Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,809 members, 7,806,263 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:41 PM

The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom (44177 Views)

Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife / Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by OMANBALA1: 7:53pm On Jul 20, 2018
davidnazee:

This is a foolish response from you. I’m talking about a person you are talking about towns to dispute my version of Chima.
If you know much about Eze Chima so educate us. Tell us who he is, where he was born, how he came about. Please don’t start from “he migrated from Benin”, we already know that. Tell us about him before his migration.

The problem with many Nigerians is that of pride. Even if it’s okay to be proud of ur tribe but don’t let the pride blind you for truth and simple logic.

I’m waiting for ur response on Chima.

Keep quiet, Mr man! Bini people has no knowledge of Ezechima and this is a fact. What we know of Ezechima is that he arrived during a brutal war called AGHA IDUU NA OBA in Igbo folklore and settled in Anambra farmlands near Orimili Niger. Historians were not able to trace his ancestry to the Bini empire and the conclusion was that he lived with his subjects in what is known as current Edo state before a rift with the Oba of Bini. The culture of Onicha people were carefully studied by many historians including the Europeans who classified Uhrobo and Itshekiri as Edoid subgroup and concluded they were proper western Igbos with influence from Bini kingdom.

You can twist the Ezechima name all you want but the evidence is too staggering for you to tamper with. At no point did Onicha nor any Delta Igbo town ever spoke any edoid language....Thats the most painful truth you lot dont want to deal with.

You find it hard to swallow that your so called "almighty" Bini kingdom was after all a little village who dug a hole around herself for fear of invasion. Your kingdom will continue to shrink because the world has moved on.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by ghostfacekillar(m): 8:22pm On Jul 20, 2018
Don't mind him.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 8:54pm On Jul 20, 2018
OMANBALA1:

Keep quiet, Mr man! Bini people has no knowledge of Ezechima and this is a fact. What we know of Ezechima is that he arrived during a brutal war called AGHA IDUU NA OBA in Igbo folklore and settled in Anambra farmlands near Orimili Niger. Historians were not able to trace his ancestry to the Bini empire and the conclusion was that he lived with his subjects in what is known as current Edo state before a rift with the Oba of Bini. The culture of Onicha people were carefully studied by many historians including the Europeans who classified Uhrobo and Itshekiri as Edoid subgroup and concluded they were proper western Igbos with influence from Bini kingdom.

You can twist the Ezechima name all you want but the evidence is too staggering for you to tamper with. At no point did Onicha nor any Delta Igbo town ever spoke any edoid language....Thats the most painful truth you lot dont want to deal with.

You find it hard to swallow that your so called "almighty" Bini kingdom was after all a little village who dug a hole around herself for fear of invasion. Your kingdom will continue to shrink because the world has moved on.

Why are u blinded by jealousy?? Even early Europeans to West Africa attested to the fact that Great Benin kingdom encompassed everywhere from river Niger to Togo. So let’s not debate that.

Eze Chima is different from the War of Oba of Benin against the igbos.
Even you don’t know anything about Eze Chima so you have to accept my version.
The war of Agha Idu Na Oba was a campaign the Oba of Benin led against the Igbos. It was a brutal war, thousands of lives lost but in the end the Oba defeated the Igbos.
That’s why the Igbos are still angry till today, they cannot forget the might of a great king

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by gregyboy(m): 9:03pm On Jul 20, 2018
prolog2:
please try and stop posting, you are a real annoyance. You are the only person claiming to be Edo who keeps posting contradictory stuff, and contrary to what you think, you are not being smart at all. Try and stop going against every single Edo and stop accusing other Edo of being "tribalistic".

Hmmm those who study history blindly
Am a pure edo as ure both parebts are benins ...
I have travelled to few places in edo and i can spot an esan man from auchi ...

My logical thinking cant be hindered by my tribe nd my religion.... Never so if ure blaming me for my comment it shld be me ....
As the matter of fact other edos are tribalistic to benins so as benins to other edos ..
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by gregyboy(m): 9:10pm On Jul 20, 2018
davidnazee:

This your analysis is very funny lol.
How can u call Anioma “lost tribe of igbos” when they are just some few kilometres away from eastern Igbo land? How are they lost when they can see each other?
Do you know history of itsekiris? How they came about? Please go read history of itsekiris you will find out they were never Yorubas. They migrated out of Edo to Yoruba areas of ilaje. Years later descendants of the migrants came back home bringing Yoruba language with them and settled in present itsekiri areas.
What do u mean by the original Edos?

The original edos are in edo state ...

I want to ask you a question why did the itsekiris migrate to illaje nd migrated bxk to thier present location
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jul 20, 2018
gregyboy:

Hmmm those who study history blindly
Am a pure edo as ure both parebts are benins ...
I have travelled to few places in edo and i can spot an esan man from auchi ...

My logical thinking cant be hindered by my tribe nd my religion.... Never so if ure blaming me for my comment it shld be me ....
As the matter of fact other edos are tribalistic to benins so as benins to other edos ..
What you are doing is pointless, we all know you are Igbo. Even the way you talk betrays you. You know nothing about the Edo, crowl back to your Igbo identity and stop foolishly pretending to be Edo. Whatever you are selling, we are not buying, now get lost.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jul 20, 2018
gregyboy:

I want to ask you a question why did the itsekiris migrate to illaje nd migrated bxk to thier present location
And you came to that conclusion because, the "original Edo" were born in 1991 just like Edo-state? Igbo-man, shut the hell up!
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by gregyboy(m): 9:19pm On Jul 20, 2018
prolog2:
What you are doing is pointless, we all know you are Igbo. Even the way you talk betrays you. You know nothing about the Edo, crowl back to your Igbo identity and stop foolishly pretending to be Edo. Whatever you are selling, we are not buying, now get lost.

Anything that suit you....
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 9:32pm On Jul 20, 2018
gregyboy:

Migration is usually as a result of seeking greener pastures, fleeing away from persecution or wars. It could be any of the above.
Why their descendants came back? It could be they were being discriminated against by their hosts and they decided to return to the land of their fathers.

Do you know there are Edos living in Yoruba lands for hundreds of years? If these Edos decides to return home what names and language do u think they and their children will be speaking in maybe the next 200years??

Try to do some research about itsekiris origin. Don’t just assume.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by BabaRamota1980: 9:39pm On Jul 20, 2018
OMANBALA1:

Dude, would love to see the history that says Itsekiri is an Edoid group. Itsekiri is a Yoruba dialect as we know it. If there is new info on their history and language I want to know.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by BabaRamota1980: 9:48pm On Jul 20, 2018
Guys there is difference between Bini, the elite and aristocrats, and Edo the slaves.

Bini is foreigner from Ypruba, Edo is the aborigine land owner.

Bini is the kingdom, Edo has never had a kingdom.

Bini worship their Yoruba ancestors, Edo is the stock used in the worship.

Bini is regal, Edo is serving.

Bini came with Ife civilization, Edo was civilized and taught to wear clothes.

When you hear ....Oba no dey go transfer..., thats Edo praising his Bini Lord.

Bini came out of Yoruba. Edo came out of Efa.

Bini brought deity worship to Edo, Edo deities have been wiped out and they are forbidden from ever remembering or worshipping their own deities.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 10:01pm On Jul 20, 2018
BabaRamota1980:
Guys there is difference between Bini, the elite and aristocrats, and Edo the slaves.

Bini is foreigner from Ypruba, Edo is the aborigine land owner.

Bini is the kingdom, Edo has never had a kingdom.

Bini worship their Yoruba ancestors, Edo is the stock used in the worship.

Bini is regal, Edo is serving.

Bini came with Ife civilization, Edo was civilized and taught to wear clothes.

When you hear ....Oba no dey go transfer..., thats Edo praising his Bini Lord.

Bini came out of Yoruba. Edo came out of Efa.

Bini brought deity worship to Edo, Edo deities have been wiped out and they are forbidden from ever remembering or worshipping their own deities.

Idiot, the only renowned slaves and children of slaves are the Yorubas. So why are you trying so hard to put ur garment of slavery on another tribe??
Pls wear it, it’s yours.. it stinks badly of Yoruba. You are the slaves, Edos are the masters.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by ghostfacekillar(m): 10:02pm On Jul 20, 2018
davidnazee:

Why are u blinded by jealousy?? Even early Europeans to West Africa attested to the fact that Great Benin kingdom encompassed everywhere from river Niger to Togo. So let’s not debate that.

The war of Agha Idu Na Oba was a campaign the Oba of Benin led against the Igbos. It was a brutal war, thousands of lives lost but in the end the Oba defeated the Igbos.
That’s why the Igbos are still angry till today, they cannot forget the might of a great king
pure fallacy. U bini people are fond of twisting history. U defeated igboland. Bros udey craze. The ekumeku war lasted thirty years between us and britz. Nah small bini. Abeg swerve
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by ghostfacekillar(m): 10:04pm On Jul 20, 2018
davidnazee:

historoan. What do you know about ezechime. The name ezechime does it in anyway sound edo to u.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 10:08pm On Jul 20, 2018
ghostfacekillar:
pure fallacy. U bini people are fond of twisting history. U defeated igboland. Bros udey craze. The ekumeku war lasted thirty years between us and britz. Nah small bini. Abeg swerve

I didn’t say Benin defeated Igboland. The war called Agha Iduu Na Oba was won by the Oba of Benin. The Igbo army was crushed, thousands of Igbo heads taken. It was a brutal war for both sides, Benin lost thousands too but prevailed in the end.
The story is part of Igbo folklore, go ask ur elders.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 10:11pm On Jul 20, 2018
ghostfacekillar:
historoan. What do you know about ezechime. The name ezechime does it in anyway sound edo to u.

So you that know tell us about Eze Chima.
If you don’t know then my version stands to be true.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by ghostfacekillar(m): 10:11pm On Jul 20, 2018
davidnazee:

I didn’t say Benin defeated Igboland. The war called Agha Iduu Na Oba was won by the Oba of Benin. The Igbo army was crushed, thousands of Igbo heads taken. It was a brutal war for both sides, Benin lost thousands too but prevailed in the end.
lol. It was the other way round. We squashed ur bini army and donated ur head to our deity. Even though we lost a number of people. We repelled ur attack and send u people running. Till u had no other choice but to make peace with us...
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by ghostfacekillar(m): 10:15pm On Jul 20, 2018
davidnazee:

lol igbo folklore i knw said that we repelled ur attacks and finally subdued u peeps into advancing into igbo territory and ur warriors squashed and heads taken as trophy

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 10:17pm On Jul 20, 2018
ghostfacekillar:
lol. It was the other way round. We squashed ur bini army and donated ur head to our deity. Even though we lost a number of people. We repelled ur attack and send u people running. Till u had no other choice but to make peace with us...

Hmmm sorry bro, no be so e happen.
Benin won the war but both sides suffered heavy casualties.
I will agree that the Igbos were aggressive and courageous fighters but in the end a disciplined army will always defeat a barbaric army.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by ghostfacekillar(m): 10:18pm On Jul 20, 2018
davidnazee:

So you that know tell us about Eze Chima.
If you don’t know then my version stands to be true.
Ezechima is an igbo man that sojourned in edo but when he the place became hostile for him and his people. He left tracing his root to where he came from. Incase u don't know. Some onitsha people are now making discoveries of where ezechime came from and some believe that he is from owerre.. A place anoda great ancient kingdom stood. A place called isu
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by ghostfacekillar(m): 10:21pm On Jul 20, 2018
davidnazee:

Hmmm sorry bro, no be so e happen.
Benin won the war but both sides suffered heavy casualties.
I will agree that the Igbos were aggressive and courageous fighters but in the end a disciplined army will always defeat a barbaric army.
eyah. Sorry bro. Ur so called disciplined army was severely beaten and their heads used to build monument in nri. Ave u been to nri Kingdom in anambra. Go there and see for urself. The heads of ur fore fathers
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 10:25pm On Jul 20, 2018
ghostfacekillar:
lol igbo folklore i knw said that we repelled ur attacks and finally subdued u peeps into advancing into igbo territory and ur warriors squashed and heads taken as trophy

I think u are mixing stories. The Agha Iduu Na oba war was won by Benin..
but during the time when Benin was colonizing everywhere, we couldn’t penetrate deep into Igbo heartland past Onitsha because the Igbo fighters were too aggressive and they successfully pushed the Benin armies back, but we didn’t bother to try again because your lands were deemed not economically viable so not worth sacrificing soldiers for. We would have probably won if we kept trying.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 10:29pm On Jul 20, 2018
ghostfacekillar:
eyah. Sorry bro. Ur so called disciplined army was severely beaten and their heads used to build monument in nri. Ave u been to nri Kingdom in anambra. Go there and see for urself. The heads of ur fore fathers

The Agha Iduu Na oba war started because the Oba of Benin executed all the Nri princes and princesses. He sacrificed them to Edo gods.
The Igbos were mad and wanted revenge, that’s how the war started. Benin defeated Igbos in that war but lost heavily too.
If u like no gree, I just educated you on history.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by ghostfacekillar(m): 10:31pm On Jul 20, 2018
davidnazee:

I think u are mixing stories. The Agha Iduu Na oba war was won by Benin..
but during the time when Benin was colonizing everywhere, we couldn’t penetrate deep into Igbo heartland past Onitsha because the Igbo fighters were too aggressive and they successfully pushed the Benin armies back, but we didn’t bother to try again because your lands were deemed not economically viable so not worth sacrificing soldiers for. We would have probably won if we kept trying.
lies from the pit of hell.we bested ur disciplined army in combat and chased u back to edo.we slaughteredd u people like goats after all the edo slavess u people offered as sacrifice.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by ghostfacekillar(m): 10:35pm On Jul 20, 2018
davidnazee:

The Agha Iduu Na oba war started because the Oba of Benin executed all the Nri princes and princesses. He sacrificed them to Edo gods.
The Igbos were mad and wanted revenge, that’s how the war started. Benin defeated Igbos in that war but lost heavily too.
If u like no gree, I just educated you on history.
educated who?. We built castles using ur head as block. I told u to come to anambra. I will be ur guide. I will take u round nri. To see the magnificent castles we build with ur warriors head. I will personally take u there.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 10:39pm On Jul 20, 2018
ghostfacekillar:
educated who?. We built castles using ur head as block. I told u to come to anambra. I will be ur guide. I will take u round nri. To see the magnificent castles we build with ur warriors head. I will personally take u there.

You make me laugh.. one factor that saved Igbo land from Benin kingdom was the river Niger. If not for the river and the tasks of crossing it every time we would have conquered you the way we conquered the Yorubas.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by ghostfacekillar(m): 10:41pm On Jul 20, 2018
davidnazee:

You make me laugh.. one factor that saved Igbo land from Benin kingdom was the river Niger. If not for the river and the tasks of crossing it every time we would have conquered you the way we conquered the Yorubas.
u couldn't even beat the igbos in Delta talk less of crossing river. They bested u peeps
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by ghostfacekillar(m): 10:43pm On Jul 20, 2018
davidnazee:

we showed u pepper and out of pity because of the number of head we dismembered from ur fallen edo warriors. We decided to leave u peeps to run back home
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by ghostfacekillar(m): 10:45pm On Jul 20, 2018
davidnazee:

please which is part of yoruba did u peeps conquered. The Yorubas also bested u and built shrines for ogun and sango using ur heads..even the ijaw in edo state bested u peeps and took over gelegele.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 11:25pm On Jul 20, 2018
ghostfacekillar:
u couldn't even beat the igbos in Delta talk less of crossing river. They bested u peeps

Please just shut up about the Delta Igbos. They are part of Benin Kingdom by way of conquest. If u start to deny that then I will assume u really don’t know anything.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 11:27pm On Jul 20, 2018
ghostfacekillar:
please which is part of yoruba did u peeps conquered. The Yorubas also bested u and built shrines for ogun and sango using ur heads..even the ijaw in edo state bested u peeps and took over gelegele.

Now I know u are just a hater and jealous person. I don’t even think you are Igbo sef.
No need trading words with an ignorant (probably Yoruba) person.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by ghostfacekillar(m): 11:49pm On Jul 20, 2018
davidnazee:

Please just shut up about the Delta Igbos. They are part of Benin Kingdom by way of conquest. If u start to deny that then I will assume u really don’t know anything.
lol. Conquest. So u mean they are not bini people again who there soposed edo Language was corrupted. So they are now igbos who where conquered. U bini people are daft

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Two Masquerades Pictured Riding By On A Motorcycle In Kogi State / Outrage As Nigerians Perform Traditional Rituals Publicly In South Africa.Photos / The Official Ukwuani Thread: Ukwuani Bu Ani Eze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.