Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,892 members, 7,802,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:32 AM

How To Fix An Oversalted Meal - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Fix An Oversalted Meal (38056 Views)

Meal On A Budget For Now Till Salary Enters. Turned Out Just D Way I Like It. / Bayelsa Man Prepares Meal With Alligator Meat (Photos) / Hot Lady's Weird Meal Combo Sparks Outrage Online (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by flex04(m): 5:10pm On Jun 29, 2018

Salt can be your best friend in the kitchen. It enhances flavours taking a dish from drab to vibrant with just a pinch. But what do you do when you have seasoned a dish and you realize that you’ve added way too much salt? Relax and do not panic as Jumia Food, Nigeria’s no 1 food ordering platform, discusses how you can fix an oversalted dish.

Make more

The most obvious solution to an oversalted meal is to make more. If you have enough ingredients, double the recipe or make more by half, then mix it in with the salty batch until you’ve reached your desired flavour.

Add some dairy

If the dish allows it, add some dairy to it. This could be yoghurt, milk, cream or even coconut milk. The choice of dairy will depend on the dish at hand. Dairy helps cut both the spice and salt, without diluting the meal too much, and can also add a wonderful creaminess to your food

Raw potato

This is probably the oldest trick in the book. Just peel and chop one or two potatoes and add them to your dish. As the potato cooks, it’ll also absorb some of that saltiness. If it’s a meaty curry, you may want to cook the potato till it’s done and leave it in the curry too. Potatoes can also be subbed with rice, but that depends on what you are cooking.

Dilute with liquid

With this option, you just want to be careful not to dilute all the hard-earned flavours as well as the salt, so don’t reach straight for the water. Opt instead for unsalted broth, some unsalted diced tomatoes, or a splash of cream or wine. Make sure you are adding something that will add to the flavour and not dilute the dish.

Re-season, but not with salt

If you’ve mitigated the saltiness by adding liquids or other ingredients, you’ll likely need to bolster the other seasonings so that you don’t end up with a perfectly salted but otherwise underwhelming dish.

Source: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal

19 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by CChillz: 5:12pm On Jun 29, 2018
3rd FTC in a day.
I tried the "addition of milk" my brother the food caused constipation o" ma belle big small, but I've handled it. I'm a guy and I love cooking like crazy, it doesn't hurt to try out things like this because you stand to gain more knowledge and insight

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by Alejoc(m): 5:19pm On Jun 29, 2018
Good addition!

4 Likes

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:09am On Jun 30, 2018
GOOD thread.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by HonAdeli(m): 5:09am On Jun 30, 2018
Educative thread

6 Likes

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by Wynnah(m): 5:13am On Jun 30, 2018
Enlightening

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by calddon(m): 5:13am On Jun 30, 2018
Neva seen my maa overput salt, dat womans eyes have guage, even when another is cooking her salt specifications dont lie. What a generation

58 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by KingLennon(m): 5:15am On Jun 30, 2018
Did u realise how our mothers cook? They don't need to measure the salt, they just scoop it on their palms and apply it. And if u taste it, it will be okay. Our Indomie generation wives don't know that secret grin

103 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by amendara1: 5:16am On Jun 30, 2018
Knowledgeable trends thanks for the information

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by QuietHammer(m): 5:20am On Jun 30, 2018
post=68948154:
GOOD thread.
This is how this nigga jumps into all threads grin

How's life my man?

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:21am On Jun 30, 2018
To the poster above... if you don't jump behind him on every thread, I wonder how you know, ubiquitous fellow!

Anyways,
We only reply business oriented mentions and sensible quotes.
So bye!

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by Baybii: 5:25am On Jun 30, 2018
post=68948154:
GOOD thread.

For your barbecue?

14 Likes

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by israelmao(m): 5:25am On Jun 30, 2018
Some people have issues with their taste buds so much so that they can't differeciate between a moderately and highly salted meal that why they add more salt to already cooked meal which is inimical to their health.Too much salt could lead to a chronic heart condition.

2 Likes

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:26am On Jun 30, 2018
Baybii:

For your barbecue?
More like it, we do make such mistake with salt when we started some years ago and we use some of this remedy to tame it down.
But now, we can salt with our eyes closed.
No be God?! wink cheesy grin

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:27am On Jun 30, 2018
israelmao:
Some people have issues with their taste boards so much so that they can't differeciate between a moderately and highly salted meal that why they add more salt to already cooked meal which is inimical to their health.Too much salt could lead to a chronic heart condition.
Taste buds bro.
I am sure that is a typo or an oversight
We make such mistakes sometimes too.
Just edit and move on.
Hugs!
Very Good comment by the way!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by Orokita(m): 5:32am On Jun 30, 2018
Best solution is putting the theory of osmosis and diffusion into use..... Wait for it...... tongue grin

Put water in a bigger bowl and sit the salty pot of food in the water for 10-15minutes...... Ensure the pot is still hot. Thank me later

1 Like

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by israelmao(m): 5:32am On Jun 30, 2018
post=68948296:
Taste buds bro. I am sure that is a typo or an oversight We make such mistakes sometimes too. Just edit and move on. Hugs! Very Good comment by the way!
Thanks for spotting that spelling error.

1 Like

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by israelmao(m): 5:32am On Jun 30, 2018
post=68948296:
Taste buds bro. I am sure that is a typo or an oversight We make such mistakes sometimes too. Just edit and move on. Hugs! Very Good comment by the way!

1 Like

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by rawpadgin(m): 5:33am On Jun 30, 2018
grin
Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:33am On Jun 30, 2018
israelmao:

You are always welcome my brother.
Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by princeade86(m): 5:33am On Jun 30, 2018
nice
Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:34am On Jun 30, 2018
israelmao:

You welcome, have a great weekend ahead sire.

1 Like

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by wink2015(m): 5:39am On Jun 30, 2018
Nice write up!

But the best solutions is to avoid getting a meal oversalted.

Does this solutions for oversalted meal apply to over pepperish meal?

There are some of us that prepare YORUBA stew or soup which is known for TOO MUCH PEPPER

How do one deppepperize it? Ignore my english

3 Likes

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by femi4: 5:43am On Jun 30, 2018
wink2015:
Nice write up!

But the best solutions is to avoid getting a meal oversalted.

Does this solutions for oversalted meal apply to over pepperish meal.

That's not solution, that's prevention. Oversalted meal is inevitable. It ll happen

2 Likes

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by ceejay80s(m): 5:54am On Jun 30, 2018
this thread is for women na!!!
Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by Dottore: 5:55am On Jun 30, 2018
Ok
Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by Kelamma(m): 5:58am On Jun 30, 2018
Why will you even over salt my food in the first place? angry
Didn't your mama teach you how to cook?
No no no! I don't take nonsense..so don't tell me that mistakes can happen!

1 Like

Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by Carinaflo(f): 6:02am On Jun 30, 2018
Good
Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by Carinaflo(f): 6:03am On Jun 30, 2018
Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by weyreypey: 6:05am On Jun 30, 2018
QuietHammer:

How's life my man?
Is that your sister?
Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by Enugufirstson(m): 6:11am On Jun 30, 2018
Nice thread. ..

Though not for international cooks like us.. ... shocked
Re: How To Fix An Oversalted Meal by Nobody: 6:18am On Jun 30, 2018
QuietHammer:

How's life my man?

I don't think he sleeps. Just like Onila and one other girl like that.. those two rarely sleep or leave nairaland then

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? / Which Of These Cereals Do You Prefer / Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.