Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

The Miserable Spinster - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Miserable Spinster (19591 Views)

The Miserable Voice Of An Almajiri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 10:41am On Sep 29, 2018
Rita was very concerned when Amanda told her about Beke's treatment.

'I'm sorry, you're going through all these,' Rita said. 'You're so unlucky with guys. But I will advise you not to leave him yet. Maybe you should talk it over with him. Let him know that battering a woman is a very cowardly act.'

Amanda thought it over. She decided she woild give Beke one more chance. That evening, she cooked jollof rice and fried plantain. She had made up her mind to talk it over with him as soon as he came in. He did not come in until few minutes to eleven. Once again, there a slur in his speech and the smell of alcohol under his breath was unmistakable.

Amanda was depressed. Was this his new lifestyle? But he wasm't like this before. He was so caring, generous and considerate before.

What could make a man to change like this? Could it be frustration, or what? As it was, she might have to wait longer before she could talk to him. She could certainly not to talk to him in this kind of mood.

She remembered the previous night and how he had decked her some blows. No, she did not want a repeat of that violent event.

So, this was the man she had planned to spend to spend the rest of her life with. She shook her head and felt sorry for herself. Things could not continue like this.

She woke up middle of the night and thought over things again, while Beke snored on noisily. Right there in the bedroom, she could here music coming from a church in the neighbourhood. The church always had regular vigils.

Amanda could hear the songs they were singing clearly.

...Yahweh, your is Y-a-h-w-e-h
You're the miracle working God
Your name is Y-a-h-w-e-h...

Something struck her mind. Why not go for deliverance? Why not go for vigils and pray to God?

Instead of consulting a prophet, why not pray directly to God and leave Him to take charge of her life?

She was beautiful. She had a good job. The only problem was this life partnership issue.

She would do something about it. Right there, she decided that she would be going for regular church services and would dedicate her life to Christ. Starting from that moment.

She got down from the bed and knelt by the bedside. For the first time in her life, she cried as she prayed to almighty God to come to her aid.

3 Likes

Re: The Miserable Spinster by skubido(m): 11:19am On Sep 29, 2018
Hmmm

OP tanks a lot for the update

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 1:55pm On Sep 30, 2018
Amanda prayed while Beke slept on. It was the longest prayer she had ever made so far. She opened up to God about her inadequacies and pleaded that God take control of her life, in her own admission, she had come to realise that she could not do things right on her own. On relationship, she was simply tired of all the disappontments and heartaches. She wanted genuine intervention.

After the prayers, she felt quite relieved. Her bunden was lightened considerably. She went back to bed and slept off. The following morning, she woke up, feeling better. That gave her the impression that if prayers could bring some form of relief at all, then, ultimately, more prayers would bring more comfort and more peace of mind. She decided that she would deviate from this path again.

Even in her place of work, some of her colleagues were quick to note that she now had a cheerful look.
After close of work, she attended the evening programme of her neighbourhood church.

When the pastor called for those who wished to give their lives to Christ to do so, Amanda willingly stepped forward. She recited after the pastor that she was a sinner, but now genuinely sought Jeses as her personal Lord and saviour. She pleaded that the blood of Jesus should cleanse her of all sins and guilt.

At home, Beke was too wrapped in his own thoughts to notice any significance change in the life of Amanda. The only different thing he oberved was that when he rubbed his hands on her body, being in 'the mood,' she put his hands away.

'Oh, come on, baby,' Beke said. 'Are still mad at me?'

'No, I'm not mad at you. But I feel seriously repulsive that you would raise your hands and hit me.'

'I hit you?' he asked in surprise. 'Did I really hit you?'

'Don't tell me you've forgotten so soon how beastly you behaved.'

He looked shocked. The he shocked her when he went on his knees. 'Dear Amanda, please in any way I've offended you, forgive me.'

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 2:08pm On Sep 30, 2018
Amanda prayed while Beke slept on. It was the longest prayer she had ever made so far. She opened up to God about her inadequacies and pleaded that God take control of her life.

In her own admission, she had come to realise that she could not do things right on her own. On relationship, she was simply tired of all the disappontments and heartaches. She wanted genuine intervention.

After the prayers, she felt quite relieved. Her bunden was lightened considerably. She went back to bed and slept off. The following morning, she woke up, feeling better. That gave her the impression that if prayers could bring some form of relief at all, then, ultimately, more prayers would bring more comfort and more peace of mind.

She decided that she would deviate from this path again.

Even in her place of work, some of her colleagues were quick to note that she now had a cheerful look.
After close of work, she attended the evening programme of her neighbourhood church.

When the pastor called for those who wished to give their lives to Christ to do so, Amanda willingly stepped forward. She recited after the pastor that she was a sinner, but now genuinely sought Jesus as her personal Lord and saviour. She pleaded that the blood of Jesus should cleanse her of all sins and guilt.

At home, Beke was too wrapped up in his own thoughts to notice any significance change in the life of Amanda. As usual, he would be out all day and would only return late in the night. Only that he did not come home drunk tonight.

The only different thing he oberved was that when he rubbed his hands on her body, being in 'the mood,' she put his hands away. This was very much unlike what she used to do.

'Oh, come on, baby,' Beke said. 'Are still mad at me?'

'No, I'm not mad at you. But I feel seriously repulsive that you would raise your hands and hit me.'

'I hit you?' he asked in surprise. 'Did I really hit you?'

'Don't tell me you've forgotten so soon how beastly you behaved.'

He looked shocked. The he shocked her when he went on his knees. 'Dear Amanda, please in any way I've offended you, forgive me.'
Re: The Miserable Spinster by aprilwise(m): 4:15pm On Sep 30, 2018
I advice Amanda to leave Beke house if she really want a change of life.

2 Likes

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Ann2012(f): 10:21pm On Sep 30, 2018
Hmmmm

Hope Beke has really changed?

2 Likes

Re: The Miserable Spinster by skubido(m): 10:29pm On Sep 30, 2018
Ann2012:
Hmmmm

Hope Beke has really changed?

Can that one change?

2 Likes

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Ann2012(f): 2:42am On Oct 01, 2018
skubido:

Can that one change?

Maybe

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 2:49pm On Oct 01, 2018
Amanda gazed at him. He could see unbelief and uncertainty in her.

'I'll be the old, caring Beke you used to know,' he said. 'I promise.'

Amanda sighed. 'There are new developments now that you need to know. Please sit down and let's talk.'

He eyed her somehow. 'Don't tell me that your ex- has recovered his memory and now wants you back.'

She shook her head. 'No, it's not about him. It's something totally different.'

He sat down next to her. 'What could that be, baby?'

She sighed deeply. 'I've started a new life now, a wonderful life. I will like you to embrace the same kind of life.'

There was curiosity all over him. 'What are you talking about, dear?'

'I've given my life to Christ now. I'm a genuine child of God, a born-again. I want you to do the same.'

'What?' He cringed back as if he had just been told an abominable thing. 'You're kidding, aren't you?'

Amanda shook her head slowly but determinedly. 'I'm very serious. I'm a changed person, and I must say the experience is awesome. I will like you too to have the same kind of wonderful experience.'

Beke stood up. 'I can't believe it. You, born-again? And you want me too to be part of that?'

He suddenly laughed shortly. 'Stop the joke, Amanda baby. You can't do that. You can't be serious.'

'I'm serious, ' she insisted. 'Beke, please give your life to Christ. Give it today, because tomorrow may be too late.'

'Oh, Amanda, please spare me that. I don't want to hear anything of that stuff.'

With that, he left her and went to the bedroom. She remained on the sofa in the sitting-room, reading the Bible from her phone.

He soon re-emerged. 'Well, are you going to remain there chatting on the phone forever? Come to the bedroom, dear.'

'I'm not chatting with anyone. I'm reading the Bible.'

He raised an eyebrow. 'Well, is it not time to come to bed. It's time I feel your heart-beat again.'

Amanda shook her head. 'That's part of what I'm saying, Beke. We have to put a stop to it.'

He opened his mouth in shock. 'Put an end to what?'

'We should not be sleeping together now. We're supposed to defer that till wedding.'

He could not belief it. He stared at her again.

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by aprilwise(m): 3:28pm On Oct 01, 2018
Amanda how long will she stood on her ground.

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by skubido(m): 3:34pm On Oct 01, 2018
Hmmmm

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by dadalicious: 3:46pm On Oct 01, 2018
Amanda
Oya
Come and be going home oh
Or go and stay with Rita
I don't want you in that house again

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 1:16pm On Oct 03, 2018
The grin dropped from his face. 'You're taking this thing far, aren't you?'

'That's the way it is now.'

He glared at her for some seconds before retreating inside the bedroom.

Amanda did more reading and did some thinking. It was obviouse she had to leave that house. From her new faith, two people that were not legally married should not be sleeping together. It was a sin and meant she had been committing fornication.

She would just have to stay with Rita for the time being. She was sure within weeks, she would get a new accommodation for herself.

She decided that for the remaining days she would spend in that house, she would be sleeping in the sitting-room.But that shouldn't be long. Infact, why no leave the following day?

Amanda called Rita the following morning, not long after she got to work.

'Rita, how's everything?'

'Fine. What abount you?'

'Not so fine, but we thank God.' She paused briefly. 'Rita, I'm moving my things to yoursef today.'

Rita wasn't surprised as Amanda had hinted her before.

'Did he hit you again?' Rita asked.

'No, no. I'm however tired of staying in his place. Besides, my spirit is not at peace there again

'Okay. You're always welcome, there Amanda.'

'Thank you, my friend. You're such a darling.'

They talked a bit more before Amanda hanged up. After she closed from her working place, Amanda went home and parked her things. As usual, Beke was not at home that time of the day.

She decided to leave a note for him. In it, she thanked for offering her his home. She however regretted that her new faith was at variance with the practice of living together as a coulpe when they're not yet married.

If he was still interested in having the relationship, he should do things the normal way and gave his life to Christ, she wrote. If he was not ready to abide by that simple requirement, she wrote further, he should forget about her and move on with his life.

She left the note on the center table, where he would easily see it. She then took a cab and left the place.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Miserable Spinster by lawlhee: 5:37pm On Oct 03, 2018
It's good to have good friends, nothing beats that. Rita is really trying for Amanda.

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by skubido(m): 11:08am On Oct 04, 2018

Comma continue oo

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 5:48pm On Oct 05, 2018
It was hours after Amanda had gone that Beke came inside. It did not take him time before he saw the note she left there.

'What! So, this lady can indeed leave like that?' He told himself. It was not that he was completely surprised, but at least he expected her to inform him of her intention before carrying it out.

He felt some indignation that she had treated him with contempt. On the spur of the moment, Beke called her line.

'So, you were planning to leave and you didn't even have the curtesy of letting me know,' he said, anger in his voice.

'Yes, I'm sorry, but I left a note that expresses my appreciation for what you have done and explains my reasons for leaving.'

'You could have simply told me you were gong. Anyway, good riddance to you. I wish you miserable spinster good luck.'

Amanda was appalled ny his choice of words. 'What did you say?' she demanded on the phone. 'Did you just call me a miserable spinster?'

No answer was forthcoming as he had cut the line. Amanda was saddened by that comment. How could he call her a miserable spinster?

Tears swelled up in her eyes and she cried briefly. Oh God, she prayed silently in her mind. See how scoffers are mocking me. Come to my rescue, oh Lord!

She decided she would not let any negative perception or comment deter her. She looked for a good church near Rita's house and started attending it religiously and faithfully.

'This your effort is paying off o,' Rita told her few days after coming to the house. 'I've been observing you. You don't let things weigh you down as you used to do. Infact, you're beginning to look radiant again.'

Amanda smiled. 'Thank you, my dear friend.'

'See,' Rita said further. 'That flat you said you want to rent, forget about it for now. The space here can well accommodate us.'

'Are you sure? I don't want to inconvenience you,' Amanda said.

'No, no,' you're not inconveniencing,' Rita argued. 'Stay here.'

Amanda thanked her a lot. What a good friend she had in Rita. Soon, Rita - who was not a regular church goer - started following Amanda to the church.

Amanda remained fervent just as she was consistent in her prayers.

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Ann2012(f): 6:37am On Oct 06, 2018
Rita is a good friend

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by skubido(m): 8:22pm On Oct 06, 2018
OP shey Amanda don forget her husband ni?

Tanks a lot for the update

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Wonderwoman7: 4:29am On Oct 11, 2018
ToyinOlorunsola:
The grin dropped from his face. 'You're taking this thing far, aren't you?'

'That's the way it is now.'

He glared at her for some seconds before retreating inside the bedroom.

Amanda did more reading and did some thinking. It was obviouse she had to leave that house. From her new faith, two people that were not legally married should not be sleeping together. It was a sin and meant she had been committing fornication.

She would just have to stay with Rita for the time being. She was sure within weeks, she would get a new accommodation for herself.

She decided that for the remaining days she would spend in that house, she would be sleeping in the sitting-room.But that shouldn't be long. Infact, why no leave the following day?

Amanda called Rita the following morning, not long after she got to work.

'Rita, how's everything?'

'Fine. What abount you?'

'Not so fine, but we thank God.' She paused briefly. 'Rita, I'm moving my things to yoursef today.'

Rita wasn't surprised as Amanda had hinted her before.

'Did he hit you again?' Rita asked.

'No, no. I'm however tired of staying in his place. Besides, my spirit is not at peace there again

'Okay. You're always welcome, there Amanda.'

'Thank you, my friend. You're such a darling.'
Come and finish what you started ma
You cannot leave your fans hanging

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 7:57pm On Oct 11, 2018
It was amazing the kind of new experience she was having. It restored her confidence and boosted her morale. She also had more assurance that all would be well. Some months after she started living with Rita, a client came to buy and register a new sim card at the telecommunication company where she worked. A young man that should be in his mid-thirties was to be thumb printed by Amanda.

'Thank God you're the one to take my biiometric. I've been praying you'll be the one,' the man said.

'Really?'

'Yes.'

She took the finger prints and the man's snapshot.

'My spirit tells me you're the wife I've been searching for,' the man said in a voice scarcely above a whisper.

Amanda paused briefly to study the man. Was this one serious at all, or was he just saying things for the sake of saying them?

The man must have sensed what was going on in her mind."i mean what I'm saying,' he said. 'Can I have your number?'

Amanda remembered how Beke had started the affair. It was very similar to this situation. She did not want a repeat of that unpalatable experience. Her mind went back to Dave. Dave was yet to have his memory back and had maintained a cold perception of Amanda. When She even remembered how she had tried to have Dave to herself by fetish means in the first place, she was repulsive about that action. How could she do that?

It was certainly a kind of action she would never take again. She had therefore totally given up on Dave. As for Beke, if he would amend his ways and become a God-fearing guy, she could still give him a chance.

Now, another man was pestering her again.

'I'm not desperate for a relationship,' Amanda said.

'I didn't say you are,' the man said. 'What I said is that I have a belief that you are my wife.'

'Just like that?'

'No. Not just like that. I believe it must have been ordained by God Himself.'

Amanda sighed but said nothing. She had finished attending to the man and another customer was waiting to be attended to. She studied the guy. He was handsome and looked cool. If only the face could really show the kind of person somebody was. This one looked harmless, but Amanda had learned not to trust people by the way they looked.

But, perhaps, she should give the man a chance, after all, she had decided that there would now be a code of strict conduct for any man who desired her intimacy. It would not just be a matter of jumping at any man.
Not so willingly, she gave the man her number.

5 Likes

Re: The Miserable Spinster by skubido(m): 8:26pm On Oct 11, 2018
U don start abi, your body go soon tell you.

Tanks for the update

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Ann2012(f): 9:32pm On Oct 11, 2018
skubido:
U don start abi, your body go soon tell you.

Tanks for the update

No mind her

Thanks OP

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Horlaslim(m): 7:11am On Oct 12, 2018
Nice story but updating is taking long.

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Horlaslim(m): 9:20am On Nov 22, 2018
The writer of this story don disappear

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" / Broken Heart*** / GOOD GUY AT 23

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.