Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,506 members, 7,808,861 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:09 PM

Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' (58597 Views)

Eyewitness Reveals Cause Of Otedola Bridge Explosion: Foolishness Killed Them / Otedola Bridge Lagos Tanker Fire: Man Narrates How He Escaped / Otedola Bridge, Lagos Tanker Explosion: 'Pictures Cannot Explain What I Saw' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by BloggersNG: 6:35am On Jun 30, 2018
A 41-year-old commercial bus driver, who augments his daily income by operating as a vulcaniser by the side is also one of the victims at the Otedola Fire Accident.

The father of three and native of Osun State invests much of his energy and time into productive activities that would help put food on the table for his family.

On Thursday afternoon, while ferrying passengers in his 18-seater bus from Lagos to the Mowe/Ibafo area of neighbouring Ogun, a bigger worry was added to Olaitan’s growing list.

A speeding tanker laden with around 33, 000 litres of Premium Motor Spirit – one of the deadliest and easily combustible liquids in the world – that had lost control suddenly fell a few metres away from Otedola Bridge, a popular axis along the Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, spilling its content all over the place and bursting into flames shortly afterwards.

The 41-year-old whose commercial bus was directly behind the ill-fated tanker, the moment brought a glimpse of perhaps what the end of the world would look like.

“I saw darkness everywhere immediately the tanker exploded,” he said while speaking with Saturday Beat on his hospital bed where yards of bandages now strapped him like an armour.

“I thought I was going to die. It was as if the end had come. There was commotion everywhere, just like in a war. Nothing else came to my mind.

We all believed it was the end,” he added soberly as he narrated his ordeal to his teary-eyed wife – Faidat – and other family members, who had come to check on him on Friday morning.

While attributing his narrow escape to divine grace, the Ile-Ife indigene said that for a few minutes after the tanker fell, he and others in the vehicle were confused as to what to do.

He revealed that it was while it was being argued that the content of the truck was diesel or petrol that the entire place erupted in flames. According to him, after being briefly knocked out by the sound of the explosion, he managed to regain consciousness and enough strength to force his way out of the bus through the front passenger seat. But even after exiting the vehicle, his fears were far from over.

“I jumped into a gutter full of dirty water immediately I forced my way out of the bus,” he said, slowly adjusting his sitting position on the bed. “I had hoped to use the water to quench the fire on my body but unknown to me the water had already mixed with the petrol that had spilled from the tanker. That compounded my problem.

While I was struggling to quench the fire on my body, I did not know that my head was burning. I managed to run across the road and into an uncompleted building where people around helped me put out the fire. That was my saving grace, otherwise only God knows what would have happened to me,” he stated.

Gossip From Ebiwali--
http://www.ebiwalisgossip.com/2018/06/its-was-like-war-we-thought-world-has.html

5 Shares

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by kestolove95(m): 6:43am On Jun 30, 2018
Sorry fah...

9 Likes

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Georgemurphy(m): 6:43am On Jun 30, 2018
This are terrifying time.i pray we get it right soonest or this madness of negligence in our polity will send us all packing from this country one day(soonest)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Georgemurphy(m): 6:43am On Jun 30, 2018
This are terrifying time.i pray we get it right soonest or this madness of negligence in our polity will send us all packing from this country one day(soonest) lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by ipobarethieves: 6:50am On Jun 30, 2018
Anjade lo loni Eledumare. ji jade WA, maje a pade Agbako. Ohun ti a o je la wa lo baba, ma je apade Ohun ti o je wa

83 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Queenug(f): 7:17am On Jun 30, 2018
this is so terrible. sorry dear thank God you survived it

8 Likes

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by falcon01: 7:23am On Jun 30, 2018
Thank God? what about the families of the dead? This is insensitive.

4 Likes

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Topmaike007(m): 7:52am On Jun 30, 2018
nna na God oo

1 Like

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by DonPikko: 2:59pm On Jun 30, 2018
add graphic please
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jun 30, 2018
Georgemurphy:
This are terrifying time.i pray we get it right soonest or this madness of negligence in our polity will send us all packing from this country one day(soonest)

YEA BRO, I HAVE BEEN PRAYING FOR LONG, LET'S KEEP PRAYING TO GET IT RIGHT JUST LIKE THE JAPANESE DID

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by israelmao(m): 3:02pm On Jun 30, 2018
Thank God for your lives.
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jun 30, 2018
A speeding tanker laden with around 33, 000 litres of Premium

But a dashboard video in circulation showed that the tanker was stationary. Why this lie?
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Jokerman(m): 3:02pm On Jun 30, 2018
we thank God for his mercies sir....
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by LOVEGINO(m): 3:04pm On Jun 30, 2018
Na wa oooo. One problem in Nigeria or the other.
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by crackhouse(m): 3:05pm On Jun 30, 2018
Na wa o
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Ruddyman(m): 3:06pm On Jun 30, 2018
And someone gave a figure of 9
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by SolutionMee: 3:07pm On Jun 30, 2018
Exaggeration

1 Like

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by wink2015(m): 3:08pm On Jun 30, 2018
I wish the injured victims quick recovery.

BUHARI IS SITTING ON THE PETROLEUM MINISTRY BUT DOING NOTHING WITH THAT OFFICE.

A bad character he inherited from Obasanjo that a President is equally qualified to head the ministry of Petroleum.

Give that office to another competent minister that is innovative and creative,but Buhari is refusing due to personal greed.

Cameroun and Canada are using train via railway line to convey petroleum products thereby decongesting the public highway of dangerous tankers.

But in Nigeria, our leaders are blind to new or old technological knowhow that is used in the industrialised world.

IT IS SIMPLY OUTDATED TO BE USING TANKER TO BE CONVEYING PETROLEUM PRODUCTS MORESO IN PUBLIC HIGHWAY.

The development of an efficient railway line system that will be used to convey petroleum products and agricultural goods is what the Nigerian government should put in place to avert this needless tragedy.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jun 30, 2018
A speeding tanker laden with around 33, 000 litres of Premium

But a dashboard video in circulation showed that the tanker was stationary. Why this lie?
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Fahrenhite(m): 3:09pm On Jun 30, 2018
What a narrow escape
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Dicksonpal: 3:09pm On Jun 30, 2018
They were arguing whether it's petrol or diesel, like Wtf!!!!!!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Eagleword14(f): 3:11pm On Jun 30, 2018
Thank God for ur life sir. I pray that the burns will heal speedily...in Jesus name

2 Likes

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by XingXhang(m): 3:15pm On Jun 30, 2018
They were arguing... That's all I saw.

3 Likes

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by umama23(f): 3:15pm On Jun 30, 2018
TrumpedL:

Hope you know what you are saying, Mr investigator.

3 Likes

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jun 30, 2018
TrumpedL:

Nigerians and their embellishments.

I’ve never seen a speeding fuel tanker in Nigeria.

Their dangerous driving and condition are not related to speed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by ayotoyin(f): 3:15pm On Jun 30, 2018
TrumpedL:

The tanker was not stationary, d one I saw in d video or dashboard stuff is not d one that fell. The dashboard might probably be looking at his back.

The tanker that fell was moving, then suddenly reversing before it fell. The dashboard man most likely might be in d front, that was why he escaped. All buses behind got burnt.

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by motivativesweet: 3:16pm On Jun 30, 2018
thank God for his life

the tanker didn't explode immediately it fell, it took abt 2 complete minutes before catching fire

the affected people is what I call " stupid faith"
even if a kerosene tanker, I stay mikes away clear from that area

1 Like

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jun 30, 2018
Dicksonpal:
There were arguing whether it's petrol or diesel, like Wtf!!!!!!

Just imagine the stupidity.

They should be arguing that from across the road.

2 Likes

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by umama23(f): 3:17pm On Jun 30, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Nigerians and their embellishments.

I’ve never seen a speeding fuel tanker in Nigeria.

which part of Nigeria do you live or do you live in every part of the country?

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Brushing His Teeth On London Train, Video & Photos Go Viral / "My Wife Walked Out Of This Accident Without A Single Scratch" / The Final Moments Before A Plane Crashed In South Africa (Graphic Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.