Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,819 members, 7,806,304 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:25 PM

Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN (12986 Views)

1st Class in Maths: Maniru Ibrahim Gets N9.2bn Scholarship For PhD In Ireland / 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write / Evans, JAMB Snake & Jacob Zuma Featured In UNILORIN's Criminology Exam Question (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by Nounitesportal(m): 7:09am On Jun 27, 2018
An inmate of the Kirikiri Maximum Prison, Lagos has enrolled for a doctorate degree (PhD) at the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN), Prof. Abdalla Adamu NOUN’s Vice-Chancellor says.

Adamu disclosed this in his remarks at the opening ceremony of the 1st International Conference of Social Sciences –ICOSS’ 2018– held on at NOUN’s headquarters on Monday in Abuja.

The theme of 3-day conference is “Imaged or Imagined: Africa and the Contemporary World—Issues in Security, Governance, and Sustainable Development.’’

Adamu said that NOUN had transformed into a more credible institution than it was previously perceived.

“We emphasise quality assurance, due diligence, due process and most importantly, we emphasise academic excellence and leadership.

“We have over 420,000 students and about 135,000 about to take their examinations; last Saturday, we matriculated over 16,000 students.

“We are the only institution that provides opportunities for those who cannot afford education; we provide opportunities for education to prisoners free of charge.

“I am proud to announce that one of the inmates at Kirikiri prison has registered for Ph.D. in Criminology,’’ he said.

He said that NOUN’s aspiration to become the foremost university in Africa, I believe, could only be actualised through intellectually stimulating activities like ICOSS.

The vice-chancellor said that during academic conferences, scholars network to find solutions to issues that pose challenges to the world and express their understanding of the universe in which they belong.

Adamu noted that the theme of the conference was apt as it interrogated the claim that Africa was incapable of sustaining human flourishing.

In her message, Dr. Ganiyat Adesina-Uthman, Dean, Faculty of Social Sciences, NOUN, said that the ICOSS’ 2018 theme was timely as it came when the happenings in the continent were in front burner.

She said that the conference attracted delegates from Cameroun, France, Brunei, Darussalam, USA, Saudi Arabia and Malaysia.

“On behalf of our collaborators-Federal University, Dutse(FUD), Nile University, Abuja, Taraba State University, Jalingo, United States of America Embassy, we thank all the participants from over 50 institutions in Nigeria and abroad who have contributed over 200 abstracts to the discourse on African image.

“Your contributions to academic knowledge on Africa is crucial to shaping the future of our continent—a continent loaded with opportunities,’’ she said.

Prof. Rufai Alkali, Chairman, Conference Organising Committee, in a remark, said that the theme of the conference was premised on the need to bring scholars of international repute to brainstorm on how to solve Africa’s problems.

He said that the deliberations would open a new debate on Africa’s development.

On his part, Prof. Tahir Mamman, Vice-Chancellor, Baze University, Abuja, who was also the Chairman on the occasion, commended NOUN for hosting the international conference.

“What NOUN is doing is at the heart of what universities should do; to generate ideas that impact on society not just to graduate students.

“It is important to graduate people who will provide solutions to the problems of society, ‘’ he said.

The keynote titled “Saving Lake Chad and the Rejuvenation of Africa: Beyond the Imaginary’’ was delivered by Horace Campbell, Professor of African American Studies and Political Science.

SOURCE

1 Like

Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by dhabrite(m): 7:15am On Jun 27, 2018
cool

FTC, after how many years on nairaland.

If you put your mind at something and never relent, you gonna get it.

I dedicate this FTC to all final year folks of the faculty of education in Unilorin. Good luck in your CBT tests!! and to all Nigerians in diaspora, we were cheated yesterday but as they say there is light at the end of the tunnel. Our team is a young one and are destined for bigger things in the future.

Back to the news, NOUN has been a good and relevant initiative, affected lives positively and created an avenue for Nigerians to get a degree somewhat. I only hope recommendations from the discourses are implemented. Africa are good at drawing recommendations but never implementing them. The countries in the Lake Chad basin should tackle the growing ecological menace in the Lake Chad.

An inmate going for a PHD especially in criminology, is a great news. In Nigeria, we are used to inmates getting out and going back to crime. Well, if this inmate gets out, I hope he can live a fulfilled life, and contribute his quota to our great nation.

In other news, Buhari, must go back to Daura. It's a must win cause. We won't accept innocent Nigerians dying. Not anymore!!!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by Nobody: 7:15am On Jun 27, 2018
grin Nice one

I wan dash ighalo something jare cool

He try break the promise Mikel made to buhari

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by ThatHistoryGuy(m): 7:17am On Jun 27, 2018
This is a normal thing in other countries especially the US
May God help our nation Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by Felixalex(m): 7:17am On Jun 27, 2018
Nice one
Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by Donbosco46: 7:18am On Jun 27, 2018
That’s good now he can be catching creminals�

2 Likes

Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by Whothecapfits: 7:18am On Jun 27, 2018
Obasanjo's School Mate
Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by enjay1(m): 7:18am On Jun 27, 2018
if this one graduate eh, na wahala o.....imagine a criminal with phd in criminology,....hmmm....na only jack bauer go fit catch this one if he ventures back to crime!

9 Likes

Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by icekale: 7:18am On Jun 27, 2018
G
Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by buzodyke: 7:19am On Jun 27, 2018
I hope they will give them good job afterwards else I see danger looming...
Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by Zonacom(m): 7:20am On Jun 27, 2018
When he graduates, he'll become a Lecturer in the prison

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by ayoncox: 7:21am On Jun 27, 2018
I love this news, Maybe Nigeria should even consider training this guys in skills that can be exported and sport like football. If you go out and carry cup you will be made free and also get cash

1 Like

Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by Ezechimaobim(m): 7:23am On Jun 27, 2018
Good news
Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by MrGreenMavro: 7:23am On Jun 27, 2018
grin
Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by Nobody: 7:25am On Jun 27, 2018
Jos plateau killing has been forgotten

2 Likes

Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by Offpoint: 7:25am On Jun 27, 2018
Ayam not understanding o, inmate or ex convict? someone should explain cuz I don't like reading
Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by makahlj2: 7:30am On Jun 27, 2018
So he can commit his next crimes without being caught?
Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by Nobody: 7:31am On Jun 27, 2018
Baba wan go master the Act grin

1 Like

Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by lilfreezy: 7:34am On Jun 27, 2018
buzodyke:
I hope they will give them good job afterwards else I see danger looming...
Don't mind them. Instead of them to train the inmate in skill acquisition so they can cater for themselves.
Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by sankky: 8:07am On Jun 27, 2018
Hmm
Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by ogolomachi(f): 8:18am On Jun 27, 2018
making lemonade out of lemon

1 Like

Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by SUNDICOS(m): 10:54am On Jun 27, 2018
No 1 first class graduate is just buhari
Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by Ejadike(m): 10:57am On Jun 27, 2018
Does NOUN really offer free education or at least, subsidize tuition fee?
Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by nkemdi89(f): 10:57am On Jun 27, 2018
enjay1:
if this one graduate eh, na wahala o.....imagine a criminal with phd in criminology,....hmmm....na only jack bauer go fit catch this one if he ventures back to crime!
And that's not what criminology represents, they don't teach you how to catch criminals, but reasons people go into crime, in fact it makes a security personnel have soft spots for criminals .
Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by enjay1(m): 11:22am On Jun 27, 2018
nkemdi89:

And that's not what criminology represents, they don't teach you how to catch criminals, but reasons people go into crime, in fact it makes a security personnel have soft spots for criminals .
haha, i actually understand that, i was looking at the humour within the report,....your explanation makes me think you're a criminologist or something close, psychologist, sociologist maybe ?..nice....that said, there have been instances where a criminal with a trained background in criminology have made it very hard for the law to get hold of them. for example, ted bundy the serial killer of the '70's in US was a lawyer and a psychologist, racked up a triple digit body count and took almost two years to track down....the detectives that finally got him admitted his background in psychology made him the most difficult to tie to his crimes....go figure....quick que : are you from owerri?
Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by nkemdi89(f): 12:03pm On Jun 27, 2018
enjay1:

haha, i actually understand that, i was looking at the humour within the report,....your explanation makes me think you're a criminologist or something close, psychologist, sociologist maybe ?..nice....that said, there have been instances where a criminal with a trained background in criminology have made it very hard for the law to get hold of them. for example, ted bundy the serial killer of the '70's in US was a lawyer and a psychologist, racked up a triple digit body count and took almost two years to track down....the detectives that finally got him admitted his background in psychology made him the most difficult to tie to his crimes....go figure....quick que : are you from owerri?
Yes I understand the humour in it , but most readers won't see it that way, as I discovered many people are intellectually lazy in making findings, instead they swallow everything they read on social media " hook line and sinkers" though I have degrees in criminology too and your last que I am not from IMO.
Re: Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN by ggoldmine: 4:21am On Jun 28, 2018
The fact that he's in the prison doesn't make him a criminal, we know the system in Nigeria is not quite transparent. He might be learning to understand his rights.

(1) (Reply)

(ambrose Alli University 2batch Admission List Is Out) / " Shell Petroluem Scholarship Registration Is On" / Rivers Police Stop Teachers From Collecting Posting Letters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.