Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,916 members, 7,799,096 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:13 PM

VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon (28945 Views)

Ranking Every Nigerian Who Chose To Play For England's Three Lions / Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick / Anthony Joshua Vs Andy Ruiz 2: Time, Venue, Records, Everything You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by TechCapon(m): 9:01am On Jun 29, 2018
@TechCapon

I’ve been prompted to write a detailed review about Video Assistant referee (VAR) Technology following heavy criticisms of VAR from Nigerians and Africans alike. Africa have been bundled out of the 2018 world cup tournament and a lot of Nigerians think VAR played a key role in kicking Africa out of the tournament. Some even said VAR technology was introduced to eliminate African teams from the World cup ! In this post, I will explain VAR technology better and give deep insight including instances where VAR technology was used and how it favored African teams.

What is VAR and how does it work ?

Video Assistant referee is a team of three people who work together to review certain decisions made by the main referee by watching video replays of the relevant incident . It is a major innovative way to minimize human errors made by the referee during a game. VAR is football’s first use of video technology to reach more correct decisions.. The team is comprised of the video assistant referee himself (VAR), his assistant (AVAR) and a replay operator. They are situated in a video operation room which is essentially a room full of monitors offering different camera angles. The VAR team have the best viewing angles and full access to all 33 cameras in the stadium and communicates with the referee via a special fibre-optic radio. The VAR has no power to overrule a decision, he can only review a decision by the referee and help him make a but the final decision is made by the referee himself.

What are the rules of VAR ?

The video assistant referee team supports the decision-making process of the referee in four critical game-changing situations:

1. Penalty decisions and offences leading up to a penalty including foul leading up to penalty
2. Goals and offences leading up to a goal.
3. Direct red card incidents only.
4. Mistaken identity

Did FIFA introduce VAR technology just because of the world cup ?

CAPITAL NO ! VAR have already been in existence since last year with Italian Serie A and German Bundesliga already using the technology. The only reason the English premiere league are not using it yet is because more than half of the club voted against it. It’s only a matter of time before they join other leagues who have implemented it.

Can VAR also make a mistake ?

Yes it can ! No technology is 100% perfect. I'll give instance where made mistakes in the world cup. However, I can say with full confident that VAR is 90% accurate. 90% accuracy in any exam is excellent and I commend FIFA president Gianni Infantino for introducing this excellent technology into football. If the English Premiere League choose to remain in the stone age, that’s their problem.

Instances where VAR was used in the World cup and their verdicts according to top football analysts.

Sengal vs Colombia – Senegal denied penalty
VAR: Yes

Verdict: Correct decision

South Korea vs Germany – Kim goal awarded after initial offside call

Mexico vs Sweden – No penalty for Hernandez handball

Nigeria vs Argentina – Nigeria denied penalty

Verdict: Correct decision (Yes it was poor defending by Rojo, the handball was however not intentional)

Iran vs Portugal – Iran awarded penalty

Verdict: Wrong decision (Unintentional handball)

Iran vs Portugal – Ronaldo awarded penalty

Saudi Arabia vs Egypt – Saudis given second penalty

Verdict: Wrong decision

England vs Panama – Kane awarded hat-trick

Belgium vs Tunisia – Hazard awarded penalty

Nigeria vs Iceland – Sigurdsson blunders late lifeline

Brazil vs Costa Rica – Neymar dives for a penalty

Iran vs Spain – An offside equaliser

Sweden vs South Korea – VAR-assisted penalty decision

Was VAR really against African teams ?

From the analysis above, the answer is a BIG FAT NO. VAR made the right call almost in all the games. The only mistake VAR did in an African game is between Egypt and Saudi Arabia which analysts recognized but it’s not an African witch hunt. It was South Korea’s late goal, confirmed by VAR, knocked Germany out of the FIFA World Cup yet they didn’t cry wolf. VAR made a mistake against Portugal yet Portugal qualified. Lack of quality and preparation caused Africa to exit the world cup in such a disgraceful manner. You cannot give what you don’t have !

SOURCE:http://techcapon.com/what-every-nigerian-should-know-about-var-technology/

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by izzou(m): 9:06am On Jun 29, 2018
Nice write up

But I see no reason why that Sanchez's foul was annulled. That to me, was a foul.

Above all, VAR is trying to make the game perfect, which I really do not like angry

15 Likes

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by TechCapon(m): 9:09am On Jun 29, 2018
izzou:
Nice write up

But I see no reason why that Sanchez's foul was annulled. That to me, was a foul.

Above all, VAR is trying to make the game perfect, which I really do not like angry
why don't like it ? It's bringing more credibility to the game

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by izzou(m): 9:15am On Jun 29, 2018
TechCapon:
why don't like it ? It's bringing more credibility to the game

Some of the imperfections in the game makes one to be more careful.

Look at that Senegal's match. Without VAR, Sanchez will be handed a yellow card, together with a penalty.

Next time he won't even think of tackling one in the box that way

9 Likes

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by TechCapon(m): 9:21am On Jun 29, 2018
izzou:

Some of the imperfections in the game makes one to be more careful.

Look at that Senegal's match. Without VAR, Sanchez will be handed a yellow card, together with a penalty.

Next time he won't even think of tackling one in the box that way

which is the more reason we need VAR. This is world cup, a whole country cannot suffer and be sent of out the tournament simply because referee didn't have a good viewing angle. We need mistakes to be eliminated as much as possible.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by kodded(m): 9:25am On Jun 29, 2018
God bless the op,

Germany was eliminated thanks to a last-minute goal that was awarded by var, even tho the referee has already ruled the goal as offside,yet you don't see Germans shouting racism or crying that FIFA is against them

one thing about Africans is that they will never admit that it's their fault,always passing blame undecided

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by kodded(m): 9:27am On Jun 29, 2018
TechCapon:
which is the more reason we need VAR. This is world cup, a whole country cannot suffer and be sent of out the tournament simply because referee didn't have a good viewing angle. We need mistakes to be eliminated as much as possible.
once football becomes perfect it becomes boring

ask those that play video games with cheat,they get bored within a week

7 Likes

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by TechCapon(m): 9:37am On Jun 29, 2018
kodded:
God bless the op,

Germany was eliminated thanks to a last-minute goal that was awarded by var, even tho the referee has already ruled the goal as offside,yet you don't see Germans shouting racism or crying that FIFA is against them

one thing about Africans is that they will never admit that it's their fault,always passing blame undecided
God bless you too for this insight. We need to get rid of this stereotype surrounding technology and embrace it with open arms.

9 Likes

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by silenze: 9:39am On Jun 29, 2018
i wonder why Nigerians are such terrible losers, we take sentiments everywhere even in a united event as football. i wonder if Rojo was supposed to jump with his hands in his pocket. we need to accept defeat and that's it

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Folashade2016(f): 12:18pm On Jun 29, 2018
We don lose.
We don comot.
Make we just take heart and prepare well for Nations Cup Cameroon2019 and Qatar 2022.
Nigeria deal with the defeat and move on joor.

check my SIGNATURE

3 Likes

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by anigold(m): 12:18pm On Jun 29, 2018
TechCapon:
@TechCapon

I’ve been prompted to write a detailed review about Video Assistant referee (VAR) Technology following heavy criticisms of VAR from Nigerians and Africans alike. Africa have been bundled out of the 2018 world cup tournament and a lot of Nigerians think VAR played a key role in kicking Africa out of the tournament. Some even said VAR technology was introduced to eliminate African teams from the World cup ! In this post, I will explain VAR technology better and give deep insight including instances where VAR technology was used and how it favored African teams.

What is VAR and how does it work ?

Video Assistant referee is a team of three people who work together to review certain decisions made by the main referee by watching video replays of the relevant incident . It is a major innovative way to minimize human errors made by the referee during a game. VAR is football’s first use of video technology to reach more correct decisions.. The team is comprised of the video assistant referee himself (VAR), his assistant (AVAR) and a replay operator. They are situated in a video operation room which is essentially a room full of monitors offering different camera angles. The VAR team have the best viewing angles and full access to all 33 cameras in the stadium and communicates with the referee via a special fibre-optic radio. The VAR has no power to overrule a decision, he can only review a decision by the referee and help him make a but the final decision is made by the referee himself.

What are the rules of VAR ?

The video assistant referee team supports the decision-making process of the referee in four critical game-changing situations:

1. Penalty decisions and offences leading up to a penalty including foul leading up to penalty
2. Goals and offences leading up to a goal.
3. Direct red card incidents only.
4. Mistaken identity

Did FIFA introduce VAR technology just because of the world cup ?

CAPITAL NO ! VAR have already been in existence since last year with Italian Serie A and German Bundesliga already using the technology. The only reason the English premiere league are not using it yet is because more than half of the club voted against it. It’s only a matter of time before they join other leagues who have implemented it.

Can VAR also make a mistake ?

Yes it can ! No technology is 100% perfect. I'll give instance where made mistakes in the world cup. However, I can say with full confident that VAR is 90% accurate. 90% accuracy in any exam is excellent and I commend FIFA president Gianni Infantino for introducing this excellent technology into football. If the English Premiere League choose to remain in the stone age, that’s their problem.

Instances where VAR was used in the World cup and their verdicts according to top football analysts.

Sengal vs Colombia – Senegal denied penalty

South Korea vs Germany – Kim goal awarded after initial offside call

Mexico vs Sweden – No penalty for Hernandez handball

Verdict: Correct decision (Yes it was poor defending by Rojo, the handball was however not intentional)

Iran vs Portugal – Ronaldo awarded penalty

Saudi Arabia vs Egypt – Saudis given second penalty

Verdict: Wrong decision

England vs Panama – Kane awarded hat-trick

Belgium vs Tunisia – Hazard awarded penalty

Nigeria vs Iceland – Sigurdsson blunders late lifeline

Iran vs Spain – An offside equaliser

Sweden vs South Korea – VAR-assisted penalty decision

Was VAR really against African teams ?

From the analysis above, the answer is a BIG FAT NO. VAR made the right call almost in all the games. The only mistake VAR did in an African game is between Egypt and Saudi Arabia which analysts recognized but it’s not an African witch hunt. It was South Korea’s late goal, confirmed by VAR, knocked Germany out of the FIFA World Cup yet they didn’t cry wolf. VAR made a mistake against Portugal yet Portugal qualified. Lack of quality and preparation caused Africa to exit the world cup in such a disgraceful manner. You cannot give what you don’t have !

SOURCE:http://techcapon.com/what-every-nigerian-should-know-about-var-technology/

am sure EPL will never use the VAR.. WE KNOW THE REASON..ALL ABOUT THE MONEY grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jun 29, 2018
I'm not surprised to see Africans shouting and blaming fifa. It's actually all we know how to do _blame others for our failures.

A continent where students blame Witches for for failing exam, government blame previous administration for their failure, drivers blame the devil for accident even when they were reckless what exactly do you expect from it?

8 Likes

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Kobicove(m): 12:21pm On Jun 29, 2018
undecided
Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by oshe11: 12:21pm On Jun 29, 2018
If Nigerians can say they lost to Denmark because the Keeper wear "Mask" and thats why he keeps touching his face, making the Nigerian players to be afraid when they see his face......

etc...

Why are u then surprised that they are blaming the ref and VAR?

To them Racism is only for people with BLACK SKIN

SEE ALL OF THEM WANTING FRANCE TO DEFEAT ARGENTINAgrin

4 Likes

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by jordyspices: 12:22pm On Jun 29, 2018
VAR dat dey av been using in d NBA since 2decades ago

1 Like

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Bossontop(m): 12:24pm On Jun 29, 2018
undecided
Izit the VAR dat gives or disallows the foul or the ref??

3 Likes

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Toks06: 12:24pm On Jun 29, 2018
Nice one op..I said it;Nigerians n Africans always apportioning blames.the blame if at all should be on ighalo for missing such a good chance

2 Likes

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Emekus92(m): 12:26pm On Jun 29, 2018
The VAR makes error after watching and re-watching those in charge should be punished
Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by horlahsunbo225(m): 12:26pm On Jun 29, 2018
bro you made a mistake, according to Wikipedia var can turn over the decision of a refree

The standard for overturning the referee's original decision is that there has been a "clear error", sometimes expanded to "clear and obvious error

source wikipedia

1 Like

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by ngwababe(f): 12:30pm On Jun 29, 2018
Na VAR dey decide,abi na referee? VAR no make brain, since referee go still decide wetin him wan do after him don watch the thing finish.
In as much as our strikers messed up, referee would've awarded us that penalty. Or is there any law in football that says a side of club,team or country shouldn't be awarded a penalty more than once in a match?? #justaskingthough undecided

5 Likes

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by kennosklint(m): 12:31pm On Jun 29, 2018
Ogun kill VAR dia.nonsense wei make Naija commot from world Cup

1 Like

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jun 29, 2018
kodded:

ask those that play video games with cheat,they get bored within a week

Wisdom wan kill you grin
Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by sunnyeinstein(m): 12:39pm On Jun 29, 2018
I am one who hates player coning the referee to win crucial penalties or score phantom goals... VAR has made me enjoy my football once again. Now I watch, knowing that if a player tries to do something out of order in the box, VAR go catch am.
Oh! And VAR helped us to see the beauty of Davidson Sanchez's tackle on Saido Mane yesterday to win the ball while Mane simply fell like a pack of cards looking for a penalty which VAR correctly denied... best tackle of the tournament!

5 Likes

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by AFONJAPIG(m): 12:39pm On Jun 29, 2018
kodded:
God bless the op,

without the last minute goal by the Korean how will German qualify when they are one down and have total 3point ...

1 Like

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by obi4eze(m): 12:40pm On Jun 29, 2018
Video Cheating Referee (VCR)
Video Influencing Referee (VIR)

2 Likes

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Yesbody: 12:43pm On Jun 29, 2018

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by OhiOfIhima: 12:43pm On Jun 29, 2018
VAR or VAT, whatever dey call u... We don't need it in EPL, dose error from referees sometime add to d fun of d game football.

1 Like

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Koolking(m): 12:50pm On Jun 29, 2018

Verdict: Correct decision for not giving the penalty, Wrong decision for not giving Yellow Card to Neymar

1 Like

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Confor(m): 12:52pm On Jun 29, 2018

From the above analysis, VAR is not the Problem but the Referee who made the decisions. Which foul is unintentional when an error is committed. Besides, there are 2 things that govern Football on the pitch. Intentional & Unintentional as stated by the analyst here, but the later was a grave error at the crucial committed by ROJO which can be avoided. So do not take us for FOOLS we also play football and watch how soccer is been officiated. cool

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jun 29, 2018
Var ko.. They have spoil the game jare.. Take the referee away from the pitch and let var do the work na.. Rubbish

2 Likes

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by koli78: 12:54pm On Jun 29, 2018
Most Affordable ICT Solution Strictly for NGOs GUARANTEED You Can’t Get Elsewhere

Internet, the grandest and most massive of all communication platforms, can be a superb vehicle of success for these organizations
With this incredible offer, we provide solutions that can further help genuine NGOs put smiles on faces that truly need them

What You Get!

==? 1 year US-based Hosting (comes with unlimited Traffic)
==? Free Domain for 1 Year
==? Beautiful Crafted NGO-focused Website with Solid SEO
==? Payment Gateway to accept online funds
==? Logo Design for your NGO Brand (in case you don’t have)
==? Websites comes with 99.9% uptime
==? Basic Website Maintenance for 1 Year for FREE...YES! For Absolutely FREE!
==? 2 Banner Designs to promote your brand…FOR FREE

Let’s support you to continue to put smiles on faces....the Digital Way

Get NOW for N19,999!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth / UEFA Women's Champions League Draws. See Who Nigerians Are Playing Against / Arsenal Chiefs 'set To Meet Barca Officials To Thrash Out Coutinho Loan Deal'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.