Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:20 AM

Pastors As Political Godfathers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pastors As Political Godfathers (2576 Views)

Buhari's Cabinet: Shocker Awaits APC Godfathers - Tribuneonline / Photo: Voters Take To Their Heels As Political Thugs Attack In Akwa Ibom / Shoot Out At Jakande Lekki Lagos As Political Thugs Clash (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pastors As Political Godfathers by shinystar(m): 10:28pm On Mar 23, 2007
Last week, two leading presidential aspirants, Umar Yar Adua of PDP and ANPP'S Muhammed Buhari paid courtesy calls on some church leaders in Nigeria

While Yar Adua went to respected Pastor Enoch Adeboye, Buhari was with Charismatic Bishop David Oyedepo of Winners Chapel and outspoken Tunde Bakare of Latter Rain Assembly.

Why would they make these visits? To seek for prayers, support or endorsement? How far can such pastors' support help their presidential bids? Do pastors now qualify as godfathers?
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by donnie(m): 12:56pm On Mar 26, 2007
Well, they should if they are led of God to and of course, it matters what weight they can pull.  And as u know, it wouldn't do you much good if an uninfluential pastor is behind you.

Prof Pat Utomi was at the Last National youth conference in lagos with Pastor Chris. Also prsent were Femi Pedro, Deputy Governor of Lagos state,  one other governorship aspirant in lagos(i'v 4gotten his name) and other polititians.

Pastor Chris has not hidden his intention to swing the votes as he has promised to communicate who his members will vote for and who they should not vote for. I think this man of God can pull some weight.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by Backslider(m): 12:59pm On Mar 26, 2007
@ donnie

We as Pure Christians are to stay out of politics! Our attention is on Godly living.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by batu: 5:32pm On Mar 26, 2007
Backslider:

@ donnie
We as Pure Christians are to stay out of politics! Our attention is on Godly living.

grin grin grin grin grin
There he goes again. In other words, we as christians should bury our heads in the sand and not be responsible for changes in the society, while the rest of the society are making rules that we will be forced to live by.
Pharisee== 'the far they see, yet discern nothing'
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by Backslider(m): 6:37pm On Mar 26, 2007
@Beloved Batu,

I perceive that you have started developing a confrontational mind towards me, Any man that Speaks should Substantiate with Scripture. The bible says our weapon are not canal they are Mighty through GOD not politicians.

Jesus In his days was Democratically Elected to die. So please I did not say don't vote but I say don't get in the business of supporting one man with your position as a Pastor. We should be neutral in the case of King making God makes the King so we Go to God.

I hope I can get other Pharisees to agree with me (pls smile). smiley
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by donnie(m): 4:40pm On Mar 27, 2007
I think we should get involvd in the politics of our country. Jesus said to go into the world and teach all nations. We are to teach them what is right and intruct them on the right way of governance. We are to show them how to live.

In the last national youth conference in lagos, Pator Chris did not mince words as he reprimanded the polititians where the need arose and praised those who had contributed to the development of society. I tell you God has given us a voice and dominion in this Nation and it is not for nothing. it is for establishing his kingdom here on earth; His ways of doing things.

In this coming elections, we will do our best to vote out those whom we percieve have the intention of ruining this country and of course by the Spirit make those that should be there to be there. We have prayed that for those who have the intention of manipulating the election to suit their wicked intentions, even their very breath will be against them. We have prayed, it is now time for action.

In God ways, it is the prophet that appoints who the king should be and not vise versa.

We have not come this far to be quiet!
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by Backslider(m): 5:03pm On Mar 27, 2007
@Donnie,

In God ways, it the prophet that appoints who the king should be and not vise versa.

You have erred there. The Prophet is an instrument in the hand of God to select a God King. Pastor should handsoff Politics.

Yes we are to spread the Word but not political word. It is the Holiness of God the Church should be preaching We should be living a Holy life and preaching in our own way.

If a man is to die now he leaves a good inheritance for his kid(s).

WHEN JESUS WAS ABOUT TO BE TAKEN UP HE DID GIVE A COMMANDENT THAT WE SHOULD PREACH THE GOSPEL.

THE INHERITANCE OF THE CHRISTIAN IS WHAT THEN? THE GOSPEL OF THE FREEDOM FROM SIN. WE HAVE NO BUSINESS IN POLITICS AS CHRISTIANS. WE NEED TO PRAY FOR A GOOD LEADER, PERIOD.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by Christino(m): 7:37pm On Mar 27, 2007
I'm sure the pastors didn't invite them, it's just that politicians are so desperate, they are targetting popular pastors with large congregations. They'll soon visit TB Joshua and Kumuyi grin

Pastors will only err when they declare publicly who they intend to vote for. Make no mistake, 80% of their followers will follow their lead!

I understand Chris Oyakhilome has declared NO TO OKOTIE! That's also unfair.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by Nobody: 7:49pm On Mar 27, 2007
Backslider:

@ donnie

Wrong! God's holy men were annointed as kings of Isreal in the old testament!
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by 9ja4eva: 8:03pm On Mar 27, 2007
Buhari visit Bishop Oyedepo?Well if its for votes hes lost cos Bishop wld go as directed by God.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by Jaybaba(m): 8:27pm On Mar 27, 2007
Staying politically neutral is for civil servants.
The scripture does not ask us to be onlookers at the happenings in our time.
Neither does it ask us to be actively involved.

It is a thing of choice and conviction. However, do not compromise your stand in whatever you do.

Now on the issue of Pastors as political godfathers, I feel, it is the politicians who are going to the pastors to get prayers and support. They are using it to demonstrate their love or acceptance of religious leaders and etc.
Abiola went to Idahosa then. In the US it happens a lot. In the US , the president is sometimes sworn in by a preacher.

So, I beg us to speak the matters very clearly without mincing or giving different meanings to situations.
Christians have a right to vote and I feel we should vote as our conscience leads us.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by 9ja4eva: 8:40pm On Mar 27, 2007
Yeah we should vote as our conscience leads us truly.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by deejay1(m): 9:27pm On Mar 27, 2007
laughing presidential candidate goin 2 visit the pastor(s). hell no it doesnt work like that does it? and some1 saying christain should not be involve him/her self into politics ( weeree ni ee) why haven't our people sit down and distiguish between religion and christainity? common do u wanna live under my law and rules? hell yea if you a christain and you are unterested in politics. common you gatta to go 4 it coz if you don't you will have yourself to blame
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by 9ja4eva: 9:43pm On Mar 27, 2007
Dts wat most of dem do oh to seek votes.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by bameyi(m): 12:14am On Mar 28, 2007
the pastors did not go to the politicians, the politicians went to the pastor, and secondly we can not leave our life and the affairs of our country to the hands of people who do not have the fear of God, what will happen the same crab we are in today will happen. the pastor will only be wrong if he openly endorse the politician this will influence their voting ability right, the pastor is only to lead us to heaven, but it is our responsibility as Christian to vote for a God fearing leader. my 2 cent
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by Ronke2811(f): 10:39am On Mar 28, 2007
Christino:

I'm sure the pastors didn't invite them, it's just that politicians are so desperate, they are targetting popular pastors with large congregations. They'll soon visit TB Joshua and Kumuyi grin

Pastors will only err when they declare publicly who they intend to vote for. Make no mistake, 80% of their followers will follow their lead!

I understand Chris Oyakhilome has declared NO TO OKOTIE! That's also unfair.

@ Christino
i dont know where you got this information about pastor chris oyakhilome declring NO TO OKOTIE.
may God forgive you.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by Bolarge(m): 10:47am On Mar 28, 2007
Ronke 2811:

i don't know where you got this information about pastor chris oyakhilome declring NO TO OKOTIE.
@least we know they haven't been best of friends of recent. wink
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by chidichris(m): 11:40am On Mar 28, 2007
Backslider, is this a personal opinion or do u have any refference to the bible?
if the christians must affect the leadership of the country, how will that be done? by avoiding the politicians?
among the appostles, there came peter who was choosen to lead them.
please if you wouldn't mind, what do u mean by pure christains? and let me know the qualifications for this class.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by emmanas(m): 11:53am On Mar 28, 2007
my pple dont 4get dt everyone God wen in one problem or the other. this d there own time of problem they 2 luk 4 one pastor or two 4 prayers smiley
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by emmanas(m): 11:57am On Mar 28, 2007
my people don't forget dt everyone runs to God when in one problem or the other. this time is there own time of problem they 2 luk 4 one pastor or two 4 prayers
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by Blow(m): 1:51pm On Mar 28, 2007
if you are contesting election,
Every group of people is important,
So there's no big deal about politician visiting pastors,
Pastors are leaders of christian groups,

Christian in politics would be wrong
only if they get there hands messed up
in dirty political intrigues like rigging, empty promises etc,
Except that, Christians can participate in politics, to serve God
and the citizenry of their beloved countries
At least it's not sin to take secular jobs, like other "worldly people"
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by 9ja4eva: 7:08pm On Mar 28, 2007
Well i wish dem well in their pursuit anyway.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by shinystar(m): 9:21pm On Mar 28, 2007
But is it right for pastors to endorse candidates? Won't that run contrary to their position as fathers to all? Can their endorsement really influence the voting pattern? These are issues I think we should react to.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by 9ja4eva: 9:35pm On Mar 28, 2007
I dont know of any pastor doing dt.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by georgies(m): 2:09pm On Mar 30, 2007
donnie i dont need a prophet to tell me that you are a member of Believers loveworld.Let it out brother,the youth conference has really transformed and changed oue mentality.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by shinystar(m): 2:36pm On Mar 30, 2007
It makes me laugh to think or say there are no pastors endorsing candidates. Why are politicians fighting over themselves to curry their favour?

The truth is they do but won't make it open. To be frank, I know many leading pastors and the candidates they are rooting for.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by donnie(m): 1:58pm On Mar 31, 2007
@Backslider,

You are saying it is God who used the Prophet to appoint a ruler because you saw it in your bible; you were not there when God spoke to the man. If you were alive then you could have been against it. What makes you think God isn't still speaking.

In the days of Arch Bishop Idahosa He would ask a governorship aspirant in Edo state to kneel down before him in front of a camera then laying his hands on the man, he would pronounce him winner saying, 'You have won in Jesus name!' Every other contender will know its over, as papa has spoken. And so shall it be.

Talk about dominionsmiley
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by 9ja4eva: 8:09am On Apr 01, 2007
shinystar:

It makes me laugh to think or say there are no pastors endorsing candidates. Why are politicians fighting over themselves to curry their favour?

The truth is they do but won't make it open. To be frank, I know many leading pastors and the candidates they are rooting for.

Would u be kind enuf to share?
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by Ndipe(m): 10:10am On Apr 01, 2007
Presidential candidates of the islamic faith are seeking out the advice of pastors in Naija, that tells you what? Would candidates, affiliated with Christianity seek the services of imams? I dont know, it may or may not happen, but this move, only reinforces the desperation and desires some people harbor for power.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by 9ja4eva: 8:26am On Apr 02, 2007
Yes dts true.Obasanjo did same too.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by MAYORIN1(m): 1:22pm On Apr 02, 2007
Religion Leaders as God fathers - No I disagree on the contrary Kingmakers

This is just an indication of what is to come, we are gradually returning to the time of Sameul, ( who is the sole kingmaker of Israel) I see that happening sooooon
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by osegwu(m): 1:54pm On Apr 02, 2007
They are only inviting them for hot prayer sessions

so that God can come in and give us a real leader

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rivers Woos Militants With 1 Million Naira Each / N58bn Fraud: How Otunba Gbenga Daniel Looted Ogun State –efcc / The State Of Secondary School Education In Nigeria. (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.