Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,275 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:44 AM

Igboland And Yorubaland - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igboland And Yorubaland (5462 Views)

A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland / Fredrick Obateru Akinruntan: I Am The Leader Of All Obas In Yorubaland / "I Am The Igwe And Obi Of Yorubaland" - Abdulrasheed Akanbi, The Oluwo Of Iwo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igboland And Yorubaland by selemempe: 3:30am On Jul 01, 2018
If the European colonialists were humanists, they would have created African countries strictly according to tribes.

Igboland Republic and yorubaland Republic would have been like this

We would have been good neighbours and more developed without the backward north

Oh what might have been embarassed

5 Likes

Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by ALCOHOLKILLS(m): 5:13am On Jul 01, 2018
which good neighbors, darkness and light have no business in common
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by OlaoChi: 9:26pm On Jul 02, 2018
ALCOHOLKILLS:
which good neighbors, darkness and light have no business in common
you are part of the problem

2 Likes

Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by fero007: 3:46pm On Jul 09, 2018
U put tsekiri land under Yoruba map?
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by OlaoChi: 4:00pm On Jul 09, 2018
fero007:
. Do itsekiri not speak Yoruba Language?
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by fero007: 5:11pm On Jul 09, 2018
OlaoChi:
. Do itsekiri not speak Yoruba Language?

listen to omawumi - megbele, n tell me if it sounds like Yoruba, or if a Yoruba can understand the language.

yorubas dont eat starch n banga/ohwo, or ukodo like itsekiris

itsekiris dress very different from Yoruba

N yorubas dont answer names like uduaghan, okorodudu, ugboroke, origho

1 Like

Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by OlaoChi: 11:24pm On Jul 09, 2018
fero007:

listen to omawumi - megbele, n tell me if it sounds like Yoruba, or if a Yoruba can understand the language.

. Yes I can understand a little.
Itsekiri is a Yoruba dialect similar to Ìjẹ̀bú and ilaje dialects

Yorubas eat different things and dress differently. Ekiti and Ondo eat Pounded Yam while Oyo and Ẹ̀gbá eat Àmàlà

Uduaghan, Okorodudu are not itsekiri names
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by scholes0(m): 3:09am On Jul 10, 2018
fero007:

If ikaland is added as Igboland, then adding itsekiri territory with “Yorubaland” is very much in order.
Besides, check well, the itsekiri territory has a lighter shade which signifies that it is affiliated to but is not the same as Yorubaland.

1 Like

Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by fero007: 3:16pm On Jul 10, 2018
OlaoChi:
. Yes I can understand a little.
Itsekiri is a Yoruba dialect similar to Ìjẹ̀bú and ilaje dialects

Yorubas eat different things and dress differently. Ekiti and Ondo eat Pounded Yam while Oyo and Ẹ̀gbá eat Àmàlà

Uduaghan, Okorodudu are not itsekiri names

for you to say uduaghan, okorodudu, is not itsekiri means you dont know itsekiri or delta for that matter.

Besides Itsekiri history states there are from Bini. An itsekiri person will never call self Yoruba, and just like Yoruba understand itsekiri little, dats how urhobo understand itsekiri little, itsekiri even dress like urhobo/ijaw, and eat ur urhobo food, but dat doesnt make them urhobo
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by fero007: 3:29pm On Jul 10, 2018
scholes0:

If ikaland is added as Igboland, then adding itsekiri territory with “Yorubaland” is very much in order.
Besides, check well, the itsekiri territory has a lighter shade which signifies that it is affiliated to but is not the same as Yorubaland.

Ikaland? as in Agbor? OK! I dont want an argument here. Just go to agbor, ask agbor people if there are Igbo, they will "NO" and they will explain their history 4 you. you can't know it more than them

Same, go to itsekiri land, and them about their culture, you can't know it more than them
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by OlaoChi: 8:25pm On Jul 10, 2018
fero007:

for you to say uduaghan, okorodudu, is not itsekiri means you dont know itsekiri or delta for that matter.

Besides Itsekiri history states there are from Bini. An itsekiri person will never call self Yoruba, and just like Yoruba understand itsekiri little, dats how urhobo understand itsekiri little, itsekiri even dress like urhobo/ijaw, and eat ur urhobo food, but dat doesnt make them urhobo

I maintain those aren't itsekiri names.. You can break them down etymologically and prove how they are itsekiri names... Still doesn't change the fact that itsekiri is a Yoruba dialect

Only the royal family are from Bini.. And even the royal family of bini are from yorubaland

The general common people of itsekiriland are majorly from Ilaje and Ijebu areas
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by fero007: 8:31pm On Jul 10, 2018
OlaoChi:

I maintain those aren't itsekiri names.. You can break them down etymologically and prove how they are itsekiri names... Still doesn't change the fact that itsekiri is a Yoruba dialect

Only the royal family are from Bini.. And even the royal family of bini are from yorubaland

The general common people of itsekiriland are majorly from Ilaje and Ijebu areas

Uduaghan!, former delta state governor, pure itsekiri man.

Bini royal family from Yoruba? wow, different remixes o

Abeg, make sure you talk to people from these tribes to have better knowledge
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by fero007: 8:32pm On Jul 10, 2018
OlaoChi:

Itsekiri, dialect of Yoruba?

Abeg, make sure you talk to people from these tribes, and if possible stay around them to have better knowledge
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by OlaoChi: 8:30am On Jul 11, 2018
fero007:

Itsekiri, dialect of Yoruba?

Abeg, make sure you talk to people from these tribes, and if possible stay around them to have better knowledge
I'm not talking about his identity. It's the name.. It doesn't sound itsekiri that's why I ask you for the etymology

You obviously do not study much if you don't know Itsekiri is a Yoruba dialect and the bini royal family is from Ife
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by fero007: 9:33am On Jul 11, 2018
OlaoChi:
I'm not talking about his identity. It's the name.. It doesn't sound itsekiri that's why I ask you for the etymology

You obviously do not study much if you don't know Itsekiri is a Yoruba dialect and the bini royal family is from Ife

I once lived in Warri for 15 years, in ajamimogha, I studied itsekiri people first hand. Like I said you can't know their culture better than them, Yoruba/itsekiri is like Bini/esan/afemai. Slight relationship, yes, but dat doesn't make them same tribe or esan a dialect of Bini(mind you the name edo is name of the state nt the name of a particular ethnic group)
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by OlaoChi: 11:29am On Jul 11, 2018
fero007:

I once lived in Warri for 15 years, in ajamimogha, I studied itsekiri people first hand. Like I said you can't know their culture better than them, Yoruba/itsekiri is like Bini/esan/afemai. Slight relationship, yes, but dat doesn't make them same tribe or esan a dialect of Bini(mind you the name edo is name of the state nt the name of a particular ethnic group)
If you lived in Warri then maybe you need to live in Ondo state too
So you can see the cultural similarities between Itsekiri and the coastal people of Ondo state
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by fero007: 1:50pm On Jul 12, 2018
OlaoChi:
So you can see the cultural similarities between Itsekiri and the coastal people of Ondo state

I schooled in FUTA, i know there are different tribes in coastal ondo [ijaw n Yoruba(ilaje)]. If you mean the similarities between Ilaje and Itsekiri, then refer to what I said about Bini/Esan/Etsako
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by fero007: 1:51pm On Jul 12, 2018
OlaoChi:

I schooled in FUTA, i know there are different tribes in coastal ondo [ijaw n Yoruba(ilaje)]. If you mean the similarities between Ilaje and Itsekiri, then refer to what I said about Bini/Esan/Etsako
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by Afflalo(m): 3:12pm On Jul 12, 2018
itsekiri people are pure eastern Yorubas

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by Sinistami(m): 5:40pm On Jul 12, 2018
Sometimes I wonder if people actually think they are countries with only one Culture and or maybe they think Nigeria is the only country with different ethnic group heck even Japan China or India and even the almighty US don't have only one culture.
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by selemempe: 7:25pm On Jul 12, 2018
Sinistami:
Sometimes I wonder if people actually think they are countries with only one Culture and or maybe they think Nigeria is the only country with different ethnic group heck even Japan China or India and even the almighty US don't have only one culture.
japan have one tribe and similar culture...england and many european countries too...even arabs

As for u.s..they may have different tribes but they have one western culture defined by christianity and freedom

Nigeria is another matter altogether...the fulani ppl are arabic while the igbo ppl are more pro western. The north has sharia while the south is free..
We just dont mix at all. Only our skin color makes us one
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by fero007: 9:06pm On Jul 12, 2018
Afflalo:
itsekiri people are pure eastern Yorubas

so Warri is partly Yoruba?
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by YourNemesis: 9:34pm On Jul 12, 2018
OlaoChi:

They are Itsekiri names though..

Aghan in Itsekiri is Awan (Awon) in Yoruba.
Dudu is black in yoruboid. Okoro in Okorodudu is the Okoro of Edoid origin, so that probably came via their Benin or Urhobo neighbours, I think the binis say it means Prince. So ...... Dark prince or something.
Udu can mean anything.

Not everything will come out direct or look very obviously the same with MSY (Modern standar Yoruba)
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by YourNemesis: 9:35pm On Jul 12, 2018
fero007:

so Warri is partly Yoruba?

Exactly.

Technically speaking, yeah.
Politically speaking, everyone is just kinda maintaining their own lanes. cheesy No one wants to shake the tables.
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by YourNemesis: 9:52pm On Jul 12, 2018
fero007:

what has eating starch or banga got to do with their basic origin lol

As an example, Cassava where they get the starch from isn't even from West Africa, but rather Brazil. So are you saying that before the Portuguese brought Tapioca to our shores, Itsekiris were identity-less?
Yorubas don't answer Uduaghan or Origho same way Ekitis don't answer Odumosu or Shonnaike, and same way Oyos don't answer Adanikin. Clans clans clans.
But you can see both an Itsekiri and a Yoruba bearing Olushola Ikuesan or Toju Erejuwa.
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by OlaoChi: 10:41pm On Jul 12, 2018
YourNemesis:

They are Itsekiri names though..

Aghan in Itsekiri is Awan (Awon) in Yoruba.
Dudu is black in yoruboid. Okoro in Okorodudu is the Okoro of Edoid origin, so that probably came via their Benin or Urhobo neighbours, I think the binis say it means Prince. So ...... Dark prince or something.
Udu can mean anything.

Not everything will come out direct or look very obviously the same with MSY (Modern standar Yoruba)

I see. Thanks
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by fero007: 11:29pm On Jul 12, 2018
YourNemesis:

what has eating starch or banga got to do with their basic origin lol

As an example, Cassava where they get the starch from isn't even from West Africa, but rather Brazil. So are you saying that before the Portuguese brought Tapioca to our shores, Itsekiris were identity-less?
Yorubas don't answer Uduaghan or Origho same way Ekitis don't answer Odumosu or Shonnaike, and same way Oyos don't answer Adanikin. Clans clans clans.
But you can see both an Itsekiri and a Yoruba bearing Olushola Ikuesan or Toju Erejuwa.

no I just put starch n banga to show they have more similarities with Niger deltans too. If you say Itsekiri is Yoruba, will you then say isoko are urhobo, or efik are Ibibio or Fulani are Hausa.

I still maintain that you talk the Itsekiri people, you can't their culture more than them
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by scholes0(m): 3:02am On Jul 13, 2018
fero007:

no I just put starch n banga to show they have more similarities with Niger deltans too. If you say Itsekiri is Yoruba, will you then say isoko are urhobo, or efik are Ibibio or Fulani are Hausa.

I still maintain that you talk the Itsekiri people, you can't their culture more than them

They are not Yoruba Yoruba like that, but they are definitely cousins.

1 Like

Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by OlaoChi: 9:01am On Jul 13, 2018
scholes0:

What does Yoruba Yoruba mean? Is there a standard?
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by fero007: 9:53am On Jul 13, 2018
scholes0:

that doesn't mean their land is part of Yoruba land
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by Sinistami(m): 10:20am On Jul 13, 2018
selemempe:
japan have one tribe and similar culture...england and many european countries too...even arabs

As for u.s..they may have different tribes but they have one western culture defined by christianity and freedom

Nigeria is another matter altogether...the fulani ppl are arabic while the igbo ppl are more pro western. The north has sharia while the south is free..
We just dont mix at all. Only our skin color makes us one

Japanese are one tribe ke You have the Ainu the Ryukyukan people the Nyvik the Yamato people the Maori the Rock people although the Maori is the most influential England used to have different cultures and languages before one language English which is actually a creole of different languages displaced the rest and America doesn't have one religion although Christianity is prominent the people of the southern United States don't have same culture with the north although their are lots of similarities.
Re: Igboland And Yorubaland by selemempe: 2:38pm On Jul 13, 2018
Sinistami:

Japanese are one tribe ke You have the Ainu the Ryukyukan people the Nyvik the Yamato people the Maori the Rock people although the Maori is the most influential England used to have different cultures and languages before one language English which is actually a creole of different languages displaced the rest and America doesn't have one religion although Christianity is prominent the people of the southern United States don't have same culture with the north although their are lots of similarities.
wat u just said is like saying that because we have ngwa igbo..wawa igbo...abakaliki igbo...anioma igbo...ikwere igbo etc that igbo is not one tribe.

All languages are creols. That is why 'what' means kini in Yoruba and gini in igbo

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Does The Ooni Of Ife Make Use Of The Traditional Edo Eben Dancing Sword / Olobor Festival In Ogwashi-ukwu, Delta State / What Is The Meaning Of "August Meeting".

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.