Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,459 members, 7,770,141 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:35 AM

Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? (971 Views)

Who Really Owns The Benin Bronzes? / Lagos My State Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information / WHO OWNS LAGOS? HISTORY 101: POINT OF INFORMATION (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? by firebrand: 5:46pm On Jul 02, 2018
As copied.

LAGOS MY STATE
WHO OWNS LAGOS? HISTORY 101:POINT OF INFORMATION

"By 1872 Lagos was a cosmopolitan trading center with a population of over 60,000 people.Colonial Lagos developed into a busy, cosmopolitan port, with an architecture that blended Victorian and Brazilian styles.The Brazilian element was imparted by skilled builders and masons who had returned from Brazil Th.e black elite was composed of English-speaking "Saros" from Sierra Leone and other emancipated slaves who had been repatriated from Brazil and Cuba.By 1872 the population of the colony was over 60,000, of whom less than 100 were of European
origin.

In 1876 imports were valued at £476,813 and exports at £619,260. Telephone links with Britain were established by 1886, and electric street lighting in 1898.In August 1896, Charles Joseph George and G.W. Neville,both merchants and both unofficial members of the Legislative Council, presented a petition urging construction of the railway terminus on Lagos Island rather than at Ido, and also asking for the railway to be extended to Abeokuta. Lagos history is rich in Yoruba tradition,trade and
commerce,infrastructural development and cosmopolitanism." -EXTRACTED

With the little facts above, I would like to educate some illiterates making stupid assumption from blind sentiments that they developed Lagos.

Lagosians had telephone presence in 1886, Itu and Calabar got connected to Telephone in 1923, while between 1946 and 1952, a three-channel line carrier system was commissioned between Lagos and Ibadan and was later extended to Oshogbo, Kaduna, Kano, Benin, and Enugu. Communication technology is a major signifier of civilizations and if Lagosians were already making telephone calls more than 70 years before your daddies, where then did you get the warped idea that you came to develop Lagos?

By 1856 Cable and Wireless Company of the UK had commissioned a submarine cable link between Lagos and London and In 1851 a post office was established in Lagos; all these before of the emergence of Nigeria as an amalgamated country. If I may ask again, where did the stupid idea that Igbo developed Lagos came from? Or that Lagos was developed with Nigeria's money when Lagos was not even part of Nigeria until 1914.

I always feel embarrassed anytime I read and hear even so-called educated people from the East making these stupid assertions.

The first Yoruba lawyer Christopher Alexander Sapara Williams was called to the English Bar in 1879 whilst the first Igbo lawyer, Sir Louis Mbanefo, was called to the English bar in 1937. Again the first Yoruba medical practitioner, Dr. Nathaniel King, graduated in 1875 from the University of Edinburgh whilst the first Igbo medical practitioner, Dr. Akannu Ibiam, graduated from another Scottish University in 1935. Again I ask, where did the ignorant hypothesis of the backward Yoruba race who needed development by the superior Igbo race come from? For the sake of our generation and posterity we need to teach factual history and not just cook up some cock and bull ego-centric concoctions as facts. The attitude of recycling long tales steeped in empty arrogance should be discarded before you miseducate your kids with fictions.

Awolowo will continue to be the Yoruba hero not because of blind followership but because he gave his people the system of free education, free healthcare and he introduced Television to the Yoruba; making Yorubaland the first region to have a TV station in Africa all done with revenues from Cocoa. It is crass ignorance and naked buffonery to claim Lagos was built with Nigeria's money. In addition, where did the foolish idea that the Igbo brought civilization to Lagos and Yoruba-land come from?

The aim of this post is not to deride any tribe but to correct the dangerous misinformation trending among some Igbo youths and common in their narratives that Lagos is a no-man's land and that their fathers built and develop Lagos. Your forebears came to Yoruba-land like every other settlers and we appreciate their contributions but the stupid claim that Igbo built and develop Lagos is a gross display of stupidity because Lagos was already developed before your forebears came here from their villages and towns.

The first storey building in Nigeria was built in Marina, Badagry in 1845, long before some of hinterland people gave up the idea of conical mud houses with thatched roofs which some boastfully called 'ancient mansions.' How can you now claim your grand-sires developed Lagos? Please if you are one of those spreading the fiction, I expect you to desist from self-delusion and collective amnesia forthwith.

The first Igbo alphabet-character set and Igbo primer (Isoama-Ibo) was published by Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther (a yoruba man from Osogun) in 1857. How can you now claim superiority over the Yoruba race and even carelessly affirm that your forebears should be thanked for bringing enlightenment to Yoruba Land?

While I do not see all these achievements as a sign of Yoruba superiority over the Igbo or any other tribe for I do not believe in racial superiority; I will not also tolerate any attempt by bigots who stoke ethnic hatred through incitement and arrogant claims of superiority over others.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jul 02, 2018
Herdsmen
Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jul 02, 2018
firebrand:
As copied.

LAGOS MY STATE

"By 1872 Lagos was a cosmopolitan trading center with a population of over 60,000 people.Colonial Lagos developed into a busy, cosmopolitan port, with an architecture that blended Victorian and Brazilian styles.The Brazilian element was imparted by skilled builders and masons who had returned from Brazil Th.e black elite was composed of English-speaking "Saros" from Sierra Leone and other emancipated slaves who had been repatriated from Brazil and Cuba.By 1872 the population of the colony was over 60,000, of whom less than 100 were of European
origin.

In 1876 imports were valued at £476,813 and exports at £619,260. Telephone links with Britain were established by 1886, and electric street lighting in 1898.In August 1896, Charles Joseph George and G.W. Neville,both merchants and both unofficial members of the Legislative Council, presented a petition urging construction of the railway terminus on Lagos Island rather than at Ido, and also asking for the railway to be extended to Abeokuta. Lagos history is rich in Yoruba tradition,trade and

With the little facts above, I would like to educate some illiterates making stupid assumption from blind sentiments that they developed Lagos.

Lagosians had telephone presence in 1886, Itu and Calabar got connected to Telephone in 1923, while between 1946 and 1952, a three-channel line carrier system was commissioned between Lagos and Ibadan and was later extended to Oshogbo, Kaduna, Kano, Benin, and Enugu. Communication technology is a major signifier of civilizations and if Lagosians were already making telephone calls more than 70 years before your daddies, where then did you get the warped idea that you came to develop Lagos?

By 1856 Cable and Wireless Company of the UK had commissioned a submarine cable link between Lagos and London and In 1851 a post office was established in Lagos; all these before of the emergence of Nigeria as an amalgamated country. If I may ask again, where did the stupid idea that Igbo developed Lagos came from? Or that Lagos was developed with Nigeria's money when Lagos was not even part of Nigeria until 1914.

I always feel embarrassed anytime I read and hear even so-called educated people from the East making these stupid assertions.

The first Yoruba lawyer Christopher Alexander Sapara Williams was called to the English Bar in 1879 whilst the first Igbo lawyer, Sir Louis Mbanefo, was called to the English bar in 1937. Again the first Yoruba medical practitioner, Dr. Nathaniel King, graduated in 1875 from the University of Edinburgh whilst the first Igbo medical practitioner, Dr. Akannu Ibiam, graduated from another Scottish University in 1935. Again I ask, where did the ignorant hypothesis of the backward Yoruba race who needed development by the superior Igbo race come from? For the sake of our generation and posterity we need to teach factual history and not just cook up some cock and bull ego-centric concoctions as facts. The attitude of recycling long tales steeped in empty arrogance should be discarded before you miseducate your kids with fictions.

Awolowo will continue to be the Yoruba hero not because of blind followership but because he gave his people the system of free education, free healthcare and he introduced Television to the Yoruba; making Yorubaland the first region to have a TV station in Africa all done with revenues from Cocoa. It is crass ignorance and naked buffonery to claim Lagos was built with Nigeria's money. In addition, where did the foolish idea that the Igbo brought civilization to Lagos and Yoruba-land come from?

The aim of this post is not to deride any tribe but to correct the dangerous misinformation trending among some Igbo youths and common in their narratives that Lagos is a no-man's land and that their fathers built and develop Lagos. Your forebears came to Yoruba-land like every other settlers and we appreciate their contributions but the stupid claim that Igbo built and develop Lagos is a gross display of stupidity because Lagos was already developed before your forebears came here from their villages and towns.

The first storey building in Nigeria was built in Marina, Badagry in 1845, long before some of hinterland people gave up the idea of conical mud houses with thatched roofs which some boastfully called 'ancient mansions.' How can you now claim your grand-sires developed Lagos? Please if you are one of those spreading the fiction, I expect you to desist from self-delusion and collective amnesia forthwith.

The first Igbo alphabet-character set and Igbo primer (Isoama-Ibo) was published by Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther (a yoruba man from Osogun) in 1857. How can you now claim superiority over the Yoruba race and even carelessly affirm that your forebears should be thanked for bringing enlightenment to Yoruba Land?

While I do not see all these achievements as a sign of Yoruba superiority over the Igbo or any other tribe for I do not believe in racial superiority; I will not also tolerate any attempt by bigots who stoke ethnic hatred through incitement and arrogant claims of superiority over others.

Yesterday leads the path for today
Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? by firebrand: 9:51pm On Jul 02, 2018
[quote author=Fame333 post=69023713]

Yesterday leads the path for today

Yesterday said development in Lagos predated the amalgamation of the Northern and Southern parts of Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? by Christistruth00: 2:10pm On Jul 05, 2018
Lagos

Awori Yoruba

(The Awori Yoruba Idejo Chiefs are the traditional Land owners of Lagos.)

In 1903 the British colonial Governor of Lagos (Sir William Macgregor) requested the Ooni travel to Lagos and rule among the Lagos Chiefs who was entitled to wear a beaded crown in Yorubaland.

Kingdoms of the Yoruba page 13.
By Robert Sydney Smith

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? by Christistruth00: 2:44pm On Jul 05, 2018
Ijebu ,Egun and Ilaje ,also have their. Areas.

1 Like

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jul 05, 2018
firebrand:
As copied.

LAGOS MY STATE

origin.

Your assertion are all bigoted... In the 1800's after the abolition of slave trade in slave coast(Nigeria), the British did want to find another source of income to pay the cost to administer their colony and protectorates. And that source of revenue was palm oil, being that it was being used as grease, and also used In the produce of Cosmetic tools, having high demand in the European countries in that period. Calabar Was the first capital that the British had settled(and that's because calabar was a major state that had advocated for the end in slavery), but based on its distance from their home country, they shifted it's location to the island of Lagos,where they had made a port, and several head offices and buildings, (where exactly do you think these monies came from) would you say it's the East Dutch Indian comapny, No! because different states used their resources to develop their regions.
The only source of revenue for "coming Nigeria" then was it's palm oil being produced from the eastern states, Lagos had no resource of any value to develop their states at this particular times in the 1800's.
As progression started, being that the British had made a capital, and kept all infrastructures to make it urban, Nigerians from other states flocked in, to either search for opportunities or sell their produce based on its viable market. Lagos was made the capital by our nationalist(as you do know them) after Nigerians independence from the British, in which it was also included in the constitution. But before then, the palm oil lost its value, based on a more better motor spirit and grease, in which we all know as crude-oil... First found 1953 in oloibiri, Bayelsa state, Nigeria. There was a high demand for this product, and Nigeria took this advantage, they had so extracted and produced this resource in this region and used the proceeds in developing other states, especially states like Lagos, (Lagos had no efficient tax system in that period) , the extractive instruments and machines where in the reserve region, why Lagos enjoyed the company head quarters, roads, and various infrastructures.
So in those period, the Ghanaians, Lebanese, all flocked into Lagos to add to the development by doing menial and white-collar jobs,( but you know the story) Nigerians were distraught and sent them packing to their countries, making Nigerians to come enjoy their National cake,(that's how Lagos was termed then) by its citizens . The Igbos and other tribes came in and also added to the massive population of Lagos, making companies and jobs in a spiralling growth. In which, because of the exponential growth observation by the UN and it's department of population records (Bureau of population) had tagged Lagos and Nigeria the fastest growing black populace, in 2006.
Now check states like core western states like Ibadan, osogbo and the rest... Although there's development, but companies don't troop in there in their will if you tagged it "Yorubas own accomplishments ",that's because the market are not there, and where there is no market (as diverse as Lagos), no infrastructure, and overall development... So my brother, be lucky to have the Igbos and other states in the south and east to make what Lagos is today. smiley
Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? by Sinistami(m): 8:46pm On Jul 05, 2018
Lagos belongs to anybody who was born and raised there or who had lived there for 18 to 20 years. Shikina must every thing belong to a tribe.
Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? by YourNemesis: 9:29pm On Jul 05, 2018
Sinistami:
Lagos belongs to anybody who was born and raised there or who had lived there for 18 to 20 years. Shikina must every thing belong to a tribe.

Anybody born and raised there lol
Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? by davidnazee: 10:17pm On Jul 05, 2018
firebrand:
As copied.

LAGOS MY STATE

origin.

Your story starts in the 19th century.. So before that time there was no Lagos??

1 Like

Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? by Sinistami(m): 6:26am On Jul 06, 2018
YourNemesis:

Anybody born and raised there lol
What
Re: Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? by bluke(m): 6:07pm On Aug 05, 2018
The only source of revenue for "coming Nigeria" then was it's palm oil being produced from the eastern states, Lagos had no resource of any value to develop their states at this particular times in the 1800's.

read more on basorun gaa,
how he controlled the trade routes down to dahomey.
yoruba territory extended to togo

(1) (Reply)

Which Of The Tribe In Nigeria Is Rated The Richest? / Understanding The Making Of Olubadan Of Ibadanland – Mogaji Wole Arisekola / Spiritual Findings About You To Know Your Problems Causes.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.