Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:51 AM

Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? (5186 Views)

Rate Of Denial At USA Embassy Is Alarming... / My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid / Nigerians Abroad, How Do You Cope With The Coronavirus Issue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by paulavon: 9:32am On Jul 01, 2018
I am creating this thread for those who had been denied visa before to share their experiences about how they felt and was able to move on with their lives after they were denied Visa.

Here is mine;
I got a US study visa denial by December,2017, but the effect of that 5mins interview is yet to go away. After spending lots of money on school application fee, Sevis fee, courier charges, Visa fee,etc and spending months to prepare for the interview, it took less than 5mins for all to go down the drain.
Standing in front of the VO after the news of my denial, I was just stunned, with lots of things going through my mind. I felt rejected and dejected, I have never been meant to feel that way in my whole life.
Returning home from Lagos to my city empty handed was even more painful. It was a long and tortuous journey. Frustration and depression made the journey farther than it ought to be.
Moving on was really difficult for me, whenever I think of the incident it affects my mood and makes me feel sad.

I know a lot of people have been through this road before, it would be nice to share your experience so that others can learn.

5 Likes

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Nbote(m): 9:58am On Jul 01, 2018
I told myself to expect d worst already before d interview. I was even playful inside to d point of a guy asking why I was so confident...

6 Likes

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Nobody: 10:10am On Jul 01, 2018
I have been denied twice! The first wasn't that bad cos I was still in the University(3rd year) and it was on a friend's invitation.

The 2nd was like hell. I drank to stupor. I gave up on my American dream! The most painful part was that, it was a blood's invitation......the same mama n papa!

I've gotten over it now.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by paulavon: 10:24am On Jul 01, 2018
Thanks for relating your experience. It is not easy to move on after being denied twice. But giving up on your American dream was quite fast though.
pp802:
I have been denied twice! The first wasn't that bad cos I was still in the University(3rd year) and it was on a friend's invitation.

The 2nd was like hell. I drank to stupor. I gave up on my American dream! The most painful part was that, it was a blood's invitation......the same mama n papa!

I've gotten over it now.

1 Like

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by waleyp(m): 10:25am On Jul 01, 2018
I Know Its PainFul As Hell But, What Kind Of Questions Do They Ask During The InteRView?
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by paulavon: 10:28am On Jul 01, 2018
Your strategy of preparing your mind to accept the worse might be good,but it is difficult not to feel bad when that denial news comes,except you were not really serious about traveling in the first place.
Nbote:
I told myself to expect d worst already before d interview. I was even playful inside to d point of a guy asking why I was so confident...
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by paulavon: 10:30am On Jul 01, 2018
Lalasticlala pls move this to the front page
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Nobody: 10:32am On Jul 01, 2018
waleyp:
I Know Its PainFul As Hell But, What Kind Of Questions Do They Ask During The InteRView?

Are you married? Children? Have you travelled before? What do you do for a living? What's your job about? What are you going to do in America? Where exactly are you going? Who is sponsoring your trip? How long do you wanna stay for?

The questions are not hard, but the white VO's are psychologists.........they know when you lie! They read your body language. They look at you in the eye, look at how you talk, etc!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by kunzzy4me(m): 10:43am On Jul 01, 2018
Have been denied twice.. First was American embassy in 2015..my wife cried all the way from Lagos to Ibadan.. Even me self I just manage to drive down back to Ibadan.. The second one was Spanish embassy in 2016 I was so confident with all the documents I submitted.. But to my surprise when I when back to collect my passport I was denied. It really painful. Money.. Stress.. Time.. Prayers.. Mehmmm gbese re ooooo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by paulavon: 10:58am On Jul 01, 2018
Sorry man, if only these Visa officers know the pain and trauma they cause, they will not be denying people Visa anyhow.
kunzzy4me:
Have been twice.. First was American embassy in 2015..my wife cried all the way from Lagos to Ibadan.. Even me self I just manage to drive down back to Ibadan.. The second one was Spanish embassy in 2016 I was so confident with all the documents I submitted.. But to my surprise when I when back to collect my passport I was denied. It really painful. Money.. Stress.. Time.. Prayers.. Mehmmm gbese re ooooo
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Nbote(m): 11:09am On Jul 01, 2018
paulavon:
Your strategy of preparing your mind to accept the worse might be good,but it is difficult not to feel bad when that denial news comes,except you were not really serious about traveling in the first place.
No doubt I was disappointed na... I jus consoled myself by claiming I expected d worse even though I fasted and became an overnight born again before d interview.

1 Like

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Activedreamer: 11:32am On Jul 01, 2018
I have been denied twice in my life, but I have a US visa now.
First was a UK visa,six years ago. I was very young. I cried and said I was never gon try again. I got my mind off visiting any western country.
Second time was in January. US denied me in Abj. I felt so bad, my chest pained me for days cos I was very confident I'd get it.A lady friend advised me to try again .

I decided to give it one last try. Same info. Same purpose, but a more confident me. I went with an open mind." If this fails , I count my loss and go home ''. In all honesty, I didn't hope this time. I was blown away when my visa was approved . This life ehn. Sometimes, when we lose faith, the unexpected happens . I don't know if it's luck or the way it's been designed to happen.
*my 2nd interview was in lag*

You can try again, guys.

17 Likes

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by chigo4u: 11:59am On Jul 01, 2018
Activedreamer:
First was a UK visa,six years ago. I was very young. I cried and said I was never gon try again. I got my mind off visiting any western country.
Second time was in January. US denied me in Abj. I felt so bad, my chest pained me for days cos I was very confident I'd get it.A lady friend advised me to try again .

I decided to give it one last try. Same info. Same purpose, but a more confident me. I went with an open mind." If this fails , I count my loss and go home ''. In all honesty, I didn't hope this time. I was blown away when my visa was approved . This life ehn. Sometimes, when we lose faith, the unexpected happens . I don't know if it's luck or the way it's been designed to happen.

You can try again, guys.
what visa did you apply for?

1 Like

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by paulavon: 12:03pm On Jul 01, 2018
Thanks for sharing your story and for encouraging others not to give up in their Visa pursuit.
Activedreamer:

You can try again, guys.
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by mavinc4u(f): 1:22pm On Jul 01, 2018
I really wonder why some countries would be denying students study visa, I find it difficult to understand.

1 Like

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Legend1145(m): 1:52pm On Jul 01, 2018
It feels so bad when u are denied a Visa, but I will jst encourage u to put more efforts, dnt put too much hope or make ur life depends on it, be very sincere in ur documents let me assure u, u can't deceive the embassy smart guys, they are very smart (oyinbo no just employ any hw person for dere embassy), the best and the smartest ones works dere. Sometimes Na very lil mistake we da do. I was later given the Visa after I realize my silly mistakes(did not package documents well)and reapply within a month. Infact na on top my Itel phone I fill my application den.
I will be applying dis year again for visit, waiting for my passport renewal to come out, [left][/left]Alausa Ikeja passport office said no material on ground yet since last week and Na 30k I pay oooo. Its a shower Sunday enjoy ur day and pls if driving drive with extra caution. Spain Vs Russia going to be a cracker may the better team win
ìré oooo

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by business4all: 2:02pm On Jul 01, 2018
I went back a second time in a couple of months after denial to the same embassy location. Same purpose of travel. Prior to that time before I submitted my first US visa application, a pastor I met for the first time once told me he saw me traveling. He said I should take a step of faith. Then I had an ambition to travel, but never submitted the application.

I submitted the first application and went for an interview. I was denied. I went back to meet the said pastor to share my denial experience with him. He ordered me that I should go back and reapply. That gave more courage to do so. In two to three months after denial, I reapplied and I was approved for a visa. Just trust in God in all situations.

12 Likes

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Activedreamer: 5:21pm On Jul 01, 2018
chigo4u:

what visa did you apply for?
B1/B2
Business related
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by olumig(m): 5:53pm On Jul 01, 2018
paulavon:
I am creating this thread for those who had been denied visa before to share their experiences about how they felt and was able to move on with their lives after they were denied Visa.

Here is mine;
I got a US study visa denial by December,2017, but the effect of that 5mins interview is yet to go away. After spending lots of money on school application fee, Sevis fee, courier charges, Visa fee,etc and spending months to prepare for the interview, it took less than 5mins for all to go down the drain.
Standing in front of the VO after the news of my denial, I was just stunned, with lots of things going through my mind. I felt rejected and dejected, I have never been meant to feel that way in my whole life.
Returning home from Lagos to my city empty handed was even more painful. It was a long and tortuous journey. Frustration and depression made the journey farther than it ought to be.
Moving on was really difficult for me, whenever I think of the incident it affects my mood and makes me feel sad.

I know a lot of people have been through this road before, it would be nice to share your experience so that others can learn.
it can be devastating, but try again
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by waleyp(m): 8:26pm On Jul 01, 2018
na wa o
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Lexusgs430: 12:23am On Jul 02, 2018
mavinc4u:
I really wonder why some countries would be denying students study visa, I find it difficult to understand.

If financials looks a bit dodgy or not ironed out properly...

To study requires high financial burden, if the student cannot proof financial independence, how do they intend to sustain themselves financially?

Without proper funding, it is statistically proven that the student would fail or have ulterior motives to ditch student visa and illegal attempt to overstay or abuse visa conditions......
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by paulavon: 5:27am On Jul 02, 2018
Sometimes you have all documents on point and you still get the shock of your life when you get denied.How about that?

Mods pls move this thread to front page
Cc: Lalasticlala,Mnd4

Lexusgs430:

If financials looks a bit dodgy or not ironed out properly...

To study requires high financial burden, if the student cannot proof financial independence, how do they intend to sustain themselves financially?

Without proper funding, it is statistically proven that the student would fail or have ulterior motives to ditch student visa and illegal attempt to overstay or abuse visa conditions......
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Lexusgs430: 6:25am On Jul 02, 2018
paulavon:
Sometimes you have all documents on point and you still get the shock of your life when you get denied.How about that?

Mods pls move this thread to front page
Cc: Lalasticlala,Mnd4

Because the documents you think are on point, are not really on point.......
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by goggleit: 1:10pm On Jul 02, 2018
I was denied on 26th of June, still depressed cause of the wasted time and efforts. OP does travelling xperience matters.
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by paulavon: 2:30pm On Jul 02, 2018
Sorry about your denial, I understand how it feels. Travel history is important but not necessary. Other factors count as well with some element of luck.
goggleit:
I was denied on 26th of June, still depressed cause of the wasted time and efforts. OP does travelling xperience matters.
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by goggleit: 8:06am On Jul 03, 2018
paulavon:
Sorry about your denial, I understand how it feels. Travel history is important but not necessary. Other factors count as well with some element of luck.
does travelling experience matters?
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by MissJoy29(f): 7:09pm On Jul 07, 2018
goggleit:
does travelling experience matters?
I was told it's important. Although it didn't help in my case.

I had travelled to two other countries before my interview. I thought that will help my cause. The lady sitting beside me in the interview hall didn't have any travelling experience at all. But I was denied & she was given.

5 Likes

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by MissJoy29(f): 7:37pm On Jul 07, 2018
Mine should be in 2014 or so. I was to go to Maryland on a tourist visa.

But things started going wrong from the beginning for that day. In fact from the day before.
The journey from Owerri to Lagos was sooooo turbulent. I don't know how I didn't die of fear that day coupled with the fact that I have acute phobia for flying. Everyone was busy singing and Praying. And there were two Nollywood celebrities with us that day. I even took pics with them(me that I no dey take eye see reasonable celebrities). Eventually, when we landed, everyone was clapping. It was that bad.

My interview time was to be 9am on that day but I got to the embassy around 11. I was so angry at the person that drove me, the rains, the traffic. When I got there, they allowed me in. I was vetted and led into the hall. In there, I was so nervous. I kept monitoring the officers that were rejecting people more and Prayed never to be interviewed by them. Meanwhile, I had this faith in the preparations I did before then. You see, I have a lot of people around that have travelled. So I got first hand advice from them. I had all the right papers. I have travelling experience. What more? But how wrong I was.

I was the very last person to be interviewed for that day. In fact, by the time the guy was interviewing me, the other ones were already packing up to go. You could see from my interviewer that he was disinterested and probably tired. Because of that, he wasn't asking the right questions. He didn't even look at my papers. I was filled with dread when I sensed what was going to happen. I almost started begging him to look at my papers. I was supplying information he didn't even ask but were relevant. Chai. It didn't move him.

At last, he gave me my passport back with that white paper in it that contains information about your denial. I was dead inside. I held myself. How I even relayed the information to the people over there waiting for the news I will never know. I felt cheated cos I wasn't interviewed properly. I wasn't given a fair chance. That made the sadness unbearable. Till this day, I still feel that guy & Barack Obama owe me an apology. I'm still waiting for them.

I got home & put on my thinking cap. I started wondering what would have happened if I had got there at my right time. I also started remembering everything I planned doing when I get there. Devastation is an understatement for how I felt. The tears just burst out from where I locked them and flowed freely.

1 Like

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by goggleit: 8:20pm On Jul 07, 2018
Luck was on her side and the way her documents or forms were prepared help her I guess
MissJoy29:

I was told it's important. Although it didn't help in my case.

I had travelled to two other countries before my interview. I thought that will help my cause. The lady sitting beside me in the interview hall didn't have any travelling experience at all. But I was denied & she was given.
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by MissJoy29(f): 8:26pm On Jul 07, 2018
goggleit:
Luck was on her side and the way her documents or forms were prepared help her I guess
Probably....I guess so.
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jul 07, 2018
@missjoy29: you didn't read the 9th and 11th items on the Bible emergency numbers in your profile cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by MissJoy29(f): 8:37pm On Jul 07, 2018
pp802:
@missjoy29: you didn't read the 9th and 11th items on the Bible emergency numbers in your profile cheesy
In my defence, I didn't have that pic back then.

But then again, I didn't totally lose hope.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Travelling To Hungary For Masters This September / My Travel Experience With Arik Airline / Need Direction: From Iyana-ipaja To Admiralty Way, Lekki Phase 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.