Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,853 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:17 AM

P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch (30266 Views)

Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Nobody: 11:24am On Jul 04, 2018
The terrible condition of roads around Agbara and Lagos-Badagry expressway is enough reason for all the companies and people(local and expats) to shut down.

Yesterday, I made up my mind never to put my car on that road for whatever reason. From Alakija down to Seme is the worst stretch of road any human being, dead or alive, has ever seen.

2 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by otokx(m): 11:24am On Jul 04, 2018
Doing legitimate business in Nigeria is not easy, if you know you know.

2 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by thunderbabs: 11:25am On Jul 04, 2018
That's the kind of progress APC and buhari tells you they are making... Lol.

Terrible leadership, very bad economic policies, very hostile socio-economic environment.

Nigerians will bear the brunt there again... Another mass lay-off.

Shameless country undecided

1 Like

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by wristbangle: 11:26am On Jul 04, 2018
This is really sad. When are we going to get it right in this country?

Many factors that contribute to business success can be attributed to raw material access, good road network, stable electricity supply and adequate skilled labour.

We manageably have skilled labour factor but others are seriously deficient.

With the way this nation is heading, I hope we won't head into chaos. For the likes of P&G shutting down their operation, Nigeria is in serious trouble.

The government as a matter of urgency need to review their wicked and archaic import duty and other irrelevant taxes to ease doing business from foreign investors.

This news is a bad omen in our industrial sector. Seeing the likes of P&G leaving for Ghana or Kenya is a disgrace and a huge slap to our government.

The nepotism of this present government stench to the heavens and the best is to say NO to the clueless daura.

Irrespective of our difference, the south and middle belt regions should join hands to vote a competent leader but unfortunately the candidates showing interest are feathers of clueless beings.

6 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Tolbanks(f): 11:26am On Jul 04, 2018
Stale news
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by otokx(m): 11:26am On Jul 04, 2018
Atom007:
Runs kills P n G, I wish any of the top official can read this, u guys should be doing proper checking of all d loaded trucks for Ariel , pampers among other things. I know what am saying, no company can survive on runs by workers......

Nigerian workers like runs, if its possible they can rent the air you breathe once you step into their office. The worse part is that they are so religious.

3 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by izzou(m): 11:27am On Jul 04, 2018
Lucid1:

Even bigger firms have shutdown due to bad business decisions. P&G isn't immune to this. It's a pity though

A real pity
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by franchasng: 11:29am On Jul 04, 2018
Organism000:
Cost of doing business in Nigeria is very high, the near absence of Electricity is yet another crisis. I am personally closing my plans for factories now and I have divested my interests to businesses that are less dependent on electricity and importation of concentrates.

The country has no hope for now.
My brother this is not just peculiar to P&G alone, even my small startup has suffered great loss since 2016 unlike before.

Nigerians need to wake up from their slumber....stop voting dull people as leaders out of tribal and religious sentiments.

Buhari is not just dull, he is old and out of touch with modern economy and technology trends and people still think such a person is fit to lead over 170 million people to a great future

We need visionary leaders who are young, vibrant, successful in their chosen field, liberal in thinking, non-tribalistic and non-religious extremist who would think national economy development first before thinking about their tribe, religion and family.

We need a leader that is very much in touch with modern global economy activities and politics that comes with it.

And most importantly, it is time for Nigeria to embrace restructuring of Nigeria to form independent regions that will ginger and spring up healthy competitions among regions in coming up human and capital developmental projects that will prosper their regions and hence prosper Nigeria.

If we can't do all these, then the future of Nigeria is bleak cry

8 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by PastorOluT(m): 11:30am On Jul 04, 2018
Shake my head for this nation, so the government can't lessen import duties and make things easy for this foreign investors? Many in the helms of affairs do not care in as much as they are getting paid through the corrupt practices. What in the world is wrong with this nation, are we cursed?
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by doctokwus: 11:31am On Jul 04, 2018
P&G is just being used by desperate politicians to demarket Buhari.
They deliberately shut their plant after being bribed with looted funds by the opposition.
More investors and heads of government are trooping to visit Nigeria daily,just yesterday the French president was here.
In the coming days and months,Amazon,Mercedez Benz,Russian oil giant,Gasprom would set up multi-million dollar factories here.The German Chancellor,UK PM and Russian president will also hold bilateral talks with the government.Even the North Korean leader,Kim Jim Hungry will make his first ever visit to a country outside Asia!
The government of Buhari is the best thing to happen to Nigeria since Coconut rice was discovered,so P&G should not allow itself to be used by corrupt politicians whose sources of ill-gotten wealth have been blocked by the No.1 anti corruption crusader in Africa.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by blackgold2018(m): 11:34am On Jul 04, 2018
izzou:

So a company as big as P&G, with over decades of experience doing business all over the world, and invested about $300 million building a plant, didn't do a NICE FEASIBILITY STUDY, according to you? undecided

You are very funny, you know grin
lol you just spoke my mind. The government new importation policies caused it.
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Nobody: 11:40am On Jul 04, 2018
franchasng:
My brother this not just peculiar to P&G alone, even my small startup has suffered great loss since 2016 unlike before.

Nigerians need to wake up from their slumber....stop voting dull people as leaders out of tribal and religious sentiments.

Buhari is not just dull, he is old and out of touch with modern economy and technology trends and people still think such a person is fit to lead over 170 million people to a great future

We need visionary leaders who are young, vibrant, successful in their chosen field, liberal in thinking, non-tribalistic and non-religious extremist who would think national economy development first before thinking about their tribe, religion and family.

We need a leader that is very much in touch with modern global economy activities and politics that comes with it.

And most importantly, it is time for Nigeria to embrace restructuring of Nigeria to form independent regions that will ginger and spring up healthy competitions among regions in coming up human and capital developmental projects that will prosper their regions and hence prosper Nigeria.

If we can't do all these, then the future of Nigeria is bleak cry

You are absolutely spot on.

The only people who support Buhari, from my comprehensive surveys have been people who have never owned a business, never hired people, never invested and largely jobless, hence they have zero understanding of the economic implications of having a man who has zero knowledge of micro-macro economic indicators.

Nigerians who really support Buhari should begin to link their unemployment status to the politics at play, instead of always planning to run to foreign countries. Those countries work because the voters are educated on economic dynamics. God does not give food, religions do not give food, God does not give money, religions do not give money, they TAKE! Tribes do not give money, they take.

So every Nigerian that is tribal is usually poor people who are ill-informed, so they keep on voting in the same people who keep them ignorant.

The greatest trick of the Gods, whether humanoid or etheric is to keep humans in perpetual ignorance of their real powers, so they can continue to be manipulated.

I take this gospel of common-sense to the ground floor of the poorest Nigerians being nairaland, and I say clearly, look at your life, is it better ? Why do you think great countries usually have great leaders ?

It begins with having an Educated and Business Oriented Presidency, it is only Businesses and Working Economies that Guarantees Wealth for Citizens.

I must stop here dear friend. If you want to succeed, start a small business that does not rely on Electricity constantly, put solar panels on your roof and get yourself Reverse Osmosis plant for your drinking water. Stop depending on others, cos Nigeria is fuccked, I am not sorry to say.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Xander85: 11:41am On Jul 04, 2018
Jokerman:
This is bad.....

.....this is dangerous! lipsrsealed
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by showafrica(m): 11:44am On Jul 04, 2018
Organism000:
Cost of doing business in Nigeria is very high, the near absence of Electricity is yet another crisis. I am personally closing my plans for factories now and I have divested my interests to businesses that are less dependent on electricity and importation of concentrates.

The country has no hope for now.

Your plans are in line, no hope for now in this ss hole and the oga at the top don't care. You know how Keefe d is feeling right now that's how some leaders feel. They believe since they are close to the end of there life , nothing worries them again. If we like let cows and humans fight thats non of there business
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by pocohantas(f): 11:45am On Jul 04, 2018
Nigeria keeps seeking FDIs, whereas there are no policies and basic infrastructures/amenities in place. How do they want these businesses to thrive? Fix the gadamn country first.

Most business owners are not even asking for too much, they just want power and little security.

2 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by cyrielo(m): 11:49am On Jul 04, 2018
izzou:

So a company as big as P&G, with over decades of experience doing business all over the world, and invested about $300 million building a plant, didn't do a NICE FEASIBILITY STUDY, according to you? undecided

You are very funny, you know grin
But then what is your point? They have clearly stated the reasons they are shutting down the plant, and that information could have been gotten from their feasibility study in my opinion. But still, I see where you're coming from given their reputation but their reason is baffling as it should have been identified earlier.
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by AngelicBeing: 11:50am On Jul 04, 2018
Watermelonman:
The terrible condition of roads around Agbara and Lagos-Badagry expressway is enough reason for all the companies and people(local and expats) to shut down.

Yesterday, I made up my mind never to put my car on that road for whatever reason. From Alakija down to Seme is the worst stretch of road any human being, dead or alive, has ever seen.
You are right
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Nobody: 11:52am On Jul 04, 2018
tolexy007:

what about road network? if u see the road that leads to agbara from atan to lusada my bro u go fear, despite so many industries in that area. the road there is very terrible

The deplorable road conditions are a different kettle of fish. We must not run away from our country. We must begin aggressive voters education, starting from Nairaland. The Gods can not do for Man, what Man, must do for itself. If at the end, Buhari still wins, it means Nigerians are now addicted to seeing blood, addicted to drugs, addicted to suffering and addicted to hearing sounds of Generators on their heads. As for me, I no longer turn on my generator at night, cos of the noise. So no more AC, I just keep the windows open with nets closed, cos apart from the noise giving me bad dreams, the thought of spending N10,000 per day on diesel for a big house is really making me think that I may not have enough kept for my kids and grand kids after I am gone.

So I now prioritize in order to have good reserve for my bloodline after I am gone.

4 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by franchasng: 11:52am On Jul 04, 2018
Organism000:

The only people who support Buhari, from my comprehensive surveys have been people who have never owned a business, never hired people, never invested and largely jobless, hence they have zero understanding of the economic implications of having a man who has zero knowledge of micro-macro economic indicators.

Nigerians who really support Buhari should begin to link their unemployment status to the politics at play, instead of always planning to run to foreign countries. Those countries work because the voters are educated on economic dynamics. God does not give food, religions do not give food, God does not give money, religions do not give money, they TAKE! Tribes do not give money, they take.

So every Nigerian that is tribal is usually poor people who are ill-informed, so they keep on voting in the same people who keep them ignorant.

The greatest trick of the Gods, whether humanoid or etheric is to keep humans in perpetual ignorance of their real powers, so they can continue to be manipulated.

I take this gospel of common-sense to the ground floor of the poorest Nigerians being nairaland, and I say clearly, look at your life, is it better ? Why do you think great countries usually have great leaders ?

It begins with having an Educated and Business Oriented Presidency, it is only Businesses and Working Economies that Guarantees Wealth for Citizens.

I must stop here dear friend. If you want to succeed, start a small business that does not rely on Electricity constantly, put solar panels on your roof and get yourself Reverse Osmosis plant for your drinking water. Stop depending on others, cos Nigeria is fuccked, I am not sorry to say.
How does this work Please explain more on the reverse osmosis.

I wrote a summarized article on how Nigeria can be savaged, which I posted on quora and it got international attention...I wished I could publish the article on any of our national dailies or even get it posted on a weekly interval here on nairaland front page if the moderators would reason with me...in the article, I examined a lot of solutions we need to savage Nigeria from total ruin.
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by AngelicBeing: 11:53am On Jul 04, 2018
doctokwus:
P&G is just being used by desperate politicians to demarket Buhari.
They deliberately shut their plant after being bribed with looted funds by the opposition.
More investors and heads of government are trooping to visit Nigeria daily,just yesterday the French president was here.
In the coming days and months,Amazon,Mercedez Benz,Russian oil giant,Gasprom would set up multi-million dollar factories here.The German Chancellor,UK PM and Russian president will also hold bilateral talks with the government.Even the North Korean leader,Kim Jim Hungry will make his first ever visit to a country outside Asia!
The government of Buhari is the best thing to happen to Nigeria since Coconut rice was discovered,so P&G should not allow itself to be used by corrupt politicians whose sources of ill-gotten wealth have been blocked by the No.1 anti corruption crusader in Africa.
shocked

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by AreaFada2: 11:54am On Jul 04, 2018
peeps4u:
Lalasticlala, didn't Buhari recently say investors were falling over themselves to come to Nigeria?

But take note of this quoted from the report.

"About 272 manufacturing plants were shut down across the country in 2016,according to the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria."

That does not matter to tribalists and religious extremists.

Just having power is good enough. Anyone that has no job or money can go and die. Dem nor send anyone.

Our people say "if you blind your eyes in order to avoid seeing your enemies, you also won't have eyes to see your friends".

2 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Tobyarab(m): 11:54am On Jul 04, 2018
oyegbe:
if they knew that getting up to even 50% of raw materials in Nigeria is difficult then they shouldn't have spent that money in setting up any factory in Nigeria. It's good to have a nice feasibility study before engaging in that type of business.
That factory was under construction before Buhari regime. They didn't know they would be this frustrated under his leadership.
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by franchasng: 11:55am On Jul 04, 2018
pocohantas:
Nigeria keeps seeking FDIs, whereas there are no policies and basic infrastructures/amenities in place. How do they want these businesses to thrive? Fix the gadamn country first.

Most business owners are not even asking for too much, they just want power and little security.
Yes o, all what Nigerian entrepreneurs are asking from the government are; steady electricity supply, security and good road network....with these things in place, Nigerians are ready to make a difference but the hell-bound leaders won't do that, they prefer to loot and run abroad to squander our commonwealth with their concubines angry angry
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Nobody: 11:56am On Jul 04, 2018
dumo1:

Try taking that money and blueprints to other African countries to invest. Nigeria is not worth it at all

Yeah, my blueprints will work in every country. I am building the brand already, I will duplicate in a few cities in Nigeria before Europe before coming to other African countries, cos I need to have some Equity Investors, and having a European outlet will augment the brand and get in FDIs prior to launching in other African countries.

1 Like

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by AngelicBeing: 11:57am On Jul 04, 2018
tolexy007:

what about road network? if u see the road that leads to agbara from atan to lusada my bro u go fear, despite so many industries in that area. the road there is very terrible
Spot on, the entire road on that axis is enough to make a company shut down, Ogun state government is not ready to do anything sad
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by cyrielo(m): 11:57am On Jul 04, 2018
Organism000:

Nigeria is truly fuccked, I am not sorry to say either.

But I'm afraid this is going to go on for a couple more decades if not a century! A lot of Nigerians are very hateful and the Nigerians at the top (government) most of them are out for blood.

Anyone who tries to restructure this country for good would be putting his life on the line.

2 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by izzou(m): 12:01pm On Jul 04, 2018
cyrielo:

But then what is your point? They have clearly stated the reasons they are shutting down the plant, and that information could have been gotten from their feasibility study in my opinion. But still, I see where you're coming from given their reputation but their reason is baffling as it should have been identified earlier.

Their reason was the continuous rise in importation tariifs

If you decide to build a house, and you estimate a block to be at #200 in your feasibility study, and when you start, it rises to #180, and after a day or two, it rises to #195, and it less than a week, it's about #250.
Do you blame yourself or the factors affecting the rise?

Feasibility study is just feasible plans. It cannot determine the outcome entirely

2 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by olajide8(m): 12:01pm On Jul 04, 2018
izzou:
sad

I have no problem with anyone voting Buhari because of tribal or religious reasons

But voting Buhari because of his policies and because you think he's the best amongst others candidates shows that you are either still eating your mother's food, or you don't have any sense left in you.

P&G have been in business here for more than 2 decades, and a new plant commissioned in 2017 is being put up for sale in 2018? Na wa angry

The bottomline is they have been making money off nigeria - via exchange rate differentials - it pays them to import and sell us the products from over production in other area's or countries where they manufacture(dumping) then to manufacture in nigeria- if they were really interested in staying in nigeria- they would have applied for an nipp license like nasco and built it along with the plant - if you check well the true value of that factory site may not be more then $10m but because of our differentials they would look for someone to buy it at 200% of its true value - better business sense
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jul 04, 2018
franchasng:
How does this work Please explain more on the reverse osmosis.

I wrote a summarized article on how Nigeria can be savaged, which I posted on quora and it got international attention...I wished I could publish the article on any of our national dailies or even get it posted on a weekly interval here on nairaland front page if the moderators would reason with me...in the article, I examined a lot of solutions we need to savage Nigeria from total ruin.

It is a simple technology, I firstly installed the domestic machine, a smaller version 3 yrs ago, for just drinking water alone in the kitchen (meaning I havent been buying drinking water for the last 3 yrs), then this year, I went crazy with the expense, I installed an entire factory of water production level OS at my backyard, converted one of my BQs to water production plant and every litre of water running in my home, from wash hand basin, to car wash to even flushing of toilets is sparkling drinking water, so you can drink water from the table directly. I have entire water testing kits and even Microscopes, I mean excellent infrastructure just to proof to Nature that I cant buy water, but all is for my use. No sales, but if I want to sell, I just need only a bottling plant, but not interested in that for now cos of electricity issues.

Putting up the treatment plant set me back between 5m to 7m, not less. Produces 2,000 litres per hour, just for my house-hold.

2 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jul 04, 2018
cyrielo:
Nigeria is truly fuccked, I am not sorry to say either.

But I'm afraid this is going to go on for a couple more decades if not a century! A lot of Nigerians are very hateful and the Nigerians at the top (government) most of them are out for blood.

Anyone who tries to restructure this country for good would be putting his life on the line.

There is another way to do it. If IPOB could stop people from stepping out of their doors on May 30. We just need a uniting force that says, no voting until we are re-structured. I know I am not Igbo, and I am not IPOB, but I defend IPOB, and Kanu Nnamdi, because for the first time, some one gave up a blueprint of what can work.

If we decide that we are not voting, because there is no qualified Candidate, then we will win. They will not come home to drag us out. As a matter of fact, I am personally not voting cos I see no qualified Candidate. If I can not do anything to make a positive change possible, I will not support what is infact not the solution.

4 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Cersei: 12:05pm On Jul 04, 2018
That other diaper Molfix killed their pampers business.
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by franchasng: 12:06pm On Jul 04, 2018
Organism000:

It is a simple technology, I firstly installed the domestic machine, a smaller version 3 yrs ago, for just drinking water alone in the kitchen (meaning I havent been buying drinking water for the last 3 yrs), then this year, I went crazy with the expense, I installed an entire factory of water production level OS at my backyard, converted one of my BQs to water production plant and every litre of water running in my home, from wash hand basin, to car wash to even flushing of toilets is sparkling drinking water, so you can drink water from the table directly. I have entire water testing kits and even Microscopes, I mean excellent infrastructure just to proof to Nature that I cant buy water, but all is for my use. No sales, but if I want to sell, I just need only a bottling plant, but not interested in that for now cos of electricity issues.

Putting up the treatment plant set me back between 5m to 7m, not less. Produces 2,000 litres per hour, just for my house-hold.
Oh I see...its really a big project, thought its something one could monetize and sell to the masses, with the installation cost, it wont sell in Nigeria unless one target the upper class in some choice locations in Lagos, Abuja, PH and Enugu cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Top Payment Gateways In Nigeria / How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria / CBN Orders Banks To Sell Excess Dollars In 24 Hours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.