Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,326 members, 7,808,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:11 AM

Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria (62591 Views)

Nigeria’s Highest Paid CEOs / Highest Paid Jobs In Nigeria Apart From The Oil Industry. / IT Audit Profession In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by kemd: 5:05pm On Jun 13, 2010
professonal clearing/logistics agents. cool money
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by olalkn(m): 5:45pm On Jun 13, 2010
Politics, end of story.
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by swiftycool(m): 6:30am On Jun 14, 2010
kemd:

professonal clearing/logistics agents. cool money
@Kemd, hmmmm i've never heard of those, do you by chance have any idea how much they make how and what it is they actually do?
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by ihwiwhu: 10:51am On Jun 15, 2010
the construction section , i mean architecture, structural n civil engineering undecided undecided
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by seXytOhbAd(m): 12:42pm On Jun 15, 2010
i probably would have to give it to contractors or better yet the middlemen who hunt for contracts and then "sell" it to the real companies who do the real work, real estate agents also make a lotta moohlah, my friend made 6.5 m last month from a 290m crib in abj, he was part of a "consortium" of real estate agents
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by lekside44(m): 1:53pm On Jun 15, 2010
formally,soilder
see ibb, abacha, obasanjo, even david mark. which school them go?
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by newcreatio(m): 3:44pm On Jun 15, 2010
Some answers given by some naija people are very frustrating, I thought the question was the most lucrative "profession"

Abi e kin gbo oyibo ni? angry

PROFESSION, PROFESSION, PROFESSION (profession is synonym for job, career, something you studied in school or learnt after school requiring technical or professional expertise, a service carried out, payable in salary, wage, or contractual agreement), bla bla bla,

E lo ka wikipaedia now      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profession"A profession arises when any trade or occupation transforms itself through "the development of formal qualifications based upon education, apprenticeship, and examinations, the emergence of regulatory bodies with powers to admit and discipline members, and some degree of monopoly rights."

Abi una bi olodo ni! angry

I tire for una o!

Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by basking4me: 7:43pm On Jun 15, 2010
Newcreatio, Thank you for reminding us what a profession is ,

The highest paid profession or professional would be the guy who runs his own business.

He may not be so rich when starting out but he's getting there in time.

There is nothing as fulfilling and complementing as running your own time, business and deciding for yourself, how much you want to earn. So as a professional practising my profession in my own company, i can decide to want a salary of N5million a month.

That simply translates to tuning my work to make sure that my net per month is in excess of 5M, so I can pay my salary and those of my staff and keep the company running.
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by adaphik(f): 12:20pm On Jun 16, 2010
newcreatio:

Some answers given by some naija people are very frustrating, I thought the question was the most lucrative "profession"

Abi e kin gbo oyibo ni? angry

PROFESSION, PROFESSION, PROFESSION (profession is synonym for job, career, something you studied in school or learnt after school requiring technical or professional expertise, a service carried out, payable in salary, wage, or contractual agreement), bla bla bla,

E lo ka wikipaedia now      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profession"A profession arises when any trade or occupation transforms itself through "the development of formal qualifications based upon education, apprenticeship, and examinations, the emergence of regulatory bodies with powers to admit and discipline members, and some degree of monopoly rights."

Abi una bi olodo ni! angry

I tire for una o!
My broda, thank u jareeee, me sef i taya for some of these ppl. They'd just make a comment without understand what is been asked. NA WA. Thanks for enlightening them on what 'PROFESSION' means. Some of the comments are ANNOYING.
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by manosteel(m): 10:27pm On Jun 16, 2010
Just go into oil business. It does not matter if it is palm oil or Kulikuli oil, the name rings bell and the sky will be your limit.
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by agitator: 7:52am On Jun 17, 2010
basking4me:

Newcreatio, Thank you for reminding us what a profession is ,

The highest paid profession or professional would be the guy who runs his own business.

He may not be so rich when starting out but he's getting there in time.

There is nothing as fulfilling and complementing as running your own time, business and deciding for yourself, how much you want to earn. So as a professional practising my profession in my own company, i can decide to want a salary of N5million a month.

That simply translates to tuning my work to make sure that my net per month is in excess of 5M, so I can pay my salary and those of my staff and keep the company running.

If everybody buys your idea who will be your staff? robots or human beings?
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by naturaltee(f): 11:36am On Jun 17, 2010
for me o i think pastors( d 1 wey sabi see vision well well) is d highest payin n most lucrativ job right nw. just knw how to romance ur members and dats all grin
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by newcreatio(m): 12:01pm On Jun 17, 2010
for me o i think pastors( d 1 wey sabi see vision well well) is d highest payin n most lucrativ job right nw. just knw how to romance your members and dats all

I dont quite undastand dat undecided
But at d starters church work will first take all of your money, nights, sleep, everything that that makes u human goes wit it and u MUSt PRODUCE REAL GENUINE RESULTS for your members to the point that they RECOGNIZE IT IS YOUR INPUT that brought them this forth through God, If nah u, in what way can u appreciate the man of God, MONEY, and if you don't, even u will not feel satisfied and happy grin

I am talking from experience bro
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by obeademola: 12:35pm On Jul 09, 2010
obviously the most lucrative profession in Nigeria of today is Fraud if you can find your way in to it and with the right click, better still join the militants
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 12:39pm On Jul 09, 2010
It would be nice if we could have professionals in the various fields talk about renumeration structure in their industries.
All these comments about church and fraud are not really helping.
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jul 09, 2010
Multi-wetin? Abeg, talk something else.
Do u know the number people who are employed yearly by these multinationals through signed complimentary cards of some big shots irrespective of the course they have studied? Just go to university and obtain a degree, that's all; whether Yoruba or Hausa

I absolutely disagree with this. Most MNCs in Nigeria are merit-driven. At least I can talk for Shell, Chevron and Mobil. Of course, connection may get one or two people in, but 97% are merit-based. Secondly, especially for Shell, their recruitment standard is global, whether in Nigeria or Malaysia or Europe.

I have undergone Shell recruitment process in the past and got to final stage, SRD, but couldn't show up at Warri, for the exercise, due to an error of judgment and fluffed the opportunity.

I have at least two friends that got jobs in Shell without knowing anybody; from a poor background but very brilliant. Their recruitment process is merit-driven, but very competitive, forget about complementary cards.
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by olaolabiy: 2:29am On Jul 10, 2010
Jarus:

I absolutely disagree with this. Most MNCs in Nigeria are merit-driven. At least I can talk for Shell, Chevron and Mobil. Of course, connection may get one or two people in, but 97% are merit-based. Secondly, especially for Shell, their recruitment standard is global, whether in Nigeria or Malaysia or Europe.

I have undergone Shell recruitment process in the past and got to final stage, SRD, but couldn't show up at Warri, for the exercise, due to an error of judgment and fluffed the opportunity.

I have at least two friends that got jobs in Shell without knowing anybody; from a poor background but very brilliant. Their recruitment process is merit-driven, but very competitive, forget about complementary cards.

@jarus,
do you really understand what you're talking about? 97%? in nigeria? you really need to mingle. merit-driven in nigeria? did you mean when getting experienced employees ( who can really better MNCs' lot) or fresh graduates? how many ministers of petroleum have we had in the last 20 years? trust me, each and every one of them could get you jobs with these so-called MNCs. then, permanent secretaries, niger delta governors/MILADs.former military leaders, judges,NDDC people (one is about to give my friend chevron job and the guy is still relaxing in london) , emirs,other ministers and vitually everybody in the presidency.
you really surprised me and it seems you don't understand nigeria or how things work in nigeria.
they dare not say no to all these people else they lose license for juicy oil allocations. but, obviously, some are merit-driven. but this can't be more than 65%.

if i may ask you, are admissions to universities in nigeria merit-driven, even to study medicine? are placements for doctors at LUTH, UCH merit-driven? would you say all WAEC/JAMB results are merit-driven also?
you'd better 'LOOK' well so that you're not left behind.
and, please answer this: despite your brilliance, have all the jobs you have had in your life (especially, when you first graduated) come to you whithout you knowing anybody; be it brother/friend/relative/acquantance. even if they only helped just to get you shortlisted before you eventually proved yourself as brilliant? even when you went to vetiva?please answer.
merit-driven MNCs;my foot!
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 6:59am On Jul 10, 2010
^^
I beg to differ, and I'll align with Jarus.
There is always room for merit. I have never gotten any job so far from an introduction, and I have worked in 2 MNCs now.
My wife is also working in an MNC, the one that is most notorious for who-you-know. She got the job 100% on merit.

That's not to say there is no who-you-know. That exists not only in Nigeria, but everywhere in the world. Some grad schools in the US you can't even get into unless you know somebody. But that does not rule out merit.
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by olaolabiy: 9:06am On Jul 10, 2010
^^^^
but would you say it is 97% like jarus said? because i can acutally give you evidence to the contrary. and if all the MNCs you know are truely merit-driven, please tell me their names as i am sure (not bragging though) i will pass their test(s). for sure! i have a brother who is a doctor and he was contantly denied opportunities in nigeria before he came back abroad where he studied. no merit.despite his brilliance.
and this is medicine oooooooo. that deals with our wellbeing. yet no merit.
if i tell his story, you'd hate nigeria.
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 10:02am On Jul 10, 2010
ola olabiy:

^^^^
but would you say it is 97% like jarus said? because i can acutally give you evidence to the contrary. and if all the MNCs you know are truely merit-driven, please tell me their names as i am sure (not bragging though) i will pass their test(s). for sure! i have a brother who is a doctor and he was contantly denied opportunities in nigeria before he came back abroad where he studied. no merit.despite his brilliance.
and this is medicine oooooooo. that deals with our wellbeing. yet no merit.
if i tell his story, you'd hate nigeria.

You have a very good point; it's nowhere near 97%.
But I would still say at least 60% of jobs are via merit. After all, I work in an MNC as a manager, and I hire people every now and then.
Of course you cannot rule out profligiacy, which is huge in Nigeria. Yoruba-owned companies hire largely people from the South-West and Igbo-owned companies hire by default from the South-East. That remains a big problem in Nigeria, and is part of the overall trust and nationhood issue.

But merit is still there. If I look back over the last decade, so many of my contemporaries have been able to forge a career, despite not having any connections beyond somebody possibly helping you to submit your CV for an unadvertised vacancy. But the pre-requisites, such as a good degree in a discipline in demand, must be in place. The last ten years have also been good to Nigerians. many new jobs have been created, a far cry from the 90s when people were basically graduating into unemployment.

I hope this trend can continue as government proceeds with basic reforms. There is so much opportunity held down by a greedy and unrepentant few. As per your doctor brother, I would say medicine has progressively declined in Nigeria over the last thirty years. If your brother did not relocate, I wonder what he would have been doing in Nigeria.
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by lekside44(m): 1:38pm On Jul 10, 2010
ola olabiy:

^^^^
, i have a brother who is a doctor and he was contantly denied opportunities in nigeria before he came back abroad where he studied. no merit.despite his brilliance.
and this is medicine oooooooo. ,

well, what happens is that there are some establishments in which the people there wants to maintain absolute control. a guru may applied to such establishments, but the people there migth see their inclusion as a treat to their monopoly of power. it happens every where, even in the university and the military. many foreign trainned lecturals are denied the opportunity to lecture back home because they felt when introduced into the system, they may start dictating the tempo of things against the wish of the home base lecturals. in the military, the short service commissioned officers are discreminated against by the full combatant officers, even of the same rank. they see them as civillians in military uniforms. the list goes on and on.
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by olaolabiy: 7:20pm On Jul 11, 2010
AjanleKoko:

You have a very good point; it's nowhere near 97%.
But I would still say at least 60% of jobs are via merit. After all, I work in an MNC as a manager, and I hire people every now and then.
Of course you cannot rule out profligiacy, which is huge in Nigeria. Yoruba-owned companies hire largely people from the South-West and Igbo-owned companies hire by default from the South-East. That remains a big problem in Nigeria, and is part of the overall trust and nationhood issue.

But merit is still there. If I look back over the last decade, so many of my contemporaries have been able to forge a career, despite not having any connections beyond somebody possibly helping you to submit your CV for an unadvertised vacancy. But the pre-requisites, such as a good degree in a discipline in demand, must be in place. The last ten years have also been good to Nigerians. many new jobs have been created, a far cry from the 90s when people were basically graduating into unemployment.

I hope this trend can continue as government proceeds with basic reforms. There is so much opportunity held down by a greedy and unrepentant few. As per your doctor brother, I would say medicine has progressively declined in Nigeria over the last thirty years. If your brother did not relocate, I wonder what he would have been doing in Nigeria.

i think i have to take your word as you work for one of these MNCs. i think it is truely 3-in-5 situation at top companies in naija. 60% of employees are merit-driven. most of these merit-driven positions are however found at top or managerial level. so their CVs speak for them.
you are also right to say that nepotism exists the world over, though at a much more mild rate compared to naija. i once dated a daughter of a nigerian bigshot who came to the uk for her LLB. 3 siblings doin masters at the same time. they all returned to nigeria to work in top companies without any interview. her dad is a top judge (name withheld). no hard feeling as i would like to be in their position.

favouritism.
worringly, that is naija.
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by gametalk: 7:02pm On Jul 16, 2010
Jarus, Pls and pls, ANSWER THOSE QUESTIONS>>>>>
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by tyor: 2:49pm On Jul 22, 2010
to the best of my small experience auditing these MNCs, I would align with Ola_Olabiy.

THE PROBLEM IS THE SELECTION METHOD, u can say that the test and interview is based on merit, who and who did they invite to write the tests and attend interviews? (if they say they want 2nd class upper, 25 years, etc, is it everyone that applied and have the required criteria that they invited?)

I remember that early last year (2009), shell called for Graduate positions and I applied (just like loads of my friends and colleagues), only for me to hear from friend on a sunday that another old colleague of ours was having an interview with shell that week-end. He used influence from his uncle who is a Chief in the Nigerian Army (albeit, he was not taken eventually)

If a whole recruitment process is a SHAM, then why are we talking about 97% (it is circa 60% merit).

Shortly after the recruitment, we all received mails that the recruitment has been suspended till further notice.

until, I get to the top and see how it is done, i would not conclude that any organisation is holy.
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by agitator: 8:11am On Jul 23, 2010
^^^ It is dumb who benefit from such sham who will tell you it is done on merit, to hide their ineptitude.

At least the smart and intelligent ones tell you the truth even though they benefit from the sham.
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 9:58am On Jul 23, 2010
You guys should look at it like this:

If Shell needs 100 people, they probably only have 55 or 60 merit slots.
Remember when you did JAMB. I don't know how it runs nowadays, but in my time, there was catchment area. Apart from Unilag, UI, and Abuja, every other school had catchment areas. There was also ELDS (educationally disadvantaged states), etc. And of course we all knew that top profs usually had lists.

Work is just like that. There are few well-paying jobs, and many people who want those jobs. So there is no way that influence won't play a role.
If you compare with the developed countries, you'll find a similar pattern. I am sure getting a job in Morgan Stanley or Goldman Sachs will have the merit, as well as the 'influence' candidates. It is a demand and supply thing.

So it doesn't mean the whole process is a sham. There are just less slots available, and you have to work harder. Else you have yourself to blame.
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by jaybee3(m): 10:06am On Jul 23, 2010
^^^^^
Pls pardon my ignorance, what does MNC stand for shocked shocked
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by agitator: 10:47am On Jul 23, 2010
MNC = Multi-National Companies
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by jaybee3(m): 11:18am On Jul 23, 2010
Oh i c. thnks bro
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by candylips(m): 2:09pm On Jul 23, 2010
if 60% is based on merit then as long as you are good and have solid experience you shouldn't have any problem getting a job in any of these MNC i think
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by YOMISAP: 6:40pm On Jul 23, 2010
Dear Professionals,

On march 2010, the Nigerian house of senate approved Business Analysis into the main stream of professional body and also approved to use the designated word "Chattered". This approval presents an opportunity to the interested and qualified Nigerians to augment their professional portfolio with internationally recognized Business Analysis certification.

Business Analysts are required in every organization as they provide tremendous value to the growth and continuity of the Business. With a Business Analysis Expert, an organization is well positioned even in the face of fiece competition. A Business Analyst review the business scope, strategy and future goal and reccomend the best strategy to initiate for the ultimate realization of the organizational objectives.

Business Analysts are in high demand and their value is never under-estimated across the continent.

In lieu of the above, Abaster Consulting and Training Ltd, a subsidiary of Abaster Consulting firm Canada has been approved by the International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA) to offer Business Analysis program in Nigeria . IIBA is the body that regulates Business Analysis in the world.
For more information please send us an email at info@abasterconsulting.com.

Our SAP Training cut across all modules!!! Thanks
Re: Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria by swiftycool(m): 6:07am On Jul 27, 2010
Maybe the topic should have been highest paid professionals and most lucrative occupations in Nigeria, we seem to have a general understanding that they both mean the same thing but they are not. The truth is that many people are educated in various  professions but end up in different occupations just to earn a living. Occupations could be like banking, customer services, politics etc while professions still remain as doctors, lawyers engineers, teachers and the popular ones that specifically involve the act of technical professing.

i believe banking is the most lucrative occupation now in Nigeria though may not be highest paid, correct me if am wrong but please which is the highest paid/ lucrative profession, if you know of any and have an idea of how much they earn in figgures spill it out and lets quit beating about the bush!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? / Banke, Lady Uses Recycled Tyres To Build Furniture (Photos) / I Received My First Salary Today (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.