Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,851 members, 7,806,404 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:54 PM

How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos (19897 Views)

Lost My Job Today, After Few Months Of Employment / How I Lost A Potential Job Because Of My Denomination / This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by adewumiopeyemi(m): 8:33am On Jul 05, 2018
I think the reason the ceo of the company was looking at those that stay in lagos because the company deal with loan.. he may want people that stays in lagos. Because he or she mayl know more stategy place and some location in lagos to get more clent .. am sowi about that bro.. don't give up God is your strength bro.. undecided
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by yakbauer: 8:35am On Jul 05, 2018
Haba dan uwa, no vex, it has nothing to do with where u grew up but where you are familiar with, in all truth and honesty, the HR personnel shouldn't have let u get to that stage of the interview, even before any aptitude test sef, they should have screened ppl that do not reside in Lagos out. Not to talk of the first oral interview stage that should have also rang a bell.
As someone rightly stated, it's a marketing job, you'll need to know ur way around Lagos, so taking someone besides a "Lagosian" would be a burden on d company.
Permit me to give u my experience: I was born and bred in Lagos but also from the north, I wrote PZ Cussons aptitude tests (first at chams city Ikeja and second at their ilupeju office) was given a letter congratulating me and telling to me wait to hear from them for d next stage which was supposed to be oral interview, after a month I was following the thread on naijahotjobs then, all for me to see that they'd finished d process, when I made enquires I was told it's my place of residence that disqualified me, if I had put Lagos, I'd have been called for interview last.
Secondly, this happened to my cousin as recently as 2 months ago, during Saro interview in Kaduna, she did sec, uni and NYSC in abj, has a degree and an MSC, she passed d test, but when she went for d interview and they saw that she has spent the better part of her formative years in abj, they said she's not qualified for a job in Kaduna state, bros as a kd guy I don't need to explain to u how close kd is to abj.
Sorry for the epistle but I'm just trying to let u know it's nothing personal or to be specific "no sentimental attachments" to denying u the job, quite frankly I think the COO was blunt and that hurt u more than the obvious truth.
May God bless ur hustle, that job wasn't meant for u.

3 Likes

Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by izzou(m): 8:37am On Jul 05, 2018
pocohantas:
IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR TRIBE. It must be a salesman role, one of its prerequisite, is knowledge of the sales location. It makes it easier for you to manoeuvre with little or no stress/cost. It is also believed you will have your own target market.

The problem here is, the HR goofed. The onus was on them to state the location factor while advertising the vacancy or send invites to people who meet that criteria. That was the point you should have been dropped, not at the final interview. Anyway,that's the Nigerian HR for you.

Next time, always tailor your CV to suit whatever role you are applying for. It helps.

I didn't know you were a sales girl person before lipsrsealed
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by DSDLIVEREPORT: 8:41am On Jul 05, 2018
No stereotype here pls. They just being sincere not waste money on someone who won't be productive in the real sense of their expectation . How many bus stops does he know in lagos or how many roads can he navigate if given a car. Even if the job is office based and he is meant to do due diligence on loan applicants how does he know who is trying to manipulate him. Or if he has to look for defaulters. The office was right . But if he is very intelligent and he has gone that far; he would have been offered another role if the vacancy exist or they make him a trainee which he may not want anyway.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by showafrica(m): 8:41am On Jul 05, 2018
easzypeaszy:
Well, i grew up in the North and am getting sales and marketing jobs in Lagos in just a month here in Lagos..but before anything..I spent alot of money moving round, making friends and lots...Many people as at then thoughti have spent more than 2years in Lagos but just a month..May be the man has his personal hatred for Northerners

Haha, the COO hate the north, inside him he knows Northerners are lazy with a kind of bakwomy life unlike Lagos where you must gree die. Forget I no blame the guy, if are not use to Lagos to adapt go hard.
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by thatigboman: 8:45am On Jul 05, 2018
flexyrule:
why the hell would one leave Kaduna for a job in Lagos?
are we no longer in one nigeria? Moreover, lagos is no man's land.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by Livefreeordieha(m): 8:46am On Jul 05, 2018
nathanjohn2808:
I have been pursuing this job for a while now, its sales executive for a loan company in Lagos. I passed through a recruiting firm where I passed their test and interview. I was also invited for interview with the HR of the organisation which I was successful also. We were told to go for medicals, which I did. I was fit and sound. Good eye sight and all.
The last stage was to see the COO. I was asked to introduce myself and I did. He went through my CV and realised that all my schooling was in Kaduna. He asked if I grew up in Kaduna which I told him yes. And immediately he blatantly told me I couldn't cope in Lagos not minding my level of intelligence or innovative strategy I could have applied to make me successful in that field. It took a lot of courage for someone who grew up in the north to want to start a life in Lagos but he ignored the courage and just stereotyped me. Anyway I later got a regret mail from them but I really do not think people who grew in the north should be sidelined.
a job?? Go to the east or north u will loose jobs not job..Wipe ur tears! Edna ogholi.
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by Nobody: 8:48am On Jul 05, 2018
Personal hatred for northerners? Did he ask you about your tribe or where you live? Are you saying if you have being leaving in Lagos he will not employ you because you are a northerner? As a marketer you need to be familiar with people in your area and believe me, if you have not been leaving in Lagos marketing there will be very difficult for you.
Why do people first think of tribalism when something of this happen?
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by els0nm0rali(m): 8:49am On Jul 05, 2018
I know. It can be painful. Don't make a big deal out of it. It's not because you're a Northerner. You just don't meet the requirements they need. Simple.

1 Like

Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by easzypeaszy(m): 8:49am On Jul 05, 2018
showafrica:

Haha, the COO hate the north, inside him he knows Northerners are lazy with a kind of bakwomy life unlike Lagos where you must gree die. Forget I no blame the guy, if are not use to Lagos to adapt go hard.
bros notin hard fr lag...i dnt need to strt tellin tins..bt i came n conquer...I beat many ppl here..wt my 2.2 at 30...Na mindset..if u need me talk i'll be here to guide u al..and dts d reason why i stay tall
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by samfibby(m): 8:52am On Jul 05, 2018
Op, if you really need a marketing job in lagos, then move your b#tt out of kaduna back to lagos. It is not enough to desperately need a job, especially a marketing job in lagos. Your determination will make way for you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by SheikhMuniru(m): 8:53am On Jul 05, 2018
IMAGINE THIS IS RUBBISH, WETIN DEY LAGOS SELF THAT MAKE IT SPECIAL Mitcheww
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by nwaanambra1(m): 8:54am On Jul 05, 2018
bros! this may sound not too good but pls believe me that man was right and he just saved your life!

u grew up in ugwu awusa - an d u want to work in lagos! bros u will just die for nothing!

quite unlike the north were everything is easy, believe me lagos is the devil's den.

even your blood brother may likely sale you off for money in lagos.

once again, that man saved your life.

nathanjohn2808:
I have been pursuing this job for a while now, its sales executive for a loan company in Lagos. I passed through a recruiting firm where I passed their test and interview. I was also invited for interview with the HR of the organisation which I was successful also. We were told to go for medicals, which I did. I was fit and sound. Good eye sight and all.
The last stage was to see the COO. I was asked to introduce myself and I did. He went through my CV and realised that all my schooling was in Kaduna. He asked if I grew up in Kaduna which I told him yes. And immediately he blatantly told me I couldn't cope in Lagos not minding my level of intelligence or innovative strategy I could have applied to make me successful in that field. It took a lot of courage for someone who grew up in the north to want to start a life in Lagos but he ignored the courage and just stereotyped me. Anyway I later got a regret mail from them but I really do not think people who grew in the north should be sidelined.

1 Like

Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by Jamesayo: 8:54am On Jul 05, 2018
I wouldn't completely agree it's the North factor. Every HR has a tangible reason for rejecting candidates, He will also report. Also, don't be deterred, better and bigger offer will open. Keep improving yourself. CHEERS...
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by IbnAbdullah1(m): 8:58am On Jul 05, 2018
greatnaija01:
well, its all a BLOWBACK from the hate for northerners widespread across the country..... BLAME PMB bro... BLAME all the herdsmen

Its what it is. YOU SHOULD HAVE EDITED YOUR CV.

This is exactly what we keep complaining about, some people are too blinded by ethnicity,religion and region to see a man for who he is not where he is from.
If this is what America used as a criteria or criterion I guess people like Obama,Micheal Jackson,Shaq il O Nil wouldn't be celebrated the way there are being celebrated today,but the ugly heads that keeps rearing itself happens not to go away because some insecured hater can not seem to fathom why people are different.
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by Gkemz: 9:02am On Jul 05, 2018
You were rejected because the quality of education in north is too poor. A good number of graduates from north can't make a correct sentence without grammatical errors. If you just want to laugh, visit their facebook page and read their comments.

1 Like

Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by Gamesmart: 9:02am On Jul 05, 2018
nathanjohn2808:

Name the individual and company, otherwise keep quiet!

What is the point of your post if we cannot know who the mugu is and what company they work for?
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by GMbuharii: 9:04am On Jul 05, 2018
nathanjohn2808:

you ppl shud be sidelined to a great extent abeg. Una own too much.
Go to nimasa,Lagos,and see what hausa ppl are doing? Almost everybody working there is hausa/fulani. Even ordinary receptionist at nimasa burma road,Lagos,na one big mallam with a black spot on his forehead! WETIN! And the sea is in the south but run by ppl who are landlocked. Almost all seamen/engineroom and deck cadets are hausa/fulani! Onboard ship,they are gods. You cant talk to them. WETIN!

3 Likes

Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by ajl: 9:19am On Jul 05, 2018
The HR decided to let you go on in the interview process for specific reasons:

-You are to be a very employable candidate even though you do not have required network for the market.

-Because you seem to be s good candidate the HR decided to leave the final decision to the COO.

Move to Lagos if you are really keen about getting a job in Lagos.
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by apollo13(m): 9:19am On Jul 05, 2018
Its a sales job, it has nothing to do with your tribe, they need someone that is used to the environment already and who knows people around that can serve as referral to make the work easier. Not to worry bro, the interview is a plus for you cos I believe you've been able to learn one or two things, don't give up bro.. Your miracle is on the way. Cheers....
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by ajl: 9:24am On Jul 05, 2018
IbnAbdullah1:

This is exactly what we keep complaining about, some people are too blinded by ethnicity,religion and region to see a man for who he is not where he is from.
If this is what America used as a criteria or criterion I guess people like Obama,Micheal Jackson,Shaq il O Nil wouldn't be celebrated the way there are being celebrated today,but the ugly heads that keeps rearing itself happens not to go away because some insecured hater can not seem to fathom why people are different.

Stop glorifying America. If you are not one of them there is a ceiling you may not go beyond in corporate America especially if you work in an entirely Caucasian dominated group. I am talking from experience. They will soon tell you that you need to learn to speak like an American if you want to move up.

1 Like

Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by pocohantas(f): 9:28am On Jul 05, 2018
izzou:

I didn't know you were a sales girl person before lipsrsealed

LOL, I have never been one. But I applied for one 'mistakenly', they garnished the position and job description.
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by slimdamatrix1(m): 9:55am On Jul 05, 2018
Op I'm so sorry you experienced that.

Don't give up, you will find a great job.

Stay positive!
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by izzou(m): 10:06am On Jul 05, 2018
pocohantas:

LOL, I have never been one. But I applied for one 'mistakenly', they garnished the position and job description.

grin grin grin

Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by Rolings: 10:24am On Jul 05, 2018
greatnaija01:
well, its all a BLOWBACK from the hate for northerners widespread across the country..... BLAME PMB bro... BLAME all the herdsmen

Its what it is. YOU SHOULD HAVE EDITED YOUR CV.

Your response to the Op smacks of ignorance. Why blame Buhari? The COO has his reasons this is a private business and they are after competence not federal character. If you and your people hate buhari has that made your life better?
Get a life and stop all these buhari this herdsmen that. Enough
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by HomeOfMe(f): 10:28am On Jul 05, 2018
nathanjohn2808:
Growing up in Lagos would have given you more advantage. How can you be a marketer without knowing most if not all places around Lagos.
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by HomeOfMe(f): 10:30am On Jul 05, 2018
pocohantas:
IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR TRIBE. It must be a salesman role, one of its prerequisite, is knowledge of the sales location. It makes it easier for you to manoeuvre with little or no stress/cost. It is also believed you will have your own target market.

The problem here is, the HR goofed. The onus was on them to state the location factor while advertising the vacancy or send invites to people who meet that criteria. That was the point you should have been dropped, not at the final interview. Anyway,that's the Nigerian HR for you.

Next time, always tailor your CV to suit whatever role you are applying for. It helps.
Exactly.
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by Tflex01: 10:32am On Jul 05, 2018
thatigboman:
are we no longer in one nigeria? Moreover, lagos is no man's land.

For how long are the Igbos going to console themselves with this line

grin
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by Nobody: 10:48am On Jul 05, 2018
When IPOB were telling you people the truths that Nigeria is zoo; you all were calling him and all the indigenous people of Biafra a terrorists for speaking the truths.

You don't speak my language, you are not from my tribe, you are not Yoruba, you are not the Hausa Fulani terrorists, you are not an Fulani herdsmen, because you are a Biafran citizens. You'd be rejected by Nigeria and Nigerians.

Nigeria and Nigerians are sick.

Come to the United States of Biafra the country of freedom and opportunities.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by olalat(m): 10:51am On Jul 05, 2018
Rayhandrinni:
In other words, you are a liability.

In other words, you don't know when to japa or when to gbera when e matter most in oshodi under bridge.

You need this qualification bro
lolz. So agneroism don enter corporate code now bah. Oook oo

2 Likes

Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 05, 2018
Tflex01:

grin

Let Biafrans go back to their country; Nigerians says no. Let Biafrans stay where they want; Nigerians says no. What do you people want from Biafrans

As for all those Biafrans stay fooling themselves as Nigerians; it will be too late for them when Fulani Islamic terrorists done with their Nigeria Islamic agendas.

There was a country.

1 Like

Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by thatigboman: 10:59am On Jul 05, 2018
Tflex01:

grin
for as long as 1 nigeria exists. We developed lagos.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) / Nigeria Police Recruitment For Constables 2019 Begins. See Thread / How Much Is Graduate Trainee Salary At Flour Mills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.