The latter is derided in Charles Dicken's 'Hard Times'

’‘Now, what I want is, Facts. Teach these boys and girls nothing but Facts. Facts alone are wanted in life. Plant nothing else, and root out everything else. You can only form the minds of reasoning animals upon Facts: nothing else will ever be of any service to them. This is the principle on which I bring up my own children, and this is the principle on which I bring up these children. Stick to Facts, sir!'

There is a form of education that values critical thinking as opposed to sheepishly accepting the facts as given which, unfortunately for now, is mostly the Nigerian style of educating. But it is gradually changing, albeit slowly, and the paranoia you mentioned diminishes thereby.
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jun 27, 2018
Earthbound:

Nigeria is what we're having now due to the nonchalant attitude of the out going generation! Each of them want their children to become wealthy master over slaves or servants as they go to churches praying and fasting day and night either at home,church or on open hills. They keep praying hard so God could become partial to make some slaves for others even after humans have abolished slavery. This is the mentality they inculcated in the minds of our generation,now majority of them are victims of their own evil thoughts as most children became SELFISH~ doctors,lawyers,teacher,officers(in all the Armed Forces),politicians,engineers and so on. The love of money has eaten deep into the minds of the people even religious teachers love money much more than robbers,this is why they're angry with their children who are now grownups to understand that they never laid a good foundation!
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jun 27, 2018
Wunmifun:
Nigeria is what we're having now due to the nonchalant attitude of the out going generation! Each of them want their children to become wealthy master over slaves or servants as they go to churches praying and fasting day and night either at home,church or on open hills. They keep praying hard so God could become partial to make some slaves for others even after humans have abolished slavery. This is the mentality they inculcated in the minds of our generation,now majority of them are victims of their own evil thoughts as most children became SELFISH~ doctors,lawyers,teacher,officers(in all the Armed Forces),politicians,engineers and so on. The love of money has eaten deep into the minds of the people even religious teachers love money much more than robbers,this is why they're angry with their children who are now grownups to understand that they never laid a good foundation!
My faith in the future would sky rocket if many young people think this way. Money isn't everything.
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jun 27, 2018
budaatum:

I guess, in the end, we have to be grateful for the opportunities they've provided us. They've made us who we are and we wouldn't quite be without them.

By the way, you are an example of what I mean when I deride 'believing'. We learn more when we consider what we are told instead of just accepting the facts we are given. The latter is derided in Charles Dicken's 'Hard Times'

’‘Now, what I want is, Facts. Teach these boys and girls nothing but Facts. Facts alone are wanted in life. Plant nothing else, and root out everything else. You can only form the minds of reasoning animals upon Facts: nothing else will ever be of any service to them. This is the principle on which I bring up my own children, and this is the principle on which I bring up these children. Stick to Facts, sir!'

There is a form of education that values critical thinking as opposed to sheepishly accepting the facts as given which, unfortunately for now, is mostly the Nigerian style of educating. But it is gradually changing, albeit slowly, and the paranoia you mentioned diminishes thereby.

This is gold!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by budaatum: 4:37pm On Jun 27, 2018
Earthbound:

This is gold!
I call it "Religionising". The giving of unquestionable facts. It is what most get from reading the Bible, some sort of fundamentalism, like the mud before God is said to have breathed its spirit into it. And that 'spirit' could be the ability to consider and reason.

Dickens was writing to ridicule and change this sort of unquestioned facts prevalent in his time. Unfortunately, this book of his has not entered the Nigerian psyche, yet.
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jun 27, 2018
budaatum:

I call it "Religionising". The giving of unquestionable facts. It is what most get from reading the Bible, some sort of fundamentalism, like the mud before God is said to have breathed its spirit into it. And that 'spirit' could be the ability to consider and reason.

Dickens was writing to ridicule and change this sort of unquestioned facts prevalent in his time. Unfortunately, this book of his has not entered the Nigerian psyche, yet.
And I doubt it would anytime soon. The best we can do is start from our immediate family.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jun 27, 2018
Earthbound:

The highlighted words are medium Lucifer use to operate. You are wrong on your assertion about pastors making their members to believe in them more than God. In fact you were to generalistic in your assertion. There are many churches that teaches you how to do it yourself. The pastor will not be there all the time when storms arise
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jun 27, 2018
asuustrike2009:

The highlighted words are medium Lucifer use to operate. You are wrong on your assertion about pastors making their members to believe in them more than God. In fact you were to generalistic in your assertion. There are many churches that teaches you how to do it yourself. The pastor will not be there all the time when storms arise
Okay, I've heard.
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Paranoid? by Kobojunkie: 4:11pm On May 16, 2021

The average Christian out there today acts no different from the pagan or idol worshipers. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Reaction As Leke Adeboye Claims The RCCG Makes Trillions More Than All The Banks / A Catholic Priest In Enugu Playing Ogene In A Function. / Watch Out For The Dogs Of Law - Paul Ellis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.