Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,952 members, 7,806,759 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:46 PM

Cost Effective Means Of Taking Care Of A Baby - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Cost Effective Means Of Taking Care Of A Baby (6396 Views)

Ex-Husband Gives Current Husband Appreciation Gift For Taking Care Of His Kids / Mom Shows Her Son What It Feels Like Taking Care Of A Baby (Pics) / "Stop Congratulating Men For Taking Care Of Their Children " - Lady Argues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Effective Means Of Taking Care Of A Baby by eeewise(m): 9:03am On Jul 02, 2018
Mummy Tobi, are you sure that baby is not hungry? How old is she? Seven months. Have you introduced other foods apart from breast milk? No. I am giving only infant formula and breast milk.
Then she must really be hungry. When a baby cries so loud while she is wide awake, she wants to be fed. The cry shows the baby is not getting enough food.
At age six months, you should introduce your baby to other foods known as weaning— mixed feeding or introduction of solid foods. This should begin for infants by six months of age (26 weeks) but not before 17 weeks.
Breast milk or infant formula should continue during the complementary feeding period with the amount gradually reduced as the variety of foods increases. As all infants’ needs are different, mothers should also be aware of key nutrients and foods needed in line with resources available.
Foods to introduce
At six months, it is time to try solid food. Every baby is different, so there is no telling how your baby will take to this new experience. He may need a while to get used to new tastes and textures.
Milk is not enough anymore
At six months, your baby starts to need extra nutrients, in particular iron. But he still needs breast milk or formula as well, until he is a year old. During baby’s first six months, the digestive and immune systems have been gradually gaining strength. The body is now ready to process solid food.
Once your baby is six months old, you can give other foods; try new ones quickly.
F oods to begin with
Well-mashed cooked vegetables, such as potato, sweet potato, carrot, broccoli or cauliflower. Also, fruit, such as ripe cooked apple, pear, mango or papaya or mashed fruit such as ripe avocado or banana. Baby rice or other cereal mixed with your usual milk
Once your baby is happy eating from a spoon, you can increase the range of foods. Try blended meat and fish or chicken. Cook thoroughly and remove bones. Whole milk yoghurt and custard is also good. Don’t give cow’s milk (or goat’s or sheep’s) until he’s a year old.
Starchy foods
It’s a good idea to base on starchy foods. Breakfast cereals, baby breadsticks, potatoes, couscous, bread, pasta, millet, rice and oats are okay. Your baby needs one protein-rich food at each meal. This could be: fish, but not shark, swordfish and marlin, well-cooked eggs, dairy produce, lean red meat, poultry lentils.
Give diluted juice in a beaker or feeding cup, rather than a bottle. Follow-on formula milk can be used if you wish. But there’s no need for you to give it to your baby if he’s already eating balanced meals.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Cost Effective Means Of Taking Care Of A Baby by stepo707: 7:15am On Jul 07, 2018
ifyalways:

Yes, you are right. Our parents fed us home grown fresh veggies and fruits. They made pap with ground nut and crayfish for us.

Buy your wife a washing machine that spins so she can use cloth diapers for your baby. Disposable diapers is not for everyone but dont expect your wife to handwash and dry baby diapers eveeyday.

Join your wife in soaking corn/millet and make healthy tom brown for your baby, its far more better than nurtibom,noodles and golden morn.

Buy better blender so your wife can blend fish, potatoes,fruits for your babies. Better that way.

Parenthood no be mouth.
What fruit and veggies can we use in feeding babies?
Re: Cost Effective Means Of Taking Care Of A Baby by chii8(f): 8:59pm On Jul 07, 2018
Babies enjoy succulent fruits, mothers should learn to make soyabeans with crayfish, groundnut and unripe plantain fried with little red oil, when grounded together, you can give it to the baby with pap.Wipes should be used only on outings (did our mothers use wipes?) diapers (MOLFIX) should be used only at night and when on outings.Also, there's this plastic mortar and pestle for mashing solid food for babies at the market.
A nine months old baby should have his or her own share of food cooked in the house everyday.(sometimes,too much oyinbo no good abeg)

2 Likes

Re: Cost Effective Means Of Taking Care Of A Baby by ireneidiva(f): 2:51am On Jul 08, 2018
chii8:
Babies enjoy succulent fruits, mothers should learn to make soyabeans with crayfish, groundnut and unripe plantain fried with little red oil, when grounded together, you can give it to the baby with pap.Wipes should be used only on outings (did our mothers use wipes?) diapers (MOLFIX) should be used only at night and when on outings.Also, there's this plastic mortar and pestle for mashing solid food for babies at the market.
A nine months old baby should have his or her own share of food cooked in the house everyday.(sometimes,too much oyinbo no good abeg)
Yes our mothers used wipes. What is it with you guys and making references to mothers? Most didn't use phones so feel free to go back to the stone age.

3 Likes

Re: Cost Effective Means Of Taking Care Of A Baby by ifyalways(f): 4:56pm On Jul 10, 2018
stepo707:

What fruit and veggies can we use in feeding babies?
Steam carrots,blend and give as puree.
Skin apple,steam,blend and give as puree.
Mash bananas
Blended watermelon.
Steam,blend broccoli and spinach
Etc

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Cost Effective Means Of Taking Care Of A Baby by enabledgoddess(f): 2:04pm On Jul 11, 2018
Your baby takes three nan in a month ? That's poor. Mine takes 2 in a week. That's roughly 8/9 in a month. One big cerelac, papnand soya milk.uses big huggies.. 64 in a pack . then 2 packs of big eva water. Babies are expensive. I think we spend roughly 20k-25k in a month. Tell wifey to reduce budget to that amount, but not 15k. What will she do with that ? In few months when babies begin to eat normal food, you won't have to spend. Take care of your jewel if you have the cash

1 Like

Re: Cost Effective Means Of Taking Care Of A Baby by enabledgoddess(f): 2:08pm On Jul 11, 2018
ifyalways:

Steam carrots,blend and give as puree.
Skin apple,steam,blend and give as puree.
Mash bananas
Blended watermelon.
Steam,blend broccoli and spinach

Can I give my six months old baby this ? If yes then maybe I will try the banana today. My baby acts like one who can't wait to have real food. Always dragging my own food when I'm eating
Etc
Re: Cost Effective Means Of Taking Care Of A Baby by eeewise(m): 2:53pm On Jul 11, 2018
enabledgoddess:
Your baby takes three nan in a month ? That's poor. Mine takes 2 in a week. That's roughly 8/9 in a month. One big cerelac, papnand soya milk.uses big huggies.. 64 in a pack . then 2 packs of big eva water. Babies are expensive. I think we spend roughly 20k-25k in a month. Tell wifey to reduce budget to that amount, but not 15k. What will she do with that ? In few months when babies begin to eat normal food, you won't have to spend. Take care of your jewel if you have the cash
20k is fair

1 Like

Re: Cost Effective Means Of Taking Care Of A Baby by chii8(f): 5:31pm On Jul 11, 2018
ireneidiva:

Yes our mothers used wipes. What is it with you guys and making references to mothers? Most didn't use phones so feel free to go back to the stone age.

Aunty,what I wrote up there is my opinion, you don't need to agree with me....

I believe training or caring for a child or baby should be done according to family income,if a woman decides to use 10packs of wipes in a month, it's because the husband can afford it.

1 Like

Re: Cost Effective Means Of Taking Care Of A Baby by ireneidiva(f): 5:33pm On Jul 11, 2018
chii8:

Aunty,what I wrote up there is my opinion, you don't need to agree with me....

I believe training or caring for a child or baby should be done according to family income,if a woman decides to use 10packs of wipes in a month, it's because the husband can afford it.
That is simply what you should have said. The mother's part was so unnecessary.

1 Like

Re: Cost Effective Means Of Taking Care Of A Baby by divinelove(m): 4:18pm On Jul 12, 2018
ifyalways:
Check out of this new genetation of Nigerians. . . If e no be sudden death before 50 years , e go be one kain yeye sickness in the 30's.

No fruit and veggies in your babies diets but you slay?
No better baby food all because of management but you wont encourage your wife to go for FP as your religious leader (who by the way is neither married nor have a child) have declared it a sin.
You feed your baby adult food and all sorts of chemical filled fast foods?

Pooor babies. Our parents did a better job. cry

have you thought about how people survived in the olden day? Baby way go survive go survive grin Even if u start giving them fufu at 7months. what doesn't kill d baby only makes him stronger grin

1 Like

Re: Cost Effective Means Of Taking Care Of A Baby by divinelove(m): 4:21pm On Jul 12, 2018
eeewise:

Our parents did not have diapers, nutribon and co

They used cloth, pap, mashed solid foods, guinea corn and co and we turn out fine

Its basically simple.. Know your familys total income and expenditure vis a vis monthly savings and adjust to it
That's what good women do.

God bless you

Baby that will survive will survive I don't see why an African baby will not start eating marshed food as from 10 months

1 Like

Re: Cost Effective Means Of Taking Care Of A Baby by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jul 12, 2018
A baby of 9 month is supposed to have started adult foods. When you introduce as it food,u reduce hands on the milk.

Instead of using meat ,she should be using fish to prepare most of the foods in the house with lots of crayfish( packed with omega 3 acids and all the essential amino acids).
Get good blender and blend avocado and banana and add milk for the baby.

There are lots of good food combinations that are not expensive u can use to for such kid.

When buying baby clothes, buy as ur pocket can carry.

Some family can use 15k or less while some can use up to 50k in a month. It boils down on management.
There is cloth napkin in the market. The husbands income is really small so she should learn how to improvise. If only baby is 30k, then add other monthly expenses and they will be running deficit at the end of the month.
Family management is wisdom. Don't use your yardstick to measure others.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Effective Means Of Taking Care Of A Baby by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jul 12, 2018
Some babies are allergic to groundnuts. One has to be very observant when using it for clues
Re: Cost Effective Means Of Taking Care Of A Baby by Debbieo(f): 7:51pm On Jul 12, 2018
My dear, to each man, his or her pocket, what I do for my 9 month old baby is, firstly she stopped breast milk by herself since she was 7 months, so in the mornings I make semo, like pap, and I add a little baby SMA Gold which I buy d big container for 6k, then I buy carelac 4, cos she goes to a day care, which is 2,500 for 1. Meaning 10k for 4 tins. She finishes 1 tin every week.so in the mornings she takes her semo n egg ( i break raw egg when making the semo, n milk, and I also put some in a food flask for her and 3 portions of cerelac to take to sch, when she's back she eats wat ever we r eating infact she prefers d adult meal.as for diaper 2 big ones in a month @ 4k each total budge ( cerelac 2,500 ×4 = 10k, diaper 4k×2 = 8k , create of eggs 1k, semo,maybe 3k total 21k. It all depends on ur budget.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It Good To Have Extra-Marital Affairs? / Help Mrs. Eniola Daramola / Divorcing...need Ur Advice Desperately

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.