Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,461 members, 7,801,149 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:33 AM

Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? - Politics (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? (29784 Views)

"We Train Girls As Suicide Bombers"; Jealous Wife Snitches On Her Husband / Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga / The Nigerian Political Class And Their Foreign Counterparts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by silentc(m): 10:28am On Jun 12, 2010
buzugee:

like you said he ran out of bullets grin that was his downfall. me myself ? i will have enough bullets to take on a small country grin bullets are cheap. i will order them by the caseloads from walmart cheesy dem no born the armu robber well.

oh yeah what happened to john brown ? he won the battle but lost the war. he got hanged by the USA government for treason embarassed

Buzugee (or should I say Bugsy wink ) what of the thieves that attack during the day? Or tailgate you when you are driving into your compound? What of the ones that have the gates and front door open from inside? (inside job?)

While you might be able to protect your self (as you have described) by being trained with arms professionally (i.e you are a marksman) and have planned a strategy for this particular situation, there a million and 1 other situations that might occur. It might be better to live to fight another day.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by tundewoods(m): 10:29am On Jun 12, 2010
It is amazing how this thread ended up generating so much traffic, WOW !
with this kind of traffic Seun may soon become our digital Dangote .
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by MandingoII(m): 1:25pm On Jun 12, 2010
Not just in the UK with this "jealousy" issue.

I suspect nigerians are JEALOUS of EVERYBODY with Black skin anywhere and everywhere.

for some reason, I'm beginning to believe you people are WIRED that way.

This is not the case with other Africans.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by ceasyc(f): 5:24pm On Jun 12, 2010
@topic
hahaha!
na wa oh - "jealous"?
very funny that!
it makes no bloody sense

wots all the fuss about nigerians living in 9ja and (vs)
nigerians living in uk or obodoyibo

when r u guys gonna quit dem topics
its getting really annoying n boring
*yawns*
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by zicoisaac: 7:27pm On Jun 12, 2010
Nice thread, everybody have spoken well, but lets check individual diffrences, some Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts and some are not, most time people you know very well are the most jealous ones, and its a shame
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by gowaga68: 9:17pm On Jun 12, 2010
na wa for una sef
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by lastpage: 2:44am On Jun 13, 2010
@Kobojunkie.
I am speaking in "relative terms".
generally speaking, you cannot evade paying for the amount of electricity units you use overseas but in Naija, using clandestine means like "tapping from another street", loading the A.C. direct from the Nepa Pole (bypassing the Meter!) e.t.c, still makes it possible for people to evade the actual amount they should have paid.

tell me, if as a first time driver, with "learner Sign" boldly emblazoned on your windscreen, How much would you be insured for, to drive a car?
That same driver will get a Third Party insurance for #5,000 in Naija, his mates in U.K will probably pay no less that 700 GBP, right?
How many people pay for MOT/NCT in Naija, over here if you fail to pay, your car (even if its the latest Bugatti) will be "crushed" on sight, abi na lie? In Naija, worst case is to dash LASTMA or "Ekee" some #5,000 and you get a nice "Safe journey saah" to go along with your freedom grin

There are still places in Nigeria where they dont pay a dime for electricity (as l know, some parts of the N.D.) and somewhere in the Northern states! Even the Queen pays for electricity in U.K!

In summary,
Abroad is all about paying Bills; everything is "Pay-as-You-Go" grin
Due to our level of infrastructure and development, those who are determined to evade their Bills will still do so in Naija, like evading T.V tax. How many people pay that in Naija?
But of course, you get what you pay for or even less!
If "Abroad Nepa" brings current that destroys my equipment, l will sue them and they will replace it! In Naija, you'd be better-off unplugging your 'Electronics' before Nepa returns power or else, you will curse your "Goodluck Jonathan" for employing a monkey at Ijora Switch station grin grin

Enjoy your day.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by zicoisaac: 2:06pm On Jun 13, 2010
I like ur illustrations, very simple and understandable, Nigeria has a long way to go, without u and me, there is no Nigeria,
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Kobojunkie: 2:29pm On Jun 13, 2010
lastpage:

@Kobojunkie.
I am speaking in "relative terms".
generally speaking, you cannot evade paying for the amount of electricity units you use overseas but in Naija, using clandestine means like "tapping from another street", loading the A.C. direct from the Nepa Pole (bypassing the Meter!) e.t.c, still makes it possible for people to evade the actual amount they should have paid.
So, you are comparing CRIMINAL ACTS by some Nigerians to actions of law abiding citizens abroad? And this is what you consider relative?

lastpage:

tell me, if as a first time driver, with "learner Sign" boldly emblazoned on your windscreen, How much would you be insured for, to drive a car?
That same driver will get a Third Party insurance for #5,000 in Naija, his mates in U.K will probably pay no less that 700 GBP, right?
I won't even go deep into these two, but are the two parties, regardless of amount involved, not paying BILLS in both cases?
By the way, are you saying people like that pay only Naira 5000 for 6/12 months premium? In other words, do the people in the UK pay 700 pounds a month for insurance?
lastpage:

How many people pay for MOT/NCT in Naija, over here if you fail to pay, your car (even if its the latest Bugatti) will be "crushed" on sight, abi na lie? In Naija, worst case is to dash LASTMA or "Ekee" some #5,000 and you get a nice "Safe journey saah" to go along with your freedom grin
Again, you are comparing the ability to get around the laws by paying some bribe with following of the law. How relative is that?
I think the main is that the BILL does exist and that should be the main, not the fact that some are able to bribe their way ILLEGALLY out of paying that bill.

lastpage:

There are still places in Nigeria where they dont pay a dime for electricity (as l know, some parts of the N.D.) and somewhere in the Northern states! Even the Queen pays for electricity in U.K!
Again, are those people getting it FREE? Or are they supposed to pay for REFUSE to pay? That is really how best to argue these things. Not CONCLUDE that there are no bills for people to deal with, simply because our poor system does not implement laws.

lastpage:

Abroad is all about paying Bills; everything is "Pay-as-You-Go" grin
Due to our level of infrastructure and development, those who are determined to evade their Bills will still do so in Naija, like evading T.V tax. How many people pay that in Naija?
Dude, your write up actually SHOWS there are equally bills to pay in Nigeria. Citing examples of law evaders as reason for your argument that the same does not exist in Nigeria is flawed. If you want to compare the life of law abiding citizens in places like UK with Nigerians, at least pick the law abiding citizens in Nigeria as well. There are actually Nigerians who pay their electricity bill each month, Pay for tickets, Pay their taxes and other charges from government, pay their cable bills etc.
Barely 30 years ago in the same Nigeria, people paid most of the bills you claim they bribe their way past paying today. We had good TV and paid for it with no complaints. We paid taxes and enjoyed the many amenities funded by our tax money. We enjoy many of what those in the UK did, until decay set in.

Even today, before setting out for Nigeria, contrary to what many report to be the case, some of us actually put money aside for the bills we would have to deal with during our stay down there. There are the phone bills, electricity/generator bill, cost of insurance for cars we plan to drive, DSTV bill, internet bill etc. All these are not cheap by the way .

I think it is wrong to argue the way you have so far on this issue as if those in the UK are the only one burdens with the same sort of bill. Same sort of argument someone tried to give earlier on the Tax issue.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by KnowAll(m): 3:01pm On Jun 13, 2010
[size=14pt]I think this topic is childish and imature, HOME is wherever u are comfortable and it changes from year to year, today England might be your home and 18 months time Nigeria might be your home, why in the name of God would I think I am better than the person in Nigeria or Engalnd when in less than 12 months, I might have a role reversal.

Even in the golden hey days of Udoji awards there were Nigerians living and working in England, one would have thought since the lowest paid goverment worker in Nigeria was paid more than the lowest paid in Britain and America there would have being a stampede of Nigerians trooping home, but alas that was not the case, so where u live is relative and changes as events and pecularities unravel itself in our lives.[/size]
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by lastpage: 6:10pm On Jun 13, 2010
@Kobojunkie,
The use of the term "relative" in my argument is NOT about the "legality/illegality of the actions taken".
It is about the "amount" paid!. That is, amount paid, relative to one-another, one person pays a lot more.

For further clarification, l used the example of insurance.
Both of them pay insurance.
Both of them pay an amount which is legal and acceptable to their insurance company
BUT when we compare the amount paid, for the same car-engine capacity, for the same financial period (one year), One person pays 700GBP (approx #60,000) while another one pays #5,000. That is the relativity l am referring to.

One person pays a higher bill, relative to the other, for the same "service" (insurance).
I am not comparing illegality to legality, as you think.

I also made an allusion to the fact that "it is easier for people to "AVOID" paying certain fees in Nigeria which they would find impossible to avoid in the U.K, for example.
People in U.K complain about some of this taxes and would gladly avoid them too, if they can get away with doing so! So its not as if those in U.K are a better breed of humans than those in Nigeria (same reason we have those parking attendants sticking fines on your windshield wiper grin ), just that the "environment" in Nigeria is yet to mature to properly enforce rules as required.

I hope l have been able to explain myself.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Kobojunkie: 9:06pm On Jun 13, 2010
lastpage:

@Kobojunkie,
That is, amount paid, relative to one-another, one person pays a lot more.

Let us run with this for a second . . . . what group pays more?

a) Phone Bill
    -- UK ---
    -- Nigerian ---

b) ELectricity Bill(24/7 electricity)
--- UK ---
--- Nigeria ---

etc

lastpage:

Both of them pay insurance.Both of them pay an amount which is legal and acceptable to their insurance company BUT when we compare the amount paid, for the same car-engine capacity, for the same financial period (one year), One person pays 700GBP (approx #60,000) while another one pays #5,000. That is the relativity l am referring to.
You actually want me to believe that in Nigeria, cost of Car insurance that covers the very same things covered with the UK option is $35 a year? ROFLMAO!!!

lastpage:

One person pays a higher bill, relative to the other, for the same "service" (insurance).
I am not comparing illegality to legality, as you think.
Could you please show that they are both paying for the SAME SERVICE here? This I really want to know!

lastpage:

I also made an allusion to the fact that "it is easier for people to "AVOID" paying certain fees in Nigeria which they would find impossible to avoid in the U.K, for example.
People in U.K complain about some of this taxes and would gladly avoid them too, if they can get away with doing so! So its not as if those in U.K are a better breed of humans than those in Nigeria (same reason we have those parking attendants sticking fines on your windshield wiper grin ), just that the "environment" in Nigeria is yet to mature to properly enforce rules as required.
I hope l have been able to explain myself.
Actually not paying your taxes in most places, including Nigeria, is ILLEGAL. There are people in the UK that evade taxes as well, so it is not really a matter of not being able to. You can if you want to in many places. Just that it is harder because of consequences in the UK. Same thing applies here in the States. You can evade taxes but the IRS has a way of getting the money back and the consequences are not really pleasant so people, sometimes unwillingly, continue instead to pay so they can have peace of mind.

So, that the environment is not mature DOES not mean the BILL does not exist. It does exist and is mandatory, just that  people still find it easy to evade the bills, for now. So, again, your claim that these bills does not exist is baseless still. People on both sides do need to worry about bills, bills, bills. Only that some on the one side find it easier to escape payment of these same bills than others do.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by dremoney(m): 11:37am On Jun 14, 2010
cheesy dis thread still on?
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by debosky(m): 6:37pm On Jun 15, 2010
On the insurance issue Kobo is right - 700GBP is likely comprehensive insurance. You cannot pay 5,000 for insurance in Nigeria unless it's the cheapest form of insurance - 3rd party.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Sauron1: 7:24pm On Jun 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Let us run with this for a second . . . . what group pays more?

a) Phone Bill
    -- UK ---
    -- Nigerian ---

b) ELectricity Bill(24/7 electricity)
--- UK ---
--- Nigeria ---

NIGERIANS definitely pay more when it comes to Electricity Bill and Phone Bills.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by dremoney(m): 6:35pm On Jun 16, 2010
dis mumu thread

hisssssssssssssssssssssss, im outta here[i][/i]
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jun 19, 2010
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Kobojunkie: 6:35pm On Jun 19, 2010
You forgot to add cost of food, and maybe transportation there. @ftMom
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by tkb417(m): 8:59pm On Jun 19, 2010
@ftmom
u spend 10,000 a month on phone? shocked shocked shocked shocked
im sure i spend that in a week.

to make calls in 9ja is madness. To call from a MTN line to a Glo line is like callin an international number

i hope the govt helps in this aspect cos its fckin outrageous
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Kobojunkie: 9:03pm On Jun 19, 2010
tkb417:

@ftmom

to make calls in 9ja is madness. To call from a MTN line to a Glo line is like callin an international number

10,000 a week? Who you dey call? White house?
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jun 20, 2010
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jun 20, 2010
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Sauron1: 3:41pm On Jun 21, 2010
tkb417:

@ftmom

I agree witcha here. . . . .
Mobile phone bills are crazy in Naija. . . . . . .I spend close to 20k in my first week - it takes time for me to adjust.
It's understandable when Naija folks FLASH so you can call em back. . . . . . .Running a fone in that country is more expensive than anywhere else in the world.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by dayokanu(m): 4:24pm On Jun 21, 2010
For $70 a month, I get unlimited calls, and text messages. (Tmobile- Bayern Munich sponsors- Keeping it in the family) grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Atimes in a month I send 6,000 texts and can stay on the fone all day all for $70
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Kobojunkie: 4:36pm On Jun 21, 2010
WOW . . . I wonder where the average people on the streets in the NIgeria get the money for all the calls they make then.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by funkybaby(f): 4:55pm On Jun 21, 2010
So this thread/issue is still on.

@tkb and sauron.
Una get energy !!
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Sauron1: 4:59pm On Jun 21, 2010
funkybaby:

So this thread/issue is still on.

@tkb and sauron.
Una get energy !!

Funkybaby, you get power. cheesy
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by funkybaby(f): 5:01pm On Jun 21, 2010
@sauron
O serious!!
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by tkb417(m): 5:08pm On Jun 21, 2010
Kobojunkie:

10,000 a week? Who you dey call? White house?
40,000 a month is tryin not to overdo

5,000 goes to blackberry from the 40,000
i make international calls
call other networks apart from MTN (just like making international calls)
my line is an official line -meaning my official calls are on ma line

so how is 40k a month too much
fone bills in 9ja can wreck u if u dont take ur time
ii know colleagues whos MTN statements constantly read 75-80k a month
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Kobojunkie: 5:15pm On Jun 21, 2010
tkb417:

40,000 a month is tryin not to overdo

5,000 goes to blackberry from the 40,000
i make international calls
call other networks apart from MTN (just like making international calls)
my line is an official line -meaning my official calls are on ma line

so how is 40k a month too much
fone bills in 9ja can wreck u if u dont take your time
ii know colleagues whos MTN statements constantly read 75-80k a month

I am sorry if you live in a world were [size=13pt] $400 - $500 a month for PHONE CALLS [/size]   is NO BIG DEAL TO YOU. But for me and anyone else out there who believes money ought to be spent well and not all on calls, $400 - $500  a month for mere phone calls is TOO MUCH. Even businesses in the US/UK Pay about 1/4 of that amount for phone and fax lines each month. My Landline(VONAGE) costs me less than $300 a year for unlimited everything and calls to over 60 countries in the world for free. So, I am sorry if MONEY IS SEEPING from every orifice in your body there, for me that amount is ridiculous for just one month on the phone.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Sauron1: 5:19pm On Jun 21, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I am sorry if you live in a world were [size=13pt] $400 - $500 a month for PHONE CALLS [/size]   is NO BIG DEAL TO YOU. But for me and anyone else out there who believes money ought to be spent well and not all on calls, $400 - $500  a month for mere phone calls is TOO MUCH. Even businesses in the US/UK Pay about 1/4 of that amount for phone and fax lines each month.

It's the world we live in.
Instant messages are now incorporated into phones, browsing via fones and all that. . . . .
$400-$500 is not too much. . . . .I musta paid more than that at least THRICE this year. . . .
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Kobojunkie: 5:21pm On Jun 21, 2010
~Sauron~:

It's the world we live in.
Instant messages are now incorporated into phones, browsing via fones and all that. . . . .
$400-$500 is not too much. . . . .I musta paid more than that at least THRICE this year. . . .

What world? What are you talking about? I have a phone with instant messaging, unlimited calls, browsing etc and I don't pay close to that a month.  In the UK? My Friend with a blackberry pays about 25 pounds for his business phone a month. What world are you referring to?

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

Train Attackers Give Update On Victims, Ask Families To Get Prepared For Ransom / Tinubu Arrives Owerri, Commissions 10km Airport Drive / Ummukhulthum Abubakar Sadiq Graduates With 1st Class In Medicine In Saudi Arabia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.