Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,044 members, 7,799,535 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. (11112 Views)

Acrimony Ii Coming Soon / Please Where Can I Download Acrimony Movie... / Acrimony.....who Is To Blame? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jul 01, 2018
First off, the word 'Acrimony' means bitterness or ill feelings. Like the name implies, the movie is for everyone; single or married. Without boring you, the lessons are too many, but I picked just a few which I'll be dropping here.

For those who have seen it, comment your observations/lessons, and if you haven't, go and see it and do well to tell us if the man's decision was good/bad after he made it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jul 01, 2018
1. Don't Put Your Life On Hold 'cause Of Any Dream. Yes, this was Robert's biggest undoing and the genesis of his problems. You may have a dream, one so big that it confuses the people around you, but what you should never do is to place your life on pulse while waiting for it to actualize. Robert could've gotten a job while working on his project and scouting on a prospective buyer or so. That was his wife's opinion, but he didn't see himself doing any other thing. Don't know if I should call that pride.

9 Likes

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 01, 2018
2. Don't Get Married If You Don't Have A Source Of Living. I don't know how to scream this as there's a thin line between sanity and insanity when a woman is the breadwinner of any home. This has absolutely nothing to do with Nigerian woman mentality or the White woman's mentality. Women will always be women. Environment doesn't change how a woman's psyche works. A crocodile in Nigeria can't be an Aligator in America...it remains a crocodile. grin If your fiancée is well to do while you're the opposite, don't make the mistake of marring her to saddle her with a man's responsibilities in the home. They can't handle too much. They want to pride in you, and a measure of that is money.

11 Likes

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jul 01, 2018
3. Cheating. I believe that cheating is one of the root cause of increase in divorce rate all over the world. A partner you cheated on may forgive, but they never forget. The question will be; can someone forgive and forget at the same time? I don't think so as the brain records or keeps tract of all that experience robs off on us. The second you cheat, don't expect your spouse to trust you with the opposite sex. As for women, if you can't deal with a cheating partner, don't condone it in the first place. Her man cheated while they were still dating, she got angry, forgave, but didn't forget. 18years down the line, she heard he cheated and the next thing was to throw away all she's invested in the marriage. Why take him back if you can't deal with a cheat?

7 Likes

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 01, 2018
kimbraa:
2. Don't Get Married If You Don't Have A Source Of Living. I don't know how to scream this as there's a thin line between sanity and insanity when a woman is the breadwinner of any home. This has absolutely nothing to do with Nigerian woman mentality or the White woman's mentality. Women will always be women. Environment doesn't change how a woman's psyche works. A crocodile in Nigeria can't be an Aligator in America...it remains a crocodile. grin If your fiancée is well to do while you're the opposite, don't make the mistake of marring her to saddle her with a man's responsibilities in the home. They can't handle too much. They want to pride in you, and a measure of that is money.
I haven't watched the movie but this is so true. a girl whose dad gave her 50k still asked me to send her 5k n when I asked about the money her dad gave her she replied that there's this sweetness a man's money gives a woman even if she has her own. when I was younger I'd say stuff like women are too demanding, they like money etc but maturity has made me understand that that is their nature. that's how they are wired. so instead of men complaining they should channel that anger towards success but keep in mind that women are also insatiable most times so find one that's modest.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 01, 2018
4. Communication. Communication is key in human relationship. If I learnt nothing, I learnt that the second your spouse offends you or does something you don't seem to agree to, do well to express your inner feelings to him/her. Let it be that you did and they didn't listen than resentment. It's a 100times harder to resent who you love than to love. Both of them had so much to say to each other, but pretence superceded sharing feelings.

5 Likes

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jul 01, 2018
OneSentence:

I haven't watched the movie but this is so true. a girl whose dad gave her 50k still asked me to send her 5k n when I asked about the money her dad gave her she replied that there's this sweetness a man's money gives a woman even if she has her own. when I was younger I'd say stuff like women are too demanding, they like money etc but maturity has made me understand that that is their nature. that's how they are wired. so instead of men complaining they should channel that anger towards success but keep in mind that women are also insatiable most times so find one that's modest.
There are women who're not demanding. I didn't raise that point to buttress the fact that women are demanding in nature but that a woman can't be the breadwinner of any home for too long while her husband idles away. Women pride in well to do men.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jul 01, 2018
5. Defend Your Man When Your Family Mobs Him. Ok, I didn't really know much about how a broke man would take it if his wife's family mobs him but I just realised that they want their wives to defend them. grin He wants you to tell your family of his dreams with your head high 'cause you believe in him, but if you're going to be there quiet while your family talks down on him you become an enemy as well as your family. Guys, is this true? grin

5 Likes

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jul 01, 2018
6. Motivation. Be a source of motivation to your spouse when the chips are down. If you're not sensitive enough to know when to motivate them, they'll soon find solace in who does. God help you it's your best friend or sister that motivates your man. grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jul 01, 2018
7. Listening To Third Parties. There's nothing wrong in having someone/people as your confidant, but do well to scrutinise the counsel they give. It's said that lovers don't see what others do, but even at that, be mindful of who you take advise from.

And lastly, love is never enough.

4 Likes

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by Nobody: 11:46am On Jul 02, 2018
I love dz movie alot. 'Acrimony' is taraji p's gr8test and tyler perry's well-written rom-thriller film. one moral lesson i learnt is just bcuz she signs d divorce papers doesnt mean all is over. Roberts keeps on saying he will always love her no matter what. he says dz words to her even after dia divorce. and dat justified her resorting to insanity & bitterness. d tin is, roberts moves on too fast and never fights to regain her love the second time. she is just the kind of woman dat needs to be fought over to regain her all outrightly and to d point wher you are supposed to be one getting d restaining order on her and if to no avail just let her be. sometimes, women say tins to dia spouse dey dont actually meant. i.e i hate u, i curse/regret d day i 1st met u, etc. & men say tins to dia women dey dont actually follow back on as in case of Roberts screwing up his second chance at getting back at her after sweet-talking her with d L-words; he's supposed to bury in his heart after the divorce. WHO DOES THAT?

6 Likes

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by breadplanets(f): 7:37pm On Jul 02, 2018
kimbraa:
5. Defend Your Man When Your Family Mobs Him. Ok, I didn't really know much about how a broke man would take it if his wife's family mobs him but I just realised that they want their wives to defend them. grin He wants you to tell your family of his dreams with your head high 'cause you believe in him, but if you're going to be there quiet while your family talks down on him you become an enemy as well as your family. Guys, is this true? grin
She was defending her man up until the moment she thought he was cheating on her again and she lost her house. It was too much for her to take.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by breadplanets(f): 7:38pm On Jul 02, 2018
GameKartel:
I love dz movie alot. 'Acrimony' is taraji p's gr8test and tyler perry's well-written rom-thriller film. one moral lesson i learnt is just bcuz she signs d divorce papers doesnt mean all is over. Roberts keeps on saying he will always love her no matter what. he says dz words to her even after dia divorce. and dat justified her resorting to insanity & bitterness. d tin is, roberts moves on too fast and never fights to regain her love the second time. she is just the kind of woman dat needs to be fought over to regain her all outrightly and to d point wher you are supposed to be one getting d restaining order on her and if to no avail just let her be. sometimes, women say tins to dia spouse dey dont actually meant. i.e i hate u, i curse/regret d day i 1st met u, etc. & men say tins to dia women dey dont actually follow back on as in case of Roberts screwing up his second chance at getting back at her after sweet-talking her with d L-words; he's supposed to bury in his heart after the divorce. WHO DOES THAT?
Yes I agree that he moved on too fast
Amazing movie

2 Likes

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jul 02, 2018
breadplanets:

moremShe was defending her man up until the moment she thought he was cheating on her again and she lost her house. It was too much for her to take.
Nope, I saw that she defended him more before marriage. At the time that her siblings approached him for a delivery job, her oldest sis really talked down on him, his ego was bruised and his wife was just quiet. He expected more from her. Having said that, I think both of them still share the blame 'cause if they'd done things better, what happened won't have happened.

2 Likes

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jul 02, 2018
GameKartel:
Exactly, I forgot to include this. She even told him he didn't fight for her. I think that was because their love died a long time ago.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by pat077: 5:31am On Jul 03, 2018
Is the movie available for download
Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by breadplanets(f): 8:40am On Jul 03, 2018
pat077:
Is the movie available for download
Yes it is
Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by pat077: 9:16am On Jul 03, 2018
breadplanets:

Yes it is
is it on youtube
Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by newjosboy: 9:22am On Jul 03, 2018
breadplanets:

Yes I agree that he moved on too fast
Amazing movie

I don't agree with you and the person you quoted! How da hell wont he move on fast when the person who made his dream come true stood by him and made the connections and encouraged him even when he he was a loser? I would do the same thing if I found d myself in that position.

4 Likes

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by breadplanets(f): 10:50am On Jul 03, 2018
newjosboy:

I don't agree with you and the person you quoted! How da hell wont he move on fast when the person who made his dream come true stood by him and made the connections and encouraged him even when he he was a loser? I would do the same thing if I found d myself in that position.
Heyy keep your pants on
no be fight
Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by newjosboy: 4:58pm On Jul 03, 2018
breadplanets:

Heyy keep your pants on
no be fight

I nor dey fight, just explaining

1 Like

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by Ignatio(m): 6:46pm On Jul 03, 2018
One deep lesson in that movie is for you to achieve a certain goal , some people are not meant to be in your life, no matter the love and affection shared between both parties.

7 Likes

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by Nobody: 1:40am On Jul 05, 2018
OneSentence:

I haven't watched the movie but this is so true. a girl whose dad gave her 50k still asked me to send her 5k n when I asked about the money her dad gave her she replied that there's this sweetness a man's money gives a woman even if she has her own when I was younger I'd say stuff like women are too demanding, they like money etc but maturity has made me understand that that is their nature. that's how they are wired. so instead of men complaining they should channel that anger towards success but keep in mind that women are also insatiable most times so find one that's modest.

More than 4ladies have said these same words in my presence in Nigeria. Like one said, a woman will always want to spend her husband's money even if she has her money that she feels love and fulfilled being spoilt with money by her husband.

I've been in Bangkok for some time now but never heard any woman saying that. Gender roles still exist here but on the lowest minimum.
To me that stuff is an African thing.

Just like a wife working and earning money but doesn't want to contribute to the well-being of the family.

@your last words
Any man who makes money for the sole purpose of impressing a woman or getting her attention is a dead man living.

Make money because money is meant to be made not because you want to impress someone.. Can't they impress you? Must you be the one to impress them? .

Well, it all goes down to one's personality.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by Nobody: 1:43am On Jul 05, 2018
kimbraa:

Man's responsibility or both partners responsibilities? . Thought gender roles have been completely eliminated.
If financial provision is a man's responsibility alone, I don't see any reason why Nigerian women are always complaining that men don't help them with house chores and cooking since they're also their responsibilities alone. Men (African alpha males) take pride in women who do house chores and cooking without complaining .

3 Likes

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by Nobody: 1:44am On Jul 05, 2018
The only thing I can say after reading this post is:
Don't get married to a broke or person who has inferiority complex.
As a man if you're rich don't marry any broke kid because of some useless ego, marry your class.

As a woman if you're rich ,don't marry any broke asshole because of some worthless love. Love doesn't exist, it only exist in our imagination.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by lighthousearc: 3:57pm On Jul 16, 2018
From my point of view, Robert has no fault!. If both of them were together he wouldn't actualize his dreams, even to get a good job was a problem, because he's an ex convict!....

Finally Robert finally achieved his dreams with Diana and you expect him to go back to the woman who push him out and divorced him? if Robert never paid Melinda 10m and bought back the house then his a bad person, but the man did the best for her 10m and bought back her mom's house. That's been a MAN.

It's not always who started! it's all about who helped you to the finish line and you appreciate your past.

PS: It's just a movie! You ladies are just been emotional. You don't know what it means to be a GOAL-GETTER if you don't (Someone who strives to achieve their ultimate goal regardless if the outcome is good or bad) For people saying Robert owes Melinda every breath in him, well he does and at the end of the day he did his part! Without Melinda he will still survive...he has been surviving before she met him. As a man with dreams we know how to find our ways around things. It's call DETERMINATION. In a real life scenario if a man has a dream he will achieve by all means...So women don't think men are stupid lol

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by rossyc(f): 4:04pm On Jul 18, 2018
I learnt a lot from that movie..Taking a decision while you are still upset can cause you alot.
Never pause your life waiting on a dream.
Forgiveness is very important for any relationship to work.
Trust is very essential in every relationship, don't marry someone you can't trust or has once broken your trust for them and you can't let it slide.
Take some decisions without involving a third party.
Love is truly not enough we need to look beyond that.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by DABREEZYTOS(f): 9:52am On Jul 19, 2018
you are dame right.....someone who once forgave you when you cheated,,,,the first time you knew how you tamed her to forgive you but the 2nd time which you even knew you didnt do which was just an assumption just at the sight of a mere purse...damn.....ROBERT ought to fight for their love...what hurt me the most was giving another lady the life you promised your ex wife..was it to spite her or what??...
GameKartel:

1 Like

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by Nobody: 11:15am On Jul 19, 2018
DABREEZYTOS:
you are dame right.....someone who once forgave you when you cheated,,,,the first time you knew how you tamed her to forgive you but the 2nd time which you even knew you didnt do which was just an assumption just at the sight of a mere purse...damn.....ROBERT ought to fight for their love...what hurt me the most was giving another lady the life you promised your ex wife..was it to spite her or what??...
yes bro na robert me dey blame pass, o-o-o. if taraji p (sara) dey stubbornly deranged d only solution naa forceful repair of which robert failed to see to it. how u go dey with a woman for 18yrs and still dey take carry-over for her matter? that means he no know her well enough be that!

2 Likes

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by badinfluence: 6:20pm On Jul 19, 2018
You people saying 'fight for her' realize that if the battery never hit, she would never had gone back..
When he succeeded, then she realized that she made a mistake.. A mistake of giving up at the point when it mattered most, she realized that she should have believed him, she realized that she made sure the years of labour where in vain. The guy really wanted his battery to work, so he could make all her efforts for him worth it.
She let everything go to waste because of her anger.. Just like moses who led the Israelites out of Egypt and spent a good number of years on a journey, but didn't see the promised land because of anger.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by jacarantha(m): 9:04am On Jul 22, 2018
Not to be pedantic but most if not all opinions expressed here have very valid elements of truth.
To me the most important is that expressed by the poster who is drawing our attention to the question of what she would have done or felt if the battery was never sold?
If he never became rich, all of these questions would have been moot.
When it hit, she didn't realise she had made a mistake, she just wanted it all, she felt she deserved it all, don't forget the life he promised her was an extension of his dream, his dream.
So why the rancor that he did exactly what he said he would do when he made money?

2 Likes

Re: Life Lessons From Tyler Perry's 'Acrimony'. by Nelsizzy(m): 9:27am On Jul 22, 2018
lighthousearc:
From my point of view, Robert has no fault!. If both of them were together he wouldn't actualize his dreams, even to get a good job was a problem, because he's an ex convict!....

Finally Robert finally achieved his dreams with Diana and you expect him to go back to the woman who push him out and divorced him? if Robert never paid Melinda 10m and bought back the house then his a bad person, but the man did the best for her 10m and bought back her mom's house. That's been a MAN.

It's not always who started! it's all about who helped you to the finish line and you appreciate your past.
So you feel money is enough compensation for the 20 years she invested in a very irresponsible and lazy man? So because you have a dream to pursue you won't find work to do so you can feed yourself. Robert was a very callous man. And nobody here should even blame the family. Imagine if Taraji was your sister, most persons would have even done worse to Robert. Her only fault was that she loved too much and was stupid enough to forgive him the first time he cheated.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ladi Akeredolu-ale And Betty Dibiah / The Best Cartoon(s) You've Watched?? / Naruto Fans, Come In Here, And Let's Discuss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.