Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,148 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:48 AM

I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! (11559 Views)

Runall Battery Is The Best Quality And Affordable Car Battery For In Harcourt / Help!!!! My C350 2009 Battery Is Draining / What Brand Of Car Battery Is The Best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by incometeacher: 4:59pm On Jun 30, 2018
Oga Nairalanders are not mechanics, don't let someone give you rubbish information and then you regret later.

Most times when cases like this occur, it's the alternator diode that has a problem. I'm not sure if it's same in your case but I suggest you go meet a mechanic.

If it's the alternator, then all good.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by TRYGO(m): 5:43pm On Jun 30, 2018
Y not just say, SOME! That pretty much helps.
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by Ben6ene: 5:44pm On Jun 30, 2018
Contact this number for free car tracking device.....07066963388.
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jun 30, 2018
Let me tell you whats happening here. it is not a parasitic draw because you said this happens even when you are driving. what exactly is happening here is that the diodes in your alternator are not converting the AC current being created into DC current and this AC current is useless to the car because it uses DC current. so the diodes in the alternator convert the AC to DC. some of the diodes is gone bad and you can test this with a multimeter by switching it to AC volts and checking the car battery to see if any AC voltage is being kicked into it by the alternator. you will find out you have an unusually high amount of AC voltage in the car battery and this confirms that it is the diode. another confirmation is that when the alternator is working when you are driving, you will see that your voltage is above 12.6 volts but less than 13.4 volts. thats another sign of diode failure. you need the voltage to be above 13.8 and below 14.8 volts. my point is that the alternator diode is bad. you have two options, find someone who knows how to fix the diode problem so this way you dont have to buy a brand new alternator. or just buy a brand new alternator. either of the solution is fine.
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by Utagbamaka(m): 5:56pm On Jun 30, 2018
The amateur inside d alternator is bridging. It needs thorough n experience hand to service it.
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by Utagbamaka(m): 5:56pm On Jun 30, 2018
The amateur or carbon brush inside d alternator is bridging. It needs thorough n experience hand to service it.
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by AgentGoat: 5:31am On Jul 01, 2018
incometeacher:
Oga Nairalanders are not mechanics, don't let someone give you rubbish information and then you regret later.

Most times when cases like this occur, it's the alternator diode that has a problem. I'm not sure if it's same in your case but I suggest you go meet a mechanic.

If it's the alternator, then all good.
How do you know it is alternator? You are just a nairaland member.

Are you mechanic?

The comments coming so far have been helpful in this case so far. Op, myself and others learning from it. No one is talking rubbish here except you bro undecided

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by incometeacher: 9:18am On Jul 01, 2018
Because I experienced the same issue few weeks ago. So don't be stupid.
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by Compliant(m): 12:31pm On Jul 01, 2018
Few days ago almost same thing happened to me and I know very well that my Battery is okay and rewire said alternator is also okay THEN WHY THIS PROBLEM, it was later we discovered it was ordinary car charger directly plugged at the back seat that is draining the battery
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by AutoElectNG: 10:06pm On Jul 01, 2018
I fixed the drain.

It is now 0.04 amps 5 minutes after shut down

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by deathwing(m): 10:34pm On Jul 01, 2018
Great!

AutoElectNG:
I fixed the drain.

It is now 0.04 amps 5 minutes after shut down
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by thebigkendo(m): 10:53pm On Jul 01, 2018
systemz:
It's either the batteries are substandard or the alternator is faulty. Nothing else.
Ask the auto-electrician to check well or take the car to an automated and computerized workshop, where artificial intelligence will also assist the diagnosis.

Diportivo come & something grin grin grin
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by pjosh1(m): 3:41am On Jul 02, 2018
Thanks for all the response. I called an auto electricain and he performed a parasitic drain test we found out the dvd that was fixed wasn't installed correctly so whenever I off the engine the dvd still draws light from the battery. Still working on a solution to that
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by pjosh1(m): 3:46am On Jul 02, 2018
Diso60090:

Bros go buy better car make you let Nigeria get peace the one them dey right now pass this your super bowl
Okay and thanks
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by diportivo: 7:51am On Jul 02, 2018
thebigkendo:

Diportivo come & something grin grin grin

IV seen loads and loads of garbage on the thread grin

it's the fault of the mod that moved it to fp....he no get sense undecided
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by Diso60090(m): 10:43am On Jul 02, 2018
pjosh1:

Okay and thanks

You welcome hope you don buy New Jersey
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by AutoElectNG: 11:25am On Jul 02, 2018
America has what they call MECP.

MECP is short for Mobile Electronics Certified Professional (MECP).

The Mobile Electronics Certified Professional (MECP) program is the only nationally recognized credential that certifies mobile technology installation technicians and sales people on automotive information technology, entertainment, navigation, safety and security systems.

The aftermarket head unit that was installed in the vehicle was wrongly connected, and this lead to the 100 amp draw on the vehicle battery that killed the battery overnight.It did this to 2 batteries.

I have disconnected it and will source for and reinstall the aftermarket head unit with a commercially available integration device.

I have attached a picture that demonstrates the level of expertise expected from a Basic Installation Technician.

Basically there are standards set by the CTA (Consumer Technology Association) https://www.cta.tech the brains behind the CES https://www.ces.tech for installation audio visual equipment and those standards specifically mandate that the recommended installation route is with the help of commercially available integration devices and NOT by hacking the vehicle wiring!

Their position further dictates that the installations should be a direct fit or with adapters so the fit and function are factory like.

CES is owned and produced by the Consumer Technology Association, which provides the ultimate platform for technology leaders to connect, collaborate, and propel consumer technology forward.

This is the event for anyone who is anybody in Consumer Electronics.

CES 2019 will hold on Jan 8-11, 2019 at Las Vegas, NV.

Some facts about the last CES, that is to say CES 2018 which held on Jan 9, 2018 – Jan 12, 2018.

4,400+ exhibiting companies
2.7 million+ net exhibiting space square feet
The world’s biggest companies were in attendance including:
1,000+ startups participated at the Eureka Park Marketplace.

For more details on CES, please see attached pictures ( 2nd to 4th).

More than 182,000 industry professionals, including more than 63,000 from outside the U.S., convened in Las Vegas to drive the ever-evolving global technology industry forward.

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by AutoElectNG: 11:48am On Jul 02, 2018
So we intend to restore functionality to the aftermarket head unit much the same way as Bizzle2 did to his 2nd Gen Ex CR-V.

You can read more about the DIY here: https://www.nairaland.com/3979868/creating-perfect-car-audio-sound

Also note that he insisted on NOT hacking the factory wiring.

Also uncle Egunmogaji shares the same opinion, hacking factory wiring is just so wrong!

It is a hallmark of a subpar quality aftermarket installation which does not align with our slogan "World-Class...." and would be out of line with the recommendations of CES/CTA

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Share Your Molue Experience.... / How Much Is Petrol In Your Area? / Danfo Conductors: 4 Tips On How To Avoid Trouble With Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.