Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:49 AM

LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) (15524 Views)

Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans / Kenyan Baby Starts Menstruating At Four Months, Develops Pubic Hair / UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by OgaGist: 3:05am On Jun 28, 2018
GistMore.com

The husband of a patient at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi Araba, Surulere, Mutiu Busari, has said his wife, Busayo, and their baby, Fikayo, have spent over four months in the hospital over unpaid medical bills.

The 32-year-old lamented that his family owed LUTH about N387,200 after Busayo was delivered of Fikayo through a caesarian section.

Mutiu said his wife went into labour on February 27, 2018, after she was referred to LUTH from the Gbagada General Hospital.

“When we got to LUTH, we were told to do some tests and buy some drugs, which finished all my money. They did the CS the following day and our baby was safely delivered. My wife and baby were discharged on Saturday, March 17, and we were told to pay N61,000 for the drugs my family used from the pharmacy before they can give us the remaining bills.

“I have paid N10,000 from the money. I have no money left on me and the people I have sought help from have just been promising. Aside from the drug bills, I still owed N65,000 for the operation, N20,000 for registration, N14,200 per week for bed space and we have spent four months already.

“Nurses and guards at the hospital are always watching us. They do not allow anyone with outstanding bills to go out until the bills are settled. In fact, during my child’s christening, we begged the nurses to give us a space and we were given a room in the ward where we named the baby Fikayomi in the presence of my aunt, a pastor, my brother and his wife,” he added.

He said he had not returned home since he took his wife to LUTH because he believed neighbours would query him on the whereabouts of both mother and child.

“I have gone as far as donating blood to raise N6,000 to feed them. I have also gone to construction sites to carry granite and cement to get money; it has been tough for me. I don’t know where to get the hospital bill of over N387,000 from,” he said.

PUNCH Metro learnt that Mutiu contacted the Public Advice Centre, Lagos State Ministry of Justice, to appeal for funds.

The government agency on his behalf reportedly wrote a non-governmental organisation, Hope for Women in Nigeria, owned by the wife of the state governor, Mrs. Bolanle Ambode.

It was gathered that Mutiu had yet to receive any support as Busayo and Fikayo were still in Ward C2, LUTH.

Busayo told our correspondent that she was fed up with living in the hospital.

“I have been here since February. Although the hospital has discharged us, we cannot go home because we have not paid our bills,” she said.

The Deputy Chairman, Medical Advising Committee, LUTH, Prof. Wasiu Adeyemo, while denying that the hospital detained Busayo and her baby, said a lot of patients owed the hospital.

He said, “LUTH is not a detention centre; we don’t have the means to detain anybody. Why will a hospital of this nature detain a patient when we know that the more you stay in the hospital, the more you don’t make bed space available for other patients?

“What they call detention is that a patient has been discharged, but for one reason or the other he or she is unable to pay, or has refused to pay. There are instances where some patients can really afford to pay their medical bills, but they think that if they stay for a long time the hospital will just allow them to go.

“When patients come in through the Accident and Emergency Unit, the policy of the government does not allow us to send them back; we have to treat them, whether they have money or not. So, once the patients are OK and discharged, it is expected that the money for drug, investigation, blood, admission and others should be paid back because we treated them based on trust.

“We have what is called revolving fund. For example, for the pharmacy, we have what is called drug revolving fund – a pool of money set aside to buy drugs for patients to use and pay back to that pool, so that whenever patients come to the hospital, drugs will be available. It is expected of every patient to pay for that; if they don’t pay, that pool will be depleted. Also, there are some facilities that are sponsored by the Public Private Partnership. You can’t use those facilities without paying.”

The Public Relations Officer, LUTH, Mr Kelechi Otuneme, said the hospital needed patients to replace what they had used for the benefit of others.

He said, “We are not asking for profit; we are asking you to replace the consumables we have used for you, so that another person that needs such a service can benefit from it.”

Our correspondent learnt that the medical bill had been reduced to N93,000 after the intervention of some social workers.

Despite the reduction, Busayo and her child had yet to leave the hospital.

GIST BY GISTMORE : http://www.gistmore.com/luth-detains-baby-mother-four-months-unpaid-bills-photos

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by OgaGist: 3:06am On Jun 28, 2018
cool
Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by KendrickAyomide: 3:15am On Jun 28, 2018
cry if only i had cash to pay for them now.. ehnnn

6 Likes

Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by Nobody: 4:22am On Jun 28, 2018
So sad.
The country really needs a functional health insurance scheme.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by pyyxxaro: 5:57am On Jun 28, 2018
Those celebrities dashing Taju money upandan

Should pls come n help this family sad

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by Amarabae(f): 6:28am On Jun 28, 2018
Look at that innocent boy face.
cry cry

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by ultron12345: 7:26am On Jun 28, 2018
they should do and pay up. If previous patients were let go without payment, they wouldn't have gotten consumables to use.

5 Likes

Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by Amarabae(f): 10:27am On Jun 28, 2018
ultron12345:
they should do and pay up. If previous patients were let go without payment, they wouldn't have gotten consumables to use.
Why are you like this?
Can't you have pity on the innocent baby?
You don't know what it means to be a mother, that cute innocent baby's face breaks my heart cry cry
They should have published their account number.
Mynd44, Lalasticlala front page, let's the public be more aware

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by tolexy007(m): 11:10am On Jun 28, 2018
shocked shocked
Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by Sijo01(f): 11:11am On Jun 28, 2018
Wow, baby is already a big boy.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by Constie(f): 11:13am On Jun 28, 2018
Awwwnn.... The cute innocent baby... sad

2 Likes

Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by Ugoeze2016: 11:13am On Jun 28, 2018
Very unfortunate, pls more information for many that wants to help at least account number

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by Emekus92(m): 11:13am On Jun 28, 2018
All those once wey dey buy unnecessary things and traveling to irrelevant place this is where their money should come to play
Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by Martinez19(m): 11:13am On Jun 28, 2018
Detain them jare angry. Nonsense, foolish people. You can't pay your bills yet una dey have sex and una plan born pickin. undecided

Human race and stupidity 5&6

1 Like

Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by mytime24(f): 11:13am On Jun 28, 2018
Too bad angry
Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by flyca: 11:14am On Jun 28, 2018
Na wa o, even if someone pays the bills today, how is she going to properly feed and nourish this child (and her other kids)? Provide basic needs for them. Schooling? Good housing? etc Or they are going to resort to begging all along the way?

I might sound cold but why bring innocent kids to this world to suffer. To raise a child into being a financially independent adult is no joke! She is one of the millions of "children are blessing" Nigerians. We need a compulsory family planning in Nigeria.

We need to stop joking with these things.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by iamprofralph: 11:15am On Jun 28, 2018
Which way Nigeria
Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by ilyasmuy: 11:17am On Jun 28, 2018
Martinez19:
Detain them jare angry. Nonsense, foolish people. You can't pay your bills yet una dey have sex and una plan born pickin. undecided

You are heartless

6 Likes

Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by uvie66: 11:17am On Jun 28, 2018
Amarabae:

Why are you like this?
Can't you have pity on the innocent baby?
You don't know what it means to be a mother, that cute innocent baby's face breaks my heart cry cry
They should have published their account number.
Mynd44, Lalasticlala front page, let's the public be more aware
vvvv
Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by ithink7: 11:17am On Jun 28, 2018
Someone should bail them out.

God knows if I have the money at the moment, I'll go there and bail them out.

That's the beauty of our humanity.
Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by uvie66: 11:17am On Jun 28, 2018
uvie66:
vvvv
xxd
Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by Neutrobcorp: 11:18am On Jun 28, 2018
Martinez19:

Bros sorry oo... But you are dumb and foolish aswear

9 Likes

Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by brownhawk: 11:18am On Jun 28, 2018
Owomkpo:
So sad.
The country really needs a functional health insurance scheme.
we seriously need it and detaining the woman and child against their will and unlawfully is criminal. She shouldn't even pay for the accumulating accommodation bill since they detained her unlawfully. I'm pissed.

I say I must have money
Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by NoBetterNigeria: 11:18am On Jun 28, 2018
Nna mehn... where are the yeye celebrities. We need you here
Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by dabiriy(m): 11:18am On Jun 28, 2018
Martinez19:

if you can't help just shut up

2 Likes

Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by Jimmy231: 11:19am On Jun 28, 2018
Stupid people so nobody fit help this infant. Even those below me are stupid

1 Like

Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by Neutrobcorp: 11:19am On Jun 28, 2018
Can someone get their phone number or contact to reach...... In case someone wants to help.
Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by WaleBinSanusi(m): 11:19am On Jun 28, 2018
Now how does holding the mother and the new baby benefits both Luth n the family?
I still believe there’s a way they can both work around this...Who has been feeding them for the 4months? Now the debt is adding up every week
Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by SheikhMuniru(m): 11:19am On Jun 28, 2018
APC GOVERNMENT HAS NO MERCY

1 Like

Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by uvie66: 11:22am On Jun 28, 2018
My guy no sympathy here, you no get money you dey born pikin. What happened to withdrawal method, or 250 naira condom from Musa. Go and hustle and pay yer money no one follow you bleep the woman.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) by olapluto(m): 11:22am On Jun 28, 2018
Somebody please provide her details. We Nigerians are better than 93k.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Research Shows Kissing Can Lead To Gonorrhea / 7,202 Cases Of Diphtheria Confirmed In Nigeria; Children At Risk / Ned Nwoko Reveals Solution To Malaria Menace, Power Problems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.