Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,221 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:59 AM

The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom (44195 Views)

Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife / Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by gregyboy(m): 10:32pm On Jul 13, 2018
davidnazee:

No bro I’m using logic in my reasoning.
Eze just like Oni means ruler. Oni is ruler for Yoruba and Eze is ruler for Igbo.
As for the name Chima, it could be his name was Ehima corrupted to Chima or he adopted an Igbo name to gain acceptance amongst the new tribe he settled with.
There’s no tribalism here since we all agree he was first Edo before migrating.

Even the igbos acknowledged he migrated to their lands from Benin. But there’s no record about his original background from the igbos because they don’t know. They only know from the time he settled in Igbo lands.
So logically he is Edo and changed his name to Chima.

I agree this could also pass....

But u doubting my origins for my claims is a typical example of a Nigerian i hpoe not to be
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 6:19am On Jul 14, 2018
gregyboy:

I agree this could also pass....

But u doubting my origins for my claims is a typical example of a Nigerian i hpoe not to be

Bro I'm not doubting your claims.. Just saying its more logical to accept the version of the place where Chima came out from than that of where he migrated to.. The Igbos knowledge of Chima only starts from when he came to their lands, they know nothing about him before that..
So I guess it is more logical to say Chima was 100% Edo and changed his name to Igbo to gain acceptance amongst the people he settled with.

There's nothing typical here, it's just using logic to answer questions where there is no records..
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by BabaRamota1980: 12:32am On Jul 16, 2018
davidnazee:

Simple logic would be that Eze Chima was the new name adopted by Edo man that fled Benin and founded Onitsha just like Ekhaladeran name was changed to oduduwa when he settled in Ife.

You brought your witchery here. Welcome o!

The hoax has overtaken your spirit. Have you seen the Bini flag in commemoration of your sacrifice?
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 2:51am On Jul 16, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

You brought your witchery here. Welcome o!

The hoax has overtaken your spirit. Have you seen the Bini flag in commemoration of your sacrifice?

So you are busy trolling anything Edo. If u like Edo that much and want to become Edo just say so. We can give u citizenship.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by BabaRamota1980: 5:57am On Jul 17, 2018
davidnazee:

So you are busy trolling anything Edo. If u like Edo that much and want to become Edo just say so. We can give u citizenship.

We gave you civilization. You want make i prove am with picture? grin

I go open your Edo yansh for public if you no keep kwayet. grin
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 4:56pm On Jul 17, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

We gave you civilization. You want make i prove am with picture? grin

I go open your Edo yansh for public if you no keep kwayet. grin

Abeg can you spot a very telling difference in these 2 pictures? They are pictures of Great Oba of Benin and Ooni of Ife visits to Olu of itsekiris. Who was recognized as a greater King between the Oba of Benin and Ooni of Ife?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by BabaRamota1980: 4:26am On Jul 18, 2018
davidnazee:

Abeg can you spot a very telling difference in these 2 pictures? They are pictures of Great Oba of Benin and Ooni of Ife visits to Olu of itsekiris. Who was recognized as a greater King between the Oba of Benin and Ooni of Ife?

How did you measure greater in the picture? grin

Tell me your idea of greater from this picture. When i say you descend from the dimwit Owodo you will get upset but you are exhibiting genes that only Owodo would display.

Show me the dimensions of greater in the picture. grin
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by gregyboy(m): 8:12am On Jul 18, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

How did you measure greater in the picture? grin

Tell me your idea of greater from this picture. When i say you descend from the dimwit Owodo you will get upset but you are exhibiting genes that only Owodo would display.

Show me the dimensions of greater in the picture. grin

Why do u blind ur eyes with tribalism u cant see anymore
The Benin says “because u dont want to see you enemies you blind your eyes which eyes would you use to see your friends”

See u dont wanna see here is the difference
Oba of benin is sitting in a stool bigger than the itsekere king in size this is purely evidence of who is superior while the onni his sitting at the stool of a chief or subject and far distanced from the oba......in.past times itsekeres where yorubas but benin came and rule them this is how benin ruled down to ife....

Osagangan is an edo name and he ruled in ife oduduwa is an edo name same as ogun ....

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by Nobody: 8:47am On Jul 18, 2018
gregyboy:

The Benin says “because u dont want to see you enemies you blind your eyes which eyes would you use to see your friends”

Oba of benin is sitting in a stool bigger than the itsekere king in size this is purely evidence of who is superior while the onni his sitting at the stool of a chief or subject and far distanced from the oba......in.past times itsekeres where yorubas but benin came and rule them this is how benin ruled down to ife....

Osagangan is an edo name and he ruled in ife oduduwa is an edo name same as ogun ....
Itsikeri were never yoruba. It is an other yoruba lie which claims they are yoruba. Besides the term yoruba is vague and is not backed by history.

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 9:40am On Jul 18, 2018
gregyboy:

History of itsekiris origin says that itsekiris were originally Edos who migrated to Yoruba areas of ilaje.. Over the years offsprings of those migrants decided to come back home which they eventually did and settled in the present locations.
So you cannot call them Yorubas in the past.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by gregyboy(m): 12:44pm On Jul 18, 2018
davidnazee:

History of itsekiris origin says that itsekiris were originally Edos who migrated to Yoruba areas of ilaje.. Over the years offsprings of those migrants decided to come back home which they eventually did and settled in the present locations.

Stop been dogmatic and try reasoning out of prejudice and false information ....the truth is that
The original edos werent much in pre history times and they didnt spread thier languages to build up populations like the igbos ,yorubas and hausas....even uptill date benins dont speak thier language offshores or to strangers......
Benins in pre colonial times migrated in few to established places like ,lagos,warri,itsekere etc they only occpied thier royal stool and they ruled the indigenous people there ...just the same way oduduwa migrated and ruled ife is the same way benin migrated to itsekeri and ruled them ....this is why the names didnt sound like an edo name compare to places in edo like eshan,uromi you could read a meaning to this names....
Itsekiris i belueve were yorubas who got influenced by edos ....
For god sake did you know how mny yorubas slaves they took and they are still way more than the entire edos ...they are way more more than us itsekiris is a lost tribe of the yorubas,aniomas are the lost tribe of igbos as a matter of fact benin had records which note they were different from the indigenous people they ruled ...sime of this indigenous people where used by sacrifice by the edos.... Britain influenced nigerians but we aint British...
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by BabaRamota1980: 4:31am On Jul 19, 2018
davidnazee:

gregyboy:

Stop been dogmatic and try reasoning out of prejudice and false information ....the truth is that
The original edos werent much in pre history times and they didnt spread thier languages to build up populations like the igbos ,yorubas and hausas....even uptill date benins dont speak thier language offshores or to strangers......
Benins in pre colonial times migrated in few to established places like ,lagos,warri,itsekere etc they only occpied thier royal stool and they ruled the indigenous people there ...just the same way oduduwa migrated and ruled ife is the same way benin migrated to itsekeri and ruled them ....this is why the names didnt sound like an edo name compare to places in edo like eshan,uromi you could read a meaning to this names....
For god sake did you know how mny yorubas slaves they took and they are still way more than the entire edos ...they are way more more than us itsekiris is a lost tribe of the yorubas,aniomas are the lost tribe of igbos as a matter of fact benin had records which note they were different from the indigenous people they ruled ...sime of this indigenous people where used by sacrifice by the edos.... Britain influenced nigerians but we aint British...

Witchery boys.
Sons of dimwit Owodo. grin

Edo is the errand boy, slave to Yoruba dynasty and Bini Kingdom.

In old times your fathers were not allow clothing, to distinguish their positions as slaves, sacrificial stock to use in worshipping Omo N'Oba ancestors in Ife.

Today, you are allowed clothing...but you must continue in your fore fathers roles and uphold the greatness of Oranmiyan descendants.

Here is davidnazee on internet:

Oba no dey go transfer
Oba teeth must not show in public
Oba no dey blink eye for public
Oba no dey touch feet for ground...

grin grin grin grin.
Omo ekalderan. cheesy

Would you like to see your ancestors on duty to Oba?

Name anything you want, we have it deposited and locked down in archive, indexed by ethnic group. grin

If you mess up i go call archive on phone and request your grand fathers serving their Royal Lord.

cheesy
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by Born2Breed(f): 6:34am On Jul 19, 2018
davidnazee:

Lolz. This picture tells it all.

Let the moronic descendants of slaves keeps arguing. We all know who Oduduwa was, those who have two oduduwas( mecca and sky) should keep dancing in Ignorance.

They would have become extinct by now if the Great Oba of Benin did not intervene by warning Ogedengbe to halt the distraction of oyo and co.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by BabaRamota1980: 12:07pm On Jul 19, 2018
Born2Breed:

Lolz. This picture tells it all.

Let the moronic descendants of slaves keeps arguing. We all know who Oduduwa was, those who have two oduduwas( mecca and sky) should keep dancing in Ignorance.

They would have become extinct by now if the Great Oba of Benin did not intervene by warning Ogedengbe to halt the distraction of oyo and co.

I told you all to keep kwayet. grin

Let me hear feem from you i have a more damning revelation to upload.

See your ancestors how they serve son of Oranmiyan. grin cheesy grin cheesy

2 Shares

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by BabaRamota1980: 12:39pm On Jul 19, 2018
Sons of Ogiso Owodo

Bloody ekladerhans! grin

You see difference between regal Oba, his noble Bini Chiefs and the Edo slaves that serve the court?

This is how descendants of Oranmiyan treated your ancestors. There are images of Edo men decapitated for slaughter to Oba ancestors in Ife. The Bini expedition contained photographs as well...the gory that Capt Phillip saw at entrance to Bini. Edo men slaughtered to appease god of war and douse the white man anger from invading Bini. It did not work! Blood everywhere....you want see your fore fathers heads in the dust? grin grin

Let me know, we got them.

I love white people and their record keeping.

Oba no dey go transfer
Oba must not walk in public
Oba must not shake hands
Oba must not blink in public...

grin grin grin
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by Born2Breed(f): 2:02pm On Jul 19, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

Go play with your peers. Run along now.

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 5:59pm On Jul 19, 2018
BabaRamota1980:
Sons of Ogiso Owodo

Bloody ekladerhans! grin

You see difference between regal Oba, his noble Bini Chiefs and the Edo slaves that serve the court?

This is how descendants of Oranmiyan treated your ancestors. There are images of Edo men decapitated for slaughter to Oba ancestors in Ife. The Bini expedition contained photographs as well...the gory that Capt Phillip saw at entrance to Bini. Edo men slaughtered to appease god of war and douse the white man anger from invading Bini. It did not work! Blood everywhere....you want see your fore fathers heads in the dust? grin grin

Let me know, we got them.

I love white people and their record keeping.

Oba no dey go transfer
Oba must not walk in public
Oba must not shake hands

grin grin grin

Idiot please post the pictures.. pictures of human sacrifice done during the Benin/British war.. we need to see that because we argue that it’s just the white mans propaganda and excuse to invade Benin.
If you cannot post it then all Africans will agree you Yorubas are indeed sellouts and the white mans slaves, and backstabbers who betrayed Africa to the white man.

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 7:13pm On Jul 19, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

See mugu. You post picture of several people besides the Oba of Benin with 2 unclad. Those 2 are slaves, Yoruba slaves captured and made to serve in the palace.

The difference between Edo and Yoruba is that while Edo use their own achievements and history to promote and argue about their greatness, Yorubas use Edo achievements as Yoruba own achievements. Don’t you guys have anything from your land worth promoting?? You can’t even praise or uplift your Ooni or Alaffin because they didn’t achieve anything for you. Your can’t promote your wars or conquest because your didn’t fight or conquer anybody. Cities sef una no found any, monuments una no get, renowned African heroes nothing for una.
Is that why you are now desperate to claim Edo?

3 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by BabaRamota1980: 2:06pm On Jul 20, 2018
Ekladerhan, you just spew nonsense most times without any head or tail.

Which of your achievements do we use in Yorubaland, your Italian legend or your witchcraft, or your 800yr old otumokpo? grin

So you say you colonized Yorubaland but you also claim you had relationship with whiteman ahead of anyone else in Nigeria. So how did Yoruba under you, supposedly, sell out Nigeria to white man. What were you, their supposed overlords looking at when this happened?

Your witchery is truly hereditary! This freak talk is where you derived that bllshyyte about your Oba no dey go transfer nonsense. You open mouth becaus you have a mouth, simple!

I cant give all pictures at a go like that. We keep some in reserve for when they are truuuully needed to show to the world. grin

Your Oba even commemorated a flag to portray human sacrifice of Edos. Shyyte! What can anyone else tell you beside what your Oba already say with this red flag and a Edo slave beheaded with a sword?

Read what your white partners said as well. grin

Hey, son of Owodo, think before you type next time.

Oba no dey go transfer
Oba no dey walk on ground

grin grin

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by BabaRamota1980: 2:08pm On Jul 20, 2018
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 3:18pm On Jul 20, 2018
BabaRamota1980:
Ekladerhan, you just spew nonsense most times without any head or tail.

Which of your achievements do we use in Yorubaland, your Italian legend or your witchcraft, or your 800yr old otumokpo? grin

So you say you colonized Yorubaland but you also claim you had relationship with whiteman ahead of anyone else in Nigeria. So how did Yoruba under you, supposedly, sell out Nigeria to white man. What were you, their supposed overlords looking at when this happened?

Your witchery is truly hereditary! This freak talk is where you derived that bllshyyte about your Oba no dey go transfer nonsense. You open mouth becaus you have a mouth, simple!

I cant give all pictures at a go like that. We keep some in reserve for when they are truuuully needed to show to the world. grin

Your Oba even commemorated a flag to portray human sacrifice of Edos. Shyyte! What can anyone else tell you beside what your Oba already say with this red flag and a Edo slave beheaded with a sword?

Read what your white partners said as well. grin

Hey, son of Owodo, think before you type next time.

Oba no dey go transfer
Oba no dey walk on ground

grin grin

Mugu.. I said post pictures not lies written by your white masters and given to their Yoruba slaves to spread..
Good thing you called them our white "partners" but to you they are your white Masters..

Look around your Yoruba states.. In this present era your people are still indulging in human sacrifice.. When others (Edos, Igbos, Hausas/Fulanis and other tribes) are working hard to earn a living, your useless and lazy yoruba brethrens are sacrificing women and children to make money..
I sorry for una..

FYI: My Oba, Oba of Benin is greater then your Ooni of Ife and all Yoruba Obas..
also our 800years otumokpo is stronger than your dubious Ifa that is drunk on hennesy..

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by BabaRamota1980: 4:41pm On Jul 20, 2018
davidnazee:

Mugu.. I said post pictures not lies written by your white masters and given to their Yoruba slaves to spread..
Good thing you called them our white "partners" but to you they are your white Masters..

Look around your Yoruba states.. In this present era your people are still indulging in human sacrifice.. When others (Edos, Igbos, Hausas/Fulanis and other tribes) are working hard to earn a living, your useless and lazy yoruba brethrens are sacrificing women and children to make money..
I sorry for una..

FYI: My Oba, Oba of Benin is greater then your Ooni of Ife and all Yoruba Obas..
also our 800years otumokpo is stronger than your dubious Ifa that is drunk on hennesy..

No kidding... grin

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 20, 2018
gregyboy:

please try and stop posting, you are a real annoyance. You are the only person claiming to be Edo who keeps posting contradictory stuff, and contrary to what you think, you are not being smart at all. Try and stop going against every single Edo and stop accusing other Edo of being "tribalistic".
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jul 20, 2018
gregyboy:

please try and stop posting, you are a real annoyance. You are the only person claiming to be Edo who keeps posting contradictory stuff, and contrary to what you think, you are not being smart at all. Try and stop going against every single Edo and stop accusing other Edo of being "tribalistic". I don't know which purpose you are serving, but please just stop.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jul 20, 2018
@gregyboy, I have just finished reading what you wrote, I conclude that you are an Igbo pretending to be Edo. You have exactly the same beliefs as an ethnocentric Igbo. Please stop pretending to be Edo while trying to attack yoruba, be a man about it and declare yourself Igbo. Anyway, you have shown yourself to be a real bastard here. And one thing is sure: you don't have the interest of the Edo nor of history at heart. So stop being a beeetch calling himself Edo and pushing Igbo propaganda all in the name of "being logical" or "not being tribalistic". Your Igboness is obvious to all. What is also obvious is your ambition to see a weaker Edo people decided amongst your Igbo tribe and the yoruba or just devided so as to not pose a threat to Igbo imperial ambitions of swallowing Anioma and other Edo groups.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by OMANBALA1: 7:12pm On Jul 20, 2018
davidnazee:

No bro I’m using logic in my reasoning.
Eze just like Oni means ruler. Oni is ruler for Yoruba and Eze is ruler for Igbo.
As for the name Chima, it could be his name was Ehima corrupted to Chima or he adopted an Igbo name to gain acceptance amongst the new tribe he settled with.
There’s no tribalism here since we all agree he was first Edo before migrating.

Even the igbos acknowledged he migrated to their lands from Benin. But there’s no record about his original background from the igbos because they don’t know. They only know from the time he settled in Igbo lands.
So logically he is Edo and changed his name to Chima.

Lol... Did Onicha Ugbo, Onicha Olona and Onicha Ukwu also changed the names of their ancestors upon arrival to their current location in Delta state? The average black man is innately ignorant and ffoollish. By the way Onicha of Anambra is not the oldest Onicha town as there is Onicha Olona located in Delta state and their ancient names right from their foundation have always been Igbo including their deities...lol

The thing about lies is that when you tell one you have to make up another one to cover up the first one...lol
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by OMANBALA1: 7:27pm On Jul 20, 2018
Lol...I don't have problem with you bragging about your little chiefdom but don't cross your boundary in the name of your deluded expansion. Bini "kingdom" didn't grow past what is currently known as Bini city. Calling Onicha an extension of Bini kingdom is childish and delusional.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 7:33pm On Jul 20, 2018
OMANBALA1:

Lol... Did Onicha Ugbo, Onicha Olona and Onicha Ukwu also changed the names of their ancestors upon arrival to their current location in Delta state? The average black man is innately ignorant and ffoollish. By the way Onicha of Anambra is not the oldest Onicha town as there is Onicha Olona located in Delta state and their ancient names right from their foundation have always been Igbo including their deities...lol

The thing about lies is that when you tell one you have to make up another one to cover up the first one...lol

This is a foolish response from you. I’m talking about a person you are talking about towns to dispute my version of Chima.
If you know much about Eze Chima so educate us. Tell us who he is, where he was born, how he came about. Please don’t start from “he migrated from Benin”, we already know that. Tell us about him before his migration.

The problem with many Nigerians is that of pride. Even if it’s okay to be proud of ur tribe but don’t let the pride blind you for truth and simple logic.

I’m waiting for ur response on Chima.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jul 20, 2018
GarminTechnical:
Its an African Flag from the west sides of Africa.Allegedly brought from Britain after 1897.
This flag doesn't have any particular name and known as Flg of Benin empire
Yeah it's the flag of Wakanda, not Benin kingdom, punk.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 7:42pm On Jul 20, 2018
gregyboy:

This your analysis is very funny lol.
How can u call Anioma “lost tribe of igbos” when they are just some few kilometres away from eastern Igbo land? How are they lost when they can see each other?
Do you know history of itsekiris? How they came about? Please go read history of itsekiris you will find out they were never Yorubas. They migrated out of Edo to Yoruba areas of ilaje. Years later descendants of the migrants came back home bringing Yoruba language with them and settled in present itsekiri areas.
What do u mean by the original Edos?
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jul 20, 2018
davidnazee:

This your analysis is very funny lol.
How can u call Anioma “lost tribe of igbos” when they are just some few kilometres away from eastern Igbo land? How are they lost when they can see each other?
Do you know history of itsekiris? How they came about? Please go read history of itsekiris you will find out they were never Yorubas. They migrated out of Edo to Yoruba areas of ilaje. Years later descendants of the migrants came back home bringing Yoruba language with them and settled in present itsekiri areas.
What do u mean by the original Edos?
Bro, the language spoken by Itsikeri is not yoruba. It is most certainly much closer to the central Edo language than to oyo or Ife language. It is more like one of the variants of Edo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Outrage As Nigerians Perform Traditional Rituals Publicly In South Africa.Photos / The Official Ukwuani Thread: Ukwuani Bu Ani Eze / Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.