Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,912 members, 7,806,647 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:48 PM

I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! (11556 Views)

Runall Battery Is The Best Quality And Affordable Car Battery For In Harcourt / Help!!!! My C350 2009 Battery Is Draining / What Brand Of Car Battery Is The Best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by EagleNest(m): 7:33am On Jun 30, 2018
First and foremost, check the health of your ALTERNATOR before doing any other thing.

I suspect your alternator has packed up. Even if you buy a new battery it will still drain out if the alternator is dead.

Without the alternator your electrical system is as good as useless.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by scholes23(m): 7:38am On Jun 30, 2018
pjosh1:
I use a Lexus es 330 and I have changed the battery twice in a week, at first I thought the battery I bought was fake not until I bought the second battery and I still have the same problem. Whenever I park and off the engine the car refuses to start unless I start the engine with another battery then put in back mine. I don't think it's the alternator because sometimes after using another battery to start the car I can still drive it out, park and come back home without giving me problem and sometimes it just won't start​ after I park. I also noticed when I'm driving at night if I put on the headlight my dashboard light will go off, the AC will go off and the DVD system and sometimes even without putting on the headlight​ the AC and DVD goes off.
I'm afraid of calling a rewire to come check it because they sometimes just create extra problems.
I just bought the car not up to a month
check ur alternator

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by crafteck(m): 7:40am On Jun 30, 2018
Your alternator charging amp is low

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by NWAFORH1(m): 7:41am On Jun 30, 2018
The alternator is not charging well, though it my not display battery indicating its faulty, have such issues with my Mazda MPV sometimes around February this year, tried lots of rewire and have bought three batteries before meeting a friend that asked me to buy alternator and has have same issues.......I den decided to buy another alternator and here am thanking him today

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by AutoElectNG: 7:42am On Jun 30, 2018
I am currently working on this vehicle as we speak!

I have zeroed in on the problem, an incorrectly installed aftermarket radio and a shoddy headlight assembly and indicator repair

Currently trying to resolve the mess that was created here.

It resulted in a current draw of over 100 milliamps when the car is turned off!

With the headlight assembly and indicator wiring fixed, it reduced to 35 milliamps.

With the aftermarket radio disconnected, it reduced to less than 10 milliamps.

8 Likes

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by RomanticBob: 7:44am On Jun 30, 2018
Where are you based. If you are not far from Ojuelegba, I know a very good auto engineer who will take your wahala away. I once had similar issue.

Mine was faulty alternator plus parasitic draining. The man even repaired the alternator telling me it was repairable. He also spotted the spot of the drain and fixed it. Now I don't have any electrical problem again. He is around 60 or 70 years old.

Call me on 07030595653 and I will link you with him.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by jrusky(m): 7:47am On Jun 30, 2018
That is strange maybe leakage under or it's one of those fake stuffs out their. Why not go for dry cell I think it's a bit more better.

If these does not answer your question then village people at work because their nothing we've not heard on this forum. Nigeria has suddenly turned strange land bro.
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by kenyguy(m): 7:49am On Jun 30, 2018
My man take your car to a good auto electrician he will fix it well. As a spare parts dealer I have come across it severally. In a simple language what happens is that something is connected directly to the battery so when you turn off the something is still running then draining your battery. First aid to the problem is when you park remove the battery terminal head when you want to start the car fix it back.
Thank You!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by aaadaji: 7:50am On Jun 30, 2018
Same problem happens to me, I bought battery like 4 time suspecting my alternator but na lie. It was an electrical problem, battery was charging at all...I spent 4k to fix it in less than 3min..cheers

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by AgentGoat: 7:52am On Jun 30, 2018
NWAFORH1:
The alternator is not charging well, though it my not display battery indicating its faulty, have such issues with my Mazda MPV sometimes around February this year, tried lots of rewire and have bought three batteries before meeting a friend that asked me to buy alternator and has have same issues.......I den decided to buy another alternator and here am thanking him today
where are the other two ba3 you bought now undecided

No think say I wan beg you for ba3 undecided
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by punche(m): 7:55am On Jun 30, 2018
Bro... It has happened to me before. I spent more than 100k until a guy collected just 3k to fix it. Boss the wire from the alternator to the battery needs to be checked.... Then the problem is solved.

Then I bought 2 battery, 2 alternators, a pcm but still until I met an electrician.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by seyiojomu(m): 7:59am On Jun 30, 2018
If you have checked the alternator and belt driving systems and it checks out that your drain and power loss is not coming from there, I would advise you start checking your convenience features too. Does your car have a built in Bluetooth? If yes, confirm it doesn't stay on after switching off the car. I had a Acura TL whose battery drain was coming from the Bluetooth, I had to disconnect it permanently and it stopped. Search for dome lights and all glove box lights that may sometimes be small and unoticeable also

Finally, get a good electrician to test a your fuse and relay systems to identify which one is using power even after be key is off. It's take a lot of patience. You will definitely find it in the end.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by chronique(m): 8:03am On Jun 30, 2018
Your alternator is probably gone or there are lights turned on.
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by GrammarCheck: 8:07am On Jun 30, 2018
Your alternator is bad.

Change it
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by fikolo: 8:08am On Jun 30, 2018
@ OP, check the following:
1. Alternator
2. Key Fibre (inside the ignition). worn out key Fibre can gave your car same experience.
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by systemz(m): 8:08am On Jun 30, 2018
It's either the batteries are substandard or the alternator is faulty. Nothing else.
Ask the auto-electrician to check well or take the car to an automated and computerized workshop, where artificial intelligence will also assist the diagnosis.
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by dannyjr1(m): 8:17am On Jun 30, 2018
bro.. your alternator is not working.... it doesn't give the battery charge
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by Troublemaker007(m): 8:17am On Jun 30, 2018
pjosh1:
I use a Lexus es 330 and I have changed the battery twice in a week, at first I thought the battery I bought was fake not until I bought the second battery and I still have the same problem. Whenever I park and off the engine the car refuses to start unless I start the engine with another battery then put in back mine. I don't think it's the alternator because sometimes after using another battery to start the car I can still drive it out, park and come back home without giving me problem and sometimes it just won't start​ after I park. I also noticed when I'm driving at night if I put on the headlight my dashboard light will go off, the AC will go off and the DVD system and sometimes even without putting on the headlight​ the AC and DVD goes off.
I'm afraid of calling a rewire to come check it because they sometimes just create extra problems.

How much did you buy the car plz. I want to acquire same this next month for my wife. You will be doing me a great ordeal by telling me bro
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by Imoala: 8:18am On Jun 30, 2018
My brother don't waste your money go straight and buy a Belgium alternator. There lies the problem
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by seunjungle1(m): 8:19am On Jun 30, 2018
Ah that can be dangerous for your car sir. Kindly throw it away to forgone it......

Don't mind me ooo, I don't have one!
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 30, 2018
SolutionMee:
Must you ride
poor man

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by shang002: 8:24am On Jun 30, 2018
Call Mechanic(Rewire) to fix your alternator, alternator can cause drainage of the battery
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by Emycord: 8:26am On Jun 30, 2018
pjosh1:
Why Are You Nigerian Guys Always Like This. Go CHECK Alternator Now. Or You Expect God To Fix This One For You Too?
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by Nobody: 8:27am On Jun 30, 2018
Looks like an alternator problem. Like it or not you will have to involve a rewire but just try get a good one probably referred to you by someone. You could suggest changing the alternator to him and see what he says. I personaly don't think it's a complicated issue
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by Crimond: 8:29am On Jun 30, 2018
The car likely has earthing problems. Check the earth cables for rust or other contamination where the earth cables connect to the chassis of the car, preventing a closed circuit. Even if the alternator is working, an earthing problem will prevent a closed electric circuit.

It then means the car is almost always powered by the battery instead of the alternator which leads to a drain of the battery.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by KayceeClassic(m): 8:33am On Jun 30, 2018
check for a possible Alternator damage.
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by fakati(m): 8:33am On Jun 30, 2018
pjosh1:
You need to call a competent rewire as matter of fact because it has to do worn out fuses.
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by nabegibeg: 8:36am On Jun 30, 2018
pjosh1:

Buy a new battery and or change / check alternator

If you can drive the kind car you can afford it
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by maasoap(m): 8:38am On Jun 30, 2018
tonididdy:

you were sold a faulty car... the car dealer knew of this problem. definitely an electric fault is causing your batteries to drain completely.

when you park at night or for a long time, remove one terminal head of the battery when you are ready to move again, fix it back.

Thank you. I bought a minibus last Saturday, I went there together with my brother and the problem we're having is exactly as the OP stated. The first battery packed up, we went back to change it. The second packed up too. After giving us the third battery which a battery charger certified as good, the dealers told us not to come back again for another replacement.
At this point, I asked my brother if he was sure that the dealers weren't aware of this problem before selling to us. Because, when I recalled the events the day we bought the bus, it was like they were eager to sell that particular bus to us.
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by HoodBillionaire: 8:41am On Jun 30, 2018
u don go buy accodented flooded vehicle
drop the VIN
lets check it.
na alternator.
make dem go fix am.
used to happen to me before.
cd pkayer goboff
ac go off
car go off on top speed
fixed my alternator for 5k
and today na turbo speed
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by AniwetaluEmma(m): 8:51am On Jun 30, 2018
The first thing to check is the battery head contacts. Change or tighten the battery heads if you notice any loose contact. I noticed similar problem in my car last month and this was exactly what I did. For the main time be removing one head of the battery when you want to pack long. Let it not bother you so much.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Armor Bulletproof Suv's For Nigeria Army General's @ Combat. See Pics / Share Your Molue Experience.... / How Much Is Petrol In Your Area?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.