Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,944 members, 7,806,726 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:59 PM

Take Note: Nobody Can Make Heaven If Nobody Is Perfect Or Can Be Perfect! - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Take Note: Nobody Can Make Heaven If Nobody Is Perfect Or Can Be Perfect! (1556 Views)

Must A Christian Speak In Tongue Before He Could Make Heaven? / "Will Ugly People Go To Heaven? If Yes, Will They Still Be Ugly In Heaven?" / Will You Still Make Heaven If Pastor Adeboye Miss Heaven? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Take Note: Nobody Can Make Heaven If Nobody Is Perfect Or Can Be Perfect! by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:43pm On Jun 16, 2010
is this the lord of the rings thread
Re: Take Note: Nobody Can Make Heaven If Nobody Is Perfect Or Can Be Perfect! by 5solas(m): 10:03pm On Jun 16, 2010
lagerwhenindoubt:

is this the lord of the rings thread

Seems like it. grin grin grin
Re: Take Note: Nobody Can Make Heaven If Nobody Is Perfect Or Can Be Perfect! by chinedumo(m): 2:02pm On Jun 17, 2010
5solas:

I hope you are also aware of these men : ¶

Philippians 3

1 Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you, to me indeed is not grievous, but for you it is safe.

2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision.

3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

4 ¶ Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:

5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;

6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless

7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.

8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, ¶

9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

15 ¶ Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

Paul's starts his epistles by warning against their teachings.

Exactly what have i taught that is not scriptural? which teachings?
the verses u quoted all illustrated paul before his convention. exactly what i have been saying. look at this
For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
we worship God with our flesh with our bodies hands feet mind and the rest and every other thing that he has given us but we don't relay on the flesh we don't depend on the flesh but the spirit. the spirit won't worship God for you. u will.

4 ¶ Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
[/b]
5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;

6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless

all this will Paul did not know the LORD he was not working with faith. he was working without faith. so the solution to paul's problem is not to stop working but to work with faith
Mark 1:17"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Luke 17:25But first the Son of Man must suffer terribly and be rejected by this generation.
5But the Lord said to Ananias, "Go! This man is my chosen instrument to carry my name before the Gentiles and their kings and before the people of Israel. 16I will show him how much he must suffer for my name."
23Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. 24Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. 27I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. 28Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. 29Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?

30If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness. 31The God and Father of the Lord Jesus, who is to be praised forever, knows that I am not lying. 32In Damascus the governor under King Aretas had the city of the Damascenes guarded in order to arrest me. 33But I was lowered in a basket from a window in the wall and slipped through his hands.

Paul wont boast of things he did in the flesh but things he did in the spirit. so start doing something in the spirit

Galatians 5:16 So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will never fulfill the desires of the flesh.

2 Timothy 4

1In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: 2Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. 3For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. 5But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, [b]discharge all the duties of your ministry.
[/b]

6For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. 7I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.
Re: Take Note: Nobody Can Make Heaven If Nobody Is Perfect Or Can Be Perfect! by 5solas(m): 9:51pm On Jun 17, 2010
[quote author=chinedumo link=topic=458592.msg6231086#msg6231086 date=1276779768]
Exactly what have i taught that is not scriptural? which teachings?
the verses u quoted all illustrated paul before his convention. exactly what i have been saying. look at this
For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
we worship God with our flesh with our bodies hands feet mind and the rest and every other thing that he has given us but we don't relay on the flesh we don't depend on the flesh but the spirit. the spirit won't worship God for you. u will.

[/b]

all this will Paul did not know the LORD he was not working with faith. he was working without faith. so the solution to paul's problem is not to stop working but to work with faith
[/Quote]

The solution to Paul's problem was for him to stop doing things in the hope they would help him ''make heaven'', but to accept what Christ did for him; then do those things Christ wanted him to do as evidence of having ''made heaven'' (being saved). We do not do good works to be saved, but do good works because we are saved .
Re: Take Note: Nobody Can Make Heaven If Nobody Is Perfect Or Can Be Perfect! by chinedumo(m): 11:55am On Jun 18, 2010
I never mentioned in any place that i do not recognize the sacrifice of the cross but that one should come to the cross and go beyond it. Christ died for a reason. their are things he wants u to do for him. and u can only do them after u have had an encounter with him. after that u start working with him. i am not asking unbeliever to work to be saved, no. i am not addressing unbelievers but Christians. there are teaching for converts-to-be and teaching for the already converted. Christianity does not end in the cross but starts at the cross. am what i have been talking about is for Christians. u have gone beyond the cross of Jesus. it is ur time to take ur own cross. there is work to do. if u know that u do not work to be saved cos ur work cannot save u. but the work of christ. accept that work Christ has done on your behave. if u know that u are saved to work them start working now/after u have been saved. very simple something. no need to make a mountain out of an ant hole. no long story
Luke 9:23 (New International Version)

23Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

New International Version (©1984)
He told them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.

Answer the Master's call. be the answer to this prayer. start working. but always remember to work with FAITH and LOVE. and God will surely be pleased.
Re: Take Note: Nobody Can Make Heaven If Nobody Is Perfect Or Can Be Perfect! by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jun 18, 2010
@Poster
funny isn't it . . .when we say practice makes perfection. How then is it that when it comes to spiritual matters we don't believe that man can live a perfect life It's very possible only through God!
Re: Take Note: Nobody Can Make Heaven If Nobody Is Perfect Or Can Be Perfect! by chinedumo(m): 2:39pm On Jun 18, 2010
5solas:

The solution to Paul's problem was for him to stop doing things in the hope they would help him ''make heaven'', but to accept what Christ did for him; then do those things Christ wanted him to do as evidence of having ''made heaven'' (being saved). We do not do good works to be saved, but do good works because we are saved .

The heaven u mean when u say "made heaven" is heaven of /in our hearts. cos that is the residence of the spirit of Jesus-the holy spirit. Revelation 3:20Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Matthew 18:3 and said, "Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. ,

Luke 17:21nor will people say, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within[a] you."
Mk 1:14-15 2. , "Not everyone who says to Me, `Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven" ,
14Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

15And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

16And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

17Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

18And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

there is the kingdom of God that you enter and also there is a kingdom of God that enters you.
There is a kingdom of God within you just like there is yourself being within/inside the kingdom of God.

the two should not be confused together.

So what u are really saying is that one should act like one who is inhabiting/housing God. that is what u describe in the words-"as evidence of having "made heaven"/being saved. "
I will rather describe it as one who has "made his heart a heaven" for God. or one in whom the Holy spirit makes his heaven/abode in.
Jeremiah 4:14O Jerusalem, wash the evil from your heart and be saved. How long will you harbor wicked thoughts? 5Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?

james 4:6But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

7Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

8Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

but take ye this warning from God 1 Corinthians 3:16-17
1 Corinthians 3:16Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? 17If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple.
Re: Take Note: Nobody Can Make Heaven If Nobody Is Perfect Or Can Be Perfect! by 5solas(m): 3:38pm On Jun 18, 2010
chinedumo:

I never mentioned in any place that i do not recognize the sacrifice of the cross but that one should come to the cross and go beyond it. Christ died for a reason. their are things he wants u to do for him. and u can only do them after u have had an encounter with him. after that u start working with him. i am not asking unbeliever to work to be saved, no. i am not addressing unbelievers but Christians. there are teaching for converts-to-be and teaching for the already converted. Christianity does not end in the cross but starts at the cross. am what i have been talking about is for Christians. u have gone beyond the cross of Jesus. it is your time to take your own cross. there is work to do. if u know that u do not work to be saved cos your work cannot save u. but the work of christ. accept that work Christ has done on your behave. if u know that u are saved to work them start working now/after u have been saved. very simple something. no need to make a mountain out of an ant hole. no long story
Luke 9:23 (New International Version)

23Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

New International Version (©1984)
He told them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.

Answer the Master's call. be the answer to this prayer. start working. but always remember to work with FAITH and LOVE. and God will surely be pleased.

Please do not misunderstand me. All the righteousness I have before I was saved, amount to my self-righteousness. All the righteousness I have since I have been saved, amount to my self-righteousness. If I advance any of these to the Lord as to why I should enter heaven, He would be very angry with me indeed.
Re: Take Note: Nobody Can Make Heaven If Nobody Is Perfect Or Can Be Perfect! by chinedumo(m): 12:20pm On Jun 19, 2010
5solas:

Please do not misunderstand me. All the righteousness I have before I was saved, amount to my self-righteousness. All the righteousness I have since I have been saved, amount to my self-righteousness. If I advance any of these to the Lord as to why I should enter heaven, He would be very angry with me indeed.

1) All righteousness that i had before my salvation is self-righteousness.

Romans 8 :5Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6The mind of sinful man[e] is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; 7the sinful mind[f] is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. 8Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.

2)All righteousness that i have after my salvation is God's righteousness

Philippians 2:12Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.
Re: Take Note: Nobody Can Make Heaven If Nobody Is Perfect Or Can Be Perfect! by 5solas(m): 4:47pm On Jun 19, 2010
chinedumo:

Romans 8 :5Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6The mind of sinful man[e] is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; 7the sinful mind[f] is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. 8Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.

Philippians 2:12Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

We have come to the crucial point of the argument, at least I think so.

The difference between your position and mine are stated below, if I do not reflect your position correctly, please let me know.

Your position is that:

(1) all the righteousness a person has before their salvation is self- righteousness

(2) all the righteousness a person has after their salvation is God's righteousness

(3) a believer gets this righteousness (God's righteousness), when they live according to God's commandments

(4) It is this righteousness (God's righteousness), that they have, due to their good works, that will take them to heaven eventually

(5) if a believer is not perfect in this righteousness (God's righteousness), that they have, due to their good works, they will not enter

heaven eventually

(6) some believers are perfect in this righteousness (God's righteousness), due to their good works

Note that I got the 4th to 6th of your positions from your OP.

My position is:

(1) all the righteousness a person has before their salvation is self-righteousness

(2) all the righteousness a person has after their salvation (when as a believer they live according to God's commandments) is self-righteousness

(3) a believer gets a righteousness imputed to them on believing, this is the righteousness of faith, God's righteousness and this is the

righteousness that takes them to heaven eventually

(4)the believer is still expected to do good works, but these good works do not contribute a farthing to their salvation

(5) a believer thus possess the righteousness that is of faith (God's righteousness) and that which is of themselves (self- righteousness)

(6)it is the righteousness that is of faith that counts, as far as salvation is concerned.

If you agree with my observation (on our different positions), then we will go on with our discussion, if not, let me know your point of disagreement.
Re: Take Note: Nobody Can Make Heaven If Nobody Is Perfect Or Can Be Perfect! by chinedumo(m): 3:08pm On Jun 24, 2010
The points that i hold have already been stated only just after the accompanying scripture says so. cos i stand on the truth in the light of God's word.
1) the righteousness b4 salvation(self righteousness) is something but insufficient/inadequate. it is a rag though it is a dirty one.
Christ's exact words For I say unto you, That except your righteousness (your self righteousness)shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no wise enter into the kingdom of heaven Matthew 5:20.
at this stage he is working for God.

2) the righteousness possessed by a believer(after salvation) is his own righteousness and God's righteousness. at this point God is not working for him, he is not working for God. God is working with him, he is working with God. the holy spirit is their to help you. He is ur helper not servant.

3)God's righteousness is obtained by faith and his own righteousness when he obeys the leading of the Spirit of God.

4) it is God's righteousness together with their own righteousness that will take them to heaven.
God's righteousness brings God to dwell in your heart as his heaven while your own righteousness brings you to dwell in God's heaven.

5) Christ was sinless and his sacrifice is priceless and perfect. God's righteousness in u is perfect. You ought to be perfect and sinless like your master LORD JESUS is. God's righteousness is an example and a demonstration for you to perfect yourself.
1 Corinthians 3:16Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? 17If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple.
Just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: ‘Be holy, because I am holy’” (1 Peter 1:14-17)
By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world.

For I say unto you, That except your righteousness (your self righteousness)shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no wise enter into the kingdom of heaven Matthew 5:20.

let me comment on point 4) and 6) of your points

(4)the believer is still expected to do good works, but these good works do not contribute a farthing to their salvation
(6)it is the righteousness that is of faith that counts, as far as salvation is concerned.

if according to u good works do not contribute a farting then it also means that bad works don't remove a farting sin the hell you like and their is no problem. then according to you.Christ died so that we can live sinful lives and still make heaven. good works are not important it is your choice to be good or not since they are of no significance.
Re: Take Note: Nobody Can Make Heaven If Nobody Is Perfect Or Can Be Perfect! by 5solas(m): 12:10pm On Jun 26, 2010
chinedumo:

As you work out your salvation with fear and trembling know that you get to have a righteousness, your own, not God's! But the fountain, foundation, spring, is of God. Phil 2:13.

Work out your salvation does not mean, work for your salvation, it means , do those things that show you are saved.
Re: Take Note: Nobody Can Make Heaven If Nobody Is Perfect Or Can Be Perfect! by 5solas(m): 12:24pm On Jun 26, 2010
chinedumo:

2) the righteousness possessed by a believer(after salvation) is his own righteousness and God's righteousness.

Please read your self. grin grin grin
Re: Take Note: Nobody Can Make Heaven If Nobody Is Perfect Or Can Be Perfect! by 5solas(m): 1:13pm On Jun 26, 2010
chinedumo:

Christ's exact words For I say unto you, That except your righteousness (your self righteousness)shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no wise enter into the kingdom of heaven Matthew 5:20.

The righteousness that will get a man to heaven is divine, not human, so Christ's tells them, plain and simple.

And the book of Galatians says,

''Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law''Gal 3:21.

''I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain'' Gal.2:21.

The law (or commandments remain the same, in faith or out of it). The righteousness that is of faith is that righteousness which exceeds that of the

scribes and pharisees ( 2 Cor. 5:21, Phil3:9, Heb. 11:7 e.t.c)
Re: Take Note: Nobody Can Make Heaven If Nobody Is Perfect Or Can Be Perfect! by chinedumo(m): 2:48pm On Jun 26, 2010
5solas:

Please read your self. grin grin grin

i repeat myself but with some clarifications
the righteousness possessed by a believer(after salvation) is both his own righteousness and God's righteousness.

u know i have come to understand the problem
it is in what u call righteousness by faith. i will show u something. when u say righteousness by faith u are referring to accepting the sacrifice on the cross.

Romans 4:1What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather, discovered in this matter? 2If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. 3What does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."[a]

4Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. 5However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness. 6David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:
7"Blessed are they
      whose transgressions are forgiven,
      whose sins are covered.
8Blessed is the man
      whose sin the Lord will never count against him."

9Is this blessedness only for the circumcised, or also for the uncircumcised? We have been saying that Abraham's faith was credited to him as righteousness.

james 2:20You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless[d]? 21[b]Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?
22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,"[e] and he was called God's friend. 24[b]You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone. [/b]

as u can see Abraham was counted righteous by God and not by man for the works he did as evidence of his faith and not by the sacrifice on the cross

this also is called righteousness by faith though it has nothing to do with the sacrifice on the cross
Re: Take Note: Nobody Can Make Heaven If Nobody Is Perfect Or Can Be Perfect! by chinedumo(m): 3:02pm On Jun 26, 2010
using the scripture that u mentioned, how does it refer to the sacrifice on the cross we are shown two things that righteousness by faith in Christ consists; of the righteousness that comes from God demonstrated by the righteousness by your faith in God.
what i call your own righteousness when u are saved, is not the law but the working out of you faith. faith is know by works even by God. God does not recognize claims. he said if u believe with ur heart and confess with ur mouth thou shall be saved. if one can confess with his mouth then u can confess with his lifestyle

Phil 3:
9and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.

for example as i mention earlier i will show u Noah who was called righteous by righteousness from his own faith demonstrated in works and not from the righteousness of God by the sacrifice on the cross
Hebrews 11:7 (New International Version)

Heb 11:7By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.
Re: Take Note: Nobody Can Make Heaven If Nobody Is Perfect Or Can Be Perfect! by chinedumo(m): 3:33pm On Jun 26, 2010
Let look at that bible passage so that u can get the whole picture. note what make a person great in the kingdom. u have already entered but ur greatness in the kingdom entered.

Matt 5:17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.
Murder

21"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder,[a] and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' 22But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother[b]will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,[c]' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.

23"Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.

25"Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still with him on the way, or he may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. 26I tell you the truth, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.[d]
Adultery
27"You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.'[e] 28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.
Divorce
31"It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.'[f] 32But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.
Oaths
33"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' 34But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; 35or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.
An Eye for an Eye
38"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.'[g] 39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 41If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

What suggests to u that the righteousness Christ was referring to was the sacrifice that he will pay?
Christ recognizes the righteousness of the pharisees and the teachers of the law as righteousness. there is something that he is refering to. he abhores and spoke against their evil and evil practices and mis interpretation and mis application of the law. christ cannot condemn the same thing and commend it again. there is something good that the the pharisees and the teachers of the law possesand do. that is what he asked his listeners to copy and follow. everything that they do is not bad . he is only asking u to imitate their righteousness and exceed it. you will make the effort that they make but u will have an added advantage to the righteousness by ur faith with the righteousnss that is from God.
Matt 23:1Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2"The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. 3So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. 4They tie up heavy loads and put them on men's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.

this scripture is not a contradiction. Christ was actually saying that their teaching are pure but their doings are impure, that is why he said earlier

Matt 5:19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

so u can see Christ asking them to imitate the good and ignore the bad

(1) (2) (Reply)

If You Believe Demons Don't Exist, Watch This... / Why Is Christianity And The Church Attracting So Much Attack / The Upcoming Three Days Of Darkness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.